PDA

View Full Version : NHC - The Joy of Going to Football Matches with your Grandpa and his Friends

hstn747
24-07-2020, 11:04 AM
A friend I go to the Scotland games with had his article picked up by the Guardian.

Thought it might strike a chord with some on here

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/21/the-joy-of-going-to-football-matches-with-your-grandpa-and-his-friends

Keith_M
24-07-2020, 12:38 PM
None of his friends ever went with us but my Grandad took me to a lot of my earliest games.

He was a Hearts Fan, so we eventually settled on going to watch Scotland youth matches and friendlies.

I remember watching Scotland U18s at Easter Road and Paul McStay stood out a mile. Everybody could see he would turn out to be a great player.

CropleyWasGod
24-07-2020, 01:42 PM
I went to a lot of games with my Granda. He was a Hibbie, but we'd often go to Tynie.

One game that sticks out for me was at Muirton Park; it was something important, but I can't remember what. We left early, as we were getting beat; I think Stanton had been sent off.

As we're leaving, we got some verbals from some Saints fans. My Granda bites back with words that stayed with me for ever..... "see that Alex Macdonald, he's the dirtiest bloody player in Scottish fitba'"

He wasny wrong :greengrin

Sudds_1
24-07-2020, 02:34 PM
My youngest daughter started coming with me to ER when she was 8. 25 years later my grandaughter goes with me now. Educate them early...thats my motto 😁😁

bigwheel
24-07-2020, 02:40 PM
I went to a lot of games with my Granda. He was a Hibbie, but we'd often go to Tynie.

One game that sticks out for me was at Muirton Park; it was something important, but I can't remember what. We left early, as we were getting beat; I think Stanton had been sent off.

As we're leaving, we got some verbals from some Saints fans. My Granda bites back with words that stayed with me for ever..... "see that Alex Macdonald, he's the dirtiest bloody player in Scottish fitba'"

He wasny wrong :greengrin

Lol. Nice little story. It’s funny the things we remember.

Educated me this one - hadn’t realised he started out at Saints ....