PDA

View Full Version : Jack Charlton Rip

Green Manalishi
11-07-2020, 08:12 AM
Sorry to see that he passed away this morning age 85 after a long battle with dementia and cancer

JimBHibees
11-07-2020, 08:14 AM
Huge personality and had a great career. RIP Jack.

Sad time for Leeds fans given recent death of Norman Hunter also.

Sammy7nil
11-07-2020, 08:16 AM
Sad news RIP big man

Pretty Boy
11-07-2020, 08:17 AM
Aah that's sad news. Too young to remember him as a player but remember him managing Ireland. I was on holiday when USA 94 was taking place and watched a couple of Ireland games with the Irish who were staying in our hotel, which seemed liked half of Dublin. They worshipped the man.

RIP.

Scouse Hibee
11-07-2020, 08:18 AM
Loved watching his Republic teams at the World Cups, he seemed to be the man who started the trend of seeking out players with distant links and relatives making them eligible to play for the a country other than their birthplace. “What’s that son, your granny once had a pint of Guinness, you’re in’”😁

RIP Jack Charlton

Tom Hart RIP
11-07-2020, 08:27 AM
Sad news. I was there the night he scored the goal that knocked us out of the Fairs Cup.
RIP

Hibby Gav
11-07-2020, 08:30 AM
RIP Jack.... that World Cup ( not that one) with Ireland in the US was brilliant !

GIBBY NEWTON
11-07-2020, 08:40 AM
Sorry to see that he passed away this morning age 85 after a long battle with dementia and cancer

Great player & a Loyal club man done it all with England what you seen was what you got. After finishing playing Highlight managing Ireland for sure gave it all a real Legend in football & Life irrespective of where you where born. Seen him at ER & Elland rd back in the day .

BroxburnHibee
11-07-2020, 08:40 AM
Sad news.

Roxyhibee
11-07-2020, 08:42 AM
1968, over 40,000 at Easter Road - Can still see his big bald heid under the floodlights rising above our defenders and scoring against us with a few minutes to play after Clive Thomas had given a free kick against our keeper for taking more than 4 steps.! My dad and uncles were going ballistic.! Out of Europe, 2-1 on aggregate. But Jack seemed a genuine character and his managerial exploits with Ireland were top entertainment. RIP.

EdinMike
11-07-2020, 08:46 AM
https://youtu.be/Cm84YD0NH30

Even though I was 6 years old at the time I still remember a lot of games from US 94. I obviously didn't really understand at that point Ireland playing Italy in America, in NYC, must have been huge. I do remember this game vaguely though.

CropleyWasGod
11-07-2020, 08:48 AM
23 years with Leeds. 23 years.

Changed days. Many players these days don't last 23 months.

In an era of dirty big *******s, it has to be said he was up there with the dirtiest 🙏. 😁

hibsfan7
11-07-2020, 08:52 AM
I saw him play the 1st time hibs played leeds in europe hescored the winning goal with a header

Scorrie
11-07-2020, 08:52 AM
Loved watching his Republic teams at the World Cups, he seemed to be the man who started the trend of seeking out players with distant links and relatives making them eligible to play for the a country other than their birthplace. “What’s that son, your granny once had a pint of Guinness, you’re in’”😁

Wasn’t even that tenuous with Tony Cascarino!

Hillsidehibby
11-07-2020, 08:53 AM
https://youtu.be/Cm84YD0NH30

Even though I was 6 years old at the time I still remember a lot of games from US 94. I obviously didn't really understand at that point Ireland playing Italy in America, in NYC, must have been huge. I do remember this game vaguely though.

Watched this game in a pub in Dublin. Crazy scenes.

scuttle
11-07-2020, 08:59 AM
RIP Big Jack

Tom Hart RIP
11-07-2020, 09:14 AM
https://theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2020/07/the-night-big-jack-ended-hibs-european-dreams/

Different world.

Pagan Hibernia
11-07-2020, 09:54 AM
He’ll be missed. An absolute hero in the Republic of Ireland.

he was a great character from a bygone age. To be honest, the football his teams played was from a bygone age too. As much success as that Ireland team had they were not easy on the eye.

JohnMcM
11-07-2020, 10:07 AM
1968, over 40,000 at Easter Road - Can still see his big bald heid under the floodlights rising above our defenders and scoring against us with a few minutes to play after Clive Thomas had given a free kick against our keeper for taking more than 4 steps.! My dad and uncles were going ballistic.! Out of Europe, 2-1 on aggregate. But Jack seemed a genuine character and his managerial exploits with Ireland were top entertainment. RIP.

The Shed end that night was brilliant. We really thought we had won it until that free kick. He seemed to tower above everyone else for ages. A truly cold night as well as a long dream-broken walk home.

RIP big fella.

hibsbollah
11-07-2020, 10:12 AM
Met him once, loves his fishing more than anyone I’ve ever met. Liked a chat. Didn’t have a good word to say about wor bobby. Also the hardest looking pensioner ever.

G B Young
11-07-2020, 10:14 AM
23 years with Leeds. 23 years.

Changed days. Many players these days don't last 23 months.

In an era of dirty big *******s, it has to be said he was up there with the dirtiest 🙏. 😁

I think quite a few of his Leeds team-mates from that era were also with the club for many years.

Who is Hibs' longest serving player?

Iggy Pope
11-07-2020, 10:46 AM
Sad to hear this, a real character and one that would never have to pay for a pint in Ireland.
Leeds United have lost a lot of ex players these past few months.
R.I.P. Jack.

jgl07
11-07-2020, 10:46 AM
Great player and underrated manager.

I met him once in the garage at the Maybury. He was in Edinburgh for the funeral of Don Revie and stopped in the garage to buy some cigarettes.

He once said that giving up smoking was dead easy and that he had given up six times!

Iggy Pope
11-07-2020, 10:47 AM
I think quite a few of his Leeds team-mates from that era were also with the club for many years.

Arthur Duncan at a guess? Lawrie Reilly?

CropleyWasGod
11-07-2020, 10:54 AM
Arthur Duncan at a guess? Lawrie Reilly?

Arthur was 15 years. Lawrie "only" 12.

AD played nearly twice as many games, which tells its own story.

CropleyWasGod
11-07-2020, 10:56 AM
Met him once, loves his fishing more than anyone I’ve ever met. Liked a chat. Didn’t have a good word to say about wor bobby. Also the hardest looking pensioner ever.

He fell out with Bobby a long time ago, as did their Mum.

tamig
11-07-2020, 11:31 AM

He once said about Bobby “my brother might have been a better footballer than me, but I’m a far better bloke.”

RIP Jack.

Sir David Gray
11-07-2020, 12:01 PM

Gordon Smith I think - 18 years.

cabbageandribs1875
11-07-2020, 12:07 PM
so sad :( his whole playing career at just one club was extraordinary, bags of character, leeds fans certainly going through the emotional wringer the last several months with this news along with trevor cherry and norman hunter(covid -19) passing away

RIP big man.

Colr
11-07-2020, 12:18 PM
Sad the hear this.

He obviously is a legend in Ireland and Leeds but I remember how insightful and wise he was as a pundit. No matter the game, if he was reviewing it, I would listen as I always learned something from him.

Bobbie Robson was the same. Really understood the game inside out.

norwayhibs
11-07-2020, 01:38 PM
R.I.P Big Jack 😢

stalbanshibby
11-07-2020, 01:39 PM
Met big Jack just after ‘66 World Cup. He signed a copy of my Tremeloes Silence is Golden single that I’d just bought at a stall in Petticoat Lane market. I’d have been 9.

The 90+2
11-07-2020, 01:46 PM
Sad news. RIP Mr Charlton. Seemed a genuinely nice guy.

AltheHibby
11-07-2020, 03:03 PM
Sad news. A football legend and a lovely man. RIP.

ACLeith
11-07-2020, 03:26 PM
https://theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2020/07/the-night-big-jack-ended-hibs-european-dreams/

Different world.

Still got clear memories of that game, a great report that covers exactly how I felt at the time. Cheated by a biased ref, who’d have ever thought that could happen! JC was an “uncompromising” centre half i.e. as dirty as anybody could be at the time but someone who you’d want to be beside you if the going got tough.

heretoday
11-07-2020, 04:10 PM
He cheated us out of a place in the next round of the Fairs Cup. Leeds were terrible cheats.

Personally, I don't remember him with any affection.

He was great for Ireland.

EI255
11-07-2020, 05:19 PM
Ireland legend.

RIP JC

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Roxyhibee
11-07-2020, 05:22 PM
He cheated us out of a place in the next round of the Fairs Cup. Leeds were terrible cheats.

Jack Charlton cheated Hibs out of a place in the Fairs Cup - how.?

Billy Whizz
11-07-2020, 05:22 PM
Real shame that him and his brother didn’t get on
Wonder how Bobby is feeling today

scoopyboy
11-07-2020, 05:32 PM

Jack Charlton scored the goal that put us out but he never cheated.

Lago
11-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Real shame that him and his brother didn’t get on
Wonder how Bobby is feeling today
I think there was something of a reconciliation some years ago.

Lago
11-07-2020, 07:08 PM
Jack Charlton scored the goal that put us out but he never cheated.
Correct

Billy Whizz
11-07-2020, 07:10 PM
I think there was something of a reconciliation some years ago.

That’s nice to hear, thanks

JimBHibees
11-07-2020, 07:29 PM
That’s nice to hear, thanks

Think Bobbys wife fell out with his mum and caused family rift over the years. Shame.

G15 Hibs
11-07-2020, 07:37 PM
Saw this from John O'Farrell on Twitter :

"I remember in 1984, Wogan asking Jack Charlton what he'd have done if it hadn't been for football.
'I would have gone down the pit, wouldn't I?'
'And... would you be on strike now?'
'OF COURSE I WOULD - those lads, they're just trying to save jobs and their communities.'

McD
11-07-2020, 07:39 PM
Genuinely saddened when I heard he’d passed away, a giant of a man in more ways than one, who walked his own path to his own beat throughout his life, and was incredibly successful wherever he went

hibsbollah
11-07-2020, 08:00 PM
Genuinely saddened when I heard he’d passed away, a giant of a man in more ways than one, who walked his own path to his own beat throughout his life, and was incredibly successful wherever he went

Interesting you say that, his physical stature was the thing that jumped out at me. He was probably around my height, but he looked about three inches taller in the flesh and his whole demeanour was of a giant looming over everyone else. A friendly intelligent man fiercely proud of being a Geordie, but looked like he could rip your head off without breaking sweat.

supermcginn
11-07-2020, 08:05 PM

Very poor. A man has died rip jack

Scottie
11-07-2020, 08:09 PM

What a classless post, the big man has just lost his long battle. RIP Jackie

kaimendhibs
11-07-2020, 09:35 PM
Very sad. RIP Jack

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

gazzag70
11-07-2020, 09:40 PM
One of footballs great characters. R.I.P.

Aalborg Hibs
11-07-2020, 09:48 PM
RIP Big Man.
And we'll follow Jack's Heroes whatever they do......
https://youtu.be/gmxMe4mrzBs

Iggy Pope
11-07-2020, 09:48 PM

Get away man.

Iggy Pope
11-07-2020, 09:49 PM
Met big Jack just after ‘66 World Cup. He signed a copy of my Tremeloes Silence is Golden single that I’d just bought at a stall in Petticoat Lane market. I’d have been 9.

That is the stuff.

Scouse Hibee
11-07-2020, 10:46 PM

Not sure why you came on the thread then?

G B Young
11-07-2020, 11:53 PM
Arthur was 15 years. Lawrie "only" 12.

AD played nearly twice as many games, which tells its own story.

Something that I think often gets forgotten due to the fact he had such a great Hibs and Scotland career and scored so many goals was that Lawrie was only 29 when he had to retire through injury. Can only imagine how many he'd have scored if he'd played for another five or six years.

Sammy7nil
12-07-2020, 08:00 AM
Saw this from John O'Farrell on Twitter :

"I remember in 1984, Wogan asking Jack Charlton what he'd have done if it hadn't been for football.
'I would have gone down the pit, wouldn't I?'
'And... would you be on strike now?'
'OF COURSE I WOULD - those lads, they're just trying to save jobs and their communities.'

Many think his support for the miners stopped him getting the England job. It appears he never never forgot where he came from.

One Day
12-07-2020, 08:41 AM

That's just ridiculous

Green Manalishi
12-07-2020, 09:49 AM
Many think his support for the miners stopped him getting the England job. It appears he never never forgot where he came from. To get the England job you had to be a FA yes man and managers like Jack and Brian Clough didnt fit the bill. In these days the FA didnt even like the players having a personality or an opinion. This has been proved when you look at the amount of top class English players in the 70s and early 80s who couldnt get near the national side or just got 1 or 2 caps

Brizo
12-07-2020, 09:53 AM

Poor post. About as insensitive and callous as you can get.

Superfurry72
12-07-2020, 10:02 AM
I’m good friends with one of his nephews, who lived in Midlothian for a bit when his dad (Jack’s younger brother) worked for the Mines Rescue. When he was up here he became a committed Hibee, so he’ll be very touched to read (most of) these messages. I’ll make sure he sees them.

stu in nottingham
12-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Jack seemed a likeable and straight talking big man with a larger than life personality. He was also a more effective footballer than he was sometimes given credit for, you don't play over 600 times for a club team of the quality he did without great ability, even if his skill was in stopping others playing as he would readily say.

He was always a threat and nuisance in the opposition box too, especially with his tactic of placing himself in front of the keeper unsighting them in dead ball situations. Memories of his various scraps with Denis Law in particular too. I think he said that Denis was his most difficult opponent and that he hated playing against him. Both would give and good as they received in their encounters, cue the infamous images of the Lawman with his shirt ripped, half hanging off him after one exchange of niceties. Another funny memory comes from his punditry years and his prononciation of the Dutch superstar's name 'Joe-Ann Cruff'! :greengrin

I liked the fact Jack remained true to his roots. He once said that he never wanted to manage 'down south' and loved living and working in his favourite North-East. An engaging, honest man, what a career he had. No wonder the Irish loved him.

Renfrew_Hibby
12-07-2020, 01:22 PM
He came across as a lovely big chap. Rip Jack.

Iggy Pope
12-07-2020, 02:56 PM
I’m good friends with one of his nephews, who lived in Midlothian for a bit when his dad (Jack’s younger brother) worked for the Mines Rescue. When he was up here he became a committed Hibee, so he’ll be very touched to read (most of) these messages. I’ll make sure he sees them.

Is that the Charlton brother who was instrumental in the England ‘Walking Football’ side? I seen an article about him a while back. Nice link to the Hibs there my friend.

Killiehibbie
12-07-2020, 04:46 PM
He was an honest down to earth guy who played to his strengths. I wish there were more of him in the world.

gogsy23
12-07-2020, 08:08 PM
Does he still work for mines rescue? We do yearly training there.

I would have loved to hear some of the tales of footy fishing and country life. Hopefully there will be a documentary of his life soon

Stonewall
12-07-2020, 08:46 PM
I’m sure I read somewhere many years ago that on side of the Charlton family was Scottish and that they were eligible to play had they elected.

gbhibby
12-07-2020, 11:37 PM
Good old fashioned stopper honest guy who can ever forget his TV interview about opposition players that were on his hit list. Would have been banned for months if he came out with that today. As a manager made the game simple but knew his stuff.

Kato
13-07-2020, 12:26 AM
I’m sure I read somewhere many years ago that on side of the Charlton family was Scottish and that they were eligible to play had they elected.Not back then surely. Joe Baker wasn't allowed to play for Scotland.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Superfurry72
13-07-2020, 07:08 AM
Is that the Charlton brother who was instrumental in the England ‘Walking Football’ side? I seen an article about him a while back. Nice link to the Hibs there my friend.

Aye, that’s my mate’s dad Tommy. He’s the loveliest bloke you could wish to meet.

Superfurry72
13-07-2020, 07:10 AM
Does he still work for mines rescue? We do yearly training there.

I would have loved to hear some of the tales of footy fishing and country life. Hopefully there will be a documentary of his life soon

He’s retired and living in Yorkshire now. He has many, many amazing tales as you can imagine!