PDA

View Full Version : Willie Hunter

WillieP
03-08-2020, 04:16 PM
I hear that Willie Hunter has passed away. A great player and a nice man.

RIP

hibbydad
03-08-2020, 04:25 PM

RIP
Also a good Hibby

maturehibby
03-08-2020, 04:28 PM
A very good player .
A nice man and very knowledgeable on Football matters and in life generally
Met him in a church cafe he regularly attended with a few of his cronies and the banter was excellent

gbhibby
03-08-2020, 04:40 PM
RIP Willie met him a few times really nice guy.

inglisavhibs
03-08-2020, 04:56 PM

RIP
That’s sad, last time I saw him he was walking down Easter Road with John Murphy a while back. He wasn’t quite himself but always had a lively comment or two on the Hibs🤒 A great football man. RIP

brog
03-08-2020, 05:05 PM
Lovely footballer & a lovely guy. Soon after his Well & Hibs buddy Pat Quinn departed also.

The Harp
03-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Sad to hear of Willie's passing. Never had the opportunity of meeting him but admired his style of play from the terracing. Wonderfully gifted player who we missed out on signing until he was 28, considering he was an Edinburgh man and a big Hibs fan.
Condolences to Willie's family and friends.

RIP

hhibs
03-08-2020, 05:10 PM

RIP

Total agreement.

RIP Willie !

Seveno
03-08-2020, 05:30 PM
I met him a couple of years ago in Al Dente in Easter Road before an evening match. I told him that he was one of my favourite players and he seemed quite taken aback that anyone would remember him. He was a real gentleman and happy to chat.

winnipeg jets
03-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Rest in peace Willie, couldn’t meet a nicer guy and a fine footballer.

Forza Fred
04-08-2020, 12:30 AM
I met him a couple of years ago in Al Dente in Easter Road before an evening match. I told him that he was one of my favourite players and he seemed quite taken aback that anyone would remember him. He was a real gentleman and happy to chat.

I remember him well.

A midfielder, although we called them inside forwards then, with a football purist's deft touch, and capable of splitting a defence open with a silky pass.

A late 60's Scott Allan if you like.

Col L
04-08-2020, 06:51 AM
My Dad is the same age and grew up with him in Leith and he always spoke really highly of him as a man and a footballer. He was also known as Billy back then. They kept in touch over the decades. Hibs let Motherwell steal him from under their noses as a kid, but he found his way to Easter Road eventually.
I also think he did lots of good work for the Football Memories movement.
RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Col L
04-08-2020, 03:32 PM
My Dad is the same age and grew up with him in Leith and he always spoke really highly of him as a man and a footballer. He was also known as Billy back then. They kept in touch over the decades. Hibs let Motherwell steal him from under their noses as a kid, but he found his way to Easter Road eventually.
I also think he did lots of good work for the Football Memories movement.
RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoke to my old man about the sad news today. Turns out they went to school together at Broughton HS - which was then a bit of a rugby-playing school. Although my Dad was from Lochend, he had won a scholarship to go there. He says Willie Hunter was particularly close mates with another lad Bobby Roberts, who joined Motherwell at the same time, and who also went on to represent the Scottish League XI. Willie went one further by getting capped three times for the full Scotland team.

Willie loved Hibs while his mate Bobby was a Jambo. People that know Willie better will be able to keep me right but I think he came from the Abeyhill area, and my Dad says Willie was a great athlete as well as a footballer - always out running round Meadowbank or up Arthur's Seat.

There should be some good tributes in the obit pages in the next few days.

AndyM_1875
04-08-2020, 04:25 PM
Willie Hunter used to run the 'Ian St John Football Camps' which were held at Redford barracks in the summer.
Lots of players from Edinburgh Boys Clubs teams like Hutchie Vale, Salvesen, Tynecastle, Edina Hibs etc used to attend and you were mixed in with lads who were enthusiastic but maybe not in the Boys Club set up.
Some of them like me ended up playing directly for a boys club as a result of these camps.

Willie was a great coach and a thoroughly nice man and he didn't tolerate bad attitudes which made for brilliant football camps.

CMurdoch
04-08-2020, 10:30 PM
An interview Willie did with the Well Society in October 2018. Some Hibs content and a good watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StG5GYFpXr0

The Harp
04-08-2020, 11:24 PM
An interview Willie did with the Well Society in October 2018. Some Hibs content and a good watch.

Thanks for posting that CM, thoroughly enjoyed watching. Very good interview. Willie came across as a lovely, modest man with a wealth of stories to tell about his younger days. He'll be sadly missed.

Duke of Currie
05-08-2020, 06:49 AM
Willie Hunter used to run the 'Ian St John Football Camps' which were held at Redford barracks in the summer.
Lots of players from Edinburgh Boys Clubs teams like Hutchie Vale, Salvesen, Tynecastle, Edina Hibs etc used to attend and you were mixed in with lads who were enthusiastic but maybe not in the Boys Club set up.
Some of them like me ended up playing directly for a boys club as a result of these camps.

Willie was a great coach and a thoroughly nice man and he didn't tolerate bad attitudes which made for brilliant football camps.

Too young to remember him as a player but this is where I remember Willie from. Very well run camps and he managed to get other fantastic ex players involved in the coaching. As you said, a great coach and a thoroughly nice man.

familyman
06-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Too young to remember him as a player but this is where I remember Willie from. Very well run camps and he managed to get other fantastic ex players involved in the coaching. As you said, a great coach and a thoroughly nice man.
Some players just have that class and skill a joy to watch .....thank you

JimBHibees
06-08-2020, 02:32 PM

Really good to see that. Thanks for sharing. Interesting he enjoyed writing poetry and books. Seems an absolute gentleman. Enjoyed his stories about the dancing and how he bumped into the Hearts team after beating them at Tynecastle for Well earlier in the day. RIP Willie.