PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Rashford

Pretty Boy
16-06-2020, 04:06 PM
Given some of the bad press footballers, particularly in the EPL, have had in recent months and the way they have been scapegoated by the govt I think this guy deserves a huge well done:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53065806

Of course he wasn't alone in bringing about this change of policy but he used his profile to support a very worthy cause.

Biggie
16-06-2020, 04:08 PM
Absolutely, good on him....

Lago
16-06-2020, 04:14 PM
Given some of the bad press footballers, particularly in the EPL, have had in recent months and the way they have been scapegoated by the govt I think this guy deserves a huge well done:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53065806

Of course he wasn't alone in bringing about this change of policy but he used his profile to support a very worthy cause.
Fine young man, so calm & articulate when arguing his cause. Well done. :aok:

Since452
16-06-2020, 04:23 PM
Fantastic to be honest. Well done him.

Danderhall Hibs
16-06-2020, 04:35 PM
Excellent stuff. I disagree when folk say footballers are role models (mainly when they do something “bad”) but this guy definitely is one. Only 22 years old - amazing 👏 👏

Bostonhibby
16-06-2020, 04:35 PM
Very impressive young guy. Good on him.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

hfc rd
16-06-2020, 04:41 PM
An absolute role model and a top bloke

hibsbollah
16-06-2020, 04:57 PM
Fantastic.

Both sides of the house of commons falling over themselves to credit him individually, trying to get some sort of reflected glory. That’s real power. Not to mention the ability to directly help 1.2million British kids.

I particularly liked his openness in describing his own family’s poverty growing up. He’s addressing a big stigma right there just by talking about it.

The Baldmans Comb
16-06-2020, 04:57 PM
I had barely heard of this footballer and hadn't realized he was such high profile but what a credit he is to his profession and his family.

Its hard to see why England were so out of step on this policy but good to see it being rectified.

Vault Boy
16-06-2020, 05:01 PM
What a guy.

Keith_M
16-06-2020, 05:03 PM
Not meaning to sound overly critical but; was it actually his campaign or was it something started by somebody else, brought to his attention and he then Tweeted about it?

MWHIBBIES
16-06-2020, 05:05 PM
Premier League footballers in general have been excellent throughout this.

MWHIBBIES
16-06-2020, 05:06 PM
Not meaning to sound overly critical but; was it actually his campaign or was it something started by somebody else, brought to his attention and he then Tweeted about it?

No, he's been doing a lot of work in this area for a good few years now.

Keith_M
16-06-2020, 05:08 PM
No, he's been doing a lot of work in this area for a good few years now.

Thanks for clarifying. :aok:

I know The Children's Society were campaigning for this as well, and there were also some Tory Backbenchers doing the same.

It's nice to see some people actually care about those that are struggling.

Scouse Hibee
16-06-2020, 05:10 PM
Thanks for clarifying. :aok:

I know The Children's Society were campaigning for this as well, and there were also some Tory Backbenchers doing the same.

It's nice to see some people actually care about those that are struggling.

His was on TV last night and recalled his own mother’s struggles as a single parent with four children and how he often went to bed hungry.

hibsbollah
16-06-2020, 05:19 PM
Premier League footballers in general have been excellent throughout this.

:agree: Jordan Henderson seems to be have been tireless in raising money during Covid. Yes it should be the governments job to fund the NHS, but you can’t criticise the impact.

ACLeith
16-06-2020, 05:33 PM
He now has wealth beyond his wildest dreams growing up. But remembers his roots and speaks out about them. Lifts your spirits to hear of this. But I still hope he misses open goals when he gets back playing for his country - sorry Scouse!!

Scouse Hibee
16-06-2020, 05:46 PM
He now has wealth beyond his wildest dreams growing up. But remembers his roots and speaks out about them. Lifts your spirits to hear of this. But I still hope he misses open goals when he gets back playing for his country - sorry Scouse!!

Don’t be sorry, as much as I admire what he has done, I hope he has a nightmare for his club every week. 😁

Killiehibbie
16-06-2020, 05:54 PM
I know a couple of people who know him and they say he's still the same boy. More money than he could ever have dreamt of but very sincere in wanting to make a difference. It would be easy for him just to fund a charity but better to use his fame to raise awareness.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2020, 06:05 PM
Just came across this story as well:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tribuna.com/amp/manutd/en/news/2020-03-05-marcus-rashford-signs-up-for-sign-language-lessons-after-young-united-fan-asks-him-to-hos/

What a really nice man.

Aldo
16-06-2020, 07:00 PM
Superb stuff from this young man.

Then that ****ing boot Hopkins stirs the ****.

She really is the **** of the earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibeesmad
16-06-2020, 07:11 PM
Fantastic stuff from Rashford, the government asked players to do their bit throughout this pandemic and a lot of them have done just that.

brianmc
16-06-2020, 07:15 PM
Superb stuff from this young man.

Then that ****ing boot Hopkins stirs the ****.

She really is the **** of the earth.

Personally I thought Rashford's response to her was clear, concise and 100% correct.

Aldo
16-06-2020, 07:15 PM
Personally I thought Rashford's response to her was clear, concise and 100% correct.

It was as was a good number of his followers including Man City!

Scouse Hibee
16-06-2020, 07:38 PM

Some people suggesting that wasn’t his real account that replied according to my son?

The 90+2
16-06-2020, 07:40 PM
Top guy. Great representation of English football taking football clubs out of it:

The 90+2
16-06-2020, 07:42 PM
Fantastic stuff from Rashford, the government asked players to do their bit throughout this pandemic and a lot of them have done just that.

Thing is, he’s clearly done it because he empathises with millions regardless of how much he’s paid. That’s humbling.

CropleyWasGod
16-06-2020, 07:45 PM

Sadly, it wasn't him.

brianmc
16-06-2020, 10:11 PM
Ah well, I still agree with the sentiment!

Onceinawhile
16-06-2020, 10:18 PM
Top lad. That's what it should be about.

Good person first, good footballer second.

weecounty hibby
17-06-2020, 06:16 AM
I have been very critical of him as a footballer in the past. But as a caring human being there can be no criticism. Well done Marcus.

Johnny_Leith
17-06-2020, 07:11 AM
Probably a reason nobody can explain the reason of keeping politics out of football/sport. Been conditioned to think football's an escape, and in many ways it is but politicians/governing bodies don't want footballers to have a voice due to their immense platform with the public.

Look at what Rashfords done with his platform. Fantastic stuff and really making a difference to people's lives.

Hibeesmad
17-06-2020, 07:22 AM
Health Secretary giving him a mention live on TV and can't even get his name right.. called him Daniel Rashford.

jacomo
17-06-2020, 07:55 AM
Probably a reason nobody can explain the reason of keeping politics out of football/sport. Been conditioned to think football's an escape, and in many ways it is but politicians/governing bodies don't want footballers to have a voice due to their immense platform with the public.

Look at what Rashfords done with his platform. Fantastic stuff and really making a difference to people's lives.

:agree:

There is a consistent theme with those who claim this isn’t a time for politics, or specifically that football should somehow be kept separate from politics.

It’s all about the government avoiding awkward questions.

Pleas from poor people fell on deaf ears, despite UK government claiming it would support people through this crisis. Then a high profile footballer steps in (well done him) and all of a sudden there’s a U turn.

Phil MaGlass
17-06-2020, 09:08 AM
Wasnt only Rashford though, Welsh minister and Sturgeon came oot and said their kids would be getting free lunches, that put even more pressure on the Tory govt. Nothing said on the ebc though, seems it was all Rashfords doing, but, well done him.

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2020, 09:14 AM
Wasnt only Rashford though, Welsh minister and Sturgeon came oot and said their kids would be getting free lunches, that put even more pressure on the Tory govt. Nothing said on the ebc though, seems it was all Rashfords doing, but, well done him.

Yes that’s correct but Rashford used his profile to provide a platform that ensured the plea would be heard.

Keith_M
17-06-2020, 09:14 AM
It's a bit of a **** world where it needs a celebrity fronted campaign (however well intentioned) to shame a government into doing the right thing.

I can't help thinking that a lot of the media now praising him wouldn't have shown the same level of interest in a campaign not fronted by somebody famous.

The government are now claiming that it wasn't a U-Turn and that they weren't shamed into this, but I don't think many people are falling for that.

-- Just to clarify that this is in no way an attack on Rashford, as the lad seems to have a level of care and compassion that is sadly lacking in those in charge.

hibsbollah
17-06-2020, 10:10 AM
Health Secretary giving him a mention live on TV and can't even get his name right.. called him Daniel Rashford.

Tory MP for NW Durham on Emma Barnett show just now called him ‘Martin Rashford’. It’s not difficult FFS.

SNP guy on the same show just called him ‘Marcus Rashcliff’.

There must be a bet going on.

The Tubs
17-06-2020, 02:31 PM
I came across this article that put the media response to Rashford into some context:

https://sourcenews.scot/the-limits-of-tory-divide-and-rule/

Jim44
17-06-2020, 04:28 PM
Hopkins is an ugly fascist c*w. ......... ugliness is much more than skin deep.

jacomo
18-06-2020, 01:18 PM
Hopkins is an ugly fascist c*w. ......... ugliness is much more than skin deep.

She needs to be ignored. Do not feed the troll.

MrRobot
18-06-2020, 01:56 PM
cannot praise the guy highly enough, outstanding what he has done.