PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup Semi on 31st Oct/ 1st Nov

Hibs90
21-07-2020, 08:44 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53478993

Final on 20th December.

All cup tied players can play now too with 5 substitutes.

Clarence
21-07-2020, 08:54 AM
Because of the time of year, the semi final victory will remind me of the 1991 Skol Cup win and I can’t think of a better Christmas present than the Scottish Cup itself!

Tambo
21-07-2020, 08:56 AM
So definitely at hampden? You think non season ticket holders will get a ticket?

Since452
21-07-2020, 09:45 AM
So we'll have had about three months of competitive games against good sides whereas Hearts will have had three weeks against butchers, bakers and candlestick makers? 1-0 Hearts.

G B Young
21-07-2020, 10:02 AM
Cup final the same week as Christmas Day!? Just what families who have taken a financial hit during the pandemic need. Mind you I'm guessing games remain likely to be behind closed doors, or at least with very restricted attendances, until at least the end of the year so that would spare fans the cost of tickets/travel.

Peevemor
21-07-2020, 10:04 AM
Cup final the same week as Christmas Day!? Just what families who have taken a financial hit during the pandemic need. Mind you I'm guessing games remain likely to be behind closed doors, or at least with very restricted attendances, until at least the end of the year so that would spare fans the cost of tickets/travel.

Should they have ruled out all of December & January in that case?

timewilltell
21-07-2020, 10:10 AM

If you want to be spared the cost of tickets and travel. here's an idea. Just dont go.

Hibernian Verse
21-07-2020, 10:11 AM

Hope not, I want to be there. Pretty sure it'll be a great thing for families to do at that time of year. If you can't afford it then that's fine, don't go. Being able to feed your family is more important than a jaunt to Hampden for a day.

G B Young
21-07-2020, 10:14 AM
Should they have ruled out all of December & January in that case?

As I said on the other thread I think they should have ruled out finishing the competition full stop. Just my view tho.

Sean1875
21-07-2020, 10:16 AM
As I said on the other thread I think they should have ruled out finishing the competition full stop. Just my view tho.

My opinion too tbh but if it means we get a derby this season then im not complaining. You do wonder though if Celtic had been put out and there were 4 non-OF teams left in it, would they be finishing it?

JimBHibees
21-07-2020, 10:17 AM
Baring a second wave think full stadiums will be in place by then.

Would make more sense our game being at Murrayfield imo.

JimBHibees
21-07-2020, 10:18 AM
My opinion too tbh but if it means we get a derby this season then im not complaining. You do wonder though if Celtic had been put out and there were 4 non-OF teams left in it, would they be finishing it?

I think they would have one of the best sources of revenue for SFA.

Bristolhibby
21-07-2020, 10:24 AM
It’s 3 games involving 4 teams.

For two of those teams it will only be one game.

No brainier to finish these games, and barring another spike, hopefully see fans at least at the final.

J

Nakedmanoncrack
21-07-2020, 12:00 PM

Lets hope we lose the semi so that we dont have to endure such a hellish scenario.

jonny
21-07-2020, 12:07 PM
So definitely at hampden? You think non season ticket holders will get a ticket?

If supporters are allowed in I'd say yes but you'll probably be in a scramble.
It's normally 1 ticket per ST holder for cup finals, which as things stand would be around 10500. I'd expect a couple of thousand more when you include half ST's which will go on sale before the final. Maybe looking at around 8000 or so for general public sale (to those registered on the database).

tamig
21-07-2020, 03:09 PM

I’d have binned the thing anyway. Absolute farce imo.

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2020, 03:19 PM
I’d have binned the thing anyway. Absolute farce imo.

Me too, christmas is for kids anyway.

JOD
21-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Cannae understand a Hibee saying that.
Down to last 4 in the Holy grail with earning potential as well. Strange opinion to want the game cancelled. Very strange.

Pretty Boy
21-07-2020, 03:26 PM
Are people really having a go at someone for pointing out the dates are far from ideal from a financial perspective? Based on previous games of a similar stature a family of 4 could be looking at over £100 for tickets, factor in travel and other incidentals and it's not a cheap day out. December is always an expensive time from a football point of view anyway with so many games crammed in to a short space of time. A lot of people are going to be feeling the financial effects of the last few months for some time yet.

I'm not sure there is an alternative solution given all the considerations but 'just don't go then' and 'you'll be hoping we lose to save money' is piss poor patter.

Garibaldis
21-07-2020, 03:48 PM
If we win the cup, what happens to the Europa League spot? Has that already been given to someone?

davhibby
21-07-2020, 03:53 PM
Can’t believe there’s folk not wanting us to play in a semi final. We’ve got a good chance of making a final and whilst we’ve been to hampden regularly in recent times we could be years before we make another semi for all we know. The timing of the games isn’t ideal but they’ve been put there to give all 3 games the best chance of having fans in. It’s about the only good thing the SFA have done in years

Billy Whizz
21-07-2020, 03:57 PM
If we win the cup, what happens to the Europa League spot? Has that already been given to someone?

This years has. Was given to 3rd and 4th

ronaldo7
21-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Hope not, I want to be there. Pretty sure it'll be a great thing for families to do at that time of year. If you can't afford it then that's fine, don't go. Being able to feed your family is more important than a jaunt to Hampden for a day.

Panto season, and we won't have Craig Thomson playing the villain.

Hibernian Verse
21-07-2020, 04:00 PM
Panto season, and we won't have Craig Thomson playing the villain.Don't put that past the SFA.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Fergos
21-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Are people really having a go at someone for pointing out the dates are far from ideal from a financial perspective? Based on previous games of a similar stature a family of 4 could be looking at over £100 for tickets, factor in travel and other incidentals and it's not a cheap day out. December is always an expensive time from a football point of view anyway with so many games crammed in to a short space of time. A lot of people are going to be feeling the financial effects of the last few months for some time yet.

I'm not sure there is an alternative solution given all the considerations but 'just don't go then' and 'you'll be hoping we lose to save money' is piss poor patter.

Well said PB. People forget that for some Folk, the lead up to Christmas can be a total stress as they try to ensure families etc have a good time, which invariably costs money. If you can afford to go to both games, should we win the semi, brilliant, if not it doesn’t make you any less of a Hibee.

GGTTH

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2020, 04:03 PM
Well said PB. People forget that for some Folk, the lead up to Christmas can be a total stress as they try to ensure families etc have a good time, which invariably costs money. If you can afford to go to both games, should we win the semi, brilliant, if not it doesn’t make you any less of a Hibee.

GGTTH

I've certainly not seen anyone say that?

Andy74
21-07-2020, 04:06 PM

Indeed and for anyone worried about the precise scheduling then pretend it is played in the month of your choosing, save the money and bring it back out in December. Job done.

Fergos
21-07-2020, 04:12 PM

Fair to say that is the quite commonly held opinion / inference when these discussions happen.

GGTTH

Wilson
21-07-2020, 04:13 PM

Yeah but they didn't so let it go.

No hibs fan should be that nonchalant about a Scottish cup semi final. Just my view.

hibbysam
21-07-2020, 04:14 PM
Anyone who thinks it’s a ‘farce’ that these games are being played are at it. Instead of us getting a semi final derby, a potential day out (or two at hampden) a potential cup final, a potential cup win (remember we’ve won it once in over a century), and a big payday or two because of that, and replace it with none of the above, and instead of gaining money we would have to pay back money, mental.

Biggest game of the season (last season and this season) and folk want it chucked and concentrate on run of the mill league games 😂

Billy Whizz
21-07-2020, 04:21 PM
Anyone who thinks it’s a ‘farce’ that these games are being played are at it. Instead of us getting a semi final derby, a potential day out (or two at hampden) a potential cup final, a potential cup win (remember we’ve won it once in over a century), and a big payday or two because of that, and replace it with none of the above, and instead of gaining money we would have to pay back money, mental.

Biggest game of the season (last season and this season) and folk want it chucked and concentrate on run of the mill league games 😂

Exactly how I feel. Some folk do like a moan. If you can’t afford to go due to financial reasons, that’s completely understandable, but don’t ruin everyone else dreams of going to Hampden

Next season is going to be very expensive, so fans will have to pick and choose their cup and away games

ronaldo7
21-07-2020, 04:23 PM

Bang on. :aok::flag:

Wee Pippa can wait for her pony.

Green_one
21-07-2020, 04:55 PM
Bang on. :aok::flag:

Wee Pippa can wait for her pony.

So we get one, probably two big football days out?

We get a good chance to stick it to the least popular team in Scotland (guess who)

Hibs get a wad of much needed cash

We might even get a major trophy and another mad night in Leith Walk

Erm ....... yes please. Did not really need to think hard about it. :cb

If someone is going to try to spoil that for me they are going to have to do a lot better than ‘wrong time of year’ or ‘l think it should not happen’. By all means miss it or do something else.

Billy Whizz
21-07-2020, 05:08 PM
So going to be a stack of games from October to end of the year
October
4 League games, although 1 will have to be moved due to the semi (St Johnstone home)
1 Scottish Cup semi Final
Up to 3 Betfred Cup ties

November
2 League games
Up to 3 Betfred Cups games

December
6 Games, although 1 will have to be moved if we reach Scottish Cup final (Dundee Utd home)
1 x Cup final hopefully

hibbysam
21-07-2020, 05:09 PM
Exactly how I feel. Some folk do like a moan. If you can’t afford to go due to financial reasons, that’s completely understandable, but don’t ruin everyone else dreams of going to Hampden

Next season is going to be very expensive, so fans will have to pick and choose their cup and away games

Exactly. If folk have legitimate reasons not to attend, who am I to tell them otherwise. But if crowds are allowed then I’ll be sure to be in the queue for a ticket. The day I want a Scottish cup semi final against hearts voided is the day I give up with it all.

G B Young
21-07-2020, 05:12 PM

I don't agree that expressing an opinion that doesn't tally with the majority is 'moaning' or 'ruining everyone else's dreams'. It's only an opinion.

The reasons I don't think the games should have been rescheduled have nothing to do with a lack of loyalty to Hibs. I just feel that reviving these games when a line was drawn under last season's league campaign feels odd and that by the time they're played they will no longer even seem part of the same competition.

On a practical level, it also strikes me as foolhardy to schedule these sort of fixtures at a time of year when the scientific view appears to be that we'll be most likely to be fighting off a second wave of Covid-19 infections.

Thirdly, as I said earlier, for many fans with families a Christmas cup final will not be seen as a great opportunity for a festive day out but as an additional, stressful and quite likely impossible expense. Personally speaking, if Hibs were to reach the final and crowds are allowed to attend I already know that our family budget wouldn't stretch to buying four tickets at that time of year.

Anyway, just my view. I hope Hibs win both games and that any fans able to attend have a great time. Just don't tell me I was right all along if we get beat by Hearts :wink:

ronaldo7
21-07-2020, 05:13 PM
So going to be a stack of games from October to end of the year
October
4 League games, although 1 will have to be moved due to the semi (St Johnstone home)
1 Scottish Cup semi Final
Up to 3 Betfred Cup ties

November
2 League games
Up to 3 Betfred Cups games

December
6 Games, although 1 will have to be moved if we reach Scottish Cup final (Dundee Utd home)
1 x Cup final hopefully

All that money you've piled up in the back bedroom will come in handy then. :aok:

Hibs4185
21-07-2020, 05:15 PM
Never have a better chance to pump them 4 or 5-0 at Hampden.....

1-0 hearts via a scrappy goal guaranteed.

tamig
21-07-2020, 05:19 PM
Cannae understand a Hibee saying that.
Down to last 4 in the Holy grail with earning potential as well. Strange opinion to want the game cancelled. Very strange.

Earning potential from what though? The bulk of the cash comes from attendances and who knows how many are likely to attend the games.

tamig
21-07-2020, 05:24 PM
Can’t believe there’s folk not wanting us to play in a semi final. We’ve got a good chance of making a final and whilst we’ve been to hampden regularly in recent times we could be years before we make another semi for all we know. The timing of the games isn’t ideal but they’ve been put there to give all 3 games the best chance of having fans in. It’s about the only good thing the SFA have done in years
My main reason for not wanting it is it’s the 19/20 Scottish Cup. And the fact that some teams could be totally different in personnel from the lineups that made it to the semi adds to the farce element. If the 19/20 season couldn’t be completed then the Cup should have gone with it. All imo.

Springbank
21-07-2020, 05:24 PM
I cannot wait for this game

hibbysam
21-07-2020, 05:29 PM
Earning potential from what though? The bulk of the cash comes from attendances and who knows how many are likely to attend the games.

Prize money for starters, not having to pay back the tv money from our games that have been on tele. Any potential crowds that may get in. Even more money if we reach the final.

PatHead
21-07-2020, 05:29 PM
Is it definitely at Hampden or might the government want it played at Murrayfield to avoid crowds on trains buses etc?

tamig
21-07-2020, 05:38 PM
Prize money for starters, not having to pay back the tv money from our games that have been on tele. Any potential crowds that may get in. Even more money if we reach the final.

I have to say I know absolutely nothing about the agreements in place with the TV companies for the Cup if it’s voided. And there’s still a huge question mark around crowds.

ShottsBranch
21-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Is it definitely at Hampden or might the government want it played at Murrayfield to avoid crowds on trains buses etc?

We must wait and see, however this branch is in an ideal location for both as long as the 8 mile rule doesn't return and Lanarkshire doesn't end up in lockdown!

Carheenlea
21-07-2020, 08:20 PM
I`m feeling quite optimistic now about getting back to Easter Road this year. Before deciding on these dates the SFA must have got the nod from Scottish Government that there is a very high chance that stadiums will be returned to full capacity by November.

hibbysam
22-07-2020, 07:14 AM
I have to say I know absolutely nothing about the agreements in place with the TV companies for the Cup if it’s voided. And there’s still a huge question mark around crowds.

I’d say it’s extremely naive to think that the TV companies will be happy losing the three biggest games of the competition and not asking for money back. Question mark or not, there is a chance crowds will be there.

The SFA have already lost the play off game, the Euros, multiple nations league games, they can’t afford to also lose the Scottish cup semis and finals when they can be played quite easily. The clubs can barely afford it either.

Diclonius
22-07-2020, 08:01 AM

That's a good point. It may well end up being at Murrayfield.

Phil MaGlass
22-07-2020, 08:37 AM
No idea why folk think we will be baxk at football soon, its ridixoulas that masks arent being used on the street but only in shops and trabsport. Just back from Spain a while ago and they are now mandatory. Areas of Spain are now in lockdown again, Spain take this seriously instant 100 quid fines if tou are caught not wearingone, tou have to wash your hands before going into restaurants and supermarkets. If you wantto go to the toilet in a rest you must wear a mask to walk through.
The way the Brits ate foing its just a matter of time before theres anither major lockdown. Social distancing is almost a myth.Thank god Scotland are getting it right to an extent. No way full stadiums are coming soon.
Excuse spelling, using phone withoot ma glasses

Wilson
22-07-2020, 08:41 AM
I don't agree that expressing an opinion that doesn't tally with the majority is 'moaning' or 'ruining everyone else's dreams'. It's only an opinion.

The reasons I don't think the games should have been rescheduled have nothing to do with a lack of loyalty to Hibs. I just feel that reviving these games when a line was drawn under last season's league campaign feels odd and that by the time they're played they will no longer even seem part of the same competition.

On a practical level, it also strikes me as foolhardy to schedule these sort of fixtures at a time of year when the scientific view appears to be that we'll be most likely to be fighting off a second wave of Covid-19 infections.

Thirdly, as I said earlier, for many fans with families a Christmas cup final will not be seen as a great opportunity for a festive day out but as an additional, stressful and quite likely impossible expense. Personally speaking, if Hibs were to reach the final and crowds are allowed to attend I already know that our family budget wouldn't stretch to buying four tickets at that time of year.

Anyway, just my view. I hope Hibs win both games and that any fans able to attend have a great time. Just don't tell me I was right all along if we get beat by Hearts :wink:

They didn't void the league campaign to draw a line under it. They declared a winner. They relegated some outfit. The placing were all finalised and prize money paid.

What you want effectively is for them to void the Scottish cup when we're in the semi finals which is silly. It's Xmas and you can't afford it? Don't go. There might be a second wave of infection in December? That applies to every single event and business it is not specific to the Scottish cup. Hope for the best and all that.

Let's get into these hearts *******s!

bod
22-07-2020, 08:46 AM
Take it we’re the Saturday ? & have the Kick off times confirmed yet ?

.Sean.
22-07-2020, 08:47 AM
From an entirely selfish point of view, I’m hoping fans aren’t allowed back into stadiums in November as I’m double booked that weekend, missus has booked me a long weekend away for my bday somewhere in Europe as part of my bday :rolleyes: (surprise location, hope it’s Glasgow :greengrin)

We’ll pump them regardless

tamig
22-07-2020, 08:53 AM
I’d say it’s extremely naive to think that the TV companies will be happy losing the three biggest games of the competition and not asking for money back. Question mark or not, there is a chance crowds will be there.

The SFA have already lost the play off game, the Euros, multiple nations league games, they can’t afford to also lose the Scottish cup semis and finals when they can be played quite easily. The clubs can barely afford it either.

Ok no worries. I still think the competition is now devalued with it carrying over into next season and would have been happy to see it cancelled. Any financial penalties excepted naturally. And again - thats just my own view.

jgl07
22-07-2020, 04:55 PM

It seems like needless whining to me. "It's not convenient for me so don't play it" is coming over loud and clear.

When are the matches supposed to be played? The SFA will obviously prefer the matches not to be behind closed doors so it has been put as late as possible. It is clearly farcical to have the 2020 Scottish Cup Final to be played in 2021.

Pagan Hibernia
22-07-2020, 06:07 PM
My arse is starting to go already in anticipation of this semi final...

hope the players have more bottle than me :greengrin

davhibby
22-07-2020, 06:38 PM
My main reason for not wanting it is it’s the 19/20 Scottish Cup. And the fact that some teams could be totally different in personnel from the lineups that made it to the semi adds to the farce element. If the 19/20 season couldn’t be completed then the Cup should have gone with it. All imo.

France didn’t finish the league but are finishing the cup. Nobody wanted to finish the league early but we didn’t have a choice. Playing 3 games at hampden isn’t very hard to fit in. The day I want a cup scrapped when we’re in the semis is when I pack it in