PDA

View Full Version : Tam McCourt; NOT tabloid nonsense related

Lester B
13-07-2020, 12:34 PM
OK, first things first. This has absolutely nothing to do with the DR redundancy story, a thread growing arms and legs elsewhere, at all. The only connection is a train of thought which led me to thinking that this a story I’d always meant to share here and I think we all need to read something realistic but hopeful in these times.

My dad, a lifelong Hibby, died in April 2012. We wanted to have the funeral reception at ER and booked it. That was on the Monday. The previous day we were playing at home but I needed to drop off a couple of cases of fizz to toast my dad the next day and was advised to drop them off early as later would get too busy. Parked the car and went into reception saying I was dropping the bottles off as agreed for the funeral reception. They said I needed to wait a few minutes so I said I’d just pop outside and would be back soon. My head is still spinning from the events of that week.

A man who was in reception at the same time follows me out. He introduces himself as Tam McCourt and offers his condolences and we strike up a conversation. We talk about how my dad loved Hibs, about our shared experiences of bereavement, of grieving and how difficult the days following the death are. I feel normal for the first time that week. He’s never met me before but I realise that I am talking to a man of a rare compassion, kindness and empathy who is willing to reach out to a stranger in obvious distress. I have no idea how long we spoke for but as we part shaking hands I say ‘So I hope we win today’. He nods and says ‘I hope so too’. Understated but understood.

I’m sure this incident isn’t etched in his memory at all but that won’t ever leave me and I will remain in debt to that man. It wasn’t a massive gesture but it was incredibly important on a human level which means a massive impact. They say recovery from grieving doesn’t start until after the funeral is over with but my recovery started in the car park at ER. My old man would have approved.

If you think this is overly sentimental fair enough but no apologies from me on that. Thanks for taking the time to read it

04Sauzee
13-07-2020, 12:37 PM
Glad you felt you could share this, sometimes it's the little things that are the big things 💚

happiehibbie
13-07-2020, 12:39 PM
Tam Is good Guy, known him a long time.

Daniel 1875
13-07-2020, 12:40 PM
Lovely story - thanks for sharing.

Power
13-07-2020, 12:43 PM
Thanks for sharing that. I appreciate sories like these - powerful and provide great perspective.

Lester B
13-07-2020, 12:51 PM
Tam Is good Guy, known him a long time.

Never really got the chance to say thank you properly as the full impact of our chat only became clearer in the following weeks though it made an immediate difference.

If you get the chance please pass on this; Thank You!

Bearders
13-07-2020, 12:52 PM
OK, first things first. This has absolutely nothing to do with the DR redundancy story, a thread growing arms and legs elsewhere, at all. The only connection is a train of thought which led me to thinking that this a story I’d always meant to share here and I think we all need to read something realistic but hopeful in these times.

My dad, a lifelong Hibby, died in April 2012. We wanted to have the funeral reception at ER and booked it. That was on the Monday. The previous day we were playing at home but I needed to drop off a couple of cases of fizz to toast my dad the next day and was advised to drop them off early as later would get too busy. Parked the car and went into reception saying I was dropping the bottles off as agreed for the funeral reception. They said I needed to wait a few minutes so I said I’d just pop outside and would be back soon. My head is still spinning from the events of that week.

A man who was in reception at the same time follows me out. He introduces himself as Tam McCourt and offers his condolences and we strike up a conversation. We talk about how my dad loved Hibs, about our shared experiences of bereavement, of grieving and how difficult the days following the death are. I feel normal for the first time that week. He’s never met me before but I realise that I am talking to a man of a rare compassion, kindness and empathy who is willing to reach out to a stranger in obvious distress. I have no idea how long we spoke for but as we part shaking hands I say ‘So I hope we win today’. He nods and says ‘I hope so too’. Understated but understood.

I’m sure this incident isn’t etched in his memory at all but that won’t ever leave me and I will remain in debt to that man. It wasn’t a massive gesture but it was incredibly important on a human level which means a massive impact. They say recovery from grieving doesn’t start until after the funeral is over with but my recovery started in the car park at ER. My old man would have approved.

If you think this is overly sentimental fair enough but no apologies from me on that. Thanks for taking the time to read it

Thanks for posting Lester. Tam most certainly remembers the meeting you had. Tam lost his own Dad 2 weeks after your sad loss. "Compassion, kindness, empathy and reaching out in times of trouble" - this resonates very strongly with my own family. Those behaviours and many more are how we know Tam.

Lester B
13-07-2020, 01:04 PM
Thanks for posting Lester. Tam most certainly remembers the meeting you had. Tam lost his own Dad 2 weeks after your sad loss. "Compassion, kindness, empathy and reaching out in times of trouble" - this resonates very strongly with my own family. Those behaviours and many more are how we know Tam.

He didn't even mention his own Dad was ill as I recall. A remarkable man; he was going through strife himself and still took the time to make sure I was OK. My admiration goes even higher. Thanks for sharing that info with me. I really appreciate it

Sammy7nil
13-07-2020, 01:07 PM
Nice story I hope Hibs look after Tam whatever the decision is on his employment.

EastThomasSTboy
13-07-2020, 01:32 PM
Nice story I hope Hibs look after Tam whatever the decision is on his employment..

A lot of Hibs fans wont realise this but Tam and his wife Joyce can rightly be called the "Beating Heart of our Club"

They look after everyone who comes through their doors, especially all the younger Academy Kids, and effectively become Mother & father figures to quite a few of them.

When these players leave ( quite a few going on to bigger & better things!!) its always Tam & Joyce they look for when they Return to ER, inevitably bringing a small gift with them.

They are also one of the first points of contact when Trialists, future signings, arrive, offerings "biscuits", kindness and usually a bit of good-natured banter if the "trialists" loyalties lie elsewhere.:wink::wink:.

They have always portrayed a Positive image of Hibernian FC, and it seems strange to hear talk of their possible redundancies being bandied about!!

After all, You cant really make the position of Kit Person redundant, can YOU!!! ( as every team needs them, pandemic or not!!) so maybe there is more to these rumours than we currently know.!!!!

Hopefully it will all come out in the Wash.:na na:

:flag:GGTTHKM (AKW).

Mon Dieu4
13-07-2020, 02:01 PM
Tam is a great guy, other than all he does for Hibs he used to let me and my pals play football on Wardie playing fields when he was groundsman there

The 90+2
13-07-2020, 02:11 PM
Thanks for sharing mate 💚

Lester B
13-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Thanks for sharing mate 💚

A pleasure bud. As I said always meant to put something like this up. Now as good a time as any.

The 90+2
13-07-2020, 02:43 PM
A pleasure bud. As I said always meant to put something like this up. Now as good a time as any.

Definitely!

HendoDelivered
13-07-2020, 02:58 PM
Lovely read that mate. Thanks for posting!

iwasthere1972
13-07-2020, 03:13 PM
Grew up with him. He was my next door neighbour and even although we are almost the same age I babysat him and his daughters.

Spoke to him a couple of times outside Easter Road pre match and comes across as a nice guy.

The Harp
13-07-2020, 03:29 PM
That was a fine tribute to Tam by Lester B. Tam is obviously very highly regarded by many, not just for the job he and Joyce have done at ER over the years, but for being the type of people they are.

Several years ago I attended a friend's funeral tea/wake at ER. Tam was in attendance helping out, and when he was asked if it was possible for us to have a wee look behind the scenes, he duly took us on an impromptu tour of the dressing rooms and onto the pitch, where we gave a rendition of Glory Glory to the Hi-bees in honour of my late friend. This kind gesture was much appreciated by all, particularly the family.

I hope the Club have at least arranged a generous severance package for such devoted employees.

stalbanshibby
13-07-2020, 05:49 PM

Top post. Thanks for sharing this. I don't know whether you saw 'Marvellous' the other night about Nello the kit man for Stoke City in the days of Lou Macari? Touched a similar vein - kit man as beating heart of the club. I don't know Tam but I know he's been around ER for donkey's years. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Pretty Boy
13-07-2020, 05:55 PM
Guys like Tam make football clubs. They sort little things out for the players, there's a reason why the players want him in cup winning photos, and fans can relate to them.

Owners, CEOs, managers and players come and go but most clubs have a few people in the background who go about their business and keep things ticking over and just 'get it' . The story in the OP is lovely and I'm not surprised at all by it. Hibs have a core of people like Tam throughout the club and I hope that whatever happens they are all looked after.

O'Rourke3
13-07-2020, 07:22 PM
Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

McD
13-07-2020, 07:56 PM

mate, this is one of the most heart warming things I’ve read in a long time, tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing, and reminding us all that we are each capable of giving something priceless and immeasurable to one another

:aok:

Dalkeith Hibee
13-07-2020, 07:57 PM
My old man passed away in December and knew Tam well after helping him out when Tam was the groundsman.

My old man visited him at ER around 2007 and remembers a funny story about Tam’s wife trying to offer John Collins and the players some of her home baking before Collins took some of the players on a gruelling gym session. I could just imagine Collins reactions.

I had the pleasure of meeting Tam a couple of times when I was younger and he was an absolute gent.

Whatever happens I hope the club look after him. He is a Hibs legend no doubt

nickwhibs
13-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Tam is a great guy, other than all he does for Hibs he used to let me and my pals play football on Wardie playing fields when he was groundsman there

Yeah I remember him well from Wardie from my days with Dunedin boys club. He was always a friendly face and making the lads laugh. I’m sure he showed me round and introduced me to everyone on my first training session as he knew I was new. Great to hear stories about him like the OP

flash
13-07-2020, 08:05 PM
Just to echo all of the above Tam and Joyce are magnificent Hibs people who deserve the best treatment whatever happens.

matty_f
13-07-2020, 08:09 PM
Just to echo all of the above Tam and Joyce are magnificent Hibs people who deserve the best treatment whatever happens.

Agreed.

Bostonhibby
13-07-2020, 08:10 PM
That was a great read and really just in keeping with everything I've heard about Tam down the years.

For that which he brings to the Hibs family that you can't put a £ sign on he should be in and around the club until he decides it's time to go.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

stu in nottingham
13-07-2020, 11:59 PM

Really lovely story, thanks for sharing.

Just over six years ago I lost my partner in tragic circumstances. A visit to East Mains was very kindly arranged for me and i was taken there for a tour. Tam, along with one or two others came to join us and showed us around. He was chatty, light-hearted and very friendly - probably just what I needed at that difficult time. Before we left he disappeared into the changing room and brought me out one of the players' track suit tops as a gift which has pride of place.

I've only good memories or Tam McCourt.

lyonhibs
14-07-2020, 08:05 AM
Surely to goodness Tam McCourt isn't getting the boot from ER? You'd be as well ripping the pitch up, he's been around at ER for as long as I can remember, absolutely part of the furniture and a massive part of the club IMO.

FilipinoHibs
14-07-2020, 08:17 AM
I remember when Hibs went on the Latapy tour of Trinidad. Tam was so moved by the poverty of the children he wanted to do something for them.

dp00
16-07-2020, 12:49 PM
As everyone has said these folk are the beating heart of any club, these are generally the people players remember , rangers are similar with jimmy bell they are the folk who just get the club. I would be willing to bet that he puts in some amount of hours for hibs and he certainly won’t be anywhere near the highest paid of our non playing football staff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andyf5
06-05-2022, 05:57 AM
As everyone has said these folk are the beating heart of any club, these are generally the people players remember , rangers are similar with jimmy bell they are the folk who just get the club. I would be willing to bet that he puts in some amount of hours for hibs and he certainly won’t be anywhere near the highest paid of our non playing football staff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing the Rangers players tributes to their kitman last night and the motivation it give them made me reflect on our clubs treatment of our kitman. Now that Covid is mainly over maybe it's time to recognise the long serving staff who left in some way.