PDA

View Full Version : Who is Aidan Smith

Robbo6-2
07-06-2020, 11:40 AM
This really is a terrible article.

I understand people are toiling for money but what is the point going to national media such a negative piece at a time when club needs the fans support.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/aidan-smith-why-i-want-season-ticket-rebate-hibs-2876932%3famp

Cardinal G
07-06-2020, 11:46 AM

I understand people are toiling for money but what is the point going to national media such a negative piece at a time when club needs the fans support.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/aidan-smith-why-i-want-season-ticket-rebate-hibs-2876932%3famp

It was a poor piece, but then I only got as far into it till he called his pal Rab a chum.

Pretty Boy
07-06-2020, 11:50 AM
He's entitled to a refund, his finances may dictate that it's essential.

Writing an article about it seems unnecessary.

Iggy Pope
07-06-2020, 11:50 AM
I cannot stomach this ‘writer’.

Scouse Hibee
07-06-2020, 11:51 AM

I didn’t find anything wrong with what he said to be honest and it struck a chord with me too. I didn’t claim the refund but in hindsight I should have done and won’t be so charitable in the future.

H18 SFR
07-06-2020, 11:52 AM
It is as if he is attempting to present himself as middle class to me whilst simultaneously explaining that he is skint.

He could maybe do with taking a step back and learning to manage his outgoings a bit better.

mcohibs
07-06-2020, 11:59 AM
What a crap and pointless article. It's like he's justifying his actions to himself and just whacking it into a keyboard. I'm sure no one is criticising him for requesting a refund, why bother writing about it?

Ironically, I'm sure he's being paid handsomely by the Scotsman for writing an article with the same journalistic skill that any random post on Hibs.net would have. Weird.

Jim44
07-06-2020, 11:59 AM
Is he not the guy who became a Hearts supporter for a season to see what it was like on the other side of the divide in order to write a book?

H18 SFR
07-06-2020, 12:01 PM
Is he not the guy who became a Hearts supporter for a season to see what it was like on the other side of the divide in order to write a book?

I actually stopped myself from saying I felt like it was an attention seeking exercise - learning this makes me think it is. If he does read this thread I am sure he will see it as mission accomplished.

Sir David Gray
07-06-2020, 12:01 PM

Yes.

CropleyWasGod
07-06-2020, 12:02 PM

He is.

Son of W.Gordon Smith, one of our better playwrights of the late 20th Century.

green.oracle
07-06-2020, 12:09 PM
He is.

Son of W.Gordon Smith, one of our better playwrights of the late 20th Century.

Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily make him a good one.

Of all the books / articles written about our recent Scottish cup win, his was the one I liked the least.

GGTTH

Since452
07-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Can't write anything without mentioning the 1970's. If he wrote about taking his dog for a walk he'd get the 70's in there somehow.

04Sauzee
07-06-2020, 12:18 PM
Hope he gets his refund and finds another hobby and decides he doesn't want to return.

BILLYHIBS
07-06-2020, 12:23 PM
Same guy that wrote ‘Heartfelt’ and turned native I believe 😃

Jack
07-06-2020, 12:23 PM
He probably feels the way many of us do, we didn't either.

I wait with baited breath for the equivalent hertz article where the writer can't feed his family as they were refused any consideration of a refund.

I doubt we'll see that. More likely the Scotsman will rally their troops into parting with even more cash to fill that bottomless money pit.

hibeerealist
07-06-2020, 12:30 PM

Aye, what an e rse just read his article!

Read his book too, what Hibs supporter could "pretend" to be a Duncan/yam for a season sitting in with them and listening to their utter pash????

James Stephen
07-06-2020, 12:35 PM
Its a bitnof a nothing article, but i dont have a problem with his sentiments, all hes basically said is he has priorities, and given financial difficulty, there are others in line before fitba.

It doesnt mean hes not a fan.

Forza Fred
07-06-2020, 12:40 PM
Its a bitnof a nothing article, but i dont have a problem with his sentiments, all hes basically said is he has priorities, and given financial difficulty, there are others in line before fitba.

You are right, it doesn’t mean he’s not a fan.

Just not much of one.

bigwheel
07-06-2020, 12:42 PM

Just not much of one.

Why’s that ? Does it make him less of a fan ?

H18 SFR
07-06-2020, 12:46 PM
Why’s that ? Does it make him less of a fan ?

I don't think he is less of a fan, his issue is that he clearly wants to, or at least portray that he lives/has lived a 'type' of lifestyle that he clearly can't afford.

bigwheel
07-06-2020, 12:49 PM
I don't think he is less of a fan, his issue is that he clearly wants to, or at least portray that he lives/has lived a 'type' of lifestyle that he clearly can't afford.

And now he is tightening his belt ??

hibeerealist
07-06-2020, 12:51 PM

IF your finances dictate that you need to ask HFC for a refund then fair enough just don't go about telling the world you did so, e rse!

Robbo6-2
07-06-2020, 01:01 PM
IF your finances dictate that you need to ask HFC for a refund then fair enough just don't go about telling the world you did so, e rse!

Exactly hes having a go at fans for renewing and not asking fir a refund.

Very strange article

H18 SFR
07-06-2020, 01:04 PM
And now he is tightening his belt ??

Yeah, for sure. I’m sure the hundred pound or so will help with the big debts or the school trip.

JimBHibees
07-06-2020, 01:10 PM

Just not much of one.

Totally agree feels the need to announce to all he is asking for a refund at a time when his club need money more than ever. Get the impression he thinks he is cleverer than he is.

Alfred E Newman
07-06-2020, 01:10 PM
I gave up on his article half way through . Boring stuff from the guy who gave up following Hibs for a year to follow Hearts.
Enough said, hope he spends his refund wisely.

JimBHibees
07-06-2020, 01:14 PM
I gave up on his article half way through . Boring stuff from the guy who gave up following Hibs for a year to follow Hearts.
Enough said, hope he spends his refund wisely.

Agree there was nothing remotely humorous or interesting in it. I am asking for a refund because my kids have school trips or ballet. I mean really ground breaking writing. :greengrin

Leith Green
07-06-2020, 01:20 PM
An absolute weapon if you ask me ... Always thought that from back when he done that book as a jambo for a season. Every article he has ever written seems to be utter cringe ..

Sudds_1
07-06-2020, 01:52 PM
Totally agree feels the need to announce to all he is asking for a refund at a time when his club need money more than ever. Get the impression he thinks he is cleverer than he is.

This. The guy seems like an attention seeking no mark.

Jonnyboy
07-06-2020, 01:53 PM
Ironic that he decries fans for announcing on Twitter they’ve renewed their season ticket whilst he uses the pages of a national newspaper to announce he wants a refund.

Oscar T Grouch
07-06-2020, 02:03 PM
Terrible writer, heartfelt was an awful book written from an idea that could’ve been a great book. If I get insomnia I find myself picking heartfelt up and I’m usually out within a chapter/month.

dalkeith stu
07-06-2020, 02:06 PM
And at the end of the article was a message from the editor begging for us to take out a subscription to the Scotsman!!!! You couldn't make it up!!

Shrekko
07-06-2020, 02:14 PM
Ironic that he decries fans for announcing on Twitter they’ve renewed their season ticket whilst he uses the pages of a national newspaper to announce he wants a refund.

Yeah just so many wrong things about the article but this was the worst bit.

Absolutely terrible piece and the patter about needing his already paid money back for ballet lessons and French excursions even managed to almost take the mickey out of people who are probably reluctantly seeking refunds to help them pay stuff like electric and food bills.

I’m all for writers who can put different slants on football stories but he’s just pretentious, condescending and self indulgent.

CMurdoch
07-06-2020, 02:21 PM
The article is fine BUT he is a middle class guy from a middle class background. He has I suspect never been skint and with nowhere to turn.
Did your brother go to University in Italy?
Mine didn't and neither did any other person I have ever known.
All things considered Mr Smith and his story are not credible which is the least a journalist should be.

lyonhibs
07-06-2020, 02:23 PM
He is an increasingly tiresome "Hibee scribe" that knows a few long words and has a newspaper column.

Eyrie
07-06-2020, 02:31 PM

Absolutely terrible piece and the patter about needing his already paid money back for ballet lessons and French excursions even managed to almost take the mickey out of people who are probably reluctantly seeking refunds to help them pay stuff like electric and food bills.

I’m all for writers who can put different slants on football stories but he’s just pretentious, condescending and self indulgent.

:top marks

hibbydog
07-06-2020, 02:44 PM

100%

I don’t really have a problem with him having to make a balance between his own leisure activities and ‘buying’ opportunities for his kids.

Where he is likely to attract criticism is his mention of big mortgage (and therefore big house), foreign school trips and ballet lessons. It’s all very aloof and unlikely to be well received at a time when so many are struggling to make ends meet.

At best it’s insensitive and poorly thought through. At worst it’s aloof and pretentious.

Pretty poor show Aidan.

lord bunberry
07-06-2020, 02:58 PM
Terrible article, I couldn’t even finish it. How many ballet lessons and kids football training are going ahead the now that he needs money for? Personally I couldn’t give a toss whether he wants a refund or not, he’s well within his rights to get one. Why right a ****ty article in the newspaper having sly digs at hibs fans. The guys an absolute clown, I hope he doesn’t bother renewing for next season.

Iggy Pope
07-06-2020, 03:10 PM
The article is fine BUT he is a middle class guy from a middle class background. He has I suspect never been skint and with nowhere to turn.
Did your brother go to University in Italy?
Mine didn't and neither did any other person I have ever known.
All things considered Mr Smith and his story are not credible which is the least a journalist should be.

****ing ballet lessons. I ask you.
I’m glad I don’t buy the Scotsman or I’d be asking them for a refund pretty much every week. He’s a twat.

The Harp
07-06-2020, 03:16 PM
I've read some decent articles about the club written by him but this certainly isn't one of them.
He's already applied for a refund, so that should be it. No need to bore everyone by spouting about it in the press.

H18 SFR
07-06-2020, 03:28 PM
I’d die inside if I moved seat at ER and ended up next to him.

Moulin Yarns
07-06-2020, 03:32 PM
It was a poor piece, but then I only got as far into it till he called his pal Rab a chum.

I remember Rab from school, but I don't have any recollection of aiden.

Carheenlea
07-06-2020, 03:32 PM
He fancies himself as a bit of a smart Alec and his writing is often sneering towards the working class football supporters. Never fails to highlight his slightly more privileged background which never makes his articles an enjoyable read.

Fergos
07-06-2020, 03:33 PM

Great post, some folk will need the refund just to keep the basics going never mind the nice to dos, whatever your thing is.

A poorly thought out article from a newspaper thats seen better days.

GGTTH

Franck Stanton
07-06-2020, 03:33 PM
This. The guy seems like an attention seeking no mark.

Nail, hit, head.

Hiber-nation
07-06-2020, 03:41 PM
Used to quite like the stuff Aiden wrote. I remember him with his late father in the North Stand back in the early 80s in the one season I sat there. But he seems to have completely lost the plot recently. Attention-seeking nonsense.

Skol
07-06-2020, 03:45 PM
I had to change my Sunday paper as I couldn’t take his articles any more.

WoreTheGreen
07-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Smith Jackson wee Barry thank fk I don’t buy papers

ancient hibee
07-06-2020, 04:03 PM
He fancies himself as a bit of a smart Alec and his writing is often sneering towards the working class football supporters. Never fails to highlight his slightly more
privileged background which never makes his articles an enjoyable read.

It was a silly article but I disagree with your opinion.Many of his articles are well thought out and make an enjoyable read.If his pal Rab is who I think it is then he is a much missed journalist at the Scotsman.

blackpoolhibs
07-06-2020, 04:12 PM
I got about 10 pages into that *****y book he wrote a while back, then threw it away. It appears he's not much better these days. :rolleyes:

Viva_Palmeiras
07-06-2020, 04:13 PM
He is/was registered on here.

I used to look forward to his articles but he does appear to be stuck in a bit of a timewarp. There's only so many tenuous 70s music links folks can stand ok Hornby made a book out it - it's gone now :;

The demise of the Scotsman and Evening is sad in the respect were left with Weegie oriented media. But for a long time now these publications have lost their distinctive character to become a shell of buzzfeed clickbait that offers no differentiation from other bland mindless sheet.

Aidan is maybe last man standing waving a flag for yesteryear. I wish him well.

At least he went to a non fee paying school in Embra.

Since452
07-06-2020, 04:19 PM
Fully get somebody needing a refund, completely get it and wouldn't judge because of it but why use a platform like that to publicly say it when the club need all the help they can get right now? Find it a bit odd. Everything Hibs are doing right now is very positive and it's dissapointing that "one of our own" is bringing a bit of negativity to proceedings.

Baader
07-06-2020, 04:20 PM
Don't really see the big deal. You want a refund? Ask for it and the club will refund you. Hearts did not even give the option of a refund. Why the article about something that is quite simple?

Tobias Funke
07-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Awful journalist.

He did a review of Springsteen concert for the EEN back in the early 90s and was hyper critical of it, to the point that he mentioned the crowd were booing at points in the gig. No, they were shouting “BRUUUUUCCCCE” you utter moron.

JimBHibees
07-06-2020, 04:31 PM

yep agree with that something very cringeworthy about that.

hibbyfraelibby
07-06-2020, 04:48 PM
A "look at me" article from an attention seeker not currently getting any attention because it appears in a paper that no-one pays any attention to any more.

Pretentious pillock

Roxyhibee
07-06-2020, 07:03 PM
Don’t read him much these days but used to enjoy many of his articles years back, in particular where he’d caught up and interviewed an old Hibs player from 70’s/80’s (and even one or two Hearts ones too..)

However - this article is just awful. Not sure what he’s even trying to achieve with it but it’s arrogant garbage.

NAE NOOKIE
07-06-2020, 10:00 PM
Its all very mediocre following Hibs going by his article, all a bit not really worth getting passionate about, a bit like football in general really.

'I wasn't around for Mercer coz I was busy doing intelligent middle class stuff like touring Italy.
'I was kind of ambivalent to Hibs when Williamson was boss, coz well you know it was more interesting watching the Brazil like Falkirk team, coz like football is just an entertainment like going to the pictures or a tour of Florence'
'That's why I like to be a customer rather than a fan, coz customers demand a return for their money and aren't stupid enough to accept being ripped off, unlike 'fans' of football who are willing to accept it through loyalty ... obviously misplaced loyalty in his eyes.

The worst thing about the article is the supercilious tone, the underlying vibe it gives that the club and his feeling towards it is no big deal in his life, so why should it be in anybody else's .... This isn't a cry from the heart from someone passionate about 'his team' bemoaning the fact that he 'needs' a refund or can't afford a season ticket for 20/21 ... This is a cheap shot and an insult to folk who through no fault of their own genuinely could do with a refund to cover vital bills and who simply cant afford to renew their season tickets and who more to the point are gutted about it.

Aye maybe he is a Hibs fan, but I know quite a few folk who claim to be that who haven't set foot inside Easter Road for years ... lets hope he follows suit.

Lancs Harp
07-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Its all very mediocre following Hibs going by his article, all a bit not really worth getting passionate about, a bit like football in general really.

'I wasn't around for Mercer coz I was busy doing intelligent middle class stuff like touring Italy.
'I was kind of ambivalent to Hibs when Williamson was boss, coz well you know it was more interesting watching the Brazil like Falkirk team, coz like football is just an entertainment like going to the pictures or a tour of Florence'
'That's why I like to be a customer rather than a fan, coz customers demand a return for their money and aren't stupid enough to accept being ripped off, unlike 'fans' of football who are willing to accept it through loyalty ... obviously misplaced loyalty in his eyes.

The worst thing about the article is the supercilious tone, the underlying vibe it gives that the club and his feeling towards it is no big deal in his life, so why should it be in anybody else's .... This isn't a cry from the heart from someone passionate about 'his team' bemoaning the fact that he 'needs' a refund or can't afford a season ticket for 20/21 ... This is a cheap shot and an insult to folk who through no fault of their own genuinely could do with a refund to cover vital bills and who simply cant afford to renew their season tickets and who more to the point are gutted about it.

Aye maybe he is a Hibs fan, but I know quite a few folk who claim to be that who haven't set foot inside Easter Road for years ... lets hope he follows suit.

Top post fella

1875STEVE
07-06-2020, 10:05 PM
It's a strange article.

I find it funny though that he slags off fans for using twittter to announce they have bought one, and then he's written an article in newspaper announcing he's after a refund? :confused:

CraigHibee
07-06-2020, 10:05 PM
He's entitled to a refund if he wanted but dont see the need to publish an article like this imo

Jdawg
07-06-2020, 10:44 PM
What a useless waste of print. Claim it back or don’t, but do just F*** off

G B Young
07-06-2020, 11:12 PM
A tired sort of space filler from just one of many sports writers with little to write about. I stopped reading the Scotsman a good while back but to be fair to the guy he used to do some decent interviews in the Saturday edition. Definitely a long-time Hibs fan.

jacomo
07-06-2020, 11:13 PM
I cannot stomach this ‘writer’.

He’s better than most.

Smartie
07-06-2020, 11:17 PM
I could relate to aspects of what he was saying.

Where I passionately disagree with him is regarding the fact that this pish should ever have seen the light of day - it simply shouldn’t.

I may or may not buy a season ticket depending on personal circumstances not unlike his (although I probably will). What I absolutely won’t do is do anything to harm Hibs or attempt to dissuade anyone else from renewing.

It’s a horrific sentiment from someone you would expect to understand a little bit more about the psyche of a football fan, given he’s written about it for an entire career.

If he’s to get any benefit of any doubt, there is little to write about in the world of football at present and he’s clearly short of inspiration. With bills to pay and a deadline to meet, he’s clearly just thought f it and punted our the laziest crap he’s produced in his entire career before getting back to pornhub.

Abysmal article.

ehf
07-06-2020, 11:30 PM
I could relate to aspects of what he was saying.

Where I passionately disagree with him is regarding the fact that this pish should ever have seen the light of day - it simply shouldn’t.

I may or may not buy a season ticket depending on personal circumstances not unlike his (although I probably will). What I absolutely won’t do is do anything to harm Hibs or attempt to dissuade anyone else from renewing.

It’s a horrific sentiment from someone you would expect to understand a little bit more about the psyche of a football fan, given he’s written about it for an entire career.

If he’s to get any benefit of any doubt, there is little to write about in the world of football at present and he’s clearly short of inspiration. With bills to pay and a deadline to meet, he’s clearly just thought f it and punted our the laziest crap he’s produced in his entire career before getting back to pornhub.

Abysmal article.

I have met Aidan several times over the years and thought he was a decent guy (a bit full of himself, but that is virtually essential for a journalist) and undoubtedly a good Hibby but that piece is truly execrable. A horrendous lapse of judgement on his part and I can only assume he is not coping too well at the moment.

HFC93
07-06-2020, 11:48 PM
The article is an insult to Hibbies with a real love for the club, who have had to ask for a refund given serious financial circumstances.