PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Dalglish

Mibbes Aye
05-06-2020, 08:35 PM
Don't know if anyone caught the KD documentary earlier this evening on Sky. I think it might be repeated on Sky free-to-air channels. Lots of home videos, and to-camera from Kelly and our ex-player Paul. Alan Hansen does a lot of comment and is very good.

The footage from the glory European days is great, as is the stuff about he he built up a relationship with Ian Rush, and then transitioned into player-manager and brought in Beardsley, Barnes and Aldridge.

The Hillsbrough section is a hard watch and you get the real sense of how it changed him for ever.

BILLYHIBS
05-06-2020, 08:40 PM
If it’s the DVD ‘Kenny ‘ it is top drawer but as you say the part on Hillsborough is a hard watch

Pagan Hibernia
05-06-2020, 08:42 PM
I’ve never been a massive Dalglish fan but it’s a superb documentary

chasitup
05-06-2020, 09:58 PM
My hero when I was growing up. I loved it, the Hillsborough part was exceptionally difficult to watch and I've no idea how he got through that. Incredible.

Glory Lurker
05-06-2020, 10:11 PM

expresso
05-06-2020, 10:25 PM
Fantastic player and equally wonderful human being

Mibbes Aye
05-06-2020, 10:26 PM
There is a story that does the rounds, and I don’t doubt it is true. Dalglish agreed to turn out in a testimonial for us and was up front with Keith Wright. Keef asked him how they wanted to play and Kenny told him just to run in the channels and he would find him. And Keef scored a few goals.

In the documentary, there was a segment with Ian Rush where he basically said the same, and then they cut to footage of Dalglish getting the ball, shaking off one or two defenders and teeing up Rush or someone else, again and again.

Also lots of great goals himself. I remember seeing him at the time but there wasn’t the wall-to-wall coverage we have become accustomed to. I see similarities with Dennis Bergkamp, in terms of speed of thought.

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2020, 10:42 PM
Grew up watching King Kenny in action at Anfield my Liverpool idol. Was delighted to see him in a Hibs shirt at ER for Alan Sneddons testimonial

Eyrie
05-06-2020, 10:48 PM
There is a story that does the rounds, and I don’t doubt it is true. Dalglish agreed to turn out in a testimonial for us and was up front with Keith Wright. Keef asked him how they wanted to play and Kenny told him just to run in the channels and he would find him. And Keef scored a few goals.

Dalglish never left the centre circle for the entire half that he played and he still ran the show, setting up Wright for four goals.

Since452
05-06-2020, 11:33 PM
Lost a lot of time for him with Suarez saga

My old man
07-06-2020, 08:22 AM
Can someone please tell me how to see this
programme on sky/virgin as I’ve tried searching for it

cheers

GGTTH

Phil MaGlass
07-06-2020, 08:23 AM
Hail The King.

Mibbes Aye
07-06-2020, 01:52 PM

cheers

GGTTH

If you use the search function on Sky it is called “Kenny”

Mibbes Aye
07-06-2020, 01:59 PM

cheers

GGTTH

It is actually on later, 5.30pm, on Sky Documentaries, it is channel 114.

brog
07-06-2020, 02:08 PM
Dalglish never left the centre circle for the entire half that he played and he still ran the show, setting up Wright for four goals.

Then he declined to go to dinner as he had to rush back. Got someone to get him a fish supper & a bottle of 'ginger from Easter Road & drove straight back to Liverpool. Some man.

Bobo
07-06-2020, 02:15 PM

Wee article here about it

http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/hibernian-vs-aston-villa

h1bs4life
07-06-2020, 02:28 PM
Watched it on sky catch up. Can mind him playing for Celtic , Alex Edwards is on the documentary kicking King Kenny.
A fantastic football player , very kind and humble human being who did all he could
to support the families of the Hillsborough disaster.

Eyrie
07-06-2020, 02:34 PM
Wee article here about it

http://progs.fairlyoriginal.com/hibernian-vs-aston-villa

Very interesting, particularly how my memory of the match is wrong in that he wasn't replaced at half time.

Billy Whizz
07-06-2020, 05:09 PM
Then he declined to go to dinner as he had to rush back. Got someone to get him a fish supper & a bottle of 'ginger from Easter Road & drove straight back to Liverpool. Some man.

Think he’s a White Pudding Supper man, Brog😄

Never tasted one, any good

SideBurns
07-06-2020, 05:17 PM
Grew up watching King Kenny in action at Anfield my Liverpool idol. Was delighted to see him in a Hibs shirt at ER for Alan Sneddons testimonial

One of my greatest ever fitba' memories (and likely to stay that way forever) was being at Hampden the night he scored the 3rd v Spain in a 3-1 win. I was at the other end of the ground (in what was known as The Rangers End at the time), but the distance couldn't disguise what a fantastic goal it was.
Typical Dalglish in many ways - taking the ball with his back to goal, but used his quick turn, drop of the shoulder (and big erse) to get away from the defender and curl it into the top corner.

A truly fantastic footballer.

BILLYHIBS
07-06-2020, 05:22 PM
One of my greatest ever fitba' memories (and likely to stay that way forever) was being at Hampden the night he scored the 3rd v Spain in a 3-1 win. I was at the other end of the ground (in what was known as The Rangers End at the time), but the distance couldn't disguise what a fantastic goal it was.
Typical Dalglish in many ways - taking the ball with his back to goal, but used his quick turn, drop of the shoulder (and big erse) to get away from the defender and curl it into the top corner.

A truly fantastic footballer.
Was there that night anaw

It’s the way his arms stretch over his head and a big smile creeps ower his pus! :greengrin

Pretty Boy
07-06-2020, 05:25 PM
I'm too young to remember Dalglish the player but he has always struck me as a very decent man.

My Dad idolised him.

SideBurns
07-06-2020, 07:53 PM
Was there that night anaw

It’s the way his arms stretch over his head and a big smile creeps ower his pus! :greengrin

Aye, the classic King Kenny celebration 😁.

My auld man took me on a supporters bus from The Norhet, where he drank at the time. Thanks Dad (up wae the angels)!

SideBurns
07-06-2020, 08:01 PM
I'm too young to remember Dalglish the player but he has always struck me as a very decent man.

My Dad idolised him.

Funnily enough, the one time I saw him in a Liverpool jersey was a disappointment. I'd gone down to Chester for a tournament with the boys' club, and we had tickets for the main stand at Anfield for the match v Aston Villa. It was a great game, 3-3 draw and brilliant atmosphere (we were seated near the Kop end). But Kenny couldn't do anything right; he was up against fellow Scots Internationalist Allan Evans and struggled to get past him all afternoon! Even the best have their off days.

Smartie
07-06-2020, 08:28 PM

My Dad idolised him.

Yeah, I’m gutted I’m a wee bit too young to have been able to fully appreciate him as a player, as he sounds like my favourite kind of player.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
07-06-2020, 08:30 PM

A truly fantastic footballer.#

Was in the Rangers end that night as well. Kenny Dalglish, best football player I have ever seen.

eastender1
07-06-2020, 08:46 PM
#

Was in the Rangers end that night as well. Kenny Dalglish, best football player I have ever seen.

Just for variety was in the Celtic end that night. Was staying through in Glasgow at the time, so saw all the home qualifying games in that group

Right behind the line of the ball as it arced in. Good times to watch Scotland

Sammy7nil
07-06-2020, 09:05 PM
I was at Anfield when Kenny scored against Wales great night.

Baader
07-06-2020, 09:10 PM
Everyone wanted to be Kenny Dalglish when they played football as kids when I grew up. Don't particularly like Liverpool FC as family have Everton connections but love Dalglish.

Much respect for him too after what he did in the aftermath of Hillsborough. Attending so many funerals, he really did sacrifice himself for his club and for the city. Living legend.

stantonhibby
07-06-2020, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I’m gutted I’m a wee bit too young to have been able to fully appreciate him as a player, as he sounds like my favourite kind of player.

I remember him well.....great player. Pretty sure he used to get a bit of stick when he played for Scotland...as the view was he rarely replicated his club form for country.

green with envy
07-06-2020, 09:19 PM
Think he’s a White Pudding Supper man, Brog😄

Never tasted one, any good

I'm pretty sure he asked for a fish supper, single black pudding and a bottle of Cream Soda.

HoboHarry
08-06-2020, 02:46 AM
I was at Anfield when Kenny scored against Wales great night.

Me as well, greatest game I've ever attended....

BILLYHIBS
08-06-2020, 05:52 AM
Buchan on the overlap..............Oh! What a goal! :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
08-06-2020, 06:30 AM
Some people (not just footballers) have an aire about them. I can remember watching Dalglish at Easter Road as a boy when the smellies came calling and he just stood out from the crowd. It says all that needs to be said in that he more than filled Kevin Keegan's boots (who was a great player in his own right) after his move to Liverpool.

Col L
08-06-2020, 06:37 AM

That was a huge thrill of mine - finally seeing my boyhood hero King Kenny wearing a Hibs shirt and I’ve still got a framed picture from that night. Kenny ran the show and Keith gorged on the service he was getting. It was the same month as our Skol League Cup final win - good times.

I think American Cream Soda was his ‘ginger’ of choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil MaGlass
08-06-2020, 08:57 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8uHW3nXoAAhWPQ?format=jpg&name=medium

IWasThere2016
08-06-2020, 10:14 AM

American Cream Soda :agree:

Met KD once. Not a pleasurable experience. Some player though.

Met a few of that Liverpool team/era .. Hansen - was class, McDermott and Whelan - brilliant guys :top marks