PDA

View Full Version : Josh Doig

Percy Vere
03-07-2020, 08:08 AM
Interesting article interviewing Ray Mackinnon on his loan spell at Queens Park. Played him at left back and raving about his performances. Maybe cover for LS this season?
Maybe still too young but with comparisons to Andy Robertson he must be worth bringing into the first team squad.

w pilton hibby
03-07-2020, 08:16 AM
Interesting article interviewing Ray Mackinnon on his loan spell at Queens Park. Played him at left back and raving about his performances. Maybe cover for LS this season?
Maybe still too young but with comparisons to Andy Robertson he must be worth bringing into the first team squad.

Here

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-youngster-receives-andy-robertson-comparison-following-phenomenal-loan-spell-queens-park-2902461

J-C
03-07-2020, 08:44 AM

He'll be behind Mackie and Lewis for the LB slot.

JohnM1875
03-07-2020, 08:47 AM

Hate saying it, but haven't been impressed by Mackie the times I've seen him play. Obviously hope he can prove me wrong! But his defending isn't good enough to be playing in our first team yet.

Big_Franck
03-07-2020, 08:51 AM

Thanks for sharing that, I would have missed it otherwise. Sounds like a great talent. Hopefully we'll get to see him if we can get some pre season games arranged.

Robbo6-2
03-07-2020, 09:00 AM
Get him in the first team. Other teams like Motherwell or Hearts would of gave this boy a chance by now.

No wonder our boys dont develop they way they should they don't get a chance.

mal
03-07-2020, 09:01 AM
Get him in the first team. Other teams like Motherwell or Hearts would of gave this boy a chance by now.

Hearts punted him.

Piqué
03-07-2020, 09:01 AM
Doig and Doidge. It's going to be like Hanlon and O'Hanlon all over again

Billy Whizz
03-07-2020, 09:02 AM
Doig and Doidge. It's going to be like Hanlon and O'Hanlon all over again

And Mallan and Allan😄

Heisenberg
03-07-2020, 09:03 AM

I agree, he’s surely worth a shot over pre season to see how he does.

calumhibee1
03-07-2020, 09:06 AM

Mackie doesn’t look good enough to make it at Hibs for me.

I’d put Doig back out on loan next season in the hope he’d be ready the season after when you’d have to presume LS will really be starting to show signs of his age. Suppose the only issue with that is not knowing when the games will start again at QP sort of level.

Robbo6-2
03-07-2020, 09:08 AM
Hearts punted him.

No they didny we poached him.
But your missing the point.

Time our boys got a proper chance. Fraser Murray is a really talented player, ask any first team player and they will tell you he is terrific in training and is the fittest in the team.

Yet hes never been given a prolonged period in first team. His best spell was under Hecky when he played four or five games in a row towards the end of season.

Id much rather see Murray get a chance over 10-15 games at left mid than Daryl Horgan anyway

davhibby
03-07-2020, 09:19 AM

Mackie wasn’t playing left back at Dundee so I’d be surprised if that’s where we see his future

Robbo6-2
03-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Mackie is also recovering from an extremely serious knee injury. People are forgetting that.

mal
03-07-2020, 09:28 AM

Time our boys got a proper chance. Fraser Murray is a really talented player, ask any first team player and they will tell you he is terrific in training and is the fittest in the team.

Yet hes never been given a prolonged period in first team. His best spell was under Hecky when he played four or five games in a row towards the end of season.

Id much rather see Murray get a chance over 10-15 games at left mid than Daryl Horgan anyway

Porteous has been getting his chance and he's the same age as Murray. Murray hasn't been consistent when he has played and there are a few folks (not me) round here who think he should be on his way out. I don't get this criticising of Hibs for not playing youngsters while claiming that Hearts would have played Doig ... which they didn't do when he was on their books. Personally, I think we should play the best players for the game in hand regardless of their age.

Col2
03-07-2020, 09:28 AM
Loved that article, so positive and sounds like he has a really strong future.

Vault Boy
03-07-2020, 09:30 AM
Excited about seeing Josh get a chance in the first team. Seems to be highly rated by those involved in his development and this article certainly compounds on that.

easty
03-07-2020, 09:35 AM

Fraser Murray has had plenty chances to try to win a place in the Hibs team. He's just rarely ever shown that he should keep that place.

Given the option, I'd play Horgan over him every time.

easty
03-07-2020, 09:36 AM
Porteous has been getting his chance and he's the same age as Murray. Murray hasn't been consistent when he has played and there are a few folks (not me) round here who think he should be on his way out. I don't get this criticising of Hibs for not playing youngsters while claiming that Hearts would have played Doig ... which they didn't do when he was on their books. Personally, I think we should play the best players for the game in hand regardless of their age.

:agree:

That's not to say the young players shouldn't be given a chance, but they need to then take that chance and build on it.

Stuart93
03-07-2020, 09:37 AM
Mackie is also recovering from an extremely serious knee injury. People are forgetting that.

It’s his foot is it not?

Billy Whizz
03-07-2020, 09:45 AM
Fraser Murray has had plenty chances to try to win a place in the Hibs team. He's just rarely ever shown that he should keep that place.

Given the option, I'd play Horgan over him every time.

He hasn’t Easty

Greenbeard
03-07-2020, 09:49 AM
And Mallan and Allan😄
Can we please punt Kamberi 'cos his name doesn't rhyme with anyone else's.

Bronson
03-07-2020, 09:52 AM
Hearts punted him.

Hearts punted Cummings, he did alright. We punted Griffiths, he did alright too. Players develop at different ages, he’s only 18.

I’d give the boy a shot, Stevenson’s been a great servant over the years but I’m in no doubt that he’s one who’s holding us back nowadays. Sorry to say it cause the guy’s a gentleman, but it’s true.

Eyrie
03-07-2020, 09:52 AM
Can we please punt Kamberi 'cos his name doesn't rhyme with anyone else's.

Kamberi, who wants to guard old Derry?

S4uzee
03-07-2020, 09:53 AM

Agreed. Now is the perfect time to give him a chance

G15 Hibs
03-07-2020, 10:01 AM
I saw Doig playing a few times for QP last season and I was very impressed. Was often one of the best players on the park, and I know it was League 2 but that isn't usually the case for 17 year old loanees. Strong at winning the ball, good at getting forward and getting balls into the box, is composed on the ball and knows what he's doing. Certainly seemed older than his years.

There might be other left-backs who've been around the first team squad longer than him but I would definitely say he's a more promising prospect. A loan at a higher level next season, maybe Championship, could be the best way forward for Josh, then maybe coming back to Hibs later in the season depending on how its going.

tamig
03-07-2020, 10:59 AM

I can’t see Mackie making it with us tbh. Certainly not as a left back.

tamig
03-07-2020, 11:09 AM
I saw Doig playing a few times for QP last season and I was very impressed. Was often one of the best players on the park, and I know it was League 2 but that isn't usually the case for 17 year old loanees. Strong at winning the ball, good at getting forward and getting balls into the box, is composed on the ball and knows what he's doing. Certainly seemed older than his years.

There might be other left-backs who've been around the first team squad longer than him but I would definitely say he's a more promising prospect. A loan at a higher level next season, maybe Championship, could be the best way forward for Josh, then maybe coming back to Hibs later in the season depending on how its going.

How was Tommy Block - if he was playing in those games?

McD
03-07-2020, 11:12 AM
I can’t see Mackie making it with us tbh. Certainly not as a left back.

Wasn't there some speculation about Mackie possibly playing left mid?

Leitherhibs
03-07-2020, 11:13 AM

Saw him play three times for QP last season, he was the standout player in 2 of those games and dreadfully off the pace in the other. Opinions eh.

hibbysam
03-07-2020, 11:14 AM
It’s his foot is it not?

His ankle.

Stuart93
03-07-2020, 11:23 AM
His ankle.

Ah right, close enough

G15 Hibs
03-07-2020, 11:28 AM

Tommy Block's loan had ended by the time Josh Doig's began. Wasn't overly impressed by Block, tidy enough on the ball but didn't particularly stand out.

Diclonius
03-07-2020, 11:31 AM
And Mallan and Allan😄

It's a shame we didn't sign Lewis Morgan.

The Modfather
03-07-2020, 11:36 AM
If Doig is as promising as he sounds this is the perfect time and circumstances to fast track his progression. I’m sure we did similar with Porteous when he signed a new deal and we promised to fast track him into the first team to ward off interest from Celtc.

We’ve got a problem position at LB and no point in signing a short-ish term stop gap. Give Doig a chance to make left back his and if he does have the potential we all hope, persist with him long term even when has a tough spell like all young players, with Stevenson there to step in when needed.

tamig
03-07-2020, 11:45 AM

Don’t forget Lewis Allan.

Tug Wilson
03-07-2020, 12:15 PM
If Doig is as promising as he sounds this is the perfect time and circumstances to fast track his progression. I’m sure we did similar with Porteous when he signed a new deal and we promised to fast track him into the first team to ward off interest from Celtc.

We’ve got a problem position at LB and no point in signing a short-ish term stop gap. Give Doig a chance to make left back his and if he does have the potential we all hope, persist with him long term even when has a tough spell like all young players, with Stevenson there to step in when needed.

Agreed. Money will be tight for the season so if we have Stevenson, Mackie and Doig covering LB then maybe it can spent elsewhere.

Getting the midfield balance sorted and at least one more striker in being the areas that need sorted.

PatHead
03-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Doesn't rhyme with Kamberi 🤔

Billy Whizz
03-07-2020, 12:22 PM

Does with Horgan brilliantly

Should be our new signing policy

nonshinyfinish
03-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Does with Horgan brilliantly

Should be our new signing policy

Can't wait to see Shaughnessy and Messi running out together in the green and white.

jacomo
03-07-2020, 01:07 PM

Mackie might prove to be a better midfielder than left back. Doig might just be better than him. And Lewis had an injury lay off last season, which refuted my belief that he is both indestructible and immortal.

This is the season for the kids. I’d like us to spend what budget we have on the best possible quality in a couple of positions, and then bring the kids in.

hibbysam
03-07-2020, 01:10 PM
Mackie might prove to be a better midfielder than left back. Doig might just be better than him. And Lewis had an injury lay off last season, which refuted my belief that he is both indestructible and immortal.

This is the season for the kids. I’d like us to spend what budget we have on the best possible quality in a couple of positions, and then bring the kids in.

Won’t find a better left footed delivery at the club that Mackie’s. Would like to see him play left wing if we don’t sign one, or left wing back if we go 3 at the back, with Boyle on the other side.

StevesFamau5
03-07-2020, 02:39 PM
Know some of his extended family and they are really proud of him. Also mentioned how much Hibs were better in his current development than Hearts. A lot of the family are Hearts fans as well

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

brog
03-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Here

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-youngster-receives-andy-robertson-comparison-following-phenomenal-loan-spell-queens-park-2902461

Great article, thanks!

J-C
03-07-2020, 03:01 PM

I agree re Mackie and thought Heckingbottom's treatment of him after the Rangers game did him no favours, he had some god and some average games at Dundee. Lewis having the injury didn't help and he was brought back too soon as per usual, curious to see how he'll be with a injury free pre season. Doig I haven't heard much about apart from on here and in reports, always happy to see young lads get a chance if they're good enough.

Tomsk
03-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Know some of his extended family and they are really proud of him. Also mentioned how much Hibs were better in his current development than Hearts. A lot of the family are Hearts fans as well

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Was his father's name Rab?

I know a Rab Doig who played for Queens Park in the 1970s.

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2020, 03:34 PM
How exactly has Murray been given a fair chance? 2 starts in 2 years is not a fair chance.

B.H.F.C
03-07-2020, 03:44 PM
I agree re Mackie and thought Heckingbottom's treatment of him after the Rangers game did him no favours, he had some god and some average games at Dundee. Lewis having the injury didn't help and he was brought back too soon as per usual, curious to see how he'll be with a injury free pre season. Doig I haven't heard much about apart from on here and in reports, always happy to see young lads get a chance if they're good enough.

When Lewis was out for pre season, league cup group stage and the start of the league season Mackie really had a chance to push himself forward for the left back position. Even excluding Ibrox he didn’t manage to do that. Chuck Ibrox in to the mix and he looked miles away from replacing Stevenson. And I’m one of those who thinks Stevenson needs replaced.

I don’t think Mackie will get such a good opportunity again and, for all his faults, I don’t think Heckingbottom did much wrong in loaning him out.

Garibaldis
03-07-2020, 03:47 PM
How exactly has Murray been given a fair chance? 2 starts in 2 years is not a fair chance.

Must be a reason for that though, assuming that the three managers and their coaching staff in that time don't think he's better than other players in the squad.

easty
03-07-2020, 03:53 PM

Why do only starts count as getting a chance?

He'd get starts if he performed well enough in the sub appearances to justify a start, which he generally doesn't.

easty
03-07-2020, 03:56 PM
Can't wait to see Shaughnessy and Messi running out together in the green and white.

If only we couldve paired up Joe Tortolano with Ivan Zamorano!

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2020, 04:05 PM

He'd get starts if he performed well enough in the sub appearances to justify a start, which he generally doesn't.

10 minutes here and there doesn't really count as a chance IMO

He actually got a wonderful assist on one of those starts, for McNulty vs Aberdeen.

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Must be a reason for that though, assuming that the three managers and their coaching staff in that time don't think he's better than other players in the squad.

Too easy to just blindly trust the manager. 2 of them have been sacked for a reason.

Garibaldis
03-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Too easy to just blindly trust the manager. 2 of them have been sacked for a reason.

I actually thought Lennon did well in introducing the youngsters into the first team squad. Porteous, Mackie, Murray and Gullan all given their professional debut under his tenure.

Smartie
03-07-2020, 04:40 PM

Maybe Ross will make a move for the little known German striker, Bucking Bun Frick?

Michael
03-07-2020, 04:49 PM
10 minutes here and there doesn't really count as a chance IMO

He actually got a wonderful assist on one of those starts, for McNulty vs Aberdeen.

Players like Scott Brown you could tell within 2 minutes they were a player. I do think that decent youngsters usually start with a bang.

hibeejeebies
03-07-2020, 04:57 PM
Maybe Ross will make a move for the little known German striker, Bucking Bun Frick?

I laughed.

one day maybe...
03-07-2020, 04:58 PM

Agree with bringing through more youth players. It could be the perfect time to do this. It's not always going to work but with money being tight perhaps some of this generation of youngsters can step up and build strong careers with Hibs before moving on for a decent fee.

Stanton Spence
03-07-2020, 05:01 PM

He'd get starts if he performed well enough in the sub appearances to justify a start, which he generally doesn't.You just took the words out of my mouth mate, he's got to earn the chance to start in games and with him coming through our system means he needs to stand out at training etc. Hibs handing out contracts to young players like Murray is exactly their chance the rest is up to the players and if they only get two starts then I can guarantee its got nothing to do with the manager not giving young guys a start and more likely that the young guys ain't good enough to start. Do people seriously believe that our management team and coaching staff cannot tell if a player deserves to start or not and if they are then deliberately leave them out because of their age??
I hate to say it but just maybe they ain't good enough

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

nonshinyfinish
03-07-2020, 05:24 PM
If only we couldve paired up Joe Tortolano with Ivan Zamorano!

Barry Lavety and Javier Zanetti :agree:

Mibbes Aye
03-07-2020, 05:40 PM
Barry Lavety and Javier Zanetti :agree:

Yannick Zambernardi and.....oh, hold on, I've ****ed this right up.

Fritz
03-07-2020, 05:54 PM
Yannick Zambernardi and.....oh, hold on, I've ****ed this right up.

It’s....Jamie Vardy?

Tomsk
03-07-2020, 06:18 PM
It’s....Jamie Vardy?

Or Oliver Hardy.

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2020, 06:31 PM
You just took the words out of my mouth mate, he's got to earn the chance to start in games and with him coming through our system means he needs to stand out at training etc. Hibs handing out contracts to young players like Murray is exactly their chance the rest is up to the players and if they only get two starts then I can guarantee its got nothing to do with the manager not giving young guys a start and more likely that the young guys ain't good enough to start. Do people seriously believe that our management team and coaching staff cannot tell if a player deserves to start or not and if they are then deliberately leave them out because of their age??
I hate to say it but just maybe they ain't good enough

No but managers make short term decisions because if they dont get immediate results, they are gone. Why should guys like Mallan get 18 months to refind form and Murray shouldn't get more than 2 starts in 2 years?

Stanton Spence
03-07-2020, 06:32 PM
No but managers make short term decisions because if they dont get immediate results, they are gone. Why should guys like Mallan get 18 months to refind form and Murray shouldn't get more than 2 starts in 2 years?I would presume because they ain't good enough

Stanton Spence
03-07-2020, 06:33 PM
No but managers make short term decisions because if they dont get immediate results, they are gone. Why should guys like Mallan get 18 months to refind form and Murray shouldn't get more than 2 starts in 2 years?I would love to see the youth players earn starts consistently bud but they just don't seem to be good enough

Brightside
03-07-2020, 06:59 PM
Players are picked based on training performance etc. If Murray was outstanding in training he’d be a first pick.

Pheona
03-07-2020, 09:22 PM

It isn't Rab, no.

Pheona
03-07-2020, 09:25 PM
https://youtu.be/Tk6FXPB8Hhw

Josh at QP playing No 3

PaulSmith
03-07-2020, 09:53 PM

His dad’s called Tommy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MagicSwirlingShip
03-07-2020, 10:09 PM
Players are picked based on training performance etc. If Murray was outstanding in training he’d be a first pick.

And performances of the players that already have the jersey.

Maybe now Slivka has left he will be higher up the pecking order

Mibbes Aye
03-07-2020, 11:11 PM
It’s....Jamie Vardy?

:aok:

MWHIBBIES
04-07-2020, 08:26 AM

Doesn't really work like that. You telling me guys like Josh Vela and Glenn Middleton were good in training while Murray was only in the top 11 best trainers twice in 2 years. Players are picked on much more than training.

Brightside
04-07-2020, 08:44 AM
Doesn't really work like that. You telling me guys like Josh Vela and Glenn Middleton were good in training while Murray was only in the top 11 best trainers twice in 2 years. Players are picked on much more than training.

I'm not going to get into an argument about it but Murray would have played many more games if he was better than the rest in training. Any player that shines in training gets in the team. We arent Barca.

MWHIBBIES
04-07-2020, 08:47 AM
I'm not going to get into an argument about it but Murray would have played many more games if he was better than the rest in training. Any player that shines in training gets in the team. We arent Barca.

Probably right but picking a team is also based on a lot more than training.

J-C
04-07-2020, 08:50 AM

I get what MWHIBBIES is saying, Vela was absolute pants but Heckingbottom continually picked him, training or not his match performances were not good enough to guarantee him his place. Managers have their favourites and pick players no matter how they are playing to the detriment of others who are worthy of a start.

Brightside
04-07-2020, 08:56 AM
I get what MWHIBBIES is saying, Vela was absolute pants but Heckingbottom continually picked him, training or not his match performances were not good enough to guarantee him his place. Managers have their favourites and pick players no matter how they are playing to the detriment of others who are worthy of a start.

Vela was continually picked? He played 9 games, and despite some thoughts he wasnt terrible in all of them. Also we didnt have anyone else shining in that role. And again Hecky didnt pick Vela. He was a Recruitement team signing and we tried to get him in previous seasons when Lennon was there. 9 times out of 10 a coach will pick the best players he has (in his opinion). Murray needs to start excelling if he wants to play.

MWHIBBIES
04-07-2020, 09:04 AM
Vela was continually picked? He played 9 games, and despite some thoughts he wasnt terrible in all of them. Also we didnt have anyone else shining in that role. And again Hecky didnt pick Vela. He was a Recruitement team signing and we tried to get him in previous seasons when Lennon was there. 9 times out of 10 a coach will pick the best players he has (in his opinion). Murray needs to start excelling if he wants to play.

Vela started 14 games in all competitions. He was terrible in most of them. On average I really doubt there is much difference in the training performance of all the players. Vela was a safe, boring choice over taking a risk on a young player.

Eyrie
04-07-2020, 09:22 AM
Vela started 14 games in all competitions. He was terrible in most of them. On average I really doubt there is much difference in the training performance of all the players. Vela was a safe, boring choice over taking a risk on a young player.

Vela and Murray have very different skill sets. Murray would have been even more unsuitable to the deep role than Vela's performances.

MWHIBBIES
04-07-2020, 09:32 AM
Vela and Murray have very different skill sets. Murray would have been even more unsuitable to the deep role than Vela's performances.

Right. I understand that. It is also a good example of what I'm talking about. Murray could've been outperforming Vela every week in training but Hecky thought Vela suit his team more.

I'm obviously not advocating Murray starting in the deepest midfield position.

Brightside
04-07-2020, 09:34 AM
Right. I understand that. It is also a good example of what I'm talking about. Murray could've been outperforming Vela every week in training but Hecky thought Vela suit his team more.

I’m not sure what you are advocating then. For Murray to have played more last season someone has to drop out. That would have been a final third player. So he needs to be out performing those players to get in the team.

MWHIBBIES
04-07-2020, 09:37 AM
I’m not sure what you are advocating then. For Murray to have played more last season someone has to drop out. That would have been a final third player. So he needs to be out performing those players to get in the team.

Murray could've came in for any of Hallberg, Vela, Slivka, Mallan or Horgan at different points. All of those guys were underperforming. Instead we just continued to pick them, never trying anything new.

Aldo
04-07-2020, 09:45 AM
https://youtu.be/Tk6FXPB8Hhw

Josh at QP playing No 3

Doidge would love a ball like he played for the first. Excellent ball in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brightside
04-07-2020, 09:50 AM
Murray could've came in for any of Hallberg, Vela, Slivka, Mallan or Horgan at different points. All of those guys were underperforming. Instead we just continued to pick them, never trying anything new.

And if he was outperforming them he’d have been playing.

Tomsk
04-07-2020, 09:57 AM
It isn't Rab, no.

His dad’s called Tommy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers, Guys.

Ray McKinnon was quoted in the article saying his dad played for Queens Park. Thought it might be Rab Doig. I know loads of Doigs - mostly Hearts fans. Put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5. :wink:

MWHIBBIES
04-07-2020, 09:57 AM
And if he was outperforming them he’d have been playing.

Again you keep thinking this is all about training. So in training he has to be outperforming them? So for not even 1 week he outperformed a single one?

I'd be surprised if Murray is actually attending training if he has only ''earned'' 2 starts in 2 years.

For the league cup were the young guys like Mackie, Murray etc doing well then immediately stopped doing well in training right before the league started? Is that how you think this works?

JimBHibees
04-07-2020, 10:01 AM
Again you keep thinking this is all about training. So in training he has to be outperforming them? So for not even 1 week he outperformed a single one?

I'd be surprised if Murray is actually attending training if he has only ''earned'' 2 starts in 2 years.

For the league cup were the young guys like Mackie, Murray etc doing well then immediately stopped doing well in training right before the league started? Is that how you think this works?

If he isn't impressing in games when in first team, bounce games or reserve matches and training he isn't going to be getting first team starts. Yes that is how it works.

HendoDelivered
04-07-2020, 10:03 AM
Vela was a player :agree:

Brightside
04-07-2020, 11:01 AM

I’m pretty sure I know how it works. Have a good day.

jacomo
04-07-2020, 11:57 AM
Vela was a player :agree:

But not at Hibs.

Not necessarily his fault - maybe the balance was all wrong or he was being asked to play in the wrong position - but he did absolutely nothing in a Hibs shirt. Then he was dropped and results immediately improved.

TelaStella
04-07-2020, 01:03 PM

All with you on your last point there with this season being the one for the youngsters and I’m all for Doig given an opportunity as well as any other youth player who merits it through the same amount of hard work and dedication. Re Mackie I always felt optimistic from what I was shown before he went out to Dundee. Raw, yes but confidence, delivery and all the signs a player is there. Can’t understand how so many’s opinions have been concluded for him already.

Pheona
04-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Cheers, Guys.

Ray McKinnon was quoted in the article saying his dad played for Queens Park. Thought it might be Rab Doig. I know loads of Doigs - mostly Hearts fans. Put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5. :wink:

He wasn't much older than Josh when he played there there around 92. Right on the Jambo bit too.

McD
04-07-2020, 03:29 PM
All with you on your last point there with this season being the one for the youngsters and I’m all for Doig given an opportunity as well as any other youth player who merits it through the same amount of hard work and dedication. Re Mackie I always felt optimistic from what I was shown before he went out to Dundee. Raw, yes but confidence, delivery and all the signs a player is there. Can’t understand how so many’s opinions have been concluded for him already.

one would think this coming season should be a great opportunity for the likes of Doig, Stirling, Mackie, Gullan, and possibly a few others to press for game time. There won’t be much/any youth football, and much less money around to expand squads (although there’ll also be more players looking for a job and possibly willing to take less money).

as fans we’ve pointed to gaps that we see:
- defensive mid.... Stirling?
- backup left back.... doig?
- left mid.... Mackie?

surely coaches, agents, even parents and friends should be in these laddies ears about how this could be their chance to make an impression on the first team? And surely the recruitment team should be pointing to our own youth development as well as external players for possible additions to the first team squad?

Gmack7
05-07-2020, 07:05 AM
Is Doig ahead of Yates at the moment? I have high hopes for both

ian cruise
05-07-2020, 07:36 AM

Maybe for the folk who watch the development squads but could Mackie be coached to play in that deep lying midfield role?

- Obviously has some defensive attributes as he plays left back, but with the security of the defenders behind him.
- Good engine on him and excellent delivery so could get the ball from the back accurately and quickly when needed?

Not sure about his decision making, can't remember enough from the games he's featured in to say it was excellent, terrible or somewhere in between.

HendoDelivered
05-07-2020, 07:52 AM
But not at Hibs.

Not necessarily his fault - maybe the balance was all wrong or he was being asked to play in the wrong position - but he did absolutely nothing in a Hibs shirt. Then he was dropped and results immediately improved.

I was joking anyway mate. Vela is up there with one of the worst i’ve seen at Hibs. But like you said, may not be his fault!

Brightside
05-07-2020, 09:03 AM
I was joking anyway mate. Vela is up there with one of the worst i’ve seen at Hibs. But like you said, may not be his fault!

You must have been asleep during the butcher years. 😂

JimBHibees
05-07-2020, 09:08 AM
You must have been asleep during the butcher years. 😂

I think most of us were to be honest. :greengrin

Green Manalishi
05-07-2020, 03:21 PM
Vela started 14 games in all competitions. He was terrible in most of them. On average I really doubt there is much difference in the training performance of all the players. Vela was a safe, boring choice over taking a risk on a young player. Vela came with a good pedigree. He had played a lot of games in the English Championship and i can imagine Hecky kept playing him thinking he was going to come good. Unfortuantly the opposite happend and we got worse.

Billy Whizz
05-07-2020, 03:28 PM
Is Doig ahead of Yates at the moment? I have high hopes for both

Is Doig not being looked at long term as a centre back?
Scholsey is a completely different player to him

Be nice if both can make some sort of breakthrough soon, but the most important thing for both of them just now, is playing every week

jacomo
05-07-2020, 03:30 PM
Is Doig not being looked at long term as a centre back?
Scholsey is a completely different player to him

Be nice if both can make some sort of breakthrough soon, but the most important thing for both of them just now, is playing every week

We need a left back. He seems to have got rave reviews as a left back.

I dunno, but might be worth giving him a go at left back?

Billy Whizz
05-07-2020, 03:36 PM

That’s Jack’s decision

chippy
05-07-2020, 04:35 PM

Paul Hanlon started his 1st team career at left back. If he’s adaptable even better

Brightside
05-07-2020, 04:53 PM
If Josh is going to break through it will be at LB for me. He doesn’t have the physicality to play CB in the senior league imo. Not yet anyway.

jacomo
05-07-2020, 07:12 PM
That’s Jack’s decision

That’s the job he’s paid for.

The Modfather
05-07-2020, 08:46 PM
If Josh is going to break through it will be at LB for me. He doesn’t have the physicality to play CB in the senior league imo. Not yet anyway.

A defender starting out at left back before moving to centre back amid concerns about his physicality and getting bullied you say, have you joined his fan club yet? :devil: :wink:

Brightside
05-07-2020, 08:49 PM
A defender starting out at left back before moving to centre back amid concerns about his physicality and getting bullied you say, have you joined his fan club yet? :devil: :wink:

Yes. He’s a natural successor to Paul in a few years. Start of at LB first.

ColintonHibs
07-07-2020, 04:19 PM
How many Doigdies do we have?