PDA

View Full Version : My introduction to Hibs.

Irish_Steve
17-07-2020, 08:58 AM
I was introduced to Hibs by my big brother David. He had moved from Northern Ireland to Edinburgh to study at the University in 83. Life,studies and kids made up those first few years but after the Mercer takeover bid, he decided to go to Easter Rd and take his young boys with him.

By that stage, I had moved to Aberdeen but would come down occasionally and go to the games with him. One thing lead to another and we ended up getting Season Tickets after I moved to Edinburgh in 94.

Tragically he died yesterday at the age of 55, we dont know how yet but it wasnt Covid related. We are all numb here but I shall raise a wee toast to him when we do get back to Easter Rd.

My heart is broken

H18 SFR
17-07-2020, 09:05 AM
Really sorry for you loss Steve. We will light a candle for your family tonight.

Thinking of you.

PatHead
17-07-2020, 09:10 AM
Really, really sorry for you. Far too young.

Scottie
17-07-2020, 09:11 AM
Steve sorry to hear about your brother. 55 no age at all. God bless.

Billy Whizz
17-07-2020, 09:15 AM
That’s such a hard read
Thoughts with you all

offshorehibby
17-07-2020, 09:21 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss Steve, 55 is far to young.

Vault Boy
17-07-2020, 09:27 AM
What a tragic and untimely loss, Steve. So sorry to read this.

Hopefully the moments you were both able to share at Easter Road leave a lasting and happy memory for you.

All the very best to you and yours at this time.

Bostonhibby
17-07-2020, 09:28 AM
Sorry to hear this Steve, thoughts are with you and yours.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
17-07-2020, 09:29 AM
Awful Steve. Thoughts and prayers with you and yours.

JimBHibees
17-07-2020, 09:33 AM
I was introduced to Hibs by my big brother David. He had moved from Northern Ireland to Edinburgh to study at the University in 83. Life,studies and kids made up those first few years but after the Mercer takeover, he decided to go to Easter Rd and take his young boys with him.

By that stage, I had moved to Aberdeen but would come down occasionally and go to the games with him. One thing lead to another and we ended up getting Season Tickets after I moved to Edinburgh in 94.

Tragically he died yesterday at the age of 55, we dont know how yet but it wasnt Covid related. We are all numb here but I shall raise a wee toast to him when we do get back to Easter Rd.

My heart is broken

Sorry to hear your news. RIP to your brother.

hibeerealist
17-07-2020, 09:38 AM
Hi Stevie, so sorry to hear of your brother's passing and at 55 he is so young! One of the angels high above now and he will watch the games from the best seat in the house, GGTTH.

04Sauzee
17-07-2020, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hear of your sad loss and thoughts with you and your family at these difficult times. PM'S are always open if you need to chat about anything

Take care

Bristolhibby
17-07-2020, 09:45 AM
Sorry to read about the loss of your brother.

Condolences to you and your family.

J

scuttle
17-07-2020, 10:02 AM
Condolences to you and the family mate

Lendo
17-07-2020, 10:03 AM
Tragic, so sorry for your loss mate.

Sammy7nil
17-07-2020, 10:41 AM
Very sad tragic story, I hope you remember all the great times with your brother.

oneone73
17-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Really sorry to hear this. Take care. The Hibs family will always be here for you 💚

FilipinoHibs
17-07-2020, 10:44 AM
Sorry to hear the sad news. So young to go. Thoughts are with you all.

mim
17-07-2020, 11:00 AM
I was introduced to Hibs by my big brother David. He had moved from Northern Ireland to Edinburgh to study at the University in 83. Life,studies and kids made up those first few years but after the Mercer takeover, he decided to go to Easter Rd and take his young boys with him.

My heart is broken

Steve, I was reading your post thinking what a great wee story, until you hit me in the solar plexus with your awful news.
So sorry to hear this. Sincere condolences to family and friends.

R.I.P. David.

The 90+2
17-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Rest in peace David. Hope you’re okay Steve god bless you and your family.

Hakim Sar
17-07-2020, 12:03 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Lancs Harp
17-07-2020, 12:09 PM
Very sorry to hear your sad news. Deepest condolences.

The Harp
17-07-2020, 12:12 PM
Condolences to you and the family on the loss of your brother, Steve. I lost my wife at 55, it's far too young. Sounds like you'll have a wealth of happy memories of your brother to sustain you.
Take care mate.
Rest in peace David.

O'Rourke3
17-07-2020, 12:16 PM
So sorry to hear that.

Condolances to the family. 55 is far too young.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

wookie70
17-07-2020, 12:54 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Bangkok Hibby
17-07-2020, 01:10 PM
I'm sure everyone who reads your post is feeling your pain Steve. 55 is too young to go. Hold on to all your good memories. I hope sharing here and reading the replies is helping just a little bit.

Pretty Boy
17-07-2020, 01:29 PM
Sorry to read about your loss, 55 is no age. Your brother gave you a wonderful gift of an extended family of thousands and hopefully in time you will be able to look back on some of those memories fondly.

RIP.

matty_f
17-07-2020, 01:39 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Steve. That’s heartbreaking.

jeffers
17-07-2020, 02:11 PM
Terrible news. My thoughts are with you and your family.

AltheHibby
17-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Sorry to hear, Steve. 55 is far too young these days.

Jonnyboy
17-07-2020, 03:23 PM
Thoughts are with you and the family, Steve

Hibernia&Alba
17-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Deepest condolences, Steve. 55 is so young. Best wishes to you and your family at this tragic time.

southern hibby
17-07-2020, 07:53 PM
So so sorry for your and your family’s loss.

RIP.

Fergos
17-07-2020, 08:00 PM
Love and strength to you, your Family and all who have lost Steve.

RIP.

wandering_hibee
17-07-2020, 09:05 PM
Deepest condolences to you. What a lovely wee moving story that we normally never hear, thank you for sharing.

Hillsidehibby
17-07-2020, 09:44 PM
Awful for you bud. Be strong for your brother. HFC.

jellybean
18-07-2020, 10:35 AM
So sorry to hear this sad news. Thinking of all the family at this difficult time.

Craig_in_Prague
18-07-2020, 10:47 AM
Awful sad news, love to all his friends and family

To the Angel's high above 💚

Irish_Steve
18-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the messages, they do help. I had considered asking for a tribute message to be played when we were next allowed into Easter Rd but I wouldn`t be able to hear it where i sit in the FF Upper

Obviously the highlight of his time supporting Hibs was the Scottish Cup win but he was equally proud and happy that he had once started a chant of "Hail Hail, the Hibs are here" at the old away end of Tynecastle - it may have even been the Gordon Hunter game.

And some of you may have even seen him play with his Ramones tribute band called The Remains a few years ago.

Thanks again

greenlex
18-07-2020, 06:26 PM
Awful news Steve. 💚 Take care.

tamig
18-07-2020, 07:01 PM
So sorry to hear this Steve. His memory goes marching on. RIP.

SouthMoroccoStu
18-07-2020, 07:12 PM
My thoughts are with you pal

Dashing Bob S
18-07-2020, 09:00 PM
Ah, such horrible news for you all Steve. My best to your family.

One Day
19-07-2020, 08:50 AM
Very sad. 55 is much to young. R.I.P.

Fenriz
19-07-2020, 10:34 AM
Hi all, I wanted to follow up on this thread with some additional background on how my dad started following Hibs. I'm Irish Steve's nephew and the eldest of my dad's five sons. Coincidentally and bizarrely in the circumstances, about a month ago I put a journalist pal of mine in touch with my dad for a piece he was doing about the Hands off Hibs takeover. His perspective on becoming a Hibs supporter in 1990 was pretty unique- you can read his wee contribution here:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/nostalgia/hibs-and-hearts-fans-share-their-views-controversial-merger-bid-30-years-2875309

(My dad assured me that this was very much a sanitised version of what he said, and that his interview originally had far more swearing and unflattering descriptions of FTB Mercer :greengrin.

When I was born, we actually lived in Gorgie. Dad came over to Scotland from Northern Ireland, and knew that he didn't want to support either of the Old Firm, but other than that essentially had no allegiance to any particular team. After spending a short time amongst the Jambos, and hearing their 1980s songbook, he knew that he definitely couldn't support them either!)

Thinking about it today, this decision by my dad 30 years ago has contributed to at least 12 long term season ticket holders in our family over the years, with plenty more on the way. I'm looking forward to taking my 3 year old to Easter Road when he's ready, but know that I'm going to be in floods of tears when we do get back. Cheers to everybody here for the kind wishes- I'm so grateful to my wonderful dad.

Vault Boy
19-07-2020, 10:39 AM
Hi all, I wanted to follow up on this thread with some additional background on how my dad started following Hibs. I'm Irish Steve's nephew and the eldest of my dad's five sons. Coincidentally and bizarrely in the circumstances, about a month ago I put a journalist pal of mine in touch with my dad for a piece he was doing about the Hands off Hibs takeover. His perspective on becoming a Hibs supporter in 1990 was pretty unique- you can read his wee contribution here:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/nostalgia/hibs-and-hearts-fans-share-their-views-controversial-merger-bid-30-years-2875309

(My dad assured me that this was very much a sanitised version of what he said, and that his interview originally had far more swearing and unflattering descriptions of FTB Mercer :greengrin.

When I was born, we actually lived in Gorgie. Dad came over to Scotland from Northern Ireland, and knew that he didn't want to support either of the Old Firm, but other than that essentially had no allegiance to any particular team. After spending a short time amongst the Jambos, and hearing their 1980s songbook, he knew that he definitely couldn't support them either!)

Thinking about it today, this decision by my dad 30 years ago has contributed to at least 12 long term season ticket holders in our family over the years, with plenty more on the way. I'm looking forward to taking my 3 year old to Easter Road when he's ready, but know that I'm going to be in floods of tears when we do get back. Cheers to everybody here for the kind wishes- I'm so grateful to my wonderful dad.

That's a lovely message about your father, Fenriz. Clearly his influence has left a lasting impact on the club and will do for generations to come. All the best to you and your family.

Irish_Steve
19-07-2020, 02:51 PM

He wasn`t infallible tho, nephew. You were probably too young to remember but at the 93 League Cup Final he said "I know a short-cut to Celtic Park" That short-cut took us passed all the Rangers Supporters buses. There was us, resplendent in green walking by all the buses with the Huns looking at us in disbelief - they must have thought we had balls of steel but mine were up somewhere round my ear-lobes.

The 90+2
19-07-2020, 02:56 PM
He wasn`t infallible tho, nephew. You were probably too young to remember but at the 93 League Cup Final he said "I know a short-cut to Celtic Park" That short-cut took us passed all the Rangers Supporters buses. There was us, resplendent in green walking by all the buses with the Huns looking at us in disbelief - they must have thought we had balls of steel but mine were up somewhere round my ear-lobes.

💚💚

Fenriz
20-07-2020, 08:10 AM

:tee hee: This was a classic moment, I remember it well.

tricky
20-07-2020, 11:12 AM
Steve (and family )

It’s Robbie W here Bens brother, was gutted to hear this awful news last week, had many laughs with the big man over the years and always looked out for him at the highland away games and stood together, indeed he gave us a lift from Inverness to Dingwall and back a few times, also traveled on our bus a few times with his sons a while back. Caught his band a few times, great fun.

Will be sadly missed but not forgotten

Sending love and strength

Robbie

Irish_Steve
22-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Steve (and family )

It’s Robbie W here Bens brother, was gutted to hear this awful news last week, had many laughs with the big man over the years and always looked out for him at the highland away games and stood together, indeed he gave us a lift from Inverness to Dingwall and back a few times, also traveled on our bus a few times with his sons a while back. Caught his band a few times, great fun.

Will be sadly missed but not forgotten

Sending love and strength

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

Sorry, just catching up on here - thanks for those kind words, he will be sorely missed