PDA

View Full Version : Betfred Cup Dates

Bishop Hibee
20-07-2020, 09:57 AM
https://spfl.co.uk/news/betfred-cup-dates-confirmed

Diclonius
20-07-2020, 10:04 AM
The non-Premiership clubs are going to get torn apart in the group stage with that schedule.

Hibernian Verse
20-07-2020, 10:11 AM
With as tight a schedule as we had already surely straight knockout would've been more sensible.

nonshinyfinish
20-07-2020, 10:14 AM
With as tight a schedule as we had already surely straight knockout would've been more sensible.

That's what I expected, but it will have been balanced against the group stage presumably being a bit of a money-spinner for lower league clubs. Although how that works when we don't know what kind of attendances will be possible… no idea.

Hibernian Verse
20-07-2020, 10:15 AM
That's what I expected, but it will have been balanced against the group stage presumably being a bit of a money-spinner for lower league clubs.Very true. They will need every penny they can get. I guess after months of no football it'll be nice to have a game to look forward to every few days.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

hibbysam
20-07-2020, 10:22 AM
That's what I expected, but it will have been balanced against the group stage presumably being a bit of a money-spinner for lower league clubs. Although how that works when we don't know what kind of attendances will be possible… no idea.

It will be more to do with the TV deal than the lower league clubs id think. Just a guess but think it’s probably too late to change the format of the competition.

nonshinyfinish
20-07-2020, 10:26 AM
It will be more to do with the TV deal than the lower league clubs id think. Just a guess but think it’s probably too late to change the format of the competition.

True, I'd forgotten there was a specific TV deal for this.

davhibby
20-07-2020, 11:24 AM
The non-Premiership clubs are going to get torn apart in the group stage with that schedule.

We could be missing various players on international duty for all of the games

Billy Whizz
20-07-2020, 11:27 AM

Absolutely, but you’d hope we’d have enough to win our group. Remember the lower league teams won’t even have played a competitive match by then

HendoDelivered
20-07-2020, 11:46 AM
SPFL with another brilliant leadership decision today........ let’s play Betfred games during international breaks, ‘oh your best players are away with their country, oops’

davhibby
20-07-2020, 11:46 AM
Absolutely, but you’d hope we’d have enough to win our group. Remember the lower league teams won’t even have played a competitive match by then

We could get Dundee United in our group but even at that you’d like to think we’d still be able to qualify. Just pointing out that it might not be quite as straightforward as some are suggesting

B.H.F.C
20-07-2020, 11:54 AM
SPFL with another brilliant leadership decision today........ let’s play Betfred games during international breaks, ‘oh your best players are away with their country, oops’

Can’t see it being too much of an issue for anybody really. Not one to stick up for the SPFL but not sure when else they would have fitted the games in.

Would have thought it would have just been more sensible to scrap the group phase though. The lower league teams, like Hearts, could have used the first couple of rounds to get some games in before their leagues start.

Bristolhibby
20-07-2020, 11:54 AM

Who would we be missing?

Rocky, Porto, Boyler, Gogić (Cyprus?)

J

Northernhibee
20-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Who would we be missing?

Rocky, Porto, Boyler, Gogić (Cyprus?)

J

Possibly Doidge

LancsHibs
20-07-2020, 12:18 PM
Pointless cup competition on its last legs, reform it or scrap it. Though watching Hertz annual failure brings a small amount of enjoyment. Should be combined with the English League Cup (another competition that’s lost it’s mojo)

Baldy Foghorn
20-07-2020, 12:31 PM
A little surprised group stages are back.

Doncaster already on record saying we had 34 weeks available for 33 games, so call offs would cause a backlog.

These groups add to the strain for some clubs, with the winter break being cancelled, I hope we have a mild winter.

matty_f
20-07-2020, 12:37 PM
A little surprised group stages are back.

Doncaster already on record saying we had 34 weeks available for 33 games, so call offs would cause a backlog.

These groups add to the strain for some clubs, with the winter break being cancelled, I hope we have a mild winter.

I think these games were included in that with available fixture dates

Diclonius
20-07-2020, 12:39 PM
Pointless cup competition on its last legs, reform it or scrap it. Though watching Hertz annual failure brings a small amount of enjoyment. Should be combined with the English League Cup (another competition that’s lost it’s mojo)

Scrap one of the two trophies we have a realistic chance of winning? Really?

hibbyfraelibby
20-07-2020, 12:42 PM

Internationals are not the bread and butter of the leagues. If its the Israel game its not going to happen anyway

nonshinyfinish
20-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Scrap one of the two trophies we have a realistic chance of winning? Really?

I for one hated every minute of the pointless 2007 final of this pointless cup, including our five pointless goals, Lewis Stevenson's pointless MOTM performance and a spine-tinglingly pointless rendition of Sunshine on Leith.

AFKA5814_Hibs
20-07-2020, 12:50 PM
We could get Dundee United in our group but even at that you’d like to think we’d still be able to qualify. Just pointing out that it might not be quite as straightforward as some are suggesting

And Hertz will be a seeded team so we can't get them in the group stage.

HendoDelivered
20-07-2020, 12:57 PM
The old set up was better, the one we should of won a few years ago against County. SJM’s winner at a rainy/snowy PBS vs Saints in the semi’s was a great memory!

Baldy Foghorn
20-07-2020, 01:11 PM
I think these games were included in that with available fixture dates

Ah, I didn't realise that Matty.

Billy Whizz
20-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Hope these are reasonably priced group games

Hibernian Verse
20-07-2020, 01:15 PM
Hope these are reasonably priced group games

They will be £20/£10 I'd imagine, which I think is reasonable - if we are allowed back in by then.

Billy Whizz
20-07-2020, 03:53 PM
They will be £20/£10 I'd imagine, which I think is reasonable - if we are allowed back in by then.

Last seasons prices
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10117

Hibernian Verse
20-07-2020, 03:54 PM
Last seasons prices
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/10117If they're that ill be chuffed but we have a shortfall to make up as best we can so I think they might be a bit more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
20-07-2020, 04:06 PM
The Right Said Fred Cup. It's not too sexy, wake me up when we reach the Quarters.

jgl07
20-07-2020, 05:44 PM

If Hibs (or any decent PL team) can't qualify from a Group compring lower league opposition without one or two players, they deserve to be eliminated.

There have been some really rubbish comments on this thread, and that one is up there with them.

These included suggestions that the League Cup should be scrapped. That would remove the only competition that Hibs have won in the best part of seventy years apart from 2016!

Other suggestions involve letting it evolve into a reincarnation of the Anglo Scottish Cup.

Alfred E Newman
20-07-2020, 07:22 PM

That's a good idea, scrap the tournament we've had most success in in the last 50 years.

hibbysam
21-07-2020, 10:53 AM
The old set up was better, the one we should of won a few years ago against County. SJM’s winner at a rainy/snowy PBS vs Saints in the semi’s was a great memory!

I thought it was the same setup then as it is now, when did it change to the groups? I quite like them. Maybe not so much this season as it is mid season for us, but in previous seasons having competitive ‘pre season’ games is far better than friendlies.

hibeejeebies
21-07-2020, 05:29 PM
Any idea when the draw is for these games?
Cheers

HendoDelivered
21-07-2020, 05:33 PM
I really hope this 5 subs thing is only a temp measurement and doesn’t become the new norm.

H18 SFR
21-07-2020, 05:45 PM
I really hope this 5 subs thing is only a temp measurement and doesn’t become the new norm.

I find the whole introduction of the 5 subs for Covid reasons quite insulting. You’ve got nurses doing 12+ hour shifts but a footballer needs two additional breaks and 5 subs. Absolute piss take.

Nakedmanoncrack
21-07-2020, 07:28 PM
That's a good idea, scrap the tournament we've had most success in in the last 50 years.

At least it will mean we only have one cup competition where we risk having to suffer such ordeals as fixtures at the wrong time of year, at wrong venue, or where we get the wrong end, the wrong KO time, or any of the other multiple gripes that always get rolled out.

Andy74
21-07-2020, 08:01 PM
I find the whole introduction of the 5 subs for Covid reasons quite insulting. You’ve got nurses doing 12+ hour shifts but a footballer needs two additional breaks and 5 subs. Absolute piss take.

That’s a bit of an extreme take on things.

Pretty Boy
21-07-2020, 08:27 PM
The League Cup is an odd one. Until Celtic's recent dominance it was a trophy that saw a range of teams have success over the last few years. Ross County, St Mirren, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock have all won it in the last 10 years.

However there is hardly massive enthusiasm for it. Last year against Morton we attracted a crowd of 6500 for a last 16 tie. Anyone outside Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen or Dundee Utd would be a similar story. Not many really get interested until the business end. There have been various attempts at rejuvenating the tournament. Moving the semi final and final further back in the year, removing group stages, bringing the tournament back forward in the year, reinstating group stages.... Inspiring stuff. The best way to really get teams interested again would be to reinstate the European place for winning it, I'm not sure of the protocol with UEFA but with the revamping of European competition in the coming years maybe that will become an option again.

I quite like the idea of a cross border trophy but I can't see there being any interest at all from England. The Premier League teams wouldn't even consider it and given how hectic the schedule in the Championship is I doubt they would be particularly keen either.

It's a trophy that is probably destined to limp along as the poor relation for years to come. Largely ignored until the latter stages, dominated by teams from Glasgow and giving the other teams their day in the sun every so often.

Billy Whizz
05-08-2020, 03:54 PM
https://spfl.co.uk/news/date-set-for-betfred-cup-draw-46835

Draw on Monday at 1pm

Monts
05-08-2020, 04:00 PM
https://spfl.co.uk/news/date-set-for-betfred-cup-draw-46835

Draw on Monday at 1pm

Any teams we should be hoping for? I assume a derby isn't possible?

Billy Whizz
05-08-2020, 04:09 PM
Any teams we should be hoping for? I assume a derby isn't possible?

I think Hibs and Hearts will both be seeded, as will teams 5-12 in last years premiership
Think we’ve been both been in the Northern sections last few times

Sir David Gray
05-08-2020, 04:19 PM
I note that Aberdeen have qualified for Europe due to the Scottish Cup not being completed in time for UEFA's deadline for putting forward entrants into Europe.

Will the completion of the Scottish Cup, which is obviously planned for December, just be for the silverware or will the winners be put forward for European qualification for 2021/22?

Billy Whizz
05-08-2020, 04:21 PM
I note that Aberdeen have qualified for Europe due to the Scottish Cup not being completed in time for UEFA's deadline for putting forward entrants into Europe.

Will the completion of the Scottish Cup, which is obviously planned for December, just be for the silverware or will the winners be put forward for European qualification for 2021/22?
They gave the Aberdeen the euro gig instead of the Scottish cup winners
If we win it in December we won’t get a Euro place.

tamig
05-08-2020, 04:21 PM

No that will be for this seasons winners.

Sir David Gray
05-08-2020, 04:25 PM
They gave the Aberdeen the euro gig instead of the Scottish cup winners
If we win it in December we won’t get a Euro place.

Cheers. I just realised when I saw Aberdeen had a bye into the knockout stage of the League Cup due to being in Europe.

Pretty crap for us if we go on and win the cup but don't get Europe although I'm sure winning the cup (and knocking out Hearts along the way) will soften the blow somewhat!

I still think it may be a wasted exercise anyway as I'm not sure how much European competition will be possible for the foreseeable future.

HH81
05-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Cheers. I just realised when I saw Aberdeen had a bye into the knockout stage of the League Cup due to being in Europe.

Pretty crap for us if we go on and win the cup but don't get Europe although I'm sure winning the cup (and knocking out Hearts along the way) will soften the blow somewhat!

I still think it may be a wasted exercise anyway as I'm not sure how much European competition will be possible for the foreseeable future.

Are Man u playing at home tonight or is it all natural venues now?

Billy Whizz
05-08-2020, 04:42 PM

Their game is in Greece

Andy74
05-08-2020, 04:56 PM

Old Trafford tonight.

Sir David Gray
05-08-2020, 05:05 PM
Their game is in Greece

They're at home to an Austrian team.

Billy Whizz
05-08-2020, 05:11 PM
They're at home to an Austrian team.

Oops, the ref is Greek🤣

Keith_M
05-08-2020, 05:14 PM

In a field?

HH81
05-08-2020, 05:19 PM
In a field?

There is a few fields around here ha.

Thought had read all games would be at same ground but must have read it wrong.

CMurdoch
05-08-2020, 06:46 PM

I'm sure Celtic will be hoovering up last seasons Scottish Cup.
We will be back in Europe for season 2021/22, which will be soon enough.

EI255
05-08-2020, 07:36 PM

Will the completion of the Scottish Cup, which is obviously planned for December, just be for the silverware or will the winners be put forward for European qualification for 2021/22?So glad we didn't qualify this season. Let's be honest, we'd have made a round or two, then bang. No chance to book flights, hotels and have some fun. Let Aberdeen bash on! [emoji1787]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
05-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Oops, the ref is Greek🤣

You had a loan of Broosters glasses Billy 😉😃

lord bunberry
05-08-2020, 08:56 PM
I think Hibs and Hearts will both be seeded, as will teams 5-12 in last years premiership
Think we’ve been both been in the Northern sections last few times
I think we’re in the north and hearts are in the south so we couldn’t draw them anyway. I might be confusing hearts with Edinburgh city, but there’s definitely one of the lower league Edinburgh teams in the south section.

Billy Whizz
05-08-2020, 08:57 PM
I think we’re in the north and hearts are in the south so we couldn’t draw them anyway. I might be confusing hearts with Edinburgh city, but there’s definitely one of the lower league Edinburgh teams in the south section.

Ha ha

nonshinyfinish
06-08-2020, 07:17 AM

The half-finished last 16 ties (where one leg was played normally before lockdown) are being finished at the relevant team's ground. A couple of last 16 ties that hadn't started at all are being played at neutral venues in Germany over one leg only. Then from the quarter-finals on, all the games are in Germany.

Keith_M
06-08-2020, 09:40 AM

I actually thought they were all at neutral venues, but all in Germany.

TBH, I've lost track of all the changes by now :-)

H18 SFR
06-08-2020, 11:31 AM
Is the draw soon?

hibee_girl
06-08-2020, 11:46 AM
Is the draw soon?

Monday at 1pm

H18 SFR
06-08-2020, 12:25 PM
Monday at 1pm

👍