PDA

View Full Version : NHC Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

theonlywayisup
02-08-2020, 07:17 AM
He must be up there as one of the top three strikers in the world at the moment. With Ronaldo and Messi maybe not as influential as they've been in the past, is there anyone else that is better than Aubameyang at the moment, especially considering that he is probably not surrounded by that many 'world class' players.

I think that the summer transfer window will be dominated by the story of Aubameyang's future to see whether he will stay with Arsenal or will he move onto one of the big clubs that are more likely to win the Champions League.

As he's now 31, it's going to be one last big pay day for him, whether he signs an enhanced contract at Arsenal or decides to leave.

GreenCastle
02-08-2020, 07:43 AM
He must be up there as one of the top three strikers in the world at the moment. With Ronaldo and Messi maybe not as influential as they've been in the past, is there anyone else that is better than Aubameyang at the moment, especially considering that he is probably not surrounded by that many 'world class' players.

I think that the summer transfer window will be dominated by the story of Aubameyang's future to see whether he will stay with Arsenal or will he move onto one of the big clubs that are more likely to win the Champions League.

As he's now 31, it's going to be one last big pay day for him, whether he signs an enhanced contract at Arsenal or decides to leave.

Goals scored this season..

36 Ciro Immobile (Lazio, ITA)
34 Robert Lewandowski (Bayern München, GER)
31 Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus, ITA)
28 Timo Werner (Leipzig, GER)
25 Lionel Messi (Barcelona, ESP)
23 Jamie Vardy (Leicester City, ENG)
23 Romelu Lukaku (Inter, ITA)
22 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal, ENG)
22 Danny Ings (Southampton, ENG)
21 Karim Benzema (Real Madrid, ESP)
21 Francesco Caputo (Sassuolo, ITA)

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2020, 08:09 AM
Lewandowski is definitely better. Other than that not many.

Everything points to him staying at arsenal. He has said he's happy and his demands aren't unreasonable according to Arteta and journalists. Expect it to be wrapped up fairly quickly.

heretoday
02-08-2020, 08:12 AM

Jamie Vardy - he's not surrounded by world class players either.

Since452
02-08-2020, 09:15 AM
The guy looks the real deal

calumhibee1
02-08-2020, 10:14 AM
Jamie Vardy - he's not surrounded by world class players either.

Neither is PEA.

I reckon there’s quite a few attacking players better than him but he is very good.

Bishop Hibee
02-08-2020, 10:16 AM
He’d be even better playing off Doidge.

Centre Hawf
02-08-2020, 02:17 PM
He's a quality player, If i were him I'd be looking to go somewhere else. At 31 he still has a couple of years of being an influential player for an elite level club (in terms of what they compete for). Not sure staying at Arsenal for another 4 years would see him win the amount of trophies a player like him probably deserves.

Mibbes Aye
02-08-2020, 03:04 PM
It is a curious one. If Arsenal can offload Ozil then they free up a big load of money for wages. PEA also seems to really enjoy playing alongside Lacazette. Given the emergence of a number of really young talented players, and the return of Torreira and Martinelli, Arsenal are possibly a couple of signings off being back to a top four side and potential title challengers. Central defence is the priority.

easty
02-08-2020, 03:07 PM
Arsenal are absolutely miles away from being title challengers

Mibbes Aye
02-08-2020, 03:20 PM
Arsenal are absolutely miles away from being title challengers

I disagree. I think they showed in the latter stages of the Cup that they can beat ‘top six’ teams relatively comfortably.

They desperately need to strengthen central defence though, keep Ceballos or replace him with somebody equal or better and likewise with PEA.

The likes of Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah and Pepe are a nightmare for opposition defenders. Tierney has shown up well playing in a few different positions. Reiss Nelson maybe needs to push on a bit.

I think a lot depends on how they strengthen and whether Saliba adapts to English football.

City took a real step back this season and there were clear flaws in certain positions. Liverpool have a specific style that other coaches will be focusing on trying to out-tactic. United on paper look great but it still feels like it hasn’t quite gelled. Chelsea have strength and some youth but it was fascinating how the defence stumbled when Azpuiliceata went off. Spurs are top six in name but look a shadow of the team from a couple of years back.

I think there is room for a fair bit of fluidity in the top four and obviously a lot depends on transfer activity, in and out. But obviously this is all just my opinion.

easty
02-08-2020, 03:24 PM
There’s a top 2, then there’s the rest.

Arsenal just finished 8th, only 2 points ahead of Burnley and Sheff Utd. 25 points behind Man City (who had a poor season).

Michael
02-08-2020, 03:51 PM
If Arsenal were able to sign a top quality central defender and midfielder they'd be contenders again. Can't see them pulling that out the bag though - don't seem to have much to spend.

Mibbes Aye
02-08-2020, 04:01 PM
If Arsenal were able to sign a top quality central defender and midfielder they'd be contenders again. Can't see them pulling that out the bag though - don't seem to have much to spend.

The critical thing I see is moving Ozil on. That frees up phenomenal revenue budget. In terms of transfer fees I believe they made £40m from the last Europa campaign. Not sure how season ticket sales have progressed but there was definitely a waiting list in previous years and it is a huge stadium so I suspect there may be some capital. Few players to shift on as well and some of them will garner fees.

Nevertheless it is all ifs, buts and maybes.

In recent memory it was Arsenal or Man Utd. Then maybe Man Utd and Chelsea. Then Man City resurgent. Then Liverpool resurgence.

And in my lifetime I have seen Nottingham Forest, Watford, Ipswich, Villa, Everton, Newcastle, Blackburn, Leeds, Leicester, Palace, even Swansea IIRC all win or come close to challenging. There will be others I missed out.

The dynamic invariably changes.

Future17
02-08-2020, 07:10 PM

Everything points to him staying at arsenal. He has said he's happy and his demands aren't unreasonable according to Arteta and journalists. Expect it to be wrapped up fairly quickly.

Yeah, Lewandowski the best out and out striker in the world at the moment.

JammyDoidger
02-08-2020, 07:14 PM
For Ciro immobile to finish top goalscorer in a league containing Ronaldo he must be some player. Reminds me of jason cummings a bit does immobile. Much better though:greengrin

StevesFamau5
02-08-2020, 07:17 PM
At the moment the most prolific striker is Ciro Immobile. Golden Boot winner and Italy's Golden Shoe (top goalscorer award) with a team around him that isn't exactly full of household names unlike say Bayern, Juventus or Barcelona.

But yeah Aubamayang is in terrific form as well.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2020, 07:30 PM
As good as Immobile is, he has had a lot of penalties this season. Something like 15. Lazio had an excellent season before the lockdown, could easily have won the title.

Future17
02-08-2020, 07:38 PM
As good as Immobile is, he has had a lot of penalties this season. Something like 15. Lazio had an excellent season before the lockdown, could easily have won the title.

Yeah and he's still not close to Lewandowski's strike rate this season (who only scored 6 pens).

easty
02-08-2020, 07:50 PM

It’s nuts how many pens were awarded in Serie A this season. Immobile scored 15, Lazio were awarded 18 in the season. 187 penalties in total in the league.

Future17
02-08-2020, 08:03 PM
It’s nuts how many pens were awarded in Serie A this season. Immobile scored 15, Lazio were awarded 18 in the season. 187 penalties in total in the league.

Probably would have been around 100 without VAR.

Hibernia&Alba
02-08-2020, 08:15 PM
He's a class act. Arsenal had a poor season and would have been sunk without Aubameyang. After the final yesterday he was non-committal about his future. No doubt Arsenal will offer him a massive contract, they really need him, but he might have decided he needs a club that can challenge for the Champions League, given his age. It will be a huge blow to Arsenal if he leaves, as he's almost impossible to replace.

StevesFamau5
02-08-2020, 08:24 PM
Yeah and he's still not close to Lewandowski's strike rate this season (who only scored 6 pens).These stats seem to show both are very similar. In fact both are almost identical in many ways with minor differences between them.

Does it matter how you score as long as you score? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200802/a9c3556b2c43472af47900380abd9126.jpg

hibsbollah
02-08-2020, 08:27 PM

Man U were awarded 18 this season too, I’m not sure there’s that much difference between the two leagues?

Hibernia&Alba
02-08-2020, 08:35 PM
Man U were awarded 18 this season too, I’m not sure there’s that much difference between the two leagues?

At the other end, Everton got one penalty all season.

jacomo
02-08-2020, 09:10 PM
He’d be even better playing off Doidge.

:agree:

hibsbollah
02-08-2020, 09:11 PM
At the other end, Everton got one penalty all season.

They probably only got the ball into the box a handful of times though :greengrin

easty
02-08-2020, 09:12 PM

Man Utd had 14 in the league, and there were 92 for all teams combined.

That’s less than half the amount of pens in Serie A.

hibsbollah
02-08-2020, 09:20 PM
Man Utd had 14 in the league, and there were 92 for all teams combined.

That’s less than half the amount of pens in Serie A.

Well that does seem a lot to be fair. It’d be interesting to find out why.

Back to the OP, I used to watch Auba in ligue 1 when he was as St Etienne, it was the first decent team they’d had for years, won the cup and qualified for Europe. they had a great wee team then, lots of players went on to great careers, Kurt Zouma, Alain St Maximin, Ghoulam that’s now at Napoli and Auba scoring all the goals.

Winston Ingram
02-08-2020, 09:31 PM
Aubameyang is decent but is all round game is nowhere near up with the best. He’s poor back to goal and needs a partner which is why Arsenal have moved him out to the left.

The likes of Lewandowski, Kane, Suarez, Benzema are far more complete strikers than Aubameyang.

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2020, 10:06 PM
Aubameyang is decent but is all round game is nowhere near up with the best. He’s poor back to goal and needs a partner which is why Arsenal have moved him out to the left.

The likes of Lewandowski, Kane, Suarez, Benzema are far more complete strikers than Aubameyang.

Just different, not more complete. He'd smoke all 4 in a sprint which adds a different dynamic to play.

I don't think Suarez is more complete these days, bit of a flat track bully. About 4 years without an away goal in the champions league.

Aubameyang is world class, no doubting that. Calling him decent is a nonsense. No one has more goals for English clubs than him since he joined Arsenal.

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2020, 10:07 PM
He's a class act. Arsenal had a poor season and would have been sunk without Aubameyang. After the final yesterday he was non-committal about his future. No doubt Arsenal will offer him a massive contract, they really need him, but he might have decided he needs a club that can challenge for the Champions League, given his age. It will be a huge blow to Arsenal if he leaves, as he's almost impossible to replace.
Arteta said he thinks he'll stay. Doubt he'd be saying that without some positive breakthrough recently.

Future17
02-08-2020, 10:13 PM
These stats seem to show both are very similar. In fact both are almost identical in many ways with minor differences between them.

Does it matter how you score as long as you score? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200802/a9c3556b2c43472af47900380abd9126.jpg

I'm not sure why, but I can't read the text on that image on my phone or laptop.

Lewandowski scored 51 goals in 43 appearances last season. Immobile scored 39 in 44 appearances.

Lewandowksi took 6 pens and scored them all. Immobile took 17(!) and scored 15.

If we're discussing how prolific a player is as a striker, I personally wouldn't take penalties into account.

RyeSloan
02-08-2020, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure why, but I can't read the text on that image on my phone or laptop.

Lewandowski scored 51 goals in 43 appearances last season. Immobile scored 39 in 44 appearances.

Lewandowksi took 6 pens and scored them all. Immobile took 17(!) and scored 15.

If we're discussing how prolific a player is as a striker, I personally wouldn't take penalties into account.

I think yer right with the pens thing but even without it I’d suggest it’s clear as day Lewandowski is a cut above.

He’s absolutely class each and every time I’ve seen him play.

PEA is a quality player no doubt and absolutely has been for a long time as well as now becoming a talisman for Arsenal. Not quite Lewandowski level but then again very few, if any, are!

Baader
03-08-2020, 12:13 AM

If that's decent then I'll settle for decent. He's way above decent!

Winston Ingram
03-08-2020, 09:06 AM
Just different, not more complete. He'd smoke all 4 in a sprint which adds a different dynamic to play.

I don't think Suarez is more complete these days, bit of a flat track bully. About 4 years without an away goal in the champions league.

Aubameyang is world class, no doubting that. Calling him decent is a nonsense. No one has more goals for English clubs than him since he joined Arsenal.

I'd agree, decent was a bit unfair and i used the wrong word there. He's obviously better than decent. The question raised by the OP was that he was in the top 3 strikers in the world and his hold up/link up play is nowhere near top 3 level.

He may be able to burn the rest of the strikers for pace but pace isn't that much use if you're playing again one of the smaller teams who defend deep which is vital to the club trying to win things. All the other strikers i named are brilliant at it. The ability to hold it up and link the play is massive and the fact that he is so poor at it is why he's been shunted out left wing since Arteta has arrived.

hibsbollah
03-08-2020, 09:19 AM
I'd agree, decent was a bit unfair and i used the wrong word there. He's obviously better than decent. The question raised by the OP was that he was in the top 3 strikers in the world and his hold up/link up play is nowhere near top 3 level.

He may be able to burn the rest of the strikers for pace but pace isn't that much use if you're playing again one of the smaller teams who defend deep which is vital to the club trying to win things. All the other strikers i named are brilliant at it. The ability to hold it up and link the play is massive and the fact that he is so poor at it is why he's been shunted out left wing since Arteta has arrived.

‘Hold up play’ is just one of many techniques to beat a defence when you don’t have great pace. Auba showed with his second goal the ability to beat a defender without using his pace, the outrageous feint right and move left with Messi like chip afterwards. So I’d say even on that one piece of evidence he has more in his toolbox than just pace. Whether you call it ‘hold up play’ in the classic Olivier Giroud sense doesn’t really matter IMO. You don’t need to bring someone else into the game if you have the stuff to skin a defender and chip the keeper yourself. I think that’s why he’s up there with the absolute best.

MWHIBBIES
03-08-2020, 09:42 AM

Shunted out to the left wing makes it sound like he isn't good enough to play striker. Ridiculous way of looking at things. It is main because his pace can be used to destroy fullbacks who go forward. The guy is versatile enough to play left wing and striker to a world class level, that is a pro, not a con.

Giroud is as good at hold up play as any forward in the world but he definitely not on Aubameyanys level because he isn't anywhere near as quick, versatile or deadly Infront of goal.

You pretend Auba is just a pace merchant but so so many of his goals are being in the right place at the right time. He scored many many goals against the lower half teams regardless of them sitting in.

RyeSloan
03-08-2020, 10:40 AM

I’m sure Thierry Henry was shunted out to the left wing at Arsenal as well...clearly a sign that the player is not quite cutting the world class mustard...

Winston Ingram
03-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Shunted out to the left wing makes it sound like he isn't good enough to play striker. Ridiculous way of looking at things. It is main because his pace can be used to destroy fullbacks who go forward. The guy is versatile enough to play left wing and striker to a world class level, that is a pro, not a con.

Giroud is as good at hold up play as any forward in the world but he definitely not on Aubameyanys level because he isn't anywhere near as quick, versatile or deadly Infront of goal.

You pretend Auba is just a pace merchant but so so many of his goals are being in the right place at the right time. He scored many many goals against the lower half teams regardless of them sitting in.

I never said he was just a pace merchant. I think he's excellent but his hold up and link up play is awful. He's been shunted out there because they need someone there who can hold the ball. Hold up play in a striker is a necessity at a top club these days.

Giroud's hold up play is fantastic but we aren't talking him being in the top 3 in the world.

Winston Ingram
03-08-2020, 11:06 AM
‘Hold up play’ is just one of many techniques to beat a defence when you don’t have great pace. Auba showed with his second goal the ability to beat a defender without using his pace, the outrageous feint right and move left with Messi like chip afterwards. So I’d say even on that one piece of evidence he has more in his toolbox than just pace. Whether you call it ‘hold up play’ in the classic Olivier Giroud sense doesn’t really matter IMO. You don’t need to bring someone else into the game if you have the stuff to skin a defender and chip the keeper yourself. I think that’s why he’s up there with the absolute best.

I'm sorry but hold up play absolutely matters. At the top level, you can't have the ball bouncing off your CF like it does him.

MWHIBBIES
03-08-2020, 11:09 AM
I never said he was just a pace merchant. I think he's excellent but his hold up and link up play is awful. He's been shunted out there because they need someone there who can hold the ball. Hold up play in a striker is a necessity at a top club these days.

Giroud's hold up play is fantastic but we aren't talking him being in the top 3 in the world.

I agree hold up play matters but it's not the be all end all. If it was Harry Kane might actually have a trophy to his name. Awful is a strong word and he definitely makes up for it in other ways. A big part of the reason he is wide is because lacazette is also an excellent player who needs games.

Winston Ingram
03-08-2020, 11:24 AM
I agree hold up play matters but it's not the be all end all. If it was Harry Kane might actually have a trophy to his name. Awful is a strong word and he definitely makes up for it in other ways. A big part of the reason he is wide is because lacazette is also an excellent player who needs games.

We're talking about him being in the top 3 in the world. I can't see how people can claim he is with a chasm like that in his game...and his hold up play is that bad. Other than just by watching him myself, he regularly gets dug out for it in the media. I listen to Talksport most days and yesterday I'm listening to the likes of Alan Smith and Perry Groves acknowledge it's poor and this morning, Darren Bent, Jack Wilshere and Ally McCoist were all in agreement that it's poor.

Carheenlea
03-08-2020, 11:29 AM
Further evidence of my lack of knowledge about non-Hibs related football. I’ve never heard of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

MWHIBBIES
03-08-2020, 12:24 PM
We're talking about him being in the top 3 in the world. I can't see how people can claim he is with a chasm like that in his game...and his hold up play is that bad. Other than just by watching him myself, he regularly gets dug out for it in the media. I listen to Talksport most days and yesterday I'm listening to the likes of Alan Smith and Perry Groves acknowledge it's poor and this morning, Darren Bent, Jack Wilshere and Ally McCoist were all in agreement that it's poor.

Talksport is the equivalent of the lads down the pub, wouldn't rely on them for ''expert analysis''.

Auba doesn't have the best hold up play but makes up for it in other ways, with the pace and finishing. He has certainly been better than Kane and Suarez last season. Kane has never turned up big time in a semi or final like Aubameyang did for Arsenal this season.

You can be a wonderful, world class player in a different way. Kane is a good example of that. Not quick at all but deadly finishing and good all round play makes up for it, same as Auba makes up for his weaknesses with brilliant strengths.

I would say since the return from lockdown Aubameyang (along with Benzema and Lewandowski) has been as good as anyone.

Winston Ingram
03-08-2020, 12:59 PM
Talksport is the equivalent of the lads down the pub, wouldn't rely on them for ''expert analysis''.

Auba doesn't have the best hold up play but makes up for it in other ways, with the pace and finishing. He has certainly been better than Kane and Suarez last season. Kane has never turned up big time in a semi or final like Aubameyang did for Arsenal this season.

You can be a wonderful, world class player in a different way. Kane is a good example of that. Not quick at all but deadly finishing and good all round play makes up for it, same as Auba makes up for his weaknesses with brilliant strengths.

I would say since the return from lockdown Aubameyang (along with Benzema and Lewandowski) has been as good as anyone.

I'm not relying on Talksport. My own eyes, followed by 3 former Arsenal players and fans, Groves, Smith & Wilshere, another Arsenal fan Darren Bent and a bloke who should know a bit about centre forward play, Ally McCoist.

As for being better than Kane and Suarez last season - Kane was out for 3 months as was Suarez. Even then Kane played 34 games and scored 24 goals this season were Aubameyang played 44 in and scored 29 - leaving Kane with a better average than Aubameyang.

As for Kane not showing up in big games. He holds the record for scoring in North London derbies, scored plenty v Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City. He's scored in the CL v Juventus, Barcelona, Bayern & Dortmund.

McD
03-08-2020, 01:08 PM

Wikipedia shows Aubameyang with 70 goals in 109 appearances for Arsenal, 3 seasons.

Same 3 seasons, Salah has 94 in 152 appearances, so Salah has scored more goals for an english club in that time.

Edit: Harry Kane has scored 89 in 122 appearances in the same timeframe

That said, Aubameyang is a tremendous talent, not knocking him at all :greengrin

calumhibee1
03-08-2020, 01:09 PM
Further evidence of my lack of knowledge about non-Hibs related football. I’ve never heard of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Well you’re about to. Signing for Hearts.

MWHIBBIES
03-08-2020, 01:21 PM
Wikipedia shows Aubameyang with 70 goals in 109 appearances for Arsenal, 3 seasons.

Same 3 seasons, Salah has 94 in 152 appearances, so Salah has scored more goals for an english club in that time.

Edit: Harry Kane has scored 89 in 122 appearances in the same timeframe

That said, Aubameyang is a tremendous talent, not knocking him at all :greengrinhe joined at the end of January 2018. Of course they have more goals when you give them an extra 6 months :greengrin

I'm not relying on Talksport. My own eyes, followed by 3 former Arsenal players and fans, Groves, Smith & Wilshere, another Arsenal fan Darren Bent and a bloke who should know a bit about centre forward play, Ally McCoist.

As for being better than Kane and Suarez last season - Kane was out for 3 months as was Suarez. Even then Kane played 34 games and scored 24 goals this season were Aubameyang played 44 in and scored 29 - leaving Kane with a better average than Aubameyang.

As for Kane not showing up in big games. He holds the record for scoring in North London derbies, scored plenty v Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City. He's scored in the CL v Juventus, Barcelona, Bayern & Dortmund.

I never said big games, I said semis and finals. Missed a sitter to put England 2-0 up in the WC semi, done nothing for spurs in semis and finals either.

Kane is a wonderful player. He's the one who should be moving to win things.

McD
03-08-2020, 01:24 PM
he joined at the end of January 2018. Of course they have more goals when you give them an extra 6 months :greengrin

I never said big games, I said semis and finals. Missed a sitter to put England 2-0 up in the WC semi, done nothing for spurs in semis and finals either.

Ah yeah, I forgot he was the January, good point :greengrin

Winston Ingram
03-08-2020, 01:46 PM
he joined at the end of January 2018. Of course they have more goals when you give them an extra 6 months :greengrin

He's only played in 3 semi-finals and scored in 2. He played in the CL final last year when he was unfit. He was injured when Spurs went out of the FA Cup last 2 seasons and in the league cup, was rested when they went out this year and the previous year, scored in the semi in the 1st leg and was injured before the 2nd leg. He didn't play in the CL semi as he was out with the same injury.
As for the sitter, it was brilliant save. Did ye see the sitter Aubameyang missed that resulted in Arsenal getting knocked out the Europa League?

MWHIBBIES
03-08-2020, 01:53 PM
He's only played in 3 semi-finals and scored in 2. He played in the CL final last year when he was unfit. He was injured when Spurs went out of the FA Cup last 2 seasons and in the league cup, was rested when they went out this year and the previous year, scored in the semi in the 1st leg and was injured before the 2nd leg. He didn't play in the CL semi as he was out with the same injury.

His fitness clearly another issue. Something Aubameyang doesn't struggle with despite being older. Hasn't even missed an Arsenal match with injury.

Winston Ingram
03-08-2020, 02:12 PM
His fitness clearly another issue. Something Aubameyang doesn't struggle with despite being older. Hasn't even missed an Arsenal match with injury.

It's not really. He's had 3 injuries where players have gone over the ball and caused him to roll his ankle. The hamstring one this season was the only one not caused by a tackle.

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2020, 03:56 PM
I’m sure Thierry Henry was shunted out to the left wing at Arsenal as well...clearly a sign that the player is not quite cutting the world class mustard...

Correct :greengrin

Arsenal exploited the fact they had Ashley Cole, one of England’s best-ever left backs and one of the best in the world at the height of his career, and Robert Pires in left midfield. Cole would overlap, Pires would come inside with Henry drifting out left, they must have been a nightmare to play against. Henry scored a ridiculous amount of goals but those from range on the left were a significant proportion. Similarly Bobby Pires scored some belters from central positions that he was able to move into, because Henry was dragging a centre half out.

Tactics have changed and Arsenal still have to settle on a formation. I am not convinced by Koleasinac. I am convinced by Tierney. I am also convinced by Saka. I think that gives them the potential down the left to disrupt the opposition and create opportunities, because Aubameyang will pull players out, or Arsenal will get an overload and have finishers elsewhere. There is certainly the potential to recreate classic Wengerball.

Garibaldis
03-08-2020, 04:10 PM
Aubameyang is a top player. Personally wouldn't consider him as being in the top 3 strikers in the world but he is a quality player for sure.

I think he will sign a new contract at Arsenal now as they will be playing European football next season, and Arteta I imagine will be feeding him with the vision he has for the club going forward but since lockdown there is nothing that suggests to me that Arsenal will finish in the top 4 next season without strengthening the team with further top players.

If Aubameyang wants to win a league title or a Champions League, like Kane he should be looking to move elsewhere.

Winston Ingram
03-08-2020, 05:33 PM

Thierry Henry wasn’t shunted out to the left. He was signed as a winger and shunted into the middle. He was also 10 years younger than Aubameyang is now. Not even remotely comparable

easty
03-08-2020, 05:56 PM
Thierry Henry wasn’t shunted out to the left. He was signed as a winger and shunted into the middle. He was also 10 years younger than Aubameyang is now. Not even remotely comparable

Aubameyang is nowhere near Henry's level. If he was even close he'd not be at Arsenal when they're as bad as this.

MWHIBBIES
03-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Aubameyang is nowhere near Henry's level. If he was even close he'd not be at Arsenal when they're as bad as this.

He is still a world class stiker. Shearer was a top player who played for pretty rubbish Newcastle sides for years. The quality of the team doesn't reflect the quality of the player.

WeeRussell
03-08-2020, 07:06 PM
Give me Aubameyang over Harry f******g Kane any day of the week, and twice on cup final day.

He is superb.

Mibbes Aye
03-08-2020, 07:25 PM

He was a winger as a youth and Wenger exploited that with the set-up with Cole and Pires. He then went on to score a sensational amount of goals.

Your Spurs’ sensibilities are maybe clouding your judgement young paduwan

RyeSloan
03-08-2020, 09:03 PM

He was famous for drifting to the left and cutting inside. Obv. He played in a different system but Auba is not being played as an orthodox winger either.

You seem determined to play down the mans qualities, which of course is your right, but I think you are doing him a dis-service suggesting he’s been punted to the left wing to try and some how accommodate his flaws. To me it’s a gross mis representation of how he’s being played and why. His goal scoring record speaks for itself in terms of his quality.

But we can agree on one thing, Henry was better!

Winston Ingram
04-08-2020, 06:09 AM
He was famous for drifting to the left and cutting inside. Obv. He played in a different system but Auba is not being played as an orthodox winger either.

You seem determined to play down the mans qualities, which of course is your right, but I think you are doing him a dis-service suggesting he’s been punted to the left wing to try and some how accommodate his flaws. To me it’s a gross mis representation of how he’s being played and why. His goal scoring record speaks for itself in terms of his quality.

But we can agree on one thing, Henry was better!

He may have drifted to the left but again, not even remotely comparable. He was their sole striker. He also drifted over to the right plenty and allowed Ljungberg to come in. His hold up play was fantastic.

As for playing as an orthodox winger, he absolutely is. One thing he’s doing brilliantly in that position is tracking his fullback and protecting Tierney.

As for playing down his qualities, I’m acknowledging them but highlighting a major flaw he has in his game. He can’t possibly be seen as a being in the top 3 no 9’s when he isn’t very good at arguably the most important part of the role outside goalscoring.

RyeSloan
04-08-2020, 09:08 AM
He may have drifted to the left but again, not even remotely comparable. He was their sole striker. He also drifted over to the right plenty and allowed Ljungberg to come in. His hold up play was fantastic.

As for playing as an orthodox winger, he absolutely is. One thing he’s doing brilliantly in that position is tracking his fullback and protecting Tierney.

As for playing down his qualities, I’m acknowledging them but highlighting a major flaw he has in his game. He can’t possibly be seen as a being in the top 3 no 9’s when he isn’t very good at arguably the most important part of the role outside goalscoring.

Honestly I’m confused that you think he’s playing an orthodox left winger...and even if you do think his current position is as a left winger you are also just focussing in his recent position. Have a look at the following and tell me he’s playing / played as an orthodox left winger during his Arsenal career.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXBgaS-ORoM

But it does seem you want your number 9 to excel at hold up play as well as goal scoring...I’m not sure you find that in many players to be honest. But maybe we are arguing over nothing as I’m not really trying to put him in a top 3 of anything.

The fact is though he would be able to play for almost any top team in Europe and that’s good enough for me to convince me of his qualities, hold up play ability or not!

MWHIBBIES
04-08-2020, 09:12 AM

You don't seem to understand that a player can make up for flaws in his game by having other vital strenths. Not being able to hold up the ball doesn't automatically mean he can never be one of the best players. His pace and versatility are things that very few other players have.

Scouse Hibee
04-08-2020, 09:25 AM

A certain No 9 at Liverpool is one of the best in the business 😉

Winston Ingram
04-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Honestly I’m confused that you think he’s playing an orthodox left winger...and even if you do think his current position is as a left winger you are also just focussing in his recent position. Have a look at the following and tell me he’s playing / played as an orthodox left winger during his Arsenal career.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXBgaS-ORoM

But it does seem you want your number 9 to excel at hold up play as well as goal scoring...I’m not sure you find that in many players to be honest. But maybe we are arguing over nothing as I’m not really trying to put him in a top 3 of anything.

The fact is though he would be able to play for almost any top team in Europe and that’s good enough for me to convince me of his qualities, hold up play ability or not!

He's undoubtedly playing as winger and has done for the vast majority of this season (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pierre-emerick-aubameyang/leistungsdaten/spieler/58864) and for almost the entirety of the second half of the season. He did play CF prior to that but have moved him because he can't carry out a key aspect of the role to a decent standard.

I absolutely agree you won't find it in many players but you can when you're talking about the creme de la creme

Future17
04-08-2020, 10:12 AM
This is one of the most interesting threads I've read on the main board in a long time. Genuinely engaging to read how different people can view the same players, aspects of the game, the importance of certain attributes etc.

The "left-winger" point is particularly interesting. I would never have described the position PEA has been playing recently as left-wing; however, the more I think about the more I think it might be an accurate tag to give it. Out of interest, what position would folk on here say Mane plays for Liverpool?

Everyone seems to be in agreement that PEA is a quality player, but I think the original question which sparked the debate is whether he's in the "top three strikers in the World at the moment". I suppose that's still open to personal interpretation but, for me, he's clearly top 10, possibly top 5 but not top 3. Again, it would be interesting to read who folk on here would have in their top 5?

hibsbollah
04-08-2020, 10:13 AM
He's undoubtedly playing as winger and has done for the vast majority of this season (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pierre-emerick-aubameyang/leistungsdaten/spieler/58864) and for almost the entirety of the second half of the season. He did play CF prior to that but have moved him because he can't carry out a key aspect of the role to a decent standard.

I absolutely agree you won't find it in many players but you can when you're talking about the creme de la creme

Isn’t he playing in a similar role to Mane at Liverpool? Not a winger as such but a striker deployed to the left of an attacking three?

Future17
04-08-2020, 12:06 PM
Isn’t he playing in a similar role to Mane at Liverpool? Not a winger as such but a striker deployed to the left of an attacking three?

Great minds. :greengrin

I was going to describe Mane as a left-sided forward, but I think that misrepresents the work he does when Liverpool aren't in possession.

hibsbollah
04-08-2020, 12:19 PM
Great minds. :greengrin

I was going to describe Mane as a left-sided forward, but I think that misrepresents the work he does when Liverpool aren't in possession.

Whoops, busted for not reading all contributions :faf: I do think it’s a relevant distinction though. The Mane or Aubamayeng role is totally removed from your Chris Waddle/Davie Cooper tied to the touch line kind of winger to be unrecognizable.

hibsbollah
04-08-2020, 12:26 PM
This is one of the most interesting threads I've read on the main board in a long time. Genuinely engaging to read how different people can view the same players, aspects of the game, the importance of certain attributes etc.

The "left-winger" point is particularly interesting. I would never have described the position PEA has been playing recently as left-wing; however, the more I think about the more I think it might be an accurate tag to give it. Out of interest, what position would folk on here say Mane plays for Liverpool?

Everyone seems to be in agreement that PEA is a quality player, but I think the original question which sparked the debate is whether he's in the "top three strikers in the World at the moment". I suppose that's still open to personal interpretation but, for me, he's clearly top 10, possibly top 5 but not top 3. Again, it would be interesting to read who folk on here would have in their top 5?

Lewandowski Mbappé for definite as my top two. If you want proven demonstrable ability over 10 years, I’d say Benzema at #3, but Haaland also in the discussion for what he was doing prior to Covid. I tend to agree Aubameyang is probably top 5 in the world but part of a closely packed group.

WeeRussell
04-08-2020, 02:20 PM
I don’t think he’s played left wing once for arsenal, as I don’t think arsenal (or many other teams these days) play with wingers.

But that’s based on my interpretation of the term winger... maybe it’s moved on and so should I!

The Modfather
04-08-2020, 02:40 PM
You don’t have to play for the top teams to be world class of course but I do wonder why (so far) Dortmund & Arsenal are the biggest teams he has played for. Two big clubs, but probably a level slightly below the likes of Bayern, Barcelona or Real and I wonder why they have never bought him before. He is world class, but there’s probably sub categories within that definition and I’d probably put him in the category slightly below the one Lewandowski, for example, is in.

hibsbollah
04-08-2020, 02:44 PM
You don’t have to play for the top teams to be world class of course but I do wonder why (so far) Dortmund & Arsenal are the biggest teams he has played for. Two big clubs, but probably a level slightly below the likes of Bayern, Barcelona or Real and I wonder why they have never bought him before. He is world class, but there’s probably sub categories within that definition and I’d probably put him in the category slightly below the one Lewandowski, for example, is in.

There was definite chat that he liked his late nights in Germany.

MWHIBBIES
04-08-2020, 02:58 PM

Thing is, it really can be just as simple as those 3 having had quality strikers for years now, basically Aubameyangs entire career. Benzema is the perfect striker for Real, is an absolutely wonderful football and has won everything there. Lewandowski cost Bayern nothing and has just scored over 40 goals for the 5th season running. Barcelona have Suarez and as well as being a brilliant player, he is Messis best mate.

That is really the reason he hasn't quite reached those clubs. None of them needed a striker for at least 6 years.

The Modfather
04-08-2020, 03:10 PM
Thing is, it really can be just as simple as those 3 having had quality strikers for years now, basically Aubameyangs entire career. Benzema is the perfect striker for Real, is an absolutely wonderful football and has won everything there. Lewandowski cost Bayern nothing and has just scored over 40 goals for the 5th season running. Barcelona have Suarez and as well as being a brilliant player, he is Messis best mate.

That is really the reason he hasn't quite reached those clubs. None of them needed a striker for at least 6 years.

In the last few seasons Real have signed Hazard & Jovic, & Barcelona have signed Dembele & Griezman. So it’s not like those clubs haven’t been in the market for strikers in recent times.

Anyway, as I said above not having played for those clubs doesn’t mean someone can’t be world class.

MWHIBBIES
04-08-2020, 03:22 PM
In the last few seasons Real have signed Hazard & Jovic, & Barcelona have signed Dembele & Griezman. So it’s not like those clubs haven’t been in the market for strikers in recent times.

Anyway, as I said above not having played for those clubs doesn’t mean someone can’t be world class.

Hazard and Dembele are totally different players to Aubameyang. Not really comparable at all. Jovic is nearly 10 years younger, obvious that Real wanted a long term replacement for Benzema. Griezmann has been a pretty awful signing for Barcelona, they would actually have been better getting Aubameyang (who was linked)

I know that of course, its just that none of those clubs signing him made sense over the last 6/7 years.

J-C
04-08-2020, 03:52 PM
Whoops, busted for not reading all contributions :faf: I do think it’s a relevant distinction though. The Mane or Aubamayeng role is totally removed from your Chris Waddle/Davie Cooper tied to the touch line kind of winger to be unrecognizable.

Man City, Liverpool Man U all play with 3 up top with no recognised wingers, they're all inside forwards cutting in onto their stronger foot, that's not to say they don't ever go past their man but all these teams have attacking wingbacks to play the wide role, just look at the number of assists from Robertson and Alexander-Arnold. Wolves use the attacking wingbacks but play with a back 3.

cameronw-hfc
04-08-2020, 05:14 PM
PEA is good but its not even an argument who the best striker in the world is. Lewandoski by a country mile

MagicSwirlingShip
04-08-2020, 05:51 PM
PEA is good but its not even an argument who the best striker in the world is. Lewandoski by a country mile

Madness he missed out on the Ballon D’or, his numbers this past season were crazy.

Brilliant player.

MWHIBBIES
04-08-2020, 07:37 PM
Madness he missed out on the Ballon D’or, his numbers this past season were crazy.

Brilliant player.

Messis are just as crazy tbh.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2020, 04:06 PM

New deal confirmed.

BILLYHIBS
15-09-2020, 04:23 PM
New deal confirmed.

Never in doubt 😃

HibbyAndy
15-09-2020, 04:46 PM
New deal confirmed.

Superb ! Best signing of the summer !

jacomo
15-09-2020, 06:11 PM

Late developer? Probably passed over by the biggest clubs when he was a youngster.

Maybe he just wants to play every week?

Joe6-2
15-09-2020, 06:13 PM

This

hibsbollah
15-09-2020, 06:22 PM

Just to add to the earlier point, since you brought up Lewandowski, he was at Dortmund for 4 years too 2010-14, Auba came in just before Lewandowski left and stayed for the same left of time, 4 seasons. It’s conceivable that Dortmund is just a great place to learn to be world class.

Mibbes Aye
15-09-2020, 06:41 PM

Agreed. They do seem to be making progress on all fronts.

On very initial impressions, the defender Gabriel looks like a unit. Saliba, who has just come back from loan is very highly-rated and there are a bunch of talented youngsters who couldn’t get a start in the last game - Saka, Willock, Nketiah, Nelson. Plus Martinelli coming back in the new year, who is a tremendously exciting prospect. Every chance Ceballos will make a permanent move given he is back for another season on loan and he is a very creative player.

I think Arsenal struck gold in signing Tierney. And then finding a system that seems to work. He is on the left in a 3-4-3 but because of the way Arsenal play, against Fulham he was finding himself out on the touch line, showing and crossing. He also made some great passes through the middle.

There was one moment when he was on their goal line inside their box and managed to turn it back past two players before passing - very Seventies Dutch football! None of that is at the neglect of his defending though, he made a number of astute tackles.

Looks like Martinez and Torreira will depart, which is a shame because they are both players I really liked, but I would never have reckoned Elneny had a future at the Emirates, yet Arteta looks like he has found a very specific role for him that he can do well.

Although Arsenal had a good run against the top clubs at the end of the season they will face more tests in the coming weeks. Aubameyang signing a new contract will surely be a further morale boost.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Late developer? Probably passed over by the biggest clubs when he was a youngster.

Maybe he just wants to play every week?

He was at Milan for years as a kid.

jacomo
15-09-2020, 08:30 PM
He was at Milan for years as a kid.

What happened? Did he play in the first team or just move to Dortmund? I don’t remember him at Milan at all.

MWHIBBIES
15-09-2020, 09:26 PM
What happened? Did he play in the first team or just move to Dortmund? I don’t remember him at Milan at all.

He had loans, didn't quite do it. Left Milan for St Etienne

jacomo
15-09-2020, 10:56 PM
He had loans, didn't quite do it. Left Milan for St Etienne

Well he’s definitely come good later in his career. No shame in that.

Haymaker
16-09-2020, 02:23 PM
Just to add to the earlier point, since you brought up Lewandowski, he was at Dortmund for 4 years too 2010-14, Auba came in just before Lewandowski left and stayed for the same left of time, 4 seasons. It’s conceivable that Dortmund is just a great place to learn to be world class.

They certainly seem to be doing a bloody great job there.