PDA

View Full Version : Alan Hansen

Hillsidehibby
12-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Just watched a documentary about him. He said he had trials at Hibs and Eddie Turnbull asked him to sign. He refused saying he was only there to make his dad happy but didn't want to play football. He wanted to be a golfer.

I didn't know that.

chrisski33
12-07-2020, 02:51 PM
was a good programme. wish we made players like them nowadays

Iggy Pope
12-07-2020, 02:52 PM
Just watched a documentary about him. He said he had trials at Hibs and Eddie Turnbull asked him to sign. He refused saying he was only there to make his dad happy but didn't want to play football. He wanted to be a golfer.

I didn't know that.

It was a pretty good watch, he had some career.

offshorehibby
12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Never liked him.

Southern branch used to have a trip down to Liverpool most years and were always in the Liverpool supporters club. Anyway Hansen's there this night got speaking to us cause we were Scottish. Spent all night slagging Alan Rough who was or had recently left Hibs. His slagging of him got relay nasty, Roughie had obviously done his bird or shat in his cornflakes, so took a disliking to him from then

DIXIHIBS
12-07-2020, 04:09 PM
Never liked him.

Southern branch used to have a trip down to Liverpool most years and were always in the Liverpool supporters club. Anyway Hansen's there this night got speaking to us cause we were Scottish. Spent all night slagging Alan Rough who was or had recently left Hibs. His slagging of him got relay nasty, Roughie had obviously done his bird or shat in his cornflakes, so took a disliking to him from then
First time post on hibs.net!!! I was there that night in liverpool. Hansen is a tosser.

Killiehibbie
12-07-2020, 04:36 PM
Never liked him since that game against Russia and even less when he referred to England as we! At least Shearer pulled him up for it.

Peevemor
12-07-2020, 04:40 PM
Never liked him since that game against Russia and even less when he referred to England as we! At least Shearer pulled him up for it.Him & Souness tackling each other is always the first thing that I think of when Hansen is mentioned.

HoboHarry
12-07-2020, 04:44 PM
Him & Souness tackling each other is always the first thing that I think of when Hansen is mentioned.

Him and Willie Miller no?

hibeg
12-07-2020, 04:44 PM
Him & Souness tackling each other is always the first thing that I think of when Hansen is mentioned.
Willie Miller, wasn’t it ?

Killiehibbie
12-07-2020, 04:47 PM

it was. Dark haired with moustache, easy mistake

Peevemor
12-07-2020, 04:53 PM
Miller it was yes. Sorry it's my birthday and I'm not empty.

hibeg
12-07-2020, 04:54 PM
it was. Dark haired with moustache, easy mistake

I was at the game , remember the mix up clearly but can’t remember our 2 goals 😂

LeithMike
12-07-2020, 05:10 PM
Watched this as well last night. Unbelievable that the captain of the Liverpool Nobel-winning 86 team didnt make the Scotland World Cuo Squad a month later. Pretty shocking really.

Don't know what he's like but he came across as a kind and gentle man. Kenny is saint so if he's still mates with him after all these years then he cant be too bad.

I vaguely remember watching him as a player when younger but seeing some of the footage now, I didnt realise what a class player he was. Streets ahead of Miller and McLeish who were both very good footballers.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Cat Stanton
12-07-2020, 05:23 PM
Watched this as well last night. Unbelievable that the captain of the Liverpool Nobel-winning 86 team didnt make the Scotland World Cuo Squad a month later. Pretty shocking really.

Don't know what he's like but he came across as a kind and gentle man. Kenny is saint so if he's still mates with him after all these years then he cant be too bad.

I vaguely remember watching him as a player when younger but seeing some of the footage now, I didnt realise what a class player he was. Streets ahead of Miller and McLeish who were both very good footballers.

I've never liked him - and I'm no fan of Match of the Day generally and their massively, massively overpaid pundits - but actually I thought he came across really well in the programme. Although he always looked laid back to the point of arrogance on the telly, he was apparently a bag of nerves each and every time. The family came across well too - just ordinary folk from Sauchie. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Obviously Laurenson, Shearer, Linekar et al confirmed their tosser status tho...

EI255
12-07-2020, 05:25 PM
Never liked him.

Southern branch used to have a trip down to Liverpool most years and were always in the Liverpool supporters club. Anyway Hansen's there this night got speaking to us cause we were Scottish. Spent all night slagging Alan Rough who was or had recently left Hibs. His slagging of him got relay nasty, Roughie had obviously done his bird or shat in his cornflakes, so took a disliking to him from thenWouldn't take it to hear too much. Probably harps back to their Scotland days and suchlike.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
12-07-2020, 05:25 PM

To be fair to Kenny, think it required surgery

Dalglish I think pulled out with a knee injury, after the squad was announced, don’t think he was too happy his big pal wasn’t included

offshorehibby
12-07-2020, 05:30 PM
Wouldn't take it to hear too much. Probably harps back to their Scotland days and suchlike.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I vaguely remember Roughie let in a couple of howlers for Scotland being the reason but Roughie could do no wrong to us young Hibbys at the time.

Keyser Sauzee
12-07-2020, 05:53 PM
His playing career was well before my time but I’ve always wondered why he didn’t play far more for Scotland

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Jockey oozed class as our captain, a tremendous footballer and a Liverpool legend.

Leithenhibby
12-07-2020, 06:01 PM
It was a pretty good watch, he had some career.

What channel, IP?

Hillsidehibby
12-07-2020, 06:06 PM
what channel, ip?

bbc 1

Leithenhibby
12-07-2020, 06:11 PM
bbc 1

:aok:

Iggy Pope
12-07-2020, 06:53 PM
:aok:

It came on after MOTD last night. It was a documentary narrated / presented by Gary Lineker.

green with envy
12-07-2020, 06:55 PM

It was indeed. Was at that game.😭

BILLYHIBS
12-07-2020, 07:01 PM
Did he no have a big brother John who was also decent played for t’ Jags and got capped by Scotland?

oneone73
12-07-2020, 07:01 PM
His playing career was well before my time but I’ve always wondered why he didn’t play far more for Scotland

Because Willie Miller was better. Best penalty box tackler in the game.

Iggy Pope
12-07-2020, 07:02 PM
Did he no have a big brother John who was also decent played for t’ Jags and got capped by Scotland?

Yes. Features heavily in the programme.

BILLYHIBS
12-07-2020, 07:03 PM
Yes. Features heavily in the programme.

Link ?

Channel?

hibsbollah
12-07-2020, 07:04 PM
My main complaint about him was he was just a crap BBC pundit. Him and Lawrenson showed no obvious enjoyment in what they were doing and his analysis went no further than a general moan about 'woeful defending'.

greenlex
12-07-2020, 07:04 PM
Only met him once and that was on a golf course. FWIW he was an arrogant prick to play with. Half decent golfer too.

Iggy Pope
12-07-2020, 07:07 PM
Link ?

Channel?

See earlier posts?

Leithenhibby
12-07-2020, 07:07 PM
It came on after MOTD last night. It was a documentary narrated / presented by Gary Lineker.

Cheers ma man, will get a hold of it on iplayer...

Mibbes Aye
12-07-2020, 07:08 PM
He came through at a time when Scotland was spoiled in the centre of defence. Miller, McLeish, Gough, Nicol, Evans, Burns, Narey, McQueen all spanned his playing career. Paul Hegarty only got one cap IIRC.

Iggy Pope
12-07-2020, 07:09 PM
Cheers ma man, will get a hold of it on iplayer...

It’s worth watching. He is a pompous twat but a colourful career and some nice anecdotes. Particularly emotional viewing around Hillsborough and Heysel which he was in the middle of.

BILLYHIBS
12-07-2020, 07:11 PM
See earlier posts?

Nae bother will try catch up or BBCi Player

lord bunberry
12-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Was it Hansen that scored that goal where he chipped it over an on running defence and ran through to score?

stu in nottingham
12-07-2020, 07:45 PM
He came through at a time when Scotland was spoiled in the centre of defence. Miller, McLeish, Gough, Nicol, Evans, Burns, Narey, McQueen all spanned his playing career. Paul Hegarty only got one cap IIRC.

I always felt that Hansen was the equal or superior to all these (excellent) players. It's understandable in some ways that the excellent club pairing of Miller and McLeish were kept together but in my view, neither were remotely in the class of Hansen.

He had a bit of a reputation for playing a Liverpool game on a Saturday, pulling out injured for Scotland on a Wednesday then returing fully fit for Liverpool the following Saturday.

Mibbes Aye
12-07-2020, 08:02 PM
I always felt that Hansen was the equal or superior to all these (excellent) players. It's understandable in some ways that the excellent club pairing of Miller and McLeish were kept together but in my view, neither were remotely in the class of Hansen.

He had a bit of a reputation for playing a Liverpool game on a Saturday, pulling out injured for Scotland on a Wednesday then returing fully fit for Liverpool the following Saturday.
Yeah, I vaguely remember that, though social media wasn’t around then, so speculation wasn’t as rife. What’s interesting looking at my list is there’s no OF players there. When Hansen was playing, Gough was at Dundee Utd and Spurs.

It is a difficult one because Hansen was classy, but Miller and McLeish had a solid understanding of each other’s games. Kenny Burns was an exceptional player though I think he and Hansen overlapped by only a couple of years. Some years later Nicol was a real talent, the rest were all accomplished players and then you had the likes of Hegarty, and there will be others, who were simply crowded out from the starting XI.

stu in nottingham
12-07-2020, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I vaguely remember that, though social media wasn’t around then, so speculation wasn’t as rife. What’s interesting looking at my list is there’s no OF players there. When Hansen was playing, Gough was at Dundee Utd and Spurs.

It is a difficult one because Hansen was classy, but Miller and McLeish had a solid understanding of each other’s games. Kenny Burns was an exceptional player though I think he and Hansen overlapped by only a couple of years. Some years later Nicol was a real talent, the rest were all accomplished players and then you had the likes of Hegarty, and there will be others, who were simply crowded out from the starting XI.

Kenny Burns was an interesting one. In 1977-78 he won the Championship and League Cup with Forest, also winning the Football Writers player of the year. He was incredible for Forest at that time, almost unbeatable. Quite audacious against soe very good players he was marking too. Recall one Saturday afternoon at the City Ground he and Andy Gray were chasing down a long punt. Burns go there first, tipped it over his and Gray's head whilst facing his own goal and walked around him strolling off with the ball. This sort of stuff was quite normal. He finally got recognised by Scotland and for me, didn't look the same player.

I always fett Miller a dogged and organised player but as slow as a wet weekend whilst McLeish was good at what he did if maybe a bit one-dimensional as a defender.

I liked McQueen a lot. He was very strong and dominant and great in the air in both boxes. Martin Buchan was a terrific footballer. Gough was classy and strong as well.

I felt at the time that Lawrenson and Hansen were the yardstick at the time, just as McFarland and Todd at Derby, obviuosly England players had been previously. These guys were as good as it got for home-bread defender pairings at the time. To me they were operating at a much higher personal level than Miller and McLeish, no disprespect intended.

gbhibby
12-07-2020, 09:00 PM
Hansen was a good performer in a excellent Liverpool side. Unfortunately he never replicated this form in a Scotland Jersey. As previous posters have mentioned there was a lot of competition at the time in his position and others performed much better than him in a Scotland Jersey.

Tomsk
12-07-2020, 09:02 PM
We all see it differently. They were both outstanding players - oh to have one of them now! But I thought Miller was a far better defender than Hansen, and I would have picked him first every time. His reading of the game was exceptional. He consistently snuffed out things before they escalated. He was brilliant at holding up players and pushing them into areas where they didn't want to go. Most of his work was unspectacular, anticipation and prevention rather than remedial.

Anyway, none of this matters. The real question is, which of them was responsible for the goal against the Ruskies?

Answer: Hansen all day.

BILLYHIBS
12-07-2020, 09:42 PM
I remember one game a European Championship qualifier back in 1983 versus Switzerland.

Jock Stein tried Willie Miller and Alan Hansen together they conceded a soft goal from a straight forward corner kick situation ( Leighton didnae look too good either).

Hansen got hooked at half-time for McLeish only for Scotland to lose another soft avoidable headed goal after the restart

Scotland managed to claw it back through goals from Wark and Nicholas but I do not think Stein trusted Hansen after that game as he did not start for Scotland again until Andy Roxburgh three and a half years later

jae
12-07-2020, 09:51 PM
Only met him once and that was on a golf course. FWIW he was an arrogant prick to play with. Half decent golfer too.
Was at a pub quiz night at Easter Road a few years ago with a panel that included Kenny Dalglish.
He told a story about playing golf with Alan Hansen. They were standing on the tee and Hansen teed off. Ball flew off the tee straight as a dye right down the middle for yards.
"What about that for a drive Kenny?" Hansen says
Dalglish turns through 180 degrees and with his dour expression says "Aye no bad, but the hole's that way" :greengrin:greengrin

Halifaxhibby
12-07-2020, 10:49 PM
The brain of punditry?. Aye, maybe amongst the likes of linker, lawrenson and co. Decent player but the guy would eat himself if he was chocolate!.

jgl07
12-07-2020, 11:21 PM

All the Liverpool Scots (apart from Kenny D) would pull sickies before every round of International fixtures. It happened for years.

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2020, 11:47 PM
All the Liverpool Scots (apart from Kenny D) would pull sickies before every round of International fixtures. It happened for years.

Thank **** they did, couldn’t have any of our stars injured playing for Scotland!

Mibbes Aye
13-07-2020, 01:14 AM
Kenny Burns was an interesting one. In 1977-78 he won the Championship and League Cup with Forest, also winning the Football Writers player of the year. He was incredible for Forest at that time, almost unbeatable. Quite audacious against soe very good players he was marking too. Recall one Saturday afternoon at the City Ground he and Andy Gray were chasing down a long punt. Burns go there first, tipped it over his and Gray's head whilst facing his own goal and walked around him strolling off with the ball. This sort of stuff was quite normal. He finally got recognised by Scotland and for me, didn't look the same player.

I always fett Miller a dogged and organised player but as slow as a wet weekend whilst McLeish was good at what he did if maybe a bit one-dimensional as a defender.

I liked McQueen a lot. He was very strong and dominant and great in the air in both boxes. Martin Buchan was a terrific footballer. Gough was classy and strong as well.

I felt at the time that Lawrenson and Hansen were the yardstick at the time, just as McFarland and Todd at Derby, obviuosly England players had been previously. These guys were as good as it got for home-bread defender pairings at the time. To me they were operating at a much higher personal level than Miller and McLeish, no disprespect intended.

I always thought Burns won FWA POTY two years in a row but I was mistaken!

Also reminded me of John McGovern. I’m not sure anyone can imagine how a guy who wins two European Cups, an English League title, and two English League Cups never gets capped for Scotland!

And again, it wasn’t really OF bias. We were playing Masson, Rioch, Souness, Gemmill, Hartford, Wark, Robertson et al, who were plying their trade in what was then the English First Division.

Green_one
13-07-2020, 02:19 AM
I remember one game a European Championship qualifier back in 1983 versus Switzerland.

Jock Stein tried Willie Miller and Alan Hansen together they conceded a soft goal from a straight forward corner kick situation ( Leighton didnae look too good either).

Hansen got hooked at half-time for McLeish only for Scotland to lose another soft avoidable headed goal after the restart

Scotland managed to claw it back through goals from Wark and Nicholas but I do not think Stein trusted Hansen after that game as he did not start for Scotland again until Andy Roxburgh three and a half years later

Charlie Nicholas scored a very special goal. Knocked it from one foot to volley with the other .

Mibbes Aye
13-07-2020, 03:14 AM
Charlie Nicholas scored a very special goal. Knocked it from one foot to volley with the other .

It was an absolute belter and I worshipped Charlie Nic for a few years after that. John Wark's goal was also special.

But Charlie's was probably the best I have seen in a Scotland game. Honourable mentions to Archie Gemmill in the 78 WC and Dave Narey in the 82 WC and Kenny Dalgish in a qualifier against Spain in the early eighties. Yet for some reason, I still hanker after John Robertson's penalty to secure a 1-0 win at Wembley in 1979 (IIRC)

It is funny how older memories stick more than newer ones. We played the CIS in Euro 1992 - for younger viewers the CIS was a mash-up of the various USSR states that had all become independent states circa 1989-1990. It didnt last long.

We were in a brutal group, played CIS last and won three-nil and I think some of our goals were cracking, can't be bothered looking them up just now.

What I do remember is our scorers were McStay, McClair and McAllister and I would be surprised if three different Mcs had ever scored in the same match fot Scotland.

Nakedmanoncrack
13-07-2020, 08:17 AM
It was an absolute belter and I worshipped Charlie Nic for a few years after that. John Wark's goal was also special.

But Charlie's was probably the best I have seen in a Scotland game. Honourable mentions to Archie Gemmill in the 78 WC and Dave Narey in the 82 WC and Kenny Dalgish in a qualifier against Spain in the early eighties. Yet for some reason, I still hanker after John Robertson's penalty to secure a 1-0 win at Wembley in 1979 (IIRC)

It is funny how older memories stick more than newer ones. We played the CIS in Euro 1992 - for younger viewers the CIS was a mash-up of the various USSR states that had all become independent states circa 1989-1990. It didnt last long.

We were in a brutal group, played CIS last and won three-nil and I think some of our goals were cracking, can't be bothered looking them up just now.

What I do remember is our scorers were McStay, McClair and McAllister and I would be surprised if three different Mcs had ever scored in the same match fot Scotland.

1981 for Robertson pen at Wembley👍🏼

superfurryhibby
13-07-2020, 10:22 AM
Hansen was unquestionably an excellent footballer, one of the best in a supreme era for a Liverpool side that had a core of Scottish players at it’s heart.

The reasons why he one so few caps are complex. His own attitude to selection seemed fickle and his commitment was lacking compared to the likes of McLeish, who’s cap total speak for itself on that front. Hansen was obviously a more talented player, but at a time when we had so many good central defenders (Buchan, Burns, Evans, McQueen, Hegarty, Narey and were regularly qualifying for World Cups, I suspect Hansen’s seeming ambivalent attitude was a big factor as to why he wasn’t favoured.

Comparisons with other players are always a challenge, but for younger netters, It’s worth pointing out that Willie Miller was an incredibly powerful defender. Good enough on the ball to play in any side in his pomp and a total ******* on the field. Hard as nails, brilliant reader of the game, strong in the tackle.

Miller was a one club man. He could have moved down south and he would have been a huge success there. Instead, he took Aberdeen to unprecedented success and established himself as a legend of our game.