PDA

View Full Version : Villa going down = ££££ to Hibs

Greenbeard
02-07-2020, 08:37 AM
Probs already covered in the non-Hibs match thread, but having taken a keen interest in Villa's results these last two years, I am now firmly in the camp of wanting to see them go down, but going down fighting in a manner that still shows SJM in a good light.
Shirley Villa will have to let players go if they drop. SJM has hopefully shown to a good few Prem clubs that he would be an asset to them, he gets sold, and we get a decent whack when we really could do with it.

Stuart93
02-07-2020, 08:42 AM
Probs already covered in the non-Hibs match thread, but having taken a keen interest in Villa's results these last two years, I am now firmly in the camp of wanting to see them go down, but going down fighting in a manner that still shows SJM in a good light.
Shirley Villa will have to let players go if they drop. SJM has hopefully shown to a good few Prem clubs that he would be an asset to them, he gets sold, and we get a decent whack when we really could do with it.

I’d rather they stayed up so SJM can continue to prove he can hack it at that level. Villa going down only decreases his value imo.

Hiber-nation
02-07-2020, 08:45 AM
He's really struggled after being injured. Hope they stay up but where the goals will come from I've no idea.

Keith_M
02-07-2020, 08:54 AM
If Villa sold SJM for a decent fee, we probably wouldn't have to ask our players to take a pay cut.

St Liedown would (apparently) get a decent cut as well, which appeals to my dark side ;-)

Nicho87
02-07-2020, 08:59 AM
Villa looked terrible each time I’ve seen them since the lockdown games started.

Everyone goes on about Manchester Utd and city fighting over grealish who is a top player but McGinn for me is the more complete player. McGinn would get in the Man Utd team ahead of mctominay for me. Manchester United or a move to Arsenal would be a dream for him surely. Great to see an ex hibby at Man Utd through.

Renfrew_Hibby
02-07-2020, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately for us I think if Villa go down then they will look to cash in on Jack Grealish rather than John.

Grealish is their No.1 asset and they almost sold him to Spurs for £25M the last time they went down. He stayed on because he was too young at the time but he's also a Villa fan and wanted to get them back up.
Its different now, he wants to kick on and Villa ain't the club for that.
McGinn comming off the back of a bad injury and clubs will be cautious.
Despite what we think, Grealish has a far bigger market value than John and will ultimately be sold for many millions more.

MWHIBBIES
02-07-2020, 09:06 AM
Villa looked terrible each time I’ve seen them since the lockdown games started.

Everyone goes on about Manchester Utd and city fighting over grealish who is a top player but McGinn for me is the more complete player. McGinn would get in the Man Utd team ahead of mctominay for me. Manchester United or a move to Arsenal would be a dream for him surely. Great to see an ex hibby at Man Utd through.

McTominay has been excellent for United this season, just signed a big new deal. Don't see them being interested at all really.

I don't think Mcginn is leaving Villa this season regardless of where they end up. Grealish will, he has been pretty excellent this season. Mcginn still a bit to prove, another year at villa will do him no harm.

weecounty hibby
02-07-2020, 09:12 AM
I hope they stay up. I like Villa and another year playing EPL football at the level we know he can produce will see his value increase and hopefully he will naturally progress into a move to one if the top 4 teams. It feels a bit Jambo to be wishing failure on another team in the hope that we profit.

18Craig75
02-07-2020, 09:12 AM

They have been playing totally different roles. McTominay playing from deeper whilst McGinn pushing on ahead of the strikers.

Another year at Villa won’t do McGinn or us any harm to be honest. Would rather wait a year and get big money for him rather than see him make a sideways move this year.

danhibees1875
02-07-2020, 09:16 AM
Grealish is their big asset I think. Villa to stay up, McGinn to stay and have a full season playing in the prem would be the best option I think.

A lot may also depend on how things go post-pandemic although it looks like football in the big countries is likely to just continue with inflated fees going forward regardless.

Chip shop Joe
02-07-2020, 09:18 AM
McGinn has not looked the same player since his injury. I am not sure anyone would be shelling out 10s of millions for him.

Hopefully stays up with Villa and regains his fitness and form next season and then sold on.

Clarence
02-07-2020, 09:20 AM
Bad chat. I’d prefer him to do well, be heralded with helping keep them up and then get a move to the right club and in the respectful way that he left Hibs.

AgentDaleCooper
02-07-2020, 09:22 AM
i hope they stay up anyway as i have a soft spot for them now, but i think if they go down they'll look to build their team around McGinn rather than sell him.

Jones28
02-07-2020, 09:35 AM
If they stayed up that would be best for all involved I think. Though I can see them going down, Grealish being sold to Tottenham or someone like that and Mcginn staying for another season.

Garibaldis
02-07-2020, 09:43 AM
With Villa still having to play Liverpool, United and Arsenal it's not looking good for them.

MacGruber
02-07-2020, 09:44 AM
Love SJM but he has been awful since coming back and in truth was out of form before the injury for Villa.

The Villa fans know what he is capable of but having watched the last couple of Villa games he has probably been the worst player on the park on each occasion.

Seems to have lost his drive and surging runs, just drops back fills space and looks miles off it.

We know the player he is - hopefully gets back to his old self soon. Anyone buying him now? Can't see it

Keith_M
02-07-2020, 09:45 AM
Bad chat. I’d prefer him to do well, be heralded with helping keep them up and then get a move to the right club and in the respectful way that he left Hibs.

I hope they stay up as well but the ideal for Hibs, especially at the moment, would have been for them to sell SJM.

I agree with everybody else's comments, though, that it's unlikely to happen just now.

CMurdoch
02-07-2020, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately for us I think if Villa go down then they will look to cash in on Jack Grealish rather than John.

Grealish is their No.1 asset and they almost sold him to Spurs for £25M the last time they went down. He stayed on because he was too young at the time but he's also a Villa fan and wanted to get them back up.
Its different now, he wants to kick on and Villa ain't the club for that.
McGinn coming off the back of a bad injury and clubs will be cautious.
Despite what we think, Grealish has a far bigger market value than John and will ultimately be sold for many millions more.

IMO this post is on the money on this matter.
Another season at Villa for John. Both John and the economy back to full tilt then John moves on next summer for big money.

mjhibby
02-07-2020, 09:53 AM
With Villa still having to play Liverpool, United and Arsenal it's not looking good for them.

Both villa and Bournemouth have horrendous fixtures left. I think the bottom three just now will be relegated. It then depends how much clubs offer for sjm. I think he’ll stay but very tricky to predict in these strange times.

Lago
02-07-2020, 09:58 AM
McGinn has not looked the same player since his injury. I am not sure anyone would be shelling out 10s of millions for him.

Hopefully stays up with Villa and regains his fitness and form next season and then sold on.
Agree, has looked pretty ordinary in the games I've watched.

neil7908
02-07-2020, 10:19 AM
I’d rather they stayed up so SJM can continue to prove he can hack it at that level. Villa going down only decreases his value imo.

This 100%. Transfer fees have taken a hit with COVID and John hasn't been at his best since coming back from injury.

Right now if Villa go down there is no way teams will be bidding crazy money and I don't see another year in the Championship helping his progression or value.

Liverpool backed out of signing Werner for £50m due to the current climate - he has scored for fun in the Bundesliga and Champions League so any suggestion of SJM being a valued at that mark as he was before is going to be way off.

lord bunberry
02-07-2020, 10:23 AM
Agree, has looked pretty ordinary in the games I've watched.
He has, he didn’t even start the last game.

Baader
02-07-2020, 10:27 AM
His value would be much more if they stayed up and he's playing well in a PL team. Villa's remaining fixtures are horrendous and I think they're all but gone.

Steve20
02-07-2020, 10:38 AM
More than once in here, "he's been ordinary since coming back from injury.". Aye, let's forget about the 18 months where he was one of their best players and getting rave reviews and concentrate on about 3 games instead.

If McGinn is sold, it'll be for big money.

McD
02-07-2020, 10:45 AM
More than once in here, "he's been ordinary since coming back from injury.". Aye, let's forget about the 18 months where he was one of their best players and getting rave reviews and concentrate on about 3 games instead.

don't think anyone has said lets forget about those 18 months, more than a few have specifically said he was one of/their best players prior to his injury.

Its only reality to suggest that his downturn in form could affect his fee if he's sold, and the covid damage to the economy will also see any potential fee fall if he was to go this summer

Zazu62
02-07-2020, 10:50 AM
What kind of injury was it?

Sean1875
02-07-2020, 10:54 AM
What kind of injury was it?
Could be wrong, but was an ankle injury IIRC.

Golden Bear
02-07-2020, 11:07 AM

:agree:

I think he's lost pace and probably put on a few kilos in weight.

Having said, that the whole Villa team seem to be struggling badly , their confidence has taken a big it and from what I've seen, they now seem content to "sit in" and try and hit teams on the break. It doesn't make for great viewing and I'm not at all surprised that their supporters are not exactly happy bunnies at the moment.

Shrekko
02-07-2020, 11:14 AM
He has, he didn’t even start the last game.

There’s no way he was starting 4 games in 11 days after being out so long.

He’s been average since he came back, understandably, but I very much doubt it will have affected his price tag. In fact if he finishes the season strongly it may even bump it up.

neil7908
02-07-2020, 11:18 AM

Without COVID? Probably. In the current climate no way will anyone pay £30m+ for him this summer.

Stuart93
02-07-2020, 11:19 AM
:agree:

I think he's lost pace and probably put on a few kilos in weight.

Having said, that the whole Villa team seem to be struggling badly , their confidence has taken a big it and from what I've seen, they now seem content to "sit in" and try and hit teams on the break. It doesn't make for great viewing and I'm not at all surprised that their supporters are not exactly happy bunnies at the moment.

I thought the exact same thing. I actually thought it looked as though he’d bulked up his lower body far too much. I understand his games all about strength but it looked like it was effecting his ability to run with the ball.

The Modfather
02-07-2020, 11:20 AM
Hope Arsenal sign him. He’s the kind of player that would help make them greater than the sum of their parts IMO.

allezsauzee
02-07-2020, 11:52 AM

This!

Future17
02-07-2020, 12:41 PM
Hope Arsenal sign him. He’s the kind of player that would help make them greater than the sum of their parts IMO.

I think Arsenal would be a good fit for him, especially as Guendouzi looks to be on the way out. I doubt Arsenal would part with the required sum though.

Joe6-2
02-07-2020, 12:43 PM
Can’t wish a club to be relegated just to suit us! 🙄

Since452
02-07-2020, 12:43 PM
He's been right off the boil since his injury. Hopefully he gets back to form.

MWHIBBIES
02-07-2020, 12:55 PM
I think Arsenal would be a good fit for him, especially as Guendouzi looks to be on the way out. I doubt Arsenal would part with the required sum though.

Arsenal paid 72 million for Pepe last summer, they would pay for the right player. I doubt they would pay more than 30 million for Mcginn. In fact I don't think anyone would right now. He needs to get a good run and back to top form first. I think they are more likely to go for Ceballos permanently, though.

Billy Whizz
02-07-2020, 01:00 PM
It’s always hard for a promoted side to stay in the Premier league
Norwich were top last year, and have really struggled, and remember Villa came up through the play offs

Future17
02-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Arsenal paid 72 million for Pepe last summer, they would pay for the right player. I doubt they would pay more than 30 million for Mcginn. In fact I don't think anyone would right now. He needs to get a good run and back to top form first. I think they are more likely to go for Ceballos permanently, though.

It's possible I suppose. I don't think they'll take Ceballos permanently unless it's cut price.

lord bunberry
02-07-2020, 01:21 PM
There’s no way he was starting 4 games in 11 days after being out so long.

He’s been average since he came back, understandably, but I very much doubt it will have affected his price tag. In fact if he finishes the season strongly it may even bump it up.
I agree, he will eventually hit top form again. I’d love for him to be the man that keeps them up.

Lago
02-07-2020, 01:22 PM
Could be wrong, but was an ankle injury IIRC.
Correct very bad ankle ligament injury.

JammyDoidger
02-07-2020, 01:28 PM
He will score at anfield on Saturday.

MWHIBBIES
02-07-2020, 01:32 PM
It's possible I suppose. I don't think they'll take Ceballos permanently unless it's cut price.

Yeah, I agree. I think Real Madrid might be quite happy to get rid of him for 25-30million and a future sell on. Selling Hakimi to Inter who was really brilliant on loan at Dortmund for only 40 million is proof they might need to cut some guys off to make signings.

EI255
02-07-2020, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Liverpool went for JM

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Keith_M
02-07-2020, 01:53 PM

I'm a big fan of JM but I'd struggle to see where he would fit into their current team.

J-C
02-07-2020, 02:38 PM
I can see Grealish being more in demand than McGinn purely due to the fact he's an exciting attacking midfielder but after saying that McGinn is that type of gritty talented midfielder that most teams need, I wonder if Bruce at Newcastle might be interested in him.

Inconsequential
02-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Can’t wish a club to be relegated just to suit us! 🙄 Totally agree. As already mentioned bad chat.

Stuart93
02-07-2020, 02:42 PM
I can see Grealish being more in demand than McGinn purely due to the fact he's an exciting attacking midfielder but after saying that McGinn is that type of gritty talented midfielder that most teams need, I wonder if Bruce at Newcastle might be interested in him.

And because he’s English.

Scouse Hibee
02-07-2020, 02:42 PM

I’d like him for sentimental reasons, but being realistic he would probably want regular game time and he’s not reached the level yet that he could displace any of our midfield. If he’s willing to do an Andy Robertson and bide his time then fair enough but I don’t see it.

JimBHibees
02-07-2020, 03:11 PM

Fair chance given he signed him before. Got to be said totally underwhelmed by Grealish.

JimBHibees
02-07-2020, 03:13 PM
Correct very bad ankle ligament injury.

Thought it was a broken ankle John had.

Scouse Hibee
02-07-2020, 03:31 PM
Fair chance given he signed him before. Got to be said totally underwhelmed by Grealish.

Me too.

Juniper Greens
02-07-2020, 03:55 PM
Best hope for us is they stay up and sell grealish. He is playing in a more advanced role, that mcginn has excelled at for Scotland

04Sauzee
02-07-2020, 04:50 PM
Massive rumours if a rumour can be massive that is 🤔 that Grealish to Man Utd is a done deal

JimBHibees
02-07-2020, 04:52 PM
Massive rumours if a rumour can be massive that is 🤔 that Grealish to Man Utd is a done deal

Can take over the Jesse Lingard totally overrated but likes the footballers lifestyle role. :greengrin

Lago
02-07-2020, 04:57 PM
And because he’s English.
As opposed to what? Spanish, Italian or

MWHIBBIES
02-07-2020, 05:07 PM
Can take over the Jesse Lingard totally overrated but likes the footballers lifestyle role. :greengrin

He is a better player with a much heigher ceiling than Lingard, though.

Stuart93
02-07-2020, 05:13 PM
As opposed to what? Spanish, Italian or

As opposed to being Scottish like McGinn

The fact Grealish is English increases his price tag down south because 9 times out of 10 they’re massively over hyped

Since452
02-07-2020, 05:15 PM

Love to see put in an empty room with Roy Keane

Since90+2
02-07-2020, 05:29 PM
Me too.

So far this season Grealish has created more chances than any other player in the league with the exception of Kevin Du Bruyne.

He has created 80 chances for his team mates, that's an incredible number playing for one of the leagues poorest sides in Villa.

J-C
02-07-2020, 05:44 PM
So far this season Grealish has created more chances than any other player in the league with the exception of Kevin Du Bruyne.

He has created 80 chances for his team mates, that's an incredible number playing for one of the leagues poorest sides in Villa.

He's also the most fouled player too, it goes to show what player in that team the opposition fears the most.

Hibee Mac
02-07-2020, 05:46 PM
I don't think you can look too much into McGinn's form since his injury, it's kind of like rating a player who has not had a pre season after only a few games of the season.

I want Villa to stay up but I have to say they are absolutely honking defensively, and they don't tend to create much going forward either to be honest...

Their full backs in particular are very poor in my opinion, and their striker problems have been well documented already this season. It's between them and Watford for the final relegation place now that West Ham have dug out a win

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
02-07-2020, 06:30 PM

It still doesn’t alter the fact that I’ve been underwhelmed whenever I have watched him. He’s never matched my expectations of him 😁

Lago
02-07-2020, 06:31 PM
I don't think you can look too much into McGinn's form since his injury, it's kind of like rating a player who has not had a pre season after only a few games of the season.

I want Villa to stay up but I have to say they are absolutely honking defensively, and they don't tend to create much going forward either to be honest...

Their full backs in particular are very poor in my opinion, and their striker problems have been well documented already this season. It's between them and Watford for the final relegation place now that West Ham have dug out a win

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
I want them to stay up as well, had a soft spot for them ever since Des Bremner went down there from Hibs.

Mibbes Aye
02-07-2020, 06:43 PM

I think Ceballos can show for Arsenal massively and typically of Arsenal signings or loans he needs a season to adjust to the EPL. McGinn would fit into the Arsenal side sweetly. And in relation to another thread Tierney looks outstanding - had troubles with injuries but played left back, left wingback and left midfield on his return and looked great, with Saka, Willock, Nketiah etc the young talent is great to see. Hopefully they can keep Aubameyang, and I am hopeful about what Saliba will offer when he comes back from loan.

Arteta could have a team on his hands. It’s been a while, Arsenal.

MWHIBBIES
02-07-2020, 07:41 PM
I think Ceballos can show for Arsenal massively and typically of Arsenal signings or loans he needs a season to adjust to the EPL. McGinn would fit into the Arsenal side sweetly. And in relation to another thread Tierney looks outstanding - had troubles with injuries but played left back, left wingback and left midfield on his return and looked great, with Saka, Willock, Nketiah etc the young talent is great to see. Hopefully they can keep Aubameyang, and I am hopeful about what Saliba will offer when he comes back from loan.

Yeah, I think the future is definitely bright for them. They are an easy target right now but there is some real quality there. Martinelli is one of the best young players in the world and could be a real star.

Aubameyang staying is important but securing all the young players and helping them reach thier potential is vital.

jacomo
02-07-2020, 09:10 PM

They sold out to an owner who doesn’t really care about the team though. That snake Kia Joorabian also appears to be heavily involved. Neither bodes well.

MWHIBBIES
02-07-2020, 09:20 PM
They sold out to an owner who doesn’t really care about the team though. That snake Kia Joorabian also appears to be heavily involved. Neither bodes well.

How exactly did they ''sell out''?

Same way Hibs fans couldn't do anything to stop Ron Gordon, Arsenal couldn't do anything about Kroenke. He wormed his way in and slowly took over.

McD
03-07-2020, 11:46 AM
I’d like him for sentimental reasons, but being realistic he would probably want regular game time and he’s not reached the level yet that he could displace any of our midfield. If he’s willing to do an Andy Robertson and bide his time then fair enough but I don’t see it.

Would love to see him going to Liverpool, don't think the way he plays for Scotland would fit into the way Liverpool play though, he'd need to adapt his style