staunchhibby
24-06-2020, 04:25 PM
See he has rejected contract extension

Seveno
24-06-2020, 05:03 PM
Bring him home.

Northernhibee
24-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Yeah, would have him back here but don't know if we could afford him.

Nicho87
24-06-2020, 05:08 PM
1 year deal would be sensational

Since452
24-06-2020, 05:23 PM
Way way out our wage bracket

Big_Franck
24-06-2020, 05:25 PM
We've no chance of matching the wage offers he'll still get in England after the season he's just had. Can only hope he wants back up the road for family reasons. He'd be a brilliant signing even at 33.

Sammy7nil
24-06-2020, 05:27 PM
Way way out our wage bracket

He is but he shouldn't be he is not worth the money he will be asking. Ask Sunderland fans what they think when he was posing alongside his Ferrari.

SquashedFrogg
24-06-2020, 05:43 PM
He is but he shouldn't be he is not worth the money he will be asking. Ask Sunderland fans what they think when he was posing alongside his Ferrari.

What he gets paid isn't his fault. Good luck to him and every penny he makes.

Sammy7nil
24-06-2020, 05:49 PM
What he gets paid isn't his fault. Good luck to him and every penny he makes.

Correct, however what he delivers for that pay is.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3007431/Sunderland-s-form-Steven-Fletcher-poses-new-260-000-Lamborghini-sparking-anger-fans.html

brianmc
24-06-2020, 05:54 PM
Regardless of the above bickering I'm pretty sure wages circa 30k a week are a teeny weeny bit beyond us.

TelaStella
24-06-2020, 05:55 PM
Could go one way or the other. Number one is us being no where near capable of matching the wages or number two being no one down south willing to match his wages all given the current climate of course. If Number two proves to be the case at 33, it wouldn’t be such a bad move for him to come back up the road here and enjoy what years he may have left and maybe start focusing more closely on his coaching should that be the path he chooses, something similar to Naismith with hearts. I’m sure however Fletch still feels he’s got a decent crack left in him and is still in and about the Scotland squad and will have more suiting offers this summer. Most intriguing point of it all would be how’d he fit in with Doidge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_Franck
24-06-2020, 05:57 PM

And what he delivered for that pay at Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship has been good. He's just had a great season. He'll easily have other offers in the Championship again should he want to stay down there.

Sammy7nil
24-06-2020, 06:03 PM
And what he delivered for that pay at Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship has been good. He's just had a great season. He'll easily have other offers in the Championship again should he want to stay down there.

Not looking for an argument but 7 goals in two years at Sunderland when he was in his prime was somewhat disappointing.

I like him and I'm sure he would do well in Scotland however I simply don't think he is worth what I would imagine his agent will be looking for. As squashed said that is not Stevens problem.

The Harp Awakes
24-06-2020, 06:08 PM
A move back to Hibs for a year may suit him and his family. Not a crazy idea.

blackpoolhibs
24-06-2020, 06:13 PM
Not looking for an argument but 7 goals in two years at Sunderland when he was in his prime was somewhat disappointing.

I like him and I'm sure he would do well in Scotland however I simply don't think he is worth what I would imagine his agent will be looking for. As squashed said that is not Stevens problem.

And we would not be offering anything like the money he may get down south, but if he wanted back up the road, then i'd have thought Celtic apart, he'd come to us if he still wanted to play.

The Modfather
24-06-2020, 06:17 PM
Putting aside the fact we could only afford him if he wanted to come back, is he too similar in style to Doidge or could they play together?

RoYO!
24-06-2020, 06:19 PM
A move back to Hibs for a year may suit him and his family. Not a crazy idea.

But probably in 5 years :)

jacomo
24-06-2020, 08:16 PM

Why so bitter?

jacomo
24-06-2020, 08:17 PM
Putting aside the fact we could only afford him if he wanted to come back, is he too similar in style to Doidge or could they play together?

SF is a very intelligent player. He could play with Doidge, but that pairing would lack the pace to stretch defences.

MrSmith
24-06-2020, 08:28 PM
Benny Factor will buy him for the jumbos.

superfurryhibby
24-06-2020, 08:28 PM
SF is a very intelligent player. He could play with Doidge, but that pairing would lack the pace to stretch defences.

True, but so much of the game is played in the final third of the field. Maybe pace out wide is more essential and we have that at the moment. Fletcher is a clever player, as is Doidge. They would be a useful pairing in our league.

04Sauzee
24-06-2020, 08:31 PM

Doidge is no slouch, think he’s pretty clever as well and could partner all kinds of different strike partners

lord bunberry
24-06-2020, 08:32 PM
Why so bitter?
Bitter and wrong, it was a Lamborghini.

MWHIBBIES
24-06-2020, 08:37 PM

His record at Sunderland in a piss poor side with him having bad injury issues is actually a goal every 3.5 games (90 minutes that is). Not great sure but not actually that bad.

Very good record over 2 years for Wolves. He actually had 4 very good seasons in the premier league which is enough to earn you a good wage for the rest of your life.

Northernhibee
24-06-2020, 08:43 PM
Doidge is no slouch, think he’s pretty clever as well and could partner all kinds of different strike partners

Some say his goals where he’s beaten the keeper to an easy catch and the like were lucky but Doidge is switched on. He knows when to pressure a keeper or defender and when not to, scores with both feet and his head and although it’s rarely pretty his game intelligence is as good as we’ve had from a striker in years.

Danderhall Hibs
24-06-2020, 09:09 PM
I read a good article on The Athletic about him - really highly rated as a team player down there. Arguably earned the lost money.out of the “golden generation” - he’s had a great career. Scott Brown beats him for medals but for money and longevity he seems to be the one.

I’d take him back in a minute.

jacomo
24-06-2020, 09:12 PM
True, but so much of the game is played in the final third of the field. Maybe pace out wide is more essential and we have that at the moment. Fletcher is a clever player, as is Doidge. They would be a useful pairing in our league.

You may well be right. Anyhow it’s a squad game and I’d love SF back in our squad.

Irish_Steve
24-06-2020, 09:14 PM
Has he learned to use his right foot yet?

jacomo
24-06-2020, 09:16 PM

Yeah he stands, walks and runs on it just fine.

Sammy7nil
24-06-2020, 09:27 PM
Why so bitter?

Bitter and wrong, it was a Lamborghini.

His record at Sunderland in a piss poor side with him having bad injury issues is actually a goal every 3.5 games (90 minutes that is). Not great sure but not actually that bad.

Very good record over 2 years for Wolves. He actually had 4 very good seasons in the premier league which is enough to earn you a good wage for the rest of your life.

Not bitter at all just making conversation as I said I really like Steven and he has done great for himself he should be applauded. I simply think for the fee and wages spent on him his record in England is disappointing. Doesn't make him a bad player or a bad guy it is just my opinion. Sorry if I have upset you. And of course you were correct it was an even more expensive Lamborghini :thumbsup:

hibbysam
24-06-2020, 09:33 PM
Not bitter at all just making conversation as I said I really like Steven and he has done great for himself he should be applauded. I simply think for the fee and wages spent on him his record in England is disappointing. Doesn't make him a bad player or a bad guy it is just my opinion. Sorry if I have upset you. And of course you were correct it was an even more expensive Lamborghini :thumbsup:

Just curious as to what you are expecting from him? Are you weighing up the issues he has had? He played, in three spells, for one of the worst sides in the league (Burnley, wolves and Sunderland), chances are at a premium, teams getting pumped week in week out, he still managed to hit double figures and averaged a goal every 3/4 games I’m sure.

He’s since went to Wednesday and is massively influential, he has also been a top servant for Scotland and scored plenty goals.

Sammy7nil
24-06-2020, 09:47 PM
Just curious as to what you are expecting from him? Are you weighing up the issues he has had? He played, in three spells, for one of the worst sides in the league (Burnley, wolves and Sunderland), chances are at a premium, teams getting pumped week in week out, he still managed to hit double figures and averaged a goal every 3/4 games I’m sure.

He’s since went to Wednesday and is massively influential, he has also been a top servant for Scotland and scored plenty goals.

Not expecting anything I simply don't think his record is good. We are allowed to disagree?

He was relegated with every EPL team he played for maybe twice in the same season? So it is clear he and his teammates did not achieve what their clubs had hoped for.

I will say it for a third time I like Steven i think he has done really well for himself he is very good player but just did not quite deliver enough at the highest level. Has done okay in the Championship without setting the heather alight.

ColintonHibs
25-06-2020, 05:14 AM
Would much rather hibs players pulling up in Aventadors than BMW's :flag:

scotiaf
25-06-2020, 05:53 AM
He’s had a good career, paid well.

I would guess there is 0 chance of us signing him, even if we were at our best financially and offered 6k and a 100k signing on fee. He could get that in 2-3 months wages down there.

Barney McGrew
25-06-2020, 07:04 AM

:agree:

He’s averaged a goal every three and a bit games across his career that’s spanned spells in the SPL, EPL, English Championship and Ligue 1 as well as ten goals in 33 Scotland caps. And a lot of that playing for ‘unfashionable‘ teams where his chances would be limited.

He‘s hit double figures in 11 seasons he’s been a pro. The only seasons he didn’t were when he was at Sunderland, and that’s been an absolute basket case of a club for donkeys. If that’s a poor return, I’d take a striker with that poor return at ER every day of the week, and that’s before you take into account his wider influence on the team through work ethic etc.

I actually think he might end up at Celtic, he’s still good mates with Scott Brown and they need another good striker. He’d easily score 20 with them.

hibbysam
25-06-2020, 07:05 AM
Not expecting anything I simply don't think his record is good. We are allowed to disagree?

He was relegated with every EPL team he played for maybe twice in the same season? So it is clear he and his teammates did not achieve what their clubs had hoped for.

I will say it for a third time I like Steven i think he has done really well for himself he is very good player but just did not quite deliver enough at the highest level. Has done okay in the Championship without setting the heather alight.

You are allowed to disagree, of course, however saying he didn’t deliver enough at the highest level is nonsense, plain and simple.

His spells at Burnley and Wolves were outstanding, hence his big money moves. He had an injury hit time at Sunderland, and is now scoring loads in the championship. Bearing in mind that his game isn’t all about goals and never has been, then his return along with the rest of his game is very good.

hibsbollah
25-06-2020, 07:09 AM

It’s a good point, they are similar but I’d say the similarity is more in their running style than in the positions they play. Doidge is maybe more like Colin Nish in the role he plays, and Fletcher did well next to him.

jacomo
25-06-2020, 07:55 AM

I hear what you are saying but he’s had a very good career and would surely would do great back here, in the highly unlikely event we can sign him.

oldbutdim
25-06-2020, 08:12 AM
I kinda went off him when he filmed himself gobbing on the back of a rickshaw driver ‘for a laugh’.
Pretty ****my behaviour.

EI255
25-06-2020, 08:18 AM
Way way out our wage bracketDepends where his mind is at.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

EI255
25-06-2020, 08:20 AM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3007431/Sunderland-s-form-Steven-Fletcher-poses-new-260-000-Lamborghini-sparking-anger-fans.htmlNice Italian car. What's the problem?

Sammy7nil
25-06-2020, 08:32 AM
Nice Italian car. What's the problem?

No problem great car

I hear what you are saying but he’s had a very good career and would surely would do great back here, in the highly unlikely event we can sign him.

He would be fantastic in any Scottish team

You are allowed to disagree, of course, however saying he didn’t deliver enough at the highest level is nonsense, plain and simple.

His spells at Burnley and Wolves were outstanding, hence his big money moves. He had an injury hit time at Sunderland, and is now scoring loads in the championship. Bearing in mind that his game isn’t all about goals and never has been, then his return along with the rest of his game is very good.

We will just agree to disagree.

As I say not looking for an argument this may develop in to do I will leave it there.

G B Young
25-06-2020, 09:08 AM

That was a major source of frustration when he was at ER, the way he would make things harder for himself by trying to switch the ball to his left before shooting. I've not seen him play for years but I'd hope he's improved that aspect of his game by now, although having just had a look at his career goals tally it's not actually that great for a striker so perhaps his reliance on his left has contributed to that.

I liked him a lot at ER (he and Benji were wonderful in the 2007 LC final), but while he's obviously gone on to play at a good level and earned a lot from his career I thought he had the potential to do even better.

bigwheel
25-06-2020, 09:09 AM
I could see Fletcher ending up as a squad player at a Celtic for a couple of years ...would be good for anyone up here ...

MWHIBBIES
25-06-2020, 09:16 AM
In his first 4 years in the premier league he scored 41 goals. That was in 124 appearences.

Compares very well to some other target men or guys who do a lot of running and work for the team, especially when you think about the poor players he had around him.

Drogba got 50 in his first 4 years. 110 appearences.

Firmino got 48 in 137.

Adebayor got 46 in 104

Giroud got 57 in 135

Obviously those are pretty meaningless comparisons but just a small sample size. Those guys are top/were top players playing with guys like Lampard, Salah, Fabregas, Ozil, Robben.

Fletcher was a very good player down there for 4 years. If he had moved to a decent size like Everton or Southampton instead of Sunderland he would've continued that for longer.

chrisski33
25-06-2020, 09:55 AM
Im not sure he would move back up here. Didnt his mum move to County Durham with new partner plus im sure his child will be at school in England.
I doubt Hibs can afford his wages anyway at this time

Jones28
25-06-2020, 10:36 AM
Not a snowballs chance in hell will fletcher re-sign for us.