PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Ron Gordon

matty_f
22-06-2020, 02:06 PM
From the club:

https://twitter.com/hibernianfc/status/1275065470312316928?s=21

Heisenberg
22-06-2020, 02:08 PM
Still looking to sign players even though we’re discussing cuts with our current squad. Suppose it’s in line with what Aberdeen have done but that may not go down overly well.

GonzoReturns
22-06-2020, 02:09 PM
But but but we are going bust!!

Stuart93
22-06-2020, 02:09 PM
Still looking to sign players even though we’re discussing cuts with our current squad. Suppose it’s in line with what Aberdeen have done but that may not go down overly well.

By the sounds of it, it’ll be made clear to the players that new faces are very much a possibility despite cuts

davhibby
22-06-2020, 02:11 PM

It’s the only way that clubs of our size can possibly do it.

.Sean.
22-06-2020, 02:13 PM
But I thought we were going into admin? 😂😂😂

Vault Boy
22-06-2020, 02:16 PM
Good interview, another part being uploaded later too. Hopefully settles some of the nerves.

SteveHFC
Good interview.

JimBHibees
Seems like a lot of common sense there imo.

Blaster
22-06-2020, 02:18 PM
Wonder how the media will put a negative spin on this

Vault Boy
22-06-2020, 02:20 PM
Wonder how the media will put a negative spin on this

'Cost cutting Hibs take vicious swipe at fans by releasing only HALF of owner's interview. Sources say second half is cut as cost saving measure.'

Stuart93
22-06-2020, 02:22 PM
Our finances are in a very good position says Ron. That can’t be true, the daily record told us we were cash strapped. JKB were positive we were in admin

07BigD
22-06-2020, 02:22 PM
Still looking to sign players even though we’re discussing cuts with our current squad. Suppose it’s in line with what Aberdeen have done but that may not go down overly well.As painful as it may be for players to accept a wage cut it's better than being cut adrift and having to find a new club under the current circumstances.

There are a that would have no difficulty finding a deal elsewhere but I'd hope they would opt to stay.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
22-06-2020, 02:24 PM
Good message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacomo
22-06-2020, 02:27 PM
He’s good at not giving much away, our Ron, but doing it in a way that is reassuring.

GonzoReturns
22-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Have said it before but players and agents need to watch remember this squad managed to get us to 7th!!!! 🤔🤔🤔🤔

RossScott1991
22-06-2020, 02:31 PM
Good reassuring interview.

Diclonius
22-06-2020, 02:31 PM
'Cost cutting Hibs take vicious swipe at fans by releasing only HALF of owner's interview. Sources say second half is cut as cost saving measure.'

Hahah, very good.

I'll admit that I have taken swipes at our club's transfer strategy before, but this is reassuring and I think by the season's start we should have kept up with our rivals.

04Sauzee
22-06-2020, 02:34 PM
I think its a fantastic interview, Ron speaks very well and I feel confident in the way our club is being run

DaveF
22-06-2020, 02:42 PM
Nothing too revealing in that. Rightsize the business to face the crisis, stay competitive as best we can and so on.

Good to hear from RG though. Look forward to part II.

Tug Wilson
22-06-2020, 02:44 PM
I think its a fantastic interview, Ron speaks very well and I feel confident in the way our club is being run

In total agreement.

We tend to be a club that quietly goes about its business in a prudent and sensible manner.

Shout when we have something to shout about.

The message was simply, we have to cut costs and we have to improve the team.

The other part I took from the interview was that we are looking to be in a position to react quickly when life returns to normal. Ron is a businessman and he will recognise the opportunity that a downturn often presents. Make the right plans and the club could be in a position to come out of the pandemic with a bright future.

matty_f
22-06-2020, 02:48 PM
In total agreement.

We tend to be a club that quietly goes about its business in a prudent and sensible manner.

Shout when we have something to shout about.

The message was simply, we have to cut costs and we have to improve the team.

The other part I took from the interview was that we are looking to be in a position to react quickly when life returns to normal. Ron is a businessman and he will recognise the opportunity that a downturn often presents. Make the right plans and the club could be in a position to come out of the pandemic with a bright future.

I'd suggested on another thread (can't remember which) that the prudent thing to do just now would be to ride out the storm by cutting back rather than spending loads of money propping up the club just to stand still, so that when calmer times come we're in a position to quickly scale up and use the money that would have been taken on propping us up, to push on instead.

Looks like that's the approach we're taking.

Andy74
22-06-2020, 03:00 PM
If the Big Screen isn’t started by Christmas I won’t be back.

Lago
22-06-2020, 03:00 PM
Excellent

Tug Wilson
22-06-2020, 03:11 PM
I'd suggested on another thread (can't remember which) that the prudent thing to do just now would be to ride out the storm by cutting back rather than spending loads of money propping up the club just to stand still, so that when calmer times come we're in a position to quickly scale up and use the money that would have been taken on propping us up, to push on instead.

Looks like that's the approach we're taking.

Agreed. Proper businessman like Ron Gordon looking at the long game and not just the short term.

Gerard
22-06-2020, 03:15 PM
I agree with what RJG said .I await the second part to see if there are more details given by RJG in Hibs' football development journey
G

bigwheel
22-06-2020, 03:15 PM
Thought it was a helpful update ..

Understand the approach of cutting back to focus only on the first team for now ..harsh for other elements, yet understandable...

Secondly, good to hear that they intend to look at ways of improving the first team in a revised cost model ..still got some aspirations..

WhileTheChief..
22-06-2020, 03:20 PM
I like the way he comes across, very impressive in a calm and measured way.

He should do an interview on Sportsound :wink:

Bristolhibby
22-06-2020, 03:22 PM

I’m awaiting to buy a season ticket in the filled in corners.

J

Fergos
22-06-2020, 03:25 PM

Its posts like this that make Hibs net what it is. :not worth

GGTTH

PS....I won’t be either...

Jim44
What exactly is our position in terms of bringing in new players, either on loan or purchase, because the situation when we did the deferred payment arrangements, it seemed that new players were out of the question till wages had been settled. Now that we’ve included reduced wages into the equasion, how does that impact the situation?

Leitherhibs

They don’t invite our kind on that show.

CropleyWasGod
22-06-2020, 03:28 PM
I'm a bit concerned about how many times he used the word "navigate".

Ships, submarines and all that.

matty_f
22-06-2020, 03:28 PM
What exactly is our position in terms of bringing in new players, either on loan or purchase, because the situation when we did the deferred payment arrangements, it seemed that new players were out of the question till wages had been settled. Now that we’ve included reduced wages into the equasion, how does that impact the situation?

I would think that trumps the previous agreement.

As it was - no new signings until the players' deferral period had finished (i.e they were back at 100% of their salary), which I believe is this month.

New negotiations have been entered into, so I would expect the clubs' conversation with the players to set out:

- financial situation as it is today and how it looks going forward

- what's being prioritised (first team)

- impact on wider staff

- need for cuts

- need to recruit

- gain agreement from everyone to move forward.

I don't think players are blind to what's happening, and I also think they'll all recognise the need to improve the team, so I don't think we'll see either side take liberties here.

Unseen work
22-06-2020, 03:33 PM
If the club see the opportunity to bring a player in that will enhance the team they will take it.

This means a couple of thing

#announceNisbet
#announceGogic
#announceBarker
#annouceDocherty
#announceR10rdan

:greengrin

Jim44
22-06-2020, 03:33 PM
I would think that trumps the previous agreement.

As it was - no new signings until the players' deferral period had finished (i.e they were back at 100% of their salary), which I believe is this month.

New negotiations have been entered into, so I would expect the clubs' conversation with the players to set out:

- financial situation as it is today and how it looks going forward

- what's being prioritised (first team)

- impact on wider staff

- need for cuts

- need to recruit

- gain agreement from everyone to move forward.

I don't think players are blind to what's happening, and I also think they'll all recognise the need to improve the team, so I don't think we'll see either side take liberties here.

Well, if you’re correct, Matty, and I’ve no reason to doubt you, our situation is less bleak than it was painted last week. :hibees

Unseen work
22-06-2020, 03:34 PM
I think our players need to be very careful in terms of rejecting any temporary curs

Very few of them could go to another club and get a better contract than they’re on here imo.

22-06-2020, 03:36 PM

Sportsound is only for squealers. 🐷

Ozyhibby
22-06-2020, 03:39 PM
I think our players need to be very careful in terms of rejecting any temporary curs

Very few of them could go to another club and get a better contract than they’re on here imo.

As with the Hearts players, they can sit tight if they want to although they could be frozen out by the club. So long as the club are being reasonable then they should probably take them. I think they will.

matty_f
22-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Part two is up now.

- anything not core to the first team on pause

- Academy on hold but still developing players from a distance

- when we come out of covid, club will be in a good position to accelerate out of it

- can't say enough about the support, 8700 season tickets. RG proud to be part of it. Fans have more than stepped up when needed

- Looking to upgrade and improve Hibs TV production (looking at resource needed for that) for matches and creating content for fans

- can't thank season ticket holders enough, buying season tickets and HSL are very helpful, as is supporting Thank You NHS initiative. Very encouraged by the response so far

- a lot to look forward to, club in reasonable shape under the circumstances, will be able to build very quickly after this.

Coco Bryce
22-06-2020, 03:44 PM
Part 2 up now.

04Sauzee
22-06-2020, 03:50 PM
Part two is up now.

- when we come out of covid, club will be in a good position to accelerate out of it

- can't say enough about the support, 8700 season tickets. RG proud to be part of it. Fans have more than stepped up when needed

- Looking to upgrade and improve Hibs TV production (looking at resource needed for that) for matches and creating content for fans

- can't thank season ticket holders enough, buying season tickets and HSL are very helpful, as is supporting Thank You NHS initiative. Very encouraged by the response so far

- a lot to look forward to, club in reasonable shape under the circumstances, will be able to build very quickly after this.
Great summary, and still plenty to be excited about
Looks like we are doing all the right things so we will be in a good place to move forward in the future

Brightside
22-06-2020, 03:51 PM
Second part doesnt really add anything tbh. Main story. Nothing is stopped or removed for now. Many things are just on hold until we get back to playing football.

Jim44
22-06-2020, 03:54 PM
Second part doesnt really add anything tbh. Main story. Nothing is stopped or removed for now. Many things are just on hold until we get back to playing football.

I’d, frankly, settle for that.:dunno:

Lendo
22-06-2020, 04:00 PM
Part two is up now.

Ron owns TV stations/channels doesn't he? This should be his bread and butter.

Power
22-06-2020, 04:02 PM
✅ Good financial shape - managing the storm
✅ Supporters, staff and players stepped up
✅ Right sizing to current reality
✅ AGM vision still in plan but paused
✅ Football nearly back
✅ Competing and team improvements - we’ll take opportunities

————

✅ First team core focus (Pausing everything else because no activity)
✅ Move forward quickly when normality resumes
✅ Difficult times highlighting our worth
✅ Everyone making a difference - one team, one club
✅ Proud to own our club, phenomenal fans that continue to build a legacy
✅ Upgrade & improve Hibs TV for changes coming now & in future

Or how Matty excellently summarised ✅

18Craig75
22-06-2020, 04:09 PM
Pretty much what any fair minded fan thought was going on. Really hope the players step up again and come to an agreement quickly and quietly on a wage cut, whilst I have sympathy for them in that they signed a contract in good faith; things have changed immeasurably and we need them to do their bit.

Would’ve possibly liked to have heard his opinion on the league and some of the going ons - however there’s probably nothing to gain now and a dignified silence is the correct approach.

Lee Marvin
22-06-2020, 04:10 PM
Part two is up now.

I wonder what 'developing players at a distance' actually means??

Lago
22-06-2020, 04:11 PM
More than happy with what he said no doubt there will be some who will pick holes in it just for the sake of it.

Bostonhibby
22-06-2020, 04:14 PM
If the Big Screen isn’t started by Christmas I won’t be back.If it gets in the way of the helipad I'll happily take an axe to it and do time for it[emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

matty_f
22-06-2020, 04:16 PM

Doing it far away.

Brightside
22-06-2020, 04:17 PM

They get zoom sessions etc. All the teams have been getting zoom sessions for a while.

TelaStella
22-06-2020, 04:21 PM
Part 2.

https://youtu.be/JPYTDC2Mzmw

Lee Marvin
22-06-2020, 04:25 PM
They get zoom sessions etc. All the teams have been getting zoom sessions for a while.

Matty alluded to this being in respect of the academy. I know the first team have been doing this but what does it mean for our academy players? This is what I'm trying to understand

matty_f
22-06-2020, 04:27 PM
Matty alluded to this being in respect of the academy. I know the first team have been doing this but what does it mean for our academy players? This is what I'm trying to understand

It'll be much as Underscore described - Zoom contact with coaches, online sessions to participate in, using other online resources to help develop (would think they'd look at technical and tactical information as well as getting exercises and ballwork to complete on their own)

Glory Lurker
22-06-2020, 04:30 PM
Doing it far away.

Nope. Those players are small.

matty_f
22-06-2020, 04:33 PM
Nope. Those players are small.

:greengrin

jacomo
22-06-2020, 04:36 PM
Not sure if I missed it, but I didn’t hear Ron brag even once about how other club chairmen look up to him and ring him for advice etc.

Peevemor
22-06-2020, 04:43 PM
I like listening to Ron. I like listening to Leeann & Jack Ross too.

They're intelligent, speak well and, most importantly, they come across as being very sincere.

We could be far worse off.

1 8 7 5
22-06-2020, 04:49 PM
Solid, honest interview.

Well done all round.:aok:

Brightside
22-06-2020, 04:50 PM

Academy players get them too.

Ozyhibby
22-06-2020, 05:16 PM
Academy players get them too.

Yip, they will just be fitness sessions with a physical trainer. Most community clubs are doing them as well.

Kojock
22-06-2020, 05:22 PM
✅ Good financial shape - managing the storm
✅ Supporters, staff and players stepped up
✅ Right sizing to current reality
✅ AGM vision still in plan but paused
✅ Football nearly back
✅ Competing and team improvements - we’ll take opportunities

————

✅ First team core focus (Pausing everything else because no activity)
✅ Move forward quickly when normality resumes
✅ Difficult times highlighting our worth
✅ Everyone making a difference - one team, one club
✅ Proud to own our club, phenomenal fans that continue to build a legacy
✅ Upgrade & improve Hibs TV for changes coming now & in future

Or how Matty excellently summarised ✅

Thanks for that and putting my mind at ease. I’ve not been able to sleep since I read on a bloodied turd coloured website that Ron The Con was taking us into administration to asset strip us and head back over the pond with suitcases full of money. 😂

Jim44
22-06-2020, 05:25 PM
Not sure if I missed it, but I didn’t hear Ron brag even once about how other club chairmen look up to him and ring him for advice etc.

Yes, you missed it. It was round about the part when he was talking about his debt of gratitude to Ann Budge for being on the end of the telephone whenever he wanted advice. :greengrin

Since452
22-06-2020, 05:28 PM
Feel reassured after that. Good stuff.

thegaffer12
22-06-2020, 05:40 PM
Over 8,700 season tickets sold too. Hopefully we can break through 9k before the end of June!

ancient hibee
22-06-2020, 05:42 PM
I’m sorry but this is a very poor statement.Not one dig at another club far less any threat to sue everyone. Come on Ron,get with the programme.

Hibee Mac
22-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Great interview, he always speaks very well. That has me more reassured now that we're on the right track.

I should know better than to believe a word that any journalist spouts in the papers.

The 90+2
22-06-2020, 05:51 PM
He’s got a ****in brilliant accent. Should be actually on the telly.

Unseen work
22-06-2020, 05:59 PM
I might be in the minority on this but I like how little he gives away, too often you hear owners come out with ridiculous expectations of what they do and fail miserably and it sounds like they’ve rehearsed it all night.

With Ron I get the impression he just speaks naturally and it’s not rehearsed, the chat there with him is the same if you caught him off guard at a game.

Seems a very humble sensible man

King Cosell
22-06-2020, 06:02 PM
Hopefully we'll all be back at Easter Road in January or before, but the club/all clubs will have to budget for a whole season behind closed doors. With clubs cutting their cloth, there'll be a lot of players available over the next couple of months and I'm confident we'll get some good 'uns.

Peevemor
22-06-2020, 06:02 PM
He’s got a ****in brilliant accent. Should be actually on the telly.It'd better if he spoke like Jesse from Breaking Bad. That would be a hoot!

Keith_M
22-06-2020, 06:22 PM

Traditionally our younger players have been quite small, but now they're just far away.

jacomo
22-06-2020, 06:36 PM
Yes, you missed it. It was round about the part when he was talking about his debt of gratitude to Ann Budge for being on the end of the telephone whenever he wanted advice. :greengrin

Makes sense.

No doubt the near proximity of the Sage of Midlothian is what gave him the idea to invest in Hibs in the first place.

PatHead
22-06-2020, 06:41 PM
Thanks for that and putting my mind at ease. I’ve not been able to sleep since I read on a bloodied turd coloured website that Ron The Con was taking us into administration to asset strip us and head back over the pond with suitcases full of money. 😂

Probably just forgot to mention that. 😁

Weegreenman
22-06-2020, 07:08 PM
I think he’s been honest and up front from the very start. Comes across as a nice guy but vert shroud. I don’t expect him to spend millions of his own cash or pay over the odds wages. All I want is for him to do his very best to bring us success without putting the future of the club jeopardy.

mim
22-06-2020, 07:59 PM
I’m sorry but this is a very poor statement. Not one dig at another club far less any threat to sue everyone. Come on Ron, get with the programme.

:faf::greengrin:faf:

weecounty hibby
22-06-2020, 08:14 PM
I can't believe Kenny didn't ask if Ron had sought out Bodges advice on how to run a football club!!
Good interview and no sugar coating anything and no bull**** promises or grandstanding to please the media or fans

Jim44
22-06-2020, 08:26 PM
I like how he gets his points across and I think that with him and Jack Ross, another articulate guy, our club is in safe hands. LD’s no bad either, but we’ve known that all along.

hibeejeebies
22-06-2020, 09:13 PM
I can't believe Kenny didn't ask if Ron had sought out Bodges advice on how to run a football club!!

I've maybe missed this, please tell me she never came out with that? 😂🙈

jacomo
22-06-2020, 09:21 PM
I've maybe missed this, please tell me she never came out with that? 😂🙈

Yup she did. She does this repeatedly.

Ryan91
22-06-2020, 09:25 PM
Ron owns TV stations/channels doesn't he? This should be his bread and butter.

Developing an online streaming service is very different from broadcast TV

Cat Stanton
22-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Traditionally our younger players have been quite small, but now they're just far away.

Very good...

Northernhibee
23-06-2020, 04:46 AM
Yup she did. She does this repeatedly.

“Right, so when you sack your manager that has you competing for second in the league, make sure you replace him with the first snotty nosed kid who talks about Schematics and has all the Football Manager games on his laptop. Or a scruffbag, preferably one who has never won as much as a free lucky dip on the lottery. He’s got to start winning sometime - pretty clever logic, eh Ron?

As for your stands, you don’t need seats. Or a castle view. Chuck in a few random staircases in places that go nowhere like your drunk nan’s been trying to play The Sims. And budget, an 8m stand is great, but feel free to pay double that for a non completed stand because eight figure stand sounds better than seven. Big club, big price tag and all that.

Finally Ron, if you have a bang average youngster tell all the press that Real Madrid, Chelsea and the Dalai Lama are all wanting to sign him,

You writing this down Ron? Ron? What do you mean this is the Gala bingo booking line?”

Man Down Under
23-06-2020, 05:06 AM
I think most reasonable people assumed this is what the plan was, nice to hear it coming from Ron himself though.
I like how he has a background in media too, it's going to be a vital part of football until the stadiums open up again.

Sent from my SM-A205GN using Tapatalk

Green Manalishi
23-06-2020, 09:08 AM
I would have been more worried if he said he was just going to thrown a couple of million quid at the club to get us through this. We dont need a wreckless owner. David Murray, Mad Vlad and Brooks Milseson all tried that chasing a quick high and it came back to bite everyone of them on the arse.
On the other hand though he also has to understand that Hibs are a big city club so running us like St Mirren or Livingston would be equally as destructive. He needs to strike that fine balance between sensible book keeping while keeping us competitive at the same time.

CraigHibee
23-06-2020, 09:19 AM
I’m sorry but this is a very poor statement.Not one dig at another club far less any threat to sue everyone. Come on Ron,get with the programme.

i know, absolutely disgusting behaviour.

open and honest interview with Ron, the jambo pretenders will still claim we are going bust and they are the ones advertising their bank details for donations :greengrin

proud_and_green
23-06-2020, 09:29 AM
I would have been more worried if he said he was just going to thrown a couple of million quid at the club to get us through this. We dont need a wreckless owner. David Murray, Mad Vlad and Brooks Milseson all tried that chasing a quick high and it came back to bite everyone of them on the arse.
On the other hand though he also has to understand that Hibs are a big city club so running us like St Mirren or Livingston would be equally as destructive. He needs to strike that fine balance between sensible book keeping while keeping us competitive at the same time.I agree, watched second season of Sunderland Till I die recently and a thing that stuck out was when the new owners talked about the relationship between the club and its old US billionaire owner. Nobody on the staff at the club had any connection to making the club efficient or was held accountable for their actions. This was because if there was a bill or any problem they would just pass it to the billionaire in Florida who would just throw money at it.
Nobody felt it was their responsibility to make things work or improve them, there wasn't an incentive. That meant that they were always precarious and at the whim of the owner.
I would also have been more concerned if he had said I'll chuck money at this, it's not the answer.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Caversham Green
23-06-2020, 09:35 AM
On the other hand though he also has to understand that Hibs are a big city club so running us like St Mirren or Livingston would be equally as destructive. He needs to strike that fine balance between sensible book keeping while keeping us competitive at the same time.

To be fair nothing he's said so far suggests he'll be running the club like St Mirren or Livi.

I get the distinct feeling that Ron is quietly relishing the challenge of developing the club without throwing money at it, and that includes steering it through the current crisis.

Green Manalishi
23-06-2020, 09:45 AM
I agree, watched second season of Sunderland Till I die recently and a thing that stuck out was when the new owners talked about the relationship between the club and its old US billionaire owner. Nobody on the staff at the club had any connection to making the club efficient or was held accountable for their actions. This was because if there was a bill or any problem they would just pass it to the billionaire in Florida who would just throw money at it.
Nobody felt it was their responsibility to make things work or improve them, there wasn't an incentive. That meant that they were always precarious and at the whim of the owner.
I would also have been more concerned if he had said I'll chuck money at this, it's not the answer.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk Ellis Short was one of the worst examples of rich men buying football clubs. He had zero interest in the actual club or football in general. He just saw other wealthy Americans buying clubs in England so he jumped on the bandwagon. When it dawned on him that he was not going to make money out of Sunderland the little interest he could muster quickly evaporated. He kept writing cheques to make the day to day problems go away the same way someone would try and swat a fly buzzing around their head. Im not naive enough to think that Ron is a dyed in the wool Hibee but he seems to have a passion for us the same way he does with all his other ventures.