PDA

View Full Version : Starting XI V Kilmarnock

St Pauli Hibee
28-07-2020, 12:00 PM
Really Looking forward to seeing Hibs again albeit from the sofa. Hoping to see 2 up top for us

Marciano

Stevenson
Hanlon
Jackson
McGinn

Gogic
Allan
Newell
Boyle

Nisbet
Doidge

B.H.F.C
28-07-2020, 12:07 PM
Difficult to form an opinion with such limited information from the pre season games. Players I think will definitely play;

Marciano, McGinn, Porteous, Stevenson, Gogic, Newell, Allan, Boyle and Nisbet.

I’d add Doidge to that list but saw it suggested that he might be injured? No idea if true. If he is then I think Wright will play and Boyle will partner Nisbet.

Big decision seems to be at the back.

Vault Boy
28-07-2020, 12:11 PM
Back 3 for me.

Rocky

Porteous
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Wright

Gogic
Newell

Allan

Doidge
Nisbet

TheGreenMan
28-07-2020, 12:15 PM
Back 3 for me.

Rocky

Porteous
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Wright

Gogic
Newell

Allan

Doidge
Nisbet

This but Doig at LWB for me. Get him in

Brightside
28-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Back 3 for me.

Rocky

Porteous
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Wright

Gogic
Newell

Allan

Doidge
Nisbet

That could end up either a 9-0 win for us or a 9-9 draw. Lots of talk about Wright being very good at the defending side of a Wing Back....Boyle not so much.

Leitherhibs
28-07-2020, 12:27 PM
Rocky. 3-5-2

Porteous
Jackson
Hanlon

Boyle
Doig

Gogic
Hallberg
Allan

Doidge
Nisbet

MWHIBBIES
28-07-2020, 12:29 PM
That could end up either a 9-0 win for us or a 9-9 draw. Lots of talk about Wright being very good at the defending side of a Wing Back....Boyle not so much.

Boyle was absolutely top class at right wing back in 2018. Not worried about him at all.

MWHIBBIES
28-07-2020, 12:30 PM
Rocky. 3-5-2

Porteous
Jackson
Hanlon

Boyle
Doig

Gogic
Hallberg
Allan

Doidge
Nisbet

I think this is close to what it will be. Toss up between Hallberg, Mallan and Newall for that last midfield spot.

Nicho87
28-07-2020, 12:35 PM
Marciano

Porteous McGregor Hanlon

Boyle Gogic Newell Wright

Allan

Doidge Nisbet

Vault Boy
28-07-2020, 12:37 PM

Aye a lot hinges on the wing backs, but I mind Boyle doing well there before so I'd be hopeful.

I think having Gogic and Newell in there would really help supliment the defence, though. I wouldn't be risking that shape if it was a season ago and we had Slivka and Mallan starting, but the two more defensively aware and robust midfielders will help.

Newell isn't a CDM of course, but has displayed greater propensity for it than Slivka or Mallan IMO. Gogic is a pure destroyer and will make a big difference.

My mind drifted from Doig for some reason, but I would be happy to see him start too.

PH91
28-07-2020, 12:39 PM
Given jackson and hanlon played yesterday i dont expect both to start on saturday. I reckon 352.

Rocky

Mcginn
Porteous
Hanlon

Boyle
Stevenson

Gogic
Newell
Allan

Doidge
Nisbet

Wright, Horgan, Mallan and Gullan all good attacking options from the bench.

Partyraiser
28-07-2020, 12:40 PM
Back 3 for me.

Rocky

Porteous
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Wright

Gogic
Newell

Allan

Doidge
Nisbet

this for me, minus Wright for Doig

jacomo
28-07-2020, 12:42 PM
I thought Drey Wright was a right winger, but it appears from some of the selections above that he’s whatever you want him to be!

Vault Boy
28-07-2020, 12:44 PM
I thought Drey Wright was a right winger, but it appears from some of the selections above that he’s whatever you want him to be!

He's played on both flanks, in a ten and at wing back. The latter for a fairly significant part of his time in England.

jacomo
28-07-2020, 12:45 PM
He's played on both flanks, in a ten and at wing back. The latter for a fairly significant part of his time in England.

Ok thanks. I’m pleased with his signing, he seems like a good character who really enjoys playing.

AgentDaleCooper
28-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Boyle was absolutely top class at right wing back in 2018. Not worried about him at all.

did he not have efe at RCB to help cover though?

04Sauzee
28-07-2020, 12:47 PM
Ok thanks. I’m pleased with his signing, he seems like a good character who really enjoys playing.

There's a fans review of Drey Wright here 👀

https://youtu.be/g-v1W5VQUTI

Hibee Mac
28-07-2020, 12:54 PM
I thought Drey Wright was a right winger, but it appears from some of the selections above that he’s whatever you want him to be!An awful lot of people seem happy enough to stick him on the left, however from what I have read, including Danny Swansons interview, he is very much a right sided player.

I would thinking of playing Boyle on the left so by the same logic I wouldn't be so quick to assume Wright should be stuck on the left. Doig, Newell and Horgan are all probably more suited to the role, in that order. (Maybe less so Horgan)...

hfc rd
28-07-2020, 12:54 PM
Reckon Jack Ross will go for a 3-5-2. Are there going to be 9 subs, allowing you to bring on 5 like what they have been doing in the EPL?

MWHIBBIES
28-07-2020, 12:58 PM

Yeah, Efe could make me look like a player. Don't think having Porteous there would be too bad, though.

hibbysam
28-07-2020, 01:08 PM

And Stevenson at LWB who played essentially as a left back. When attacking Boyle was a right winger and we had a back 4.

Think it would still work with Porteous in behind him, but would need either Gogic to drop in as a centre half with Hanlon pushing out (when attacking to keep that 4) or a more defensive left wing back.

3-5-2
Marciano
Porteous
Jackson
Hanlon
Boyle
Hallberg
Gogic
Doig
Allan
Doidge
Nisbet

Or
4-2-3-1
Marciano
McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Gogic
Hallberg

Boyle
Allan
Wright

Doidge

Unseen work
28-07-2020, 01:39 PM
.....................Marciano..............

.....Porteous....McGregor....Hanlon...

Boyle.......Gogic........Newell.........Wright/Doig

...........................Allan........

................Nisbet......Doidge.....

From what Iv heard about Wright is he is a very hard working winger who tracks back and has played wing back before - Think he has featured in the majority of games so makes me think he will be starting, albeit as far as I’m aware he’s always been on the right. Maybe Doigs performance against Celtic is enough to convince Ross?

What I’m most intrigued/worried about is the players mindset. They’ve now played 4/5 friendlies against SPFL opposition with no fans, how do they change their mindset now on Saturday that it’s a competitive game?

Personally, I think it will be a huge test to be at it the whole game and not get back in the mindset of the previous games they’ve played. No fans, atmosphere or obvious publicity might lower some players levels.

Really excited to see Newell play a more central position this season. Strong, athletic and very good on the ball. Will be good having a player in the middle of the park that can drop the shoulder and go past players too.

Hibee Mac
28-07-2020, 01:53 PM

.....Porteous....McGregor....Hanlon...

Boyle.......Gogic........Newell.........Wright/Doig

...........................Allan........

................Nisbet......Doidge.....

From what Iv heard about Wright is he is a very hard working winger who tracks back and has played wing back before - Think he has featured in the majority of games so makes me think he will be starting, albeit as far as I’m aware he’s always been on the right. Maybe Doigs performance against Celtic is enough to convince Ross?

What I’m most intrigued/worried about is the players mindset. They’ve now played 4/5 friendlies against SPFL opposition with no fans, how do they change their mindset now on Saturday that it’s a competitive game?

Personally, I think it will be a huge test to be at it the whole game and not get back in the mindset of the previous games they’ve played. No fans, atmosphere or obvious publicity might lower some players levels.

Really excited to see Newell play a more central position this season. Strong, athletic and very good on the ball. Will be good having a player in the middle of the park that can drop the shoulder and go past players too.You make a really good point about player motivation and energy levels. Hadn't really though about that until now but seems obvious now you say it.

It could be hard for some to get out of pre-season mode.

Dr_Regal

.....Porteous....Jackson....Hanlon...

Boyle.......Gogic........Newell.........Horgan

.......................Allan......…...………………...

................Nisbet......Doidge...……………...

HendoDelivered
Marciano

Porto
Jackson
Hanlon

Boyle
Newell
Gogic
Allan
Wright

Nisbet
Doidge

B.H.F.C
28-07-2020, 02:01 PM
You make a really good point about player motivation and energy levels. Hadn't really though about that until now but seems obvious now you say it.

It could be hard for some to get out of pre-season mode.

Watching the game yesterday, which obviously was a pre season game, I thought it was played at a decent pace and wasn’t a bad watch. I know that the team on Saturday will be completely different but I was relatively encouraged by that.

Stuart93
28-07-2020, 02:10 PM
I had no idea Doidge’s been injured which is why he’s missed most/all of the bounce games

JammyDoidger
28-07-2020, 02:18 PM
This but Doig at LWB for me. Get him in

This.

Billy Whizz
28-07-2020, 02:21 PM
I had no idea Doidge’s been injured which is why he’s missed most/all of the bounce games

What was the team at Pittodrie on Saturday, I’d had no idea either

Speedway
28-07-2020, 02:24 PM
Marciano

Gray
McGregor
Porto
Doig

Wright
Allan
Gogic
Newell

Boyle
Nisbet

I believe Doidge is in a race to be fit for the first game.

NorthNorfolkHFC
28-07-2020, 02:26 PM
Marciano

Porto
Jackson
Hanlon

Boyle
Newell
Gogic
Allan
Wright

Nisbet
Doidge

Likely.

Good team. May end up with Doig/Stevenson in for D’oidge with Boyle shifting to striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J-C
28-07-2020, 02:43 PM
4-3-3

Rocky

McGinn/Gray
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Mallan
Gogic
Allan

Boyle
Nisbet
Wright

wookie70
28-07-2020, 03:08 PM
Boyle was absolutely top class at right wing back in 2018. Not worried about him at all. Agreed, I think it may be his best position. He does a pretty good job in defense

Leitherhibs
28-07-2020, 03:28 PM
Seems to be a consensus that Josh Doig is in the running to start - I for one am going to be really disappointed when he inevitably ends up signing for Arbroath on loan for the rest of the season.

B.H.F.C
28-07-2020, 04:15 PM
I’m pretty sure we’ll play three at the back and McGinn and Porteous will make up two of those three.

If Doidge isn’t fit enough to start I think Boyle will play up front with Nisbet, with Wright at wing back.

Middle of the park picks itself IMO.

I’d play Doig but I think we’ll play Stevenson.

hfc rd
28-07-2020, 05:08 PM
Marciano

Jackson
Porteous
Hanlon

Boyle
Allan
Gogic
Newell
Doig

Doidge
Nisbet

sean04
30-07-2020, 02:13 PM
I’m really hoping to see Newell and gogic at the base of midfield. Newell set piece delivery could be the difference

bigwheel
30-07-2020, 05:12 PM
I see our recent record with Beaton as the ref is played six W1 D1 L4. Hope we balance that up a bit on Saturday.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JammyDoidger
30-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Opening day. Go out and get at them! Gon the cabbage!!

Unseen work
31-07-2020, 09:14 PM
Going by Jack Ross’ interview on YouTube Doidge has missed a fair chunk of pre season and only played 45 minutes. With that in mind I think we will start with 4232

.......................Marciano...................

McGinn.......McGregor.....Porteous......Stevenson. ....

................Gogic..........Newell.........

Boyle..................Allan..............Wright.. ....

........................Nisbet............

04Sauzee
31-07-2020, 09:16 PM
Going by Jack Ross’ interview on YouTube Doidge has missed a fair chunk of pre season and only played 45 minutes. With that in mind I think we will start with 4232

Might not be far off with the formation going with the personnel we have.

Brightside
31-07-2020, 09:24 PM
Daz and Porty in the same back 4 would not be wise.

smithy_hibees
31-07-2020, 09:26 PM

This but young Doig in for Lewis unfortunately

supermcginn
31-07-2020, 09:27 PM

Gray and doig full backs the rest is spot on.

bingo70
31-07-2020, 09:29 PM
Marciano

Mcginn
Porteous
Hanlon

Wright
Allan
Gogic
Newell
Doig

Boyle
Nisbet

I thought we might have gone for a 433 this season but if Doidge hasn’t played all pre-season and Ross is wanting to play a 3-5-2 then I think we’ll go with the above.

B.H.F.C
31-07-2020, 09:30 PM

Personnel won’t be far away from. Only difference might be Hanlon for McGregor.

But I think we’ll be three at the back. If Doidge isn’t fit I think Boyle will play up top with Wright at wing back.

Hiber-nation
31-07-2020, 09:40 PM
Daz and Porty in the same back 4 would not be wise.

Don't want to think about that, left side would be a nightmare and no passing from the back.

Unseen work
31-07-2020, 09:50 PM
I actually thought Porteous had improved massively with his passing and was starting to play out from the back a lot, playing quite clever passes - sometimes trying to be too clever.

I’m also not one for defenders trying to be too clever, Efe is the exception as he was a genius. But centre backs should give the ball to the better players, simple 5 yard pass into someone like Newell in the middle of the park is all they need to do.

I don’t know when defenders started thinking their role was to play the Scott Allan pass from centre half. Let the good players play.

The good thing is Boyle and Wright will give us real width, stretch the game and be an out ball for us so Newell etc can change pay quickly. McGinn will also motor forward with Gogic dropping in for cover.

Also if anyone expects Gogic to get on the ball and dictate play I think they’ll be bitterly disappointed. He will always do the simple pass but knows his role inside out, give it to the best players who can hurt the opposition, be a leader and do the dirty/defensive work.

Hopefully we pick up 3 points and give Kilmarnock a bit of a hiding to get the confidence up early. A goal for Nisbet would be huge and relieve a lot of pressure for him.

Brightside
31-07-2020, 10:16 PM
I actually thought Porteous had improved massively with his passing and was starting to play out from the back a lot, playing quite clever passes - sometimes trying to be too clever.

I’m also not one for defenders trying to be too clever, Efe is the exception as he was a genius. But centre backs should give the ball to the better players, simple 5 yard pass into someone like Newell in the middle of the park is all they need to do.

I don’t know when defenders started thinking their role was to play the Scott Allan pass from centre half. Let the good players play.

The good thing is Boyle and Wright will give us real width, stretch the game and be an out ball for us so Newell etc can change pay quickly. McGinn will also motor forward with Gogic dropping in for cover.

Also if anyone expects Gogic to get on the ball and dictate play I think they’ll be bitterly disappointed. He will always do the simple pass but knows his role inside out, give it to the best players who can hurt the opposition, be a leader and do the dirty/defensive work.

Hopefully we pick up 3 points and give Kilmarnock a bit of a hiding to get the confidence up early. A goal for Nisbet would be huge and relieve a lot of pressure for him.

No offence but that sounds like Terry Butcher. He turned out defenders into players that were scared too pass. Every single player should be good with their feet. Including the goalie.

J-C
31-07-2020, 10:30 PM

4232, yea lets go with that formation and hope the ref doesn't notice the extra player on the pitch.

Seriously though, 4231/433/451 won't be too far off but I'd expect to see Hanlon in instead of McGregor.

Unseen work
31-07-2020, 10:32 PM
No offence but that sounds like Terry Butcher. He turned out defenders into players that were scared too pass. Every single player should be good with their feet. Including the goalie.

I think it’s the opposite, I’m saying our centre half a should keep it simple and give it to the centre midfielders in-front of them and let them play. We need to retain possession a lot better and for longer periods imo so we can camp teams in and make them work to get the ball back.

Completely agree they should all be comfortable with their feet, but it’s having the knowledge when to play and how to use the ball smartly. Also it’s hard to play out from the back when Marciano is horrible with the ball at his feet.

Terry Butcher never done that, he had them sending 60 yard passes to wingers or up to the striker, something I can’t stand to watch. He had Nelson thinking he could zing a ball like Beckham but instead it would instantly gift possession back to the opposition.

As a team we seem to concede very very sloppy goals and seem to gift them to the opposition which we need to eradicate. We need to play in the right areas of the pitch.

There is a time and place for the passing however and at times the defenders need to know when it’s not safe and to play it long. In this league not many teams will press us that high up the pitch with the exception of the old firm, times like that you need to be a bit more street wise. You see it in the Prem when teams like Norwich concede against Liverpool’s by their centre half’s thinking they can play around their own box.

The friendly on Monday against Celtic was the prime example. Jackson played a sloppy pass to Hallberg on the edge of the box, he slipped and Celtic got the ball and scored.

Hanlon, McGregor, Hanlon and even Fontaine’s job was made a lot easier as they had guys like McGeouch, Fyvie and McGinn that would drop deep to get in it and play.

Green Manalishi
31-07-2020, 10:35 PM
I doubt Doidge will start. He has not kicked a ball in any of the friendlies. It’s more likely Horgan will be up front alongside Nisbet. He has apparently looked impressive through the middle in the pre season kickabouts

SMAXXA
31-07-2020, 10:58 PM
Team a recon will be -

Marciano

Mcginn
Porteous
Hanlon
Stevenson

Gogic

Allan
Newall
Wright

Boyle
Nesbit

Brooster
01-08-2020, 07:03 AM
I doubt Doidge will start. He has not kicked a ball in any of the friendlies. It’s more likely Horgan will be up front alongside Nisbet. He has apparently looked impressive through the middle in the pre season kickabouts

Doidge played against St Mirren but hasn't played since. I think:

Marciano

McGinn
Porto
McGregor
Doig

Gogic
Allan
Newell
Boyle
Wright

Nesbit

Gray could be pushing McGinn for a place in the team though.

Sir David Gray
01-08-2020, 07:15 AM
Doidge is injured apparently and won't play.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/news/hibernian-striker-christian-doidge-missing-for-season-opener-against-kilmarnock-1596213930000

Of course I've stuck him down as first goalscorer in the competition thread. :rolleyes:

Brightside
01-08-2020, 07:40 AM
Marciano

Mcginn
Porteous
Hanlon

Wright
Allan
Gogic
Newell
Doig

Boyle
Nisbet

I thought we might have gone for a 433 this season but if Doidge hasn’t played all pre-season and Ross is wanting to play a 3-5-2 then I think we’ll go with the above.

I think this will be pretty close tbh. Maybe Boyle for Gullan. Tricky to fit all the pacy players into the side now. Horgan also has done really well in the pre games and will be pushing for a place.

Unseen work
01-08-2020, 07:48 AM
As much as I’d like to, I just can’t see Doig starting.

Only turned 18 in May and I wouldn’t be surprised to see us loan him out to a championship team with the view to him starting for us next season.

Heisenberg
01-08-2020, 07:51 AM

Only turned 18 in May and I wouldn’t be surprised to see us loan him out to a championship team with the view to him starting for us next season.

His age shouldn’t matter imo, if he’s good enough he should be in the side. We shouldn’t hold him back just because he’s young.

Unseen work
01-08-2020, 07:57 AM
His age shouldn’t matter imo, if he’s good enough he should be in the side. We shouldn’t hold him back just because he’s young.

I completely agree and I think this is the ideal time to bed him in, I’m just not sure why but I can’t see him starting today and would be pleasantly surprised if he did.

B.H.F.C
01-08-2020, 07:57 AM

Now is the perfect chance to see if he can handle it IMO.

I hope he’s not another player who were talking about in 2 or 3 years as needing a loan or not having enough games for his age.

Brightside
01-08-2020, 08:01 AM

He's not going anywhere....Mackie on the other hand.

hibee-boys
01-08-2020, 08:03 AM

If we're ever going to give a youngster a chance to nail down a first team place now would be a great opportunity. No mid season pressure, should be feeling confident following some good pre season minutes, no fans in the stadium, Kilmarnock at home......would Stevenson offer anything more! Anyway, it may come down to how Jack Ross wants us to play i.e. flat 4 or wing backs, he may prefer Wright at wing back.

flash
01-08-2020, 08:09 AM

If Mackie is deemed to be behind Doig in the pecking order we should be moving him on.

Brightside
01-08-2020, 09:50 AM
Could be a 451 today. But a very attacking one.

Rocky
McGinn
Porto
Hanlon (c)
Doig

Boyle
Newall
Alan
Gogic
Wright

Nesbitt

Mikey
01-08-2020, 09:53 AM

Rocky
McGinn
Porto
Hanlon (c)
Doig

Boyle
Newall
Alan
Gogic
Wright

Nesbitt

Only 2 cup winners in that team, and one of them didn't play in the final..............

Brooster
01-08-2020, 10:04 AM

I'm convinced he will start today!

B.H.F.C
01-08-2020, 10:07 AM
A lot of people putting Wright on the left from what I’ve seen. Has he played there pre season? Did he ever play there for St Johnstone?

S4uzee
01-08-2020, 10:08 AM

Do you think Doig is good enough to be starting? I’ve not seen him play

Brightside
01-08-2020, 10:11 AM
Do you think Doig is good enough to be starting? I’ve not seen him play

100%.

Eyrie
01-08-2020, 10:19 AM
A lot of people putting Wright on the left from what I’ve seen. Has he played there pre season? Did he ever play there for St Johnstone?

Don't know about pre-season but he did for St Johnstone.

Daydreamer
01-08-2020, 10:24 AM
Marciano

McGinn
Porteous
Hanlon

Gogic

Boyle
Hallberg
Allan
Newell

Nisbet
Gullan/Doidge

Can't see Ross playing a back four

calumhibee1
01-08-2020, 10:42 AM

Rocky
McGinn
Porto
Hanlon (c)
Doig

Boyle
Newall
Alan
Gogic
Wright

Nesbitt

That’s exactly what I think we’ll go with but more of a 4-2-3-1 (not that it makes much odds!)

ian cruise
01-08-2020, 10:54 AM
Only 2 cup winners in that team, and one of them didn't play in the final..............

Seems sad when you realise that but it was 4 years ago, time moves fast in football.

J-C
01-08-2020, 12:24 PM

In his Hibs TV interview he said he can play left, right, behind the striker or as a striker himself.

Tambo
01-08-2020, 12:38 PM
I need team news and official match thread.

The 90+2
01-08-2020, 12:49 PM
I need team news and official match thread.

Teams in.

Good luck young Josh Doig 💚

The 90+2
01-08-2020, 12:50 PM
That’s exactly what I think we’ll go with but more of a 4-2-3-1 (not that it makes much odds!)

That is the team.

hfc-1875
01-08-2020, 12:51 PM
Happy with that team! Good options from the bench too. Mon the cabbage

BoomtownHibees
01-08-2020, 12:53 PM
3-5-2?

Rocky

Mcginn
Porteous
Hanlon

Wright
Gogic
Allan
Newell
Doig

Boyle
Nisbet

King Cosell
01-08-2020, 12:54 PM

Rocky
McGinn
Porto
Hanlon (c)
Doig

Boyle
Newall
Alan
Gogic
Wright

Nesbitt

Think it's a 3-5-2 with McGinn & Doig wing backs, Boyle up front with Nesbit.

spudhib
01-08-2020, 12:54 PM
3-5-2?

Rocky

Mcginn
Porteous
Hanlon

Wright
Gogic
Allan
Newell

Boyle
Nisbet

Doig too mate.

BoomtownHibees
01-08-2020, 12:55 PM
Doig too mate.

Edited now 😀

King Cosell
01-08-2020, 12:55 PM

*Wright & Doig wing backs

spudhib
01-08-2020, 12:56 PM

Think Wright will be RWB Mcginn as one of the CBs.

Brightside
01-08-2020, 01:03 PM

Rocky
McGinn
Porto
Hanlon (c)
Doig

Boyle
Newall
Alan
Gogic
Wright

Nesbitt

Easy game this. 😂