PDA

View Full Version : Crunchie

Mibbes Aye
07-06-2020, 06:07 PM
A favourite for a lot of us back in the day at ER but clearly a legend for Falkirk fans

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/kevin-mcallister-falkirk-fans-want-name-stand-after-former-hibs-winger-2876708

SideBurns
07-06-2020, 06:17 PM
A favourite for a lot of us back in the day at ER but clearly a legend for Falkirk fans

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/kevin-mcallister-falkirk-fans-want-name-stand-after-former-hibs-winger-2876708

We never really got the best out of Crunchie imo, but for a while in the '92-93 season particularly (with Michael O'Neill on the other wing) Hibs looked capable of doing something special. He was a great wee player though, and in this era would get plenty caps for Scotland.

Mibbes Aye
07-06-2020, 06:30 PM
We never really got the best out of Crunchie imo, but for a while in the '92-93 season particularly (with Michael O'Neill on the other wing) Hibs looked capable of doing something special. He was a great wee player though, and in this era would get plenty caps for Scotland.

My memory is that the end result wasn't necessarily all that, but the endeavour was great. Certainly, he always used to get the East roused when on that side.

Since452
07-06-2020, 06:32 PM
My favourite player growing up. My old man was a sparky and took me to a job at Camelon Juniors ground. Was like a shrine to him with signed shirts from Hibs, Chelsea etc. Remember him scoring a goal for Falkirk in early rounds of cup and he must have beaten around seven men. Great player.

Golden Bear
07-06-2020, 06:38 PM
He was an out and out old style attacking winger who couldn't adapt to the "tracking back" duties which he was asked to do at ER.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-06-2020, 06:42 PM

Not as good for us as he was made out to be.

Peevemor
07-06-2020, 06:46 PM
I loved him when he was at ER. He never hid his affection for Falkirk but still ran through walls for Hibs.

Smartie
07-06-2020, 06:46 PM
I thought he was fantastic for us in an excellent side.

We missed him after he left, he still had a lot left to offer.

Hiber-nation
07-06-2020, 06:49 PM
He was an out and out old style attacking winger who couldn't adapt to the "tracking back" duties which he was asked to do at ER.

Agree, I remember him in a game away to a very good Motherwell side basically marking their left back Rab McKinnon for the whole game and rarely crossing the halfway line. Cracking wee winger when we were playing attacking football with O'Neill on the other flank and Wright and Jackson in the middle. We should really have done better with that attack.

Away games were a chore in the Miller days.

Booked4Being-Ugly
07-06-2020, 07:17 PM
Used to rip us apart at the old Brockville and we had big Yogi stopping us at the other end.

We should have singed him a couple of years earlier but it was exciting having him and O’Neill on each wing. Some team we had then.

Keith_M
07-06-2020, 07:25 PM
I was at his testimonial at Brockville.

We took a fair number to that game and he got a fantastic reception from both sets of fans.

Iggy Pope
07-06-2020, 07:47 PM
Used to rip us apart at the old Brockville and we had big Yogi stopping us at the other end.

We should have singed him a couple of years earlier but it was exciting having him and O’Neill on each wing. Some team we had then.

Games at Brockville were brilliant and terrifying at the same time. That spell in the late 80s to mid 90s they just went for the throat. It was some place. I’ve got a couple of 5 and 6 goal thrillers in my mind early 90s which were exhausting to witness.

Since452
07-06-2020, 08:07 PM
Remember he ran Hearts ragged in the Scottish Cup semi final. God knows how they beat Falkirk that day

Sammy7nil
07-06-2020, 08:17 PM

With that team there was a time if you were five minutes late you missed a goal good times :aok:

NASAHIBS
07-06-2020, 08:55 PM
Games at Brockville were brilliant and terrifying at the same time. That spell in the late 80s to mid 90s they just went for the throat. It was some place. I’ve got a couple of 5 and 6 goal thrillers in my mind early 90s which were exhausting to witness.

Agree Iggy, were some high scorers round about that time, both the Brockville games in 91/92 were 3-2, one win each. Think McGinlay got both for Hibs in the defeat not long after the Skol Cup win.

majorhibs
08-06-2020, 03:46 AM
Agree, I remember him in a game away to a very good Motherwell side basically marking their left back Rab McKinnon for the whole game and rarely crossing the halfway line. Cracking wee winger when we were playing attacking football with O'Neill on the other flank and Wright and Jackson in the middle. We should really have done better with that attack.

Away games were a chore in the Miller days.

Havin endured nearly all away games in his 10 yr avoidin gettin beat bore fest, that’s an excellent description of such a waste after Mogadon got gung ho in his signings after FTB, but still set up no to concede. Criminal!

Peevemor
08-06-2020, 05:24 AM
Havin endured nearly all away games in his 10 yr avoidin gettin beat bore fest, that’s an excellent description of such a waste after Mogadon got gung ho in his signings after FTB, but still set up no to concede. Criminal!

And the manager that replaced him got us relegated.

(I do know what you mean though).

inglisavhibs
09-06-2020, 04:47 PM
Not Joe Harper’s debut though😞

inglisavhibs
09-06-2020, 05:39 PM
Not Joe Harper’s debut though😞

1 8 7 5
09-06-2020, 05:42 PM
He was fantastic in the greenjersey.

Loved watching him.

StirlingHibee
09-06-2020, 06:07 PM
If my memory serves me correct I took two English work colleagues to a mid-week game around 1993 at Easter Road against Raith Rovers. I'm sure the score was 3-2 and Kevin scored a wonder goal when he picked up the ball from the half-way line, beat 2 or 3 players and scored from a rebound off the keeper. It was a brilliant game and I was so chuffed because I was worried that my colleagues were going to be less than impressed with the quality of scottish football. Anyway, they loved it.

stantonhibby
09-06-2020, 06:44 PM
If my memory serves me correct I took two English work colleagues to a mid-week game around 1993 at Easter Road against Raith Rovers. I'm sure the score was 3-2 and Kevin scored a wonder goal when he picked up the ball from the half-way line, beat 2 or 3 players and scored from a rebound off the keeper. It was a brilliant game and I was so chuffed because I was worried that my colleagues were going to be less than impressed with the quality of scottish football. Anyway, they loved it.

I remember that game but thought he was kind of boxed in at the corner flag (FF/West stands) but some how got past the players....definitely a rebound off the keeper. I'm sure O'Neill scored a sublime chip in the same game

BILLYHIBS
09-06-2020, 07:39 PM
My memory of Crunchie is Jim Duffy’s first game 0-4 to Hearts 1/1/1997

I turned around and Kevin McAllister was in the Weir Toyota Lounge unstripped in his suit, arms folded he just looked at me and shook his heid.

Things could only get better :rolleyes:

Bishop Hibee
09-06-2020, 09:24 PM

That was a great game. Raith had a good side then. There was a bumper crowd as the ticket stub guaranteed you a ticket for the upcoming League Cup final if I remember correctly. Crunchie was good for us but as mentioned earlier, we signed him a couple of years too late. He played well in a game away to St Johnstone which took us to the top of the league.

Peevemor
09-06-2020, 10:43 PM
That was a great game. Raith had a good side then. There was a bumper crowd as the ticket stub guaranteed you a ticket for the upcoming League Cup final if I remember correctly. Crunchie was good for us but as mentioned earlier, we signed him a couple of years too late. He played well in a game away to St Johnstone which took us to the top of the league.

The ticket stubb thing didn't apply to that match but there was a big crowd (14k+ IIRC) because people were hoping it would - Hibs had done the stubb thing as a surprise for a prior semi.

erin go bragh
09-06-2020, 11:14 PM
He ripped them a new one in the 96 new year derby . Great wee player .

Baader
09-06-2020, 11:38 PM
Loved him. That side with him and Michael O on the wings with Keith and DJ (and Harper) was some attack. Just a pity Miller would have him in his own box for corners, he's about 5'6" - which sums Lexo up.

Great old fashioned winger and a joy to watch.