PDA

View Full Version : NHC Paul Heckingbottom .....

Jim44
23-06-2020, 04:41 PM
..... set to join Sheffield United as under 23 coach. Not a bad move for him.

Sammy7nil
23-06-2020, 04:42 PM
Wish him all the best

Since452
23-06-2020, 04:48 PM
Good luck. No hard feelings from me.

23-06-2020, 04:49 PM
Calderwood in disguise

jacomo
23-06-2020, 04:50 PM
Calderwood in disguise

Someone had to ruin it, so well done I suppose.

JohnMcM
23-06-2020, 04:52 PM
Good luck to him.

23-06-2020, 04:53 PM
Someone had to ruin it, so well done I suppose.

I was just pointing out the parallels between him and calderwood. Both crap managers but seem to be good coaches.

Sir David Gray
23-06-2020, 04:59 PM
Hopefully a more suitable role for him than being a first team coach/manager was.

Pretty Boy
23-06-2020, 05:09 PM
It didn't work out for him as manager but I've got a lot of time for PH.

When the heat was really on him there was a hibs.net visit to EM and he came and spoke for a decent amount of time and took questions. It's unlikely to be the worst grilling he will face but he didn't have to face up to that. He also sent a message to the Hanlon Stevenson Foundation for their first anniversary, again he didn't have to do that.

Hopefully things work out for him.

HendoDelivered
23-06-2020, 05:10 PM
All the best PH!

Billy Whizz
23-06-2020, 05:10 PM
It didn't work out for him as manager but I've got a lot of time for PH.

When the heat was really on him there was a hibs.net visit to EM and he came and spoke for a decent amount of time and took questions. It's unlikely to be the worst grilling he will face but he didn't have to face up to that. He also sent a message to the Hanlon Stevenson Foundation for their first anniversary, again he didn't have to do that.

Hopefully things work out for him.

He was well liked at Hibs, and seemingly was a great coach
This job might just suit him

Vault Boy
23-06-2020, 05:18 PM
Along with Robbie, seemed like a thoroughly decent guy and well respected within the club, just didn't work out. Hope things go well for him in his next role.

Green Manalishi
23-06-2020, 05:20 PM
When Calderwood came up here i got the impression he always had one eye on the exit door while I never felt that with Hecky. I think he was prepared to have a genuine go at it but his moves in the transfer market and the players he let go was shambolic.

Keith_M
23-06-2020, 05:28 PM
When Calderwood came up here i got the impression he always had one eye on the exit door while I never felt that with Hecky. I think he was prepared to have a genuine go at it but his moves in the transfer market and the players he let go was shambolic.

Worst of all was how he set out his team to play. He didn't seem very keen on playing with any kind of flair and seemed to stress the more 'cynical' side of things (telling players to dive when tackled).

I don't bear any ill will to the guy but his approach to football is not something I want to see at Hibs.

Since452
23-06-2020, 05:32 PM
Salvaged top six from an improbable position. Signed the right players in my opinion but just didn't click. It happens. I liked the bloke. A world away from Calderwood for me.

Brightside
23-06-2020, 05:36 PM
Excellent coach and i liked him a lot. Hope he does very well.

Green Manalishi
23-06-2020, 05:43 PM
Salvaged top six from an improbable position. Signed the right players in my opinion but just didn't click. It happens. I liked the bloke. A world away from Calderwood for me. The killer for him was getting rid of Marv and Milligan and not replacing them. The side never recovered from that

Hibiza
23-06-2020, 05:46 PM
All the best Paul.

Since452
23-06-2020, 05:56 PM
The killer for him was getting rid of Marv and Milligan and not replacing them. The side never recovered from that

Can't argue with that. Especially Milligan. Rated him. Think he was on a big wage though. To be fair I'm sure Marv wanted away.

Bronson
23-06-2020, 05:59 PM
Suited to a coaching role as opposed to being a manager I think. Players liked him by all accounts and all speak highly of his coaching. I recall marv saying recently he learned more from heck than any other manager he’s had even though he barely played under him.

Good luck to the guy, hope it works out for him.

tamig
23-06-2020, 06:22 PM
I was just pointing out the parallels between him and calderwood. Both crap managers but seem to be good coaches.

One major difference between the two is that one of them didn’t disrespect our club.

Pagan Hibernia
23-06-2020, 06:28 PM
Worst of all was how he set out his team to play. He didn't seem very keen on playing with any kind of flair and seemed to stress the more 'cynical' side of things (telling players to dive when tackled).

I don't bear any ill will to the guy but his approach to football is not something I want to see at Hibs.

Yeah. I remember after a defeat he described us as 'pretty but soft'

Soft maybe, but it was anything but pretty.

Lago
23-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Excellent coach and i liked him a lot. Hope he does very well.
Well said. 👍

GRA
23-06-2020, 07:19 PM
The killer for him was getting rid of Marv and Milligan and not replacing them. The side never recovered from that

Complete agree. Replaced then with Josh Vela.... 🙈 lost so many soft goals at the start of the season. That and a combination of Doidge short on confidence was never going to be successful.

Sir David Gray
23-06-2020, 07:29 PM
One major difference between the two is that one of them didn’t disrespect our club.

Perhaps not the club itself but he clearly disrespected and underestimated our league with his “Quality-wise it’s on a par with League One in England — lower half,” comment.

One of the worst few months of football on show during his time in charge, horrific stuff.

overdrive
23-06-2020, 08:30 PM
No Hibs manager should be compared to Calderwood, not even Butcher. The man disrespected us in the extreme.

tamig
23-06-2020, 08:51 PM
Perhaps not the club itself but he clearly disrespected and underestimated our league with his “Quality-wise it’s on a par with League One in England — lower half,” comment.

One of the worst few months of football on show during his time in charge, horrific stuff.
What about his outrageous bag of sweets comment after the pre-season game at Berwick? That was disrespectful.

Sir David Gray
23-06-2020, 09:27 PM
What about his outrageous bag of sweets comment after the pre-season game at Berwick? That was disrespectful.

I never said it wasn't.

Northernhibee
23-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Wish him well. Had a decent conversation with him last year and he only had good things to say about us and is a genuinely nice, knowledgeable guy.

tamig
23-06-2020, 09:55 PM
I never said it wasn't.

Sorry you’ve lost me. You said perhaps not the club itself. The sweetie comment disrespected the club.

Sir David Gray
23-06-2020, 10:08 PM
Sorry you’ve lost me. You said perhaps not the club itself. The sweetie comment disrespected the club.

You originally stated that the one difference between Calderwood and Heckingbottom is that one of them (i.e. Heckingbottom) didn't disrespect the club.

My original reply to you was that maybe he (Heckingbottom) didn't disrespect the club but he (Heckingbottom) did disrespect/underestimate the Scottish league by comparing the standard of our Premiership with the lower half of League One.

I never made any comment about Calderwood.

LancashireHibby
23-06-2020, 10:41 PM
..... set to join Sheffield United as under 23 coach. Not a bad move for him.

A relief to read this as the talk in the last 24 hours was that he was in the running for the Bolton job which obviously I’d rather avoid!

Brightside
24-06-2020, 07:15 AM

Revisionism. Marv hardly played and Milligan was like a cart horse. Spike has now retired. As soon as players leave they become Messi in some peoples eyes. The biggest issues for him was recovering the team from the lose of SJM and Dylan. No one has fixed that yet.

Green Manalishi
24-06-2020, 07:29 AM
Revisionism. Marv hardly played and Milligan was like a cart horse. Spike has now retired. As soon as players leave they become Messi in some peoples eyes. The biggest issues for him was recovering the team from the lose of SJM and Dylan. No one has fixed that yet.It was more the case that he got rid of two defensive midfielders and never replaced either of them. He was never going to replace SJM or Dylan but it would not have been hard to go out and find a ball winner to sit in front of the back four.

Sir David Gray
24-06-2020, 07:30 AM
Revisionism. Marv hardly played and Milligan was like a cart horse. Spike has now retired. As soon as players leave they become Messi in some peoples eyes. The biggest issues for him was recovering the team from the lose of SJM and Dylan. No one has fixed that yet.

You don't think that the departure of two defensive midfielders and trying to replace them with Josh Vela was a pretty big issue for him?

Caversham Green
24-06-2020, 07:39 AM
It was more the case that he got rid of two defensive midfielders and never replaced either of them. He was never going to replace SJM or Dylan but it would not have been hard to go out and find a ball winner to sit in front of the back four.

The thing is, Josh Vela was the replacement for them. He came with a good reputation and I saw him run the game from the DM position down here - made the winner with a cracking pass as well IIRC. If he had retained that form at ER he would have become a fans favourite but it just didn't work out. At the time he signed Vela looked like a very good addition to the squad.

Brightside
24-06-2020, 08:16 AM
You don't think that the departure of two defensive midfielders and trying to replace them with Josh Vela was a pretty big issue for him?

Josh Vela was highly rated. We tried to sign him under Lennon. Everyone blames Hecky for that signing. It didnt work out. That happens with players all the time. Our midfield hasnt been poor just because of that one position. We simply dont have anyone tackling and tracking in midfield now. Thats not just the role of a DM. It also hasnt improved under Jack.

Forza Fred
24-06-2020, 08:18 AM
He did his best, and we can not ask anymore of anybody.

Things didn’t work out and he was, rightly, moved on. That’s a manager’s lot.

Wish him nothing but the best and hope he is successful.

Forza Fred
24-06-2020, 08:22 AM

Milligan had two nightmare games..one against Kilmarnovk and the other against Celtic.

Fitba throws up differing opinions.

I thought he played solidly other than those two games.

Sir David Gray
24-06-2020, 08:28 AM
Josh Vela was highly rated. We tried to sign him under Lennon. Everyone blames Hecky for that signing. It didnt work out. That happens with players all the time. Our midfield hasnt been poor just because of that one position. We simply dont have anyone tackling and tracking in midfield now. Thats not just the role of a DM. It also hasnt improved under Jack.

You're right it's not the only reason, he also decided to play Joe Newell (now one of our regular first team players) in a position he clearly wasn't suitable for and persisted with this numerous times. He also failed to get anything like the best out of Christian Doidge, who has gone from being widely mocked to being one of our most prized assets since his departure.

I'm not saying all of the problems we saw under Heckingbottom have suddenly gone away, one look at the highlights of the most recent derby will tell you that. However it cannot be denied that we have improved quite significantly under Jack Ross.

we are hibs
24-06-2020, 08:29 AM

I 100% agree with you on Milligan. Bartley wouldve probably played in certain games under Ross (tannadice and replay, the home derby) and made a difference in midfield though imo.

Since452
24-06-2020, 08:51 AM
Marv asked to leave the club not the other way round

easty
24-06-2020, 08:53 AM
Marv asked to leave the club not the other way round

He was out of contract, he didn't have to ask to leave.

Since452
24-06-2020, 08:56 AM
He was out of contract, he didn't have to ask to leave.

He could have signed another contact but chose to sign one at Livingston. Nothing to do with Hecky. His mind was made up.

MWHIBBIES
24-06-2020, 08:57 AM
It was more the case that he got rid of two defensive midfielders and never replaced either of them. He was never going to replace SJM or Dylan but it would not have been hard to go out and find a ball winner to sit in front of the back four.

He could've replaced Dylan with Dylan. Instead he got Vela.

Green Manalishi
24-06-2020, 09:23 AM
He could've replaced Dylan with Dylan. Instead he got Vela. That would have been ideal but considering we couldnt temp Dylan back under Jack Ross i doubt he would have returned under Hecky

Brightside
24-06-2020, 09:34 AM
He could've replaced Dylan with Dylan. Instead he got Vela.

The club wanted Vela. Its wrong that many people think he was a Hecky signing. We actively made moves for him under Lennon.

Brightside
24-06-2020, 09:37 AM
You're right it's not the only reason, he also decided to play Joe Newell (now one of our regular first team players) in a position he clearly wasn't suitable for and persisted with this numerous times. He also failed to get anything like the best out of Christian Doidge, who has gone from being widely mocked to being one of our most prized assets since his departure.

I'm not saying all of the problems we saw under Heckingbottom have suddenly gone away, one look at the highlights of the most recent derby will tell you that. However it cannot be denied that we have improved quite significantly under Jack Ross.

Nothing much has changed about Doidge.... he just sticking away the chances now.... even if they are mis-hits, off his shin, his knee, a misplaced header.....now they are all going in. That just happens with strikers sometimes. Very little has changed about his game and movement under Jack. He also played Joe Newell were he had been playing down south. Hecky will continue to do well in football - I'm sure of that. Him and Jack are very similar in their football philosophy. (and remember Jack just used Eddie Mays set up in his first run of winning games) :wink:

Green Manalishi
24-06-2020, 09:51 AM
The alarm bells started ringing for me when we played Stirling away in the league cup at the start of last season. We were soft as ***** and part timers were running right over the top of the midfield. I thought then that Hecky would have added a tough tackling anchor man to the squad to supplement what Vela was supposed to be but he never did. Then to rub the salt in Marv was turning in man of the match performances for Livi every week

Peevemor
24-06-2020, 09:56 AM
I like him and wish him all the best.

However, under him I think our players were over coached and seemed to be shackled by sticking to very specific instructions.

Giving players a bit of freedom might show up errors at times but can change a game for the better at others. And it's a lot less boring to watch.

Keyser Sauzee
24-06-2020, 02:30 PM
He could have signed another contact but chose to sign one at Livingston. Nothing to do with Hecky. His mind was made up.

That’s not the same thing as asking to leave tho

WhileTheChief..
24-06-2020, 03:29 PM
He’s found his level. He never wanted to be a manager in the first place.

jacomo
24-06-2020, 04:27 PM

Everything to do with Hecky. If Marv felt he was going to get opportunities to play this season just gone, and been offered a decent contract, he would have stayed.

Since452
24-06-2020, 04:40 PM
That’s not the same thing as asking to leave tho

He wanted to leave. Was more a figure of speech