PDA

View Full Version : I Love St Mirren

lord bunberry
06-06-2020, 12:42 AM
I can’t hide my admiration for their fans. They’ve been relentlessly trolling our pink chums for weeks now. I wish them well.

SquashedFrogg
06-06-2020, 04:30 AM
I can’t hide my admiration for their fans. They’ve been relentlessly trolling our pink chums for weeks now. I wish them well.

It's a joy to watch.

SouthMoroccoStu
06-06-2020, 05:19 AM

The EEN referring to St Mirren as Hearts rivals (in reference to St Mirren trying to sign Craig Gordon) is brilliant

That Jambo rag panders to the gorgie loyal

This all stems back to the buddies Supposedly laying down to Celtic on the last day of the season over 30 years ago

Bitter or what - ignoring the league title was all but in hearts hands, only needing a draw away to Dundee to win it, the rest is history

St Mirren fans are great banter for this as they know it is the red rag to the bull for our neighbors

St Mirren are one of the few clubs that have been vocal against the reconstruction- highlighting its self-centred stance to save their own skin

They seem like a decent bunch and a well run club

lyonhibs
06-06-2020, 06:02 AM
Great club, one of my closest pals is a massive St Mirren fan so have a soft spot for them.

Their fans have an attractive ditty that I can see getting a full stadium outing both at ER and whatever Love Street is called these days.

To the tune of "Oh what a night" (rather obviously)

Oh what a night
John Obika in the Black and white
Sending Hearts down cos they're f***ing sh**e
What a feeling what a night

hibee-boys
06-06-2020, 06:06 AM
Keep up the good work The Saints�� Also, as much as I couldn't stand Jim Goodwin as a player I have to admit to being impressed with what he's achieved in management, comes across as a good thinker, articulate and knows his football, the same mould as our own boss.

Waxy
06-06-2020, 06:21 AM
Always had a soft spot for St Mirren as their old Love St ground was my first away trip.

SouthMoroccoStu
06-06-2020, 06:41 AM
Motherwell Fans have been giving it tight to the jambos too

Some paid for that Wagner from X Factor to sing to them

Hibs4185
06-06-2020, 06:43 AM
Great club, one of my closest pals is a massive St Mirren fan so have a soft spot for them.

Their fans have an attractive ditty that I can see getting a full stadium outing both at ER and whatever Love Street is called these days.

Oh what a night

Top effort and I hope this catches on!

Iggy Pope
06-06-2020, 07:13 AM
Cairters Corner on Twitter is very funny and took Scott Wilson to bits a while back after a reference to Paisley snakes.

brog
06-06-2020, 07:24 AM
I feel admiration for fans of all those clubs who live in the shadow of the uglies but I reserve most for St M. When I was growing up they were a good team & Joe's bro played for them. They've always brought a good support, their relegation avoidance on our promotion day was fun! They sold us SJM to our mutual advantage, they beat Hawrts in a cup final & Chris Brookmyre & Bill Leckie are fans. They'll do for me!

Pretty Boy
06-06-2020, 07:58 AM
The trolling of Scott Wilson was a joy to behold. They stitched him up big time and rather than laugh it off he started blocking people which just escalated the whole thing to another level.

The whole Hearts/St Mirren thing is just steeped in Hearts trademark arrogance. Blow the league on the final day of the season in a way that was entirely your own fault? Blame St Mirren. Lose in the final of a cup you pompously dismiss? Blame St Mirren. Make a series of disastrous managerial appointments culminating in relegation? Blame St Mirren.

I always enjoyed a trip to Paisley because of the Alamo. Was a cracking pub.

Keith_M
06-06-2020, 08:03 AM
Some facts about St Mirren, that you may or may not have heard before (blatantly stolen from t'internet)

St Mirren's previous ground was called Love St as it was the home of the town's red light district

The Saints biggest rivals are Greenock Morton. St Mirren is actually a suburb of Greenock but is sometimes nicknamed Paisley after the famous fabric that was once manufactured there.

St Mirren's most famous fan is Prince. His Paisley Park song was written about his love for St Mirren

The second most famous fan is Helen, who changed her second name because of her love of the club.

St Mirren has the biggest Rastafarian population outside of London and Kingston, JA.

we are hibs
06-06-2020, 08:06 AM
Weeks? Years more like. 86 and also the final in 2013. Just like last year they had the bus ready in Hearts colours and it never left the garage 😂

Bostonhibby
06-06-2020, 08:07 AM
One of my best football friends is a Saints fan, group of us do home and away when Hibs play them, not as frequent as it used to be but still a great day out.

Free pies at the Alamo, free bus from the wee barrel to the ground and a session in the wee Howff are amongst the memories, been plenty changes down the years but I do like the whole st Mirren "cultural" experience.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Since452
06-06-2020, 08:33 AM
I've always had a wee soft spot for St Mirren. Their traveling support at Easter Road on the final day a few seasons ago was outstanding. Never stopped singing. Proper club. They get under the Jambos skin too which helps.

Glory Lurker
06-06-2020, 09:09 AM
Paisley Panda was always good value.

Phil MaGlass
06-06-2020, 09:21 AM
How about we adopt them instead of a German club, easier to get to,
😂😂😂

Billy Whizz
06-06-2020, 09:22 AM
What have the Saints said today

Keith_M
06-06-2020, 09:26 AM
Does anybody else remember that time in 1986 when Hearts lay down to Dundee in the final game of the season so that Celtc could win the league?

St Mirren put up a glorious effort at home against Celtc to try to help Hearts win it, but sadly it just wasn't to be.

LancsHibs
06-06-2020, 09:27 AM

Oh what a night

Loving this😂

JimBHibees
06-06-2020, 09:30 AM

Oh what a night

Cracking tune. :greengrin

Springbank
06-06-2020, 10:04 AM
I once had a long haul flight, and it turned out the guy sat for a number of hours in the seat next to me was the Paisley Panda.

He was great value, some tremendous stories. He was also a director of a major construction firm "by day", so his weekend Panda antics were like his Jekyll & Hyde side.

He was up at Hampden in front of the "beaks" on a number of occasions.

He got in most trouble for challenging Broxy Bear to "a square go" via the pages of Daily Record sport in the lead up to a St Mirren Rangers game.

Broxy shat it, but the Panda got his kicks instead chasing Rangers subs down the touchline as they warmed up (they were Gazza & Jorg Albertz), with the Panda carrying a sign that read "The one true religion - Buddyism" on a St Mirren crest :)

Another was when he walked slowly to the away end in a Renfrewshire derby, with something big hidden inside a black bin liner he was carrying & a clearly very heavy rucksack on his back..
He threw away the bin liner to unveil a giant home made "Magic Tree Air Freshner" in St Mirren colours and some Morton fans complained as he "cleansed" the air behind their goal...
..but the topper was inside his rucksack was his son, in a wee panda outfit, with a smaller magic tree, who jumped out the rucksack and joined in :)

There were plenty others, it was a great way to spend a few hours:aok:

Hibiza
06-06-2020, 10:06 AM
Some facts about St Mirren, that you may or may not have heard before (blatantly stolen from t'internet)

St Mirren's previous ground was called Love St as it was the home of the town's red light district

The Saints biggest rivals are Greenock Morton. St Mirren is actually a suburb of Greenock but is sometimes nicknamed Paisley after the famous fabric that was once manufactured there.

St Mirren's most famous fan is Prince. His Paisley Park song was written about his love for St Mirren

The second most famous fan is Helen, who changed her second name because of her love of the club.

St Mirren has the biggest Rastafarian population outside of London and Kingston, JA.

Superb .

scm70nyd1973
06-06-2020, 10:11 AM
Best song since the Warbuton’s a fanny 👍

1987 - 6 of us at Hampden - one buddy and 5 Glasgow Hibbys.

Ended up in Paisley with ma mate - what an epic night - can’t deny I was jealous but it all came good 29 years later 🍾🎉

After ‘86 it certainly gave me a soft spot for the Buddies and nothing has changed since then 😁

erin go bragh
06-06-2020, 11:04 AM
A wee shout out to Utd for their song against Them .
“If you’ve won the league at Dens ,clap your hands “

brog
06-06-2020, 11:19 AM
[
This all stems back to the buddies Supposedly laying down to Celtic on the last day of the season over 30 years ago

Bitter or what - ignoring the league title was all but in hearts hands, only needing a draw away to Dundee to win it, the rest is history

Of course this is 1 of the great myths of Scottish football. The fact is, if Hearts failed to get a point at Dens then Celtc only needed a 3-0 win to be champs. As it was with Hawrts pathetic & embarrassing capitulation, a 2-0 margin at Love St would have been sufficient & Celtc ended up top of the league by being 3 goals better off. Hearts scraped wins week after week that season & their rubbish goal difference finally caught up with them. We finished 3rd bottom that season & yet our GD was only 10 worse than Hearts. Just a great day!
Incidentally, I've never yet met a Hearts fan who knows the above. It's become part of their folklore that it was the 5-0 margin wot did for them!

06-06-2020, 12:08 PM

Oh what a night

Top effort. No reason why we couldn't sing it to them at the semi final (unless its behind closed doors). Also, their Obika one to the tune of Tequila.

Franck Stanton
06-06-2020, 12:20 PM
A wee shout out to Utd for their song against Them .
“If you’ve won the league at Dens ,clap your hands “
What a fantastic brilliant funny chant. REALLY fan-bloody-tastic. Hope it catches on at Easter road as I am going to look really stupid being the only one belting it out.

InchHibby
06-06-2020, 12:45 PM
The trolling of Scott Wilson was a joy to behold. They stitched him up big time and rather than laugh it off he started blocking people which just escalated the whole thing to another level.

The whole Hearts/St Mirren thing is just steeped in Hearts trademark arrogance. Blow the league on the final day of the season in a way that was entirely your own fault? Blame St Mirren. Lose in the final of a cup you pompously dismiss? Blame St Mirren. Make a series of disastrous managerial appointments culminating in relegation? Blame St Mirren.

I always enjoyed a trip to Paisley because of the Alamo. Was a cracking pub.
Liked that pub too, everything was in dollars. 👍

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2020, 01:48 PM
This thread title has been bugging me since I saw it.

There was an American disco hit in the seventies where the chorus started “I love.......” and the next word was three syllables, so matched perfectly with ‘St Mirren’. It’s been going in my head ever since, especially as I can’t remember what it was. The third syllable ended on a vowel :greengrin

It was very much Earth, Wind and Fire style but not them, nor Odyssey. Bit of a Nile Rodgers production sound, so maybe Chic. I will continue searching.

EI255
06-06-2020, 01:53 PM

I always enjoyed a trip to Paisley because of the Alamo. Was a cracking pub.You have to wonder how on earth the Fartz fans don't get bored sick of Scott Wilson's droning voice every other Saturday. He really is a fxxn bore.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Keith_M
06-06-2020, 01:53 PM

There was an American disco hit in the seventies where the chorus started “I love.......” and the next word was three syllables, so matched perfectly with ‘St Mirren’. It’s been going in my head ever since, especially as I can’t remember what it was. The third syllable ended on a vowel :greengrin

It was very much Earth, Wind and Fire style but not them, nor Odyssey. Bit of a Nile Rodgers production sound, so maybe Chic. I will continue searching.

Two syllables, not three, but I think you might mean this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWkjozKXO48

hibby rae
06-06-2020, 01:56 PM

Not disco but there's 'I Love Rock 'n' Roll'

Bostonhibby
06-06-2020, 01:57 PM
You have to wonder how on earth the Fartz fans don't get bored sick of Scott Wilson's droning voice every other Saturday. He really is a fxxn bore.

Sent from my LG-H840 using TapatalkIt's part of their conditioning and ultimately their placid acceptance of whatever they're told, ergo, our 20,000 seater stadium is sold out every home game because the stadium announcer shouted it out...

Hearts are self sufficient....

We owe it to ourselves.....

They're a con man's dream.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Two syllables, not three, but I think you might mean this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWkjozKXO48

No, it’s not Tina Charles, though that’s a classic. The vocals are males, plural.

norphy
06-06-2020, 02:32 PM
I love to boogie,T-Rex??

Sent from my motorola one macro using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2020, 02:37 PM
I love to boogie,T-Rex??

Sent from my motorola one macro using Tapatalk

Thanks but no, not that. It is definitely US, it is disco-pop, late seventies probably and pure cheese, but was a big hit.

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2020, 03:00 PM
On the plus side, in my search for this tune, I have spent a pleasurable hour listening to the O’Jays, Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes, Tavares and the Detroit Spinners :greengrin

I am reconsidering whether it was a male vocal, may have been female. But definitely that sound of the bands I just mentioned.

Getting back on topic, I have a friend at work who is a St Mirren ST holder and he has a respect for us and a bit of distaste for HOMFC. Technically, having been undercover on Keechback for a while, I think we are meant to call them St Mhirren.

And I like Paisley. No shortage of socio-economic deprivation but a fascinating town, architecturally.

jonty
06-06-2020, 03:05 PM
Alicia Bridges? Although its not quite "disco-y"

https://youtu.be/umAurdHLNzU

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2020, 03:11 PM
Alicia Bridges? Although its not quite "disco-y"

https://youtu.be/umAurdHLNzU

Jonty, you are a gentleman and a scholar. That’s the one :aok:

Joe6-2
06-06-2020, 03:11 PM
Always had a soft spot for St Mirren as their old Love St ground was my first away trip.

My first game ever was at Love street, my dad worked through in the dark west, his mate took my brother and I there, but to my eternal shame and disgust it was against the dirty huns!!

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2020, 03:16 PM
If I am not mistaken, Mixu made his debut for us at St Mirren and we lost 2-0. He didn’t do much for us after that, certainly didn’t show up in derbies........:greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
06-06-2020, 03:20 PM
You have to wonder how on earth the Fartz fans don't get bored sick of Scott Wilson's droning voice every other Saturday. He really is a fxxn bore.

Perfectly suited for those cardigan sporting twits then!

Best thing about Scott “Another sell out at Tynecastle” Wilson - he was screwed out of about £2k as one of hearts many many creditors

Kojock
06-06-2020, 03:22 PM
Like an away day to St Mirren. The old Love Street with the boozer right next to the away turnstiles. The guy who ran it was the double of Oliver Hardy. The pub mysteriously burned down. Onto the Alamo best away pub in the SPL it really added to the match day experience. 😂 Was gutted when it closed.

hibeg
06-06-2020, 03:56 PM
If I am not mistaken, Mixu made his debut for us at St Mirren and we lost 2-0. He didn’t do much for us after that, certainly didn’t show up in derbies........:greengrin

George Best made his debut at Love St as well. We didn’t win that one either ☹️

Sammy7nil
06-06-2020, 04:04 PM
I once had a long haul flight, and it turned out the guy sat for a number of hours in the seat next to me was the Paisley Panda.

He was great value, some tremendous stories. He was also a director of a major construction firm "by day", so his weekend Panda antics were like his Jekyll & Hyde side.

He was up at Hampden in front of the "beaks" on a number of occasions.

He got in most trouble for challenging Broxy Bear to "a square go" via the pages of Daily Record sport in the lead up to a St Mirren Rangers game.

Broxy shat it, but the Panda got his kicks instead chasing Rangers subs down the touchline as they warmed up (they were Gazza & Jorg Albertz), with the Panda carrying a sign that read "The one true religion - Buddyism" on a St Mirren crest :)

Another was when he walked slowly to the away end in a Renfrewshire derby, with something big hidden inside a black bin liner he was carrying & a clearly very heavy rucksack on his back..
He threw away the bin liner to unveil a giant home made "Magic Tree Air Freshner" in St Mirren colours and some Morton fans complained as he "cleansed" the air behind their goal...
..but the topper was inside his rucksack was his son, in a wee panda outfit, with a smaller magic tree, who jumped out the rucksack and joined in :)

There were plenty others, it was a great way to spend a few hours:aok:

Nice story

Since452
06-06-2020, 04:16 PM
Like an away day to St Mirren. The old Love Street with the boozer right next to the away turnstiles. The guy who ran it was the double of Oliver Hardy. The pub mysteriously burned down. Onto the Alamo best away pub in the SPL it really added to the match day experience. 😂 Was gutted when it closed.

Funnily enough I was thinking their new stadium is one I quite like which is rare. Love Street was a great away day.

tynehibs
06-06-2020, 04:19 PM
Perhaps an away top in black and white stripes with a touch of green would boil their piss

greenlex
06-06-2020, 05:30 PM
Perhaps an away top in black and white stripes with a touch of green would boil their piss

I ****ing love this idea.

Real Emerald
06-06-2020, 05:36 PM

Think it was called Stringfelliows? I just remember it being so rammed you couldn’t move.

Pretty Boy
06-06-2020, 05:39 PM

St Mirrens 86 kit is a beauty, a near exactly replica with just a couple of green flashes would be lovely. Maybe mint green to match the Celtic kit worn on that day?

https://www.google.com/search?q=St+Mirren+1986+kit&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&prmd=sinv&sxsrf=ALeKk00vOMJoE9Vl27U2ICCw-LNPwpd5BQ:1591465078894&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwirp8y13e3pAhU-RBUIHYhyCR0Q_AUoAnoECA0QAg&biw=360&bih=657&dpr=3#imgrc=oRON2wgVaKRNeM

Glory Lurker
06-06-2020, 05:47 PM

Pretty sure he scored the winner when we went back in Jan/Feb though. Tough, tough game and a huge win because iirc Falkirk lost to a late goal?

As for your taste in music. I am concerned we have something in common :-). I am currently rethinking my life choices!

The Harp Awakes
06-06-2020, 05:56 PM
They certainly seem to hate the jumbos.

Got to say that ever since the trip we used to make to the old Love Street in the 80s, having a few bevvies in Steingfellows before and after the game, I've always had an affinity for St Mirren. Always a great day out and the Saints fans were a decent bunch.

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2020, 06:07 PM
Pretty sure he scored the winner when we went back in Jan/Feb though. Tough, tough game and a huge win because iirc Falkirk lost to a late goal?

As for your taste in music. I am concerned we have something in common :-). I am currently rethinking my life choices!

Aah, don’t worry about it. We will be fine, I won’t tell anyone if you don’t :greengrin

Glory Lurker
06-06-2020, 06:12 PM
Aah, don’t worry about it. We will be fine, I won’t tell anyone if you don’t :greengrin

Deal! :-)

jonty
06-06-2020, 06:12 PM
Jonty, you are a gentleman and a scholar. That’s the one :aok:

I feel really old now :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2020, 06:15 PM
I feel really old now :greengrin

I would have got there, but you obviously have better cognitive abilities from me :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2020, 06:16 PM
Deal! :-)

:aok: Sorted :greengrin

offshorehibby
06-06-2020, 06:58 PM

Think it was called Stringfelliows? I just remember it being so rammed you couldn’t move.

Why have i got the Bob Inn in my head.

SideBurns
06-06-2020, 08:36 PM

There was definitely Stringfellows right next to Love Street and, as you say, it was always mobbed.

green with envy
06-06-2020, 08:44 PM
Another fond St Mirren victory that stuck it up herts, is when they beat DUTD to win the SC as it prevented them from getting into Europe the following season.

SideBurns
06-06-2020, 08:50 PM
[

Of course this is 1 of the great myths of Scottish football. The fact is, if Hearts failed to get a point at Dens then Celtc only needed a 3-0 win to be champs. As it was with Hawrts pathetic & embarrassing capitulation, a 2-0 margin at Love St would have been sufficient & Celtc ended up top of the league by being 3 goals better off. Hearts scraped wins week after week that season & their rubbish goal difference finally caught up with them. We finished 3rd bottom that season & yet our GD was only 10 worse than Hearts. Just a great day!
Incidentally, I've never yet met a Hearts fan who knows the above. It's become part of their folklore that it was the 5-0 margin wot did for them!

St.Mirren also beat Hearts 6-2 at Love Street in the second game of the 85-86 season; a result which, obviously, did considerable and ultimately significant damage to their goal difference...

brog
06-06-2020, 09:00 PM
St.Mirren also beat Hearts 6-2 at Love Street in the second game of the 85-86 season; a result which, obviously, did considerable and ultimately significant damage to their goal difference...

I'd forgotten that! Our 5-0 loss to Celtc also contributed though we did draw with them twice that season.

Haymaker
06-06-2020, 09:11 PM
Cairters Corner on Twitter is very funny and took Scott Wilson to bits a while back after a reference to Paisley snakes.

Absolute class that lad. Follow him and he doesn't give any ****s.

SteveHFC
06-06-2020, 09:54 PM
Jonathan Obika should be our player of the year.

tynehibs
07-06-2020, 02:54 PM
Can we form a special relationship with them, or do we have to stiff them for a transfer fee first ?

Keith_M
08-06-2020, 07:50 AM
Can we form a special relationship with them, or do we have to stiff them for a transfer fee first ?

Maybe we could stiff them for any future fee we might owe for John McGinn.

That would definitely entitle us to have a range of half-and-half scarves, in celebration of our special relationship.

Since452
08-06-2020, 08:13 AM

I actually think the two clubs have a good relationship since the SJM transfer was negotiated. They were actually pretty decent with the Paul McGinn transfer too.

hibbyfraelibby
09-06-2020, 06:55 PM

Exactly. That was the result that "robbed" them of theor title and which they conveniently forget about.

Since452
09-06-2020, 07:13 PM
Exactly. That was the result that "robbed" them of theor title and which they conveniently forget about.

Or the 1-0 win at home to already relegated Clydebank the weekend before the game at Dens. But they blame St Mirren against Celtic..

EI255
09-06-2020, 07:33 PM
What's not to love about STMFC [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

lord bunberry
09-06-2020, 07:45 PM
I love the fact that this thread has attracted hatred from the jambos. Haha haha