PDA

View Full Version : Amateur and junior fitba - good days out when Hibs aren't playing?

Antifa Hibs
17-07-2020, 07:51 PM
One thing I havn't missed in the slightest during this period is televised football. One thing massively missed is attending fitba in person.

So when Hibs aren't playing on a Saturday I'm gonna make the effort to support some of the smaller clubs.

Any suggestions for good days out for the juniors and amateur teams?

-Good easy train journey from Edinburgh (time to allow at least 1 can to be sunk)
-Easy walk to the ground at the other end with pubs around
-Terracing with cover would be a bonus for the wet and windy months
-Is it possible to have a pitch-side pint anywhere or do Scottish laws not allow this?

Suggestions welcome :thumbsup:

Fuzzywuzzy
17-07-2020, 07:58 PM
Linlithgow rose. £5 to get in, good pies, and stop off at the pubs on the way back for the train👍

Tomsk
17-07-2020, 08:13 PM
You have to go into West Lothian or Fife or further West or North to find junior teams these days. In Midlothian, East Lothian all the old junior teams are now seniors playing in the East of Scotland League or Lowland League.

Quite a few teams at that level have social clubs butting up to or even within their grounds where you can buy a pint, usually very cheap, but I don't know of anywhere you can drink pitch-side as such.

Depending on where you're starting off from :greengrin the likes of Musselburgh Athletic, Bonnyrigg Rose, Newtongrange, Dalkeith are all easily accessible being on the bus routes. Spartans and Whitehill Welfare also have social clubs within their grounds. Other teams are available.

I don't know anything about amateur football these days but if it was anything like what it was when I played drinking from cans at the side of the pitch is a prerequisite for attendance. Bring your own can.

bingo70
17-07-2020, 08:15 PM
One thing I havn't missed in the slightest during this period is televised football. One thing massively missed is attending fitba in person.

So when Hibs aren't playing on a Saturday I'm gonna make the effort to support some of the smaller clubs.

Any suggestions for good days out for the juniors and amateur teams?

-Good easy train journey from Edinburgh (time to allow at least 1 can to be sunk)
-Easy walk to the ground at the other end with pubs around
-Terracing with cover would be a bonus for the wet and windy months
-Is it possible to have a pitch-side pint anywhere or do Scottish laws not allow this?

Suggestions welcome :thumbsup:

Don’t know if you’re on Twitter mate but try following David Stoker.

He is a former Livi director that seems to go around the amateur grounds. Looks great but if he’s got a mrs I’ve no idea how he gets away with it 😂, Seemed like every day he was away searching the country looking for amateur or lower league games.

andrew70
17-07-2020, 08:16 PM
Craigroyston will be well worth a watch this year.

New management team, good squad so far and plenty talent for good football hopefully.

Billy Whizz
17-07-2020, 08:21 PM
I’ve been to see Whitletts many a time overs the years
Down to see family, and a nice view from their current stadium, Dam Park

Saturday Boy
17-07-2020, 08:22 PM
Useful website for fixtures

https://scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com/

And the best website for information on getting to the grounds

http://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/

I’m on my phone, so you will probably need to copy and paste the links.

calumhibee1
17-07-2020, 09:03 PM

New management team, good squad so far and plenty talent for good football hopefully.

:agree: They'll be a decent side at their level.

Pretty Boy
17-07-2020, 09:31 PM

Did someone take them over? I'm sure I read they had announced they were folding.

Good news, really decent club.

Tomsk
17-07-2020, 09:34 PM
:agree: They'll be a decent side at their level.

They were just about to go under last season. Good to hear some football folk have stepped forward to keep the club going. I hope some of the old crew, like John Young and Bob Currie, stay on board. They deserve it. Great guys. :thumbsup:

Smartie
17-07-2020, 09:42 PM

What’s the story with going to see them play?

Where are the home games and do you need to pay to get in?

Logie Green
17-07-2020, 10:30 PM
What’s the story with going to see them play?

Where are the home games and do you need to pay to get in?

They play at St Marks, just off Warriston Road, near the Crematorium. Last season it was £5 for an Adult but if you’re a tight arse you can watch from through the trees behind the goals for free. 🤡

Hopefully they’ll be better next season. I saw them get walloped by Burntisland Shipyard (watch out for the Shippy Ultras) and Craigroyston were poor and had no team spirit.

One thing I’ve noticed watching games at non League level is that you very rarely get 0-0 draws. It’s usually a decent day out, you get to see new grounds, there’s no hassle and you usually get a wee laugh along the way.

surreyhibbie
18-07-2020, 12:26 PM
Musselburgh Athletic just had floodlights installed, looks great.

Billy Whizz
18-07-2020, 12:29 PM
They play at St Marks, just off Warriston Road, near the Crematorium. Last season it was £5 for an Adult but if you’re a tight arse you can watch from through the trees behind the goals for free. 🤡

Hopefully they’ll be better next season. I saw them get walloped by Burntisland Shipyard (watch out for the Shippy Ultras) and Craigroyston were poor and had no team spirit.

One thing I’ve noticed watching games at non League level is that you very rarely get 0-0 draws. It’s usually a decent day out, you get to see new grounds, there’s no hassle and you usually get a wee laugh along the way.

I used to go and see them a few years ago, one of the young lads I know, played for them
They had great pies

easty
18-07-2020, 12:33 PM
Did someone take them over? I'm sure I read they had announced they were folding.

Good news, really decent club.

Yep, a poster on here will be managing them.

Knows his stuff, great guy, good gaffer 👍

Norrieg
18-07-2020, 03:55 PM
I follow Bo'ness if unable to attend Hibby games. ( Yeah, I know ----Bo'ness ? My wife comes from Bo'ness, so not much option ) Good standard all round from the teams in those leagues, and the pies, tea, coffee, bovril etc. are half the price of the guff they sell at Easter Rd. Good day out can be had.

Joe6-2
18-07-2020, 03:58 PM
I watched Civil v Bonnyrigg last season, thoroughly enjoyed it, and a beer at half time!!

Billy Whizz
18-07-2020, 03:58 PM
I follow Bo'ness if unable to attend Hibby games. ( Yeah, I know ----Bo'ness ? My wife comes from Bo'ness, so not much option ) Good standard all round from the teams in those leagues, and the pies, tea, coffee, bovril etc. are half the price of the guff they sell at Easter Rd. Good day out can be had.

What’s the latest after the fire at the ground last year

Norrieg
18-07-2020, 04:13 PM
What’s the latest after the fire at the ground last year

New artificial pitch laid. Very impressive and they'll be playing in the Lowland League this season. Some of the rolled up artificial turf was damged but the band hall took the most of it, but don't know how far on that is as I don't actually stay there. I think it was to be knocked down and rebuilt, but not too sure.
The pies are good, but so far Haddington is top of the tree for tasty pies. Brilliant !! Could give Dumferlines' steak bridies a run for their money. Well maybe not !!

ballengeich
18-07-2020, 04:18 PM

If you're looking for a short train journey and fancy combining football with a day by the sea Burntisland's a good candidate - good chip shop. In the opposite direction Dunbar's an attractive wee place.

hibsbollah
18-07-2020, 05:14 PM
If you're looking for a short train journey and fancy combining football with a day by the sea Burntisland's a good candidate - good chip shop. In the opposite direction Dunbar's an attractive wee place.

I went to see Shipyard play a midweek friendly against Dunfermline last season. Crazy wee ground with the cranes towering overhead.

Billy Whizz
18-07-2020, 05:15 PM

And it’s a great wee journey too, should stop at Aberdour for a wee stroll

Smartie
18-07-2020, 05:39 PM

Cheers.

I quite often walk past there when I’m walking home from work. I’d seen a sign that said Craigroyston but didn’t know whether that was current or historical. Good to know in advance to bring the right sort of cash etc too - ta.

I’ve not watched a game at that sort of level for decades but I do fancy it and I like the idea of something within walking distance of home (like ER).

My grandad used to take me to watch Lochore Welfare when I was wee and I loved it. A couple of my cousins played for them, both excellent players, and they had a good team at the time. This thread made me nostalgic for something like that. Some of the crowds were small in the grand scheme of things but quite big for that level and the atmosphere could be excellent when they progressed through the junior cup.

pundy man
19-07-2020, 10:30 AM
Other Leith team , Leith Athletic senior team play in eos league at Peffermill

Billy Whizz
19-07-2020, 10:36 AM
Other Leith team , Leith Athletic senior team play in eos league at Peffermill

Is the league due to start in October

edinburghhibee
19-07-2020, 11:15 AM
Get up to the fort for a game!

Currently ripping up the pitch putting in drainage and decent plans in the coming weeks months for new clubhouse and stand.

Train station is right in the centre of fort William and loads of pubs with live music and good restaurants around. Grounds only a 5 minute walk from the high street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk