PDA

View Full Version : St Mirren Chairman

neil7908
17-07-2020, 07:48 AM
What is he on? Quotes from an interview with the BBC:

"We will be in the top six, make no mistake about it. And why not this year?"

(the article notes 8th is their highest top flight finish in 20 years)

"St Mirren is used to success."

"St Mirren is a big club, it was used to winning trophies and playing in Europe"

So glad we have LD.

MWHIBBIES
17-07-2020, 07:53 AM
Quite a few of their fans are that daft actually. They'll be fighting relegation as always.

McSwanky
17-07-2020, 07:54 AM

"St Mirren is a big club, it was used to winning trophies and playing in Europe"

So glad we have LD.I listened to that podcast yesterday. I like Fitzpatrick, a true enthusiast and loves his club.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

dchibs
17-07-2020, 07:56 AM

So glad we have LD.

They are probably trying to wind up the Hearts fans even more.:greengrin

neil7908
17-07-2020, 07:56 AM
I listened to that podcast yesterday. I like Fitzpatrick, a true enthusiast and loves his club.

I have no issue with enthusiasm and ambition but the comments above are nuts. He's putting himself, the manager and players under totally unnecessary pressure.

McSwanky
17-07-2020, 07:57 AM
I have no issue with enthusiasm and ambition but the comments above are nuts. He's putting himself, the manager and players under totally unnecessary pressure.You should listen to the podcast.

Billy Whizz
17-07-2020, 07:57 AM
I have no issue with enthusiasm and ambition but the comments above are nuts. He's putting himself, the manager and players under totally unnecessary pressure.

He did the same with Stubbs, then gave him a small budget

Peevemor
17-07-2020, 07:58 AM
I quite like Tony Fitzpatrick.

He knows fine that St Mirren probably won't be top 6 this season, but he's ambitious and optimistic or at least that's the image he wants to present to the media.

Oscar T Grouch
17-07-2020, 07:58 AM
TF is the ultimate glass half full guy when it comes to his team. He says this stuff every year because he believes in them.

Peevemor
17-07-2020, 08:02 AM

Did Stubbs not sign loads of players for them who were mostly emptied ASAP?

H18 SFR
17-07-2020, 08:04 AM
Wycombe chairman was saying the same this time last pre season despite having only 9 registered players etc etc.

Nothing wrong with belief and ambition.

Dream, believe, achieve and all that.

McSwanky
17-07-2020, 08:05 AM
He did the same with Stubbs, then gave him a small budgetThe point was that if Motherwell and Livingston can do it, why can't St Mirren? I doubt Livingston had a bigger budget than them last year for instance.

As for success, in my lifetime St Mirren have won as many Scottish Cups as Hibs, and one less League Cups. Not too shabby at all.

Plus they love a Hearts wind up.

Tony's ok by me!

Sammy7nil
17-07-2020, 08:12 AM
I know only one Saints fan, he is very realistic thought it was a mistake to sack Danny Lennon. He knows their aim each year is to stay up and maybe a cup semi-final.

Dashing Bob S
17-07-2020, 08:14 AM

So glad we have LD.

I expect nothing less from the club who edged out the Yams 1-0 at the Delusion Cup final last season and 'expelled' them as a club. Long msy their grandiose pretensions shimmer.

Glory Lurker
17-07-2020, 08:22 AM
I won't hear a bad word said about the Buddies these days. If they were to say their ambition for next season is to finish it by winning gold in the men's 100 metres at the rearranged Tokyo Olympics, my only query to that would be whether they could break the world record at the same time.

Marvellous club.

Waxy
17-07-2020, 08:29 AM
Nothing wrong with a bit optimism.

Future17
17-07-2020, 08:37 AM

So glad we have LD.

It was the Chief Exec rather than the Chairman. Prob best to listen to the interview for context.

mal
17-07-2020, 09:30 AM

So glad we have LD.

He has history of saying stuff like ths: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36559890

jacomo
17-07-2020, 09:32 AM

Yeah, I’m all for positivity but it needs to be backed by something more substantial than hope.

Still, good luck to them.

Bishop Hibee
17-07-2020, 09:34 AM
Ach why not show a bit of positivity from a guy who’s a fan as well as Chairman. As for Hibs, “we’re going to top the League next year and win the Scottish flag” 😉

mjhibby
17-07-2020, 09:36 AM
I won't hear a bad word said about the Buddies these days. If they were to say their ambition for next season is to finish it by winning gold in the men's 100 metres at the rearranged Tokyo Olympics, my only query to that would be whether they could break the world record at the same time.

Marvellous club.

One of my fav away game trips. Always got a very good welcome. He goes ott but I like be his Enthusiasm. Buddies ok by me.

JimBHibees
17-07-2020, 09:39 AM
Nowt wrong with a bit of positivity and optimism in Scottish football as there is more than enough of the opposite.

Bronson
17-07-2020, 09:40 AM

Marvellous club.

I echo this sentiment. They’re a fantastic club and I would be delighted to see them in 4th place next season behind us and the ugly sisters.

Keith_M
17-07-2020, 09:44 AM

There's nothing wrong with a bit of optimism but... did he really say that?

Maybe he was just trying to wind up the Yams.

Ronniekirk
17-07-2020, 10:26 AM
He does this every year and they don’t achieve it It’s his job to talk the club up and try and shift Season Tickets but the reality is as e well knows they are very much a bottom six club unless they get lucky with a manager and back them
They dobro g through good young players though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
17-07-2020, 10:28 AM
He does this every year and they don’t achieve it It’s his job to talk the club up and try and shift Season Tickets but the reality is as e well knows they are very much a bottom six club unless they get lucky with a manager and back them
They dobro g through good young players though

Think Goodwin has done a good job and think he will do better this season. Impressed by both McPherson and particularly left back Watters (appreciate he may be a loan) when we last played them at ER.

LancsHibs
17-07-2020, 10:32 AM
Wycombe chairman was saying the same this time last pre season despite having only 9 registered players etc etc.

Nothing wrong with belief and ambition.

Dream, believe, achieve and all that.

Correct and spot on. St.Johnstone have managed it a few times so why not St.Mirren, a club on similar standings? I wish them luck except against us of course. A top 6 finish for the buddies will fill the flumps full of seath down in the championship:thumbsup:

where'stheslope
17-07-2020, 11:22 AM
Did their Irish manager from a few seasons ago not say they could win the league???
Optimism is one thing delusion is for the funny farm!!!

tamig
17-07-2020, 11:43 AM
I listened to that podcast yesterday. I like Fitzpatrick, a true enthusiast and loves his club.

I was just going to ask if it was wee Tony. That’s exactly the type of stuff I’d expect from him. He is super enthusiastic almost to the point of delusion. 😀

neil7908
17-07-2020, 12:00 PM
I like enthusiasm, I like passion and ambition but if you say stuff like he has it just puts pressure imo on the manager and players.

There's ways to express the above without saying "we will be in the top six, make no mistake about it". Klopp is enthusiastic bit couldn't imagine him saying we will win the league next year.

CMurdoch
17-07-2020, 12:11 PM
As Ronnie says above "It’s his job to talk the club up and try and shift Season Tickets" It takes care of the gullible who need to hear this stuff to help tip them over the edge if they were swithering about buying.
Off the record Tony Fitzpatrick would tell you he expects to be bottom 6 and would be delighted with 10th and a cheeky wee cup run.
As the squads currently stand most folk are expecting this seasons top 6 to consist of Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs, Motherwell and probably Dundee Utd or Livingston. Only a deluded St Mirren fan would be putting money on them for top 6.

TelaStella
17-07-2020, 01:39 PM
Their recruitment so far has been admirable, they have a very good, clever and yet still up an and coming manager who id imagine wants to sick around for the long term and not the short. We all know about their track record of developing young players and introducing them to first team football. Very soon to be majority fan owned I believe? Have to say I can’t really see many negatives for the buddies. Kilmarnock, Livi, St J, Inverness have all enjoyed success at the higher end of the table in recent years and it was only 4 seasons Patrick finished 6th. I don’t see what’s so unrealistic and really feel it’s about time St Mirren had their own successful season story

The 90+2
17-07-2020, 01:49 PM
Nothing wrong with ambition. Unfortunately St Mirren have the most miserable support known to mankind and setting an ambition that high is doomed to fail when they lose their First game and they get on the boards back.

They also treated Stubbsy shanly so they can bolt.

Alan62
17-07-2020, 01:59 PM
Tony Fitzpatrick's enthusiasm is admirable. Whether it's rooted in reality we'll soon see. All fans want their team to do well. In our hearts, we harbour dreams of winning the league. We imagine the perfect storm where we pull together the right group of players and the right manager to displace the Uglies against all the odds. It's unlikely but we assure ourselves it's possible. The difference is that we don't go around asserting it will happen. We just hope it does and work hard towards that end.

oneone73
17-07-2020, 02:07 PM
Nothing wrong with ambition. Unfortunately St Mirren have the most miserable support known to mankind.
No they don't.

Pretty Boy
17-07-2020, 02:07 PM
The problem with that kind of enthusiasm is it leads to clubs doing daft things like not offering a cup winning manager a new contract and being relegated the following season as a result. That was before Fitzpatricks time but Gilmour had the same delusions about St Mirrens relative position in Scottish football.

St Mirren won't be top 6 next season, they won't even be close. A good young manager could find himself under all sorts of pressure though because suddenly an 8th or 9th place finish is seen as a failure.

The 90+2
17-07-2020, 02:29 PM
No they don't.

They do. From first to last minute they boooooo everything.

TelaStella
17-07-2020, 02:31 PM
St Mirren won't be top 6 next season, they won't even be close.

what makes you so sure? Just curious.

Alan62
17-07-2020, 02:42 PM
At the moment, it's hard to know what impact the current issues have had on clubs and their ability to muster a competitive squad. League placing usually match budgets however - with the odd exception thrown in to keep us on our toes. Nobody expects that the league's big spenders, Celtic and Rangers will be anything other than top two. Only a perfect storm will prevent that.

Aberdeen should be reasonably well placed to grind out a top four position.

We're in an interesting position with a good manager and, on paper so far, some interesting signings. Whether our defence is good enough, and our squad is big enough, to mount a sustained challenge remains to be seen.

Motherwell did well last season. Can they sustain that? Who knows?

Beyond that, really nobody knows. There's a lot of similar clubs jockeying for position and we really won't know if they're going to have the resources to be top 6 or bottom 6 until things get properly underway.

oneone73
17-07-2020, 02:47 PM
They do. From first to last minute they boooooo everything.

Great at trolling the Hertz, though. I can forgive them a lot.

The 90+2
17-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Great at trolling the Hertz, though. I can forgive them a lot.

Fair point. My second Scottish team too 😁

Pretty Boy
17-07-2020, 03:43 PM
what makes you so sure? Just curious.

The 35 year gap since their last top 6 finish in the top league is a pretty big hint as to where St Mirren usually finish in the league.

I didn't see much evidence last season they were close to challenging for the top 6. They were well off the pace and that's in a season in which Hibs, Hearts and Kilmarnock all seriously underperformed.

Jim44
17-07-2020, 04:25 PM
I like enthusiasm, I like passion and ambition but if you say stuff like he has it just puts pressure imo on the manager and players.

There's ways to express the above without saying "we will be in the top six, make no mistake about it". Klopp is enthusiastic bit couldn't imagine him saying we will win the league next year.

I don’t believe for a second that TF believes this himself and I don’t think he’ll be putting pressure on Jim Goodwin. His statement would have been shared with Goodwin, who, for all we know, might have been party to it. Nothing wrong with bigging up your team’s chances at this time of the season.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-07-2020, 04:29 PM
The 35 year gap since their last top 6 finish in the top league is a pretty big hint as to where St Mirren usually finish in the league.

I didn't see much evidence last season they were close to challenging for the top 6. They were well off the pace and that's in a season in which Hibs, Hearts and Kilmarnock all seriously underperformed.

Very true! 👍

Iggy Pope
17-07-2020, 04:32 PM
He’s got some gob but what a left foot he had as I recall.
Think he has a street named after him in Paisley. St Mirren fan with a street and a stand named after him and voted their all time best player. He can probably say anything he likes as far as they’re concerned.

TelaStella
17-07-2020, 04:49 PM

Where did you fancy Livi to finish last season? Or Killie the two seasons before? In 2013 did you see St Johnstone finishing 3rd with the two Highland teams behind them. Just a few examples to perhaps ponder on like the chairman mentioned in the interview. If St Mirren haven’t finished top 6 in 35 years then surely you realise it’s bound to happen at some point and while I’m not a St Mirren fan it would appear that the mood of the club is one of an up rather than a down right now. A good young manager with genuine loyalties to the club, positive recruitment so far with ambitions targets been mentioned and a steady supply of local youth talent so why on earth couldn’t it be this season coming they hit a bit of form? Remember Top 6 can just mean 6th which anyone there would be delighted with. It’s not as if we’re talking about St Mirren finishing 2nd.

JimBHibees
17-07-2020, 05:11 PM
He’s got some gob but what a left foot he had as I recall.
Think he has a street named after him in Paisley. St Mirren fan with a street and a stand named after him and voted their all time best player. He can probably say anything he likes as far as they’re concerned.

Don't think he had a strong left foot. More a skilful midfield playmaker.

PH91
17-07-2020, 05:35 PM
I echo this sentiment. They’re a fantastic club and I would be delighted to see them in 4th place next season behind us and the ugly sisters.

I'd rather they finished 2nd ahead of the ugly sisters.

Speedway
17-07-2020, 07:41 PM
St Mirren were last a top 6, top flight club in 1985.

It might be their turn again.

Greenfly
17-07-2020, 09:54 PM
He's just a really enthusiastic fan. I mind him years ago - think it was when he started his 2nd spell as St.M manager - saying on TV "This is a massive, massive club" - delusional but why not? - one of the good guys.

allezsauzee
18-07-2020, 12:12 AM
Clubs like Livingston, St Johnstone, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Partick Thistle, Ross County and Hearts have finished in the top 6 in the last 5 years so I'm not sure what's so outrageous about St Mirren setting this as a target. Good luck to the buddies....apart from when they are playing us obviously!

Dr What If?
18-07-2020, 08:10 AM
Paisley is Scotland's largest 'town'.....on that basis they could potentially get crowds twice that of the likes of Motherwell or St Johnstone, in Scottish football terms they are no small fish. I do have a bit of a soft spot for them and would be happy for them to make the top 6 (as long as its not ahead of my true love of course :greengrin).

Iggy Pope
18-07-2020, 08:12 AM
Don't think he had a strong left foot. More a skilful midfield playmaker.

A left foot and a skilful midfield playmaker, yes.

Magpie
02-10-2020, 09:54 PM
Bottom of the league after 10 games with 7 points. Selling their captain against the wishes of their manager.

Some fella.

H18 SFR
02-10-2020, 09:57 PM
Bottom of the league after 10 games with 7 points. Selling their captain against the wishes of their manager.

Some fella.

To be fair, we are operating in very harsh Financial Times, the may genuinely require the money.

Pretty Boy
02-10-2020, 09:58 PM
Whoever could have predicted this......

Fitzpatrick is a slaver and it's another relegation battle for St Mirren this season. It was always going to be that way.

B.H.F.C
02-10-2020, 10:00 PM
Whoever could have predicted this......

Fitzpatrick is a slaver and it's another relegation battle for St Mirren this season. It was always going to be that way.

And to top it off he seems to have pissed off the manager.

St Mirren were only able to list 4 subs tonight as well.

Iggy Pope
02-10-2020, 10:03 PM
By way of this thread I see Speedway isn’t here any more. Bit *****, liked his prompting.

The 90+2
02-10-2020, 11:16 PM
Mind that time Jim Goodwin turned a move to us down because St Mirren had more ambition and a better team?

Karma, James 😎

MagicSwirlingShip
02-10-2020, 11:21 PM
Hope they can use the money well, maybe tie up a few of there other youngsters to longer term deals.

Good club St Mirren, hope they stay up

Jdawg
02-10-2020, 11:47 PM
Maybe if he didn’t harp on about being top six every year. He’s an idiot. What team does he actually watch, as it’s not St Mirren.

neil7908
03-10-2020, 12:00 AM
Maybe if he didn’t harp on about being top six every year. He’s an idiot. What team does he actually watch, as it’s not St Mirren.

This. Someone else called him a slaver - I can't think of a better description.

Cheers for sending our Gorgie friends down though!

Phil MaGlass
03-10-2020, 07:05 AM
To be fair to them they probably could have been top six or thereaboots had they no sold us their best players😂, wonder how they would have faired without Covid.

Thanks fir pittin the hertz doon.

Gaffer1875
03-10-2020, 07:33 AM
I don’t mind St Mirren, I hope they stay up this year.

Brightside
03-10-2020, 07:38 AM
Did Stubbs not sign loads of players for them who were mostly emptied ASAP?

Yes. Great example of why you need a recruitment dept.

weecounty hibby
03-10-2020, 09:39 AM
They are as frustrated as we would be at losing their best players. They are an ok club with a grass pitch who I hope stay up. Also they sent the Jambos down and their fans have slaughtered the tarts on social media all summer so all things considered they're ok in my eyes

Billy Whizz
03-10-2020, 09:42 AM
They are as frustrated as we would be at losing their best players. They are an ok club with a grass pitch who I hope stay up. Also they sent the Jambos down and their fans have slaughtered the tarts on social media all summer so all things considered they're ok in my eyes

Well said

The Count
03-10-2020, 09:47 AM
Ok we have bought there best player but lets not go down this arrogant big club route lets leave that rubbish to Hearts.St Mirren needed the money we get a good player and we move on.Remember we hate the big club senario when Celtic and Rangers take our players so its hypicritical to act the same way towards St.Mirren.

Magpie
03-10-2020, 09:48 AM

St Mirren to beat Hearts in the play off final would be marvellous.

Wilson
03-10-2020, 09:54 AM
Mind that time Jim Goodwin turned a move to us down because St Mirren had more ambition and a better team?

Karma, James 😎

He was right at the time. Can't fault him for doing what he thought was best for his playing career.

Now, if he had just turned down a coaching role with us for those reasons he'd have been wrong and you'd have a point.

Anyway, I like the club and hope Goodwin can turn things round. Great effort against Aberdeen last night.

Eyrie
03-10-2020, 10:20 AM
Ok we have bought there best player but lets not go down this arrogant big club route lets leave that rubbish to Hearts.St Mirren needed the money we get a good player and we move on.Remember we hate the big club senario when Celtic and Rangers take our players so its hypicritical to act the same way towards St.Mirren.

Slight difference in that we sign players like Magennis and Nisbet for our first team and not for the bench or squad depth, but I agree about leaving out the arrogance. We're better than that.