BegbieHSC
14-07-2020, 11:27 PM
Would love us to.

Pessimist in me says he’ll be away south of the border though ☹️

tonyrougier123
15-07-2020, 06:05 AM
Would love us to.

Pessimist in me says he’ll be away south of the border though ☹️

I hope the boys in recruitment are aware of his availability,would be some signing,even with the rightback options we have.don't think sdg is reliable to count in there based on injuries.and james is being moved on if an offer comes in.would be a huge player for us,and definitely the right type.

Nicho87
15-07-2020, 06:36 AM
Personally don’t get the big fuss over him. Saw him up close for Scotland v Russia and he was awful that night, personally I’d prefer Naismith

bingo70
15-07-2020, 06:51 AM
Personally don’t get the big fuss over him. Saw him up close for Scotland v Russia and he was awful that night, personally I’d prefer Naismith

Agreed.

He’s clearly a very steady SPFL player so in that regard i suppose I can see the attraction. Nowhere near as good as most people seem to be making out though IMO.

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2020, 07:12 AM

👍🏿

Try and get an upgrade on Naismith if possible must be a few diamonds out there

supermcginn
15-07-2020, 07:19 AM

Naismith wouldn't get near the Scotland team. Very harsh judging him against a team with multi million pound forwards .

mayo hibee
15-07-2020, 07:43 AM

That's not really a fair comparison though, if we start judging all our signings against teams of the standard of Russia we'll never sign anyone.

He would be an excellent signing at our level.

SMAXXA
15-07-2020, 07:58 AM
It’s a position that is one of the least priorities for us we are looking at other areas

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2020, 07:59 AM
Maybes give young Mackie another chance James McPake was raving about him at Dundee

HendoDelivered
15-07-2020, 08:02 AM
Maybes give young Mackie another chance James McPake was raving about him at Dundee

Mackie is a LB. O’Donnell RB.

MWHIBBIES
15-07-2020, 08:05 AM

If you are judging everyone on just one bad game, no point in getting Naismith either.

O'Donnell is a great player, always done well against us and dominates the right side. Should be getting him in if we can.

Souter96Mac
15-07-2020, 08:06 AM
It’s a position that is one of the least priorities for us we are looking at other areas

Agreed. He would be an upgrade at RB, but I'd rather we looked at LB first.

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2020, 08:11 AM
Mackie is a LB. O’Donnell RB.

We’ve got McGinn 😃

number9dream
15-07-2020, 08:12 AM
There will be a load a free agents who may have to settle for a lower wage than they were expecting back in January, but RB is far from a priority for us in these straightened times.
I'd be surprised to see any more new faces come in before we move a few on.

JammyDoidger
15-07-2020, 08:17 AM
Get rid of James and bring O'Donnell In, he would be an ideal signing for us, long term too.

easty
15-07-2020, 08:34 AM

That's my thoughts on it too.

He's a decent player, but would I want to bring in someone on what would be a fairly big wage for us, when we already have plenty right backs? Nah.

bingo70
15-07-2020, 08:34 AM
Naismith wouldn't get near the Scotland team. Very harsh judging him against a team with multi million pound forwards .

I know this will sound harsh but I don’t think O’Donnell would have got near the Scotland team if it wasn’t a problem position and his former club manager being the national team boss at the time. I think Clarke hoped he’d be a relatively safe option if not spectacular, I don’t think it really worked though. I don’t think he was very good on his other games for Scotland either tbh although I can’t remember who they (or it) were against.

IMO if Naismith had been playing for Killie when Steve Clarke was there and then got the Scotland job there’s every chance he could have had a call up for the same reasons O’Donnell did.

I reserve the right to backtrack completely if we do sign him however I personally don’t think he’s as good as people make out on here.

we are hibs
15-07-2020, 08:41 AM
I cant say hes ever really stood out to me. Is he better going forward or defending? We could really do with full backs can help stop the ridiculous amount of crosses that went into our box last season. Between that and players just waltzing through the midfield without being tracked (hopefully Gogic helps now) were the 2 big problems for me last season. Going forward we are fine.

H18 SFR
15-07-2020, 08:49 AM
I know this will sound harsh but I don’t think O’Donnell would have got near the Scotland team if it wasn’t a problem position and his former club manager being the national team boss at the time. I think Clarke hoped he’d be a relatively safe option if not spectacular, I don’t think it really worked though. I don’t think he was very good on his other games for Scotland either tbh although I can’t remember who they (or it) were against.

IMO if Naismith had been playing for Killie when Steve Clarke was there and then got the Scotland job there’s every chance he could have had a call up for the same reasons O’Donnell did.

I reserve the right to backtrack completely if we do sign him however I personally don’t think he’s as good as people make out on here.

O’Donnell was a mainstay under McLeish.

Scottie
15-07-2020, 09:02 AM
We'd be better signing Daniel O'Donnell at least we'd get a tune out of him.

bingo70
15-07-2020, 09:04 AM
O’Donnell was a mainstay under McLeish.

Just checked and mainstay is pushing it a bit is it not? Was he not called up for that daft South American tour that we struggled to get 11 bodies for.

Saying that though, the general point you are making is right, I thought it was Clarke that called him up but it was McLeish so I stand corrected. Still don’t think he’s that good though.

Since452
15-07-2020, 09:06 AM
He's not somebody that's stood out to me in all honesty

CapitalGreen
15-07-2020, 09:10 AM
If being a Scotland regular is a pre-requisite for a place in our team then we require a whole new defence.

H18 SFR
15-07-2020, 09:21 AM
Just checked and mainstay is pushing it a bit is it not? Was he not called up for that daft South American tour that we struggled to get 11 bodies for.

Saying that though, the general point you are making is right, I thought it was Clarke that called him up but it was McLeish so I stand corrected. Still don’t think he’s that good though.

He only didn’t play once under McLeish when available for selection. He missed two games when injured if I recall correctly. If he wasn’t a mainstay then he certainly was a regular under McLeish.

DTS
15-07-2020, 10:15 AM
Stephen O’Donnell has been comfortably the best right back in the league defensively the last 3 seasons. Not as effective as tavernier going forward but a better defender. He would be an excellent signing for us and is head and shoulders above any of our current 2, that being said I don’t think it’s a position we need to recruit in but if the chance comes take it. The reason I say I don’t think we need it is I expect us to play 3-5-2 with boyle at RWB and drey Wright can play there too. If we play a flat 4 you have McGinn and I actually think gray might be fit this season as he’s been allowed a long rehab with the break etc.

Do we need O’Donnell/ a new right back urgently? No

If we get the opportunity and it’s affordable? Do it 100%

Diclonius
15-07-2020, 10:45 AM
Didn't realise he was a free agent. Sign him, absolutely.

JimBHibees
15-07-2020, 10:48 AM
Didn't realise he was a free agent. Sign him, absolutely.

Agree would be a good signing no doubt.

Ray_
15-07-2020, 10:54 AM
Stephen O’Donnell has been comfortably the best right back in the league defensively the last 3 seasons. Not as effective as tavernier going forward but a better defender. He would be an excellent signing for us and is head and shoulders above any of our current 2, that being said I don’t think it’s a position we need to recruit in but if the chance comes take it. The reason I say I don’t think we need it is I expect us to play 3-5-2 with boyle at RWB and drey Wright can play there too. If we play a flat 4 you have McGinn and I actually think gray might be fit this season as he’s been allowed a long rehab with the break etc.

Do we need O’Donnell/ a new right back urgently? No

If we get the opportunity and it’s affordable? Do it 100%

Spot on, he is easily the best right-back I've seen operate in our league for the last couple of years.

Big_Franck
15-07-2020, 11:10 AM
I'd imagine he'll be off to the english championship but if we can afford it we should be trying to get him. He'd be a significant improvement on any right back we have. We also need to be improving the left back position.

Onceinawhile
15-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Get rid of James and bring O'Donnell In, he would be an ideal signing for us, long term too.

He's 28, I wouldn't class that as long term tbh.

He's on his last big contract and I'm sure he'll get paid more by someone who isn't us.

Unseen work
15-07-2020, 01:23 PM
Would be a very good signing and as someone else said, he completely dominated the right hand side of the pitch.

Him and Boyle on the same side would be unbelievable.

One of the best right backs in the league. Strong, athletic, tall, good going forward and good defensively.

hibeejeebies
15-07-2020, 02:26 PM
Agreed. He would be an upgrade at RB, but I'd rather we looked at LB first.

Given that we've indicated a preference for using the Scottish market, are Folk with better knowledge than me aware of any standout names that could come in and strengthen us in this position? Or will we go with Lewis, Mackie or Doig for this season?

Heard the young guy Harvie from Ayr mentioned but not a lot else.

04Sauzee
15-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Given that we've indicated a preference for using the Scottish market, are Folk with better knowledge than me aware of any standout names that could come in and strengthen us in this position? Or will we go with Lewis, Mackie or Doig for this season?

Lewis Strapp at Morton only because the child in me always gufaws when he gest subbed on 🙃

oneone73
15-07-2020, 02:45 PM

He signed for MK Dons, I think.

Dazzjw1875
15-07-2020, 05:49 PM
I don't think he is all that great, fair enough he plays for Scotland but that's nowt to shout about as the rest are pretty average.. if any we should go for Grimmer always loked the look of him mobile and always looks to have a decent engine to roam up and down the park multiple times a game..

04Sauzee
15-07-2020, 05:53 PM
I don't think he is all that great, fair enough he plays for Scotland but that's nowt to shout about as the rest are pretty average.. if any we should go for Grimmer always loked the look of him mobile and always looks to have a decent engine to roam up and down the park multiple times a game..

Is that the boy who has just been promoted with Wycombe? Probably fancy a shot at the championship

Iggy Pope
15-07-2020, 05:55 PM
Lewis Strapp at Morton only because the child in me always gufaws when he gest subbed on 🙃

He’s a stick on for the Arabs.

CMurdoch
15-07-2020, 05:59 PM

Worthy of applause although you have lost 90% of Proclaimers obsessed hibs.net :wink:

Iggy Pope
15-07-2020, 06:29 PM
Worthy of applause although you have lost 90% of Proclaimers obsessed hibs.net :wink:

Shame really.

my left peg
15-07-2020, 07:00 PM
He’s a stick on for the Arabs.Love it!

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
15-07-2020, 07:15 PM

90% of us don't need no Arab strap 😋

Springbank
15-07-2020, 07:44 PM
Ironic that the Belle & Sebastian fiddler wore a 1970s classic Hibs top, playing "The Boy With The Arab Strap" onstage at Glastonbury ✊

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MK_t30aKYPU

Smartie
15-07-2020, 08:57 PM
Ironic that the Belle & Sebastian fiddler wore a 1970s classic Hibs top, playing "The Boy With The Arab Strap" onstage at Glastonbury ✊

He used to post on here quite frequently, not seen him on for a while though.

hibee1993
15-07-2020, 09:50 PM
He’s training with Hamilton! Most likely waiting on English season finishing.

Is It On....
15-07-2020, 11:20 PM

Brilliant..

CMurdoch
15-07-2020, 11:46 PM

Nice Belle End Sabastian clip

Peevemor
16-07-2020, 05:28 AM

A bit of a smart-arsed comment given that the item in question existed in it's own right long before both the song and the group.

RIP Bestie
16-07-2020, 05:35 AM

Ooft. Is that supposed to be a serious testimonial?

Since452
16-07-2020, 05:45 AM

I often wonder what people's opinions on the Proclaimers would be on here if they were Jambos. They are horrific

BILLYHIBS
16-07-2020, 05:46 AM
Ooft. Is that supposed to be a serious testimonial?

We should be looking at young players be it at the club or outwith it in the Scottish market building for the future

I am meh about O’Donnell as he has never really impressed me for Killie or Scotland

Probably pie in the sky anyway as our limited budget must be close to being done

James McPake comes across as a decent guy knowledgeable about the game and a hibby

I never said he was Fergie :greengrin

In Jack Ross we trust

Peevemor
16-07-2020, 06:04 AM
I often wonder what people's opinions on the Proclaimers would be on here if they were Jambos. They are horrific

There are Hearts' supporters who like them.

You may not like them, but who are you to decide that they're horrific?

04Sauzee
16-07-2020, 07:25 AM

I bought their first album the day after seeing them sing Throw The R Away on TV I never knew they were Hibees and I pretty much love loads of there stuff

weecounty hibby
16-07-2020, 09:07 AM
Do you think that the millions of record sales and sold out tours are all down to Hibs fans? I know folk who can't stand football who like them. Also Jambos who like them as well.

Peevemor
16-07-2020, 09:11 AM
I bought their first album the day after seeing them sing Throw The R Away on TV I never knew they were Hibees and I pretty much love loads of there stuff

On the Tube on channel 4?

MWHIBBIES
16-07-2020, 09:23 AM

Some good songs, some rubbish ones. Like the vast majority of bands. Definitely not horrific. Not every band is Led Zeppelin.

CMurdoch
16-07-2020, 10:58 AM

I remember seeing them do that song on on the Tube and thinking it was great. A political caledonian Everly Brothers if you will.

Like me they are now fat old guys but in that 1987 broadcast they caught the ear and eye.
Here is that early nervous performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnnyDDldRn8

CMurdoch
16-07-2020, 11:25 AM
90% of us don't need no Arab strap 😋

:tee hee:

Eyrie
16-07-2020, 06:06 PM

Certainly not my cup of tea either.

matty_f
16-07-2020, 06:07 PM

Green Goblin on here. :wink:

04Sauzee
16-07-2020, 06:11 PM
On the Tube on channel 4?

It may have been but im sure it was Ben Eltons Friday night live becuase I rember getting of the bus in Princess Street and going into Virgin on the way to Easter Road to buy the Album 😁

Peevemor
16-07-2020, 06:32 PM
It may have been but im sure it was Ben Eltons Friday night live becuase I rember getting of the bus in Princess Street and going into Virgin on the way to Easter Road to buy the Album [emoji16]This is the one I was speaking about. I still remember it as well as other "Tube" debuts. It was 'a great programme.

https://youtu.be/xnnyDDldRn8

Iggy Pope
16-07-2020, 06:51 PM
A bit of a smart-arsed comment given that the item in question existed in it's own right long before both the song and the group.

Jeez.

Iggy Pope
16-07-2020, 06:53 PM
Some good songs, some rubbish ones. Like the vast majority of bands. Definitely not horrific. Not every band is Led Zeppelin.

Thank ****. They’re horrific.

Peevemor
16-07-2020, 07:22 PM
Jeez.So you agree that the majority on here like the Proclaimers and have no other culture?

MWHIBBIES
16-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Thank ****. They’re horrific.

This is obvious trolling, no one is that silly.

Inconsequential
16-07-2020, 07:52 PM
I would like to interject here...:greengrin Looking back at that clip now I would say that is not the Proclaimers finest moment. But at the time it was great and similar to what the previous poster said I too went and bought the LP at the first opportunity. SOL however is a great song and appeals to all young and old and for it to be associated with Hibs is great imo. I also liked Led Zeppelin in my youth.:agree:

UPDATE: I wonder if Stephen O'Donnell likes the Proclaimers? Or Led Zep for that matter.

Iggy Pope
16-07-2020, 07:54 PM
So you agree that the majority on here like the Proclaimers and have no other culture?

Come on. The poster never intended that you know it. If anyone’s being smart arsed it’s you.

Peevemor
16-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Come on. The poster never intended that you know it. If anyone’s being smart arsed it’s you.Sorry, I'm not the one that had a dig at the majority of the membership on here.

Inconsequential
16-07-2020, 08:06 PM
My heart was broken, my heart was broken, sorrow, sorrow, sorrow.

Iggy Pope
16-07-2020, 08:12 PM
Sorry, I'm not the one that had a dig at the majority of the membership on here.

He can have a dig if he likes, what do majorities have to do with anything Stalin? He was having a wee laugh around popular music in response to my smart arse pun, and you alone seem to be taking offence on behalf of the masses. Let’s not drag it in to another one of your three pagers arguing the toss about absolutely nothing.

Back on track. Stephen O’ Donnell is jobless and skint by the way. He said so on the telly.

CMurdoch
16-07-2020, 08:29 PM
This is the one I was speaking about. I still remember it as well as other "Tube" debuts. It was 'a great programme.

https://youtu.be/xnnyDDldRn8

Glad u could make it. See post 57 on page 2.

ekhibee
16-07-2020, 08:30 PM
You can't really compare The Proclaimers with Led Zep. I've seen both of them live, and both were really good. But 2 completely different music genres. I would say I've never seen another guitarist as good as Jimmy Page at a live gig, never. I probably never will. But The Proclaimers provide everything you could want at a gig IMO. If you were trying to make a footballing comparison, it would be like comparing Maradonna with Kenny Dalglish. Both really good strikers, one world class, the other really good. And Scottish.

CMurdoch
16-07-2020, 08:31 PM
So you agree that the majority on here like the Proclaimers and have no other culture?

Your twistin' my melon man.
The majority on here think the Stone Roses are the best thing ever and wish they had been at Spike Island.

Iggy and a few of the other guys are musical aficionado's and on occasion we trade musical references.

I admit to being a musical smart arse and there is a football forum culture stereotype which I was having a bit of fun with but nothing more than that.

Peevemor
16-07-2020, 08:31 PM
Glad u could make it. See post 57 on page 2.Just checking that you're paying attention.

Radium
16-07-2020, 08:40 PM
Number of locally held beliefs on this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
16-07-2020, 08:55 PM
You can't really compare The Proclaimers with Led Zep. I've seen both of them live, and both were really good. But 2 completely different music genres. I would say I've never seen another guitarist as good as Jimmy Page at a live gig, never. I probably never will. But The Proclaimers provide everything you could want at a gig IMO. If you were trying to make a footballing comparison, it would be like comparing Maradonna with Kenny Dalglish. Both really good strikers, one world class, the other really good. And Scottish.

I've seen both as well. Pretty sure I've seen better guitarists than Jimmy Page though :wink:.
Who is this Maradonna you speak of?

I need to get rid of Colin Murdoch as my avatar. Can't be a smart arse and have him ruining it by peering oot from the side of ma posts.

HNA1
16-07-2020, 09:04 PM
Thread closed - gone way off topic.