PDA

View Full Version : The strange tale of Gareth Bale

Mibbes Aye
21-07-2020, 01:11 AM
Fascinating article about the position Gareth Bale is in.

He doesnt have that many years in front of him now and must surely want to be playing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53474094

Garibaldis
21-07-2020, 01:21 AM
I am surprised Zidane doesn't want to play him, because he is a world class player. But when you are sitting there on £600,000 a week settled in Spain with your family at 31 years old after winning some of the biggest prizes in the game he probably doesn't mind so much.

Would like to see him play more though, because he is a joy to watch.

Haymaker
21-07-2020, 01:25 AM
I am surprised Zidane doesn't want to play him, because he is a world class player. But when you are sitting there on £600,000 a week settled in Spain with your family at 31 years old after winning some of the biggest prizes in the game he probably doesn't mind so much.

Would like to see him play more though, because he is a joy to watch.

Him and Zidane don't get on. Very well known.

Since452
21-07-2020, 05:31 AM
Kicking a ball about in the sun for a few hours a day without the pressure of a match day while winning the lottery every week. Must be tough.

jakedance
21-07-2020, 05:51 AM
I don’t think he’s all that bothered. He might just see out his contract and retire. It’s pretty funny how much he’s winding up Madrid fans, who are not sympathetic, but we’d be raging if one of our players had his attitude. I can’t take to Gareth Bale, great talent but just seems to be a bit of a fanny.

Keith_M
21-07-2020, 07:35 AM
Jeez, getting his wage for one month would have most of us sorted for life.

My heart bleeds for him.

hibsbollah
21-07-2020, 08:14 AM
It seems like he’s decided to drain Real of cash out of spite.
How much money is ‘enough’, anyway? He must have gone past the point where he’s buying flash cars, where he can now buy desert islands and super yachts. At what point do you say, ‘Nah, I’ll start playing for 15 million a year instead of 50 million a year? With the added incentive that I’m playing for titles and championships again?

Bristolhibby
21-07-2020, 08:16 AM
How much money is ‘enough’, anyway? He must have gone past the point where he’s buying flash cars, where he can now buy desert islands and super yachts. At what point do you say, ‘Nah, I’ll start playing for 15 million a year instead of 50 million a year? With the added incentive that I’m playing for titles and championships again?

Does he get a winners medal at Real this season?

He’s clearly not bothered, stick on for Wales every game, and pulling in a hefty salary.

J

calumhibee1
21-07-2020, 08:19 AM
He seems to be more interested in golf than football. With that in mind, I don’t blame him.

Gets paid £600k a week to play golf in the sun. Leaves Madrid and he’ll be going to Manchester or somewhere similar to earn a lot less but also play golf in the wind and rain for half the year.

superfurryhibby
21-07-2020, 08:38 AM

Real Madrid are reaping what they sowed with Bale. No sympathy for them, whatsoever. They have played a big part in turning football and wages into the farce that it has become. No one held a gun to their heads and made them pay preposterous money.

Bale has delivered for them spectacularly, I doubt very much he cares about titles and champions leagues, having been there and done it. He's no doubt been playing football all his life, by 31 he's more than likely thinking he's achieved all he can. Football at this level is a nasty, cynical world, with no resemblance to the game we know. Players can do as they please when they are as good as Bale and have been given the contracts they've been given. Payback.

neil7908
21-07-2020, 08:46 AM
Does he get a winners medal at Real this season?

He’s clearly not bothered, stick on for Wales every game, and pulling in a hefty salary.

J

It's the Wales thing that gets me. I have no sympathy for Real Madrid but Bale is keen to profess his love for Wales. But there is no chance he'll continue to be match fit for them if he is only playing a handful of games. But he'll get away with it because he's there best player. Disrespectful imo.

This is a guy who was happy to move his family to China a few months ago and now we get the line that he's content in Madrid.

He's been a great player at times but for me won't go down as a true great as he just doesn't want to play football. Rubbish message for young people kids trying to break into the game who look up to guys like him.

Bristolhibby
21-07-2020, 08:49 AM
Exactly, he’s won 2 La Ligas, Champions League 4 times, one Copa Del Rey. He got Wales to the Semi Finals of Euro 2016 and Wales have qualified for Euro 2021.

The fact that he walks into The Wales Team is a credit to him, Wales clearly get the best out of him.

J

magnificent_seven
21-07-2020, 08:58 AM
I think he has been treated poorly by Zidane. He has been publicly slaughtered by Zidane on more than once occasion which in turn has caused the fans to get on his back. No matter who you are, this will affect the way you feel about the club in a negative way.

I was Real Madrid - Granada back in October last year. Bale was unplayable. They couldn’t get near him. Granada were top of the table at the time and Madrid were only a few points behind. Madrid went 3-0 up with Bale instrumental. Granada then scored two quick fire goals in the second half to make it 3-2, one of which was a huge goalkeeping error. The Madrid fans then start booing the team and booing Bale every time he touches the ball. This isn’t even exaggerated, their fans have got to be one of the worst in the world. Still 3-2 up but booing their own manager, team and Bale.

So I’m not surprised he is hacked off. This is one incident. If I was treated like that by the clubs management and fans then I would be fannying about on the golf course too.

Peevemor
21-07-2020, 09:03 AM
It's the Wales thing that gets me. I have no sympathy for Real Madrid but Bale is keen to profess his love for Wales. But there is no chance he'll continue to be match fit for them if he is only playing a handful of games. But he'll get away with it because he's there best player. Disrespectful imo.

This is a guy who was happy to move his family to China a few months ago and now we get the line that he's content in Madrid.

He's been a great player at times but for me won't go down as a true great as he just doesn't want to play football. Rubbish message for young people kids trying to break into the game who look up to guys like him.

He wants to play but Zidane is reluctant to play him. How is that disrespectful? The quotes in the article aren't from Bale but from his agent. There's a huge dfference.

Exactly, he’s won 2 La Ligas, Champions League 4 times, one Copa Del Rey. He got Wales to the Semi Finals of Euro 2016 and Wales have qualified for Euro 2021.

J

For what it's worth I've spoken to a couple of folk who worked at the hotel where the Welsh team were based for Euro 2016 (10 minutes from my house) and they said that Bale was 100% brand new. In fact they said that the whole squad/party were great, but they paid more attention to Bale because of his superstar status.

Northernhibee
21-07-2020, 09:04 AM
This is a guy who was happy to move his family to China a few months ago and now we get the line that he's content in Madrid..

That is 100% Madrid changing their mind and 100% their fault. Bale is perfectly entitled to say “well if you want to change your mind last minute and have me stay, I’d be glad to”.

Frazerbob
21-07-2020, 09:11 AM
I don’t think he’s all that bothered. He might just see out his contract and retire. It’s pretty funny how much he’s winding up Madrid fans, who are not sympathetic, but we’d be raging if one of our players had his attitude. I can’t take to Gareth Bale, great talent but just seems to be a bit of a fanny.

I was at a Real game in February and Bale started. I was surprised to hear him get a great reception from their fans.

I’m no fan of Bale. In fact, after his performances against Scotland, I think he’s a cheating prick. However Real Madrid have treated him terribly and I’m glad he’s milking them for millions.

Anthony Soprano
21-07-2020, 09:15 AM

Real Madrid fans are absolute w*nks in fairness, disgusting how they treat their own players.

I've seen videos of them waiting outside the players entrance after a defeat so they can vandalise the players cars as they leave the stadium. Fair play to Gareth Bale, it's a short career and he's entitled to see out his contract and make his money.

Just_Jimmy
21-07-2020, 09:25 AM
It's agent bluster so when man utd or such like say we'll take him off your hands to Madrid, the agent can say he's happy to stay so pay him like you want him to come.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

neil7908
21-07-2020, 09:43 AM
He wants to play but Zidane is reluctant to play him. How is that disrespectful? The quotes in the article aren't from Bale but from his agent. There's a huge dfference.

For what it's worth I've spoken to a couple of folk who worked at the hotel where the Welsh team were based for Euro 2016 (10 minutes from my house) and they said that Bale was 100% brand new. In fact they said that the whole squad/party were great, but they paid more attention to Bale because of his superstar status.

There is no way an agent says anything without the client being aware. 0 chance the agent has said stuff without Bale being aware and approving.

If Bale was say Brazilian and acting the way he is now at a club in the UK he would be getting slaughtered by the media.

neil7908
21-07-2020, 09:48 AM
That is 100% Madrid changing their mind and 100% their fault. Bale is perfectly entitled to say “well if you want to change your mind last minute and have me stay, I’d be glad to”.

Of course he's entitled to it, Real signed the contract. But he clearly isn't settled in Madrid as he was happy to plan a move to the other side of the world a few months ago.

Everything he's doing is within his rights but I think his attitude is really poor and if one of Hibs players acted like him our fans would be absolutely raging. Madrid are not a club I have sympathy for but like I said, if the guy really wants to play for Wales and be at his best to help his country he should be playing football every week.

Peevemor
21-07-2020, 09:49 AM
There is no way an agent says anything without the client being aware. 0 chance the agent has said stuff without Bale being aware and approving.

As someone else said, the agent will say what it takes to get the best (paying) move possible for Bale, while at the same time Bale hasn't said anything so he can dismiss it as agent talk if need be.

If Bale was say Brazilian and acting the way he is now at a club in the UK he would be getting slaughtered by the media.

How's he acting (apart from not hiding hus unhappiness at not playing)? He seems to attend training without causing disruption and, when asked to play, plays well. What's he done wrong?

For what it's worth, I find the amount of money in modern football disgusting - but I don't blame individual players for taking it.

ancient hibee
21-07-2020, 09:55 AM
Of course he's entitled to it, Real signed the contract. But he clearly isn't settled in Madrid as he was happy to plan a move to the other side of the world a few months ago.

Everything he's doing is within his rights but I think his attitude is really poor and if one of Hibs players acted like him our fans would be absolutely raging. Madrid are not a club I have sympathy for but like I said, if the guy really wants to play for Wales and be at his best to help his country he should be playing football every week.

Personally I would be absolutely raging at the manager refusing to play a great player who would willingly play.

neil7908
21-07-2020, 10:04 AM
As someone else said, the agent will say what it takes to get the best (paying) move possible for Bale, while at the same time Bale hasn't said anything so he can dismiss it as agent talk if need be.

How's he acting (apart from not hiding hus unhappiness at not playing)? He seems to attend training without causing disruption and, when asked to play, plays well. What's he done wrong?

For what it's worth, I find the amount of money in modern football disgusting - but I don't blame individual players for taking it.

Well his agent, who he still employs, called Zidane a disgrace in public, he held up a flag saying Wales. Golf. Madrid. In that order.

I think we'll just need to agree to disagree on this one. He's very rich and has a massively haul of trophies but will end up spending the last few years of his career sitting in the stands so he can make £35m rather than £20m somewhere else. Of course that's his right but not what being a footballer is about for me.

Bristolhibby
21-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Well his agent, who he still employs, called Zidane a disgrace in public, he held up a flag saying Wales. Golf. Madrid. In that order.

I think we'll just need to agree to disagree on this one. He's very rich and has a massively haul of trophies but will end up spending the last few years of his career sitting in the stands so he can make £35m rather than £20m somewhere else. Of course that's his right but not what being a footballer is about for me.

TBF if I was 33 and someone said you can earn £35m or £20m in the next 2 years, I know what I’d be doing.

Extra £15m for my family for the rest of our lives is not to be sniffed at.

J

calumhibee1
21-07-2020, 10:27 AM
TBF if I was 33 and someone said you can earn £35m or £20m in the next 2 years, I know what I’d be doing.

Extra £15m for my family for the rest of our lives is not to be sniffed at.

J

Yup.

I think people forget how much money it is he’d have to give up. Whether he earns a fortune or not, £15m a year is still £15m a year.

neil7908
21-07-2020, 10:37 AM
Yup.

I think people forget how much money it is he’d have to give up. Whether he earns a fortune or not, £15m a year is still £15m a year.

But there is always context. A quick Google shows his net worth around £100m. So whilst £15m is still a lot, what is he going to do with it that he can't do with £100m? Does it really make a difference having £120m or £135m?

He's already assured his families security for generations to come.

hibbycraig
21-07-2020, 10:40 AM
I would do the same tbh. Madrid or Manchester? I know where I'd rather be!

hibbysam
21-07-2020, 10:47 AM

Slightly pedantic, however it was his team mates that held up the banner in front of Bale who had a fairly sheepish laugh at it.

Not sure what folk want him to do. Real never sold him, so he’s entitled to train, not get picked and then pick up his wages at the end of the week. At 21/22/23 trying to make your way in the game then absolutely push for a game elsewhere. As a 33 year old nearing retirement then he’s entitled to sit on his arse picking up a huge wage, continue putting in performances for Wales, and enjoying his life. He also knows when the time comes another huge club will take him on.

Northernhibee
21-07-2020, 11:09 AM

The key difference here is that it was not him who stopped him from moving to the other side of the world, it's the club when their manager had said in the press that it would be best for both parties if Bale was to leave the following day. Then, in the following months, they failed to utilise him.

If Bale wants to be spiteful and take them for millions then it's his perogative. Fair play to him.

Squealing pig
21-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Good on him , he’s deserves the 35 mil a year , what a player ! Just a shame we don’t see it anymore

Keith_M
21-07-2020, 12:32 PM
Yup.

He'd hardly be struggling to support his family with that drop in income.

The guy could retire right now and they would never want for anything for the rest of their lives.

jacomo
21-07-2020, 09:14 PM

I dislike Real Madrid and find the situation amusing.

The_Exile
21-07-2020, 10:59 PM
Boy’s an absolute hero.

The 90+2
21-07-2020, 11:09 PM
Boy’s an absolute hero.

This. **** Madrid. It’s Zidanes issue. A very costly issue.

Haymaker
22-07-2020, 12:30 AM
This. **** Madrid. It’s Zidanes issue. A very costly issue.

Yep, pretty much. He and those above him have mishandled the situation so badly.

green day
22-07-2020, 07:18 AM
I am slightly unclear why people are having a pop at Bale.

They dont want him to continue to play for them - thats fine, all they have to do is pay him off within the terms of his contract and let him go.

It seems to me that they want rid, but only on their terms. They forget that this isnt the 1970s, where clubs routinely treated players disgracefully.

While players at his level usually have more clout and earn more money than in our league, the principle regarding the legality of the contract is identical.

Madrid signed it, Bale signed it - and Bale is not in breach.

jakedance
22-07-2020, 07:57 AM
I dislike Real Madrid and find the situation amusing.

Spot on. They’re made for each other.

Pretty Boy
22-07-2020, 08:25 AM
Madrid and Zidane in particular have treated him poorly. He's hitting back in one of the ways open to him.

That's about it. It happens in loads of workplaces, it's just high profile because it's a footballer.

hibsbollah
22-07-2020, 10:11 AM
Madrid and Zidane in particular have treated him poorly. He's hitting back in one of the ways open to him.

That's about it. It happens in loads of workplaces, it's just high profile because it's a footballer.

It’s different because of the astronomical wages on offer to the very top of the profession though. If what’s driving you as an individual to earn as much as possible with every contract, then go ahead. But it’s not just Bale; Alexis Sanchez (who is on loan at Inter and who ordinarily would benefit from getting out of his massive contract with Utd) and De Gea are both in positions where no other team will want to pay their wages for the next x amount of years. That’s the fault of the clubs involved, yes, but it’s also affecting the players professional development.

The 90+2
22-07-2020, 10:41 AM
It’s different because of the astronomical wages on offer to the very top of the profession though. If what’s driving you as an individual to earn as much as possible with every contract, then go ahead. But it’s not just Bale; Alexis Sanchez (who is on loan at Inter and who ordinarily would benefit from getting out of his massive contract with Utd) and De Gea are both in positions where no other team will want to pay their wages for the next x amount of years. That’s the fault of the clubs involved, yes, but it’s also affecting the players professional development.

With Bale they had a club going to cover his wages, he agreed to go but Madrid, despite telling ZZ they where flogging Bale (Zidane didn’t want him around and it was agreed when he came back as manager) changed things last min and wanted £50m for him too. Chinese team told them to bolt and Bale sits about in Spain playing Golf while turning into superman for Wales.

hibsbollah
22-07-2020, 12:50 PM
With Bale they had a club going to cover his wages, he agreed to go but Madrid, despite telling ZZ they where flogging Bale (Zidane didn’t want him around and it was agreed when he came back as manager) changed things last min and wanted £50m for him too. Chinese team told them to bolt and Bale sits about in Spain playing Golf while turning into superman for Wales.

The sequence of events re his sale to China is well known. It doesn’t change the position he finds himself in now.

nellio
22-07-2020, 12:59 PM
Wales. Golf. Madrid.

In that order.

The 90+2
22-07-2020, 01:06 PM
The sequence of events re his sale to China is well known. It doesn’t change the position he finds himself in now.

It does completely. He would have played the whole (as much as he could) season in China and isn’t kicking about not interested because he’s making money.

jacomo
22-07-2020, 06:03 PM

De Gea should be entering his prime but how much more can Sanchez or Bale develop? They worked hard, got lucky and landed huge contracts. Capitalism in action.

It might just make the big clubs stop and think about where this is all heading, which would be nice.

hibsbollah
22-07-2020, 06:10 PM
De Gea should be entering his prime but how much more can Sanchez or Bale develop? They worked hard, got lucky and landed huge contracts. Capitalism in action.

It might just make the big clubs stop and think about where this is all heading, which would be nice.

I agree, but I just find it more interesting to look at individual motivation. The best are driven by an innate desire to be the best. Of course Bale and Sanchez have ‘the right’ to sit on their wealth.

jacomo
22-07-2020, 06:17 PM
I agree, but I just find it more interesting to look at individual motivation. The best are driven by an innate desire to be the best. Of course Bale and Sanchez have ‘the right’ to sit on their wealth.

I don’t disagree. Ultimately us fans are paying for all this and it’s disappointing when players like Bale aren’t even playing due to a contract situation. But Real Madrid are to blame here imo.

Eyrie
22-07-2020, 06:37 PM
Bale isn't doing anything new.

Mo Johnston did the same when Hearts wanted rid of him. Sat tight and kept collecting the big pay cheques.

calumhibee1
22-07-2020, 06:42 PM
But there is always context. A quick Google shows his net worth around £100m. So whilst £15m is still a lot, what is he going to do with it that he can't do with £100m? Does it really make a difference having £120m or £135m?

He's already assured his families security for generations to come.

Of course. I just think it’s easier for folk (myself included) to make the decision to earn £15m less a year to ensure you get a game of football when it isn’t actually our money :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
22-07-2020, 07:07 PM
Dunno why the golf thing is so often mentioned. It is after his work, in his own free time. Its not like he is missing training or matches. He is doing everything that is asked of him.

hibsbollah
22-07-2020, 07:19 PM
It’s also fair to point out that Real have just won the league after a poor start, look tremendous with Zidanes chosen shape and still have a shot in the Champions League, so Zizou hasn’t got it all wrong...

basehibby
23-07-2020, 12:39 PM
Good on him , he’s deserves the 35 mil a year , what a player ! Just a shame we don’t see it anymore

I don't believe ANYONE on this earth deserves 35 mil a year.

That said - Real Madrid are the Spanish equivalent of the huns - constantly spend more than they can afford - ridiculously over-entitled glory hunting fans ... so am quite happy to see Bale draining them for all their worth - hope he bankrupts them!