PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Liverpool 1975

Since452
08-06-2020, 10:27 AM
Saw a clip from from our 1-0 win in the UEFA Cup and noticed the crowd looked sparse. East terracing looked full but didn't appear to be many, if anyone behind the goals. Looking further it was only 19k. Seems strange for a big European game back then. Anyone know the reason for it?

Sioux
08-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Saw a clip from from our 1-0 win in the UEFA Cup and noticed the crowd looked sparse. East terracing looked full but didn't appear to be many, if anyone behind the goals. Looking further it was only 19k. Seems strange for a big European game back then. Anyone know the reason for it?

Monsoon conditions started around six o'clock!

Hiber-nation

It was torrential rain and standing on the East like I did wasn't exactly pleasant! Our crowds had decreased a bit from the Tornadoes heyday as well.

Hillsidehibby
Biblical rain!

IWasThere2016
08-06-2020, 10:31 AM

Good question. Always assumed ER would have been rammed full.

Since452
08-06-2020, 10:32 AM
Monsoon conditions started around six o'clock!

Ah makes sense cheers

ben johnson
08-06-2020, 10:33 AM

I attended the game and I’m surprised at the attendance figure
Perhaps the weather had a part to play in the poor attendance
It rained all day and I mean rained. It was bouncing off the street nearly all day. We got soaked just walking down the road to get the bus into Edinburgh

Feed McGraw
08-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Saw a clip from from our 1-0 win in the UEFA Cup and noticed the crowd looked sparse. East terracing looked full but didn't appear to be many, if anyone behind the goals. Looking further it was only 19k. Seems strange for a big European game back then. Anyone know the reason for it? It was a horrendous night weather wise, absolute monsoon like conditions.Would have been pay at the gate as well which wouldn`t help on a night like that. Also it was what was known at the time as " The September week" holiday which was a set autumn holiday for factories etc. I was away down south with a lot of my mates and we all would have been there normally and I`m sure that would have been the case with many other Hibs supporters. We all went to the second leg and there was a huge Hibs support down there.

green with envy
08-06-2020, 10:49 AM
I had just turned 14 when i attended this game. As said in previous comments, it was absolutely torrential that night. That aside Joe Harper's goal that night still stands out as one of my favourite Hibs goals. I still see Arthur Duncan bombing down the left wing and his low cross to the in flying Harper to slide the ball home. A truly great memory. Such a shame though Brownlie missed his pen that night.

Lago
08-06-2020, 10:53 AM
Biblical rain!
Remember it well, but the goal was worth getting wet for, a Duncan & Harper beauty 👌

Earlydelivery
08-06-2020, 11:06 AM
2 years earlier we had 37k against Leeds

Tomsk
08-06-2020, 11:10 AM
I had just turned 14 when i attended this game. As said in previous comments, it was absolutely torrential that night. That aside Joe Harper's goal that night still stands out as one of my favourite Hibs goals. I still see Arthur Duncan bombing down the left wing and his low cross to the in flying Harper to slide the ball home. A truly great memory. Such a shame though Brownlie missed his pen that night.

How everything's changed. We thought nothing of beating Liverpool, and were disappointed not to win more convincingly on the night. We could have won that tie, and certainly gave Liverpool a run for their money. Nowadays, they wouldn't see us in their road! :greengrin

Like everyone else I got soaked that night. I was on the main terracing as it was called then - not the east terracing. I loved those European nights under the floodlights.

Skol
08-06-2020, 11:12 AM
I was there aged 8 and have no memory of the rain.

Hillsidehibby
08-06-2020, 11:15 AM
2 years earlier we had 37k against Leeds

I was also at the 1970 game v Liverpool. 30k at that one.

greenpaper55
08-06-2020, 11:15 AM
I thought Ian munro had a part in the goal, mind you my memory plays tricks nowadays !

Keith_M
08-06-2020, 11:29 AM
It's amazing the little amount of consideration for supporters that club owners had.

We had a stadium that, up until around 1985, was mostly open to the elements. Even the two areas that had a roof (north enclosure and main stand) weren't completely covered.

Visiting Liverpool fans must have been wondering what kind of horrible backwater they'd arrived in.

Feed McGraw
08-06-2020, 11:40 AM
I thought Ian munro had a part in the goal, mind you my memory plays tricks nowadays ! I think he did with the slide rule pass down the wing for Duncan to run on to then cross it.

BILLYHIBS
08-06-2020, 11:44 AM
Hail or snow or thunderstorms I’d go

Hibee Hibernian!

:greengrin

h1bs4life
08-06-2020, 11:47 AM
Was at the game terrible conditions. Sure we went 1-0 up at Annfield then Liverpoll scored 3 to win it.

FilipinoHibs
08-06-2020, 11:51 AM
Came up from Hawick and camped outside Edinburgh. Tent was afloat when we go back. In the main stand enclosure because of the rain. It was packed. In line with our penalty miss. Sure we hit the post as well. Liverpool's only defeat in the UEFA cup that season.

G B Young
08-06-2020, 11:52 AM

Check out all the umbrellas on the East terracing. What primitive conditions we used to watch football in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjAHIgiZpIM

Feed McGraw
08-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Was at the game terrible conditions. Sure we went 1-0 up at Annfield then Liverpoll scored 3 to win it. Think we equalised to make it 1-1 but as a 19 y.o. full of the bevvy my memory of it is a wee bit blurry. :greengrin

Tomsk
08-06-2020, 01:07 PM
Think we equalised to make it 1-1 but as a 19 y.o. full of the bevvy my memory of it is a wee bit blurry. :greengrin

Turnbull dropped Stanton for the Anfield game. Beyond belief. :confused:

Feed McGraw
08-06-2020, 01:29 PM
Turnbull dropped Stanton for the Anfield game. Beyond belief. :confused: I know, that is one thing that is clear in the memory, nobody could believe it !!

Franck Stanton
08-06-2020, 02:52 PM
Think we equalised to make it 1-1 but as a 19 y.o. full of the bevvy my memory of it is a wee bit blurry. :greengrin

Yep, wee Mickey equalised. Toshack scored three that night. Paddy had fallen out with Turnbull ( easy thing to do), and was dropped. Proved disastrous decision as if memory serves Toshack scored at least 2 with headers which, if Stanton was on the field he wouldn't have got.
Remember them playing " ulma Paloma blanka" at half time & all the hibby s dancing around like nutters.

Feed McGraw
08-06-2020, 03:01 PM
Yep, wee Mickey equalised. Toshack scored three that night. Paddy had fallen out with Turnbull ( easy thing to do), and was dropped. Proved disastrous decision as if memory serves Toshack scored at least 2 with headers which, if Stanton was on the field he wouldn't have got.
Remember them playing " ulma Paloma blanka" at half time & all the hibby s dancing around like nutters. Yeah, all that is right FS, I always remember it as 3 headers but it may have just been 2 and yup, if the King had been on the park he would have made it a lot more difficult for Toshack. Una Paloma Blanca I think translates into " One White Bird" - it was The Big Red bird that did for us that night. :greengrin

mim
08-06-2020, 03:10 PM
Brownlie's penalty miss at the end was crucial.
Liverpool would not have come back from 2-0 down.

Feed McGraw
08-06-2020, 03:13 PM
Brownlie's penalty miss at the end was crucial.
Liverpool would not have come back from 2-0 down. Yeah, we would have went through on away goals with a 2-0 win in the 1st leg.

greenlex
08-06-2020, 03:18 PM
You’d think the place would have been rammed. It was only 50p for the terracing .

Since452
08-06-2020, 03:18 PM
Sure Liverpool went on to win the UEFA cup and the league that season so that result wasn't to be sniffed at

Mick O'Rourke
08-06-2020, 03:26 PM
I was also at the 1970 game v Liverpool. 30k at that one.

Me too.
I got lifted on London Road after the game.
Polis went mental after that match.
A cop got knocked of his horse outside The Holy Ground or nearby.
His mates meted out some retribution.
I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, as they say .
My only memory of the game was the battling !!!...and getting huckled.

Some fans set about the cops lifting me !!
I got a right kicking in Gayfield Square polis station.
Then charged with police assault.!!!

Edinburghs finest ,eh?

My old man said to me later.
"30 odd thousand at the game.
A handful lifted... and you had to be effin one of them "!!

Old Mick wisna tae be messed with !!

Hillsidehibby
08-06-2020, 03:43 PM
Me too.
I got lifted on London Road after the game.
Polis went mental after that match.
A cop got knocked of his horse outside The Holy Ground or nearby.
His mates meted out some retribution.
I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, as they say .
My only memory of the game was the battling !!!...and getting huckled.

Some fans set about the cops lifting me !!
I got a right kicking in Gayfield Square polis station.
Then charged with police assault.!!!

Edinburghs finest ,eh?

My old man said to me later.
"30 odd thousand at the game.
A handful lifted... and you had to be effin one of them "!!

Old Mick wisna tae be messed with !!

:greengrin :not worth

Mick O'Rourke
08-06-2020, 04:02 PM
:greengrin :not worth
Cheers
I wisnae grinning much that night

I sometimes think this classic song was written for me :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfwN0X8YnWo

GGTTH
HGSP

Keith_M
08-06-2020, 04:21 PM
You’d think the place would have been rammed. It was only 50p for the terracing .

And apparently a free shower anaw.

pollution
08-06-2020, 04:53 PM
It is not an exaggeration to say that from about late afternoon the rain was torrential and constant.

In fact, 19000 was a good turn out that night. It didn't put me off as a 14 year old ! It would now.

cmcd
08-06-2020, 05:57 PM
I thought Ian munro had a part in the goal, mind you my memory plays tricks nowadays !

Correct Ian Munro played a wonderful ball inside the fullback to Duncan

Alfred E Newman
08-06-2020, 06:26 PM
It is not an exaggeration to say that from about late afternoon the rain was torrential and constant.

In fact, 19000 was a good turn out that night. It didn't put me off as a 14 year old ! It would now.

It is also worth noting that the game, as most then, was pay at the gate so the atrocious weather obviously put a lot of fans off. No me!

The Wireless
08-06-2020, 08:03 PM
Sure Liverpool went on to win the UEFA cup and the league that season so that result wasn't to be sniffed at

I was at the game and yes the rain was teaming down. It was also the days of the dodgy official attendances. IE When the attendance recorded looked strangely subdued to the turnout on the terraces.:wink::wink:

SCHAEDYSHORTS
09-06-2020, 05:54 PM
I was a very happy & excited 10 year old in the Dunbar end that night with my uncle. I was only allowed to go if I went with him incase their was any bother. It was the only time I have ever been in that end & remember standing up behind the goal & that their were a fair few in there? Not seen on the footage though. Got absolutely drookit but it was my first European game & beating Liverpool with all their great players was magic. I'm lucky enough to have watched the Tornadoes & teams of that era on many occasions & never realised just how good we were are going toe to toe with some of the biggest clubs in Europe, just took it for granted. Happy days!

Carheenlea
09-06-2020, 06:02 PM
Match highlights

Features possibly one of the worst free kicks Hibs must have ever taken :hilarious

https://youtu.be/C8TncVuf4-E

heretoday
10-06-2020, 07:05 AM
Remember it well, but the goal was worth getting wet for, a Duncan & Harper beauty 👌

Joey Harper. Much maligned.

One Day
10-06-2020, 07:36 AM
Yeah, all that is right FS, I always remember it as 3 headers but it may have just been 2 and yup, if the King had been on the park he would have made it a lot more difficult for Toshack. Una Paloma Blanca I think translates into " One White Bird" - it was The Big Red bird that did for us that night. :greengrin

Seem to recall a fair bit of trouble during and after the game at anfield

Bobo
10-06-2020, 09:40 AM
It is also worth noting that the game, as most then, was pay at the gate so the atrocious weather obviously put a lot of fans off. No me!

The game wasn't all pay at the gate, there were tickets available, for it at least a month in advance, for the North, South & Centre Stands as well as the Seated Enclosure, it was only the Terracing that was walk up.

The weather was hellish and had a big effect on the attendance which would have been around 10,000 more had the conditions been decent.

c31
10-06-2020, 10:34 AM
Seem to recall a fair bit of trouble during and after the game at anfield

Yeah we got caught up in, car smashed by a brick and my mates dad ended up in A&E, which again wasn't a safe place to be. The police were just as bad, they had sticks and weren't afraid to use them as we went from the ground, it was like a zoo. It still ranks with me that Hibs fans of a certain age support Liverpool after the way we were treated that night.

Hillsidehibby
10-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Yeah we got caught up in, car smashed by a brick and my mates dad ended up in A&E, which again wasn't a safe place to be. The police were just as bad, they had sticks and weren't afraid to use them as we went from the ground, it was like a zoo. It still ranks with me that Hibs fans of a certain age support Liverpool after the way we were treated that night.

I have a scouser Liverpool fan mate who was at the game at Anfield and he says the Hibs fans were just as bad.