PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Supporters email

linlithgowhibbie
10-06-2020, 09:46 PM
Hibernian Supporters UpdateI write today to give a brief update on things during this unprecedented period.
Email just received from HS.

We are delighted to note that despite the difficult circumstances, our Members have continued to make generous donations. As many will recall in our communication in January we made it clear that all donations made after that date would simply be passed on to the Club. I am delighted to confirm that since the takeover last year our Members have donated the total of £125,977.39 to the Club to help out during this difficult period. On behalf of all of your Directors we wish to say a huge thank you to all of our donators who have and continue to donate to the cause. For the moment, all money donated to Hibernian Supporters will be passed to the Club to do just that, support our Club.

Please feel free to pass this email on to any other supporter who may wish to help and is in a position to do so. Please remind them that this is not about shares at the moment and that any donation made to us will be passed to the Club. Indeed, donators do not even have to pursue Membership of Hibernian Supporters and can simply tick a box to indicate donation only. Please go to https://hiberniansupporters.co.uk/donate/ (https://hiberniansupporters.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6dd0f65fc0d014db190f17685&id=c5bc633a3e&e=06749de095)

You have not heard from us recently as we wanted to respect everyone’s desire to concentrate on much more important matters however we will be writing again shortly about the 3rd strip. Once again, thank you so much for your generosity.

James Adie
Chairman

Pagan Hibernia
10-06-2020, 09:52 PM
Good numbers.

I for one am still not happy that HSL can’t buy shares any more (it’s reason for existence in the first place) but that’s a decent sum handed over to the club.

Gerard
10-06-2020, 10:09 PM
Good numbers.

I for one am still not happy that HSL can’t buy shares any more (it’s reason for existence in the first place) but that’s a decent sum handed over to the club.

There are many people who share that view and I am one of them. HSL can not accept any shares that share holders would like to give to them. I look forward to the next HS AGM.

jacomo
10-06-2020, 10:16 PM
There are many people who share that view and I am one of them. HSL can not accept any shares that share holders would like to give to them. I look forward to the next HS AGM.

Are you sure HSL cannot accept any shares? Not even as a gift?

Gerard
10-06-2020, 10:27 PM
Are you sure HSL cannot accept any shares? Not even as a gift?
Yes at the time of posting Hibs shareholders can not transfer their shares to HS. This issue was raised at the AGM and the sutuation has not changed.

Andy74
10-06-2020, 10:35 PM

You have to recognise that the new owner has sunk significant cash in and the club is in a much better position overall. Diluting his shareholding after he has improved the position is not going to be very attractive to him.

I don’t see much point in gifting shares to HSL. The club doesn’t get more money and the shares were in the hands of a Hibs supporter anyway.

Gerard
10-06-2020, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=Andy74;6199648]You have to recognise that the new owner has sunk significant cash in and the club is in a much better position overall. Diluting his shareholding after he has improved the position is not going to be very attractive to him.

I don’t see much point in gifting shares to HSL. The club doesn’t get more money and the shares were in the hands of a Hibs supporter anyway.[/QUOTE

Interesting points. The previous Hibs BODs permitted HS to receive shares from other share holders. My concern is what potentially happens when Mr Gordon sells his shares. If HS can increase its share holding to 25.1 % it gives me and other people reassurance that it safeguards the clubs future.
Mr Gordon has the opportunity to have the help of many Hibs fans if he will walk the journey together
Working together is IMO more productive than taking the journey alone.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-06-2020, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the update. Can you confirm whether the donation to the club is considered a charitable donation and as such (in my understanding) not subject to VAT and eligible for gift aid? Therefore (if this is the case) the most efficient way or injecting cash into the club? If so perhaps is this was more widely appreciated supporters would see it as the best means of helping the club in cash/benefit terms.

CropleyWasGod
11-06-2020, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the update. Can you confirm whether the donation to the club is considered a charitable donation and as such (in my understanding) not subject to VAT and eligible for gift aid? Therefore (if this is the case) the most efficient way or injecting cash into the club? If so perhaps is this was more widely appreciated supporters would see it as the best means of helping the club in cash/benefit terms.

It isn't eligible for Gift Aid. Hibs aren't a charity.

I'd doubt it would be subject to VAT.

Daniel 1875
11-06-2020, 07:25 AM

It’s not subject to VAT. That’s the key difference between HS and a membership scheme like AberDNA or MyGers. As soon as Hibernian Supporters or the club start to offer ‘extras’ or incentives then the sum transferred from HS to Hibs would be subject to VAT.

Andy74
11-06-2020, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=Andy74;6199648]You have to recognise that the new owner has sunk significant cash in and the club is in a much better position overall. Diluting his shareholding after he has improved the position is not going to be very attractive to him.

I don’t see much point in gifting shares to HSL. The club doesn’t get more money and the shares were in the hands of a Hibs supporter anyway.[/QUOTE

Interesting points. The previous Hibs BODs permitted HS to receive shares from other share holders. My concern is what potentially happens when Mr Gordon sells his shares. If HS can increase its share holding to 25.1 % it gives me and other people reassurance that it safeguards the clubs future.
Mr Gordon has the opportunity to have the help of many Hibs fans if he will walk the journey together

I honestly don't think that's worth worrying about too much - the shares are in the hands of Hibs supporters.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-06-2020, 05:03 PM
It isn't eligible for Gift Aid. Hibs aren't a charity.

I'd doubt it would be subject to VAT.

Thanks only asked as benny factors donation to the SPFL the spokeswoman mentioned gift aid. Which caught my attention.

greenginger
11-06-2020, 05:15 PM
One wee blip.

At the bottom of the email it gives the mailing address as

12 Albion Terrace

I’m pretty sure they mean the clubs address at. 12 Albion Place

CropleyWasGod
11-06-2020, 05:22 PM
Thanks only asked as benny factors donation to the SPFL the spokeswoman mentioned gift aid. Which caught my attention.

The donation isn't to the SPFL itself. It's to the SPFL Trust, which is a charity. That way, he and they can claim Gift Aid.

Daniel 1875
12-06-2020, 09:49 AM
Email today confirming the third kit is set to be available in September - Covid and prioritising the home/away kits in time for the new season means it’ll be available a little later. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like.

RyeSloan
12-06-2020, 09:17 PM

How do Hibs have any say as to who the beneficial owner is of a certain shareholding?

Surely if I want to transfer my holding of Hibs shares to any other party then I could do so if I so wished?

CropleyWasGod
12-06-2020, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=Gerard;6199691]

How do Hibs have any say as to who the beneficial owner is of a certain shareholding?

Surely if I want to transfer my holding of Hibs shares to any other party then I could do so if I so wished?

Private companies often have restrictions on the transfer of shares. You would need to check the Hibs Articles of Association to see if we have any.

Gerard
12-06-2020, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=Gerard;6199691]

In the articles of association of the Hibs company it will give the directors the legal right to permit the transfer of the shares. When the club was owned by STF the club encouraged the transfer of shares to HS and the ability of HS to purchase shares from the club. This is not the situation we are not in .