PDA

View Full Version : Kit man and other redundancies

Pages : [1] 2

AugustaHibs
12-07-2020, 09:48 PM
Daily record tonight reporting that Tam McCourt has been made redundant. How does everyone feel about all this? First of all I think it’s bad craic considering the guy has been there for so long. At first I thought the media were out to get us but the longer theres no communication from the club I’m not surprised. Pretty poor tbh.

B.H.F.C
12-07-2020, 09:53 PM
Why is it bad craic or poor just because he’s been there for years?

04Sauzee
12-07-2020, 09:56 PM
Pretty sure this has been gone over to death. Hibs will do what they have to do to survive and ensure they are competitive on the park.

It's the same in every business just now. I'm currently in employment but I'm not daft enough to know that could change at any time and I have been with my current employer for many many years.

EAZY-ME
12-07-2020, 09:58 PM
Gutted ...definitely one of our own

Ozyhibby
12-07-2020, 09:59 PM
The business is being restructured with every thing going into the first team. Can’t do that without making changes. We have very high costs compared with the likes of Motherwell and they are managing to finish above us in the league. We have to do whatever it takes to make our first team the priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H18 SFR
12-07-2020, 10:00 PM
Feel sorry for anyone who loses their job.

Vault Boy
I don't think it's fair to speculate until the consultation with staff is over and appropriate announcements are made. Obviously there's going to be nothing like the 70 odd redundancies being touted by red tops and Jambos, but there will be some necessary decisions made for jobs that will no longer exist as part of our post-pandemic budget.

Until then, I think we should be focusing on the football elements of the club, rather than engaging in the bull**** from the DR and the Sun.

Any staff that unfortunately lose their jobs will have my fullest sympathy, however.

AugustaHibs
Why is it bad craic or poor just because he’s been there for years?

Loyalty. But I’m also more meaning the total lack of communication from hibs

CapitalGreen
12-07-2020, 10:01 PM
Daily record tonight reporting that Tam McCourt has been made redundant. How does everyone feel about all this? First of all I think it’s bad craic considering the guy has been there for so long. At first I thought the media were out to get us but the longer theres no communication from the club I’m not surprised. Pretty poor tbh.

I’m sure this has already been explained to you but if a company is looking to make a number of redundancies it has to conduct a consultation period of a minimum of 30 days with said employees. They can’t talk publicly about those potential redundancies during that period, especially in regard to talking about specific individuals. More details here: https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/consultation

04Sauzee
12-07-2020, 10:02 PM

Hibs can't comment while the consultation process is ongoing. We won't say anything

lord bunberry
12-07-2020, 10:04 PM
Surely he’s just been laid low while the current situation plays out. The players are washing their own kit at the moment so there’s no need for a kit man, that will change soon.

CapitalGreen
12-07-2020, 10:05 PM

What information would you like Hibs to communicate about a redundancy consultation process which is supposed to be confidential?

Andy74
12-07-2020, 10:07 PM

It’s a shame when anyone loses their job. Beyond that, the kit man isn’t top of the list of the things at the club I’m very interested in.

Spike Mandela
12-07-2020, 10:10 PM
Daily Record article has no quotes not even any ‘unnamed sources’. Total guesswork.

B.H.F.C
12-07-2020, 10:12 PM
Surely he’s just been laid low while the current situation plays out. The players are washing their own kit at the moment so there’s no need for a kit man, that will change soon.

I think there was more than Tam on that side of things. Less to do with no development team etc, less people required.

Who knows, someone who has his length of service might be quite happy with redundancy (equally might not of course). It does demonstrate the scale of the cuts though.

HFC93
12-07-2020, 10:12 PM
Gutted for anyone losing their job, but the priority must be strengthening/maintaining the first team squad.

hibsbollah
12-07-2020, 10:13 PM
Anyway got a link to that 'he disnae wash his breeks that guid at hame' song?

bingo70
12-07-2020, 10:14 PM
It’s a shame when anyone loses their job. Beyond that, the kit man isn’t top of the list of the things at the club I’m very interested in.

It is a bit of a strange one though.

By all accounts it seems like a kit mans role at a football club is more than being just a kit man. He’s been in and around the first team at Hibs as far back as I can remember and is clearly a big Hibs man.

If we’re making his job redundant, who is going to do all the roles he currently does? Players aren’t going to be washing and preparing their own kits.

Like you I couldn’t really care who washes the strips but it is a bit strange we are making what appears to be a pretty essential job redundant, especially when the person in that job has been with this club for so long and is apparently a very popular figure.

Don’t really understand it but then, no reason I would as I’ve not had it explained what the plan is

Kato
12-07-2020, 10:16 PM

By all accounts it seems like a kit mans role at a football club is more than being just a kit man. He’s been in and around the first team at Hibs as far back as I can remember and is clearly a big Hibs man.

If we’re making his job redundant, who is going to do all the roles he currently does? Players aren’t going to be washing and preparing their own kits.

Like you I couldn’t really care who washes the strips but it is a bit strange we are making what appears to be a pretty essential job redundant, especially when the person in that job has been with this club for so long and is apparently a very popular figure.

Don’t really understand it but then, no reason I would as I’ve not had it explained what the plan is

What if the story is total guff and this thread is just adding to the internet noise?

Spike Mandela
12-07-2020, 10:18 PM

Are we really basing all this on THAT Daily Record article. It merely says he is one of potentially70 ‘in the frame’ for redundancy,

If there is a kernel of truth in it who’s to say he didn’t volunteer for it . Wait for the truth at least before we crucify ourselves.

AFKA5814_Hibs
12-07-2020, 10:21 PM
Many people will be getting made redundant. It's not nice, but happening at companies up and down the country. I'm sure there is loads of folks who are losing their jobs who have been at companies for many years. Hibs are no different.

Archie70
12-07-2020, 10:21 PM
Was he not originally the grounds man. Firstly at Easter road then the training centre. I think there was more to his role than a kit man.

Power
12-07-2020, 10:22 PM
I don't think it's fair to speculate until the consultation with staff is over and appropriate announcements are made. Obviously there's going to be nothing like the 70 odd redundancies being touted by red tops and Jambos, but there will be some necessary decisions made for jobs that will no longer exist as part of our post-pandemic budget.

Until then, I think we should be focusing on the football elements of the club, rather than engaging in the bull**** from the DR and the Sun.

Any staff that unfortunately lose their jobs will have my fullest sympathy, however.

These are wise words ✅

🗞 🗑

bingo70
12-07-2020, 10:22 PM
What if the story is total guff and this thread is just adding to the internet noise?

Might be.....

Given the fact it’s a story about Hibs in a national paper it’s probably to be expected that it would be discussed on a Hibs forum though.

I don’t think my post was particularly critical of Hibs? Just would find it a bit strange IF we are making what appears to be a pretty essential job redundant.

If we are, and I’m stressing the If part, then there must be a plan to replace the role he does which is a lot more than washing and preparing the kits I presume.

Bright_Hibee
12-07-2020, 10:23 PM
It's quite tone deaf to be announcing a player costing £250k with a fee paid up front while staff earning low amounts are being put through this process. I have no doubt that they will be offered the lowest legal amount in the UK. Why does it only seem to be Hibs doing this? Sorry I have found it hard to follow every other team and how they have coped with me in Canada, but who else is cutting staff like this?

CapitalGreen
12-07-2020, 10:27 PM
It's quite tone deaf to be announcing a player costing £250k with a fee paid up front while staff earning low amounts are being put through this process. I have no doubt that they will be offered the lowest legal amount in the UK. Why does it only seem to be Hibs doing this? Sorry I have found it hard to follow every other team and how they have coped with me in Canada, but who else is cutting staff like this?

Cutting staff like what? We have no details of how many people have been made redundant in this process.

bingo70
12-07-2020, 10:29 PM
These are wise words ✅

🗞 🗑

That’s reassuring KP, thanks for chipping in.

04Sauzee
12-07-2020, 10:34 PM
These are wise words ✅

🗞 🗑

Newpaper Trash 👍

ozwoody
How old would Tam be? He was a groundsman im sure when I started going to games late 70s -early 80s. Never know, long service redundancy package (If true) may actually suit him at his time of life.

Bright_Hibee
Cutting staff like what? We have no details of how many people have been made redundant in this process.

Well 70 people are involved in discussions over redundancy. What other clubs in Scotland are putting their staff through this turmoil?

green day
12-07-2020, 10:35 PM

It would be rather surprising if this was the case, given the consultation period hasn't yet elapsed. He is at risk, like many others.

This is the article, and it actually says nothing new at all......

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hibs-axe-kitman-savage-cost-22344862?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Sammy7nil
12-07-2020, 10:37 PM
How old would Tam be? He was a groundsman im sure when I started going to games late 70s -early 80s. Never know, long service redundancy package (If true) may actually suit him at his time of life.

If he is over pension age any redundancy (if any)payable will be sweeties. Unless Hibs agree a payoff.

12-07-2020, 10:37 PM
Anyway got a link to that 'he disnae wash his breeks that guid at hame' song?

Okay, I'll do the searching for you. :cb

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?328414-Song-for-Tam-McCourt&p=5310892&viewfull=1#post5310892

04Sauzee
12-07-2020, 10:39 PM
Well 70 people are involved in discussions over redundancy. What other clubs in Scotland are putting their staff through this turmoil?

70 people are reported to be in discussions
Report by redtop and the like.
Hibs will make an announcement when they can.

If one thing we have learned is that we aren't flavour of the month with the media

B.H.F.C
12-07-2020, 10:41 PM

Clubs haven’t announced that they are doing it, it doesn’t mean it isn’t happening or going to happen. Do you really think it’s only Hibs needing to make cuts? Even Celtic and Rangers have already had deferrals in place with players for example.

CapitalGreen
12-07-2020, 10:42 PM

How do you know 70 people are in consultation over redundancy?

hibsbollah
12-07-2020, 10:43 PM
Okay, I'll do the searching for you. :cb

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?328414-Song-for-Tam-McCourt&p=5310892&viewfull=1#post5310892

:not worth

Bright_Hibee
12-07-2020, 10:52 PM
How do you know 70 people are in consultation over redundancy?

It says it in the report and I saw it mentioned earlier this weekend

Smartie
12-07-2020, 10:52 PM
I actually can't do a wash any more without thinking of the phrase "persil fumes" and Tam.

Bright_Hibee
12-07-2020, 10:54 PM

If one thing we have learned is that we aren't flavour of the month with the media

Out of interest, do you believe it? All it takes is one angry staff member to leak it to the papers. I personally don't think it looks good but I get why the club can't comment

04Sauzee
12-07-2020, 10:57 PM
Out of interest, do you believe it? All it takes is one angry staff member to leak it to the papers. I personally don't think it looks good but I get why the club can't comment

I'm not going to speculate on redundancies thanks.
Been through it so that's my last word on it until Hibs comment

Bright_Hibee
12-07-2020, 10:58 PM
Clubs haven’t announced that they are doing it, it doesn’t mean it isn’t happening or going to happen. Do you really think it’s only Hibs needing to make cuts? Even Celtic and Rangers have already had deferrals in place with players for example.

If it is happening elsewhere then why is it not in the papers? I know Hibs are seen as easy meat for journalists but a story is a story for them and employees getting made redundant at St Mirren or Hamilton would be in the news. A deferral is something we already had in place but now we have to trim more of the players salary and a lot of different staff too.

hibbysam
12-07-2020, 10:58 PM

Would you rather our club just carried on as if nothing has happened, paying everyone what they were paid previously even though our income has halved at best?

The business has to evolve with the times. These times are **** so our club needs to cut our cloth accordingly. If/when we get back to some form of normality around income then I’d expect the club to evolve again and expand areas of the club to work towards the plan Ron presented at the AGM.

PatHead
12-07-2020, 10:59 PM

There could be 70 people involved in the process with a small number of redundancies. We don't know and I think it is crass and extremely unfair on the people involved to be discussing individuals at this. Should close the thread immediately.

Kato
12-07-2020, 11:00 PM
but who else is cutting staff like this?

Cutting staff via the Daily Record? Only us, bud - only us.

04Sauzee
12-07-2020, 11:03 PM
There could be 70 people involved in the process with a small number of redundancies. We don't know and I think it is crass and extremely unfair on the people involved to be discussing individuals at this. Should close the thread immediately.

That was the point I was making

Bright_Hibee
12-07-2020, 11:07 PM
Would you rather our club just carried on as if nothing has happened, paying everyone what they were paid previously even though our income has halved at best?

The business has to evolve with the times. These times are **** so our club needs to cut our cloth accordingly. If/when we get back to some form of normality around income then I’d expect the club to evolve again and expand areas of the club to work towards the plan Ron presented at the AGM.

Obviously hard decisions need to be made but how can Hibs be presented as a community club and champion that message themselves when they have spent money on a player instead of ensuring some staff can be kept on? Us as fans fully embody and embrace it, but decisions like that just seem a bit crass from those in charge.

I want my club to survive and thrive but I want people to survive first. There is a real possibility of staff losing income and being unable to pay bills and provide for their families and I think that is very upsetting IMO

Bright_Hibee
12-07-2020, 11:09 PM
Cutting staff via the Daily Record? Only us, bud - only us.

How about you answer my genuine question instead of being a smart erse? :rolleyes:

B.H.F.C
12-07-2020, 11:11 PM
If it is happening elsewhere then why is it not in the papers? I know Hibs are seen as easy meat for journalists but a story is a story for them and employees getting made redundant at St Mirren or Hamilton would be in the news. A deferral is something we already had in place but now we have to trim more of the players salary and a lot of different staff too.

Hibs were open about starting the process. They were open about the fact that everything would be directed towards making the first team competitive. From there, it doesn’t take a genius to work out that means redundancies in other areas of the club.

It’s crazy to think that Hibs are the only club who have to make cuts. Aberdeen have reportedly agreed cuts with their players. They’ve signed Hayes but aren’t paying him a penny for a year.

hibbysam
12-07-2020, 11:15 PM
Obviously hard decisions need to be made but how can Hibs be presented as a community club and champion that message themselves when they have spent money on a player instead of ensuring some staff can be kept on? Us as fans fully embody and embrace it, but decisions like that just seem a bit crass from those in charge.

I want my club to survive and thrive but I want people to survive first. There is a real possibility of staff losing income and being unable to pay bills and provide for their families and I think that is very upsetting IMO

Because unfortunately at a time like this businesses need to scale back their operations and focus on the one that is imperative. Youth teams, hospitality, even ticket office staff won’t need to be fully staffed at this point, therefore as a cost saving exercise it would be incredibly naive to keep all of those staff on. As **** as that sounds, that’s the reality of living within a pandemic.

Purchasing players is a necessity. We need a team on the pitch and we need it to be competitive so that when we return to ‘normal’ we can get our revenues up to speed ASAP, prize monies and bums on seats will do that, and the way to do those two things is to be winning games and being as high up the league as possible. In an ideal world everyone would be ok, this isn’t currently an ideal world, however.

lord bunberry
12-07-2020, 11:24 PM
I just can’t believe we’re making 70 people redundant, we operate at a small level of permanent staff and I very much doubt we’d have 70 employees that are now deemed surplus to requirements. For years we’ve streamlined our business and I seriously doubt there are 70 jobs on the line.

Rumble de Thump
12-07-2020, 11:32 PM
Some jobs are currently redundant. Therefore, people doing those jobs will likely be made redundant. This is the case at all clubs as all clubs need to cut costs while still trying to keep their squads competitive. But journalists saying that all clubs are doing something obvious isn't news. Pretending just one big club is doing it, plus adding in exageration and twisting facts can make it seem newsworthy. It gives Hearts fans something to focus on, though.

The Hibs board have been very honest about our situation and have been working through the process in a professional manner, entering into constructive dialogue with staff. Compare and contrast with the likes of Hearts, where Ann Budge publicly and shamefully threatened her staff right from the start.

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2020, 11:33 PM

You have contradicted yourself, the club can only survive if it makes the correct business decisions to secure the future of the club, if that means cost cutting and redundancies then so be it. Harsh but that’s the reality.

Bright_Hibee
12-07-2020, 11:34 PM
Because unfortunately at a time like this businesses need to scale back their operations and focus on the one that is imperative. Youth teams, hospitality, even ticket office staff won’t need to be fully staffed at this point, therefore as a cost saving exercise it would be incredibly naive to keep all of those staff on. As **** as that sounds, that’s the reality of living within a pandemic.

Purchasing players is a necessity. We need a team on the pitch and we need it to be competitive so that when we return to ‘normal’ we can get our revenues up to speed ASAP, prize monies and bums on seats will do that, and the way to do those two things is to be winning games and being as high up the league as possible. In an ideal world everyone would be ok, this isn’t currently an ideal world, however.

I fully appreciate that. I am old enough to have seen the Tornadoes play for us and remember it so I'm pretty long in the tooth :wink:

I think my main gripe is over us paying money for a striker when we are so hard up we are making staff redundant. I know a lot of business critical staff aren't going to survive, but there will probably be plenty who are likely still needed to some degree. I am sure there were other players available for free we could have signed. I am not a scout so don't hold me to that :greengrin

I want us to be successful on the pitch but I want us to uphold the spirit of community off it instead of using it as a gimmick. The hardwork of FranckSuzy is true Hibs class

I will end there as I don't think we will see eye to eye on this as I am dogmatic as my wife tells me. I pray that our club and the people who may be made redundant are healthy at the end of the process GGTTH

GonzoReturns
12-07-2020, 11:38 PM
Businesses continually stream line operations while still investing in the core operations and supporting local communities. As supporters we have bought season tickets, signed up to HSL, record breaking strip sales!! Where do we want the funds to go to? Sorry but I want to see us investing in the first team competing. Of course we don’t want to see folk lose jobs but this a ****ty time across most industries!!!

Bright_Hibee
12-07-2020, 11:40 PM
You have contradicted yourself, the club can only survive if it makes the correct business decisions to secure the future of the club, if that means cost cutting and redundancies then so be it. Harsh but that’s the reality.

Are we cutting costs by signing players for transfer fees? Could we sign players on a free instead of this? I don't think I have contradicted myself when my wider point is considered, but you are welcome to disagree. Redundancies are inevitable but it strikes me as a bit tone deaf to be spending money on signings at this time, especially as I would imagine some roles could be rejigged to protect the staff from potential hardship.

As an aside, I have enjoyed the Liverpool resurgence of the past few years. The sides I grew up with were exciting so seeing them return to the top has been great even if I don't support any English side. I hope you have enjoyed the ride so far

Andy74
12-07-2020, 11:43 PM
I fully appreciate that. I am old enough to have seen the Tornadoes play for us and remember it so I'm pretty long in the tooth :wink:

I think my main gripe is over us paying money for a striker when we are so hard up we are making staff redundant. I know a lot of business critical staff aren't going to survive, but there will probably be plenty who are likely still needed to some degree. I am sure there were other players available for free we could have signed. I am not a scout so don't hold me to that :greengrin

I want us to be successful on the pitch but I want us to uphold the spirit of community off it instead of using it as a gimmick. The hardwork of FranckSuzy is true Hibs class

I will end there as I don't think we will see eye to eye on this as I am dogmatic as my wife tells me. I pray that our club and the people who may be made redundant are healthy at the end of the process GGTTH

It is too simplistic to say redundancies are happening because we are claiming to have no money.

Redundancies will be happening due to those roles not currently being required. As we said from the start the focus is going to be on our core business of running a competitive football team.

A competitive football team that comes out the other side of this in good shape will be of benefit to the community and local economy in the long run.

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2020, 11:45 PM
Are we cutting costs by signing players for transfer fees? Could we sign players on a free instead of this? I don't think I have contradicted myself when my wider point is considered, but you are welcome to disagree. Redundancies are inevitable but it strikes me as a bit tone deaf to be spending money on signings at this time, especially as I would imagine some roles could be rejigged to protect the staff from potential hardship.

As an aside, I have enjoyed the Liverpool resurgence of the past few years. The sides I grew up with were exciting so seeing them return to the top has been great even if I don't support any English side. I hope you have enjoyed the ride so far

I certainly have enjoyed it, was fortunate enough to grow up with a ST at Anfield watching them win everything, moved to Edinburgh in 92 and swapped it for one at Easter Road, it’s been a long wait to see them win the league again.

The redundancy one is a tough balancing act for the club, just hope too many don’t suffer.

hhibs
13-07-2020, 12:06 AM

Hibs do not employ 70 staff outside the professional players,so the story is quite wrong or put another way.................utter tosh !!

Kato
13-07-2020, 12:12 AM
How about you answer my genuine question instead of being a smart erse? :rolleyes:It was a comment about the Daily Record rather than your post so don't take it too hard.

Have a search on the internet and you will see other clubs looking at job losses.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

3pm
13-07-2020, 02:29 AM
These are wise words ✅

🗞 🗑

How does this keep happening mate? Where do they get their info?

FilipinoHibs
13-07-2020, 02:38 AM
Was he not originally the grounds man. Firstly at Easter road then the training centre. I think there was more to his role than a kit man.

Yes he was until we took a more scientific approach to looking after the pitch. Was a Celtic fan but clearly has a big affection for us to.

davidgray210516
13-07-2020, 05:20 AM
Tam must be about 60ish now. Probably a high chance it’s suiting both parties, he’ll get a nice wee redundancy from all the years with us and be able to enjoy retirement and we cut the wage bill further.
Have absolutely no knowledge on this so just my opinion, don’t think we should jump to conclusions.

Since452
13-07-2020, 05:29 AM

The weegie media have been dying to put the boot in after all the good news coming out the club over the last 6 months. I wouldn't disrespect my dog by picking up her ***** with the Sun or Record.

Hibs90
13-07-2020, 05:45 AM
Why anyone would believe anything in that paper is beyond me. It'll be gospel now though for the trolls on social media, creating more angst. As usual that paper has it in for us, and we appear to do nothing against it.

I remember emailing Leeann about this last year and as part of her response she said 'to think we do nothing is inaccurate'. Yet here we are well over a year since that and it appears that the club do nothing to stop these sensationalised headlines.

Heisenberg
13-07-2020, 05:49 AM
The article in question is a load of *****.

“Long-standing kitman Tam McCourt is set to be axed as part of Hibs’ savage cost-cutting exercise – just days after the club splashed out on three signings.

A staff consultation process is ongoing at Easter Road as Ron Gordon looks to stem heavy losses in the face of the coronavirus crisis.

Kitman McCourt, a popular figure around Easter Road for decades, is among the group facing the chop.

And it’s believed as many as 70 employees could be made redundant in total.”

The headline states we are going to get rid of him but the story merely states he is part of the consultation process. All staff are, it doesn’t mean he’s leaving. It will likely be decided his role is required and he’ll keep his job.

FilipinoHibs
13-07-2020, 06:09 AM
According to the last club accounts,76 people were employed by Hibs which includes players. If we are making 70 redundant we will be playing in 5 a side league next season.

Currie Hibee
13-07-2020, 06:23 AM
It’s also worth pointing out that just because a large number of people are going through a consultation process doesn’t actually mean that number of jobs are going. I.e. if you had 5 youth coaches but wanted to make one redundant then all 5 would be going through the process.

brog
13-07-2020, 06:37 AM
According to the last club accounts,76 people were employed by Hibs which includes players. If we are making 70 redundant we will be playing in 5 a side league next season.

Theres also 35 people in commercial & admin but in principle you're correct. As others have said there's a legal process to be followed which probably necessitates involving most if not all non playing employees. Interestingly i read on here that Sickback were quoting the 70 number last week. Probably Wee Les in his cups with Saughton Jambo having a rant.

Coco Bryce
13-07-2020, 06:44 AM
They were digging the boot into Hibs on Off The Ball on Saturday regarding these redundancies. Saying signing three players, one who cost a bit of money the same day as telling loads of people they are loosing their jobs was disrespectful and rubbing their noses in it.

I know someone who was told om Friday they would be made redundant, one of the Academy staff.

IWasThere2016
13-07-2020, 06:49 AM

Well said.

Golden Bear
13-07-2020, 06:50 AM
Hibs can't comment while the consultation process is ongoing. We won't say anything

Exactly. And personally, as a fan, I've never felt the need to be kept in the picture over such an issue.

FilipinoHibs
13-07-2020, 06:52 AM
Theres also 35 people in commercial & admin but in principle you're correct. As others have said there's a legal process to be followed which probably necessitates involving most if not all non playing employees. Interestingly i read on here that Sickback were quoting the 70 number last week. Probably Wee Les in his cups with Saughton Jambo having a rant.

If those 35 are employed by Hibs they will be part of the 76. It was employees of Hibs not just players.

CropleyWasGod
13-07-2020, 06:53 AM
If those 35 are employed by Hibs they will be part of the 76. It was employees of Hibs not just players.

The 76 is playing and coaching staff only.

sean04
13-07-2020, 06:56 AM
I might sound out of touch and a bit harsh here but the club is taking a huge hit financially, the only way the club bounces back is if the 1st team is successful. The 1st team is the club. Would rather be 3rd in the league because we spent money on the team rather than being 8th cos we decided to keep loads of unnecessary people employed. Sad if Tam is going but but he will have a big redundancy package. The hierarchy at hibs know what there doing, the measures are only until the crowds are back

The Baldmans Comb
13-07-2020, 06:58 AM
35 people in commercial and admin.��.

Like what do they all do FFS especially the commercial ones who keep failing to get a shirt sponsor leaving us with a bunch of well meaning fans in prime position.

This looks like a great opportunity to cull the dead wood.

Since90+2
13-07-2020, 07:01 AM

Like what do they all do FFS especially the commercial ones who keep failing to get a shirt sponsor leaving us with a bunch of well meaning fans in prime position.

It does seem like a high number of office staff for a business with a turnover of circa £9 million.

It's still a shame and sad to see anyone being made redundant though.

JimBHibees
13-07-2020, 07:02 AM

All clubs.

grunt
13-07-2020, 07:04 AM
35 people in commercial and admin.��. Like what do they all do FFS especially the commercial ones who keep failing to get a shirt sponsor leaving us with a bunch of well meaning fans in prime position.

Hibs class.

Since452
13-07-2020, 07:07 AM
I might sound out of touch and a bit harsh here but the club is taking a huge hit financially, the only way the club bounces back is if the 1st team is successful. The 1st team is the club. Would rather be 3rd in the league because we spent money on the team rather than being 8th cos we decided to keep loads of unnecessary people employed. Sad if Tam is going but but he will have a big redundancy package. The hierarchy at hibs know what there doing, the measures are only until the crowds are back

Exactly.

jakedance
13-07-2020, 07:08 AM
It’s always a pretty cold and legal process. The employer has to go through the right steps and part of that won’t be saying anything they don’t need to say. It’s between employee and employer at the moment so no surprise the public are in the dark. Hopefully not many jobs will actually be lost in the end.

The Baldmans Comb
13-07-2020, 07:10 AM
It does seem like a high number of office staff for a business with a turnover of circa £9 million.

It's still a shame and sad to see anyone being made redundant though.

Look around any organization and you will find a few people who either do next to nothing as they are lazy or incompetent or more often they have had a wee cottage industry created for them just to keep them in a job.

If they were to leave or be sacked nobody even notices and their manufactured job dies with them.

Hibs are a small time outfit and will have a few jobs like this that can easily go. I am taking the 35 employed in commercial and admin as gospel but hope to god we really dont have that many in what is really a very small company.

I always marvel at how some chancers get away with this for years and my sympathy is nil but my administration is immense.

Keith_M
13-07-2020, 07:26 AM

Well, definitely not Hearts, as they dumped loads of staff as soon as the lockdown kicked in.

You know, round about the time they also tried to bully their players into taking a 50% pay cut by threatening them that, if they didn't agree, they would lose their jobs by some obscure rule.

Green-Hibee-7
13-07-2020, 07:33 AM
You hate hearing about redundancies. It can be awful for some families and have a lasting impact. So anyone who does lose their job at the club during this time has my sympathy.

Unfortunately the cut throat nature of business leads to situations like this. People in the media etc seem to be confusing a cost restructure with going to the wall. If you look at it properly we are doing no different to what other businesses all around the world are doing. The consultation process will involve us advising staff that there is a lack of income coming into the club and as a result need to cut our overheads to survive. Part of that will be redundancies and the other a restructure. The club will have a plan as to what staff are needed as a priority and what teams need scaled down. From there, for the teams that are reduced a matrix will be used to see who will be let go.

People seem to be shouting from the rooftops about us signing someone for a fee but then making redundancies. It’s a lazy argument. Look at businesses outside of football. Many will be investing at this time despite redundancies as it is key to business longevity.

SquashedFrogg
13-07-2020, 07:43 AM

Make public statements about a redundancy consultation?

You being serious?

CapitalGreen
13-07-2020, 07:44 AM

Incorrect, Hibs had 111 employees according to the most recent accounts, up from 100 the previous year.

Joe6-2
13-07-2020, 07:51 AM
They were digging the boot into Hibs on Off The Ball on Saturday regarding these redundancies. Saying signing three players, one who cost a bit of money the same day as telling loads of people they are loosing their jobs was disrespectful and rubbing their noses in it.

I know someone who was told om Friday they would be made redundant, one of the Academy staff.

Have any of these opinionated a-holes or the press mentioned the pathetic saga that is hmfc? The sad tale of how much money they have spent to avoid relegation, the huge amount in they stand to lose, cutting player wages while signing a new manager and goalkeeper?

Caversham Green
13-07-2020, 07:55 AM
Look around any organization and you will find a few people who either do next to nothing as they are lazy or incompetent or more often they have had a wee cottage industry created for them just to keep them in a job.

If they were to leave or be sacked nobody even notices and their manufactured job dies with them.

Hibs are a small time outfit and will have a few jobs like this that can easily go. I am taking the 35 employed in commercial and admin as gospel but hope to god we really dont have that many in what is really a very small company.

I always marvel at how some chancers get away with this for years and my sympathy is nil but my administration is immense.

The 35 is as reported in the accounts and includes ground staff, cleaners, shop staff, ticketing staff and some catering plus 9 or 10 directors. It seems fairly standard - Aberdeen and Hearts both have many more but they had more operations in-house, Motherwell had 28 but only 4 directors, St Mirren had 36 and Killie managed with 22, presumably because the hotel staff took on some duties.

calumhibee1
13-07-2020, 07:57 AM

Maybe a wee bit harshly put but I agree.

35 commercial and admin staff is astronomical for a business the size of Hibs.

Bearders
13-07-2020, 07:59 AM
Yes he was until we took a more scientific approach to looking after the pitch. Was a Celtic fan but clearly has a big affection for us to.

Utter pish.

Caversham Green
13-07-2020, 07:59 AM
Incorrect, Hibs had 111 employees according to the most recent accounts, up from 100 the previous year.

It should be said that increase was all on the football side admin and commercial numbers were 35 for both years.

It should be clear that we are not going to shed 70 employees out of those numbers.

Spike Mandela
13-07-2020, 08:03 AM
People seem to be shouting from the rooftops about us signing someone for a fee but then making redundancies. It’s a lazy argument. Look at businesses outside of football. Many will be investing at this time despite redundancies as it is key to business longevity.

They are comparing apples and pears. The football budget is likely cut as well but will be ring fenced . We may have paid out a fee for Nisbet but I suspect we will sell players for as much if not a great deal more. The irony of the faux outrage in the press is that football, by it’s very nature, makes people redundant every year when they let players go quite often encouraged by the ‘fans with typewriters’

Other parts of the business will have it’s budgets and if that income stream is vastly reduced or non existant in a situation as extreme as a global pandemic then unfortunately some roles will be vulnerable. Again if we sell one of our players for £1m some of these funds could be diverted to other areas and save a few ‘nice to have’ roles at the club.

Forced redundancies are horrible, suffered it twice in my working life so far, but I think we owe it to Hibs to wait until the consultation process is complete and full facts of the business changes are known. I have a feeling Hibs will be doing things the right way unlike those frothing at the mouth in the media and on social media especially those who support the basket case that is Budge towers.

InchHibby
13-07-2020, 08:05 AM
It will be a sad day if Tam does go because myself and many more seen him come through the ranks from being part of the team of groundsmen to being the official groundsman and then as we know him now, Kitman etc. But like all businesses when times are tough, these things happen. The problem here though is them that reported it can’t be trusted and I for one wouldn’t and don’t give it house room along with that other rag from the west. I’ll wait until it’s either confirmed or denied by Hibs themselves. And for the reported 70 redundancies were meant to be having, we’d need to hire another thirty to do that.

CropleyWasGod
13-07-2020, 08:07 AM
Maybe a wee bit harshly put but I agree.

35 commercial and admin staff is astronomical for a business the size of Hibs.

Given what CG said about the type of roles that are included ,how many should it be?

Green_one
13-07-2020, 08:08 AM
Firstly, who continues to swallow the rubbish these rags produce as ‘news’?

Secondly, the process needs to run its course before we can really talk facts

Lastly and most unpleasantly I hope someone is making hard decisions at ER otherwise what season ticket holders and HSL are doing is a waste of time. The club needs to survive and find a way forward. That is not going to be easy. We are all trying to help. Some have the rubbish job of cutting costs. There is a big picture. Some of it good, some of it bad. Worse is happening in the wider world and some of it to fellow Hibees.

Let’s watch what happens to the Daily Record longer term. The press in the UK was struggling. What do you think advertising revenue will be like in future.

ozhibs
13-07-2020, 08:09 AM
They are comparing apples and pears. The football budget is likely cut as well but will be ring fenced . We may have paid out a fee for Nisbet but I suspect we will sell players for as much if not a great deal more. The irony of the faux outrage in the press is that football, by it’s very nature, makes peopke redundant every year when they let players go quite often encouraged by the ‘fans with typewriters’

Other parts of the business will have it’s budgets and if that income stream is vastly reduced or non existant in a situation as extreme as a global psndemic then unfortunately some roles will be vulnerable. Again if we sell one of our players for £1m some of these funds could be diverted to other areas and save a few ‘nice to have’ roles at the club.

Forced redundancies are horrible, suffered it twice in my working life so far, but I think we owe it to Hibs to wait until the consultation process is complete and full facts of the business changes are known. I have a feeling Hibs sill be doing things the right way unlike those frothing at the mouth in the media and on social media especially those who support the basket case that is Budge towers.

Well put I had not thought of it that way and was one of those upset at the club signing players while making others redundant 👍

GGTTH

Nakedmanoncrack
13-07-2020, 08:12 AM
Must be a lot of naive or exceptionally securely employed Hibs fans on here, and the other social media. The biggest economic downturn in history, and they expect business as usual! Long serving staff kept on because its a 'nice' thing to do etc. Maybe better looking closer to home, as your job may well be subject to similar review soon, or worse.

Andy74
13-07-2020, 08:14 AM
Firstly, who continues to swallow the rubbish these rags produce as ‘news’?

Secondly, the process needs to run its course before we can really talk facts

Lastly and most unpleasantly I hope someone is making hard decisions at ER otherwise what season ticket holders and HSL are doing is a waste of time. The club needs to survive and find a way forward. That is not going to be easy. We are all trying to help. Some have the rubbish job of cutting costs. There is a big picture. Some of it good, some of it bad. Worse is happening in the wider world and some of it to fellow Hibees.

Let’s watch what happens to the Daily Record longer term. The press in the UK was struggling. What do you think advertising revenue will be like in future.

Times have changed for the press and there are some parallels here.

I'm sure whoever owns the Daily Record will have laid off a big number of staff in areas that supported printing and distribution of physical papers.

Does that mean they shouldn't have hired anyone with a digital background?

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2020, 08:17 AM
Must be a lot of naive or exceptionally securely employed Hibs fans on here, and the other social media. The biggest economic downturn in history, and they expect business as usual! Long serving staff kept on because its a 'nice' thing to do etc. Maybe better looking closer to home, as your job may well be subject to similar review soon, or worse.

Spot on, some people just don’t seem to grasp the reality of the financial situation that clubs find themselves in. There can be no sentiment when making decisions to secure the long term future of your club/business.

Since452
13-07-2020, 08:19 AM

Spot on

calumhibee1
13-07-2020, 08:24 AM
Given what CG said about the type of roles that are included ,how many should it be?

I hadn’t actually saw CGs post when I replied - with his break down of the staff it seems a lot more reasonable with groups of staff included in that number that I wouldn’t have expected to be.

Jones28
13-07-2020, 08:25 AM
These are wise words ✅

🗞 🗑

Case closed, shut this thread down before it adds more fuel to the fire.

Barney McGrew
13-07-2020, 08:26 AM
Hibs communicated right at the start that they’d gone into the consultation process, and now they have they CANNOT comment on it until it’s finished - that’s the rules.

I’d imagine there’s a number of people who only work on match days included in the headcount e.g. hospitality staff, so with no match days there’s quite simply no need for them just now. There will also be some difficult decisions made on other roles, the same as pretty much every other company in the land will be making and that will result in some people leaving that no doubt in an ideal world they’d rather keep.

Some people will take voluntary redundancy because they want to take the money and maybe have another job lined up.

its a ****ty situation but it’s life. It happens regularly all over the place, not just because of the virus, and Hibs are not immune.

As the furlough scheme starts to wind down this will become the norm, especially in football clubs if fans still can’t go to games.

Carheenlea
13-07-2020, 08:26 AM
Seems to be some on JKB who are privy to our financial health, and it does look like very worrying times ahead for Hibs.

“ I was told by someone supposedly in the know about their affairs that their entire financial strategy is built rounds getting money when/if McGinn moves from Villa. If that doesn’t not happen for what ever reason then they have problems.” (sic)

If this wasn’t concerning enough, the sting in the tail is this -

“I've mentioned before. I've heard from.a hibs fan that a good percentage of any sell on for McGinn goes to.petrie and farmer” (sic)

Petrie and Farmer have played us like a fiddle all along :furious:

Jones28
13-07-2020, 08:27 AM
Seems to be some on JKB who are privy to our financial health, and it does look like very worrying times ahead for Hibs.

“ I was told by someone supposedly in the know about their affairs that their entire financial strategy is built rounds getting money when/if McGinn moves from Villa. If that doesn’t not happen for what ever reason then they have problems.”

“I've mentioned before. I've heard from.a hibs fan that a good percentage of any sell on for McGinn goes to.petrie and farmer”

😂😂😂 they just will not give it up.

Come on Jambos, geez another belter

Since452
13-07-2020, 08:30 AM

“ I was told by someone supposedly in the know about their affairs that their entire financial strategy is built rounds getting money when/if McGinn moves from Villa. If that doesn’t not happen for what ever reason then they have problems.” (sic)

“I've mentioned before. I've heard from.a hibs fan that a good percentage of any sell on for McGinn goes to.petrie and farmer” (sic)

Wonder if he knows that Joe Black guy on Twitter. They have us sussed. Can't pull the wool over their eyes anyway.

Brightside
13-07-2020, 08:43 AM

It doesnt say that anywhere in the article. Almost all the roles in the backroom staff are under consultation. That does not mean that they are made redundant.

Brightside
13-07-2020, 08:46 AM

Hearts got rid of all their youth coaches in April... I must have missed all the reporting in the national press about that. They were all on zero hour contracts despite the constant claims of living wage from over there.

Caversham Green
13-07-2020, 08:50 AM

That highlights the difference between this site and Kickedoot. If someone posted pish like that on here they'd soon be called out but over there they're all lapping it up.

mjhibby
13-07-2020, 08:52 AM
It’s always a pretty cold and legal process. The employer has to go through the right steps and part of that won’t be saying anything they don’t need to say. It’s between employee and employer at the moment so no surprise the public are in the dark. Hopefully not many jobs will actually be lost in the end.

Anybody who has worked in one of the large supermarkets will be well versed in the consultation process. The likes of Asda and Morrison’s have been constantly restructuring (redundancy) for a number of years. They are doing this to allegedly remain competitive . What we are doing is dealing with a real threat to the viability of the club. There will be many tricky conversations to be had. I’ve a couple of friends who have had the threat of redundancies hanging over their head for years and it’s a horrible feeling. As regards our football club it’s disingenuous in the extreme for papers to highlight us for redundancies while signing players where hertz players were forced to leave or take thirty per cent pay cuts then sign Craig Gordon on a very high salary. Aberdeen players have taken a pay cut but they will sign players. I would imagine every club in Scotland will be doing what we are doing but will be signing players otherwise they will be looking at relegation battles and a further drop in income.
It’s actually comical the way this pandemics affect on Scottish football has been reported but the bigot bros will be making huge signings to get or stop ten in a row. The Scottish sports media is at the lowest ebb I can remember and sales continue to plummet so click bait journalism gets worse. It’s a vicious circle and will only get worse.

Gerard
13-07-2020, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately in this time of economic recession and perhaps soon a depression many companies will have to make staff redundant.
Hibs are not immune from this situation.
I am sure that when this process is finished, Hibs will be in a position to
Communicate any changes that are made. This will be seen in the website being updated and any update that is necessary being posted on the website.
The club will survive this situation and will in time be stronger at the end of this difficult time.
All football clubs will be making tough decisions to live within their means as the alternative of not doing so is probably going 'bust'.

Since452
13-07-2020, 09:02 AM

The Daily Record reporting that Tam the kit man is being made redundant shows how pathetic that rag is. Back page news too. Daggers have been out since Keith Jackson's bitter lies in the wake of 21/5/16.

mjhibby
13-07-2020, 09:02 AM
That highlights the difference between this site and Kickedoot. If someone posted pish like that on here they'd soon be called out but over there they're all lapping it up.

It’s become like a religious cult where nobody questions anything said on there and I’ve witnessed what I thought were sensible jambos coming out with the most utter garbage about us with no evidence whatsoever bar someone said it on sickbag again. I suspect the three signings will have them muttering in corridors as I know they especially liked Gogic after he bossed them in their games v Hamilton. They know Gogic is a cracking signing but couldn’t admit it as they will be hounded. I maybe have green tinted glasses on but I feel we can post on here knowing we will at least get a fair discussion.

Greenworld
13-07-2020, 09:06 AM
If it is happening elsewhere then why is it not in the papers? I know Hibs are seen as easy meat for journalists but a story is a story for them and employees getting made redundant at St Mirren or Hamilton would be in the news. A deferral is something we already had in place but now we have to trim more of the players salary and a lot of different staff too.Forget football for a minute. People are loosing there jobs from all walks of life the numbers and reporting have increased this month.
This is because of the change in Furlough for the months of August to October when it ends.
Companies from august start to pay part of the salary.
Without any customers allowed into our business ( football )there is no one to look after .
As soon as customers are allowed back into grounds job recreation will do its thing.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

mjhibby
13-07-2020, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately in this time of economic recession and perhaps soon a depression many companies will have to make staff redundant.
Hibs are not immune from this situation.
I am sure that when this process is finished, Hibs will be in a position to
Communicate any changes that are made. This will be seen in the website being updated and any update that is necessary being posted on the website.
The club will survive this situation and will in time be stronger at the end of this difficult time.
All football clubs will be making tough decisions to live within their means as the alternative of not doing so is probably going 'bust'.

To use the often wheeled out cliche these are utterly unprecedented times and some very tough, and to some unfair,decisions will have to be made. Many companies are using this pandemic to drive down pay and conditions and use it for monetary gain. I trust the custodians of our club not to do so.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2020, 09:14 AM

You actually think a statement saying "yeah we've punted another 5 staff today" is a good idea? Hibs are telling us what we need to know.

Gerard
13-07-2020, 09:31 AM
To use the often wheeled out cliche these are utterly unprecedented times and some very tough, and to some unfair,decisions will have to be made. Many companies are using this pandemic to drive down pay and conditions and use it for monetary gain. I trust the custodians of our club not to do so.

I completely agree. When the accounts for this time are issued we will find out

jacomo
13-07-2020, 09:35 AM

Now this is a ludicrous comment.

You really think Hibs were happy to employ a load of people just pushing paper clips around?

Running a business like Hibs requires a lot of people... selling tickets and managing large events involves a lot of people.

Barney McGrew
13-07-2020, 09:44 AM
Now this is a ludicrous comment.

You really think Hibs were happy to employ a load of people just pushing paper clips around?

Running a business like Hibs requires a lot of people... selling tickets and managing large events involves a lot of people.

I assume the 35 people are not all full time too.

lucky
13-07-2020, 09:47 AM
This DR story has been lifted from fans forums, it was first mentioned on the wee teams plebs site and mentioned on here. They’ve just lifted it. The only part that’s been confirmed by Hibs is that the club are consulting on redundancies. Let’s be clear no one wants anyone to lose their job but as the furlough scheme is now going to be costing businesses money going forward and ending in October lots of businesses will be making staff redundant.

cammy1969
13-07-2020, 10:00 AM
Here’s my take on it for what it’s worth.
Hibs will have done there home work and decided that lets say 5 positions can be made redundant,and would have sent letters out explaining their plan and asked who if anyone would be willing to take redundancy.

Now maybe nobody wanted it so they then have to look at everybody and decide the best 5 to let go.

Or perhaps 20 people have indicated that they would be willing if the package was to their likening, so the club would then need to work out packages for them and take it from there.

I’m sure by law they would have to put the offer to all staff in the departments they are looking to cut but I could be wrong.

Daniel 1875
13-07-2020, 10:01 AM
Reach PLC (who own the Daily Record) are making 550 people redundant across their titles, which is genuinely a real shame for those involved and I don’t take joy in anyone losing their job. Will they still send one, two or more journalists to France in a couple of weeks to cover the Old Firm pre season tour? Absolutely.

I look forward to the same journalists who are outraged at what’s happening at Hibs taking a similar stance for their own colleagues when asked to go and watch PSG play Celtic.

Onceinawhile
13-07-2020, 10:17 AM
If tams been made redundant then its not a huge surprise, he's been here years and must be near retirement. A nice big statutory lump sum redundancy payment must be great for him at this time of his life.

bigwheel
13-07-2020, 10:19 AM
No idea if losing the kit man role is true - seems unlikely as the team will need a kit man (or woman)..if Tam loses his role, it can only be because someone else can kick up these activities ..

Every club must be going through these processes , or about to ..how come we seem to be the only ones being constantly bashed for it at the moment?

Keith_M
13-07-2020, 10:25 AM
No idea if losing the kit man role is true - seems unlikely as the team will need a kit man (or woman)..if Tam loses his role, it can only be because someone else can kick up these activities

Maybe somebody else has just got a bigger washing machine.

ancient hibee
13-07-2020, 10:25 AM
No idea if losing the kit man role is true - seems unlikely as the team will need a kit man (or woman)..if Tam loses his role, it can only be because someone else can kick up these activities ..

Every club must be going through these processes , or about to ..how come we seem to be the only ones being constantly bashed for it at the moment?
Don't need a kit man just now-players look after their own kit.

GonzoReturns
13-07-2020, 10:41 AM
Reach PLC (who own the Daily Record) are making 550 people redundant across their titles, which is genuinely a real shame for those involved and I don’t take joy in anyone losing their job. Will they still send one, two or more journalists to France in a couple of weeks to cover the Old Firm pre season tour? Absolutely.

I look forward to the same journalists who are outraged at what’s happening at Hibs taking a similar stance for their own colleagues when asked to go and watch PSG play Celtic.

This 100%

Lester B
13-07-2020, 10:48 AM
If tams been made redundant then its not a huge surprise, he's been here years and must be near retirement. A nice big statutory lump sum redundancy payment must be great for him at this time of his life.

There is no such thing as a nice big statutory redundancy payment I'm afraid. Statutory employment terms are by definition pretty poor which is why employment contracts are often based upon contractual terms whether that be sick pay or redundancy pay or whatever. There is also always the scope for paying enhanced terms over and above contractual entitlement but that's very much based upon the financial circumstances of the business

There's an awful lot of rubbish being talked on this thread (not by you I hasten to add!) by people who really don't know anything about employment practice. If there is a consultation going on regarding redundancies then this is a confidential matter between employers and employees and there is no right to know or requirement to communicate with any third party which would include us as Hibs fans.

And, as with any gutter tabloid story, what's been published is almost certainly a mix of half truths, speculation and downright nonsense

davhibby
13-07-2020, 10:53 AM
There is no such thing as a nice big statutory redundancy payment I'm afraid. Statutory employment terms are by definition pretty poor which is why employment contracts are often based upon contractual terms whether that be sick pay or redundancy pay or whatever. There is also always the scope for paying enhanced terms over and above contractual entitlement but that's very much based upon the financial circumstances of the business

There's an awful lot of rubbish being talked on this thread (not by you I hasten to add!) by people who really don't know anything about employment practice. If there is a consultation going on regarding redundancies then this is a confidential matter between employers and employees and there is no right to know or requirement to communicate with any third party which would include us as Hibs fans.

And, as with any gutter tabloid story, what's been published is almost certainly a mix of half truths, speculation and downright nonsense

Exactly, folk going on about Hibs not telling us what’s going on, the club will tell us what’s happening once the consultation is over - I’m sure I read on here that it is up at some point this week. The articles in the sun and the record are just made up nothing articles speculating on what could happen in the guise of it being factual to get clicks. Chucking around figures like 70 redundancies and name dropping the kit man makes for a good story. The reality is that nobody outside of the club knows what’s happening

inglisavhibs
13-07-2020, 10:57 AM
They are comparing apples and pears. The football budget is likely cut as well but will be ring fenced . We may have paid out a fee for Nisbet but I suspect we will sell players for as much if not a great deal more. The irony of the faux outrage in the press is that football, by it’s very nature, makes people redundant every year when they let players go quite often encouraged by the ‘fans with typewriters’

Other parts of the business will have it’s budgets and if that income stream is vastly reduced or non existant in a situation as extreme as a global pandemic then unfortunately some roles will be vulnerable. Again if we sell one of our players for £1m some of these funds could be diverted to other areas and save a few ‘nice to have’ roles at the club.

Forced redundancies are horrible, suffered it twice in my working life so far, but I think we owe it to Hibs to wait until the consultation process is complete and full facts of the business changes are known. I have a feeling Hibs will be doing things the right way unlike those frothing at the mouth in the media and on social media especially those who support the basket case that is Budge towers.
Yes we have lost six first team wages from last season, Bogdan, Docherty, Omeonga, Slivka,McNulty and Whitaker, taking on three. Hardly a player spending spree. The transfer fee will be offset in some way when Kamberi is sold. Poor journalism as usual. Every full time club in Scotland will be making staff redundant which is sad.

RossScott1991
13-07-2020, 10:59 AM
Big Tam should bring out his own autobiography, fly off the shelves. Can only imagine the things he’s seen in his time at hibs!

Lester B
13-07-2020, 11:03 AM
Exactly, folk going on about Hibs not telling us what’s going on, the club will tell us what’s happening once the consultation is over - I’m sure I read on here that it is up at some point this week. The articles in the sun and the record are just made up nothing articles speculating on what could happen in the guise of it being factual to get clicks. Chucking around figures like 70 redundancies and name dropping the kit man makes for a good story. The reality is that nobody outside of the club knows what’s happening

Nail on the head sir! :agree:

bigwheel
13-07-2020, 11:04 AM
Don't need a kit man just now-players look after their own kit.

That will soon change

derekduval
13-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Big Tam should bring out his own autobiography, fly off the shelves. Can only imagine the things he’s seen in his time at hibs!

Don’t think he’d air his dirty laundry in public

hibsbollah
13-07-2020, 11:08 AM
#1 I’m not making any judgements on the basis of the toxic red top newspapers and no other Hibs fans should do either. Do we have confidence in the DR based on past experience?

#2 Even if the main thrust of the story is correct, and we’re cutting non playing staff while investing in the team, that’s nothing to be ashamed of. We’re not spraffing this money against the wall (apologies Boris), we’re investing it, in two seasons if Kevin Nisbet is sold for 4 times what we paid for him, that might be enough to safeguard the future of the club in the post Covid recession.

There needs to be some trust at this stage.

iwasthere1972
13-07-2020, 11:09 AM
Gutted for Tam. Lived next door to him when growing up and even babysat him. :agree:

He'll have seen plenty managers come and go and it will feel strange not being there after so many years.

So whose going to be in charge of the kit etc if Tam's not there to do it? Surely we still need someone. Or is Jack Ross going to fill in?

Heisenberg
13-07-2020, 11:13 AM
Gutted for Tam. Lived next door to him when growing up and even babysat him. :agree:

He'll have seen plenty managers come and go and it will feel strange not being there after so many years.

So whose going to be in charge of the kit etc if Tam's not there to do it? Surely we still need someone. Or is Jack Ross going to fill in?

As far as I can tell there’s not any truth to the story yet. His job is merely under consultation with the rest of the staff at the club.

The 90+2
13-07-2020, 11:20 AM
#1 I’m not making any judgements on the basis of the toxic red top newspapers and no other Hibs fans should do either. Do we have confidence in the DR based on past experience?

#2 Even if the main thrust of the story is correct, and we’re cutting non playing staff while investing in the team, that’s nothing to be ashamed of. We’re not spraffing this money against the wall (apologies Boris), we’re investing it, in two seasons if Kevin Nisbet is sold for 4 times what we paid for him, that might be enough to safeguard the future of the club in the post Covid recession.

I agree with the sentiment but something just doesn’t sit easy with me if Tam and his Missus is getting laid off, he’s fantastic to have around the club and does a lot more than just wash the kit. He’s part of the fabric of the club and can’t be on ludicrous money.

Since452
13-07-2020, 11:20 AM

There are some very good, realistic comments on this thread not like the mass hysteria on other social media platforms. These are unprecedented times and the first team are our biggest asset. A poor first team will ultimately lead to more hardship and more potential job losses. Like the club have said, all our focus will be on the first team for the time being. We have very astute people running our club and I trust them to make the right decisions to get through this difficult period that is affecting every club. I've had to take a pay cut myself at work just to keep me in a job. It isn't ideal but needs must.

The 90+2
13-07-2020, 11:21 AM
There are some very good, realistic comments on this thread not like the mass hysteria on other social media platforms. These are unprecedented times and the first team are our biggest asset. A poor first team will ultimately lead to more hardship and more potential job losses. Like the club have said, all our focus will be on the first team for the time being. We have very astute people running our club and I trust them to make the right decisions to get through this difficult period that is affecting every club.

While at the same time some time blind trust just because we have to isn’t the best solution.

Keith_M
13-07-2020, 11:23 AM
I can't wait for all the juicy back-stabbing stories to be made public.

"Leeann Dempster sacked me, then ate my Hampster"

"Thrown out on my Ear... after Ron Gordon shot off the other one with his six-shooter".

" 'I was only following all the wise business advice given to me by Ann Budge', claims Dempster"

"Washed up former kit man spends his days in Laundrette, staring wistfully at washing machines"

pollution
13-07-2020, 11:38 AM
The OP sends a late night thread and we all pile in, based on rumour.

lord bunberry
13-07-2020, 11:39 AM
Underrated post.

Lester B
13-07-2020, 11:43 AM
I agree with the sentiment but something just doesn’t sit easy with me if Tam and his Missus is getting laid off, he’s fantastic to have around the club and does a lot more than just wash the kit. He’s part of the fabric of the club and can’t be on ludicrous money.

Tam is indeed part of the club and I really should post with my own Tam story. But what you are doing here is believing what the Daily Record is saying. Tam is well known amongst Hibs fans which is why the DR mention him. There is absolutely no corroboration of the story but he's the tag that a tabloid knows will make people talk about it. Including all of us and I include myself in that as much as anyone.

Victor
13-07-2020, 11:46 AM
WTF is this still being debated? We are a football club. The most important thing is a winning team. Things everywhere are bad. Nice people will suffer EVERYWHERE. If someone is irreplaceable, they will still be here next season. If the job they do is not relevant they will be released. Some people may chose to retire or leave.

FilipinoHibs
13-07-2020, 11:49 AM
It should be said that increase was all on the football side admin and commercial numbers were 35 for both years.

It should be clear that we are not going to shed 70 employees out of those numbers.

Yes I just saw the non admin numbers. It is 111.

Onceinawhile
13-07-2020, 12:12 PM

He should be able to get about 16k or so should he not? That for me is a decent lump sum given the age he must roughly be/given he's coming up to retirement.

Wilson
13-07-2020, 12:18 PM

"Thrown out on my Ear... after Ron Gordon shot off the other one with his six-shooter".

" 'I was only following all the wise business advice given to me by Ann Budge', claims Dempster"

"Washed up former kit man spends his days in Laundrette, staring wistfully at washing machines"

Who do you work for? Sun or Record? :wink:

TelaStella
13-07-2020, 12:26 PM
If true what’s happening to all kit related jobs and duties for the foreseeable future? Lot more goes into the job than you’d expect. Desperate ***** from a ***** paper.

Lester B
13-07-2020, 12:26 PM
He should be able to get about 16k or so should he not? That for me is a decent lump sum given the age he must roughly be/given he's coming up to retirement.

Yes the maximum stat is just over £16K dependant on length of service and salary cap applies. It's not an insignificant sum but you have to compare that with loss of future earnings particularly as retirement age is essentially meaningless as you can't be forced to retire at a certain age anymore. As I said contractual redundancy is always better

Smartie
13-07-2020, 12:29 PM

I think he’d do it in a Flash. Especially that story about big Daz.

The 90+2
13-07-2020, 12:32 PM
Tam is indeed part of the club and I really should post with my own Tam story. But what you are doing here is believing what the Daily Record is saying. Tam is well known amongst Hibs fans which is why the DR mention him. There is absolutely no corroboration of the story but he's the tag that a tabloid knows will make people talk about it. Including all of us and I include myself in that as much as anyone.

True mate but I did say “if” it’s created a lot of debate regardless of the merits of the trashy paper I suppose.

B.H.F.C
13-07-2020, 12:45 PM
If true what’s happening to all kit related jobs and duties for the foreseeable future? Lot more goes into the job than you’d expect. Desperate ***** from a ***** paper.

On the website Tam is listed as Kit Manager and Joyce as Kit Coordinator.

Without any development team etc there is obviously less to do as will be the case with other areas of the club. Less to do, less people required.

Tam might be going or might not be. He might have chosen to he might not have. Who knows. It’s a pretty crap story that throws up the usual responses. It’s like the stories on the back of the initial announcement last month when people were panicking that we’d never sign a player again!

Keith_M
13-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Who do you work for? Sun or Record? :wink:

Freelance, for whoever's willing to pay for the nonsense I write

:greengrin

flash
13-07-2020, 01:33 PM

He certainly would not.

lucky
13-07-2020, 01:48 PM
I fully expect Budge to bid for our kit man. But Let’s be serious here, how the **** is a story about a kit man worthy off headlines in the back page of a newspaper. He must be the most famous kit man in Scotland now. He’s probably feeling embarrassed that he’s a news story and two threads on Hibs.net. If he’s losing his job, which no one knows he is at this stage, then to have it used to slag of the club he’s loves must hurt.

blackpoolhibs
13-07-2020, 01:53 PM
I just can’t believe we’re making 70 people redundant, we operate at a small level of permanent staff and I very much doubt we’d have 70 employees that are now deemed surplus to requirements. For years we’ve streamlined our business and I seriously doubt there are 70 jobs on the line.

Exactly, the people who are being made redundant will have no work to do so we'd be paying them to sit on their arse.

Difficult times have difficult decisions, and as others have said, we are no different to ever other team in the league.

70 redundancies my arse.

Since452
13-07-2020, 01:55 PM
I fully expect Budge to bid for our kit man. But Let’s be serious here, how the **** is a story about a kit man worthy off headlines in the back page of a newspaper. He must be the most famous kit man in Scotland now. He’s probably feeling embarrassed that he’s a news story and two threads on Hibs.net. If he’s losing his job, which no one knows he is at this stage, then to have it used to slag of the club he’s loves must hurt.

It's bizarre. Got to be the first kit man to appear on the back page of a tabloid newspaper.

Green Manalishi
13-07-2020, 01:56 PM
The older Hibs fans on here wil feel sorry for Tam as he has been around the club forever doing a variety of jobs and is very well thought of by generations of ex players. The younger guys just seem to be dismissing him and taking the attitude of " who cares he is only the kit man" A club is more than just the manager and the first team squad. Dedicated individuals like Tam McCourt make the place tick behind the scenes but i suppose to a lot of fans and Ron he is just the water boy.

Keith_M
13-07-2020, 02:01 PM
The older Hibs fans on here wil feel sorry for Tam as he has been around the club forever doing a variety of jobs and is very well thought off by generations of ex players. The younger guys just seem to be dismissing him and taking the attitude of " who cares he is only the kit man" A club is more than just the manager and the first team squad. Dedicated individuals like Tam McCourt make the place tick behind the scenes but i suppose to Ron he is just the water boy.

And a lot of us are refusing to take the story seriously... unlike your good self.

Speedy
13-07-2020, 02:04 PM
He certainly would not.

Don't think he'd take any comfort from it.

JeMeSouviens
13-07-2020, 02:06 PM
Don't think he'd take any comfort from it.

He might enjoy a bounce?

blackpoolhibs
13-07-2020, 02:07 PM
I do have a big laugh with myself, when there is bad news printed about the club, there is always a surge in low post count members willing to be hurt by this news, and cant wait to stick the boot in.

Funny that eh?:lolyam:

Green Manalishi
13-07-2020, 02:08 PM
And a lot of us are refusing to take the story seriously... unlike your good self. Thats not the point is it. Some posters on here are dismissing him as the ''kit man'' and saying they are not bothered if he has gone or not.

alhibby
13-07-2020, 02:15 PM
Must remember that his wife, Joyce, works as a Kit Woman at East Mains and ER too, will she be another possible casualty?

B.H.F.C
13-07-2020, 02:20 PM
The older Hibs fans on here wil feel sorry for Tam as he has been around the club forever doing a variety of jobs and is very well thought of by generations of ex players. The younger guys just seem to be dismissing him and taking the attitude of " who cares he is only the kit man" A club is more than just the manager and the first team squad. Dedicated individuals like Tam McCourt make the place tick behind the scenes but i suppose to a lot of fans and Ron he is just the water boy.

Younger fans will also have sympathy for Tam, or anyone else at the club, who loses a job as a result of this. As for the comment about Ron, that’s silly and I’m not sure what it’s based on.

Lester B
13-07-2020, 02:22 PM
And a lot of us are refusing to take the story seriously... unlike your good self.

Perfectly put.

Tambo
13-07-2020, 02:31 PM
Tam is hibs through and through, never met the guy but my dad had a chat with him and yogi one time.

If true then a sad day for Hibernian.

Clarence
13-07-2020, 02:38 PM
I think he’ll release a book but won’t want to name too many names in his stories. A kinda Hibs folk ken what went on type of veiled expose.

Gerard
13-07-2020, 02:51 PM
I think that until the situation us made clear regarding possible redundancies at our club we need to keep an open mind.
We need to consider the facts concerning the club's finances
The club has said that its is looking at a considerable reduction in income. It is doing everything possible to protect the ability for the team to be competitive . The cost will probably be redundancies in the non playing staff.
The alternative would perhaps have been not to sign newspapers and that would have resulted in many people being unhappy.
There are no easy solutions that will make everybody happy and prevent redundancies.

brog
13-07-2020, 03:14 PM

I would strongly urge you to reconsider this post. You freely admit you have no idea what these people do but you assume it's "a great opportunity to cull the dead wood". Like you I have no idea how much these people are paid, our accounts don't identify by staff area, but I strongly suspect some may be p/t & I doubt any are on a significant salary. Just a couple of facts.
1. Our lower league neighbours employ more than double our comm/admin staff, 71/35. In addition they employ a staggering 146 p/t hospitality staff. Their numbers increased by 56, over 20% last year.
2. Our numbers increased by 2 (6%) in the last 3 years. In that time our turnover increased by over 40% Some of the deadwood must be doing a pretty good job!

Caversham Green
13-07-2020, 03:19 PM

I might have missed it, but I'm not seeing anyone on this thread saying anything like "who cares he's only the kit man". Most are questioning the press story because it has more holes in it that my old string vest and even smells worse.

Something that was pointed out on the PM board is that it's not the person that is made redundant, it's the position so unless Hibs are going to do without a kit man for the coming season Tam's job is safe if he still wants it.

Caversham Green
13-07-2020, 03:20 PM

A Bold prediction.

Keith_M
13-07-2020, 03:21 PM
Thats not the point is it. Some posters on here are dismissing him as the ''kit man'' and saying they are not bothered if he has gone or not.

And is he gone? What are the circumstances involved and is he unhappy about it?

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2020, 03:22 PM

You have no idea of the details, yet you have decided that the place is full of dead wood that needs culling?

craigiehibs
13-07-2020, 03:25 PM
You have no idea of the details, yet you have decided that the place is full of dead wood that needs culling?

tbmc...u are a strange person indeed

jacomo
13-07-2020, 03:26 PM

“Hibs caused Covid-19 to thwart Hearts because they are dead jealous and bitter and that”

Since452
13-07-2020, 03:29 PM
“Hibs caused Covid-19 to thwart Hearts because they are dead jealous and bitter and that”

If it wasn't for Covid Hearts would definitely have finished above Hibs and signed Kevin Nisbet

jacomo
13-07-2020, 03:31 PM

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2020, 03:31 PM
I’m not even sure what Tams title or job description is but it sounds like he has picked up various tasks over the years and has probably become the man who does so many things at the club that probably only the full extent would be known and missed if he was to go. At this stage of his life if a redundancy package is on the table it might just be a great opportunity for him to go with a decent wedge that he might actually want even if it is just statutory payment.
It’s a big IF as no one on here really knows and the press just like to spread doom and gloom about Hibs.

Greenbeard
13-07-2020, 03:54 PM
Been there. A "restructuring review", which seemed to be necessary every two years or so but which was just an excuse to get rid of some folk. Many more jobs were put "at risk" as part of the review than the actual number of job losses overall. I opted not to apply for any of the revised jobs - it was time for me to move on anyway - and took the package on offer. (TBH I had anticipated the review was coming and stayed on for a year or so when I was privately itching to go anyway.)
But this is different. This is an essential restructuring with some positions genuinely redundant. Other jobs will likely be combined. I'll trust Hibs to do the necessary review in a genuine and fair manner. As folk have said, some sort of kit role will still be needed and it could well be that Tam chooses redundancy. But if he gets the boot, who's for pulling on their Nike Alpha Fly for a sponsored run from East Mains to Easter Road to raise some dosh to fund his post through the crisis? (Like the Dun Utd boys walking Tiny to Tannadice to raise dosh for legal fees.)
It's about 15 miles.
PS before anyone says, I got some cream for the private itching.

Keith_M
13-07-2020, 04:35 PM
And is he gone? What are the circumstances involved and is he unhappy about it?

:tumble:

Lester B
13-07-2020, 04:37 PM
:tumble:

Look if you’re going to introduce realism and common sense into the debate you have to expect a bit of stunned silence from some quarters.

Green Manalishi
13-07-2020, 05:35 PM
And is he gone? What are the circumstances involved and is he unhappy about it? Once again you are not grasping the point of my post. Unless Tam comes out gives us the story we wont know if he is happy or unhappy. i was criticising some posters for dismissing him as ''just the kit man'' and saying they were not bothered if he has gone or not... What i advise you to do is read a post properly instead of just skimming over it before you race onto your keyboard with a reply. In other words engage your brain before your fingers...I dont have the patience you explain it to you a third time so just leave it at that.

Kato
13-07-2020, 05:42 PM
Once again you are not grasping the point of my post. Unless Tam comes out gives us the story we wont know if he is happy or unhappy. i was criticising some posters for dismissing him as ''just the kit man'' and saying they were not bothered if he has gone or not... What i advise you to do is read a post properly instead of just skimming over it before you race onto your keyboard with a reply. In other words engage your brain before your fingers...I dont have the patience you explain it to you a third time so just leave it at that.

Good.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Itsnoteasy
13-07-2020, 09:09 PM
What information would you like Hibs to communicate about a redundancy consultation process which is supposed to be confidential?

So who leaked it to the tabloids?

B.H.F.C
13-07-2020, 09:14 PM
So who leaked it to the tabloids?

Don’t think anybody leaked anything.

Hibs told everybody they were starting a consultation. The Daily Record have written that 70 people are getting made redundant. When you look at the number of employees Hibs have, it’s pretty clear 70 people won’t be getting made redundant.

ian cruise
13-07-2020, 10:24 PM

If the money for Nisbet comes from HSL, which were donations that were made specifically to support the first team and the managers budget then it has no bearing on the redundancies surely? You can't ask people to donate to a managers transfer fund on top of season tickets, etc then afterwards say "sorry we can't buy players we used the money elsewhere?"

Anyway when the club can comment they will. I have absolute sympathy for anyone going through the process right now it's a horrible time and in particular those who know their role no longer exists but speculation isn't going to help. The last thing most would like is to know folk are debating their job online I'd imagine.

mcohibs
13-07-2020, 10:50 PM
The last thing most would like is to know folk are debating their job online I'd imagine.

Yep. A lot of uncomfortable reading on this thread tbh. People commenting on an ongoing consultation process and speculating what kind of payoff certain people will be pleased to get just doesn't sit well.

Comments such as 'culling the deadwood' in particular are hugely irresponsible. Can only imagine how anxious and mortified I'd be to read that about my job on a public forum.

WestCoastHibby
14-07-2020, 02:08 AM
This exactly. If you can let such a huge number go then what were they doing to justify being there in the first place.
And come on, some jobs are just always going to need doing. Can't see how they can make the Kit "person" redundant.
Putting it out to tender to Fishers??

Viva_Palmeiras
14-07-2020, 03:08 AM

should we do the DRs work for them and highlight an individual or appreciate it is likely to be a process covering a numbers folks and reflect that in the title/heading/headline

lucky
14-07-2020, 08:03 AM
No one wants anyone to lose their job. But the sad fact is millions will as we come out of this pandemic. Hibs function is to play football, 18k fans turn up to watch the 1st team play. That’s all the fans are interested in, not many care if the development or women’s teams win or Hibs have employed the most people in Leith. Fans have moaned for years that money was diverted into infrastructure projects instead of the 1st team. ST sales are based on Hibs having a competitive 1st team, the club are making the right decisions to grow their core business and when it grows employment in other departments will happen. RG and LD are making tough calls to save the club and grow again.

Every club will be scaling back but it’s only Hibs that are in the papers. Dundee and Hearts, two championship rivals, both threaten to stop paying players unless they agreed to pay cuts. Does any believe that they’ve not made anyone redundant as well as threatening their players?

Kano Kirsty
15-07-2020, 08:30 PM
It’s interesting that I’ve struggled to respond to this thread. My close friend has been offered redundancy, having been furloughed, and as a single mother of 2 children it’s devastating. The circumstances around the pandemic make it understandable but not when we’re shelling out money for players. My friend doesn’t actually like football, yet I do, and whilst I want us to be up there challenging it’s so horrible to know what Ronald Gordon’s plans are. I’m ever the optimist, but even then I can’t hide my disappointment and worry as to what’s happening to my pal.

B.H.F.C
15-07-2020, 09:02 PM
Well done to you Kano Kirsty you are are one of the few people I have seen showing compassion to others while a lot of people were self congratulating on the signings made last week. It is not clear if your friend worked for Hibs or someone else. It must be awful if you were an employee of Hibs and possibly a supporter as well to lose your job while the club according to most reports are spending money on signings. Not a pleasant situation.

Sorry, this is nonsense. There has been no lack of compassion for the people that are losing jobs out of this. That doesn’t mean that Hibs should have retained them all with the fee they used to pay for Nisbet when there isn’t any work for them to do. I do agree with your last sentence, it’s obviously not a pleasant situation.

hibbysam
15-07-2020, 09:03 PM
Well done to you Kano Kirsty you are are one of the few people I have seen showing compassion to others while a lot of people were self congratulating on the signings made last week. It is not clear if your friend worked for Hibs or someone else. It must be awful if you were an employee of Hibs and possibly a supporter as well to lose your job while the club according to most reports are spending money on signings. Not a pleasant situation.

The people losing their jobs, as crap a situation as that is for those individuals, unfortunately aren’t needed for the foreseeable future. Hospitality staff for example, we aren’t going to carry on with that while we don’t have any fans to attend hospitality. That doesn’t mean we’re skint, that just means we are aligning our business to the current situation and is happening all over the world, and happens in every single business constantly.

Do you think we should just carry on paying people who aren’t doing a job currently? Or do you think because we’ve paid these people off that we shouldn’t spend money we have sitting? Stop listening to the MSM and listen to Ron himself telling you exactly what is going on.

poolman
15-07-2020, 09:09 PM

Stop with that nonsense please

GonzoReturns
15-07-2020, 09:11 PM
It is crap 💩 horrible for anyone to lose their job. Industries all over do this continually (with or without pandemic) while also continually investing in other parts of their business. Difference is it’s played out in public when it’s football.

tamig
15-07-2020, 09:16 PM
It’s interesting that I’ve struggled to respond to this thread. My close friend has been offered redundancy, having been furloughed, and as a single mother of 2 children it’s devastating. The circumstances around the pandemic make it understandable but not when we’re shelling out money for players. My friend doesn’t actually like football, yet I do, and whilst I want us to be up there challenging it’s so horrible to know what Ronald Gordon’s plans are. I’m ever the optimist, but even then I can’t hide my disappointment and worry as to what’s happening to my pal.

What are Ron Gordon’s plans that are so horrible to know?

Hibs1969
15-07-2020, 09:29 PM
It's bizarre. Got to be the first kit man to appear on the back page of a tabloid newspaper.

I seem to remember some story about Jimmy Bell the The Rangers’ kitman causing a stooshie a few years back when he was alleged to have failed to properly observe a minute’s silence/applause or such like on the passing of Tommy Burns.

hibbysam
15-07-2020, 09:37 PM
Why are you asking me all these questions? I never said retain anybody. We are skint - we're going to make a substantial loss for the season just ended and it is predicted business will be down 50% for this coming season. This information came from the club itself in the middle of last month. That's who I listened to. You're making assumptions about who I listen to when you have absolutely no idea and likewise I have no idea of what or who you listened to.

Revenues will be down 50%, but our expenditure will be down a great deal as well as we have furloughed many, and are paying off many more who aren’t needed. Your creating holy moly about how bad it is to pay for players during that time, when in reality we have the money to do so. If we were ‘skint’ we wouldn’t be spending up to £250k on a player, we aren’t skint, we will make losses, but we have huge numbers of STH, HSL members and record strip sales. We are also saving a fair whack on outgoing players’ wages and will probably bring in money from Kamberi.

Ron never said we were skint once, just that we were refocusing our efforts to our first team while every penny was a prisoner. People will lose jobs, people will be signed.

Hibs90
15-07-2020, 09:40 PM
This thread is absolutely reeking of fans of a certain Championship club.

Gerard
15-07-2020, 09:50 PM
The club has said that the priority is the first team and for the FT to be as competitive as the finances permit. This will result in some people being made redundant. It will also see the ambitious plans for the club that were mentioned at the AGM being delayed.
We are living in a time that could not have been forseen by the club and consequently the club is having to to reduce its costs.
This does not mean the club lacks compassion for any people made redundant.
The more season tickets that are sold and money donated to Hibernian Supporters will result in less cuts being make by the club.

Inconsequential
15-07-2020, 09:51 PM
Revenues will be down 50%, but our expenditure will be down a great deal as well as we have furloughed many, and are paying off many more who aren’t needed. Your creating holy moly about how bad it is to pay for players during that time, when in reality we have the money to do so. If we were ‘skint’ we wouldn’t be spending up to £250k on a player, we aren’t skint, we will make losses, but we have huge numbers of STH, HSL members and record strip sales. We are also saving a fair whack on outgoing players’ wages and will probably bring in money from Kamberi.

Ron never said we were skint once, just that we were refocusing our efforts to our first team while every penny was a prisoner. People will lose jobs, people will be signed. Ochone.

Andy74
15-07-2020, 09:57 PM

It certainly is.

CentreLine
15-07-2020, 10:12 PM
Completely agree that it is awful that people may lose their jobs.

Only from information on here and working on the back of a fag packet let’s look at the problem. It is suggested that there is a consultation process going on. Also, the more dramatic press coverage suggests as many as 70 people may lose their jobs.
Now we have people making an issue over the club apparently prioritising its primary purpose of putting a team on the park to compete at a reasonable level within Scottish football. The greatest issue seems to be the suggestion that the club,or perhaps just our owner, has spent as much as £250,000 on securing the services of one of the best prospects in the country.
So let’s assume we invested that £250k in retaining some staff. Let’s also make an assumption that those staff were paid only minimum wage, in the region of £150 a week, or £7,800 a year. At that lowest level of earnings £250k would therefore save less than half of that potential 70 job losses. Jobs that the debate on here suggests have no productive purpose for the club at present.

It is a conundrum for sure. Do Hibs decide to act as a compassionate charity and retain these staff but have nothing for them to do?
Alternatively, do Hibs pare down the staff numbers at present and continue to prioritise the core purpose of the club and concentrate only on first team football?

Tough one really, perhaps we should wait to hear the outcome of the consultation process and trust that the people who run our club have a long track record of doing the right thing for the club but also for looking after people where they possibly can. If people lose their jobs I firmly believe it will be because the club have no option but to ensure it retains the ability to compete. After all, the more successful the club is the more people it will ultimately employ and these job losses can be replaced with interest.

If it was me (and I am very glad it is not me) I suspect i would have to go for the latter option, unpopular though that may be.

Inconsequential
15-07-2020, 10:36 PM
Completely agree that it is awful that people may lose their jobs.

Only from information on here and working on the back of a fag packet let’s look at the problem. It is suggested that there is a consultation process going on. Also, the more dramatic press coverage suggests as many as 70 people may lose their jobs.
Now we have people making an issue over the club apparently prioritising its primary purpose of putting a team on the park to compete at a reasonable level within Scottish football. The greatest issue seems to be the suggestion that the club,or perhaps just our owner, has spent as much as £250,000 on securing the services of one of the best prospects in the country.
So let’s assume we invested that £250k in retaining some staff. Let’s also make an assumption that those staff were paid only minimum wage, in the region of £150 a week, or £7,800 a year. At that lowest level of earnings £250k would therefore save less than half of that potential 70 job losses. Jobs that the debate on here suggests have no productive purpose for the club at present.

It is a conundrum for sure. Do Hibs decide to act as a compassionate charity and retain these staff but have nothing for them to do?
Alternatively, do Hibs pare down the staff numbers at present and continue to prioritise the core purpose of the club and concentrate only on first team football?

Tough one really, perhaps we should wait to hear the outcome of the consultation process and trust that the people who run our club have a long track record of doing the right thing for the club but also for looking after people where they possibly can. If people lose their jobs I firmly believe it will be because the club have no option but to ensure it retains the ability to compete. After all, the more successful the club is the more people it will ultimately employ and these job losses can be replaced with interest.

If it was me (and I am very glad it is not me) I suspect i would have to go for the latter option, unpopular though that may be. Good post.

Kano Kirsty
16-07-2020, 07:42 AM
What are Ron Gordon’s plans that are so horrible to know?

Apologies, I’d had a couple of wines which may have been obvious. Kind of wish I hadn’t posted that but my point stands.

What I mean was that it’s horrible (what RG is doing) for my friend to be facing redundancy all the while seeing the club buy players.

Greenbeard
16-07-2020, 07:47 AM
Aye, not just a bit whiffy. Honking.

Jones28
16-07-2020, 07:47 AM
Apologies, I’d had a couple of wines which may have been obvious. Kind of wish I hadn’t posted that but my point stands.

What I mean was that it’s horrible (what RG is doing) for my friend to be facing redundancy all the while seeing the club buy players.

Has your friend had it confirmed that she’s being made redundant?

green day
16-07-2020, 07:57 AM

It depends what point you mean ?

If it is the bald fact that being made redundant is horrible, then thats true - it wont be nice at the time but (speaking from experience) its not always the worst thing that can happen.

However if your point is that a business should not remove people and roles from one part of the business while investing in another, then you are dead wrong - it happens in all businesses, e.g. Michelin close the Dundee factory while investing loads of cash in other factories elsewhere.

Lots of people ask why CEOs and other execs are paid well - one reason is that they have to make the right decisions in the bad times to see the business through the other end.

Heisenberg
16-07-2020, 07:58 AM

While I agree it’s absolutely horrible for your friend to be losing their job in the current climate, it’s going to happen across the UK and beyond. It’s happening at my work just now and I could be affected, the company will continue to invest in the core areas of their business to drive them forwards and remain competitive in their market. Redundancy is never nice and I wouldn’t expect anyone affected to see it from the business point of view.

flash
16-07-2020, 08:12 AM

18 posts and more than a few of them having a pop at the club.

hibee-boys
16-07-2020, 08:17 AM
It's not rocket science, most companies and businesses will be having to re-think their overall business plan following the impact of covid19. Hibs produce a marketable product, this is the first XI, Ron is very clearly aiming to channel as much resource into producing as good a product as we can during this challenging period. If that means cutting back on wages that are not, at this time, contributing directly to the current first XI then so be it. Kit men, office staff, catering, youth coaches etc can be replaced if/when we get through this. It is obviously horrible for any individuals to be put in that position but football is business and I would expect that for the most of us, in particular who have worked in the private sector, we've faced the threat, or have been made redundant, numerous times.

The Count
16-07-2020, 08:34 AM
It's not rocket science, most companies and businesses will be having to re-think their overall business plan following the impact of covid19. Hibs produce a marketable product, this is the first XI, Ron is very clearly aiming to channel as much resource into producing as good a product as we can during this challenging period. If that means cutting back on wages that are not, at this time, contributing directly to the current first XI then so be it. Kit men, office staff, catering, youth coaches etc can be replaced if/when we get through this. It is obviously horrible for any individuals to be put in that position but football is business and I would expect that for the most of us, in particular who have worked in the private sector, we've faced the threat, or have been made redundant, numerous times.

I agree very unfortunate for the folks getting made redundant.But if we did nothing during these times and Hibs got relagated because we did not strength the first time then went into administration what would fans then be saying about Ron????

Lincoln Green
16-07-2020, 08:52 AM
Has anyone actually seen anything to suggest Hibs have paid the entire Nisbet fee to Dunfy upfront?

Is it possible we are paying installments over time?

Wouldn't this ease the financial burden give Dunfy guaranteed income and move things further through the Covid crises until finances get better?

weecounty hibby
16-07-2020, 09:00 AM
My company has cut the capex budget from 260m last year to 120m this year. There are project managers and engineers losing their jobs. We have also just announced 100m investment in another area of the business that is core and key to getting back on track after the virus crisis. We are cutting support staff in HR, procurement and finance as they are just not needed at the moment. Every business in the world will be doing similar. Hibs are doing it and as we have an emotional attachment to Hibs some folk feel we should be acting in a more charitable fashion. No business will do this and as sad as it is what Hibs are having to do it is securing the future of the club

The 90+2
16-07-2020, 09:06 AM
My company has cut the capex budget from 260m last year to 120m this year. There are project managers and engineers losing their jobs. We have also just announced 100m investment in another area of the business that is core and key to getting back on track after the virus crisis. We are cutting support staff in HR, procurement and finance as they are just not needed at the moment. Every business in the world will be doing similar. Hibs are doing it and as we have an emotional attachment to Hibs some folk feel we should be acting in a more charitable fashion. No business will do this and as sad as it is what Hibs are having to do it is securing the future of the club

While I do totally agree, I would counter that sacking the likes of TM and JM does more harm than good overall. It’s not a significant wage and it’s more than just washing football kits.

weecounty hibby
16-07-2020, 09:11 AM
While I do totally agree, I would counter that sacking the likes of TM and JM does more harm than good overall. It’s not a significant wage and it’s more than just washing football kits.

Yeah but where has it been confirmed that is happening? Some bull**** in the daily record with no direct quotes and an assertion that we are paying off 70. FFS we would have no one left if that was the case. If it happens it will be a sad day for them as they have been around ER for a long time but no more sad that the guys I know who are being payed off after 30 years service. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that is the facts of the situation globally at the moment. I have total sympathy for anyone who loses their job ever

Edit. Also it's not a sacking so let's not over dramatise it further. They will be made redundant with a severance package

Keith_M
16-07-2020, 09:16 AM

As others have pointed out, it's a very difficult time for people in loads of industries. I actually think (with only a couple of exceptions), there has been a lot of sympathy for people losing their jobs.

The thing is, spending money on employing players is not the same as employing other members of staff.

This is a football club. Success on the pitch is what creates revenue. If clubs don't invest in the core part of the business (the players), then even more revenue could be lost. Clubs would then either have to downsize even further (yet more job losses) or in some cases could disappear entirely.

As far as I understand it (not being ITK), the club have kept some employees on up till now, even though it was unlikely that their job would even be required for the foreseeable future. It might sound harsh but you simply can't keep doing that indefinitely.

The 90+2
16-07-2020, 09:36 AM
Yeah but where has it been confirmed that is happening? Some bull**** in the daily record with no direct quotes and an assertion that we are paying off 70. FFS we would have no one left if that was the case. If it happens it will be a sad day for them as they have been around ER for a long time but no more sad that the guys I know who are being payed off after 30 years service. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that is the facts of the situation globally at the moment. I have total sympathy for anyone who loses their job ever

Edit. Also it's not a sacking so let's not over dramatise it further. They will be made redundant with a severance package

It’s not mate it’s hypothetical. It’s not just the sentiment of if it happens it’s just a wrong decision overall for the club. I wasn’t dramatising it further either. Chill.

Tug Wilson
16-07-2020, 10:03 AM
In a redundancy consultation all "at risk" employees are informed that they could potentially be made redundant. This could be where the 70 people figure is coming from.

Only once gone through this scenario and it was horrible.

Most of those "at risk" will be kept on as they will have a role to play in the business, but they may be asked to absorb part of another role of a redundant position. Simply, in these situations, businesses make employees work harder for the same money. Happens throughout business.

Support and admin staff are the easiest targets. That is where the cuts will come.

Is Ron Gordon using the pandemic as an opportunity to restructure the club? Probably. However, I suspect that this was going to happen anyway.

superfurryhibby
16-07-2020, 11:06 AM

So, can you acknowledge that no one is being sacked? That implies dismissal via disciplinary action, not being made redundant. Quite a significant difference.

I'm inclined to wait and see who is affected by the measures the club will implement. The rationale has been explained in numerous other posts and what may be happening at Hibs just mirrors common sense business practice elsewhere. I'm puzzled by the more harm, that good overall comment though, that does seem a bit dramatic. What harm are you referring to? Aside from the obvious that no one wants to see anyone else lose their job.

It’s not mate it’s hypothetical. It’s not just the sentiment of if it happens it’s just a wrong decision overall for the club. I wasn’t dramatising it further either. Chill.

Personally, I think I'll trust the people running the club to make the right decisions for the overall benefit of the football team. Reducing costs is sensible. Hard decisions will be made for unprecedented times.

Caversham Green
16-07-2020, 11:31 AM
In a redundancy consultation all "at risk" employees are informed that they could potentially be made redundant. This could be where the 70 people figure is coming from.

Most of those "at risk" will be kept on as they will have a role to play in the business, but they may be asked to absorb part of another role of a redundant position. Simply, in these situations, businesses make employees work harder for the same money. Happens throughout business.

Support and admin staff are the easiest targets. That is where the cuts will come.

Is Ron Gordon using the pandemic as an opportunity to restructure the club? Probably. However, I suspect that this was going to happen anyway.

The only people who would know how many employees were informed they were at risk would be those at the top and they certainly wouldn't be leaking it to the press. 70 looks to me like a thin air figure produced for dramatic effect by sub-standard journalists.

The 90+2
16-07-2020, 11:35 AM
So, can you acknowledge that no one is being sacked? That implies dismissal via disciplinary action, not being made redundant. Quite a significant difference.

I'm inclined to wait and see who is affected by the measures the club will implement. The rationale has been explained in numerous other posts and what may be happening at Hibs just mirrors common sense business practice elsewhere. I'm puzzled by the more harm, that good overall comment though, that does seem a bit dramatic. What harm are you referring to? Aside from the obvious that no one wants to see anyone else lose their job.

Personally, I think I'll trust the people running the club to make the right decisions for the overall benefit of the football team. Reducing costs is sensible. Hard decisions will be made for unprecedented times.

Losing there job not voluntary then.

Trust has to be earned also. What’s the point in just blind faith?

Brightside
16-07-2020, 11:46 AM
People guessing about staff members roles going forward is bang out of order tbh. It's really nothing to do with us. Its been said a million times now, Hibs and the staff are going through an agreed period of consultation. Until thats finished it really is nobody's business but those involved.

RoYO!
16-07-2020, 11:58 AM
When everything has settled down I'd like to think that Tam would be reinstated in his role. Whenever that may be!

JimBHibees
16-07-2020, 12:08 PM
People guessing about staff members roles going forward is bang out of order tbh. It's really nothing to do with us. Its been said a million times now, Hibs and the staff are going through an agreed period of consultation. Until thats finished it really is nobody's business but those involved.

Couldn't agree more. Let the process which will be taking place in almost every organisation in the country runs its course and see what the outcome is.

Gerard
16-07-2020, 12:13 PM
It is possible that some people will move to new job responsibilities .
In the case of the person cleaning the kit,this will still require someone to do it. It could be up to the players to make sure their kit is clean?:wink:

MrSmith
16-07-2020, 12:13 PM

as soon as the lockdown occurred, my son’s flat mate was papped out the Hearts shop where he worked for a couple of years without being offered a contract. So, instead of furlough, they binned him with nothing. Luckily he got a job in Asda fairly quickly. It was utterly disgusting and despicable what Hearts and Ann Budge did to him after all the effort and commitment he put in to work there.

Biggie
16-07-2020, 12:25 PM
Maybe someone said it earlier in the thread, but who is going to do this role if Tam gets made redundant ?
The players wash their own kit ?.....JHC I hope not, not even amateur teams do that.
Outsource it ?.....again, surely what they pay Tam et all is not a million miles from what they would pay a cleaning company to do...and I bet Tam brings a lot more to the party than just the kit man duties.

Strange one...I just can't see Hibs scoring hugely out of this move.
The 1st team is the priority, absolutely agree with that, these are highly tuned athletes who are worth a lot of money to us, they need a support team around them.
Hope this DR story is a load of horse manure.....

Biggie
16-07-2020, 12:27 PM
as soon as the lockdown occurred, my son’s flat mate was papped out the Hearts shop where he worked for a couple of years without being offered a contract. So, instead of furlough, they binned him with nothing. Luckily he got a job in Asda fairly quickly. It was utterly disgusting and despicable what Hearts and Ann Budge did to him after all the effort and commitment he put in to work there.

That's brutal......but unsurprising from that mob.

CMurdoch
16-07-2020, 12:36 PM
What a daft thread this is.
Tam McCourt will be going nowhere. He was just the recognisable hook the press hung this non story on.

There is currently no work for a small number of staff in for example hospitality, cleaning and youth coaching etc. Accordingly they won't be employed by Hibs to do those jobs for a few months until the fans/normality returns. At that point most staff will have the opportunity to return.
Mountain out of a molehill.

The real story is that employment of folk working in the business world is going to be brutally hit by the economic effects of the pandemic. Football in Scotland will bounce back. In the real world companies don't have mad mental customers like us who give them loads of money for potentially nothing in return, they simply go to the wall.

Let this non story go.

Victor
16-07-2020, 12:51 PM
What a daft thread this is.
Tam McCourt will be going nowhere. He was just the recognisable hook the press hung this non story on.

There is currently no work for a small number of staff in for example hospitality, cleaning and youth coaching etc. Accordingly they won't be employed by Hibs to do those jobs for a few months until the fans/normality returns. At that point most staff will have the opportunity to return.
Mountain out of a molehill.

The real story is that employment of folk working in the business world is going to be brutally hit by the economic effects of the pandemic. Football in Scotland will bounce back. In the real world companies don't have mad mental customers like us who give them loads of money for potentially nothing in return, they simply go to the wall.

Let this non story go.

Agree 244 pages of debate over nothing. If there is any truth in it there will be a justifiable reason for it. If not then we have been all round the houses over nothing. The only thing everyone appears to agree on is that Mr. McCourt is a great guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keith_M
16-07-2020, 01:01 PM
Jim Jefferies has discussed in his first interview about clubs making cuts to the non-playing staff and reducing wages, while bringing in new players.

Strangely, he seemed to think it appropriate to use Hibs as an example.

Now I realise Fans are obsessed with their local rivals but that club seems to totally obsessed with Hibs.

Scouse Hibee
16-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Maybe someone said it earlier in the thread, but who is going to do this role if Tam gets made redundant ?
The players wash their own kit ?.....JHC I hope not, not even amateur teams do that.
Outsource it ?.....again, surely what they pay Tam et all is not a million miles from what they would pay a cleaning company to do...and I bet Tam brings a lot more to the party than just the kit man duties.

Strange one...I just can't see Hibs scoring hugely out of this move.
The 1st team is the priority, absolutely agree with that, these are highly tuned athletes who are worth a lot of money to us, they need a support team around them.
Hope this DR story is a load of horse manure.....

Like most organisations, the responsibilities of those made redundant will be split and shared by others in the business or outsourced if a particular skill set is required.

The 90+2
16-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Agree 244 pages of debate over nothing. If there is any truth in it there will be a justifiable reason for it. If not then we have been all round the houses over nothing. The only thing everyone appears to agree on is that Mr. McCourt is a great guy.

So it’s no debate over nothing.
If it’s true it will be justified.
If not then it’s laughable it’s being discussed?

hhibs
16-07-2020, 01:50 PM

Agree with this,it was,for me,always on the cards that RG would have a major restruction.

Let us not forget areas of the club suuch as Marketing and, Commercial operations have,in my opinion,been dire for years.

granty6_2
16-07-2020, 01:52 PM
Redundancy is horrible (been through it myself twice), however the club have to make a business decision.

Yes its a gamble, paying £250k for KN, but he also becomes a business asset, on a 4 year deal.

When we sell him for £5+ million in a few years (after qualifying for the Champions League :wink:) this could become a very clever bit of business.

Victor
16-07-2020, 02:10 PM
So it’s no debate over nothing.
If it’s true it will be justified.
If not then it’s laughable it’s being discussed?

Not laughable, pointless. Unless you believe the club will act in an underhand manner.

malcolm
16-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Undoubtedly sad for anyone’s job to be under threat but an analogy would be a restaurant with a bar area facing up to change due to the pandemic.

So let’s say this fictitious restaurant was the primary part of the business but the bar was somewhere folk went while waiting for a table but some customers just used the bar and it became popular and very busy.

The owner decided to concentrate on the restaurant that now needs to compete better for the fewer customers willing to eat out but can serve fewer tables than before. Some chefs have left already so they need replaced and the owner opts to employ better chefs in the kitchen to improve the menu and quality of the food served. He hopes this will let him both charge the same or more for better meals and run the place fully to new lower capacity. The mostly part time staff employed to clear the tables in the then busy bar now have no work to do and do not have skills to be utilised where they are now needed in the kitchen. He see this as a means for the business to survive and true to the core business. He continues to donate unused food to charity and is sad to let folk go but hopes this is temporary and he can open up the bar area again in the future. Makes me hungry thinking about it.

Since452
16-07-2020, 03:18 PM
Redundancy is horrible (been through it myself twice), however the club have to make a business decision.

Yes its a gamble, paying £250k for KN, but he also becomes a business asset, on a 4 year deal.

When we sell him for £5+ million in a few years (after qualifying for the Champions League :wink:) this could become a very clever bit of business.

The reality of the situation is we're not going to sell Tam the kit man on for a couple of million. If Nisbet continues rattling them in this season like the last two seasons that's the minimum we'd be looking at. It's harsh but football is a harsh business.

The 90+2
16-07-2020, 03:42 PM
The reality of the situation is we're not going to sell Tam the kit man on for a couple of million. If Nisbet continues rattling them in this season like the last two seasons that's the minimum we'd be looking at. It's harsh but football is a harsh business.

That kit man can assist in the striker becoming so comfortable he will go out and make us money.

The 90+2
16-07-2020, 03:42 PM
Not laughable, pointless. Unless you believe the club will act in an underhand manner.

I’ve no idea how Ron Gordon will act or have done. He doesn’t have my blind trust though.

JimBHibees
16-07-2020, 03:47 PM
Has anyone actually seen anything to suggest Hibs have paid the entire Nisbet fee to Dunfy upfront?

Is it possible we are paying installments over time?

Wouldn't this ease the financial burden give Dunfy guaranteed income and move things further through the Covid crises until finances get better?

I would assume that to be the case

Victor
16-07-2020, 04:16 PM
I’ve no idea how Ron Gordon will act or have done. He doesn’t have my blind trust though.

Which is why it is pointless to debate something, that no one outside of the board and the personnel concerned knows anything about. When it is all done and dusted then it’s fair game for everyone to give their opinion and comment.

superfurryhibby
16-07-2020, 04:37 PM
That kit man can assist in the striker becoming so comfortable he will go out and make us money.

I think you may be underestimating the ability of the professional footballer to adapt to a new workplace.

Also, judging by your earlier comment, you need to learn the difference between being made redundant and getting sacked. They are quite significant.

Wilson
16-07-2020, 05:11 PM
Which is why it is pointless to debate something, that no one outside of the board and the personnel concerned knows anything about. When it is all done and dusted then it’s fair game for everyone to give their opinion and comment.

It is fair game now. It is topical, it relates to a current nationally covered news item regarding the club we support. We might not have all the facts but when do we ever?

There is no danger that hibs fans are not going to form an opinion especially when our club is under attack in the press.

Inconsequential
16-07-2020, 05:20 PM
People guessing about staff members roles going forward is bang out of order tbh. It's really nothing to do with us. Its been said a million times now, Hibs and the staff are going through an agreed period of consultation. Until thats finished it really is nobody's business but those involved. Indeed.

The_Sauz
16-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Care to explain in a bit more detail:confused:

Hibs1969
16-07-2020, 09:35 PM
So to summarise -

During the worst health pandemic for a century, and in common with many other clubs, Hibs may or may not make some staff redundant;
If they opt to do so, it may take the form of voluntary or compulsory redundancy;
It’s not known which members of staff, or how many, will be affected;
Tam the kitman (or Mrs Tam) may or may not be happy to take a package, if offered;
certain red top tabloids may or may not spout utter sh*t rather than take a proper journalistic look at what’s actually happening.

Have I missed anything?