PDA

View Full Version : Converted (understanding please)

EK-HIBEE
04-07-2020, 11:55 PM
I’ll probably get a lot of abuse but 4 years ago I was a Celtic ST holder. I always felt something was wrong, I read up about Hibs influences, the club and the city and became hooked.
This season coming marks my second year as a ST holder and it’s had its usual ups and downs (Hibs Eh) but I’m loving it.
The youth may belong to the English premier league, people in their teens may follow the ugly sisters European nights but for everyone who is 18 plus and wanted a proper team that’s followed through and through ill recommend Hibs till the day I die.
I’m not claiming to be a die hard Hibee (grandpa is Hibs) but its an unbelievable football club and I am so happy to be part of it. GGTTH

EK-HIBEE
04-07-2020, 11:57 PM
I don’t mean hibs are for 18 year olds plus, I’m talking about converts. I’m
So happy that Leiths working class has been faithful despite the old firms pull.

Greencore
05-07-2020, 12:11 AM
You said you felt something was wrong, what was it?

Mibbes Aye
05-07-2020, 12:15 AM
You settle where feels right. It might take a while but that’s life.

oldbutdim
05-07-2020, 12:17 AM
I’ll probably get a lot of abuse but 4 years ago I was a Celtic ST holder. I always felt something was wrong, I read up about Hibs influences, the club and the city and became hooked.
This season coming marks my second year as a ST holder and it’s had its usual ups and downs (Hibs Eh) but I’m loving it.
The youth may belong to the English premier league, people in their teens may follow the ugly sisters European nights but for everyone who is 18 plus and wanted a proper team that’s followed through and through ill recommend Hibs till the day I die.
I’m not claiming to be a die hard Hibee (grandpa is Hibs) but its an unbelievable football club and I am so happy to be part of it. GGTTH

Welcome onboard fellow Hibs fan.
You’re one of us.

Kato
05-07-2020, 12:24 AM
You said you felt something was wrong, what was it?Admiring your thirst for the juicy bits.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
05-07-2020, 12:38 AM
The old Italian saying comesto mind ( before divorce was legalised in Italy) -"There are two things you can't change in life: your wife and your football team."

Ozyhibby
05-07-2020, 12:50 AM
The old Italian saying comesto mind ( before divorce was legalised in Italy) -"There are two things you can't change in life: your wife and your football team."

Folk changing footy teams is more common than most people think. I supported Celtic as a kid. Switched for the glory.[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
05-07-2020, 01:13 AM
Folk changing footy teams is more common than most people think. I supported Celtic as a kid. Switched for the glory.[emoji6]

Similar. I was Hibs then got into Celtc then came back to Hibs in my late teens. It happens, it is not the end of the world.

FilipinoHibs
05-07-2020, 01:20 AM
Similar. I was Hibs then got into Celtc then came back to Hibs in my late teens. It happens, it is not the end of the world.

Yes agree does not really apply to younger ages. In mid sixties I was a huge Chelsea fan. When we moved to London and children went to primary school, they became Arsenal fans and I followed suit. Chelsea's fascist follwing in mid seventies put me off them.

Forza Fred
05-07-2020, 03:58 AM
Might be ‘normal’ for some to change teams, and in Oz it is certainly not unusual, but I could not think of a set of circumstances where I would do so.

J-C
05-07-2020, 04:06 AM
Pat Nevin is a famous ex Celtic fan who became one of us, started by taking his laddie to the games and got converted, his dislike of Glasgow's bigotry played a big part in that too.

Scouse Hibee
05-07-2020, 05:56 AM
Different circumstances for me and not actually converted as such but never thought another club especially a Scottish one could become such a huge part of my life.

BILLYHIBS
05-07-2020, 06:15 AM
I can never understand how Rod Stewart whose family came from Leith supports Celtic even although he was brought up in London?

John Yogi Hughes used to jump on a Celtic Supporters Bus to Dark Heid up until he was 14 then he saw the light

Is Yogi still one of us after speaking about his pride in wearing the hoops but how proud he was to land the HIBS job?

Is Leigh Griffiths still one of us after regularly kissing the tribute band’s badge?

WoreTheGreen
05-07-2020, 06:49 AM

Your mother not your wife

J-C
05-07-2020, 07:59 AM
I can never understand how Rod Stewart whose family came from Leith supports Celtic even although he was brought up in London?

John Yogi Hughes used to jump on a Celtic Supporters Bus to Dark Heid up until he was 14 then he saw the light

Is Yogi still one of us after speaking about his pride in wearing the hoops but how proud he was to land the HIBS job?

Is Leigh Griffiths still one of us after regularly kissing the tribute band’s badge?

Rod probably went the glory hunting way with Celtic. Yogi's brother I think took him to the Celtic games and Leigh kisses the badge to keep their fans happy.

Since452
05-07-2020, 08:22 AM
I respect anyone who walks away from the horrible Glasgow two. My neighbour was a Rangers fan and went regularly but became so sickened and disillusioned by the sectarian nonsense he washed his hands. Now follows Dundee United.

BILLYHIBS
05-07-2020, 08:27 AM
Rod probably went the glory hunting way with Celtic. Yogi's brother I think took him to the Celtic games and Leigh kisses the badge to keep their fans happy.

OK

Not that fussed about Rod tbh 😃

Diclonius
05-07-2020, 08:40 AM
I was nominally a Celtic fan (because of my Dad) with zero interest in football until my teens, when I switched to Hibs as I was from Edinburgh. It happens.

The scary part is if I'd strictly gone with location I'd have chosen Hearts, as I was born in Longstone. :shocked:

nellio
05-07-2020, 08:52 AM
Different circumstances for me and not actually converted as such but never thought another club especially a Scottish one could become such a huge part of my life.

Me too pal. First game for me 2011 so 9 years. Had a season ticket since 2013

Eyrie
05-07-2020, 09:08 AM

I'm sure the correct response to this is LTCF :wink:

You'll have far more lows now, but they only make you appreciate the highs even more :flag:

Keith_M
05-07-2020, 09:08 AM

Interesting, because I converted one Rangers and two Celtc fans to Hibs supporters as a teenager.

Cheshire Hibee
05-07-2020, 09:53 AM
Growing up the majority of kids around me we were a either Celtic,Rangers or Hearts supporters. I don’t recall any Hibs fans in the family so I supported Celtic until I was 12.
My brother who is Welsh and had never shown any interest in football had been in the RN came home and started going to ER with his mates around that time more for the social side I suspect. He started to take me along and I was hooked first game with the atmosphere at ER on the old east terrace and feeling off belonging within the supporters club it felt like family.
Now i think the majority of my Nieces & nephews of my 5 sisters and my brother and their children are Hibs fans

EI255
05-07-2020, 09:55 AM
I’m not claiming to be a die hard Hibee (grandpa is Hibs) but its an unbelievable football club and I am so happy to be part of it. GGTTHTop lad?

Welcome to the Family [emoji106]

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Fritz
05-07-2020, 10:00 AM

Anyone else spend 5 minutes wondering what the Italian saying “comesto mind” meant..?

jacomo
05-07-2020, 10:41 AM

Well that’s aged well then...

jacomo
05-07-2020, 10:42 AM

Welcome back to the fold. Your grandpa will be pleased.

StevesFamau5
05-07-2020, 11:03 AM
This thread is an eye opener for sure. I can now reveal the following..

I grew up in a wee village between Lanarkshire and the Borders. Football wasn't a big deal and all anyone supported was Rangers, Celtic, a couple of Yams and a Raith Rovers and Kilmarnock fan each (both of them were and still are utter pr**ks).

At 10 years old and starting to really enjoy the beautiful game I still had no team. So based on the jersey design and the performance of Gazza during Euro 96 (my first proper intro to a football tournament) I was about to pledge allegiance to...

But my dad was not having that! Even as an Englishman who really only followed Chester City all his life there was no way he was letting me support *them*, a colleague from his work took him to a few Hibs games during the ill-fated 97/98 season and despite relegation he became a Hibby, he bought the full kit for me in June of 97 and as soon as August rolled around I was at ER.

Memories of some of my lowest and highest football experiences and the incredible support around us meant the club is now engrained into us.

When I hopefully get the chance to have a son or daughter, they will be taught about this fantastic capital city club and hopefully keep the support going.

GGTTH [emoji1184][emoji1184][emoji1184]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
05-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the good guys.
I have quite a few mates from EK - bit of a Rangers town is it not?

In another kinda related matter -what ever happened to our resident Celt of old -Jack Reagan?

NAE NOOKIE
05-07-2020, 11:28 AM
Might be ‘normal’ for some to change teams, and in Oz it is certainly not unusual, but I could not think of a set of circumstances where I would do so.

When I was a 7 years old kid living in Leith in the 1960s Celtic winning the European cup in 1967 had a huge effect. I vividly recall a sudden surge in support for them and along with many of my peers I was swept along .... not many months after my family had moved to the Borders and so I had no pressure to start following a local club, I was surrounded by Celtic and Rangers supporters.

From then until exactly the 3rd of May 1975 I would have been recognised as an enthusiastic Celtic fan. But by that date I was 15 years old and far more aware of the pride I had in my Edinburgh roots. As I watched the highlights of Celtic beating Airdrie in that days Scottish cup final it dawned on my that not only was there little pleasure in watching Celtic's juggernaut crush yet another minnow, but also and more importantly that I was being a traitor to the roots I was so proud of by following a Glasgow club ... The next day my Celtic stuff had been consigned to the bin where it belonged and I was a Hibs supporter.

I got a lot of stick from my mates for this change of direction, but I didn't give a toss, I knew I had done the right thing and I haven't regretted it for a second ... So yes, there absolutely are circumstances where changing your team is absolutely acceptable and justified.

h18eeynick
05-07-2020, 11:49 AM
I started with Celtic at 7 but when I was 8 a new lad started at my small country school and he was Hibs. I liked the strip and they won the Dryburgh Cup ( 1972 ?)and i was hooked. My son , who lives in Australia now , is a massive Hibbie and flew back in 2016 for our cup final win. My user name is based on my car registration plate and never once regretted following Hibs. Delighted that my son got hooked on us and he was a season ticket holder for a few years travelling up from Carlisle before he moved to Leeds and then Sydney

H18 SFR
05-07-2020, 11:54 AM
My Celtic mate started coming with us 2015/16/17 season and really enjoyed it. Ended up ditching his season ticket and comes to ER/away games maybe 12-16 matches a season. I think under Ronny Delia a lot of them became disillusioned.

Hiber-nation
05-07-2020, 11:56 AM
My mate changed from Rangers to Hibs when he was about 18, got fed up with the sectarian pish and hated watching long ball, cheat, dive and kick everything that moves football.

Bostonhibby
05-07-2020, 11:58 AM
I’m not claiming to be a die hard Hibee (grandpa is Hibs) but its an unbelievable football club and I am so happy to be part of it. GGTTHNever going to be an issue, follow the original greens.

Welcome aboard the roller coaster. As long as you're not Rod Stewart obviously.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
05-07-2020, 12:04 PM
My mate changed from Rangers to Hibs when he was about 18, got fed up with the sectarian pish and hated watching long ball, cheat, dive and kick everything that moves football.Cousin's a Edinburgh based hun but attends ER more than Ibrox.

Takes his kids to games and does not want them involved in any of the sectarian crap that goes on there. Needless to say his kids are now on the right path.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
05-07-2020, 12:07 PM
Second year so you are probably not writing a book. Welcome to the family.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

sleeping giant
05-07-2020, 12:07 PM
Used to work with a jambo who decided to change and support the hun.
Oh how the true jambos and I slagged him off 😄
Could not take any football chat from him after that seriously.

Aalborg Hibs
05-07-2020, 12:11 PM
Back when I was a university, I had Hertz-supporting flatmate called Gary from Hawick, and a scouser called Dave who followed Liverpool.
Gary and I both set to work claiming Dave for our own, Gary took him to a midweek game at Tiny, and he was starting to waver, but I got him a ticket for the last game of the 98-99 season against Falkirk when we came back up from the 1st division.
After a wee dance on the pitch with the rest of us at full time he said to me there was no danger he'd be back at another Hertz game after that.
Mission accomplished :thumbsup:

Vault Boy
05-07-2020, 12:13 PM
I've always been a Hibs fan (despite growing up in London) but I remember using the threat 'I'll support Rangers!' against my old man when I was in a mood with him once.

I was probably 6 so didn't fully understand the gravity of what I'd said, the look on his face still stays with me. :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
05-07-2020, 12:15 PM
When I was a 7 years old kid living in Leith in the 1960s Celtic winning the European cup in 1967 had a huge effect. I vividly recall a sudden surge in support for them and along with many of my peers I was swept along .... not many months after my family had moved to the Borders and so I had no pressure to start following a local club, I was surrounded by Celtic and Rangers supporters.

From then until exactly the 3rd of May 1975 I would have been recognised as an enthusiastic Celtic fan. But by that date I was 15 years old and far more aware of the pride I had in my Edinburgh roots. As I watched the highlights of Celtic beating Airdrie in that days Scottish cup final it dawned on my that not only was there little pleasure in watching Celtic's juggernaut crush yet another minnow, but also and more importantly that I was being a traitor to the roots I was so proud of by following a Glasgow club ... The next day my Celtic stuff had been consigned to the bin where it belonged and I was a Hibs supporter.

I got a lot of stick from my mates for this change of direction, but I didn't give a toss, I knew I had done the right thing and I haven't regretted it for a second ... So yes, there absolutely are circumstances where changing your team is absolutely acceptable and justified.

yesterday i was minded as I watched Bayern (presumably I switched off) win another cup on top of their league title, to ponder what it must be like to follow such a team. The senior execs in the stands were looking at their watches. There must be some inevitability about proceedings for them. The expectation of notching another. Thank a god I’m a Hibee that witnessed the quest for the Holy Grail resolved so emphatically. With heroes that care and still care for out fantastic club. I suppose it’s all relative but how could the high of us winning the SC after 114 years he matched let alone bettered ? Liverpool’s title and Champs league, Man Utd Champs league through Ole Gunnar’s goal. But they are few and far between. Celtic beating Barca, if Rangers (RIP) or Celtic had won the Europa League, everything else for them must be a but meh and going through the motions (even title and Cup wins)

tanfield
05-07-2020, 12:29 PM
Whilst I have been a Hibs fan for as long as I can remember I sometimes shudder at what could have happened if my folks hadn't moved back to Edinburgh when I was 1.

Was born in Kirkintilloch, dad was from Perth and had no interest in football whilst my mum was from Edinburgh, her family were Hearts fans. Fortunately my dad got a job in Edinburgh which necessitated the move back east.

Pete
05-07-2020, 03:41 PM
To be honest I think this 'teams are unchangeable/dont trust anyone who does' stuff belongs in a different time where geography was the key factor determining who you support.
Back in the day if you were born in Naples you supported Napoli because you're from Naples, your family are from Naples and anything else is just wierd...almost like being Italian and choosing to support the French national team.

We now live in an age where its totally acceptable for some geezer from Motherwell to support a team in a city hundreds of miles away that he has never had anything to do with in a different country...yet he is treated as some sort of freak should he change this decision.😆

Frazerbob
05-07-2020, 04:05 PM
I’m surprised to see so many folk chopping and changing between Hibs & Celtic. But then again, when you see how the two clubs have dominated the silverware in Scotland over the last 4 years it maybe shouldn’t be a shock.

Sudds_1
05-07-2020, 04:25 PM

Why would you?...your a hibbie!! 😁😁

Craig_in_Prague
05-07-2020, 04:26 PM
I changed my local team here.
When I 1st moved I followed Sparta, I suppose mainly as they were the most known and were competing in champions league etc.

But after a year or so, I changed to support Bohemians 1905, and have been a ST holder/regular for 15 years..
I think I missed seeing a team in green and white struggle 😂

Itsnoteasy
05-07-2020, 04:31 PM

I was under the impression that it was " You can have as many wives as you want but you can only ever have 1 fitbaw team"

EK-HIBEE
05-07-2020, 06:10 PM
You said you felt something was wrong, what was it?

Avoided the forum as I didn’t expect fairly warm responses. And I just always felt numb at the every home game bar Rangers and CL. It just felt so numb winning every game by 3/4/5 goals, while others celebrated I just couldn’t feel that same buzz.
Used to find it embarrassing outnumbering home fans in away days, beating a team with 10% of Celtics budget then singing stuff like “we’re Glasgow Celtic and we won’t be stopped (until European away games).

Regrading being unable to change your team I get the idea of changing is mad to some people. I can best summarise it as ‘if you love a team you can’t change. If you just like a team then you can. Based on chats with my friends it’s safe to say I liked Celtic but never loved them.

gbhibby
05-07-2020, 06:27 PM
A pals little brother announced on boxing day 1972 that he was changing from Hibs to Hearts because of pressure from schoolmates. His brother was raging. Saying that we took him to the next Hearts game. After the third goal went in he sat down and did not watch the rest of the game.

I have always been a hibby but have a few mates that saw the light and changed from celtic to Hibs

EK-HIBEE
05-07-2020, 06:29 PM
Additionally I can confirm that Celtic fans don’t even remember cup final games they’ve been at unless it’s Rangers or something significant like a last minute goal to win a treble. By the time my friends are back in the pub after leaving Hampden they aren’t even talking about the game.

oneone73
05-07-2020, 06:40 PM
After the 2013 final, me and my mate were overtaken on the walk back to our bus by a couple of Celtc fans who hadn't bothered waiting for the trophy presentation.

murray26
05-07-2020, 06:41 PM
Good thread always nice to hear people’s stories..

EK-HIBEE
05-07-2020, 06:48 PM
After the 2013 final, me and my mate were overtaken on the walk back to our bus by a couple of Celtc fans who hadn't bothered waiting for the trophy presentation.

Absolutely, I was talking to a mate I went to the 2017 league cup final with. He genuinely couldn’t remember even going. He only had like 2 beers before so wasn’t due to being pissed. Just means nothing unless it’s Rangers.

Wakeyhibee
05-07-2020, 07:08 PM
I've always been a Hibs fan (despite growing up in London) but I remember using the threat 'I'll support Rangers!' against my old man when I was in a mood with him once.

I was probably 6 so didn't fully understand the gravity of what I'd said, the look on his face still stays with me. :greengrin

Done the same lol Grew up in England also. Old man wasnt going to take us on the next trip to Scotland as they were tailing off post 76.

Said I may as well support Rangers then....... took me to Ibrox Aug 77. 2-0 Hibs. Bit of reverse psychology in a 10yr old.

tigerted
06-07-2020, 04:36 PM
Glory hunter. Only started following the Hibees after we won the Cup 🏆 in 2016! 😛👌💚

Welcome.

Cabbage East
06-07-2020, 04:40 PM
A mate who I’d describe as a die hard Celtic fan now goes to watch the Hibs regularly. Living in Leith changed him.

edinburghhibee
06-07-2020, 06:07 PM
When I 1st moved I followed Sparta, I suppose mainly as they were the most known and were competing in champions league etc.

But after a year or so, I changed to support Bohemians 1905, and have been a ST holder/regular for 15 years..
I think I missed seeing a team in green and white struggle [emoji23]

I was similar i lived in sweden For a year. Ex parter was a massive IFK fan. Went to most of their games. Then they played in the goteborg derby and I converted to the green and black of GAIS... relationship didn’t last much longer after that [emoji1787]

One Day
07-07-2020, 07:33 AM
Anyone else spend 5 minutes wondering what the Italian saying “comesto mind” meant..?

LOL got me too

calumhibee1
07-07-2020, 07:43 AM
yesterday i was minded as I watched Bayern (presumably I switched off) win another cup on top of their league title, to ponder what it must be like to follow such a team. The senior execs in the stands were looking at their watches. There must be some inevitability about proceedings for them. The expectation of notching another. Thank a god I’m a Hibee that witnessed the quest for the Holy Grail resolved so emphatically. With heroes that care and still care for out fantastic club. I suppose it’s all relative but how could the high of us winning the SC after 114 years he matched let alone bettered ? Liverpool’s title and Champs league, Man Utd Champs league through Ole Gunnar’s goal. But they are few and far between. Celtic beating Barca, if Rangers (RIP) or Celtic had won the Europa League, everything else for them must be a but meh and going through the motions (even title and Cup wins)

:agree:

The only two tournament wins in my lifetime that I can think would have matched/came close to matching our cup win for the fans of their clubs would be Man City winning the league and Liverpool in Istanbul. Other than that, I can’t think of anyone winning anything where all the scenarios combined would have lead to anything like our cup win.

Keith_M
07-07-2020, 07:48 AM
A man's football team is like his underwear... he'll never change it without a fight.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-07-2020, 09:23 AM

When we left the Ross County LC Final there were already a few of their fans standing at a bus stop outside Hampden which I've always found a tad odd considering it was their first major trophy.

nonshinyfinish
07-07-2020, 09:33 AM
When we left the Ross County LC Final there were already a few of their fans standing at a bus stop outside Hampden which I've always found a tad odd considering it was their first major trophy.

Yep, there were a few County fans on the same train as me back to Glasgow Central. They were discussing the game in the driest terms imaginable.

My assumption was that there were a fair number of day trippers there for the novelty factor – the actual fans were presumably still in the ground having an almighty party.

Keith_M
07-07-2020, 09:43 AM
Yep, there were a few County fans on the same train as me back to Glasgow Central. They were discussing the game in the driest terms imaginable.

My assumption was that there were a fair number of day trippers there for the novelty factor – the actual fans were presumably still in the ground having an almighty party.

I think there was.

My experience was very different; Walked back into town and sat in The Brasserie (next to Queen-St Station) moping for about an hour... with loads of other Hibbies. Then somebody started a sing-song and we all cheered up enough to walk the last 100 yards to the train.

Basildon Hibs
07-07-2020, 12:01 PM

I think I missed seeing a team in green and white struggle 😂

My cousin has been a season ticket holder at Slavia for about 10 years.

FilipinoHibs
07-07-2020, 12:15 PM
I was under the impression that it was " You can have as many wives as you want but you can only ever have 1 fitbaw team"

There are a few versions but the one I quoted is the original. After divorce was made legal in Italy wife became mother.

FilipinoHibs
07-07-2020, 12:22 PM
Your mother not your wife

No as I pointed out changed to mother after divorce was made legal in Italy. I used to say mother and think it was the original until a discussion on here when somebody pointed out it was originaly wife when divorce was illegal in Italy.