PDA

View Full Version : Open goal with yogi

Tambo
29-06-2020, 04:32 PM
Just been uploaded half an hour ago, not watched it yet, title says it cover Celtic, Hibs and career legends.

Tambo
29-06-2020, 04:34 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BrRyCbDkc3c

HendoDelivered
29-06-2020, 07:07 PM
Looking forward to this.

Coco Bryce
29-06-2020, 07:12 PM
Does it come with subtitles?

JimBHibees
29-06-2020, 08:13 PM
Does it come with subtitles?

:greengrin

hulk
30-06-2020, 12:05 AM
It’s a great listen. Decent career and loads of laughs to boot.
He regards Latapy as the most gifted footballer he ever played with of managed. 👍

Since452
30-06-2020, 05:22 AM
Very funny guy. Couldn't help but laugh along with him. Good watch.

HendoDelivered
30-06-2020, 09:52 AM
He’s a hyper guy Yogi 😂 good interview, really enjoyed it. Hope to see him back into management ASAP.

Baader
30-06-2020, 10:28 AM
Yogi comes out of that very well. He's got some good stories. Loves Latapy!

Sammy7nil
30-06-2020, 11:38 AM
Good interview :aok:

Northernhibee
30-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Deserves to be back in management IMO.

Dmas
30-06-2020, 05:54 PM
Really enjoyed the interview really is a great big guy, can’t help but think his times been and gone with management though I’d have thought if he was going to get back in Falkirk would have been it, good luck to him though, guys starting out managerial careers e.g kenny Miller could do worse than giving yogi a number 2 spot

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2020, 06:38 PM
Heid like a ‘ Sheriff’s Badge!’ 😂

Ah ken a few players that have got one of them

gogsy23
30-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Yogi is just class. Great interview.

MagicSwirlingShip
30-06-2020, 08:22 PM
More tangents than a geometry textbook this one :dizzy::dizzy:

Entertaining watch though, was laughing along with them.

Hope the big man gets back in the game soon.:agree:

BroxburnHibee
30-06-2020, 09:33 PM
Don't know what it is but can't stand this guy Ferry and his interviewing style.

S4uzee
30-06-2020, 09:43 PM
Very little about his time managing Hibs which was strange

Yorkshire HFC
01-07-2020, 06:46 AM
Don't know what it is but can't stand this guy Ferry and his interviewing style.

I've listened to a few of them and I quite like them. You get more insight into the thinking of a footballer from him than from any other interviews that I've seen.

My main take away from them is that being a footballer isn't easy - the ones that make it are generally the ones who work the hardest. Which I suppose I already knew.

JimBHibees
01-07-2020, 06:54 AM
Personally like Ferry's interview style he gets the interviewee relaxed to chat away. Some very good interviews including ones from guys you may not think you would like e.g Jim Jeffries and Gary Naismith.

Yogis story about Latapy and the piano was brilliant.

bingo70
01-07-2020, 06:57 AM
I've listened to a few of them and I quite like them. You get more insight into the thinking of a footballer from him than from any other interviews that I've seen.

My main take away from them is that being a footballer isn't easy - the ones that make it are generally the ones who work the hardest. Which I suppose I already knew.

I think the interviews have highlighted how tough a character you need to have to make it in football. You can have all the ability in the world but unless you can take a bit of abuse (which in any normal industry could be classed as bullying) chances of you making it are slim, particularly at the likes of rangers and Celtic. Football changing rooms sound like a hell of a tough environment for a kid trying to break through.

BILLYHIBS
01-07-2020, 07:07 AM
Uh huh!

Yorkshire HFC
01-07-2020, 07:25 AM
I think the interviews have highlighted how tough a character you need to have to make it in football. You can have all the ability in the world but unless you can take a bit of abuse (which in any normal industry could be classed as bullying) chances of you making it are slim, particularly at the likes of rangers and Celtic. Football changing rooms sound like a hell of a tough environment for a kid trying to break through.

Yes - you definitely need to be mentally tough to make it in the changing room. And then when you actually start playing you get a whole crowd abusing you!

And then you read in the newspapers about how pampered and overpaid footballers are.

Despite all that, I bet noone regrets having been a professional athlete - they do have a great life, which they deserve.

Since452
01-07-2020, 07:29 AM

Think how I feel. I work with a bunch of Dundonians every day, they're all like Ferry 😂 Actually they're some of the most down to earth warmest people I know. Great folk. Nippy accent though.

HibbyAndy
01-07-2020, 07:48 AM
Personally like Ferry's interview style he gets the interviewee relaxed to chat away. Some very good interviews including ones from guys you may not think you would like e.g Jim Jeffries and Gary Naismith.

Yogis story about Latapy and the piano was brilliant.

Yep , Really enjoyed the Gary Naysmith interview

Squealing pig
01-07-2020, 03:31 PM
Not his best effort , best one I’ve seen was prob Mcpake , need to watch the Naismith one still.

Unseen work
02-07-2020, 02:12 PM
Was actually hoping for better and was a bit disappointed with it, purely because Yogi goes on massive rants and has about 5 stories within the one :greengrin

Really like Ferry and how he lets the person he’s interviewing talk freely however in this occasion he could have done with Interrupting to try and get a bit of structure to the interview, was a bit here there and everywhere.

Would have liked to hear a lot more about his time managing hibs.

I seen Ferry tweet that he couldn’t ask most of his questions because Yogi wouldn’t stop speaking!

If you’ve not seen it it’s still worth a watch but to summarise

”A great, great guy. Really brilliant guy”
”Go on”
”This is a true story”
”A great, great guy. Some of the things he used to do in training”

Unseen work
02-07-2020, 02:13 PM
On other people’s interviews, surprisingly I found Foderingham and Hallidays very good and up there with the best.

California-Hibs
02-07-2020, 02:20 PM
Largely doesn't get the respect he's earned due to the accent he has. Thetes been MUCH worse Hibs managers than John Hughes. Also what he done with Falkirk and more notably Inverness was nothing short of fantastic.

A Hibs hero, love big Yogi. It was a great listen! Just wish he had more of an opportunity to talk about his time managing Hibs, he was certainly bursting with pride when talking about being appointed!

Peevemor
02-07-2020, 02:24 PM
Largely doesn't get the respect he's earned due to the accent he has. Thetes been MUCH worse Hibs managers than John Hughes. Also what he done with Falkirk and more notably Inverness was nothing short of fantastic.

A Hibs hero, love big Yogi. It was a great listen!

This is nonsense, along the same lines as Alex Miller not being accepted by the Hibs support because he played for the huns.

Since452
02-07-2020, 02:27 PM
Not his best effort , best one I’ve seen was prob Mcpake , need to watch the Naismith one still.

McPake one was excellent. The Paddy McCourt one was brilliant.

California-Hibs
03-07-2020, 04:23 AM
This is nonsense, along the same lines as Alex Miller not being accepted by the Hibs support because he played for the huns.

It's not nonsense in the slightest. Are you seriously saying you're oblivious to the fact of the amount of flack he's taken off football fans for the way he speaks? And are you really saying it didn't rub off on a section of our support when the going got tough? It's an easy thing to pin point and make an agenda around.

I stand by my point, his accent definitely played(s) a big big part in the lack of respect from football fans at large.

Since90+2
03-07-2020, 05:07 AM
It's not nonsense in the slightest. Are you seriously saying you're oblivious to the fact of the amount of flack he's taken off football fans for the way he speaks? And are you really saying it didn't rub off on a section of our support when the going got tough? It's an easy thing to pin point and make an agenda around.

I stand by my point, his accent definitely played(s) a big big part in the lack of respect from football fans at large.

Don't agree with that at all. His accent has nothing to do with how he is viewed in the game.

Infact, the only time I've ever heard that before is when you said it.

As someone with a thick working class Edinburgh accent myself , like a good proportion of our support, it genuinely hadn't even been a consideration previously. I actually find it a rather odd thing to say in all honesty.

bigwheel
03-07-2020, 05:14 AM

I agree with that. There is definitely a “yogi is thick / old school” tone in the way some people talk about him. The same happens with Derek Ferguson. Because of their less that perfect grammar, people judge them differently than others. I like to listen to both of them. Love their passion for the game..and despite his persona, Yogi is well known as a student of modern thinking in football. Often misunderstood by those who don’t know his approaches. A lot of Hibs fans know him a bit more and have a more nuanced view, but the general point is spot on..there is definitely perceptions created because of the way he speaks..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since452
03-07-2020, 05:19 AM

Unfortunately you're correct

Winston Ingram
03-07-2020, 05:30 AM

I’m with you on this and I don’t think it’s just fans. He doesn’t sound very clever which i think may influence board members.

I’ d like to qualify this by saying I do think he’s quite bright.

Peevemor
03-07-2020, 05:59 AM
Football supporters & chairmen don't care how you speak.

Results & league placings count.

If Yogi is currently unemployed it's not down to how he speaks (although maybe, in part, to what he says).

Just_Jimmy
03-07-2020, 08:01 AM
Football supporters & chairmen don't care how you speak.

Results & league placings count.

If Yogi is currently unemployed it's not down to how he speaks (although maybe, in part, to what he says).They don't care until you start losing. Then anything is fair game.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Clarence
03-07-2020, 09:59 AM
What a rollercoaster season 2009/10 was under him. Think we were second in the league at Christmas before playing Rangers on 27th. There was a segment on us during Football Focus, with Martin Keown talking about how we had done so well and how it would be good for us to split the Old Firm. It was at that point that I thought uh oh, this is usually when things go Pete Tong! We then went on to lose most of our remaining games that season apart from beating Celtic at Parkhead and drawing 6-6 with Motherwell.

Never a dull moment with Yogi about and normally a few booboos along the way too.