PDA

View Full Version : Houchy

HNA1
11-06-2020, 04:17 PM
I know a lot of members on here will know Houchy (Lawrence Stewart), who organised the longest day golfing event which many on here took part in.

If you know Lawrence's story, you'll know he's fought and won many, many battles with cancer over the years. Sadly, Lawrence isn't doing too well at the moment and our attention has been brought to a Gofundme page set up by his daughters.

I'm sure everyone in the Hibs.net community wishes Lawrence and his family all the best, and if you'd like to contribute, the link is below.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-for-the-children-of-cancer-patients?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet

Frazerbob
11-06-2020, 04:26 PM
Houchy sounds like an incredible guy and that’s clearly rubbed off on his daughter. He must be very proud. Small donation made, wish I could afford more. GGTTH

Vault Boy
11-06-2020, 06:13 PM
Such a heartbreaking story. Incredible strength and ability from Lawrence, and his daughter in starting this fundraiser. Here's hoping it gets plenty of backing.

bingo70
11-06-2020, 06:37 PM
Gutted to hear this.

Know Lawrence (not particularly well but someone I’d always stop and speak to if I saw him at Easter road) and he’s a really nice guy.

I knew about his health problems in the past but I’d hoped they were all behind him.

Will make a small donation to a very good cause.

matty_f
11-06-2020, 06:46 PM
Know Lawrence from many years working beside him at the bank, he's a great guy. Happy to donate to this, it must be awful for his family.

The 90+2
11-06-2020, 06:51 PM
That’s heartbreaking. Donation on its way.

Good luck Lawrence and family. God Bless.

DaveF
11-06-2020, 07:39 PM
Saddened to read that and a donation made.

Strength to you all.

scottish_sleepy
11-06-2020, 07:43 PM
Like Matty I know Lawrence very well from working beside him for years. Absolutely fantastic day with an amazingly positive attitude. I remember talking to him years ago about what seemed like his never ending battle with various cancers and asked him where he found the strength to keep fighting. His answer was very simple. He said "I've got daughters to live for. I can't die yet". Had me blubbering like a fool later when I got home. If anyone can pull through this one more time I'd put my money on Lawrence.

HibeeSince85
11-06-2020, 09:08 PM
I remember his story well and on occasions found myself wondering how he was doing. It is incredibly sad that he is not doing so well now but I’m glad that he fought for so long. Keep fighting buddy!

mim
11-06-2020, 09:29 PM
A great lad and very helpful to me in the past.
A small donation made.
God bless Lawrence

Green-Hibee-7
11-06-2020, 10:46 PM
What an inspirational guy.

As someone who’s got a family member who is now “living with cancer” rather than being able to ever fully cure it, he’s really given me a bit of hope about the benefits of a positive and active attitude.

Pretty Boy
12-06-2020, 02:57 PM
The admins have made a small donation on behalf of the site to support a guy who was a long time and valued poster on here.

DaveF
12-06-2020, 03:03 PM
The admins have made a small donation on behalf of the site to support a guy who was a long time and valued poster on here.

Well done. Lovely to see a generous donation from the Hanlon Stevenson foundation too.

The Hibs Family in action.

Sylar
12-06-2020, 08:00 PM
I'm genuinely absolutely devastated to read this. I was thinking about him just the other day.

I golfed alongside Lawrence on our .net Longest Day, and was utterly amazed over the course of helping to organise that day in hearing more about his story. The guy is a complete gentleman, and what we accomplished as a website/community that day in undertaking that task will live with me forever. His determination to expand the event to include as many people as possible was awesome - he had so many innovative ideas for fundraising and managed to get a number of Premier League clubs involved in supporting our Longest Day through raffle prizes etc (even Sevco donated something to our cause) - he worked so tirelessly in setting things up and the amount we raised was largely down to his endeavours and willingness to tell his story and inspire others. Including getting Hibs involved, and getting us the opportunity to meet Yogi Hughes and some of the first team players at the time for photos at East Mains, which added to the publicity for the event.

As the going got tough in the final round, the immense pride and satisfaction on his face when we walked toward the 72nd hole at Dalmahoy was unmistakable. And make no mistake, despite his fights over the years and his self-confessed lack of fitness, it was him that pulled the lot of us over the finish line with his encouragement and drive.

I have nothing but respect for a man who fights and fights the way he has, and will undoubtedly continue to do. Credit to the site admin for making a donation - I'll do so privately, too.

I don't know if you'll read this or not Lawrence, but I wish you and your family nothing but love and best wishes.

S.

Lancs Harp
12-06-2020, 08:37 PM
I'm genuinely absolutely devastated to read this. I was thinking about him just the other day.

I golfed alongside Lawrence on our .net Longest Day, and was utterly amazed over the course of helping to organise that day in hearing more about his story. The guy is a complete gentleman, and what we accomplished as a website/community that day in undertaking that task will live with me forever. His determination to expand the event to include as many people as possible was awesome - he had so many innovative ideas for fundraising and managed to get a number of Premier League clubs involved in supporting our Longest Day through raffle prizes etc (even Sevco donated something to our cause) - he worked so tirelessly in setting things up and the amount we raised was largely down to his endeavours and willingness to tell his story and inspire others. Including getting Hibs involved, and getting us the opportunity to meet Yogi Hughes and some of the first team players at the time for photos at East Mains, which added to the publicity for the event.

As the going got tough in the final round, the immense pride and satisfaction on his face when we walked toward the 72nd hole at Dalmahoy was unmistakable. And make no mistake, despite his fights over the years and his self-confessed lack of fitness, it was him that pulled the lot of us over the finish line with his encouragement and drive.

I have nothing but respect for a man who fights and fights the way he has, and will undoubtedly continue to do. Credit to the site admin for making a donation - I'll do so privately, too.

I don't know if you'll read this or not Lawrence, but I wish you and your family nothing but love and best wishes.

S.

Very touching mate.

Jonnyboy
12-06-2020, 08:44 PM
So sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed Houchy's posts on here.

Smalol donation made

vein
12-06-2020, 09:31 PM

That’s brilliant from the Admin team, well done.

I would find it hard to add anything that hasn’t already been said above, Lawrence truly is a great guy. I met him at the games but I’m sure it was during our first conversation in BTG that we sussed out we both posted on here, this was the pre smart phone days so it felt like a rarer occurrence back then to meet another Hibs.net poster :-)

Anyway if you or the family look in Lawrence then Dave and Lynsey send their love mate.

HNA1
16-06-2020, 12:29 AM
Bump