PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Fyvie

California-Hibs
25-06-2020, 03:17 AM
So, I'm not sure how this passed me by but I just stumbled across the fact that Fraser Fyvie has been playing for Cove Rangers in League...2!

The guy who just a few years ago was lifting the Scottish Cup with us....what the heck has happened? I always thought he was a very handy player for us and have to admit to being very surprised he's been playing as low a standard as League 2. What makes it even more bizarre is checking his age, hes only bloody 27! Prime of his career etc

Again....what happened?!

Viva_Palmeiras
25-06-2020, 03:22 AM
Most recent interview (about a month ago think it was reminiscing about the cup) he talked about this.
Made the decision for his family no regrets.

Viva_Palmeiras
25-06-2020, 03:28 AM
He adds: “Choosing to leave [Hibs] was more about my family and moving back up the road.
“It wasn’t even close to being a footballing reason and, with the benefit of hindsight and only talking about football, I should have stayed, 100 per cent. But in terms of my family life, it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. That comes first.”

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2020/05/20/he-was-in-tears-and-said-my-grandad-died-the-happiest-man-in-the-world-fraser-fyvie-on-hibs-2016-scottish-cup-triumph-hibs-scottish-cup-alan-stubbs-fa-cup-wigan-manchester-city-uwe-rosler/

07BigD
25-06-2020, 05:47 AM
If I am not mistaken I'm pretty sure his knee is a problem as well, he's had two cruciate injuries on the same one, that may be a factor.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

18Craig75
25-06-2020, 06:09 AM
Always speaks fondly about Hibs. He did a podcast with Football CFB recently as well. Says it was the worst footballing decision of his career to leave, however the decision was taken for other reasons.

He was an integral part of that midfield. Loved watching him play, had a bit of bite and could play a pass.

Dmas
25-06-2020, 06:37 AM
Always speaks fondly about Hibs. He did a podcast with Football CFB recently as well. Says it was the worst footballing decision of his career to leave, however the decision was taken for other reasons.

He was an integral part of that midfield. Loved watching him play, had a bit of bite and could play a pass.

Really liked him as well, I was sad to see him go and put it down to a fall out but fair play to him it can’t be easy making those choices in a short career like football so I’m glad he’s no regrets about it.

G15 Hibs
25-06-2020, 08:08 AM
Cove are pretty ambitious, they've got a bit of money and are paying decent wages for League 2 - underlined by them getting promotion to League 1 at the first attempt without too much bother. If he needs or prefers to be in the area for family reasons or otherwise then its not a bad place for him to be.

Ozyhibby
25-06-2020, 08:18 AM
Fyvie done a decent job but his passing could be erratic and he could be wasteful in possession. Good engine though and knew how to tackle.
He will always be remembered as part of that team but few were worried when he left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marinello59
25-06-2020, 08:20 AM
Cove are pretty ambitious, they've got a bit of money and are paying decent wages for League 2 - underlined by them getting promotion to League 1 at the first attempt without too much bother. If he needs or prefers to be in the area for family reasons or otherwise then its not a bad place for him to be.

They have a number of really good players there as well as Paul Hartley managing them. I watched them a couple of times last season and whilst Fyvie was obviously a class act they were far from a one man band. Like you say, they are a team looking to move up the leagues and he will probably enjoy going on that journey with them. His wage won’t be bad either.

HendoDelivered
25-06-2020, 12:25 PM
Good player, liked him a lot.

Northernhibee
25-06-2020, 12:32 PM
They have a number of really good players there as well as Paul Hartley managing them. I watched them a couple of times last season and whilst Fyvie was obviously a class act they were far from a one man band. Like you say, they are a team looking to move up the leagues and he will probably enjoy going on that journey with them. His wage won’t be bad either.

Megginson, Masson, Watson, Higgins, Fyvie, McAllister are all very good players. Wouldn't shock me for them to challenge for promotion this coming season as well.

Used to work for a director and a couple of their players worked with us - to be able to offer players who nearing the end of their career or indeed who have had bad injuries a full time job as well as regular first team football is a powerful tool. We occasionally managed to get into hospitality and they're a really excellent, ambitious club and I keep a keen eye on their results.

Ardenttwo
25-06-2020, 04:08 PM
So, I'm not sure how this passed me by but I just stumbled across the fact that Fraser Fyvie has been playing for Cove Rangers in League...2!

The guy who just a few years ago was lifting the Scottish Cup with us....what the heck has happened? I always thought he was a very handy player for us and have to admit to being very surprised he's been playing as low a standard as League 2. What makes it even more bizarre is checking his age, hes only bloody 27! Prime of his career etc

Again....what happened?!

Saw him playing v Elgin City not long ago and he was utter mince and rightly subbed

Craig_in_Prague
25-06-2020, 04:11 PM
If he'd gave the ball away in the last moments of the game (bad pass or so)... or crossed or lost it instead of letting it run out on 79th minute... quite possibly no cup win.

Small moments with big impact.

Limited player but liked him, added bite and as it shown that great day, a footballing head when needed too.

MWHIBBIES
25-06-2020, 04:13 PM
Fyvie done a decent job but his passing could be erratic and he could be wasteful in possession. Good engine though and knew how to tackle.
He will always be remembered as part of that team but few were worried when he left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allan is the only midfielder better than Fyvie we've signed since he left.

His passing could be erratic, but he also passed it twice as much as anyone else. Always available. The Fyvie that left Hibs would be one of the first names on the teamsheet now IMO.

Stuart93
25-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Allan is the only midfielder better than Fyvie we've signed since he left.

His passing could be erratic, but he also passed it twice as much as anyone else. Always available. The Fyvie that left Hibs would be one of the first names on the teamsheet now IMO.

I’d say Mallan is probably better than Fyvie

FilipinoHibs
25-06-2020, 05:23 PM
I’d say Mallan is probably better than Fyvie

At hiding.

supermcginn
25-06-2020, 05:26 PM
Saw him playing v Elgin City not long ago and he was utter mince and rightly subbed

The master of the misplaced 5 yard pass. Toiled badly at Dundee utd it's no surprise he's ended up down the leagues.

Stuart93
25-06-2020, 05:36 PM
At hiding.

He’s a much better player than Fyvie imo

Fergos
25-06-2020, 05:39 PM
If you want to understand what FFs all about, watch Time For Heroes. Maybe not the most gifted, but a very decent player and a winner. And now a legend.

GGTTH

MWHIBBIES
25-06-2020, 05:42 PM
He’s a much better player than Fyvie imo

Only at shooting, everthing else not in my opinion. Been missing for 18 months now.

MWHIBBIES
25-06-2020, 05:44 PM
The master of the misplaced 5 yard pass. Toiled badly at Dundee utd it's no surprise he's ended up down the leagues.

He misplaced one pass at Ibrox and this nonsense has stuck... embarrassing

Master at winning the Scottish cup and promotion.

Oh, and the FA Cup.

Since452
25-06-2020, 05:46 PM
How many Fyvie threads have we had now? 😂

J-C
25-06-2020, 05:50 PM
How many Fyvie threads have we had now? 😂

Five-ie

MagicSwirlingShip
25-06-2020, 06:31 PM
Only at shooting, everthing else not in my opinion. Been missing for 18 months now.

+1

Fyvie a better all round player.

fiolex1
25-06-2020, 06:42 PM
Having watched the cup final a good few times, he was outstanding on that day!

calumhibee1
25-06-2020, 06:45 PM
Having watched the cup final a good few times, he was outstanding on that day!

:agree:

Although everybody was to be fair.

stantonhibby
25-06-2020, 07:09 PM
I like them both.....hope that's allowed.

Kato
25-06-2020, 07:17 PM
The master of the misplaced 5 yard pass. Toiled badly at Dundee utd it's no surprise he's ended up down the leagues.My Dundee Utd supporting pal said he was their most influential player until he received his injuries, couldn't keep up the pace after that.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

1van Sprou7e
26-06-2020, 10:19 PM

"Toiled" at utd? Lol

allezsauzee
26-06-2020, 10:31 PM
Even though I knew SJM was destined for better things, I thought he was our best player when he was at Hibs. Dictated the pace of the game, linked defence to attack brilliantly. Poor judgment on his part to play games with Lenny when it came to renewing his contract and I think injuries have taken their toll on him which is why he finds himself at Cove.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-06-2020, 10:36 PM
Even though I knew SJM was destined for better things, I thought he was our best player when he was at Hibs. Dictated the pace of the game, linked defence to attack brilliantly. Poor judgment on his part to play games with Lenny when it came to renewing his contract and I think injuries have taken their toll on him which is why he finds himself at Cove.

Was it not Fyvie that came on and made the difference for Aberdeen when we played the game Memory of Eddie Turnbull after is death 1-3 from memory. For Effs sake Hibs.

Centre Hawf
27-06-2020, 07:38 AM
+1

Fyvie a better all round player.

This. If we had the Fyvie that left (different to the one that is playing now no doubt) he would have been a first choice in the midfield that has lacked some of the dig he helped provide. Fyvie from 2015/16 and even 2016/17 would walk in beside someone else behind Allan.

Bristolhibby
27-06-2020, 08:19 AM
Anyone know what his family reasons were?

If it’s just the missus can’t pop round to her mums every day for a coffee, that’s not good enough IMHO.

J

supermcginn
27-06-2020, 08:48 AM
"Toiled" at utd? Lol

"Lol" yes that's why they released him.

HendoDelivered
27-06-2020, 09:08 AM
Off topic but I see Juinor side Darvel have signed ex St Mirren, Falkirk, QoS and Ross Co midfielder, Ian McShane - still only 27. Top, top signing for that level.

Iain G
27-06-2020, 09:11 AM
Off topic but I see Juinor side Darvel have signed ex St Mirren, Falkirk, QoS and Ross Co midfielder, Ian McShane - still only 27. Top, top signing for that level.

No deadwood for them then!

GlesgaeHibby
27-06-2020, 09:12 AM

If it’s just the missus can’t pop round to her mums every day for a coffee, that’s not good enough IMHO.

J

Not good enough? Seriously? It's his life, and if he feels he has made the right call for his family then good on him.

Good player, and would have been delighted if he'd stayed at Hibs. Glad to see he's happy where he is now though.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2020, 09:26 AM

J

:faf:

J-C
27-06-2020, 10:03 AM
"Lol" yes that's why they released him.

He done his cruciate ligament, that can ruin anyone's career, he struggled after he came back from that.

Fyvie wasn't spectacular in any way, he was a decent solid midfielder who did the basics well, my only gripe with him was his sideways passes all too often just to keep the ball flowing, never seemed to take a chance with a pass, injuries have now caught up with him.

Green Man
27-06-2020, 10:10 AM
Not good enough? Seriously? It's his life, and if he feels he has made the right call for his family then good on him.

Good player, and would have been delighted if he'd stayed at Hibs. Glad to see he's happy where he is now though.

Absolutely. As fans, we always look at players’ moves from a footballing perspective, but for the players it’s their job like anyone else’s. If I was looking at changing jobs, I’d be far more inclined to take one that allowed me to stay close to my family.

Bronson
27-06-2020, 10:15 AM
Ahh it’s that time again already, the 6 monthly Fraser Fyvie thread.

Never fails to amaze me how highly rated he is by some on here, classic case of distance makes the heart grow fonder.

A good 6 months when he first signed, after that I thought he was mediocre at best. Gave the ball away far too often (see 4-2 v rangers at ibrox for example). I’ve said it before, there’s a reason he’s playing for cove in his prime years, if he was half as good as some on here would have you believe then he’d have got another spl club no bother. You can cite family reasons but if you think he wouldn’t jump at another spl move you’re kidding yourself on.

No disrespect to the guy, just my opinion. I’m sure he’s a nice bloke and he was part of the cup winning team so will always be fondly remembered for that, but I won’t go along with the idea that he was a great player for hibs.

Oh, and despite his flaws, mallan is twice the player.

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2020, 10:19 AM

Never fails to amaze me how highly rated he is by some on here, classic case of distance makes the heart grow fonder.

A good 6 months when he first signed, after that I thought he was mediocre at best. Gave the ball away far too often (see 4-2 v rangers at ibrox for example). I’ve said it before, there’s a reason he’s playing for cove in his prime years, if he was half as good as some on here would have you believe then he’d have got another spl club no bother. You can cite family reasons but if you think he wouldn’t jump at another spl move you’re kidding yourself on.

No disrespect to the guy, just my opinion. I’m sure he’s a nice bloke and he was part of the cup winning team so will always be fondly remembered for that, but I won’t go along with the idea that he was a great player for hibs.

I dont understand these comparisons, they are completely different players? Mallan is best going forward, and Fyvie was best sitting in, neither can do the other job well.

Bronson
27-06-2020, 10:22 AM
I dont understand these comparisons, they are completely different players? Mallan is best going forward, and Fyvie was best sitting in, neither can do the other job well.

You’re right they are different players, I’m just commenting on what others had mentioned in previous posts as it was suggested we’ve never signed a better midfielder since fyvie left. Would take mallan over him every day and twice on sundays if it was a choice between the two.

FilipinoHibs
27-06-2020, 10:22 AM

Mallan been a complete waste of space for a long time. Completely gutless and not scoring for a some time. We are a man down when he plays.

Bristolhibby
27-06-2020, 10:33 AM

It’s absolutely up to him. But I find it really small pond syndrome that families don’t get behind well paid footballers and broaden their horizons (in return for good pay).

Personally and I’m not saying FFs situation is the same. But if I was earning a lot of money every week I’d expect my wife and kids to move with me.

I moved a lot as a kid including abroad, my Mum never made us all move back to Edinburgh. Despite the fact that I’m sure she missed her family. Ended up down here in England because of Dads work.

J

PH91
27-06-2020, 10:42 AM
We are a man down when he plays.

Not quite the full truth. We are like a man down when he is asked to play as a central or defensive midfielder. He doesn't have the defensive qualities to play there and Hecky almost drove me crazy by continually doing it.

It wouldn't be like a man down if played in his proper position though i.e. where scott allan usually plays. You only have to look at Newell to see how a player written off as utter p*sh can go on to play very well if given the right role in the team.

Centre Hawf
27-06-2020, 11:23 AM
Not quite the full truth. We are like a man down when he is asked to play as a central or defensive midfielder. He doesn't have the defensive qualities to play there and Hecky almost drove me crazy by continually doing it.

It wouldn't be like a man down if played in his proper position though i.e. where scott allan usually plays. You only have to look at Newell to see how a player written off as utter p*sh can go on to play very well if given the right role in the team.

I do agree with what you say in that it's unfair to play him at CDM and expect him to put a shift in like Bartley or even McGeouch, but I think even in Allan's position the guy is a passenger. His effect on the game from open play is pretty much void if he's not scoring and even his set pieces for a while have been piss poor. I think his confidence has taken a dip for sure but his performances have been far from good enough to justify him getting into the team over the names we had from January onwards (i know he was injured too)

bigwheel
27-06-2020, 11:30 AM
I do agree with what you say in that it's unfair to play him at CDM and expect him to put a shift in like Bartley or even McGeouch, but I think even in Allan's position the guy is a passenger. His effect on the game from open play is pretty much void if he's not scoring and even his set pieces for a while have been piss poor. I think his confidence has taken a dip for sure but his performances have been far from good enough to justify him getting into the team over the names we had from January onwards (i know he was injured too)

What does “passenger” mean when people decry Mallan, because he works hard enough, always makes himself available for the ball (a bit like fyvie did actually), he has a good range of passing, and is a decent passer too. So it can’t be that...I’m assuming it is he doesn’t work back enough and win enough of the ball..that’s certainly not his forty. No way he is a passenger though. Works his socks off, even when it’s not happening for him. He’s the type of player that teammates will like to have in the side, but unless he is making or scoring goals, fans won’t appreciate him as much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

flash
27-06-2020, 11:35 AM
What does “passenger” mean when people decry Mallan, because he works hard enough, always makes himself available for the ball (a bit like fyvie did actually), he has a good range of passing, and is a decent passer too. So it can’t be that...I’m assuming it is he doesn’t work back enough and win enough of the ball..that’s certainly not his forty. No way he is a passenger thigh. Works his socks off, even when it’s not happening for him. He’s the type of player that teammates will like to have in the side, but unless he is making or scoring goals, fans won’t appreciate him as much.

What it means is a lot of people who watch fitba have their eyes painted on.

bigwheel
27-06-2020, 11:37 AM
What it means is a lot of people who watch fitba have their eyes painted on.

[emoji1787]

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2020, 12:13 PM

It's you again, in the fyvie thread with the same post. Wrong about distance making the heart grow fonder. Many rated him them. I was a huge fan every minute he was here.

"For example" yes, that's the only example anyone ever has.
Go on, give another.

In what aspects is Mallan better, apart from shooting?

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2020, 12:16 PM

He isn't good enough to get in the team at his supposed best position. That's the problem.

Centre Hawf
27-06-2020, 12:23 PM
What does “passenger” mean when people decry Mallan, because he works hard enough, always makes himself available for the ball (a bit like fyvie did actually), he has a good range of passing, and is a decent passer too. So it can’t be that...I’m assuming it is he doesn’t work back enough and win enough of the ball..that’s certainly not his forty. No way he is a passenger though. Works his socks off, even when it’s not happening for him. He’s the type of player that teammates will like to have in the side, but unless he is making or scoring goals, fans won’t appreciate him as much.

In my opinion he doesn't work hard enough, he lack the physicality and drive to impose himself on or off the ball in a midfield at the level we're wanting to challenge at. Fair enough if you think he has all the attributes you listed but I certainly don't agree I'm afraid.

PH91
27-06-2020, 12:26 PM
He isn't good enough to get in the team at his supposed best position. That's the problem.

There is no problem. He won't play regularly ahead of allan but its a squad game and he will get game time during the season either from the bench, if allan is injured or has a dip in form or in a formation that allows both to play (albeit there aren't many imo).

bigwheel
27-06-2020, 12:27 PM
In my opinion he doesn't work hard enough, he lack the physicality and drive to impose himself on or off the ball in a midfield at the level we're wanting to challenge at. Fair enough if you think he has all the attributes you listed but I certainly don't agree I'm afraid.

I can understand people not liking what he does off the ball, definitely a weak point ...but your “on the ball” point doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny ...

Centre Hawf
27-06-2020, 12:37 PM
I can understand people not liking what he does off the ball, definitely a weak point ...but your “on the ball” point doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny ...

It's been a long time since I've seen a player strike a ball like he can at Hibs, he's in the category of Deeks and Griff for that accolade in the last 10/15 years. In his first season his ability on the ball was showing especially when he creates space to shoot. But this season we've not seen that except his goal against Hearts. His play making skills have been lacking as well, for me he needs to really kick on next season and show us something because if Hibs fans are sitting debating whether folk like Omeonga or Halberg are good enough for us then Mallan certainly hasn't been for a while.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2020, 02:42 PM
There is no problem. He won't play regularly ahead of allan but its a squad game and he will get game time during the season either from the bench, if allan is injured or has a dip in form or in a formation that allows both to play (albeit there aren't many imo).

Well that's an entire season he hasn't been anywhere near taking Allan's spot. How long do we wait?

I'd rather guys on the wages Mallan is probably earning were actually good enough to play every week.

supermcginn
27-06-2020, 03:36 PM

Great post, couldn't agree more.

Bronson
27-06-2020, 04:01 PM
It's you again, in the fyvie thread with the same post. Wrong about distance making the heart grow fonder. Many rated him them. I was a huge fan every minute he was here.

"For example" yes, that's the only example anyone ever has.
Go on, give another.

In what aspects is Mallan better, apart from shooting?

Entitled to share my opinion as much as you are mate, it’s a fans forum for discussion. I’m not sure why my opinion on fraser fyvie offends you so much, it’s nothing personal I just didn’t rate him.

Funnily enough, I can’t think of a dozen specific examples of a player giving the ball away 4 years ago off the top of my head. I remember the rangers game as it was a huge game and it cost us the equaliser, not to mention his pathetic defending at the 4th goal. The fact of the matter is it was a feature of his game that really let him down. I’m not the only one who seen it, perhaps you just choose to look past it.

Mallan’s levels above fyvie technically. Shooting, passing, first touch - not even close for me. Gets about the pitch less and not as robust but a far better footballer.

tamig
27-06-2020, 04:15 PM
No deadwood for them then!

Seems to have bypassed many so touchè sir 😀

allezsauzee
27-06-2020, 04:19 PM
Mallan been a complete waste of space for a long time. Completely gutless and not scoring for a some time. We are a man down when he plays.

Can't agree with this. Mallan is a good player. Unfortunately I don't think he can play in the same team as Scott Allan as they want to occupy the same positions and neither are particularly good at the defensive part of the game.

Smartie
27-06-2020, 05:34 PM
Fyvie made a bigger contribution at Hibs than Mallan has done.

Fyvie was generally played in his right position, in a good team, against poor opposition though.

Mallan I feel a bit sorry for. He clearly has something about him but is being judged by many for being very poor when played out of position. It would be interesting to see what he could do in a decent team, played in the right position.

PH91
27-06-2020, 05:46 PM
Well that's an entire season he hasn't been anywhere near taking Allan's spot. How long do we wait?

I'd rather guys on the wages Mallan is probably earning were actually good enough to play every week.

The original point was that Mallan was hung out to dry a bit by previous managers playing him in a role that doesn't suit him.

As for the above, what you think he probably earns is irrelevant. It is up to Ross to get value from him. What is encouraging from last season is Ross seems to recognise that Mallans best position is further forward. If that leads to using him as a sub or only in certain games then so be it, at least we might get a chance to see and judge him in his best position which we have rarely seen so far.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2020, 06:01 PM
Entitled to share my opinion as much as you are mate, it’s a fans forum for discussion. I’m not sure why my opinion on fraser fyvie offends you so much, it’s nothing personal I just didn’t rate him.

Funnily enough, I can’t think of a dozen specific examples of a player giving the ball away 4 years ago off the top of my head. I remember the rangers game as it was a huge game and it cost us the equaliser, not to mention his pathetic defending at the 4th goal. The fact of the matter is it was a feature of his game that really let him down. I’m not the only one who seen it, perhaps you just choose to look past it.

Mallan’s levels above fyvie technically. Shooting, passing, first touch - not even close for me. Gets about the pitch less and not as robust but a far better footballer.

It offends me because you present that opinion as well as knocking others opinions down. You literally open you post by slating others opinions.

I didn't chose to look past it, he didn't give the ball away that much, simple as. It didn't happen. No more than McGinn. Fyvie was the deep lying guy, the guy who passed it the most, the guy who took it off the fullbacks (notice how often they turn back now, that wasn't a thing 3 years ago). He had a stinker that day against Rangers. It was such an anomly that it is still literally the only one anyone ever comes up with.

Mallan is only levels above him in shooting. He gives the ball away plenty as well. Watch next time he plays how often it happens. Fyvie dominates him in consistency, mentality, positioning, determination, decision making, workrate.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2020, 06:03 PM
The original point was that Mallan was hung out to dry a bit by previous managers playing him in a role that doesn't suit him.

As for the above, what you think he probably earns is irrelevant. It is up to Ross to get value from him. What is encouraging from last season is Ross seems to recognise that Mallans best position is further forward. If that leads to using him as a sub or only in certain games then so be it, at least we might get a chance to see and judge him in his best position which we have rarely seen so far.

Is it his best position? Other than his shooting, what makes him so good there? He cant beat a man, doesn't run with the ball, doesn't split the opposition and isn't very fast. Those are pretty vital things to be a good attacking midfielder.

Garibaldis
27-06-2020, 06:10 PM
I think Mallan is a good player. He's scored some great goals for us and it's worth mentioning that only Tavernier and McGregor had more assists than him in the Premiership last season.

The players must rate him for voting him player of the season.

PH91
27-06-2020, 06:31 PM
Is it his best position? Other than his shooting, what makes him so good there? He cant beat a man, doesn't run with the ball, doesn't split the opposition and isn't very fast. Those are pretty vital things to be a good attacking midfielder.

I'm not sure what your point is other than you don't rate Mallan as a footballer.

I'm not saying he is definitely going to be good if played there or that he is a great player. All i'm saying is i think he was hung out to dry a bit and should get a chance to change peoples opinion of him by playing in his best position.

Mallan himself said that the best 6 months of his career came at st mirren after mcginn was signed and he was freed from defensive duties to get forward. Add his obvious excellent technical ability and poor defensive qualities and i think its fair to say his best position is as an attacking midfield player.

Bronson
27-06-2020, 06:37 PM
It offends me because you present that opinion as well as knocking others opinions down. You literally open you post by slating others opinions.

I didn't chose to look past it, he didn't give the ball away that much, simple as. It didn't happen. No more than McGinn. Fyvie was the deep lying guy, the guy who passed it the most, the guy who took it off the fullbacks (notice how often they turn back now, that wasn't a thing 3 years ago). He had a stinker that day against Rangers. It was such an anomly that it is still literally the only one anyone ever comes up with.

Mallan is only levels above him in shooting. He gives the ball away plenty as well. Watch next time he plays how often it happens. Fyvie dominates him in consistency, mentality, positioning, determination, decision making, workrate.

I think you’re being a bit sensitive there chief but not going to get into an argument over something trivial.

Haha I went to enough games to know it’s not a pigment of my imagination, used to drive me crazy, he was terrible for giving the ball away. I’m not the only one saying it - we canny all have made it up?

Would give you determination and work rate. Any technical ability comparison mallan wipes the floor with him. Obviously I disagree on decision making given my groans about fyvie’s carelessness in possession.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2020, 06:53 PM
I think you’re being a bit sensitive there chief but not going to get into an argument over something trivial.

Haha I went to enough games to know it’s not a pigment of my imagination, used to drive me crazy, he was terrible for giving the ball away. I’m not the only one saying it - we canny all have made it up?

Would give you determination and work rate. Any technical ability comparison mallan wipes the floor with him. Obviously I disagree on decision making given my groans about fyvie’s carelessness in possession.

I'm not being sensitive, you cannot expect your posts to be taken serious and your right to an opinion respected when you start by insulting others opinions.

I'd say tackling is a technical attribute? Fyvie has it there by miles. Mallan is tidy, nice to watch on a youtube highlight reel. The reality is quite different. A reason one was a vital player in the cup winning Hibs side and the other not even the best player in his position.

I went to enough games to know he didn't give it away. You, in my opinion, are blinded by 1 match against Rangers. Shame because you'd think his cup winning performance against Rangers would be the one that sticks in the memory.

I think the facts are way in Fyvies favour. Mallan as I say looks tidy on youtube but aside from the odd goal offers very little.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2020, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure what your point is other than you don't rate Mallan as a footballer.

I'm not saying he is definitely going to be good if played there or that he is a great player. All i'm saying is i think he was hung out to dry a bit and should get a chance to change peoples opinion of him by playing in his best position.

Mallan himself said that the best 6 months of his career came at st mirren after mcginn was signed and he was freed from defensive duties to get forward. Add his obvious excellent technical ability and poor defensive qualities and i think its fair to say his best position is as an attacking midfield player.

He doesn't have excellent technical ability. Dribbling is a technical ability and he isn't good at it. Passing is a technical ability and he isn't really very good at it.

I just don't see it with Mallan at all. He is still living off a good first 4 months or so. Offered next to nothing for 18 months now. His arrival and playing every week has coincided with a real decline in our midfield.

PH91
27-06-2020, 07:16 PM
He doesn't have excellent technical ability. Dribbling is a technical ability and he isn't good at it. Passing is a technical ability and he isn't really very good at it.

I just don't see it with Mallan at all. He is still living off a good first 4 months or so. Offered next to nothing for 18 months now. His arrival and playing every week has coincided with a real decline in our midfield.

We have hijacked this thread a bit so will leave it at you think he is p*sh and i think the jury is still out given we haven't seen him play regularly in his right position with the right blend of players around him.

Hiber-nation
27-06-2020, 07:17 PM
Any new threads on Fyvie should be banned. He's been done to death on here. His career confirms that he's nowhere near as good or bad as folk on here continually make out.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2020, 07:22 PM
Any new threads on Fyvie should be banned. He's been done to death on here. His career confirms that he's nowhere near as good or bad as folk on here continually make out.

His career confirms he got some bad injuries and decided to be closer to home while earning a good wage. After winning 2 major cups, one either side of the border, I'm sure he is quite happy.

I don't see why threads on any football related subject should be banned on here. If you dislike the subject, don't open it. I think normal members trying to police the forum is much worse than any repetition in subject.

Hiber-nation
27-06-2020, 07:24 PM
His career confirms he got some bad injuries and decided to be closer to home while earning a good wage. After winning 2 major cups, one either side of the border, I'm sure he is quite happy.

I don't see why threads on any football related subject should be banned on here. If you dislike the subject, don't open it. I think normal members trying to police the forum is much worse than any repetition in subject.

I wasn't really being serious. I just can't be bothered with the same old debates over and over again. Amen.

BILLYHIBS
27-06-2020, 07:41 PM
I wasn't really being serious. I just can't be bothered with the same old debates over and over again. Amen.

👍

Bronson
27-06-2020, 07:50 PM
I'm not being sensitive, you cannot expect your posts to be taken serious and your right to an opinion respected when you start by insulting others opinions.

I'd say tackling is a technical attribute? Fyvie has it there by miles. Mallan is tidy, nice to watch on a youtube highlight reel. The reality is quite different. A reason one was a vital player in the cup winning Hibs side and the other not even the best player in his position.

I went to enough games to know he didn't give it away. You, in my opinion, are blinded by 1 match against Rangers. Shame because you'd think his cup winning performance against Rangers would be the one that sticks in the memory.

I think the facts are way in Fyvies favour. Mallan as I say looks tidy on youtube but aside from the odd goal offers very little.

At no point have I insulted you or your opinion, or anyone’s for that matter. No idea where you’re getting that from.

When i say technical i really mean in possession of the ball. I’ve already agreed fyvie was better without it, it’s what he did with it when he had it that i didn’t like.

I don’t agree the facts are in fyvie’s favour. The facts are he’s 27 and should be in his prime but plays part time at cove rangers. I think hibs fans are very attached to every member of the cup winning team, which i can understand, but perhaps it clouds your memory slightly.

The_Exile
27-06-2020, 08:12 PM

The thread is literally titled "Fraser Fyvie". Why did you open it, presumably read it all, get raging, then tell us all we shouldn't talk about him? The mindset is as intriguing as it is baffling mate. If you can't be bothered with discussions about it then don't open the ****ing thread.

MWHIBBIES
27-06-2020, 08:13 PM
At no point have I insulted you or your opinion, or anyone’s for that matter. No idea where you’re getting that from.

When i say technical i really mean in possession of the ball. I’ve already agreed fyvie was better without it, it’s what he did with it when he had it that i didn’t like.

I don’t agree the facts are in fyvie’s favour. The facts are he’s 27 and should be in his prime but plays part time at cove rangers. I think hibs fans are very attached to every member of the cup winning team, which i can understand, but perhaps it clouds your memory slightly.

It really does not cloud my memory. I've been slaughtered many times on here for critising Gray, Logan, Stokes, Cummings etc. Stop looking for reasons that cloud my judgement of Fyvie. I think he is a quality player, simple as that. I could just as easily say your (and basically everyone on here) opinion of Mallan is clouded because of the 4 months or so of good formed he showed.

Facts are he has won an FA cup and a Scottish cup while Mallan is maybe the backup in his position here.

Hiber-nation
27-06-2020, 08:26 PM
The thread is literally titled "Fraser Fyvie". Why did you open it, presumably read it all, get raging, then tell us all we shouldn't talk about him? The mindset is as intriguing as it is baffling mate. If you can't be bothered with discussions about it then don't open the ****ing thread.

Jings calm doon!

Inconsequential
27-06-2020, 08:37 PM
It really does not cloud my memory. I've been slaughtered many times on here for critising Gray, Logan, Stokes, Cummings etc. Stop looking for reasons that cloud my judgement of Fyvie. I think he is a quality player, simple as that. I could just as easily say your (and basically everyone on here) opinion of Mallan is clouded because of the 4 months or so of good formed he showed.

Facts are he has won an FA cup and a Scottish cup while Mallan is maybe the backup in his position here. Stevie Mallan hasn't played since Boxing Day when he was injured. Who knows what role he will resume with Hibs? I believe he would be in the team more often than not. Fraser Fyvie left the club quite some time ago and remains in the past. He was never one of my favourites and his passing from time to time was certainly erratic. He was a steady player though but I think Hibs were the pinnacle of his career. Had his chance to stay blew it. How his career has gone since leaving Hibs has mirrored this. Mallan now has a manager who will know how to get the best out of him.