PDA

View Full Version : Sleeve Sponsors - Dundee Utd first to take the plunge in Scotland

BlackSheep
17-07-2020, 05:08 PM
I mentioned this a few seasons back as another method of income for the club. The idea was swiftly shot down.

I’m glad Dundee United have taken the ‘leap’... they also were the first to do sock sponsors... but that is a ridiculous idea! Lololol.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/6518/EDEN-MILL-SIGN-TWO-YEAR-PARTNERSHIP.html?key=dufc&utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=dundeeunitedfc

JohnM1875
17-07-2020, 05:21 PM
I get why clubs do it, income obviously. But it looks atrocious with sponsors all over the kits.

The 90+2
17-07-2020, 05:23 PM
Just kind of expect beep peep patches to be kicking about ours soon.

Hibernia&Alba
17-07-2020, 05:27 PM
I get why clubs do it, income obviously. But it looks atrocious with sponsors all over the kits.

Yes, it's where you draw the line. We don't want to end up with football kits looking like Formula 1 overalls, plastered with advertisements. Some countries are like that already, e.g. France.

Were we the first to have sponsorship on shorts?

04Sauzee
17-07-2020, 05:33 PM
Strip doesn't look great but sponsorship doesn't look offensive

Vault Boy
17-07-2020, 05:35 PM
Strip doesn't look great but sponsorship doesn't look offensive

I'd agree with that. The actual strip is grim IMO, but when sponsors conform to the colour scheme/style of the kit, it helps a hell of a lot.

i.e. When Marathon Bet were our sponsors. Before the first season was horrendous, but got much better with compromise.

tamig
17-07-2020, 05:36 PM
Yes, it's where you draw the line. We don't want to end up with football kits looking like Formula 1 overalls, plastered with advertisements. Some countries are like that already, e.g. France.

Were we the first to have sponsorship on shorts?

I have a pair of le coq shorts with Homewood Flooring on them. Not sure when that dates from but probably 2005-2009ish? Not sure if we were the first though.

TelaStella
17-07-2020, 06:27 PM
Not something I’m glad to see the introduction of but I think I’d rather have sponsorship on our sleeves than our shorts if we could pick. Defiantly not both though. I’m rueing the day that will no doubt come when we have about 6 different names across our tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
17-07-2020, 06:48 PM
I have a pair of le coq shorts with Homewood Flooring on them. Not sure when that dates from but probably 2005-2009ish? Not sure if we were the first though.

I have a pair of Le Coq green shorts with F&C investments on them. I think they were prototypes and not actually worn. Anyone?

G15 Hibs
17-07-2020, 07:07 PM
Hibs have very special sleeves though

MyJo
17-07-2020, 07:12 PM
Not something I’m glad to see the introduction of but I think I’d rather have sponsorship on our sleeves than our shorts if we could pick. Defiantly not both though. I’m rueing the day that will no doubt come when we have about 6 different names across our tops.

Seems like you can do whatever you want, Dundee have six different sponsors on their kits, one main sponsor on the front then two on the back, one on the sleeve, one on shorts and one on socks.

Eyrie
17-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Hibs have very special sleeves though

Agreed.

Persil would be suitable sponsors, providing they agreed to have their logo in white.

tamig
17-07-2020, 07:32 PM
I have a pair of Le Coq green shorts with F&C investments on them. I think they were prototypes and not actually worn. Anyone?

No I think they were official and came after the Homewood efforts. Maybe the following season.

Heckys Wheel
17-07-2020, 07:36 PM
Seems like you can do whatever you want, Dundee have six different sponsors on their kits, one main sponsor on the front then two on the back, one on the sleeve, one on shorts and one on socks.

It’s just taking the place of the SPFL sponsor.

The money is better in the club’s bank account than the league’s.

PaulSmith
17-07-2020, 08:59 PM
Hibs have been actively promoting opportunities for companies to become a ‘sleeve sponsor’ for a number of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

macca70
17-07-2020, 09:04 PM
I mentioned this a few seasons back as another method of income for the club. The idea was swiftly shot down.

I’m glad Dundee United have taken the ‘leap’... they also were the first to do sock sponsors... but that is a ridiculous idea! Lololol.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/6518/EDEN-MILL-SIGN-TWO-YEAR-PARTNERSHIP.html?key=dufc&utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=dundeeunitedfc

Decent additional source of income although we haven’t even had a main shirt sponsor last couple of years

hibbycraig
17-07-2020, 09:04 PM
Sell as much space as possible. More money the better surely, especially at this time.

tamig
17-07-2020, 10:06 PM
Sell as much space as possible. More money the better surely, especially at this time.

Lets no cover up the white sleeves totally though?

TelaStella
17-07-2020, 11:14 PM

All for the club generating as much income as possible in this time of uncertainty but not at the expense of actively dismantling our kits.

BlackSheep
17-07-2020, 11:27 PM
It’s just taking the place of the SPFL sponsor.

The money is better in the club’s bank account than the league’s.

This.

In England where it is commonplace the Premier League agreed To let teams only display the Premier League badge in one sleeve.

They are small and most of the time inoffensive (except Angry Birds for Everton last few years lol). At in tough times a little extra income wouldn’t go amiss.

I’m sure Ron could get a decent sponsor too

BlackSheep
17-07-2020, 11:28 PM
Hibs have been actively promoting opportunities for companies to become a ‘sleeve sponsor’ for a number of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great news.

Keith_M
18-07-2020, 09:20 AM

:agree:

Austrian teams have had advertising on every possible part of their kits for years and it looks hideous.

(I'm not saying this is what's being proposed, it's just a 'note of caution' about taking it too far)

https://www.ligaportal.at/bundesliga/images/19-20/Austria/Austria-Altach_Parak6.jpg

Andy74
18-07-2020, 11:13 AM

Austrian teams have had advertising on every possible part of their kits for years and it looks hideous.

(I'm not saying this is what's being proposed, it's just a 'note of caution' about taking it too far)

https://www.ligaportal.at/bundesliga/images/19-20/Austria/Austria-Altach_Parak6.jpg

That’s horrendous.

BlackSheep
18-07-2020, 12:35 PM

Yup, there and France is well OTT.... but I doubt Scottish football would ever attract that many companies wanting to sponsor most of the teams lolololol.

lord bunberry
18-07-2020, 05:28 PM

That’s hideous.

EI255
18-07-2020, 07:15 PM
I get why clubs do it, income obviously. But it looks atrocious with sponsors all over the kits.Just about every league in Europe has adopted multiple strip sponsors now. Scotland lagging behind.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

EI255
18-07-2020, 07:16 PM
Strip doesn't look great but sponsorship doesn't look offensiveLooks absolutely fine to me.

EI255
18-07-2020, 07:17 PM
This.

In England where it is commonplace the Premier League agreed To let teams only display the Premier League badge in one sleeve.

They are small and most of the time inoffensive (except Angry Birds for Everton last few years lol). At in tough times a little extra income wouldn’t go amiss.

I’m sure Ron could get a decent sponsor tooNever quite understood why Everton had that sponsor. Looked silly.

greenlex
18-07-2020, 08:02 PM
Never quite understood why Everton had that sponsor. Looked silly.

I would imagine a huge wad of cash.

EI255
18-07-2020, 10:42 PM
I would imagine a huge wad of cash.I get that. But it's a sponsor that was dated! Even my wee kid agrees!

tonyrougier123
19-07-2020, 07:06 AM
That’s horrendous.

What supporter would buy that kit.awful!😂

Centre Hawf
19-07-2020, 07:18 AM
If sticking a sponsor on the sleeves for players and fans allows us to sign our first choice transfer target for that season then all for it. I'd rather see a successful football team before I worry about how the kit looks.

EI255
19-07-2020, 10:55 AM
If sticking a sponsor on the sleeves for players and fans allows us to sign our first choice transfer target for that season then all for it. I'd rather see a successful football team before I worry about how the kit looks.Hear, hear. I also don't think fans will have any say in it. And rightly so if it means more money coming in.

Keith_M
19-07-2020, 11:13 AM
If sticking a sponsor on the sleeves for players and fans allows us to sign our first choice transfer target for that season then all for it. I'd rather see a successful football team before I worry about how the kit looks.

Within limits.

If it's a small sponsors badge on one sleeve and it doesn't ruin the traditional look of our strip, then fine. If they go the whole Austria Vienna experience (see above), then they've taken it too far.

As an aside: Austrian matches are actually quite good fun. It's a while since I've been but, you could get proper grub, Bier and the atmosphere was always decent (even through the crowds are quite low).