PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh’s Best Foreign Player

Hakim Sar
24-07-2020, 08:43 PM
Having read the articles on Edinburgh Live with the top 5 Hibs and Hearts foreign players as voted by the fans, I thought I would take the time to organise all into an outright top 10 for both clubs. Please feel free to disagree or suggest others. Also I know said website is not the pinnacle of journalism and lord knows which fans were consulted but let’s break it down.

Firstly the Hibs vote :

5) Guillaume Beuzelin
4) Anthony Stokes
3) Mixu
2) Sir Russell
1) Le God

Then the Yams :

5) Flögel
4) Stephane Adam
3) Antti Niemi
2) Takis Fyssas
1) Skacel

The aforementioned organised into an Edinburgh top 10, imho, would be :

10) Flögel - not a stand out for me
9) Adam - I’m sure he was never prolific, and never stood out as a player you’d say “oh I wish we had him”
8) Boozy - a fine player for us, but also found his level at us. Decent if not spectacular.
7) Stokes - sometimes a great goal scorer. Achieved a lot in his career compared to others on this list.
6) Skacel - overrated for me, more a character than a player to fear. Can’t doubt he scored derby goals that curry favour. A decent player.
5) Mixu - great CV, every club loved him. A leader.
4) Niemi - a top goalie to be fair. Really impressive.
3) Fyssas - a class act. A really really good player that Hearts were lucky to have. Would have walked into any team in Scotland at the time.
2) Latapy - wins it over Fyssas for 2nd due to memorable moments. Skill, goals and assists. Top drawer and forgetting the acrimonious split from us, a genuinely class player that will live long in the memory.
1) Sauzee - I dare not critique Le God. A Giant of the Scottish Game.

Anyone missed from the list?

Zitelli probably sticks out for me.. As for Hearts...Zaliukas?

Thoughts...

eastterrace
24-07-2020, 09:29 PM
Having read the articles on Edinburgh Live with the top 5 Hibs and Hearts foreign players as voted by the fans, I thought I would take the time to organise all into an outright top 10 for both clubs. Please feel free to disagree or suggest others. Also I know said website is not the pinnacle of journalism and lord knows which fans were consulted but let’s break it down.

Firstly the Hibs vote :

5) Guillaume Beuzelin
4) Anthony Stokes
3) Mixu
2) Sir Russell
1) Le God

Then the Yams :

5) Flögel
4) Stephane Adam
3) Antti Niemi
2) Takis Fyssas
1) Skacel

9) Adam - I’m sure he was never prolific, and never stood out as a player you’d say “oh I wish we had him”
8) Boozy - a fine player for us, but also found his level at us. Decent if not spectacular.
7) Stokes - sometimes a great goal scorer. Achieved a lot in his career compared to others on this list.
6) Skacel - overrated for me, more a character than a player to fear. Can’t doubt he scored derby goals that curry favour. A decent player.
3) Fyssas - a class act. A really really good player that Hearts were lucky to have. Would have walked into any team in Scotland at the time.
2) Latapy - wins it over Fyssas for 2nd due to memorable moments. Skill, goals and assists. Top drawer and forgetting the acrimonious split from us, a genuinely class player that will live long in the memory.

Thoughts...i would say Roald Jensen for that lot , he was decent.

The dalmeny
24-07-2020, 09:33 PM
No George Best?

O'Rourke3
24-07-2020, 09:56 PM
No George Best?Guessing sunce he's from the UK then not considered. The greatest Englishman to grace ER was Joe Baker.....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2020, 09:59 PM
Gerry Baker from the USA

The 90+2
24-07-2020, 10:04 PM
Russell Latapy at Hibs is better than anything. Miles better than anything hearts hearts have produced.

Out their prime or whatever it’s amazing they try to even try to put Skacel in the same league as Sauzee.

Overall - Sauzee. In there prime Latapy.

Youngster production wise - Deek over Gordon.

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2020, 10:06 PM
Russell Latapy at Hibs is better than anything. Miles better than anything hearts hearts have produced.

Out their prime or whatever it’s amazing they try to even try to put Skacel in the same league as Sauzee.

Overall - Sauzee. In there prime Latapy.

Funnily enough my exact initial thought on this topic

The dalmeny
24-07-2020, 10:08 PM
Guessing sunce he's from the UK then not considered. The greatest Englishman to grace ER was Joe Baker.....

fair point, entitled to an Irish passport though :aok:

The 90+2
24-07-2020, 10:09 PM
Funnily enough my exact initial thought on this topic

💚

The 90+2
24-07-2020, 10:19 PM
Boozy didn’t find his level at us either. He was a ****ing fantastic footballer we where lucky to have just like freddy arpinon , no idea how we managed to get him. He was the best midfielder in the country before he done his injury.

malcolm
24-07-2020, 10:26 PM

Firstly the Hibs vote :

5) Guillaume Beuzelin
4) Anthony Stokes
3) Mixu
2) Sir Russell
1) Le God

Then the Yams :

5) Flögel
4) Stephane Adam
3) Antti Niemi
2) Takis Fyssas
1) Skacel

Thoughts...
None of the hearts players struck me as excellent with the exception of anti niemi but then he always brought to mind that he maybe had a canary up the the leg of his drawers :wink:

Glory Lurker
24-07-2020, 10:51 PM
It's obviously Sauzee. He can back up his performances with honours and caps.

Pretty Boy
24-07-2020, 11:16 PM
I'd put Sauzee and Fyssas at the top of the list. The careers both had and what they achieved in the game isn't something that pitches up in Edinburgh all that often in modern times. There is always going to be a bias towards attacking players in these kind of things but in their respective positions both players were top class.

I think there is always going to be an element of green tinted specs here but Skacel was a very good footballer as well. Temperemantal, often lazy and, as exemplified at Dundee Utd, his attitude often stank but when he was in the mood I didn't fancy seeing him on the opposition team sheet. I'd still have Latapy well above him of course.

jgl07
24-07-2020, 11:18 PM
fair point, entitled to an Irish passport though :aok:
When Jack Charlton was manager of the Irish Republic team, anyone who could play football was eligible for an Irish Passport.

penihibs
24-07-2020, 11:18 PM
None of the hearts players struck me as excellent with the exception of anti niemi but then he always brought to mind that he maybe had a canary up the the leg of his drawers :wink:
Annti Niemi,sure we banged in plenty past him??

Green Man
24-07-2020, 11:29 PM
Annti Niemi,sure we banged in plenty past him??

Conceded 6 goals in one match and he was still their best player that night. Could have been 10.

Squealing pig
24-07-2020, 11:52 PM
Conceded 6 goals in one match and he was still their best player that night. Could have been 10.

Should have been 10 thanks anti for the memories

NASAHIBS
25-07-2020, 02:07 AM
Sauzee without a doubt💚🇳🇬

NASAHIBS
25-07-2020, 02:11 AM
Sauzee without a doub't💚🇳🇬

NASAHIBS
25-07-2020, 02:15 AM
Sauzee without a doubt🇳🇬

Just_Jimmy
25-07-2020, 04:52 AM
Boozy didn’t find his level at us either. He was a ****ing fantastic footballer we where lucky to have just like freddy arpinon , no idea how we managed to get him. He was the best midfielder in the country before he done his injury.Arpinon was class. Ruined by injury scored an absolute worldie at tannadice midweek that never gets talked about.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
25-07-2020, 04:54 AM
Le God every day of the week. The early game at Brockville with Alex Marinkov's (sp?) was I think his first game for us and anyone with a functioning head could see he was way ahead of anything we had seen in our lifetimes. Magnificent player, what a joy to watch.

JammyDoidger
25-07-2020, 05:16 AM
Takin fysass couldn't lace Sauzee's or latapy's boots! Will struggle to attract better players than they two!

Fuzzywuzzy
25-07-2020, 06:13 AM
Lovell was always steady enough or am I misremembering?

MWHIBBIES
25-07-2020, 06:32 AM
Sauzee won the European cup and 3 league titles with Marseille. Skatcel played 30 games over 3 years for Marseille.

Sauzee is levels above him. Only a real dunce would even compare.

oneone73
25-07-2020, 06:36 AM
A shout-out for Australia's Martin Boyle 😏

Fuzzywuzzy
25-07-2020, 06:54 AM
Benji and zemmama

Since452
25-07-2020, 07:06 AM
Not even being biassed but none of those Hearts players would get in the Hibs list. Maybe Fyssas.

For me Roman Bednar was their best. What a player he was. Don't think he played a huge amount of games though.

Pretty sure Stephane Adam was training with us and we decided not to offer him a contract before he signed for Hearts.

Leitherhibs
25-07-2020, 07:20 AM
I’d have Niemi one place higher and Flogel ahead of Boozy. But that’s it. Think you’re almost spot on.

Fuzzywuzzy
25-07-2020, 07:27 AM
Who was the the fugly that played for them and the rangers. Good defender.

inglisavhibs
25-07-2020, 07:29 AM

Firstly the Hibs vote :

5) Guillaume Beuzelin
4) Anthony Stokes
3) Mixu
2) Sir Russell
1) Le God

Then the Yams :

5) Flögel
4) Stephane Adam
3) Antti Niemi
2) Takis Fyssas
1) Skacel

Thoughts...
Fyssas and Skacel were terrific players but were part of the darkest days at Tynecastle. Part of the long cheating era where wages to these two and many others were not paid for by Hearts. Roald Jensen was an exciting player for them back in the day. Latapy had a golden spell at Easter Road and was a joy to watch.

Beefster
25-07-2020, 07:53 AM
He’s a Hibs legend but Stokes isn’t in the top five imho. Very decent in his first spell but , cup final aside, was pretty average second and third time around.

Just off the top of my head from the players I can think of, I’d probably have the likes of Zemmama or Sproule ahead of Stokes. They’re highly unlikely to be in the top five either though.

No complaints about Sauzee, Latapy and Mixu though!

O'Rourke3
25-07-2020, 07:58 AM
Who was the the fugly that played for them and the rangers. Good defender.Gordan Petric

JimBHibees
25-07-2020, 08:04 AM
Gordan Petric

Thought Petric was poor thought Brellier was a very good footballer.

Onceinawhile
25-07-2020, 08:09 AM
Amazed Joe Baker didn't get on the list tbh.

It was all non Scots.

Since452
25-07-2020, 08:10 AM
Marc Libbra would have been in that list if he stayed longer. He looked utterly unplayable at times

Pretty Boy
25-07-2020, 08:50 AM
Thought Petric was poor thought Brellier was a very good footballer.

Petric was honking. I reckon he'd feature on a few Hearts fans 'worst signings' list considering what they spent on wages. Played a starring role in the Millennium Derby with a bBambi on ice impression.

Bruno Aguiar was a Hearts player I always rated. He looked like he should have been a Hibs player which is about as big a compliment as I can give him.

heretoday
25-07-2020, 12:23 PM
The late Roald Jensen was the best Hearts foreigner. Norwegian winger in the sixties.

greenlex
25-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Gerry Baker from the USA
Did he not sing Rafferty Street?

SMAXXA
25-07-2020, 03:14 PM
In terms of quality I would say Sauzee but In terms of impact and contribution I’d go for Skacel 🤦🏻*♂️

3pm
25-07-2020, 03:44 PM
In terms of quality I would say Sauzee but In terms of impact and contribution I’d go for Skacel 🤦🏻*♂️

Couldnae lace Sauzee's boots. Not even close.

Iggy Pope
25-07-2020, 03:47 PM
Niemi lost something like 12 goals in Derbies alone.

SMAXXA
25-07-2020, 08:25 PM
Couldnae lace Sauzee's boots. Not even close.

Did you read my post?

CMurdoch
25-07-2020, 08:39 PM
Petric was honking. I reckon he'd feature on a few Hearts fans 'worst signings' list considering what they spent on wages. Played a starring role in the Millennium Derby with a bBambi on ice impression.

Bruno Aguiar was a Hearts player I always rated. He looked like he should have been a Hibs player which is about as big a compliment as I can give him.

Yes, Aguiar was a good quality player

3pm
25-07-2020, 08:48 PM
Did you read my post?

Yeah.

SMAXXA
25-07-2020, 08:56 PM
Yeah.

What don’t you agree with?

stoneyburn hibs
25-07-2020, 09:07 PM
Not up for argument or debate.
It's Suazee.

3pm
25-07-2020, 09:21 PM
Contribution & impact.

Sauzee was shortlisted for player of the year. You don't get much more recognition regarding your contribution and impact when your peers vote for you.

SMAXXA
25-07-2020, 09:24 PM
Contribution & impact.

Sauzee was shortlisted for player of the year. You don't get much more recognition regarding your contribution and impact when your peers vote for you.

Granted I agree and i am in no way belittling FS but I would say RS had a bigger impact and made more a contribution than FS did during their time here.

The Baldmans Comb
25-07-2020, 09:49 PM
Joe Baker without question would be ahead of Mixu and Stoksey and Boozy and right up their with Russell though cant argue with Sauzee.

Its not much of a list for either team given the number of foreign players that have passed through.

Glory Lurker
25-07-2020, 09:55 PM
Its not much of a list for either team given the number of foreign players that have passed through.

Very true. Pales against the old firm (deceased), although obviously money accounts for that.

jgl07
27-07-2020, 12:26 AM
Joe Baker without question would be ahead of Mixu and Stoksey and Boozy and right up their with Russell though cant argue with Sauzee.

Yes but Joe was from Motherwell.

O'Rourke3
27-07-2020, 06:45 AM
Yes but Joe was from Motherwell.And born in England, capped for England. Therefor English as applied by the rules for football.....

Viva_Palmeiras
27-07-2020, 07:57 AM
Can’t decide between Hans Eskilsson and Gilles Rousset (surely both had parts in The Flashing Blade) ;)

Viva_Palmeiras
27-07-2020, 07:58 AM
Did Thomas (dude looks like a lady) Brolin actually ever play for Hearts or was he just a trialist in a friendly?

MWHIBBIES
27-07-2020, 09:09 AM

Are we counting him as foreign? If so, he is miles ahead of anyone else, including Sauzee.

Don't really think he counts, though.

The Baldmans Comb
27-07-2020, 11:59 AM
Yes but Joe was from Motherwell.

As already explained Joe was an English Internationalist and won most of his 8 England caps as a Hibs player.

BILLYHIBS
27-07-2020, 12:15 PM
Are we counting him as foreign? If so, he is miles ahead of anyone else, including Sauzee.

Don't really think he counts, though.

If you play for England you are foreign

I never saw him play but what I have read about him you could be correct.

Miles ahead of everyone

Pace to burn, right foot, left foot, good in the air and heart of a lion

oneone73
27-07-2020, 12:29 PM

Miles ahead of everyone

Did you not even see him second time around Billy?

BILLYHIBS
27-07-2020, 12:50 PM
Did you not even see him second time around Billy?
Yip

Was at the Aberdeen game but looked past his best ......at least what I was told :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
27-07-2020, 01:19 PM

Miles ahead of everyone

Yeah, I guess so. I was assuming players outside the home nations. English, Welsh and Nothern Irish players do not count as foreign when it comes to squad registration.

HoboHarry
27-07-2020, 01:21 PM
On a different tack, what about most expensive foreigners?hearts win that, Giles Rousset cost them a cup final and Jürgen Doon cost them relegation 😂

BILLYHIBS
27-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I guess so. I was assuming players outside the home nations. English, Welsh and Nothern Irish players do not count as foreign when it comes to squad registration.

OK!

Does that make Stokesy a foreigner then? 😃

oneone73
27-07-2020, 01:22 PM
I imagine ours will be De la Cruz?

Edit: Most expensive foreigner

MWHIBBIES
27-07-2020, 01:24 PM
OK!

Does that make Stokesy a foreigner then? ��

Well, in terms of birth yes.

He would actually count as homegrown in terms of squad registration, though, because he was with Arsenal from 2003, not that the thread is really about that.

Callum_62
27-07-2020, 06:40 PM
On a different tack, what about most expensive foreigners?hearts win that, Giles Rousset cost them a cup final and Jürgen Doon cost them relegation [emoji23]Pinilla surely

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
27-07-2020, 06:47 PM
10 - Flögel
9 - Adam
8 - Boozy
7 - Mixu
6 - Stokes
5 - Niemi
4 - Fyssas
3 - Skacel
2 - Latapy
1 - Sauzee

Also, as much as we all hated him, Skacel was an exceptionally good player for Hearts and he’s unlucky not to be top of my list purely because of how exceptionally good Latapy and Sauzee were.