PDA

View Full Version : Opening Games of the Season Gone By

Bishop Hibee
31-07-2020, 05:27 PM
Every season sees renewed optimism. I know this thread title has been done before but the day before kick off brings old memories to mind. 5-0 v Dundee Utd is a particular favourite of mine.

Iggy Pope
31-07-2020, 05:32 PM
Every season sees renewed optimism. I know this thread title has been done before but the day before kick off brings old memories to mind. 5-0 v Dundee Utd is a particular favourite of mine.

Mine too. A 4-1 thrashing of St Mirren also set us on the way to a good season start and a LC win in 1991.
Motherwell away and a Liam Miller winner also a notable day.

Green Man
31-07-2020, 05:36 PM
Livi at home, with Mark Oxley scoring, stands out for me.

Tambo
31-07-2020, 05:36 PM
Chic charnley vs celtic but the season didn't end well for us.

Viva_Palmeiras
31-07-2020, 05:37 PM
As a “child” of the Miller Era - without googling until recently we’ve come in expectation and left a bit “meh” with either a draw or defeat more often than not. Viva la revolution!

The 90+2
31-07-2020, 05:42 PM
Tam McManus Penalty last min against Dundee Utd was a magic day. Our coach broke down on ER and had to run for the train.

HibbyAndy
31-07-2020, 05:48 PM

:agree:

Kevin Harper made his name on the big stage

beensaidbefore
31-07-2020, 05:49 PM
Iirc we beat at johnstone 4-0 in about 90-91?

Iggy Pope
31-07-2020, 05:55 PM
Iirc we beat at johnstone 4-0 in about 90-91?

Not sure I remember that game at all, but nothing of much good happened in 1990/91 so I doubt it.

beensaidbefore
31-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Not sure I remember that game at all, but nothing of much good happened in 1990/91 so I doubt it.

Tbh, I just had a look and can't find anything either! God knows what I have invented in my mind. The more I think I'm sure we beat them 5-0, possibly Paul Wright scoring. Theres also the distinct possibility that I'm talking *****! :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2020, 06:16 PM
2/7/2006 5-0 versus Dinaburg

Best remembered for the serious biblical downpour before kick off. Many fans including my brother and his laddie decided to seek refuge in one of the many boozers around Easter Road

From a football point of view Eddie Turnbull’s first competitive game at Easter Road a League Cup game versus Dundee United on 18/8/1972 :

On 59 minutes a long header from Hamilton enabled Alex Cropley to speed clear - he dashed in at an angle to beat Hamish McAlpine with a left footer - an image of the goal appeared on the front of the next home games programme. HIBS were awarded a penalty on 71 minutes when Andy Rolland halved Cropley in the box and Wee Jimmy O’Rourke sent McAlpine the wrong way from the spot

The Hibees were back!

Tom Hart RIP
31-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Got to be the Souness game for me.

madabouthibs
31-07-2020, 07:36 PM
2-1 v Rangers, 1986, the "what a waste o money!!" game!

calumhibee1
31-07-2020, 07:38 PM
07-08 season - Brian Kerr at Tynie
Charnley V Celtic 97-98
We’ve started at home v Killie a few times in last 25 years. Looks like we’ve lost 2 and drawn 1. Due a win

CapitalGreen
31-07-2020, 07:45 PM
0-1 defeat to Killie at home in 2004. Not a result to remember but our attacking play was night and day compared to what we’d endured under Williamson. Came away that day feeling positive about our team that season despite the defeat. It was also the day we paid our respects to the departed Gordon Smith.

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2020, 07:56 PM
Got to be the Souness game for me.

Hiber-nation
31-07-2020, 08:05 PM
All the games that I thought of initially have already been mentioned but the 4-0 home win over Montrose in the 1972 Dryburgh Cup always sticks in my mind - not for the game itself though. My mate and I were sitting on the top deck of an Eastern Scottish 52 bus on Princes Street on the way to the game and we saw some guy jump off the Scott Monument. Didn't seem that big a deal when you're 14 years old but I'll never forget it.

BILLYHIBS
31-07-2020, 08:06 PM
14/8/1982 HIBS 1 v 1 Rangers

The Craigie Paterson What’s it like to be a Hun? game

John McDonald scored for Rangers and Gordon Rae equalised for HIBS

HIBS had chances to score second half but couldn’t find a winner

SouthMoroccoStu
31-07-2020, 08:11 PM
Chic charnley vs celtic but the season didn't end well for us.

Aye
That Larsson boy for Celtic won’t amount to much

SouthMoroccoStu
31-07-2020, 08:15 PM
0-1 defeat to Killie at home in 2004. Not a result to remember but our attacking play was night and day compared to what we’d endured under Williamson. Came away that day feeling positive about our team that season despite the defeat. It was also the day we paid our respects to the departed Gordon Smith.

Well said mate

Was discussing this with my dad today

Crap result, Jeffries in the Killie dugout giving it big licks, but every hibee left the ground knowing we were onto something special

Entertaining attacking football

Something our city neighbors haven’t seen since the 1960s

SouthMoroccoStu
31-07-2020, 08:17 PM
0-1 Brian Kerr Tynecastle
They’d sold Gordon to Sunderland that day
Goal in under 3 minutes and a long 90 minutes

scoopyboy
31-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Some good memories already mentioned.

Another winning start was a late Barry Lavety goal away to Morton the season after we got relegated

HibbyAndy
31-07-2020, 08:24 PM

We deserved that win , Benji went 1 on 1 for 2-0

Deserved 1-0 win

Onceinawhile
31-07-2020, 08:48 PM

Yes makalamby claiming everything that came into his box.

Ryan91
31-07-2020, 08:57 PM

Best remembered for the serious biblical downpour before kick off. Many fans including my brother and his laddie decided to seek refuge in one of the many boozers around Easter Road

From a football point of view Eddie Turnbull’s first competitive game at Easter Road a League Cup game versus Dundee United on 18/8/1972 :

On 59 minutes a long header from Hamilton enabled Alex Cropley to speed clear - he dashed in at an angle to beat Hamish McAlpine with a left footer - an image of the goal appeared on the front of the next home games programme. HIBS were awarded a penalty on 71 minutes when Andy Rolland halved Cropley in the box and Wee Jimmy O’Rourke sent McAlpine the wrong way from the spot

The Hibees were back!

If the Dinaburg game hadn't been a European tie, that would have been postponed, players making slide tackles and going halfway across the pitch doing so, yet despite the downpour, it turned into a rather pleasant day.

The 90+2
31-07-2020, 09:12 PM

I thought that ended 1-1? Boyd scored a peach of a free kick? Maybe we did lose.

The 90+2
31-07-2020, 09:13 PM
We deserved that win , Benji went 1 on 1 for 2-0

Deserved 1-0 win

We should have hammered them at Tynie 2000 first game. Sauzee played sweeper for the first time, Agathe fell over, all the players had their hair dyed.

Future17
31-07-2020, 09:33 PM

The Hibees were back!

If the Dinaburg game hadn't been a European tie, that would have been postponed, players making slide tackles and going halfway across the pitch doing so, yet despite the downpour, it turned into a rather pleasant day.

I don't think I was at the Dinaburg game for some reason but I remember the weather being similar for an Intertoto game versus Vetra. We drew 1-1 but the weather totally spoiled the game.

There was a problem with the drainage of the pitch near the corner where the main stand meets the Famous Five and approx. 20 square feet was literally underwater.

calumhibee1
31-07-2020, 09:41 PM
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hibs-killmarnock-premiership-opening-day-18667326

Renfrew_Hibby
31-07-2020, 09:47 PM

That was my first game as a season ticket holder. I had only attended 4 games at Easter Road previously to that game and in 360 minutes of football we had scored the grand total of ZERO goals, so that 5-0 was most unexpected.

1959 Hibby
31-07-2020, 10:09 PM
Joe Harper rocket v the jambos: 1-0 Hibs

Spike Mandela
31-07-2020, 10:21 PM

I was going to post the same. Mowbrays’s first game playing all the young team. I had been on the verge of giving up and drifting away from Hibs but my young nephew wanted his first season ticket and I was persuaded to rethink. Boy was I glad.

Team played with a verve and a vigour I hadn’t seen in years. Never felt so excited about a season after a defeat.

jakedance
31-07-2020, 10:24 PM
Pumping Dundee United 5-0 at home with a Michael O’Neill masterclass. It was a good season and a quality Hibs team. That must be the year of Gordon Hunter’s winner at tynecastle and almost making a Scottish Cup final but lost to Celtic in a semi replay. I think we finished above them too (pre Fergus McCann when they were murder).

I could have all this wrong and can’t be arsed looking it up, but I was a teenager and just starting going home and away with my mates, so was the start of a great season for me.

green with envy
31-07-2020, 10:34 PM
I tend not to check these up as I can't be arsed in my auld age. In saying that, I hope I'm right that the first game we played in the auld first division after getting relegated in '79, was away to Stirling Albion. The reason this one sticks out as a fair few Hibby's that day got stung with wasps. Myself included. Oh, I'm also sure Peter Cormack scored that same game.

tamig
31-07-2020, 11:10 PM

That was the one that came to my mind. Gareth Evans was on fire that day. Absolutely unplayable.

Kato
31-07-2020, 11:19 PM
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hibs-killmarnock-premiership-opening-day-18667326

Been annoying me for yonks that one. Petrie has to sort this out tomorrow.

green with envy
31-07-2020, 11:20 PM
That was the one that came to my mind. Gareth Evans was on fire that day. Absolutely unplayable.

Am I correct in saying that a young Billy Finlay had a great game that day. I'm pretty sure he scored the first?

tamig
31-07-2020, 11:56 PM
Am I correct in saying that a young Billy Finlay had a great game that day. I'm pretty sure he scored the first?

I think you’re right there.

tamig
31-07-2020, 11:59 PM
I tend not to check these up as I can't be arsed in my auld age. In saying that, I hope I'm right that the first game we played in the auld first division after getting relegated in '79, was away to Stirling Albion. The reason this one sticks out as a fair few Hibby's that day got stung with wasps. Myself included. Oh, I'm also sure Peter Cormack scored that same game.
That was my first season following Hibs home and away. I forgot all about that game at the old Annfield. Happy days for a young lad and great memories.

G15 Hibs
01-08-2020, 12:41 AM
We should have hammered them at Tynie 2000 first game. Sauzee played sweeper for the first time, Agathe fell over, all the players had their hair dyed.

Spot on. We looked like a proper team that day. Playing at Tynecastle without fear, the team looked confident in what they were doing. Came away disappointed not to win but pretty certain that good things were coming that season.

one day maybe...
01-08-2020, 02:33 AM
2-1 v Rangers, 1986, the "what a waste o money!!" game!

For me too this was the best first game of the season. Fighting with Rangers/Chelsea fans behind our goal. The stupidity of youth 🤦🏻*♂️

Hibernia&Alba
01-08-2020, 05:17 AM

That was a great night. One of the few good things Kerr did at Hibs.