PDA

View Full Version : Jude Bellingham

Since452
23-07-2020, 03:07 PM
For anyone who was cringing at our season ticket video last night, Birmingham City have just retired this kids shirt number following his move to Dortmund.

He played 44 games for them

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2020, 03:15 PM
Absolute tinpot stuff.

Hes a really solid young player but this is just madness.

Since452
23-07-2020, 03:16 PM
Absolute tinpot stuff.

Hes a really solid young player but this is just madness.

Led them to 20th in the Championship to be fair 🤦

neil7908
23-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Crazy stuff. Genuinely mental. Villa fans will be absolutely floored with laughter if they stay up.

Vault Boy
23-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Their fans are rightfully scunnered. So out of touch.

Pretty Boy
23-07-2020, 03:30 PM
Why?

Genuinely what reason have the club given for doing so? Have guys like Trevor Francis, Alex Govan or Bob Latchford received similar honours? Even Obafemi Martins seems a better shout and he played about 8 games.

HendoDelivered
23-07-2020, 03:31 PM
Embarrassing stuff that.

J-C
23-07-2020, 03:33 PM
Seen this on Twitter earlier, I thought it was a wind up at first.

Vault Boy
23-07-2020, 03:39 PM
Hibs confirm that they won't be retiring Joe Newell's number 11 shirt after all. Shocking.

Scouse Hibee
23-07-2020, 03:40 PM
This has to be a wind up surely?

Keith_M
23-07-2020, 03:50 PM
This has to be a wind up surely?

"The 22 shirt has become synonymous with Jude, his rise to the first team aged just 16 years and 38 days and these qualities.

And as such the Club have decided it would be fitting to retire this number, to remember one of our own and to inspire others."

BCFC (https://www.bcfc.com/news/articles/2020/bellingham-expresses-his-gratitude/?fbclid=IwAR0matLUemc3wnvRPqQIFJ8OZzGw1JThG3nb1cDP dSfE7-v_2J8yNgATEx0)

The 90+2
23-07-2020, 04:01 PM
Hibs confirm that they won't be retiring Joe Newell's number 11 shirt after all. Shocking.

We sell him for £20m then I’m all for it.

Since452
23-07-2020, 04:06 PM
"The 22 shirt has become synonymous with Jude, his rise to the first team aged just 16 years and 38 days and these qualities.

And as such the Club have decided it would be fitting to retire this number, to remember one of our own and to inspire others."

BCFC (https://www.bcfc.com/news/articles/2020/bellingham-expresses-his-gratitude/?fbclid=IwAR0matLUemc3wnvRPqQIFJ8OZzGw1JThG3nb1cDP dSfE7-v_2J8yNgATEx0)

There's a photo of him sitting alone in the centre circle recreating the famous Iniesta photo. The lad is 17. So embarrassing

Nakedmanoncrack
23-07-2020, 04:10 PM
Laughable, never heard of him.

The 90+2
23-07-2020, 04:12 PM
Laughable, never heard of him.

Doubt many had heard of McGinn either pre-Villa.

Sir David Gray
23-07-2020, 04:21 PM

They mention how he's been in their first team since he was 16 as if it was years and years ago - it was only last year. :faf:

tamig
23-07-2020, 04:29 PM
Don’t know much about this lad at all but think some of the comments here are a tad disrespectful from folk who probably know as much as I do. The guy could turn out to be a world beater.

Bishop Hibee
23-07-2020, 04:30 PM
Doubt many had heard of McGinn either pre-Villa.

He’d won League Cup and Scottish Cup winners medals. This kid has done nothing.

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2020, 04:41 PM

Obviously the retiring of the shirt number is silly but it is no reflection on the player and his ability. Dortmund don't pay 20+ million for 17 year olds for nothing.

Fergos
23-07-2020, 04:45 PM
Never mind Joe Newall, we should retire Kevin Nisbets shirt after his scoring exploits in last weeks closed door friendly.

GGTTH

calumhibee1
23-07-2020, 04:56 PM
Don’t know much about this lad at all but think some of the comments here are a tad disrespectful from folk who probably know as much as I do. The guy could turn out to be a world beater.

Disrespectful to who?

As PB said, there’ll be hundreds of players who contributed more on the pitch to BCFC who haven’t had their numbers retired. It would seem it’s been retired because they sold him for a lot of money having hardly got much use out of him.

Andy74
23-07-2020, 04:57 PM
Disrespectful to who?

As PB said, there’ll be hundreds of players who contributed more on the pitch to BCFC who haven’t had their numbers retired. It would seem it’s been retired because they sold him for a lot of money having hardly got much use out of him.

If we ever sell a 17 year old for more than £20m I’d happily name the stadium after him.

calumhibee1
23-07-2020, 05:05 PM
If we ever sell a 17 year old for more than £20m I’d happily name the stadium after him.

If it was a condition of the sale then aye :greengrin

The 90+2
23-07-2020, 05:19 PM

He’s just made Birmingham £20m.

Stuart93
23-07-2020, 05:35 PM

It’s a sad state of affairs when legends are now based on how much money they make the club

JohnMcM
23-07-2020, 05:43 PM
Please help me. I don't know who you are talking about in this thread or why. I further don't understand why it is on the Hibs Forum, why some people are apparently angry and I even less understand why there is so much to say about it.

Have I missed something? :confused:

Wilson
23-07-2020, 05:46 PM

That just continues the narrative that the money in the game is ridiculous. Not really a reason to retire a shirt.

I'm not a fan if retiring shirts anyway. Young players should be inspired by club legends and be driven to make the number they wore their own.

Wilson
23-07-2020, 05:49 PM
Please help me. I don't know who you are talking about in this thread or why. I further don't understand why it is on the Hibs Forum, why some people are apparently angry and I even less understand why there is so much to say about it.

Have I missed something? :confused:

Forum is for hibs and football chat. It is relevant to hibs last we go down the same ridiculous route. If it were of no interest to hibs fans it would quickly disappear off the page.

Don't worry about it.

Bishop Hibee
23-07-2020, 05:52 PM

Tom Taiwo made Leeds £5m. He became a journeyman midfielder and Leeds splaffed the money. SJM gave Hibs fans memories money could never buy.

JohnMcM
23-07-2020, 05:53 PM
Forum is for hibs and football chat. It is relevant to hibs last we go down the same ridiculous route. If it were of no interest to hibs fans it would quickly disappear off the page.

Don't worry about it.

Thanks.

Still no wiser though:greengrin

The 90+2
23-07-2020, 05:58 PM
It’s a sad state of affairs when legends are now based on how much money they make the club

I don’t think he’s a club legend. He’s one of there own who is tipped for stardom and has made them a lot of money.

The gesture is more of a mark of confidence in him that he’s going to be become a legend in the future in football.

The 90+2
23-07-2020, 05:59 PM
That just continues the narrative that the money in the game is ridiculous. Not really a reason to retire a shirt.

I'm not a fan if retiring shirts anyway. Young players should be inspired by club legends and be driven to make the number they wore their own.

There’s a background story to it also though. I agree the game is ridiculous and I’m not a fan of retiring them either but I’m failing to see an issue with what they’ve done if it makes the club and the support happy.

jacomo
23-07-2020, 06:15 PM

He’s also their youngest player and youngest goal scorer, been with the club since he was 7 and a fan.

Still no need to retire the shirt number though.

BlackSheep
23-07-2020, 06:25 PM
He wore 22, its hardly a big number! If it was 1-11 then maybe there should be an uproar but otherwise who cares!

Haymaker
23-07-2020, 06:46 PM
My friend and colleague is a Brum supporter. He finds it "tinpot".

tamig
23-07-2020, 07:55 PM
My friend and colleague is a Brum supporter. He finds it "tinpot".

I don’t think he’d appreciate you referring to them as Brum. Not a term used for the club.

J-C
23-07-2020, 07:55 PM
https://twitter.com/NoGoalsSkuse/status/1286366918870474753

Good piece of trolling.

Billy Whizz
23-07-2020, 07:58 PM
https://twitter.com/NoGoalsSkuse/status/1286366918870474753

Good piece of trolling.

Fantastic from the Aussie Hibs men and women

Keith_M
23-07-2020, 08:15 PM

Aw come on, are you being serious?

Scouse Hibee
23-07-2020, 09:10 PM
I don’t think he’d appreciate you referring to them as Brum. Not a term used for the club.

As it’s a commonly associated nickname I doubt he would be that bothered.

Haymaker
23-07-2020, 11:26 PM
As it’s a commonly associated nickname I doubt he would be that bothered.

To be honest, if it pissed him off that would be funnier.

Kato
23-07-2020, 11:50 PM
It’s a sad state of affairs when legends are now based on how much money they make the clubExactly mate, there is football in England but there is also "the circus". This is definitely part of the latter.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

SouthMoroccoStu
24-07-2020, 05:34 AM
As others have said, genuinely thought it was a wind up

I could get it if he made 500 appearances and died on the pitch after scoring the winner in the final

Let’s remain St Andrews while we’re at it - The Bellingham Arena has a ring to it...

If this lad reaches the heights predicted - Birmingham will barely feature in his autobiography

Since452
24-07-2020, 05:41 AM

I could get it if he made 500 appearances and died on the pitch after scoring the winner in the final

Let’s remain St Andrews while we’re at it

If this lad reaches the heights predicted - Birmingham will barely feature in his autobiography

Hope the lad does make it because Birmingham will look even more silly if he doesn't

Since452
24-07-2020, 05:46 AM
If we retire our captain David Grays number when he leaves after the most important and iconic goal in our history I'd still say it was pretty tinpot. 44 games ffs

Keith_M
24-07-2020, 10:01 AM
If squad numbers had actually existed in those days and Celtc had decided to 'retire' European Cup winning captain Billy McNeill's number at the end of his long and illustrious career (822 appearances for Celtc)... now that might have made some sense.

This, on the other hand, is mind-numbingly stupid.

MWHIBBIES
24-07-2020, 10:03 AM

Let’s remain St Andrews while we’re at it - The Bellingham Arena has a ring to it...

He was there for 10 years. That is over half his life so far, I think they will feature quite heavily.

Scouse Hibee
24-07-2020, 10:35 AM
Hopefully the lad has his feet firmly planted, realises he has a long way to go yet before he can truly say he has made it in the game as a player and goes on to be highly successful. Not like Feruz who seemed to think he had made it as a big star and then disappeared.

SouthMoroccoStu
24-07-2020, 11:17 AM
He was there for 10 years. That is over half his life so far, I think they will feature quite heavily.

Aye if he releases it tomorrow

When he’s retired at 35 with a long and illustrious playing career, with league winners medals from across Europe, European cups and highlights from world cups (not saying he will but you know what I mean) the youth set up and 1 senior season at Birmingham will get very little mention

Andy74
24-07-2020, 11:32 AM
Aye if he releases it tomorrow

When he’s retired at 35 with a long and illustrious playing career, with league winners medals from across Europe, European cups and highlights from world cups (not saying he will but you know what I mean) the youth set up and 1 senior season at Birmingham will get very little mention

He spent 45 mins on the pitch sat on his own after his last game there the other night. I think the club will mean a lot to him.

Since452
24-07-2020, 11:35 AM
He spent 45 Mina on the pitch sat on his own after his last game there the other night. I think the club will mean a lot to him.

Trying to recreate Ineasta after his last Barcelona appearance after almost 500 appearances and numerous medals. Bit cringey

MWHIBBIES
24-07-2020, 11:43 AM
Trying to recreate Ineasta after his last Barcelona appearance after almost 500 appearances and numerous medals. Bit cringey

You don't get to dictate how much the club means to him. Only he does that. From everything he has said and done the club is very important to him and has impacted his life a lot.

A club could mean as much to someone after 1 year as it does to someone else after 10.

Since452
24-07-2020, 11:45 AM
You don't get to dictate how much the club means to him. Only he does that. From everything he has said and done the club is very important to him and has impacted his life a lot.

A club could mean as much to someone after 1 year as it does to someone else after 10.

Who's saying I get to dictate? I'm just saying it's a bit cringey copying Iniesta

MWHIBBIES
24-07-2020, 11:47 AM
Who's saying I get to decide? I'm just saying it's a bit cringey copying Iniesta

But how do you know he is? It's his moment, no one else's.

Also, why is it cringey? Do you have to win 4 European cups with a club before you are allowed to feel something for them?

Since452
24-07-2020, 11:50 AM
But how do you know he is? It's his moment, no one else's.

Also, why is it cringey? Do you have to win 4 European cups with a club before you are allowed to feel something for them?

Because Iniesta did exactly the same thing lol. Of course not but you'd expect to play more than 44 games before you'd be sitting in the centre circle like some sort of club legend who's seen it all

Andy74
24-07-2020, 11:54 AM
Because Iniesta did exactly the same thing lol. Of course not but you'd expect to play more than 44 games before you'd be sitting in the centre circle like some sort of club legend

You can do the same thing that someone else has done without it being copying.

He’s a young guy to be making a big move abroad and I think he supports the team too so it would be understandable to have some time to take it in. It’s not as if there was anyone there to be putting it on for.

MWHIBBIES
24-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Because Iniesta did exactly the same thing lol. Of course not but you'd expect to play more than 44 games before you'd be sitting in the centre circle like some sort of club legend who's seen it all

Oh, okay, so no one else is ever allowed to do that? Andres has the trademark does he?

He has played more than 44 games, he has played hundreds of games for them since he was 7. They have brought him through, gave him his debut at 16, gave him the opportunity to shine and gave him a move that sets him up for life. He isn't at all claiming or acting like any kind of club legend, dunno why you think that.

Vault Boy
24-07-2020, 12:18 PM
None of this is a negative reflection on Jude himself. He's a talented and seemingly very decent young man, who's just earned the opportunity of a lifetime after his first full season at the club he loves. His reaction is sincere.

The decision to retire his number is just completely tone deaf. The fans are embarrassed by it and it's just an example of an executive team being completely out of touch with the fan base. One of those bizzare, but fairly entertaining oddities in the world of football.

neil7908
24-07-2020, 12:20 PM
He spent 45 mins on the pitch sat on his own after his last game there the other night. I think the club will mean a lot to him.

He's also 17 though. Everything about him suggests he's mature for his age but if Bale writes an autobiography I don't imagine Southampton will be featuring as much as Spurs, Madrid and Wales.

heretoday
24-07-2020, 04:33 PM
Good luck to him. He's a great prospect. And the Blues haven't had much to shout about in a long time.

tamig
24-07-2020, 05:14 PM
He's also 17 though. Everything about him suggests he's mature for his age but if Bale writes an autobiography I don't imagine Southampton will be featuring as much as Spurs, Madrid and Wales.

The young lad is a born and bred Blues fan. He will always be.