PDA

View Full Version : Youth academy - disbanded?

AugustaHibs
18-06-2020, 01:38 PM
SSN are reporting that we are completely binning the youth set up? That would be a terrible decision imo

CapitalGreen
18-06-2020, 01:39 PM
SSN are reporting that we are completely binning the youth set up? That would be a terrible decision imo

If we have to keep East Mains bio-secure then the youth teams won’t have access.

CMurdoch
18-06-2020, 01:41 PM

This wouldn't surprise me. The joys of American ownership. Ron clearly said he is looking to concentrate on the 1st team so could easily bin the rest meantime.

BlackSheep
18-06-2020, 01:43 PM
There’s no youth/development league until 2021 now due to coronavirus

Vault Boy
18-06-2020, 01:44 PM
With the development league off for the foreseeable, it just makes financial sense for now. It's unfortunate, but needs must right now.

I think we'll see it reinstated in the future.

Sioux
18-06-2020, 01:45 PM
This wouldn't surprise me. The joys of American ownership. Ron clearly said he is looking to concentrate on the 1st team so could easily bin the rest meantime.

Aye the same country that has probably the best youth sporting facilitates in the world, costing billions($) on an annual basis.

MrRobot
18-06-2020, 01:55 PM
With the development league off for the foreseeable, it just makes financial sense for now. It's unfortunate, but needs must right now.

I’m certain we would start it up again in the future, but for now it makes perfect sense to be honest.

matty_f
18-06-2020, 01:57 PM
I think just for the cost and practicalities of running a youth set up, it was inevitable. Really harsh on those involved and they won't be the only people impacted by coronavirus.

Peevemor
18-06-2020, 01:58 PM

From what I remember from his interviews, I think Ron wants big things from the youth set up.

bingo70
18-06-2020, 02:02 PM
Devastating for the kids in the set up, I hope they manage to keep their spirits up and Hibs support them in whatever way we can mentally and practically in terms of finding a new club.

That said I don’t think an academy is really needed for us, if we produce really good ones the chances are they’ll get cherry picked by a bigger club and if they don’t there’s no guarantees they’ll be able to develop the way we want them to do and even then, if there’s an established senior player in their position it can be even more difficult for them to make the break through.

I think a club of our size should be copying the Brentford set up and picking up the bigger clubs cast offs, better chance of getting the good ones in positions we likely need at a fraction of the cost and resources spent on it.

It won’t be a popular decision but it’s the right one imo.

BroxburnHibee
18-06-2020, 02:08 PM
I suspect its more likely mothballed then discontinued completely.

However going forward there may end up being a review of the whole setup to see what costs can be saved.

The running costs of East Mains may be prohibitive for example while we go through this.

CMurdoch
18-06-2020, 02:09 PM
From what I remember from his interviews, I think Ron wants big things from the youth set up.

Yet it is the first thing to be ditched in a crisis.
He looks to be about to remove all he can in an attempt to balance our budget for next season.
In practical terms it removes lots of bodies from the equation with the bare minimum of people at East Mains to stay Covid 19 free

green day
18-06-2020, 02:10 PM
He looks to be about to remove all he can in an attempt to balance our budget for next season.

It's about the club surviving. Youth academy or first team player salary?

Not even a debate imo

The 90+2
18-06-2020, 02:12 PM

I’ll take that. The pathway from youths to the first team has been farcical for years.

CapitalGreen
18-06-2020, 02:14 PM
In practical terms it removes lots of bodies from the equation with the bare minimum of people at East Mains to stay Covid 19 free

And what of all that has to do with the fact he is American?

CMurdoch
18-06-2020, 02:16 PM
I’ll take that. The pathway from youths to the first team has been farcical for years.

Probably just mothballed for the season but this enforced disruption will see a lot of thinking going on about the right model for the club moving forward.

Henderson2Del
18-06-2020, 02:19 PM
Also allows for a complete overhaul to aim to become far more effective

The Modfather
18-06-2020, 02:19 PM
Devastating for the kids in the set up, I hope they manage to keep their spirits up and Hibs support them in whatever way we can mentally and practically in terms of finding a new club.

That said I don’t think an academy is really needed for us, if we produce really good ones the chances are they’ll get cherry picked by a bigger club and if they don’t there’s no guarantees they’ll be able to develop the way we want them to do and even then, if there’s an established senior player in their position it can be even more difficult for them to make the break through.

I think a club of our size should be copying the Brentford set up and picking up the bigger clubs cast offs, better chance of getting the good ones in positions we likely need at a fraction of the cost and resources spent on it.

Fair points IMO. I’d prefer to have a youth academy but only if it’s done properly and we actually use it. Otherwise I’m in agreement that it becomes a millstone. The current setup costs a fortune but I don’t think we’re particularly serious about developing our own players.

There’s no clear out pathway to the first team IMO. We can see that anecdotally, but I’ve linked before to an article that analysed clubs in the SPL from 2009 - 2019 in terms of how many players from the academy made their debut, and probably more tellingly the total minutes played. The stats for both, particularly minutes played, didn’t reflect well on us.

We need to be brave and have giving youth as one of our core principles. There’s never a perfect time to introduce youngsters, we just have to give them their chance as and when they come through. The 3 seasons in the championship the consensus seemed to be that it wasn’t the time to play youth, we had to get promoted. The first season back up wasn’t the time as we needed to consolidate and push on, the last two seasons haven’t been the time as we’ve struggled and needed to make the top 6. There won’t ever be an easy time to do it IMO.

I think the youth set up needs a complete overhaul, as well as expanding our youth scouting network across Scotland. There are lots of good players out there, Motherwell & Hamilton being particularly testament to that. I appreciate none of that comes cheaply, but that’s one area I’d be looking to invest in and change as it’s an area we have badly underperformed the last decade or so IMO. I’d also supplement that with quality young players released higher up the food chain and find the next David Murphy.

ronaldo7
18-06-2020, 02:22 PM

It'll be interesting to see what they do if grassroots gets up and running in September.

Will they release the boys from their contracts, or make them wait until January before releasing them.

Fanforlife
18-06-2020, 02:23 PM
I suspect its more likely mothballed then discontinued completely.

However going forward there may end up being a review of the whole setup to see what costs can be saved.

The running costs of East Mains may be prohibitive for example while we go through this.Has more or less been mothballed since start of pandemic.I assume all age groups will be the same as the 2006 squad (grandson plays for them) as in recieving keeping fit & dieting etc. information every week,so minimum expense involved in this,also a fair few attend the football performance school at Broughton so when schools go back and if academy has been stopped i assume kids place of education may have to be changed as well?grandson travels from Tranent to Broughton every school day when its normal conditions. As of yet and as far as im aware nothing has been mentioned to kids/parents in regards to this so think status qou will be preserved.

Victor
18-06-2020, 02:28 PM
It cannot be stated enough that these are unprecedented times. Things are tough for everyone, but for businesses they are tough now and are going to get tougher. As government aid starts to diminish all businesses (apart from undertakers) will need to find ways to cut costs and inevitably this will mean people losing their jobs. Football clubs and Hibs in particular, are no different and lots of savings will have to be made so that we can concentrate our or primary core business i.e. putting a first team on the pitch to play matches. Those that expect the owner to finance any extras from his own pocket are failing to grasp the difference between running a business and philanthropy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
18-06-2020, 02:28 PM
It's about the club surviving. Youth academy or first team player salary?

Not even a debate imo

Depends on the 1st team player. The club had very little value out of a number of them last season.

It will be interesting to see if in these brutal times, the club look to move David Grey or Daz into the coaching part of their contracts should they move on the current coaching staff.

It all pretty hellish this stuff.
First team players are on cast iron contracts so it's not easy to reduce costs without going for the easy targets like the youth set up.

Brightside
18-06-2020, 02:29 PM

As we talked about in another thread, i totally agree on this. I will argue for a long time that kids are much better off sticking with Youth Clubs till 16. Its a sickener for the kids right now but so many get dropped from "Pro-Youth" every year for no real benefit. I do wonder what we are doing with the Foundation element though. We have loads of teams that play under that banner and train at HTC.

H18 SFR
18-06-2020, 02:32 PM
Total common sense decision to patch it for a year minimum.

ronaldo7
18-06-2020, 02:38 PM
As we talked about in another thread, i totally agree on this. I will argue for a long time that kids are much better off sticking with Youth Clubs till 16. Its a sickener for the kids right now but so many get dropped from "Pro-Youth" every year for no real benefit. I do wonder what we are doing with the Foundation element though. We have loads of teams that play under that banner and train at HTC.

The foundation element just let's boys and girls play football. Nothing more as far as I can see. The cream have been harvested long before the community get anywhere near them.

Brightside
18-06-2020, 02:42 PM
It'll be interesting to see what they do if grassroots gets up and running in September.

Will they release the boys from their contracts, or make them wait until January before releasing them.

If every kid isn’t released right away there would be serious bother. I think that’s a no brainier.

ronaldo7
18-06-2020, 02:43 PM
If every kid isn’t released right away there would be serious bother. I think that’s a no brainier.

Lots of clubs will be watching with anticipation.

Brightside
18-06-2020, 02:49 PM
The foundation element just let's boys and girls play football. Nothing more as far as I can see. The cream have been harvested long before the community get anywhere near them.

Yeh but they do train at HTC. Will be interesting if that is stopped.

Billy Whizz
18-06-2020, 02:50 PM
We’ve got a great group of 16 year olds, wonder what the plan is for them

JimBHibees
18-06-2020, 02:53 PM

That would be shocking. Can they not be mothballed until Covid passes? Good ones will get picked up immediately

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 02:54 PM
Lots of clubs will be watching with anticipation.

There will have been kids contacted in the last day or so already.[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 02:55 PM
That would be shocking. Can they not be mothballed until Covid passes? Good ones will get picked up immediately

The kids need to play. They will go back to their community clubs.

bingo70
18-06-2020, 02:56 PM

Maybe keep the best ones and get them training with the senior players?

Garry O’Connor’s laddie for example (no idea how good he is but he’s the only one I’ve heard of), of clubs are sniffing about him and he’s got real potential, would we keep these lads on to see what happens when the dust settles?

Sort of highlights Brentford’s point that out of any academy side you’ll have 1, maybe 2 that they think will make it, the rest are there to make up the numbers and to give the best ones a team to play in.

Billy Whizz
18-06-2020, 02:57 PM

Garry O’Connor’s laddie for example (no idea how good he is but he’s the only one I’ve heard of), of clubs are sniffing about him and he’s got real potential, would we keep these lads on to see what happens when the dust settles?

Sort of highlights Brentford’s point that out of any academy side you’ll have 1, maybe 2 that they think will make it, the rest are there to make up the numbers and to give the best ones a team to play in.

Huddersfield did the same, then ended up paying over the odds for average players, who didn’t make it. So you need to be cute in your recruitment

04Sauzee
18-06-2020, 02:58 PM

You would think if you want to keep any young player on you would need to give them a pro contract? How old do you need to be before you can turn pro 16??

ronaldo7
18-06-2020, 02:58 PM
There will have been kids contacted in the last day or so already.[emoji3]

Oh, I know. 😆

JimBHibees
18-06-2020, 02:59 PM

But we would lost any right on them?

Billy Whizz
18-06-2020, 02:59 PM
Oh, I know. 😆

Ronnie, is he that good😄
You better not send him to Hearts

JimBHibees
18-06-2020, 03:00 PM

Brentford are very well placed to pick up kids who drop out of the big London teams academies.

The dalmeny
18-06-2020, 03:02 PM

So the kids currently playing in community clubs are the ones that get dumped then

Brightside
18-06-2020, 03:04 PM

Yes. It if you aren’t going to train or play you must release them. As others have said the best 16yo can move up to the first team squad for training. But the rest should be released. I only wish our team hadn’t folded as there would be plenty players I’d have back in a heartbeat!!

Brightside
18-06-2020, 03:05 PM
So the kids currently playing in community clubs are the ones that get dumped then

No. There are hundreds of community clubs at all levels. Not one kid will be without a club if they want to play.

Billy Whizz
18-06-2020, 03:06 PM
No. There are hundreds of community clubs at all levels. Not one kid will be without a club if they want to play.

When do you think kids football will start

The 90+2
18-06-2020, 03:07 PM
Probably just mothballed for the season but this enforced disruption will see a lot of thinking going on about the right model for the club moving forward.

Again, that can only be good instead of continuing with status quo.

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 03:08 PM
Huddersfield did the same, then ended up paying over the odds for average players, who didn’t make it. So you need to be cute in your recruitment

We do both now.[emoji23]

Brightside
18-06-2020, 03:08 PM
When do you think kids football will start

We can start training again in the next few weeks in small groups. I’m expecting youth football to be up and running in October tbh.

Billy Whizz
18-06-2020, 03:09 PM
We can start training again in the next few weeks in small groups. I’m expecting youth football to be up and running in October tbh.

Will we be able to go along and watch

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 03:09 PM

You never really have a right on a child anyway. There are laws against that. If a parent comes and says they want there child away there is not a lot a club can do.

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 03:10 PM

Moved down a league or whatever. There is constant churn in community clubs anyway.

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 03:11 PM

I was hopeful but Sturgeon kind of dampened my spirits today.

Brightside
18-06-2020, 03:22 PM

I'm not giving up yet. Billy re your qn - i think watching youth football will be easier as theres only a small number of spectators and they arent penned in. A few clubs play indoors - i think that will have to change.

Keith_M
18-06-2020, 05:28 PM

They've started setting up Lesser Hampden for the return of the Queens Park youth teams.

Obviously just for training just now but it's a start.

JimBHibees
18-06-2020, 05:49 PM
You never really have a right on a child anyway. There are laws against that. If a parent comes and says they want there child away there is not a lot a club can do.

Thought English premier league teams were signing 8 year olds.

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 05:53 PM
Thought English premier league teams were signing 8 year olds.

They sign them at 8 here as well but if a kid wants to leave he can. You can’t own 8 year olds and they can’t sign legally binding contracts.

Unseen work
18-06-2020, 06:02 PM
There wasn’t much in the way of us being protected from our youth players being scouted/ signed by bigger teams anyway.

Kane O'Connor is a good example of this and there has been others over the years.

Our youth set up as a whole has been very poor the past 15 or so years and we always seem to produce the same sort of players;

Handling
Stanton
Murray

Guys who are very small, weak, not much pace about them but are technically decent. When they go to the first team though the struggle. Often lacking aggression and the right mentality.

When was the last time we had a youngster that was an absolute powerhouse, rapid or had all the tricks to beat a player and make a real impact? Sometimes you need those sort of youngsters more than the technically gifted ones as they’ll have more an impact on the team.

Aberdeen - McLennan, McKenna
Hamilton - Ferguson, Docherty
Motherwell - Scott, Turnbull, Campbell and Hastie

We need to build teams to win but we also need ones that will be successful and ready to move into the first team, making sure they’re mentally and physically prepared.

blackpoolhibs
18-06-2020, 06:05 PM
I'd love to know the cost of running youth football, and if it's in any way cost effective?

Stonewall
18-06-2020, 06:16 PM

Correct.

allezsauzee
There wasn’t much in the way of us being protected from our youth players being scouted/ signed by bigger teams anyway.

Kane O'Connor is a good example of this and there has been others over the years.

Our youth set up as a whole has been very poor the past 15 or so years and we always seem to produce the same sort of players;

Handling
Stanton
Murray

Guys who are very small, weak, not much pace about them but are technically decent. When they go to the first team though the struggle. Often lacking aggression and the right mentality.

When was the last time we had a youngster that was an absolute powerhouse, rapid or had all the tricks to beat a player and make a real impact? Sometimes you need those sort of youngsters more than the technically gifted ones as they’ll have more an impact on the team.

Aberdeen - McLennan, McKenna
Hamilton - Ferguson, Docherty
Motherwell - Scott, Turnbull, Campbell and Hastie

We need to build teams to win but we also need ones that will be successful and ready to move into the first team, making sure they’re mentally and physically prepared.

Ryan Porteous and Jamie Gullan are small and weak?

Dr What If?
All the recent talk of what would improve Scottish football had me thinking about youth development. Its not cheap and the best prospects get snapped up by the biggest clubs. These bigger clubs can even keep more young lads on their books even if the vast majority have little chance of seeing any first team action.....it actually made me start to think if academies were actually holding a generation of footballers back.
I would like to see a comparison of premier league players from the 80s with those today.....where did these players come from? How many were lower league prospects that made the step up while at the same time netting their clubs a fair few quid. Seems like academies have just been a way of bigger name teams hoarding all the potential....and whats worse, not developing them through to proper, regular playing pro's.
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Hibs having a series of quality young teams that regularly feeds the first team.....I just worry we mainly get the boys Celtic and Rangers don't want and that there simply isn't that depth of talent left to warrant the expense. Also, the other side of the coin is that we are just taking players who would be better off cutting their teeth further down the pyramid, getting first team action and becoming better players for it.

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 06:32 PM
If a kid has been in pro youth since they were 8 then their experience of competitive football by the time they reach the first team is almost non existent. I think that shows in the type of players we are developing.

bigwheel
18-06-2020, 07:05 PM
If a kid has been in pro youth since they were 8 then their experience of competitive football by the time they reach the first team is almost non existent. I think that shows in the type of players we are developing.

What’s the best alternative Ozy? Interested

greenlex
18-06-2020, 07:07 PM
No it’s not. Stop making things up.

greenlex
18-06-2020, 07:09 PM
Stop it. It’ll never catch on.

Brightside
18-06-2020, 07:10 PM
What’s the best alternative Ozy? Interested

Community clubs. Spartans Hutchie. Porty. Lochend. Tynie. And plenty others.

Clarence
18-06-2020, 07:12 PM
Also allows for a complete overhaul to aim to become far more effective

This

bigwheel
18-06-2020, 07:12 PM

Appreciate that [emoji106]. do they get better first team experience than playing for academy teams ?

Brightside
18-06-2020, 07:15 PM
Appreciate that [emoji106]. do they get better first team experience than playing for academy teams ?

We are talking football up to 15/16. It’s competitive from age 12+ and they have chances to play in Scottish cups etc. You can win nothing at Pro-Youth. Imagine playing pro youth for 8 years then getting dropped and you’ve not even got a wee medal for all your efforts. There are very few positives from pro youth football.

Fanforlife
18-06-2020, 07:23 PM
Hopefully this helps end rumours and confusion regarding academy closing. Son in law just phoned me with update on grandsons situation at academy. All parents were on zoom conference call with Hibs on Monday,told as things stand there will be no football activity for academy kids this year,it remains mothballed as it has been since March. Every signed player from this season will be offered a 1 year contract from January 2021,traing videos etc will still be sent to all academy players .Hopefully they all stick in and come back with an even more burning desire to make the grade after losing out on so much playing and proper training time.

18-06-2020, 07:26 PM
Disappointing reading if the Academy is to be closed (whether short term or permanent) but its probably a sign of things to come.
As soon as the government finish the furlough scheme fully expect redundancies and unemployment to rise significantly as the financial impact of this pandemic is going to hit for a good few years yet.

04Sauzee
18-06-2020, 07:37 PM
Hopefully this helps end rumours and confusion regarding academy closing. Son in law just phoned me with update on grandsons situation at academy. All parents were on zoom conference call with Hibs on Monday,told as things stand there will be no football activity for academy kids this year,it remains mothballed as it has been since March. Every signed player from this season will be offered a 1 year contract from January 2021,traing videos etc will still be sent to all academy players .Hopefully they all stick in and come back with an even more burning desire to make the grade after losing out on so much playing and proper training time.

Thanks for the update, and hope the wee man can enjoy football again soon

Pagan Hibernia
18-06-2020, 07:46 PM

thanks for this.

its been a depressing thread for those of us who believe Hibs future should be based around producing and developing our own players.

if the academy had to close for a year or so, to save the football club, then so be it, but I’d expect to hear reassurances from the board that it will be brought back as soon as finances allow. Particularly as Ron Gordon has already stated that making our youth system the best in the country is one of his priorities

neil7908
18-06-2020, 07:49 PM

Good stuff. Binning the youth set up is short term gain for long term pain.

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 07:51 PM

Yip. Spend money on helping these clubs improve their coaching. Clubs can still run training camps etc. Playing competitive football is very different and some boys thrive and others don’t.
Right now the SFA take more money out of youth football than they put in. It’s a disgrace.

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Good stuff. Binning the youth set up is short term gain for long term pain.

Is it? Our youth system is hopeless. It doesn’t produce players good enough for Hibs.

neil7908
18-06-2020, 08:02 PM
Is it? Our youth system is hopeless. It doesn’t produce players good enough for Hibs.

We will always need to have players coming through - trying to rely on the transfer market for a club our size is a recipe for disaster.

Pagan Hibernia
18-06-2020, 08:03 PM

Ryan Porteous is absolutely good enough to play for Hibs

monarch
18-06-2020, 08:05 PM
In the 12 year history of East Mains Ryan Porteous is the only graduate who could really be described as a first team regular.
Jamie Gullan looks like he’ll make it but even he spent his earlier days at the Hearts academy.

WhileTheChief..
18-06-2020, 08:09 PM

Agree with all of this.

I wouldn’t spend a thing on youth development.

I’d also be picking up the best youngsters from the smaller clubs. McGinn being the prime example.

Pagan Hibernia
18-06-2020, 08:16 PM
In the 12 year history of East Mains Ryan Porteous is the only graduate who could really be described as a first team regular.
Jamie Gullan looks like he’ll make it but even he spent his earlier days at the Hearts academy.

Which indicates that the problem is with what we do in our academy, not the idea of an academy itself.

if other clubs can successfully develop their own players then hibs can too

Billy Whizz
18-06-2020, 08:18 PM
Which indicates that the problem is with what we do in our academy, not the idea of an academy itself.

if other clubs can successfully develop their own players then hibs can too

3 managers in 2019 doesn’t help in the slightest

Pagan Hibernia
18-06-2020, 08:23 PM
3 managers in 2019 doesn’t help in the slightest

agree.

personally I’d be happy with one good first team player coming through every two years. I think that would constitute a reasonable success

I would absolutely hate for Hibs to give up on youth development completely

JimBHibees
18-06-2020, 08:25 PM
agree.

personally I’d be happy with one good first team player coming through every two years. I think that would constitute a reasonable success

Absolutely agree.

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 08:35 PM
I don’t want us to give up on it but we should def look at whether we are getting our money worth. Would the money be better spent paying to get the best young players in Scotland at an older age? Say we spend £500k a year on the academy, would that money be better spent bringing in the midfielder from St. Johnstone and Nisbet from the pars? If we do that every year we will likely have more young players in our first team squad with sell on potential than we are managing just now? And we could do it every year rather than hoping a player comes through every 4 years.

Gerard
18-06-2020, 08:41 PM
In light of the current financial situation can we afford to own and run a dedicated TA? If we can't own such a thing we could find a TA similar to Hearts for the use if our players.

GreenCastle
18-06-2020, 08:42 PM
Interesting discussion and I can see the points on both sides.

They can be very expensive to operate. Even in England some of the costs of these teams playing and travelling - is it worth it without selling a player for several million every so often to find the operation.

I watched quite a lot of development games and wasn’t too impressed with the talent - not just Hibs but usually opposition too.

Good young players are usually picked up early by teams with more resources but there are a few late developers.

Change of mangers and needing instant success also means less chance of development - Hecky recently being a prime example.

But I would be looking at the bigger failings of Scottish youth development - Project Brave ?! Is there not funding associated with this ? Was there not plans for an indoor pitch?

My concerns is that our best talent goes to Hearts.

Why can’t coaches do smaller sessions once the restrictions each? Players can still be coached ??

I do hope Hibs have provided support to the players as mental health etc is very common in youth these days.

I wasn’t liking the idea of jobs for the boys at East Mains. The only guy I think was decent was Gareth Evans.

The rest wasn’t sure about and rumours that Eddie May is away too.

Some clarity from the club would be useful as again media leaks aren’t great for public image and for fans who are trying to help improve the club.

The dalmeny
18-06-2020, 08:52 PM

Will they get the opportunity to play boys club up to then?

Hibernianrus
18-06-2020, 08:56 PM

The pro youth system will bring the occasional talent through but it is mainly taken up with Jersey fillers. There may be 1 or 2 prospects in any age group and then the rest of the squad are just slightly better than average but with little or no chance of making it to our first team. The Brentford model where they pick up older kids let go from other sides is the cheapest way to operate. However you can’t beat watching one of the academy boys making it right through to the first team. It is a savage environment for the kids at times. My mates son was in the academy from age 9 until 15 and they phoned his dad and told him he wasn’t getting signed for the following season. Gave up football as a result .

The dalmeny
18-06-2020, 08:56 PM
We are talking football up to 15/16. It’s competitive from age 12+ and they have chances to play in Scottish cups etc. You can win nothing at Pro-Youth. Imagine playing pro youth for 8 years then getting dropped and you’ve not even got a wee medal for all your efforts. There are very few positives from pro youth football.

This, seen boys coming out pro youth and struggling in some of these community teams.

EI255
18-06-2020, 09:03 PM

100%

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
18-06-2020, 09:09 PM

An informed post. Can’t imagine many clubs our size (and downwards) will be in a different position really. How could they? There is no football at the level and none looking likely for a while. Might’ve been the only positive to come out of the Huns suggestion for colts sides to be introduced somehow but not just to suit those two.

greenlex
18-06-2020, 09:09 PM
agree.

Absolutely agree.
Yup. It worked well at Falkitk.

King conrad
18-06-2020, 09:12 PM

We don't give youth players a chance. The last ten years have been a joke and no one has came through and established themselves until Porteous recently. Too scared to let them play, they will only get better playing against and with better footballers.

Fanforlife
18-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Will they get the opportunity to play boys club up to then?no idea regarding this,would dobt it though because as it stands they are all Hibs signings, to counter that comment i dont think it would be a problem if any kid wanted to leave or Parents wanted it.

Iggy Pope
18-06-2020, 09:39 PM
Agree with all of this.

I wouldn’t spend a thing on youth development.

I’d also be picking up the best youngsters from the smaller clubs. McGinn being the prime example.

That’ll be a market limited to all the smaller clubs that are somehow still producing young top level potential players and they’ll be falling over themselves to come to miserable old Hibs and their big set up right? Must be the money.

If no club invests we end up with no real footballers and no National side, just an OF full of big money buys the English don’t want.

For every John McGinn there is ten or more of Paul Lovering.
McGinn cost (well spent) money and took very little developing, we sold him for a fraction of his ability value and god knows how that plays out in the future for us and his previous ‘smaller’ club.
The very best players in our history took developing to help put the Chief’s old sunshine there and a lot of them kept us going with their transfer fees, much as we despised them leaving.

Iggy Pope
18-06-2020, 09:43 PM
In light of the current financial situation can we afford to own and run a dedicated TA? If we can't own such a thing we could find a TA similar to Hearts for the use if our players.

Might come to that but it would be ****ing horrible pill to swallow. Maybe even move in beside them. Suppose we’ve been playing there long enough.

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 09:54 PM
That’ll be a market limited to all the smaller clubs that are somehow still producing young top level potential players and they’ll be falling over themselves to come to miserable old Hibs and their big set up right? Must be the money.

If no club invests we end up with no real footballers and no National side, just an OF full of big money buys the English don’t want.

For every John McGinn there is ten or more of Paul Lovering.
McGinn cost (well spent) money and took very little developing, we sold him for a fraction of his ability value and god knows how that plays out in the future for us and his previous ‘smaller’ club.
The very best players in our history took developing to help put the Chief’s old sunshine there and a lot of them kept us going with their transfer fees, much as we despised them leaving.

Our academy isn’t producing players though that’s the problem. If it was there would be no argument. We all want to bring local kids through and give them a career and also help Hibs at the same time but that’s not what’s happening. If we can’t fix it then we need to bin it.
There have been no recent changes at the academy so either they don’t think there is a problem or they have no idea how to fix it. Either way, the argument for keeping it is on shaky ground.

Brightside
18-06-2020, 10:05 PM
Our academy isn’t producing players though that’s the problem. If it was there would be no argument. We all want to bring local kids through and give them a career and also help Hibs at the same time but that’s not what’s happening. If we can’t fix it then we need to bin it.
There have been no recent changes at the academy so either they don’t think there is a problem or they have no idea how to fix it. Either way, the argument for keeping it is on shaky ground.

I’ve not seen any young players that have gone there at 12 or younger and left a better player at 14/15. That’s why I’m not a fan. Something needs to change.

Ozyhibby
18-06-2020, 10:53 PM
I’ve not seen any young players that have gone there at 12 or younger and left a better player at 14/15. That’s why I’m not a fan. Something needs to change.

Players we have had back have been neither any better or worse than they left. Usually lost a bit of confidence but they get over that quick. Most love the fact they play for a top club but they don’t seem to improve for the experience.

The Harp
18-06-2020, 11:32 PM
Have always thought a well-run academy, attracting the cream of the young, talented players from the east of Scotland and further afield, is the way forward for Hibs, so it saddens me to see the academy's future in doubt.
Unfortunately, it would need a tidy sum of money invested in it to get it running efficiently, but imo it would be money well-spent, developing our own youngsters instead of trying to acquire players in the transfer market.

Stuart93
18-06-2020, 11:35 PM
Have always thought a well-run academy, attracting the cream of the young, talented players from the east of Scotland and further afield, is the way forward for Hibs, so it saddens me to see the academy's future in doubt.
Unfortunately, it would need a tidy sum of money invested in it to get it running efficiently, but imo it would be money well-spent, developing our own youngsters instead of trying to acquire players in the transfer market.

It doesn’t really work out the same way in theory unfortunately

When we start the academy back up, watch what Hamilton & Motherwell are doing and copy them.

HendoDelivered
19-06-2020, 12:04 AM
Academy needs a big revamp tbh. Not producing anywhere near enough youngsters that are capable of playing in the first team and cementing a position. Porto about the only one in the last couple seasons capable of doing so. Shaw was average and was moved on. Jury still out on Mackie and Murray for me, although I have to say Jamie Gullan looks decent from what I have seem from him.

Motherwell and the tramps over the road have a better youth set up than ours currently, IMO. Especially when it comes to them being able to get into the first team.

Hibeesmad
19-06-2020, 12:19 AM
Haven't we let a few youngsters go to Rangers or Celtic over the last few years? That boy who went to Brentford or something last year too.

Aubenas
19-06-2020, 12:37 AM
A few stats updated to March 2020

Since 2006-7, the Academy has produced:

9 internationalists with 145 caps between them, 11 capped at U21 level.

3003 first team appearances in 13 years

6 players who have generated transfer fees of over a million pounds

19 players with at least a season worth of appearances for Hibs

31 who have become established pros at Hibs or elsewhere.

Given that two "making it" each year is considered a good return.

Given that all the players who have even had minimal appearances or appeared as subs or even on the bench - had they not come from our Academy would have cost money to be signed in signing on fees, higher wages, or transfers from elsewhere.

Given that the Training Centre infrastructure needs to be there for the first team.

Folk can be for or against a youth system - but calling it "useless" is not too accurate.

Hibeesmad
19-06-2020, 12:45 AM

Given that all the players who have even had minimal appearances or appeared as subs or even on the bench - had they not come from our Academy would have cost money to be signed in signing on fees, higher wages, or transfers from elsewhere.

Given that the Training Centre infrastructure needs to be there for the first team.

Folk can be for or against a youth system - but calling it "useless" is not too accurate.

Who are the 3 best players to come through our academy in the last 10 years?

Ozyhibby
19-06-2020, 12:57 AM

What are the figures for the last ten years?

Hibeesmad
19-06-2020, 01:02 AM
Wotherspoon, Porteous, Forster, Booth, Stanton, Martin, Harris, Handling, F.Murray, Caldwell, Gullan, Shaw and Cummings are the group of players that spring to mind when thinking of players to come through the academy and make their debuts since the 2009/10 season.

Stuart93
19-06-2020, 01:18 AM
Wotherspoon, Porteous, Forster, Booth, Stanton, Martin, Harris, Handling, F.Murray, Caldwell, Gullan, Shaw and Cummings are the group of players that spring to mind when thinking of players to come through the academy and make their debuts since the 2009/10 season.

Cummings & Gullan came from hearts’ academy

Outwith Porteous the list and the two I’ve mentioned the list doesn’t making for great reading.

Mibbes Aye
19-06-2020, 02:18 AM
We’ve got a great group of 16 year olds, wonder what the plan is for them

I had to give up kids and youth coaching three or four years ago because I changed job and couldn’t commit to midweek coaching and also was basically too knackered to get up early on a Saturday morning!

We had a couple of guys from the 2003s and 2004s who were going up to East Mains or the likes of Bonnyrigg Rose. Be interested to see whether any make progress with us. I have lost touch with them and their parents, just due to work, and pulling out of coaching.

Just_Jimmy
19-06-2020, 03:19 AM
I think when we say nothing has come through in 12 years, you have to consider the bigger picture also.

1. In that time they did away with reserved football. Is the jump just too much now?
2. What was going on with the first team? For example when we change management once a season or so it doesn't bring any stability. Go back to Mowbray in 2007 and we've had 10 permanent managers in that time. Stubbs and Lennon were only here 2 and 2.5 years respectfully. If we're changing first team manager on average of every 12 months how can we expect kids to develop into the first team?
3. This shows when we have a settled side too. There's two ways kids come through. The first is crisis and everyone is thrown in and they either make it or don't. Secondly you have a solid established team and one or two are bled in and earn a place. We had the first under Williamson and we got lucky they were good. The second we had with the likes of Fletch under Mowbray, Hanlon under Mixu, Lewis under collins and Porteous now. If the team chopping and changing it helps no one never mind the kids.

Bringing through youth players is massively complicated and there's much more to them making it than just talent or what we do before they get a chance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Duke of Currie
19-06-2020, 03:58 AM
It is a difficult balance , but I think clubs in general hold onto players for too long before releasing them.
I recall reading about clubs like Celtic in the 60's who would farm their young players out to junior clubs to toughen them up and see if they could step up from boys football to playing against men.

If Hibs dont run an academy , is there scope to have strategic alignment to community clubs and sponsor/provide off field support which will be mutually beneficial. Players who can step up at a young age, say 17/18 years old at EOS/Lowland league level , then get moved onto the next level in the pathway , say aged 18/19 at perhaps spending the next year on loan at a SPFL League 1 club or League of Ireland club under a development contract with Hibs and then moving into the Hibs squad the season after if they make the grade. If they are not making it at those levels at those ages , they dont move into the first team squad.
American clubs do something similar with feeder clubs where players are signed and played in minor leagues until they are ready or dropped if they cant step up , Hibs could do the same with a network of strategic alignments / partners.

Depending on the spread of these , it would also increase the scope of the scouting network.

Brooster
19-06-2020, 06:12 AM
No point in laying out considerable amounts on Academy coaches etc for the coming season, lay them off then pick things up again when the Development league starts up again.
I've always said that we wont produce many youth players as long as Eddie May is in charge, changes needed there.
I know at least 1 youth player has been added to the first team squad of 20 that started back this week, I hope he gets a chance to improve.

JimBHibees
19-06-2020, 06:17 AM
Haven't we let a few youngsters go to Rangers or Celtic over the last few years? That boy who went to Brentford or something last year too.

Yes both cheeks took a couple of our better players from our academy. Was the perception not that some of the younger age groups were very good. This sort of thing doesnt just happen it takes years to bring through quality. Eddie May did a very good job at Falkirk. It is a great facility however location imo not ideal especially from kids from the west where it is possible you get better quality.

JimBHibees
19-06-2020, 06:22 AM
Cummings & Gullan came from hearts’ academy

Outwith Porteous the list and the two I’ve mentioned the list doesn’t making for great reading.

Not top quality reading but vast majority have made a career out of football so must be doing something right. Alot of youth development is having right structures in place but also a large degree of luck in picking up the gems and hoping they dont get stolen when you are not looking.

Sergio sledge
19-06-2020, 07:07 AM
I think there's a real problem with the pathway to the first team in Scotland in general, although it does seem better at some clubs recently (Hamilton and Motherwell spring to mind).

Part of the reasons for this have already been mentioned, manager and first team squad churn being a real issue. As well as that teams and managers are too scared to take big chances and throw the youth into the team at 18/19 when they need to be getting exposure if they are going to make it.

Managers are scared because a few bad results will most likely lead to them getting the sack as a club heads towards danger of relegation. Clubs are scared because relegation is a massive financial cliff to fall off so don't want to risk it.

With all the chat over recent weeks about changes "for the good of Scottish football" I've been thinking how you could take away this fear. Of the ways you could do it some would never get bored in by the clubs, 16/18 team league (no 4x OF games for TV), better financial distribution to lower leagues to make the drop off less, no playoffs, no relegation (can't and shouldn't happen).

One thing I think might be a good idea and would stand a chance of being voted through by the clubs is the change the criteria for relegation. Instead of relegating the team that finishes bottom in a single season you base it on the team with the lowest points on a 3 year rolling average. This means teams can have a bad season or a bad run and know that they have two more seasons to pick themselves up and get out of relegation danger. It would allow clubs to stick with managers longer and give youth players more chances because there is no immediate danger of relegation. It would also help newly promoted clubs as they know they have two fully protected seasons in the new division and will only get relegated if they are really poor over all three seasons.

It would allow teams to bring in youngsters earlier and give them a chance knowing that in a season or two when they have more experience they'll be able to play the club out of danger if they've been struggling.

It's a bit radical, but I think it could work.

04Sauzee
19-06-2020, 07:10 AM
No point in laying out considerable amounts on Academy coaches etc for the coming season, lay them off then pick things up again when the Development league starts up again.
I've always said that we wont produce many youth players as long as Eddie May is in charge, changes needed there.
I know at least 1 youth player has been added to the first team squad of 20 that started back this week, I hope he gets a chance to improve.

I'd hope Doig is added to the squad from the little I have seen of him he looks a prospect and by all accounts he had a good loan spell away last season

NC1875
19-06-2020, 07:11 AM
Young players could have one good season and the poached by the ugly sisters or some diddy league one team down south and the Scottish club is back to square one. Easy to have 3 bad seasons when you can’t keep your best players

Hibeesmad
19-06-2020, 07:19 AM
How did that striker we got from Rangers get on towards the end of last season, Matty Yates?

Edit: Just checked and hes been emptied by us.

GreenCastle
19-06-2020, 07:20 AM
Not sure if possible to find these figures but how much have we spent on coaching / resources / running East Mains compared to the amount of money these young players have been sold for ?

It’s rare a player comes up all the way from u12 to 1st team.

The other problem we have is the location of East Mains - it’s really not ideal for many players / parents especially during winter - with limited travel options.

I agree about Eddie May - we can do better - I hope if we do start again we bring in fresh ideas - maybe in a roundabout way the club want change but don’t want to be seen to be getting rid of several coaches who have been there for a while.

Personally would like to see partnerships with local clubs - don’t just poach players but work with them to develop local coaches and invite them to ER for functions etc. I know they linked with Spartans a few years ago but Hibs weren’t very good at building that relationship.

Hibeesmad
19-06-2020, 07:23 AM
I'd hope Doig is added to the squad from the little I have seen of him he looks a prospect and by all accounts he had a good loan spell away last season

Block too.

Peevemor
19-06-2020, 07:29 AM
Not sure if possible to find these figures but how much have we spent on coaching / resources / running East Mains compared to the amount of money these young players have been sold for ?

It’s rare a player comes up all the way from u12 to 1st team.

The other problem we have is the location of East Mains - it’s really not ideal for many players / parents especially during winter - with limited travel options.

I agree about Eddie May - we can do better - I hope if we do start again we bring in fresh ideas - maybe in a roundabout way the club want change but don’t want to be seen to be getting rid of several coaches who have been there for a while.

Personally would like to see partnerships with local clubs - don’t just poach players but work with them to develop local coaches and invite them to ER for functions etc. I know they linked with Spartans a few years ago but Hibs weren’t very good at building that relationship.

East Mains was built primarily for the first team.

Even doing away with "the Academy", we'd still have employees who dealt specifically with youngsters.

The bulk of the costs/overhead will be the same whether or not we run youth teams.

The success of the academy shouldn't be measured on player sales alone but also first team appearances. In saying that, the output have been fairly poor.

I think this is a weak point that Ron will look to improve in the future.

GreenCastle
19-06-2020, 07:45 AM
It’s rare that all the pitch space at East Mains is actually used. They may as well sell some of it for housing / sports village and make some ££ ?

Obviously keeping enough space for Hibs own interests and future development of say a full size indoor pitch.

The bit I can’t get my head round is the SFA award each clubs gold / silver etc and Academy is one of the criteria that they then get funding for. Also what’s the latest with project brave ? Another failed Scottish football initiative ?

Ozyhibby
19-06-2020, 07:48 AM
East Mains was built primarily for the first team.

Even doing away with "the Academy", we'd still have employees who dealt specifically with youngsters.

The bulk of the costs/overhead will be the same whether or not we run youth teams.

The success of the academy shouldn't be measured on player sales alone but also first team appearances. In saying that, the output have been fairly poor.

I think this is a weak point that Ron will look to improve in the future.

It needs sales. If it was just first team appearances then we can just buy players in that suit our needs.

Peevemor
19-06-2020, 07:53 AM
It needs sales. If it was just first team appearances then we can just buy players in that suit our needs.

Surely the idea is to attract and produce the best youngsters so that we don't have to shell out for them.

Green_one
19-06-2020, 08:13 AM
People can spin this any way they like but it is obviously not good news. Reflects a very poor financial position and kills the dreams of a lot of wee boys. Leaves Edinburgh to the Jambos or what’s left of them

I personally think that it is a false economy, as it cannot cost all that much, attracts fan funding and produces the occasional incoming fee / player. Reducing the coaches etc. would have been my preference. I am sure some injured players could be used to help the youths.

If it is this bad then more pain is on its way.

Brightside
19-06-2020, 08:19 AM
It is a difficult balance , but I think clubs in general hold onto players for too long before releasing them.
I recall reading about clubs like Celtic in the 60's who would farm their young players out to junior clubs to toughen them up and see if they could step up from boys football to playing against men.

If Hibs dont run an academy , is there scope to have strategic alignment to community clubs and sponsor/provide off field support which will be mutually beneficial. Players who can step up at a young age, say 17/18 years old at EOS/Lowland league level , then get moved onto the next level in the pathway , say aged 18/19 at perhaps spending the next year on loan at a SPFL League 1 club or League of Ireland club under a development contract with Hibs and then moving into the Hibs squad the season after if they make the grade. If they are not making it at those levels at those ages , they dont move into the first team squad.
American clubs do something similar with feeder clubs where players are signed and played in minor leagues until they are ready or dropped if they cant step up , Hibs could do the same with a network of strategic alignments / partners.

Depending on the spread of these , it would also increase the scope of the scouting network.

Hibs should have a link up with many of the community clubs. Thats a no brainer. Help with coach education. Be ready to sign the players that are highlighted by those coaches at the appropriate time. It was suggested many times but its never happened. There really is no need for Hibs or any other team to be taking kids at 11 - 14 from community clubs. Just get the link up there to ensure they dont lose any of the talent.

Ozyhibby
19-06-2020, 09:31 AM
Surely the idea is to attract and produce the best youngsters so that we don't have to shell out for them.

We don’t pay transfer fees very often anyway. It’s costing a lot of money to run the academy and it’s not producing players.

Peevemor
19-06-2020, 09:36 AM
We don’t pay transfer fees very often anyway. It’s costing a lot of money to run the academy and it’s not producing players.

People keep saying that "it costs a lot of money" , but what are we spending specifically on the academy? I'm not looking for figures, but what sort of things could we save on?

lucky
19-06-2020, 09:39 AM
The majority of fans are only interested in 1st results. This move focuses all our finances on the 1st for the next year. Our income is going to be around 50% of where it’s been so we need to cut our cloth accordingly. It was not that long ago that fans were wanting every penny spent on the 1st instead of infrastructure projects. Well there is going to be one project, having a 1st team on the pitch.

Jones28
19-06-2020, 09:40 AM
People keep saying that "it costs a lot of money" , but what are we spending specifically on the academy? I'm not looking for figures, but what sort of things could we save on?

There’s the coaching which I imagine would cost a fair whack. Each year group has 2/3 coaches from what I remember, plus the actual games need physios at £60 per game. There’s also the contribution to the maintenance of east mains itself, plus kits etc. It’s probably doesn’t add up to much, but it still costs.

Ozyhibby
19-06-2020, 09:41 AM

We start taking kids at 8/9 year old. Each team has a couple of coaches. Think they earn about £600 a month. Then there is buses to take the kids round the country for games. Refs to pay. Sports science advice. Nutrition advice. Upkeep of the facility. All the admin involved in running that many kids teams. Child protection costs. There is more and I don’t know it all but I know it must be a lot of money.

Peevemor
19-06-2020, 09:50 AM
There’s the coaching which I imagine would cost a fair whack. Each year group has 2/3 coaches from what I remember, plus the actual games need physios at £60 per game. There’s also the contribution to the maintenance of east mains itself, plus kits etc. It’s probably doesn’t add up to much, but it still costs.

That's my point. Say it costs £150k per year, probably the equivalent of a 1st team wage, is that a lot (relatively speaking)?

Benji1
19-06-2020, 09:52 AM
Hibs should have a link up with many of the community clubs. Thats a no brainer. Help with coach education. Be ready to sign the players that are highlighted by those coaches at the appropriate time. It was suggested many times but its never happened. There really is no need for Hibs or any other team to be taking kids at 11 - 14 from community clubs. Just get the link up there to ensure they dont lose any of the talent.
I agree, problem is that other clubs like celtic, rangers and hearts would snap these players up at that age and hibs would miss out. This is the only reason kids are picked up younger and younger these days.
For what your saying to work all clubs would have to the same thing and unfortunately thats not going to happen.

Brightside
19-06-2020, 10:00 AM
We start taking kids at 8/9 year old. Each team has a couple of coaches. Think they earn about £600 a month. Then there is buses to take the kids round the country for games. Refs to pay. Sports science advice. Nutrition advice. Upkeep of the facility. All the admin involved in running that many kids teams. Child protection costs. There is more and I don’t know it all but I know it must be a lot of money.

Do we take kids at 8/9 at the academy? I really had no idea they were that young. I know the foundation does the young ones but thats not under Hibs financially.

Brightside
19-06-2020, 10:18 AM
I agree, problem is that other clubs like celtic, rangers and hearts would snap these players up at that age and hibs would miss out. This is the only reason kids are picked up younger and younger these days.
For what your saying to work all clubs would have to the same thing and unfortunately thats not going to happen.

Totally - the SFA need to change things. Instead of their Project brave nonsense.

Jones28
19-06-2020, 10:25 AM
That's my point. Say it costs £150k per year, probably the equivalent of a 1st team wage, is that a lot (relatively speaking)?

I think in the grand scheme of things it’s not, but at this time when every penny is a prisoner then maybe it has to be classed unnecessary.

Peevemor
19-06-2020, 10:34 AM
I think in the grand scheme of things it’s not, but at this time when every penny is a prisoner then maybe it has to be classed unnecessary.

I agree, above all when there's no football for the youth teams to play.

However there are a good few people who are for binning the academy altogether, quoting costs of £500k per year.

I don't believe it costs anything like that amount and, while we would all like to see more decent players coming through, I still think it's worth having.

Duke of Currie
19-06-2020, 10:38 AM
Interesting comments today in the BBC about B Teams and strategic partnerships

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53092366

matty_f
19-06-2020, 10:40 AM
It will be interesting to see, when the time comes, whether the academy is resumed as it was, or whether the club take the opportunity between now and then to totally remodel it seeing as we'll practically have a clean slate to work from. It could actually turn out to be a major opportunity for us.

Lago
19-06-2020, 10:47 AM

I've just read the article & the piece about Brentford makes interesting reading.

hibsbollah
19-06-2020, 10:48 AM

I was hearing about this; Brentford are going to be in pole position for the promotion run in because of the B team system, lots of fresh players, larger pool to choose from and there’s a belief that there will be a lot of soft tissue injuries in the next few weeks because of the covid shutdown and lots of games coming all at once.

But Brentford are a bit of a trailblazer for youth development and cutting edge coaching so their success might be just down to the club culture. Also you’d need the money to pay the extra players, not easy when everyone is struggling.

Pagan Hibernia
19-06-2020, 11:16 AM
People can spin this any way they like but it is obviously not good news. Reflects a very poor financial position and kills the dreams of a lot of wee boys. Leaves Edinburgh to the Jambos or what’s left of them

I personally think that it is a false economy, as it cannot cost all that much, attracts fan funding and produces the occasional incoming fee / player. Reducing the coaches etc. would have been my preference. I am sure some injured players could be used to help the youths.

If it is this bad then more pain is on its way.

the thought of hearts having a total monopoly on talented local kids makes me physically sick.

Ozyhibby
19-06-2020, 11:17 AM

16 players for the first team in 4 years? Wow. Now that is a successful model.

Duke of Currie
19-06-2020, 11:18 AM
Would be interested to know from any of the posters on this site who understand the American sport set up if B/feeder teams are beneficial to both the progress of players and success of the parent club

Ozyhibby
19-06-2020, 11:20 AM
the thought of hearts having a total monopoly on talented local kids makes me physically sick.

The current model isn’t producing any talented local kids.
If you set up a system from 16 onwards you can afford to have better coaches and to offer kids better terms. Kids will then choose us over them.

bigwheel
19-06-2020, 11:43 AM
The current model isn’t producing any talented local kids.
If you set up a system from 16 onwards you can afford to have better coaches and to offer kids better terms. Kids will then choose us over them.

I agree our current model hasn’t delivered - but it would be very hard to get a kid, who is doing well with Hearts for a number of years, to come to us at 16..doesn’t feel like the solution to me

NC1875
19-06-2020, 11:52 AM
Was speaking to a neighbour yesterday who’s son is part of the youth academy. He’s heard that Leanne is unhappy about us dropping it and is apparently set to be offered a role at the Huns.

Just passing on what I’ve heard, neighbour has no reason to lie about it. He’s also a hibby.

He also stated there was supposed to be another zoom call with Graeme Mathie today but hadn’t heard a thing.

Andy74
19-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Would be interested to know from any of the posters on this site who understand the American sport set up if B/feeder teams are beneficial to both the progress of players and success of the parent club

US sport is totally different.

Sports are part of the fabric of high school and college and are extremely popular spectator sports in their own rights at those levels.

Players are largely recruited and drafted through their college teams.

Then there are also minor leagues and franchises own teams there that they can send players out to develop or keep fresh for being brought in as replacements.

Ozyhibby
19-06-2020, 11:54 AM
I agree our current model hasn’t delivered - but it would be very hard to get a kid, who is doing well with Hearts for a number of years, to come to us at 16..doesn’t feel like the solution to me

I honestly don’t know what the solution is but I know the current model isn’t working. And it’s expensive.
It might not be nice to think about Hearts having their pick if the best 10 year olds but it might be nice to think we could use the money to bring in the best 19 year olds in the country every season.

davhibby
19-06-2020, 11:58 AM
It will be interesting to see, when the time comes, whether the academy is resumed as it was, or whether the club take the opportunity between now and then to totally remodel it seeing as we'll practically have a clean slate to work from. It could actually turn out to be a major opportunity for us.

That’s what I’ve been thinking. Ron had been speaking a lot about how he wanted us to be producing players through the academy, maybe he’s seeing this as a good cost cutting measure for this year but also a chance to get rid of what is clearly a failing system. Gives us a good chance to do it differently once this season is out of the way and hopefully get it right this time

hibsbollah
19-06-2020, 11:58 AM
I honestly don’t know what the solution is but I know the current model isn’t working. And it’s expensive.
It might not be nice to think about Hearts having their pick if the best 10 year olds but it might be nice to think we could use the money to bring in the best 19 year olds in the country every season.

Also needs to be remembered that the Brentford B team model isn’t specifically a youth set up, there are seasoned pros who can’t get first team action/recovering from injury in the B team as well.

MagicSwirlingShip
19-06-2020, 12:40 PM
Cutting our cloth temporarily to focus on the first team.

Once football is returned back to normal, so will we. Any suggestion of a Hibernian FC without a youth team presence and any focus on bringing through our own youth players is complete fantasy.

Fanforlife
19-06-2020, 12:45 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkupkeep of facilities would still be needed as it,s where first team and development squads are based. Only occasions when academy players use buses for away games are for games in Inverness and Dingwall, rest of away games players are taken to by parents by car.Only exception to this this season was games down south v Blackburn Rovers and Preston north end, the 2006 squad won both of there games down south, 8 0 in one and 6 1 in the other. These results suggest to me we are getting some things right,either that or English teams academys are in a lot worse state than ours.

Benji1
19-06-2020, 03:38 PM
Just to be clear guys the academy is definitely not being kaiboshed, media totally exaggerated the situation. There will be a delay in getting back to training but this is no different from other clubs.

HendoDelivered
19-06-2020, 03:47 PM
Motherwell mothballing their academy for the time being also.

Stonewall
20-06-2020, 01:20 PM

And their academy actually produces an end product.

Lots more cutting from other clubs to come.

I think we just got in first.

Alfred E Newman
20-06-2020, 01:34 PM
Given the lack of young talent produced by the Academy in recent years, we won't notice its gone.

Keith_M
20-06-2020, 01:42 PM
Was speaking to a neighbour yesterday who’s son is part of the youth academy. He’s heard that Leanne is unhappy about us dropping it and is apparently set to be offered a role at the Huns.

Just passing on what I’ve heard, neighbour has no reason to lie about it. He’s also a hibby.

He also stated there was supposed to be another zoom call with Graeme Mathie today but hadn’t heard a thing.

Wasn't that a 'story' from Kickback?

In the version I heard, there was some throwing of wine glasses and the call ended with Leeann shouting "No Surrender".

Stonewall
20-06-2020, 02:01 PM

And their academy actually produces an end product.

Lots more cutting from other clubs to come.

I think we just got in first.

H18 SFR
20-06-2020, 02:05 PM

In the version I heard, there was some throwing of wine glasses and the call ended with Leeann shouting "No Surrender".

Joking apart, if she goes, she goes. We then appoint a new CEO, it happens regularly in business.

I personally think she has been good to very good for us, however, I wouldn’t stress if she leaves, we simply move on.

blackpoolhibs
20-06-2020, 02:05 PM

Aww FFS not again? :greengrin

I'm Spartacus
21-06-2020, 11:31 PM
Everything outside the first team needs culled and reviewed as we go, to be honest, paying coaches to train kids under 15 is a waste of vital cash, let them play at the community clubs and then scout them from 15, having 12 year olds on contracts is just daft in Scotland.

Turkish Green
22-06-2020, 02:25 AM
Likely that all academies apart from the OF and the benefactorista will close either temporarily or for good. My lad suffered this twice at St Johnstone and Livi under JC. Tough times but necessary.

Turkish Green
22-06-2020, 02:32 AM
Given the lack of young talent produced by the Academy in recent years, we won't notice its gone.

Best example in recent years was Jason Cummings but he was not at academy. He came via Jams and Hutchie straight intp the EOS team.

HoboHarry
22-06-2020, 03:24 AM
So is Eddie May still on the staff throughout these changes?

mjhibby
22-06-2020, 03:41 AM
Everything outside the first team needs culled and reviewed as we go, to be honest, paying coaches to train kids under 15 is a waste of vital cash, let them play at the community clubs and then scout them from 15, having 12 year olds on contracts is just daft in Scotland.

I’m sure Ron said he was going to review all aspects of the club as most new owners do. Players coming through the system have dried up bar porteous so although the virus has forced our hand I’m sure it will give us time to work out the best way to run the youth system post virus.

HerbDailly
22-06-2020, 05:30 AM
So is Eddie May still on the staff throughout these changes?This what I want to know, it would be a strong indication of what we're thinking for the future either way I think.
If he's still there it could suggest things are mothballed, if he's away it could suggest things are shut down.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Alfred E Newman
22-06-2020, 08:28 AM
Best example in recent years was Jason Cummings but he was not at academy. He came via Jams and Hutchie straight intp the EOS team.

Porteous is obviously an exception but you more or less have to go back over 10 years to Hanlon and Stevenson to find the last young players to really break through. Unless I'm missing someone, its's a poor return for a costly investment.

Ozyhibby
22-06-2020, 08:54 AM
Porteous is obviously an exception but you more or less have to go back over 10 years to Hanlon and Stevenson to find the last young players to really break through. Unless I'm missing someone, its's a poor return for a costly investment.

I’m willing to give them Wotherspoon. 132 first team games and a solid premier league career. Although there has been nobody we have managed to sell for more than a nominal fee. That’s where the real failure has been and there seems to be no accountability.
Don’t think the academy even came up at the last agm. Eddie May seems bullet proof.

green day
22-06-2020, 09:22 AM
I’m willing to give them Wotherspoon. 132 first team games and a solid premier league career. Although there has been nobody we have managed to sell for more than a nominal fee. That’s where the real failure has been and there seems to be no accountability.
Don’t think the academy even came up at the last agm. Eddie May seems bullet proof.

Until now, presumably

Ozyhibby
22-06-2020, 10:01 AM
Until now, presumably

Who knows. Lots of rumours but no confirmation either way.

Clarence
22-06-2020, 10:22 AM
I have no first hand evidence but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a deliberate attempt to start afresh with the youth academy. We produce fewer successful footballers now than we did when the team trained at Wardie, having to dodge dog turds. I’m not saying that having to dodge dog turds is good for a footballers development but something isn’t right at the academy and I’m sure everybody thought that we would be seeing results 12 years on from opening.

bigwheel
22-06-2020, 10:34 AM
I have no first hand evidence but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a deliberate attempt to start afresh with the youth academy. We produce fewer successful footballers now than we did when the team trained at Wardie, having to dodge dog turds. I’m not saying that having to dodge dog turds is good for a footballers development but something isn’t right at the academy and I’m sure everybody thought that we would be seeing results 12 years on from opening.

Think that’s a decent analysis tbh...needs a complete restart...

green day
22-06-2020, 10:35 AM

A non scientific poll among mates says much the same.

We did think that - if this costs so much to run with so little return, perhaps we might be better to pick up the castoffs from better resourced youth systems (down south or Rangers/Celtic) instead of spending big on this.

Pagan Hibernia
22-06-2020, 10:44 AM
It’s a strange one. We won the youth cup and development league double a couple of years ago... so the academy can’t be all that bad.

but clearly the lack of players produced is disappointing.

it does need to be revamped, and overhauled ... but not binned

scotia44
22-06-2020, 11:00 AM
It’s a strange one. We won the youth cup and development league double a couple of years ago... so the academy can’t be all that bad.

I don't know
We unfortunately/fortunately have not been a position to promote academy players or give them a run out when we have had nothing to play for, due to either the 1st team playing in latter parts of competitions, cups or play offs or pressure to win important games top 4 last year
Relegation worries in the bottom 6 mean its unlikely you would play youngsters in that scenario unless it's not possible to happen (points clear of danger)

Hertz played youngster's in the late season they knew they were down.
We thankfully have not had that luxury which makes people think the academy are not producing
In the right circumstances with no pressure on either league positions cup comps or a managers head youth would normally get a chance imo.

ancient hibee
22-06-2020, 11:06 AM
Another point to bear in mind is that cutting back on the number of people going in and out of East Mains will greatly reduce the cost of trying to control the spread of the virus.

The Modfather
22-06-2020, 11:20 AM

Is the success of the youth team not a bit of a paradox? The players likely to make it are usually already promoted to the first team squad meaning the youth teams struggling often produce more players than the successful youth teams. Sure our youth team were bottom of the league during the golden generation as Brown, Thomson etc had all been promoted.

WestCoastHibby
22-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Very disappointed in current events with youth side of things.
Sadly though we've hardly produced a stream of talent that's broken through beyond being no more than loanees in recent years.

hibbysam
22-06-2020, 01:38 PM

I know you keep saying this, and just curious (I have absolutely no opinion either way in the man as I don’t know what he does or if he does it well etc) Eddie May came in back in 2014, less than 6 years ago. Considering the mess that was inherited, I’d say you are probably looking at between a year or two for he and George Craig, along with Leeann to sort East Mains out and put their structure on it, recruit their coaches, get rid of any old players and bring in their own etc.

That leaves 4/5 years. Are you really expecting to see results in that time? Only people who would have been sold by now would have been our development squad at that time, everyone else is too young. They obviously seen the gap and brought in the likes of Mackie and Gullan, the issue I’d have is if our under 16/17/18’s are still poor now, then criticism is deserved as that’s the group of players that would’ve been 10/11/12 when May came in.

To me, basing it on how many players have made the first team/been sold for money would be slightly daft at this point.

Happy to take criticism if I’ve missed a point, as I say I dunno the ins and outs of our academy and what’s been changed over that time, I just know May/Dempster/Craig inherited a mess from top to bottom that meant essentially starting from scratch.

Ozyhibby
22-06-2020, 11:05 PM
I know you keep saying this, and just curious (I have absolutely no opinion either way in the man as I don’t know what he does or if he does it well etc) Eddie May came in back in 2014, less than 6 years ago. Considering the mess that was inherited, I’d say you are probably looking at between a year or two for he and George Craig, along with Leeann to sort East Mains out and put their structure on it, recruit their coaches, get rid of any old players and bring in their own etc.

That leaves 4/5 years. Are you really expecting to see results in that time? Only people who would have been sold by now would have been our development squad at that time, everyone else is too young. They obviously seen the gap and brought in the likes of Mackie and Gullan, the issue I’d have is if our under 16/17/18’s are still poor now, then criticism is deserved as that’s the group of players that would’ve been 10/11/12 when May came in.

To me, basing it on how many players have made the first team/been sold for money would be slightly daft at this point.

Happy to take criticism if I’ve missed a point, as I say I dunno the ins and outs of our academy and what’s been changed over that time, I just know May/Dempster/Craig inherited a mess from top to bottom that meant essentially starting from scratch.

I don’t have any knowledge on May to say he is doing a good or bad job other than the fact that he is not producing players.
Anecdotally I hear that the coaching at Hearts is rated higher but I don’t know if that’s reliable or not.
When Eddie May was interviewed for the job I doubt he said that in about 6 years time I will have produced 1 first team player. By any metric it looks as if he is failing at his job.
I’ve never met the guy and wish him no ill will but I don’t understand why he still here with the record he has?
Much like I didn’t understand Mathie’s promotion recently when recruitment has been so bad.
Maybe the pandemic is the perfect time for a complete reboot?

MagicSwirlingShip
23-06-2020, 01:12 AM
I don’t have any knowledge on May to say he is doing a good or bad job other than the fact that he is not producing players.
Anecdotally I hear that the coaching at Hearts is rated higher but I don’t know if that’s reliable or not.
When Eddie May was interviewed for the job I doubt he said that in about 6 years time I will have produced 1 first team player. By any metric it looks as if he is failing at his job.
I’ve never met the guy and wish him no ill will but I don’t understand why he still here with the record he has?
Much like I didn’t understand Mathie’s promotion recently when recruitment has been so bad.
Maybe the pandemic is the perfect time for a complete reboot?

Mathie was responsible for recruiting most of our Scottish Cup winning team. He earned his promotion

Fanforlife
23-06-2020, 10:56 AM
Over on keekback they now have a thread in regards to looting and pillaging other academys for players, do these mutants no realise that all academys aren't training etc at the present moment 🤣 ffs their first team aren't allowed to train just now never mind academy players!!🤣🤣

w pilton hibby
25-06-2020, 07:34 AM
A bit more detail from Leeann -

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/leeann-dempster-hibs-are-not-binning-their-youth-academy-2894558

green day
25-06-2020, 08:02 AM
A bit more detail from Leeann -

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/leeann-dempster-hibs-are-not-binning-their-youth-academy-2894558

The press release that came out in Rons name left a number of questions unanswered at the time, and allowed some commentators to reach certain conclusions.

Had we been as clear as Ron has in his videos, and LD has in the last 24 hours, none of that would have happened.

There are PR lessons to be learned from this situation.

B.H.F.C
25-06-2020, 08:16 AM
The press release that came out in Rons name left a number of questions unanswered at the time, and allowed some commentators to reach certain conclusions.

Had we been as clear as Ron has in his videos, and LD has in the last 24 hours, none of that would have happened.

Maybe it’s not just the club the need to learn some lessons. Some of the hysteria around the statement last Monday was ridiculous IMO.

At the time of the original statement they were just entering consultation and perhaps didn’t have all the answers. They probably still don’t. But as soon as the Daily Record jumped on it, people were all of a sudden believing that we’d be selling everyone, signing no one and scrapping everything. None of that was ever going to happen.

Kato
25-06-2020, 08:17 AM

There are PR lessons to be learned from this situation.Still, it helped fill in 10 minutes of Sportsound last week when they tore themselves away from the "tragic" circumstances Hearts find themselves in to rip into Hibs for "abandoning " the youth structure. Steven Thomson was very upset.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
25-06-2020, 08:20 AM

The media staff were all furloughed until this week, not sure how many are back now

ancient hibee
25-06-2020, 10:55 AM
It's perfectly clear that, as well as the cost factor,health and safety at ET is a major worry and keeping the numbers there down is essential.

Greenworld
26-06-2020, 03:46 PM
Im assuming Eddie May has made redundant from his role .
I wondered about someone for this role going forward and thought Donald park would be a great appointment .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Peevemor
26-06-2020, 03:55 PM
I wondered about someone for this role going forward and thought Donald park would be a great appointment .

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using TapatalkI think Donald's at Hearts part time.

Anyway, he's 66 now - not an age to be starting a new job.

Ozyhibby
26-06-2020, 04:33 PM
I think Donald's at Hearts part time.

Pretty sure he’s retired now.

Billy Whizz
26-06-2020, 04:54 PM
Pretty sure he’s retired now.

He was doing some work for Hearts when Levein was sacked

Greenworld
26-06-2020, 04:56 PM

Anyway, he's 66 now - not an age to be starting a new job.Didn't think he was so old ah well back to the drawing board. Alan stubbs lots of experience at everton

bigwheel
26-06-2020, 04:56 PM
He was doing some work for Hearts when Levein was sacked

Also think he still does work for sfa

Billy Whizz
26-06-2020, 05:00 PM

Not sure if he is or not, the Academy will open again at some stage

Ozyhibby
26-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Not sure if he is or not, the Academy will open again at some stage

Whether or not May comes back, hopefully there is a full review of what the academy is doing and how it can improve. There has to be an improvement in its output of players going forward.

The dalmeny
27-06-2020, 09:22 AM

that’s quite ageist

we are hibs
27-06-2020, 09:41 AM
What happened to John Park?

Peevemor
27-06-2020, 09:44 AM
that’s quite ageistI would say realistic.

Brightside
27-06-2020, 10:00 AM
I would say realistic.

Not even retirement age now.

Peevemor
27-06-2020, 10:06 AM
Not even retirement age now.I understand that, but if we were to bin Eddie May to replace him with someone to study and put a new long term youth strategy in place, it should be somebody younger than Donald Park (who's a friend of 40 years) IMO.

Lago
27-06-2020, 10:08 AM
Not even retirement age now.
Yip I'd love to be 66 again, was in my pomp then. Can't be bothered with folk that right people off at that age. 😠

Peevemor
27-06-2020, 10:18 AM
Yip I'd love to be 66 again, was in my pomp then. Can't be bothered with folk that right people off at that age. [emoji34]I wasn't writing anyone off. Last I heard Donald had retired from his post at the SFA and was happy working part time for Hearts.

If we were looking to take someone on for such a key post, we'd want somebody that'll stay 3-5 years, hopefully longer if it works. Somebody at 67 years old (next month) wouldn't fit the bill for me.

Lago
27-06-2020, 11:03 AM
I wasn't writing anyone off. Last I heard Donald had retired from his post at the SFA and was happy working part time for Hearts.

If we were looking to take someone on for such a key post, we'd want somebody that'll stay 3-5 years, hopefully longer if it works. Somebody at 67 years old (next month) wouldn't fit the bill for me.
Just as well your not the owner of Crystal Palace.

Peevemor
27-06-2020, 11:23 AM
Just as well your not the owner of Crystal Palace.That wouldn't be allowed in France where clubs aren't allowed to employ coaches/managers over 65 years old (although I think those already in place can stay).

Guy Roux the former Auxerre manager and a huge personality in French football wasn't allowed to start a new job at Lens (Jimmy Boco's former club) because he was too old at 67.

Iggy Pope
27-06-2020, 11:23 AM
From what I gather, irrespective of his age, Donald Park‘s involvement in Hearts set up makes him sound a cantankerous ****. Old school approach it seems.

Peevemor
27-06-2020, 12:23 PM
From what I gather, irrespective of his age, Donald Park‘s involvement in Hearts set up makes him sound a cantankerous ****. Old school approach it seems.I don't know about his football/coaching outlook, but he's always been torn faced.

Billy Whizz
27-06-2020, 12:44 PM
I don't know about his football/coaching outlook, but he's always been torn faced.

He did play in 0-7 game, maybe still suffering from it

Kato
27-06-2020, 12:48 PM
He did play in 0-7 game, maybe still suffering from it

His debut, I think. There's an article in the Pink from the week before with him doing a "bring it on" type hype. Hibs obliged go course.

oneone73
27-06-2020, 12:52 PM
His debut, I think. There's an article in the Pink from the week before with him doing a "bring it on" type hype. Hibs obliged go course.

Wasn't it Jim Jeffries's debut? I may have got that wrong

Billy Whizz
27-06-2020, 12:53 PM
Wasn't it Jim Jeffries's debut? I may have got that wrong

He played, but don’t know if it was his debut or not

Lago
27-06-2020, 12:54 PM
That wouldn't be allowed in France where clubs aren't allowed to employ coaches/managers over 65 years old (although I think those already in place can stay).

Guy Roux the former Auxerre manager and a huge personality in French football wasn't allowed to start a new job at Lens (Jimmy Boco's former club) because he was too old at 67.
Supprised that's not been challenged

Peevemor
27-06-2020, 12:56 PM
Donald's debut was against Arbroath in October 72.

Peevemor
27-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Supprised that's not been challengedFrom what I remember Lens did challenge it and during the appeal he was in charge for 4 matches. However, results were crap and I think it suited everyone to just let it drop.

I don't know if the rule's still in place, but I remember following the goings on at the time.

Kato
27-06-2020, 01:50 PM
Donald's debut was against Arbroath in October 72.Fair do's, i knew he was a new arrival. Article must have referred to his first derby.

The article in the Pink the following week about how Hibs were lucky and the result would act as a springboard for Hearts to go up the League is even funnier.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

HendoDelivered
27-06-2020, 02:18 PM
What happened to John Park?

Is he not a scout at Celtic still?

SiinDubai
28-06-2020, 10:14 AM
Is he not a scout at Celtic still?

I think he left Celtic when Brendan Roger's was appointed.
He was spotted a couple of times at Easter Road since in the directors box with Rod Petrie.
In the time he was at Celtic they signed some very good players that they eventually moved on for a fair bit of cash.

Fanforlife
16-07-2020, 03:17 PM
If Scotland,s response in handling this virus remains as at present,then academy kids have been told training will resume in August with games starting again in September. Wonder what the Media will have to say in regards to this?

Fanforlife
30-07-2020, 07:36 AM
Academy kids start back training at East Mains on Monday 3/8/20.😁

Keith_M
30-07-2020, 07:40 AM

How dare you post something positive about Hibs!!!!

You should be permanently banned from this site.

04Sauzee
30-07-2020, 07:55 AM

I'm sure this will be splashed all over the press shortly.

Thanks for sharing some positive news it's appreciated

Brightside
30-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Great news. That information hasn’t gone out to all the academy.

Fanforlife
30-07-2020, 08:23 AM
Great news. That information hasn’t gone out to all the academy.
My daughter phoned to tell me this last night in regards to grandson,s team ,he plays for the 06 squad, perhaps its being staggered for other age groups?

Pagan Hibernia
30-07-2020, 10:21 AM

impossible. I read on a maroon coloured website that our academy had been binned by Ron the con.

Fanforlife
30-07-2020, 10:57 AM
impossible. I read on a maroon coloured website that our academy had been binned by Ron the con.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Radium
04-08-2020, 08:04 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200804/911d4d2c39c33e6438a1abd4063d6860.jpg

Andymac85
04-08-2020, 08:52 PM
I refuse to accept this is correct until I hear it from Tom ‘the fountain of all knowledge’ English.

Tambo
04-08-2020, 09:02 PM
Does anyone have any more information on Amir's khans nephew? Googled him now and only find the stories when he signed for us in 2016.

Stuart93
04-08-2020, 10:40 PM
Interesting that there’s been no media coverage regarding this? After all, they were quick in telling us we were scrapping our academy altogether.

It’s about time the club stood up for themselves against these ****s.

Brightside
04-08-2020, 10:44 PM
Does anyone have any more information on Amir's khans nephew? Googled him now and only find the stories when he signed for us in 2016.

Great wee player. Used to play CM for Lochend as a boy. I've not seen him in person for a while but he was small and tenacious. Hibs turned him into a full back last i heard. Amir came to training once and had a great night with the kids. He will be 15 i think now.

Vault Boy
04-08-2020, 10:55 PM
Interesting that there’s been no media coverage regarding this? After all, they were quick in telling us we were scrapping our academy altogether.

:agree:

Very telling.

MagicSwirlingShip
04-08-2020, 10:57 PM
Mathie posted the tweet 3 hours ago.

If I were in charge of Hibs TV I’d have had the cameras there showing the academy back. Don’t let the weegie rags control the narrative.

jacomo
05-08-2020, 06:43 AM
I refuse to accept this is correct until I hear it from Tom ‘the fountain of all knowledge’ English.

Where does Scottish football go from here? It’s all so unfair.

lucky
05-08-2020, 08:20 AM
Great news, so the Youth teams are back, the redundancy issue has went very quiet, Kit man seen in his gear. It does seem a lot of nonsense has been written about Hibs.

MyJo
05-08-2020, 09:09 AM
Great news, so the Youth teams are back, the redundancy issue has went very quiet, Kit man seen in his gear. It does seem a lot of nonsense has been written about Hibs.

Seems likely that we entered the consultation period to consider cutbacks but various factors probably meant the deep cuts predicted by so many were not needed.

The strong season ticket sales, money from HSL and projected income from PPV streaming and fans coming back to stadiums by October against the savings made in operational costs while playing behind closed doors (stewarding, catering, hospitality staff etc) probably means we were able to keep cutbacks to non-footballing areas of the business only

Since452
05-08-2020, 09:18 AM
Hopefully Oneleagueback can confirm. Won't believe it until I read it on there

04Sauzee
05-08-2020, 02:22 PM
Arsenal announce intention to make 55 members of staff redundant due to coronavirus crisis https://t.co/JELRKHkHjc

Hibs90
05-08-2020, 02:47 PM
Arsenal announce intention to make 55 members of staff redundant due to coronavirus crisis https://t.co/JELRKHkHjc

That's actually horrendous from a top 6 club in the richest league in the world, with a billionaire owner and players on hundreds of thousands a week and by all accounts about to sign a player on 200k a week. I hope the 55 staff tell them to ram it. A club like us you can understand but with the finances that go around down south between owners and tv and clubs themselves that is piss poor.

ancient hibee
05-08-2020, 03:21 PM

Seems likely that we entered the consultation period to consider cutbacks but various factors probably meant the deep cuts predicted by so many were not needed.

The strong season ticket sales, money from HSL and projected income from PPV streaming and fans coming back to stadiums by October against the savings made in operational costs while playing behind closed doors (stewarding, catering, hospitality staff etc) probably means we were able to keep cutbacks to non-footballing areas of the business only
But Kris Commons says we are going to have to sell Martin Boyle for £250,000 because we’re in financial trouble.Surely he couldn’t be trying to stir things up?

lyonhibs
05-08-2020, 06:41 PM
Interesting that there’s been no media coverage regarding this? After all, they were quick in telling us we were scrapping our academy altogether.It’s about time the club stood up for themselves against these ****s.Who really cares? They were, as usual, wrong, we rise above it and carry on.

Kaff
05-08-2020, 08:30 PM
That's actually horrendous from a top 6 club in the richest league in the world, with a billionaire owner and players on hundreds of thousands a week and by all accounts about to sign a player on 200k a week. I hope the 55 staff tell them to ram it. A club like us you can understand but with the finances that go around down south between owners and tv and clubs themselves that is piss poor.

Agree with the sentiment of your post but not sure what the 55 can tell Arsenal to ram?
With these situations, as we've seen up here too, one club makes an announcement and it's news but soon after other clubs are following suit, there's bound to be more that follow this and all across the leisure industry I'm sure

The 90+2
05-08-2020, 08:39 PM
Is TMc definitely back?