PDA

View Full Version : Barnsley legal action against Hearts

Causewayside PR
22-06-2020, 09:45 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows what if anything happened with regards to Barnsley claiming compensation from Hearts for them getting Stendal?
It seemed to go very quiet after after Barnsley wholeheartedly said they would pursue Hearts. They also seemed certain they were due money. Perhaps a private settlement was reached but heard nothing on that. Seems Hearts might have dodged a bullet here.

Jamesie
22-06-2020, 09:51 AM
Sounds like a settlement was probably reached containing a confidentiality clause, which may be why nothing further was heard.

What I'm more interested in is the Stendel relegation clause. It is reported that it could be triggered by either Hearts or Stendel.

On the face of his comments last week, I'd be surprised if it was Stendel. Difficult to say for certain without seeing the wording of the clause, but if Hearts were to win their court case and suddenly were no longer relegated, I wonder if they may then need to effectively put Stendel on gardening leave given Neilson's appointment? By my calculation Stendel had circa 18 months remaining on his contract.

Peevemor
22-06-2020, 09:56 AM
Sounds like a settlement was probably reached containing a confidentiality clause, which may be why nothing further was heard.

What I'm more interested in is the Stendel relegation clause. It is reported that it could be triggered by either Hearts or Stendel.

On the face of his comments last week, I'd be surprised if it was Stendel. Difficult to say for certain without seeing the wording of the clause, but if Hearts were to win their court case and suddenly were no longer relegated, I wonder if they may then need to effectively put Stendel on gardening leave given Neilson's appointment? By my calculation Stendel had circa 18 months remaining on his contract.

What Hearts & Stendel have both said in the past is that his contract was only valid in the top league, therefore it wouldn't be a case of either party triggering it - it would have been annulled automatically when their relegation was confirmed.

Stendel then said that he'd be willing to continue but that would obviously be subject to negotiations. Budge told him that she wanted to appoint the Director of Sporting Operations before a new manager. Stendel understood this and was waiting for her call.

She's acted with as much dignity & conscience as we've come to expect from her of late.

grunt
22-06-2020, 09:57 AM
Difficult to say for certain without seeing the wording of the clause, but if Hearts were to win their court case and suddenly were no longer relegated, I wonder if they may then need to effectively put Stendel on gardening leave given Neilson's appointment? By my calculation Stendel had circa 18 months remaining on his contract.
The Hearts statement on Neilson said this:

we have this evening agreed terms with all relevant parties for the return of Robbie Neilson as manager

I take that to mean they have come to an agreement with Stendel.

matty_f
22-06-2020, 10:03 AM
The Hearts statement on Neilson said this:

I take that to mean they have come to an agreement with Stendel.

I don't think anything needed to be agreed with him, Hearts said that his contract wasn't valid in the Championship so he had effectively left them anyway.

Henderson2Del
22-06-2020, 10:11 AM
What happens if they get reinstated

Rumble de Thump
22-06-2020, 10:18 AM
Stendel is not contracted to Hearts as they have been relegated. The contract is void. If they get promoted back to the Premier League tomorrow or next season Stendel will still not be a Hearts employee.

Jamesie
22-06-2020, 10:34 AM
Stendel is not contracted to Hearts as they have been relegated. The contract is void. If they get promoted back to the Premier League tomorrow or next season Stendel will still not be a Hearts employee.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'd prefer to see the contract clause itself before reaching that conclusion.

CropleyWasGod
22-06-2020, 11:14 AM

Pretty sure that's not the case. AIUI, there was an option to break the contract in the event of relegation. It wasn't an automatic cancelling.

Skol
22-06-2020, 11:26 AM
Using Hearts own terms ,they have been expelled. Demoted. They have not been relegated.

jacomo
22-06-2020, 11:30 AM
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'd prefer to see the contract clause itself before reaching that conclusion.

Absolutely no chance of that happening.

On second thoughts, it’s Hearts. They’ll probably publish Stendel’s contract on their website sometime this week.

Jamesie
22-06-2020, 11:48 AM
Absolutely no chance of that happening.

On second thoughts, it’s Hearts. They’ll probably publish Stendel’s contract on their website sometime this week.

Appreciate that entirely - what I was trying to say was that absent sight of the contract itself it is difficult to draw any conclusion either way.

Causewayside PR
22-06-2020, 02:53 PM
Pretty sure that's not the case. AIUI, there was an option to break the contract in the event of relegation. It wasn't an automatic cancelling.

The problem with that logic is that Stendal was continued to get paid into this month as I understand it HOWEVER he agreed to be paid 0% of his wage entitlement. I believe that June employment would be for 'this' season- 20/21 season. Therefore, it seems more likely that there is a mutual break clause. That would also explain Stendal pleading with Budge to let him have a chance of promotion with Hearts ie showing that he is committed to Hearts and would not break his side of the contract.

COULD WELL BE WRONG THOUGH!

Viva_Palmeiras
22-06-2020, 08:42 PM
“He made a big impact on our operation” Budgie understated for once.