PDA

View Full Version : John O'Neill

heretoday
03-06-2020, 06:50 PM
He scored some important goals for us, not least in the 6-2 game.

He also scored a goal against Hearts, I seem to remember.

Iggy Pope
03-06-2020, 06:51 PM

He also scored a goal against Hearts, I seem to remember.

Equaliser at Tynie, 1-1. Franck the manager continuing his undefeated record against them.

Smartie
03-06-2020, 06:59 PM
Brilliant wee player.

Very important player in a good side that wasn't exactly short of quality.

I liked him very much.

Shame it all ended a bit strange when we couldn't really afford to pay to play him. It was a strange time for Scottish football though and I suppose Hibs deserve credit for adapting to the changing financial climate quicker than anyone else.

h1bs4life
03-06-2020, 07:00 PM
Equaliser at Tynie, 1-1. Franck the manager continuing his undefeated record against them.

Was very late in the game if I remember right . Everybody ended up about 3 rows in front of where they were sitting jumping about . Im sure Derek Townsley had a great chance to win it for us just after equaliser.

oneone73
03-06-2020, 07:01 PM

Very late on, irc. Franck banged his head against the Tynie dugout getting up to celebrate.

HibbyAndy
03-06-2020, 07:04 PM
Was very late in the game if I remember right . Everybody ended up about 3 rows in front of where they were sitting jumping about . Im sure Derek Townsley had a great chance to win it for us just after equaliser.

:agree: Townsley should have stole it for us at the end , Smash and grab , They have done it to us a million times over the years

O'neil was brilliant for hibs , Classy player

Pretty Boy
03-06-2020, 07:10 PM
Was working as a delivery driver recently, might still be. Used to be in my work quite often. Nice guy and a cracking player.

Frazerbob
03-06-2020, 07:17 PM
Cracking player. Did his career with us not fizzle out due to an appearance clause in his contract meaning he stopped getting picked? Or am just making **** up?

h1bs4life
03-06-2020, 07:22 PM
Sure we got him on a free from St Johnstone and he got a fair wack based on appearances. A very good player another one who was immense in the 6-2 game

zitelli62
03-06-2020, 07:23 PM
Brilliant player for us not often I'm right but said to my mates when we signed him he was just the type of player that team needed a grafter with a bit of skill allowing the flair players to do there stuff had to get one right sometime.

Cod Boy
03-06-2020, 07:24 PM
Cracking player. Did his career with us not fizzle out due to an appearance clause in his contract meaning he stopped getting picked? Or am just making **** up?

Think your right he got a big bonus for every appearance when the tv deal went they couldn’t afford to pay it.

Baader
03-06-2020, 07:25 PM
Great player for us. As said, he got some important goals for us including two in semi final v Livi in 2001 to see us into the final.

Remember seeing him play for St Johnstone against Hibs and he always played very well. We couldn't beat Saints for a while around that time.

Think it was true that his appearance bonus was too much so ended up not getting games around Blobby's time.

The 90+2
03-06-2020, 07:36 PM
Thought he had died ffs.

One of the most underrated players we’ve ever had. I was delighted when he got his Scotland cap. Very well deserved.

The 90+2
03-06-2020, 07:37 PM
Great player for us. As said, he got some important goals for us including two in semi final v Livi in 2001 to see us into the final.

Remember seeing him play for St Johnstone against Hibs and he always played very well. We couldn't beat Saints for a while around that time.

Think it was true that his appearance bonus was too much so ended up not getting games around Blobby's time.

I could be wrong but sure he scored and was man of the match against us in a midweek cup game against us the year before he signed. It was freezing and we deserved the win! First season back up under GJP. (Goalies calamity I also think).

jacomo
03-06-2020, 07:52 PM
Yeah I liked him a lot. He always put in a shift.

erin go bragh
03-06-2020, 11:13 PM

He also scored another goal against Hearts, I seem to remember.

Fixed that for you ;) sorry 😐

Dmas
04-06-2020, 07:42 AM
Was working as a delivery driver recently, might still be. Used to be in my work quite often. Nice guy and a cracking player.

Saw him at the gym a few months back bottled it to speak to him though, hasn’t changed much at all over the years, loved him as player for us

McSwanky
04-06-2020, 08:17 AM
One of my favourite ever Hibs players. Bite, skill and a proper never-say-die attitude.

Auckland Hibs
04-06-2020, 09:44 AM

It was an absolute sitter - was sitting front row at the PBS and couldn't believe he missed it.

Loved John O'Neill for us, great player and a top bloke - was lucky enough to have had a couple of decent chats with him and he couldn't speak highly enough about Hibs.

Joe6-2
04-06-2020, 10:31 AM
Thought he had died ffs.

One of the most underrated players we’ve ever had. I was delighted when he got his Scotland cap. Very well deserved.

Me too! Horrible feeling

Really liked him when he played for us

Squealing pig
05-06-2020, 02:32 AM
The type of player we have missed in recent seasons . Great player with bit of dig

allezsauzee
05-06-2020, 06:36 AM
Jonjo was a player I had long admired before we signed him so I was delighted when we did. Got a long overdue international call up but the genius that was Craig Brown decided to play him at full back if I remember correctly.

Broken Gnome
05-06-2020, 07:38 AM
It was an absolute sitter - was sitting front row at the PBS and couldn't believe he missed it.

Loved John O'Neill for us, great player and a top bloke - was lucky enough to have had a couple of decent chats with him and he couldn't speak highly enough about Hibs.

I mind being there and can't for the life of remember this Townsley sitter that a few folk can recall?

He definitely made one run into the box after O'Neil's goal but had a heavy touch and it went through to Niemi, but don't seem to remember coming out of the ground thinking we should have won the game.

Auckland Hibs
05-06-2020, 08:30 AM
I mind being there and can't for the life of remember this Townsley sitter that a few folk can recall?

He definitely made one run into the box after O'Neil's goal but had a heavy touch and it went through to Niemi, but don't seem to remember coming out of the ground thinking we should have won the game.

I was sitting on the right hand side of the goal, pretty much behind the post - IIRC he did take a heavy first touch but I thought he had a chance to hit it earlier, he was only around 6 yards from the goal.

My memory may be playing tricks but I'm still convinced it was a sitter - don't believe we deserved to win the game, but how many times have they done it to us over the years - pumped them all game and they sneak an equaliser or undeserved winner.

Will have a look on YouTube for any highlights.

jgl07
05-06-2020, 10:53 AM
Is it John O’Neil you are talking about?

Or are you confusing him with Michael O’Neill?

McSwanky
05-06-2020, 01:54 PM
Is it John O’Neil you are talking about?

Or are you confusing him with Michael O’Neill?

There's always one, eh? :greengrin I suspect most others noticed and just let it go!

BS44
05-06-2020, 01:58 PM
He was in the boozer next to New Douglas Park with his brother and two nephews when we played Hamilton last season. Had a quick chat about him playing for Hibs, said he really enjoyed it, also mentioned all the team getting crew cuts apart from Sauzee at start of season 2000(?)

His nephews didn't know he played in the Hibs team that jumped them 6 2 🙁