PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Cup 19/20

Hibeesmad
04-06-2020, 07:55 PM
SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell confirms that the SFA intend to complete the semi finals and final of this years Scottish Cup in front of supporters this calendar year. But accepts that wont be possible if social distancing measures are not relaxed.

At least the competition looks pretty much definite to be completed.

tamig
04-06-2020, 10:34 PM
Bin it I say.

The 90+2
04-06-2020, 11:19 PM
Bin it I say.

We would lose out on at least £1m and a chance to pump they ****s. No danger.

tamig
04-06-2020, 11:36 PM
We would lose out on at least £1m and a chance to pump they ****s. No danger.

Its the season 19/20 Cup and the season’s over. Playing the remaining games with a potentially different team is farcical imo. Where’s the million coming from because it won’t be gate receipts - that’s for sure.

monktonharp
05-06-2020, 12:01 AM
Bin it I say.no way. play it out if possible, and it is still such

G B Young
05-06-2020, 12:29 AM
SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell confirms that the SFA intend to complete the semi finals and final of this years Scottish Cup in front of supporters this calendar year. But accepts that wont be possible if social distancing measures are not relaxed.

At least the competition looks pretty much definite to be completed.

Why bother? Season's over.

JammyDoidger
05-06-2020, 01:36 AM
They should be the first matches played. Before any new season kicks off!

majorhibs
05-06-2020, 02:23 AM
Are youse for real? Ken Scottish fitba? Winners of SC for that year, name on trophy, immortality 8 that’s your team’s YEAR! We’re in the semi’s against a terrible set of poppy theives! & you’re want it binned? Not much Hibs minded that, when a chance tae get our names ontae that trophy a 4th time!

hibbyboy1
05-06-2020, 05:54 AM
Why can't they finish it and offer a place in Europe to the winner for the season after, so that there would be 2 Scottish Cup winner's in it. We might have an extra place in Europe anyway.

The Spaceman
05-06-2020, 07:42 AM
Given that there are only three fixtures outstanding, absolutely makes sense to restart it. Even if they finish it behind closed doors, it is it is still a hugely important part of our game. Would be a brilliant way to restart as well - three huge matches between 3 of our best teams (and the worst, albeit resulting in a derby) with partially muted glory at the end of it. Bring it on.

H18 SFR
05-06-2020, 07:43 AM
Why bother? Season's over.

What harm does it do finishing it?

My old man
05-06-2020, 07:58 AM

My sentiments exactly!!
The Tache has already stated it will be completed
in the tache we trust
GGTTH

Onion
05-06-2020, 08:00 AM
Be great to complete it but squads will be very different to those that started the competition - except perhaps Celtic. Going to be like a mini Cup competition.

Springbank
05-06-2020, 08:00 AM
Bin it I say.

Sorry but - on this topic- open your eyes man

Try to appreciate the importance of football & a derby cup semi final to those who have been sick

My personal story, I got covid on 6 March, badly.
It took 50 days to recover, in my case.
But do you know what got me through?

Those nights where you turn in to bed partly in fear, as your already-shallow breathing is getting worse & you're not entirely sure you'll wake up in the morning....on those nights the final thought was:

"No bxstard illness is going to make me miss that cup tie"

It was my hope & my motivation

So please dont you dare give it away cheaply

PatHead
05-06-2020, 08:08 AM

Try to appreciate the importance of football & a derby cup semi final to those who have been sick

Those nights where you turn in to bed partly in fear, as your already-shallow breathing is getting worse & you're not entirely sure you'll wake up in the morning....on those nights the final thought was:

Glad to hear you have recovered. I agree, cup must be done to a finish. We are just 180 minutes away from winning it again.

Tambo
05-06-2020, 08:18 AM
Can anyone confirm how many tickets had been sold for this before football was suspended?

I really hope we can get fans to this game.

The dalmeny
05-06-2020, 08:21 AM

Fair play to you sir

Steven79
05-06-2020, 08:39 AM

So please dont you dare give it away cheaplyGlad that you are better.

Well said btw, bring it on!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

.Sean.
05-06-2020, 08:47 AM
Can anyone confirm how many tickets had been sold for this before football was suspended?

I really hope we can get fans to this game.

Tickets weren’t on sale yet

JimBHibees
05-06-2020, 09:10 AM

Hope you are feeling much better. :aok:

hibsfan7
05-06-2020, 09:25 AM
I would just award it to the first team of the last 4 to who ever won it

Ringothedog
05-06-2020, 09:35 AM

Celtic then?

Pete
05-06-2020, 09:37 AM
I've heard Hearts fans come up with a theory about why it should be awarded to them. They're serious too.
Something to do with them having won the most games or something. It's tiring having to explain to them how knock out tournaments work 🤣

MWHIBBIES
05-06-2020, 09:56 AM
Beautifully set up for us to lose, maybe more than any game ever.

we are hibs
05-06-2020, 10:04 AM
It should only be played if its infront of a full house. No partial crowds or behind closed doors. If thats not possible then it should be scrapped.

G B Young
05-06-2020, 10:05 AM

No 'harm'. I just think that by playing it either mid-winter or sometime next year it would bear no relation to last season's tournament. All four squads would be likely to be much changed and playing a tournament from a previous season in the middle of a new season strikes me as odd. The priority is to get next season up and running as safely as possible.

Personally I think the SFA should asterisk it and say 'tournament abandoned due to Covid-19'. A couple of years down the line nobody's going to be that bothered. For me it's already gone.

Future17
05-06-2020, 10:11 AM

Celtic then?

Celtc were last. Hibs were first.

G B Young
05-06-2020, 10:12 AM
Are youse for real? Ken Scottish fitba? Winners of SC for that year, name on trophy, immortality 8 that’s your team’s YEAR! We’re in the semi’s against a terrible set of poppy theives! & you’re want it binned? Not much Hibs minded that, when a chance tae get our names ontae that trophy a 4th time!

I'd imagine that even with Hearts being a Championship side there's a good chance they'd be a stronger (or at least much more expensively assembled side) than us by the time any re-staged cup tie came around. They throw everything their benefactors could provide them with at getting promotion - and likely a bit more if there was a carrot of beating Hibs at Hampden. At present we're going into next season with a decidedly weak squad, with cash for signings likely to be thin on the ground to put it mildly.

Alan62
05-06-2020, 10:31 AM
Absolutely finish it. The league season has been ended prematurely but there's no reason why the 2019/20 Scottish Cup can't be completed in 2020 at the moment as it looks like football will be allowed to return. I think as long as it can be finished before the next cup tournament begins then we go for it.

JohnMcM
05-06-2020, 10:32 AM

:agree::agree: You and I both have the t-shirts to say we've learned from many bitter disappointments.:agree::agree:

JimBHibees
05-06-2020, 10:55 AM
:agree::agree: You and I both have the t-shirts to say we've learned from many bitter disappointments.:agree::agree:

That's the spirit :greengrin

Andy74
05-06-2020, 11:00 AM
No 'harm'. I just think that by playing it either mid-winter or sometime next year it would bear no relation to last season's tournament. All four squads would be likely to be much changed and playing a tournament from a previous season in the middle of a new season strikes me as odd. The priority is to get next season up and running as safely as possible.

Personally I think the SFA should asterisk it and say 'tournament abandoned due to Covid-19'. A couple of years down the line nobody's going to be that bothered. For me it's already gone.

I don’t think the squad thing matters. We’re all in the same boat, the clubs got to this stage.

You can’t guarantee what players are available round to round anyway. Granted this takes that up a level.

So long as it is played in 2020 then let’s get it played.

Jones28
05-06-2020, 11:06 AM

I’d be astonished if we won.

Hibeesmad
05-06-2020, 02:54 PM
If the Championship doesn't get started until October and the semi final is around that time or even before then, Hearts could go into it not playing a competitive game for over 5/6 months.

hibbyfraelibby
05-06-2020, 03:15 PM
Its the season 19/20 Cup and the season’s over. Playing the remaining games with a potentially different team is farcical imo. Where’s the million coming from because it won’t be gate receipts - that’s for sure.

League Season was called by the SPFL but the governing body, the SFA did not call the 2019/2020 season so its not nonsense to finish the cup. 3 games before the end of 2020 looks entirely doable.

As for squads being totally different so what.

At present lower league clubs play early rounds before the Winter Window closes and could technically play completely different squad from the one they started with.

Play it out. Its worth a 7 figure sum and tgat cash will be welcomed given the loss of a 6 figure sum agreeing to end the league early.

Brummie_Hibs
05-06-2020, 03:27 PM
It is set to be their new 5-1 gimmick.

Bristolhibby
05-06-2020, 03:36 PM
They should be the first matches played. Before any new season kicks off!

This. Would love Hibs to be SFA Cup winners 2020. Even if there were no fans. I’d still take it.

J

Michael
05-06-2020, 03:46 PM
Chance of winning a trophy, let's finish it.

HH81
05-06-2020, 04:06 PM

Agreed.

Dashing Bob S
05-06-2020, 04:16 PM

It’s absolutely crazy for us not to consider finishing it is we can. We’re two wins away from the glory of 2016, one of them an Edinburgh derby ant Hampden and people are getting excited at the prospect of playing St Johnstone, Rangers and Kilmarnock four times in the league? Come on chaps!

majorhibs
05-06-2020, 09:21 PM
Some ae the negativity! How can ye handle fitba, when there’s “a chance you might lose”? Some of us watch Hibs hopin we might win! We’ll get the tix, you worriers can watch on TV & turn over if it gets too much for ye’se!

MWHIBBIES
05-06-2020, 09:36 PM
Some ae the negativity! How can ye handle fitba, when there’s “a chance you might lose”? Some of us watch Hibs hopin we might win! We’ll get the tix, you worriers can watch on TV & turn over if it gets too much for ye’se!

I watch Hibs hoping we will win as well. Doesn't mean I'm not realistic, it will be a very tough game and would be a real disaster if we lost giving their situation. It would also be a big story if we lost. Hence me saying its all set up.

Pretty Boy
05-06-2020, 09:54 PM
Seems a bit of a farce to continue a competition with completely different sqauds to the one that player the previous round after the previous season has been called compete in every other domestic competition.

I've not got any strong feelings either way. I won't lose any sleep if the cup is shelved for last season though.

Monts
05-06-2020, 10:38 PM
I can't help but feel it wouldn't be going ahead if Celtic weren't going for the quadruple treble

Glory Lurker
05-06-2020, 10:43 PM
Everything has changed since we put ICT out. We're struggling to deliver a new season. Last season's Cup is gone.

majorhibs
06-06-2020, 03:42 AM
Everything has changed since we put ICT out. We're struggling to deliver a new season. Last season's Cup is gone.
My perception is! I think! In my view! You knowitall lot stay in yer eggshells! Rest o us want to see Hibs in a semi final we won our way into won’t miss you much! Chance to win the Scottish? Yes please!

Hibeesmad
06-06-2020, 06:54 AM
feel a bit gutted for the players who have now left who helped us get there- McNulty, Omeonga and Docherty all scored for us in the rounds leading up to the semi final and may now miss out on what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity of reaching the Scottish Cup final and even winning it.

tamig
06-06-2020, 10:34 AM
League Season was called by the SPFL but the governing body, the SFA did not call the 2019/2020 season so its not nonsense to finish the cup. 3 games before the end of 2020 looks entirely doable.

As for squads being totally different so what.

At present lower league clubs play early rounds before the Winter Window closes and could technically play completely different squad from the one they started with.

Play it out. Its worth a 7 figure sum and tgat cash will be welcomed given the loss of a 6 figure sum agreeing to end the league early.

Its my own view - and I seem to be in a minority - that there would be little value in playing out last season’s cup in the new seasons. I don’t know what impact no or reduced gates would have on the cash available but it will take a huge hit.

I also think there’s an element of devaluation to it. If we were to win the Cup it wouldn’t feel the same with no crowd, no celebrations in the boozers and no parade. Some of these things might happen in some form but for me full focus should be on the season ahead.

G B Young
06-06-2020, 10:39 AM
Its my own view - and I seem to be in a minority - that there would be little value in playing out last season’s cup in the new seasons. I don’t know what impact no or reduced gates would have on the cash available but it will take a huge hit.

I also think there’s an element of devaluation to it. If we were to win the Cup it wouldn’t feel the same with no crowd, no celebrations in the boozers and no parade. Some of these things might happen in some form but for me full focus should be on the season ahead.

100% agree.

where'stheslope
06-06-2020, 10:43 AM
What happens if we sign players cup tied in 2020 season with other clubs????
What happens to loan players who have returned that have been cup tied????
It would make it to complicated, so I say bin it!!!!

Eyrie
06-06-2020, 11:46 AM
What happens if we sign players cup tied in 2020 season with other clubs????
What happens to loan players who have returned that have been cup tied????
It would make it to complicated, so I say bin it!!!!

That's where I'm at, despite spending most of last season telling the Celtc season ticket holder at work that we'll continue our duopoly on recent trophies when Hibs win the Scottish Cup. Took him a while to work it out.

Hibeesmad mentioned McNulty, Omeonga and Docherty, and we can add Whittaker, Slivka, Bogdan and Kamberi to the list of players who won't be with us by the time the semi is played.

We could even have the scenario where Celtc sign Marciano and Boyle this summer, raising the possibility of two of our key players featuring for the opposition in the final.

majorhibs
07-06-2020, 03:22 AM
That's where I'm at, despite spending most of last season telling the Celtc season ticket holder at work that we'll continue our duopoly on recent trophies when Hibs win the Scottish Cup. Took him a while to work it out.

Hibeesmad mentioned McNulty, Omeonga and Docherty, and we can add Whittaker, Slivka, Bogdan and Kamberi to the list of players who won't be with us by the time the semi is played.

We could even have the scenario where Celtc sign Marciano and Boyle this summer, raising the possibility of two of our key players featuring for the opposition in the final.

Sorry but all this nonsense & negativity just bursts heeds sometimes. Kamberi? You seriously using that? Scottish. Cup. Semi. Final!

LancsHibs
07-06-2020, 06:43 AM
Farcical. Can’t sort start of next season with what the shape of the league structure is and we expect an adequate end to last seasons cup competition? Couldn’t organise a school fare tombola stall!

hibbydog
07-06-2020, 07:04 AM
I could take it or leave it.

I’m mad keen to get revenge on the pink financial cheats for 2006 and 2012. Were due them a thumping and it was set up beautifully for us to do so.

But doing it at an empty stadium would feel a bit odd. And let’s be honest, we’re pretty much guaranteed a doing from Celtic in the final.

Of course there’s always a chance we could win it. But doing it in an empty (or partially full) stadium would be weird.

I wonder how Liverpool fans will feel when they eventually lift the league trophy this season

Eyrie
07-06-2020, 09:38 AM
Sorry but all this nonsense & negativity just bursts heeds sometimes. Kamberi? You seriously using that? Scottish. Cup. Semi. Final!

I don't mind being the winners in 2021 instead.

Billy Whizz
07-06-2020, 09:42 AM
The semi is a game we just can’t lose

MWHIBBIES
07-06-2020, 10:01 AM

Why are people so obsessed with trying to sell these guys to celtic? Not one single creditable source has ever done so.

Eyrie
07-06-2020, 10:10 AM
Why are people so obsessed with trying to sell these guys to celtic? Not one single creditable source has ever done so.

I can't see Celtc offering us enough for two players who be rotational for them rather than regular starters, given that particular club's expectations.

I'm pointing out how farcical it could be by highlighting two good players with only a year left on their contracts, a situation that does lead to offers being accepted by the club.