PDA

View Full Version : BBC encouraging English fans to watch Scottish Football

Monts
30-07-2020, 11:17 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53298175

It's a bit of a strange one this. One the one hand, it's great that they are trying to encourage people to watch it. But on the other hand, the tone seems to be "it's a bit p*sh but what else is there to do".

What are your thoughts?

hhibs
30-07-2020, 11:23 AM

It's a bit of a strange one this. One the one hand, it's great that they are trying to encourage people to watch it. But on the other hand, the tone seems to be "it's a bit p*sh but what else is there to do".

What are your thoughts?

Reference a bit p*sh.

The BBC or Scottish Football? IF the former then YES,if the later, no. IMO

The Spaceman
30-07-2020, 11:23 AM
All-in it is decent publicity - relative to the Premier League we are a poorer standard which is always the (grossly unfair) comparison which will be made. Highlighting that some of the best players in the EPL at the moment were developed up here is great.

TheGreenMan
30-07-2020, 11:26 AM
Condescending, tick box mockery.

First caption under the picture saying 'Has your league got a team sponsored by a kebab shop?' says it all

hibee-boys
30-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Any press is good press so they say😂 No issue with it.

Bostonhibby
30-07-2020, 11:37 AM
Wow, do they know Hearts have been relegated?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

easty
30-07-2020, 11:42 AM
They seem to think Dundee have the fewest wins in a season, with 5. But hearts just got relegated with only 4 wins. Record breakers.

speedy_gonzales
30-07-2020, 11:44 AM

If you take the "what team should I support" quiz, they certainly do!

Hibernian
The only Edinburgh based club left in the Premiership and Andy Murray's boyhood heroes

Bostonhibby
30-07-2020, 11:47 AM

Hibernian
The only Edinburgh based club left in the Premiership and Andy Murray's boyhood heroesI don't think the BBC will be able to cope with a full on Mrs doctor Budge statement and the subsequent legal action.

Saughton Jambos wife won't be able to watch Eastenders any more either.

blackpoolhibs
30-07-2020, 12:07 PM
I don't think the BBC will be able to cope with a full on Mrs doctor Budge statement and the subsequent legal action.

Saughton Jambos wife won't be able to watch Eastenders any more either.

Dont be silly? :confused:

jacomo
30-07-2020, 12:08 PM
I think the tone is fine and positive overall.

Frankly, if you are new to Scottish football and tune in expecting the level of quality in the EPL, you are going to be disappointed. Plenty of people only see football as elite level on TV, so are hugely uneducated about other leagues.

Callyballybe
30-07-2020, 12:28 PM
Apart from the kebab shop comment at the beginning (Are Accies actually sponsored by a take away?!) I think the tone overall is fine. I know it's a once off but I actually think starting the Scottish league slightly earlier, and finishing slightly earlier as well, would potentially garner more interest down south. Certainly for those who have been starved of football over the summer, getting a bigger market more 'in tune' with Scottish football on the whole wouldn't be a bad thing.

Bostonhibby
30-07-2020, 12:32 PM
Dont be silly? :confused:There's no telling how far his boycott will extend[emoji6]

Callyballybe
30-07-2020, 12:33 PM

Hibernian
The only Edinburgh based club left in the Premiership and Andy Murray's boyhood heroes

Yep. I did this as well, makes it clear they have been relegated. :aok:

Vault Boy
30-07-2020, 12:40 PM
The quirky and unapologetic nature of Scottish football is a huge part of the appeal and something to embrace.

The standard of play and some of the players are vastly underrated by a lot of people (including some Scots IMO), however the character and spirit of the Scottish game will always remain an integral part of the entertainment value to be found in the SPFL.

I wouldn't have it any other way honestly.

blackpoolhibs
30-07-2020, 12:43 PM
There's no telling how far his boycott will extend[emoji6]

:greengrin Everything he's said from day one has been false, i've no need to start believing him now regarding having a wife, thats taking things way too far. :wink:

Bostonhibby
30-07-2020, 12:49 PM
:greengrin Everything he's said from day one has been false, i've no need to start believing him now regarding having a wife, thats taking things way too far. :wink:
[emoji16]
Ah, that sort of wife. See what you mean now.

hibby rae
30-07-2020, 12:52 PM

Hibernian

I took that quiz. Was ****ting myself I'd get the Huns, luckily got Hibs!

And then I sent it to my Jambo mates on a whatsapp group so they could pick a team for the season.

makaveli1875
30-07-2020, 12:55 PM

They werent relegated , they were demoted then expelled and were just recently chucked out .

RoYO!
30-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Think it's fine tbh. It is a completely different proposition altogether.

Sky must be happy that they've got more live football on too- hopefully make them try harder as they know they'll have a larger audience.

norhfc
30-07-2020, 01:03 PM
Yes !
I got Hibs too 🇳🇬😁

hibby rae
30-07-2020, 01:04 PM
Think it's fine tbh. It is a completely different proposition altogether.

Sky must be happy that they've got more live football on too- hopefully make them try harder as they know they'll have a larger audience.

Was it BT that had SJM as a pundit for one of our games? Would be great to get him back to do more coverage

RoYO!
30-07-2020, 01:08 PM
Was it BT that had SJM as a pundit for one of our games? Would be great to get him back to do more coverage

Didn't actually see that one- but that kinda thing would be excellent.

EI255
30-07-2020, 01:14 PM
They might enjoy the Glasgow Derby.
They might enjoy Hibs v The Rangers.
I think Aberdeen v The Rangers might also be slightly interesting for them.

However, other than that, do you really think they'll enjoy St Johnstone v Kilmarnock, Hamilton v Motherwell?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

JeMeSouviens
30-07-2020, 01:20 PM

You say that, but there is actual photo evidence of them on hols together:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/24/article-2347553-1A7BE404000005DC-263_634x438.jpg

Northernhibee
30-07-2020, 01:24 PM
Condescending, tick box mockery.

First caption under the picture saying 'Has your league got a team sponsored by a kebab shop?' says it all

I think you're being a bit sensitive. Seeing as how the game down south has so many sponsorship deals with multinational companies with crap, boring products and questionable morality I like seeing different sponsors up here.

mayo hibee
30-07-2020, 01:30 PM
No issue with the article. I'm sure they did a similar one for German football when it came back early.

Scottish football isn't going to replace the premier league for most people for the next month. But football die hards will watch it with no English football on.

I'd like to think they'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the football and stadiums. Obviously Celtic Park and Ibrox are well known, but very few people outside Scotland realise there are also stadiums of the quality of Easter Road here and teams with the extent of support that the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen have - obviously the stadiums will unfortunately be empty.

On the other hand places like New Douglas park with two supermarkets where stands should be will be a harder sell.

calumhibee1
30-07-2020, 01:30 PM
I don’t believe for a second anybody will tune into Scottish football with no Hearts.

Northernhibee
30-07-2020, 01:32 PM
I don’t believe for a second anybody will tune into Scottish football with no Hearts.

Even if 50,000 new fans tune in then we're still 350,000 fans down overall.

marinello59
30-07-2020, 01:32 PM

What are your thoughts?

Looks fair enough to me, hope we do get a few more tuning in to the madness that Scottish fitba can be and hopefully adopting Scottish teams.

danhibees1875
30-07-2020, 01:44 PM
"There's no VAR"

:greengrin

Northernhibee
30-07-2020, 01:46 PM
I'm not in love with football as such but with Scottish football. I don't really care too much for the game down south and don't have an English team or a Spanish team or an Italian team, I don't care for the Champions League or Europa League, I really don't care about international football at all.

I love how we don't have VAR, always have a topic of controversy to bitch about, we go to the Tony Macaroni arena for an away game and christen it the Spaghettihad, I love that the game is high paced with mistakes and goals and enjoyment, we have the chance to see talents emerge like John McGinn, Andy Robertson etc. but also have a top league where Colin Nish is one of the top ten all time goalscorers. I love the banter like "Booked for being ugly" and I love away games in the cup to Arbroath and Cowdenbeath and Brechin and the like. I love laughing at Hearts for, amongst another million things, forgetting to order seats for a new stand.

I also wouldn't change Scottish football for anything.

Radium
30-07-2020, 01:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200730/fb329f5ff0b5938760f50060028ff5a3.jpg

... and when you answer the questions correctly you get the only Edinburgh club in the Premiership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibby rae
30-07-2020, 02:06 PM

... and when you answer the questions correctly you get the only Edinburgh club in the Premiership

Tom English must be gutted

RoYO!
30-07-2020, 02:08 PM

Surely must be some problem with the voting system! :D

Northernhibee
30-07-2020, 02:09 PM
Surely must be some problem with the voting system! :D

Budge is speed-dialling her lawyer as we speak :greengrin

Saint Hibee
30-07-2020, 03:06 PM
There’s a book mentioned in an article on fan power in today’s Guardian that really gets to grips with what’s gone wrong with English football: Can We Please Have Our Football Back? by John Nicholson, a great if somewhat depressing read. Just have to make sure we don’t go down the same route.

blackpoolhibs
30-07-2020, 03:22 PM
You say that, but there is actual photo evidence of them on hols together:

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/24/article-2347553-1A7BE404000005DC-263_634x438.jpg

Just like Del Boy, he was only saying the other day, this time next week we will be millionaires. :greengrin

hibbysam
30-07-2020, 03:30 PM
They might enjoy the Glasgow Derby.
They might enjoy Hibs v The Rangers.
I think Aberdeen v The Rangers might also be slightly interesting for them.

However, other than that, do you really think they'll enjoy St Johnstone v Kilmarnock, Hamilton v Motherwell?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I enjoy Chelsea Liverpool, Man City Liverpool, maybe even Man Utd Arsenal.

Apart from those, do I really enjoy Watford Southampton, West Ham Brighton etc?

Can guarantee our bottom of the table clashes are far more intriguing and action packed than the ones down south. Quality is lower, as per the price, but you get far more for your money up here. How many 0-0’s were there at half time down there when football restarted?

hibbysam
30-07-2020, 03:32 PM
I'm not in love with football as such but with Scottish football. I don't really care too much for the game down south and don't have an English team or a Spanish team or an Italian team, I don't care for the Champions League or Europa League, I really don't care about international football at all.

I love how we don't have VAR, always have a topic of controversy to bitch about, we go to the Tony Macaroni arena for an away game and christen it the Spaghettihad, I love that the game is high paced with mistakes and goals and enjoyment, we have the chance to see talents emerge like John McGinn, Andy Robertson etc. but also have a top league where Colin Nish is one of the top ten all time goalscorers. I love the banter like "Booked for being ugly" and I love away games in the cup to Arbroath and Cowdenbeath and Brechin and the like. I love laughing at Hearts for, amongst another million things, forgetting to order seats for a new stand.

I also wouldn't change Scottish football for anything.

Amen! I watch the odd top end English game, and watched all villa’s end of season games for the obvious reason, but it’s horrendous in my eyes most weeks, boring. Scottish football wins for me every day.

Scouse Hibee
30-07-2020, 03:59 PM

What are your thoughts?

Agreed, it’s pish but what else is there to do.

Since452
30-07-2020, 04:01 PM
They can ram it.

tamig
30-07-2020, 04:07 PM
Tom English must be gutted

Interesting its a BBC Scotland article - but not penned by Ton Englisher. I wonder if they asked him although he hasn’t had a good word to say about our game since the season was called. Absolute clown and a disgrace to his role.

Eyrie
30-07-2020, 07:01 PM

Don't know about that.

First time round I answered honestly with "dog" for the mascot and it suggested I should be a terrorist glorifying whinger with personal hygiene issues, missing teeth and a desperate desire to be a citizen of a country I've never visited.

Second time all my answers stayed the same except for pretending it would be a cat, and it realised I'm intelligent, articulate, witty, handsome and a connoisseur of good football in a vibrant capital city with no derby.

SingaporeHibs
30-07-2020, 07:05 PM
And overall leads back to Hibs offering of PPV. How many thousands who have no real connection to Hibs may fancy a cheeky wee look to see the mighty Hibees?

HibbyAndy
30-07-2020, 07:21 PM
Yeah cause Brighton v Southampton is riveting :hilarious:hilarious

Their is plenty pish games in England as well

The 90+2
30-07-2020, 07:32 PM
Don't know about that.

First time round I answered honestly with "dog" for the mascot and it suggested I should be a terrorist glorifying whinger with personal hygiene issues, missing teeth and a desperate desire to be a citizen of a country I've never visited.

Second time all my answers stayed the same except for pretending it would be a cat, and it realised I'm intelligent, articulate, witty, handsome and a connoisseur of good football in a vibrant capital city with no derby.

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Scott Allan Key
31-07-2020, 12:51 AM

I also wouldn't change Scottish football for anything.Great post.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

theonlywayisup
31-07-2020, 06:23 AM

I answered the questions and it said that I should follow Celtic!!!!

nonshinyfinish
31-07-2020, 07:43 AM
And overall leads back to Hibs offering of PPV. How many thousands who have no real connection to Hibs may fancy a cheeky wee look to see the mighty Hibees?

It's plausible that English fans with little other football to watch might tune in to games on Sky if they already have a subscription.

It's not plausible that any significant number would decide they fancy watching Hibs and pay £15–20 for a single game.

franks
31-07-2020, 08:32 AM
Doing the wee fun quizzes and answering honestly I got manager Derek McInnes which could have been worse and much to my delight Hibernian as my team.

Eyrie
31-07-2020, 06:25 PM
I answered the questions and it said that I should follow Celtic!!!!

See above :wink:

Sir David Gray
31-07-2020, 06:48 PM

How many non-Hibs and Kilmarnock fans do you think would go to the bother and expense of setting up and paying between £10-20 to watch Hibs v Kilmarnock on Hibs TV?

There wouldn't be that many people in Scotland who would do it, never mind in England.

I think PPV should have been available so non-season ticket holding Hibs fans and Kilmarnock fans could have watched the game but this isn't a reason.

NAE NOOKIE
01-08-2020, 01:18 AM
Ach, its just a bit of fun and perhaps some English fans with SKY subscriptions will tune in from time to time, it's not unusual for fans to pick a team to follow from other leagues, even if that league isn't their idea of footballing nirvana ......... and if nothing else Hibs do have an outstanding strip in a colour that wont offend the sensibilities of English fans seeing as how only about three of their 92 clubs actually play in green.

I got Hibs in the quiz too .. and I even answered the questions honestly :greengrin