PDA

View Full Version : Manchester City Euro Ban Lifted

Keith_M
13-07-2020, 09:04 AM
Apparently their appeal has succeeded (https://news.sky.com/story/manchester-citys-champions-league-ban-lifted-12027462)

What a total farce

:rolleyes:

Since452
13-07-2020, 09:05 AM
FFP is the most pointless thing in football

Keith_M
13-07-2020, 09:06 AM

:agree:

Although maybe the equal most pointless, along with the Fit and Proper Person rule

flash
13-07-2020, 09:08 AM
Maybe a wee warning that what appears to be an obvious decision might not turn out that way when viewed through other eyes.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2020, 09:10 AM
The rule breaking is bad but the human rights violations by the owners are much worse. That is something that should be looked into.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-07-2020, 09:19 AM
I know why people switch off. What a monster created. Power, corruption and lies.

poolman
13-07-2020, 09:21 AM
That's just wrong

hibsbollah
13-07-2020, 09:24 AM
Awful news for sporting competition. Agnellis European Super league is the obvious next step.

Just_Jimmy
13-07-2020, 09:34 AM
They let PSG away with it and both the Spanish giants regularly exploit rules.

Just add 10-15 mill onto whatever huge transfer you complete as a 'cheat tax'.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

ekhibee
13-07-2020, 09:51 AM
The rule breaking is bad but the human rights violations by the owners are much worse. That is something that should be looked into.

But that's got nothing to do with football. Do you honestly think that Man City are the only club in the EPL to have an owner with highly dubious credentials? If that's the case, Chelsea, amongst others, should have been investigated a long, long time before the present owner bought Man City.

weecounty hibby
13-07-2020, 10:12 AM
No one should be surprised at this. Money talks in possibly the most corrupt sport in the world

scoopyboy
13-07-2020, 10:19 AM
No one should be surprised at this. Money talks in possibly the most corrupt sport in the world

I hear you but would have to go some to beat boxing for corrupt, and that goes back for a long, long time.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2020, 10:36 AM
But that's got nothing to do with football. Do you honestly think that Man City are the only club in the EPL to have an owner with highly dubious credentials? If that's the case, Chelsea, amongst others, should have been investigated a long, long time before the present owner bought Man City.

Of course not. I didn't say it should be looked at by UEFA or FIFA...

Although these bodies do have the power to stop people like that becoming involved in football and using to to become richer and more powerful.

Keith_M
13-07-2020, 11:28 AM

What about the FPP rules?

I'm not sure what they actually do cover but I'm sure most of us would hope there are some kind of limits on totally evil people taking ownership of football clubs (although it doesn't really seem to be the case ATM).

p.s. I'm not singling out MCFC owners in any way.

Paul1642
13-07-2020, 02:03 PM
And people are calling Scottish football a shambles 😂

IWasThere2016
13-07-2020, 07:00 PM
FFP on paper is about not overspending but in FIFA/UEFA reality it was brought in to protect the big clubs.

After the regular CL clubs have already made their many many millions whilst the other clubs at Europa and lower get very little in comparison, bring in a new set of rules that means nobody outside of the establishment can challenge. Always was a ridiculous idea.

FIFA/UEFA love their historic favourites regardless of how they perform.

If a Super League was formed you could guarantee AC Milan would be first in line.

Hibs4185
13-07-2020, 07:24 PM
As long as they don’t investigate Ron the Con when we get into the champions league

Haymaker
13-07-2020, 07:44 PM
If a Super League was formed you could guarantee AC Milan would be first in line.

IIRC a few years back there were calls for previous champions to be in every year, after years of the Milans, Man Utd and Liverpool (among others) missed out.

Until teams like Nottingham Forest and Bucharest etc started chirping up. Suddenly the idea died!

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2020, 08:38 PM
IIRC a few years back there were calls for previous champions to be in every year, after years of the Milans, Man Utd and Liverpool (among others) missed out.

Until teams like Nottingham Forest and Bucharest etc started chirping up. Suddenly the idea died!

Compared to Milan, Forest are a tiny club. Not really comparable at all. As much as a European league is a really stupid idea, Milan would rightfully be invited and Forest rightfully wouldn't.

jacomo
13-07-2020, 09:36 PM

Yep, and Man City are too powerful to suffer serious punishment.

HoboHarry
13-07-2020, 11:32 PM
Compared to Milan, Forest are a tiny club. Not really comparable at all. As much as a European league is a really stupid idea, Milan would rightfully be invited and Forest rightfully wouldn't.
Saying any club is tiny is simply uttering a personal opinion. The point was at the time that previous winners should be included and Forest did that twice. Unlike Man City who of course have never won it.......

Keith_M
14-07-2020, 10:48 AM

I think you might have missed the point of the post you were replying to.

MWHIBBIES
14-07-2020, 10:55 AM
Saying any club is tiny is simply uttering a personal opinion. The point was at the time that previous winners should be included and Forest did that twice. Unlike Man City who of course have never won it.......

The point of the European super league is to make money. Forest wouldn't make the top 100 clubs when it came to making money for the European super league. Sure, Forest would be a nice, sentimental addition but that isn't the purpose.

The European super league is wrong in every way of course, I very much dislike the idea.

Compared to AC Milan, Forest are a tiny club. That isn't an opinion really.

MWHIBBIES
14-07-2020, 10:57 AM
I think you might have missed the point of the post you were replying to.

It was never about previous champions. It was about the huge clubs making money by playing eachother all the time.

Keith_M
14-07-2020, 11:11 AM
It was never about previous champions. It was about the huge clubs making money by playing eachother all the time.

The guy was talking about the proposal to perpetually have former winners included in every competition, until they realised that some smaller (less popular) clubs would also be included.

The fact that would have ruined the plan of including the same massive clubs every year was exactly the point he was making.

I'm struggling to see why you're still arguing about it.

:confused:

Seriously, just reply to his post with a simple... "Ah, yeah, I get you now. Turns out we're on the same page with this one, cheers"...

MWHIBBIES
14-07-2020, 11:26 AM
The guy was talking about the proposal to perpetually have former winners included in every competition, until they realised that some smaller (less popular) clubs would also be included.

The fact that would have ruined the plan of including the same massive clubs every year was exactly the point he was making.

:confused:

Seriously, just reply to his post with a simple... "Ah, yeah, I get you now. Turns out we're on the same page with this one, cheers"...

Was that ever actually a proposal, though? You think the guys proposing this didn't know Forest, Hamburg and Villa existed?

I'm not arguing about anything, I'm just saying, that isn't what was actually proposed. It was always about having the clubs with the biggest draw, not the previous winners.

Thanks for your help but I'll probably just reply how I want to, mate.

hibsbollah
14-07-2020, 11:54 AM

Youre clearly not a student of posters’ previous posts :greengrin
MW could get airdropped by helicopter into the Siberian tundra hundreds of miles from civilization and still find someone with whom to argue an obscure point to death.

Its part of his unique charm.

EI255
14-07-2020, 11:56 AM
Well well well, who would have thought this might be overturned???!!!

Money bags ALWAYS wins.

Makes the EPL even more of a plastic playground. Not for me.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
14-07-2020, 01:17 PM
MW could get airdropped by helicopter into the Siberian tundra hundreds of miles from civilization and still find someone with whom to argue an obscure point to death.

Almost like it takes 2 people to argue, though? I only reply because they reply.

Anyway, try to keep it on topic for once, pal :aok:

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2020, 01:44 PM
So European minnows City will get another chance to try and win it.

Keith_M
14-07-2020, 02:02 PM

That's a very good point.

:greengrin

Smartie
14-07-2020, 03:08 PM
The point of the European super league is to make money. Forest wouldn't make the top 100 clubs when it came to making money for the European super league. Sure, Forest would be a nice, sentimental addition but that isn't the purpose.

The European super league is wrong in every way of course, I very much dislike the idea.

Compared to AC Milan, Forest are a tiny club. That isn't an opinion really.

Compared to AC Milan, Man City are a tiny club.

If some Middle Eastern billionaire bought Forest, ploughed enough millions in to them that they got amongst the top few teams in England again, had fanboys all over the world wearing their tops whilst they watched their games on their smartphones, salivating over the megastars whilst calling themselves Forest fans, I'd be surprised if Forest didn't very quickly find themselves dining at the same table as Milan.

It's not really about the size of club - it's who has the money.

Which I think is possibly part of the point you are making?

MWHIBBIES
14-07-2020, 03:16 PM
Compared to AC Milan, Man City are a tiny club.

If some Middle Eastern billionaire bought Forest, ploughed enough millions in to them that they got amongst the top few teams in England again, had fanboys all over the world wearing their tops whilst they watched their games on their smartphones, salivating over the megastars whilst calling themselves Forest fans, I'd be surprised if Forest didn't very quickly find themselves dining at the same table as Milan.

It's not really about the size of club - it's who has the money.

Which I think is possibly part of the point you are making?

Its who can generate the money in this regard. City and Milan both have fans all over the world.

Obviously City are about as plastic as it gets but they are a big draw, especially with Pep.