PDA

View Full Version : Black Lives Matter

proud_and_green
03-06-2020, 10:11 AM
Hibs tweet

https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1267884023633846273?s=19

Hearts continue to whinge about anything they can!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Peevemor
03-06-2020, 10:13 AM
Hibs tweet

I saw something similar from the Community Foundation too. :top marks

snedzuk
03-06-2020, 02:57 PM
leaving politics out of football would be good

Peevemor
03-06-2020, 02:58 PM

I agree.

That's not politics though.

jacomo
03-06-2020, 03:01 PM

Impossible and pointless.

People only tend to say this when they disagree with the political point being made.

hibee316
03-06-2020, 03:11 PM

Could you explain how Black Lives matters is political?

Vault Boy
03-06-2020, 03:21 PM
Just as a wee PSA: There is a thread about BLM, the protests and the police on the Holy Ground - so if it's an issue you feel strongly about or have an interest in, I'd encourage you to get involved there.

For this thread, please keep it to discussing Hibs' Tweet and show of support. Thank you. 🇳🇬

I was personally glad to see Hibs make a statement too. We've had plenty of BAME players give their all for us. 👏

Monts
03-06-2020, 03:36 PM
Hibs tweet

A good tweet from hibs, and something I am glad to see we are supporting.

I am not sure the point scoring about hearts is appropriate, and takes away from the important message being put forward.

Bristolhibby
03-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Top marks from Hibs.

Considering the prejudice that our founders must have faced in 19th Century Scotland it’s right and proper that we as a club call out all forms of bigotry.

Waiting to see if The The Rangers make a statement?

J

Renfrew_Hibby
03-06-2020, 03:44 PM
Could you explain how Black Lives matters is political?

Exactly, its human decency towards fellow man.

Monts
03-06-2020, 03:50 PM
A great thread on the subject here

https://twitter.com/clairewillett/status/1266894029498675200

Obviously it is based on the US, but you can certainly imagine similar things happening to the Irish here around the time of our foundation.

Cabbage East
03-06-2020, 04:13 PM

Except this isn’t politics.

Brightside
03-06-2020, 04:38 PM

Ffs

Brightside
03-06-2020, 04:39 PM
Just as a wee PSA: There is a thread about BLM, the protests and the police on the Holy Ground - so if it's an issue you feel strongly about or have an interest in, I'd encourage you to get involved there.

For this thread, please keep it to discussing Hibs' Tweet and show of support. Thank you. 🇳🇬

I was personally glad to see Hibs make a statement too. We've had plenty of BAME players give their all for us. 👏

I’m going to avoid that just in case we have any fans posting anything against BLM

Keith_M
03-06-2020, 04:47 PM
A good tweet from hibs, and something I am glad to see we are supporting.

I am not sure the point scoring about hearts is appropriate, and takes away from the important message being put forward.

Agreed.

Hearts have also made similar tweets.

proud_and_green
03-06-2020, 05:45 PM
Agreed.

You're right, of course, it was as much about the relative importance of the various issues around football at the moment.

Vault Boy
03-06-2020, 05:49 PM
Agreed.

Only one top flight club in Scotland who didn't. No prizes for guessing, unfortunately.

neil7908
03-06-2020, 05:52 PM
Well done Hibs

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2020, 06:40 PM

Strange post as you are the only one to mention politics!

Well done Hibs.

Iggy Pope
03-06-2020, 06:44 PM

Russell Latapy and Marvin Bartley. Perhaps the two finest political moves Hibs ever made?

Billy Whizz
03-06-2020, 06:46 PM
Russell Latapy and Marvin Bartley. Perhaps the two finest political moves Hibs ever made?

And loved and respected by all Hibs fans

Smiggy 7-0
03-06-2020, 07:26 PM
And loved and respected by all Hibs fans
Although he did't play much always thought Craig Rocastle was warmly welcomed by us, think he appreciated that.

Andy74
03-06-2020, 07:58 PM
You could get a top class team and subs from the black players that have represented us (keeper might be a struggle though)

Makalambay

De La Cruz
Bamba
Ambrose
Boco

Agathe
Bartley
Latapy
Rougier

Malonga
Harper

Subs:

Fontaine
Doumbe
Rocastle
Andrews
Omeonga
Pinau
Donaldson

Not quoted:

Konte
Konde
Rudge
Dacquin
Hurtado
Noubissie
Jean
Antione-Curier
Thicot
Kujabi
Martis
Gattheusi
Sowumni
Palsson
Feruz
Nelom
Agogo
Agyepong
Humphrey
Haynes
Sinclair
Boateng
Bigirimana
Johnson

Must be some I've missed?

Lancs Harp
03-06-2020, 08:26 PM
You could get a top class team and subs from the black players that have represented us (keeper might be a struggle though)

Makalambay

De La Cruz
Bamba
Ambrose
Boco

Agathe
Bartley
Latapy
Rougier

Malonga
Harper

Subs:

Fontaine
Doumbe
Rocastle
Andrews
Omeonga
Pinau
Donaldson

Not quoted:

Konte
Konde
Rudge
Dacquin
Hurtado
Noubissie
Jean
Antione-Curier
Thicot
Kujabi
Martis
Gattheusi
Sowumni
Palsson
Feruz
Nelom
Agogo
Agyepong
Humphrey
Haynes
Sinclair
Boateng
Bigirimana
Johnson

Jim Black :wink:

St Pauli Hibee
03-06-2020, 09:09 PM

Makalambay

De La Cruz
Bamba
Ambrose
Boco

Agathe
Bartley
Latapy
Rougier

Malonga
Harper

Subs:

Fontaine
Doumbe
Rocastle
Andrews
Omeonga
Pinau
Donaldson

Not quoted:

Konte
Konde
Rudge
Dacquin
Hurtado
Noubissie
Jean
Antione-Curier
Thicot
Kujabi
Martis
Gattheusi
Sowumni
Palsson
Feruz
Nelom
Agogo
Agyepong
Humphrey
Haynes
Sinclair
Boateng
Bigirimana
Johnson

Zemmama & Benji

Greencore
03-06-2020, 09:16 PM
Zemmama & Benji

Faycal Rherras

Andy74
03-06-2020, 09:28 PM
Zemmama & Benji

I think that might be a whole other debate!

easty
03-06-2020, 10:08 PM

Makalambay

De La Cruz
Bamba
Ambrose
Boco

Agathe
Bartley
Latapy
Rougier

Malonga
Harper

Subs:

Fontaine
Doumbe
Rocastle
Andrews
Omeonga
Pinau
Donaldson

Not quoted:

Konte
Konde
Rudge
Dacquin
Hurtado
Noubissie
Jean
Antione-Curier
Thicot
Kujabi
Martis
Gattheusi
Sowumni
Palsson
Feruz
Nelom
Agogo
Agyepong
Humphrey
Haynes
Sinclair
Boateng
Bigirimana
Johnson

Vaz Te

Baader
03-06-2020, 10:09 PM
Akpo Sodje

CropleyWasGod
03-06-2020, 10:11 PM
Ricky Hill.

lapsedhibee
04-06-2020, 08:43 AM

Missed out the other Showumni. Didn't both brothers play for us, at different times?

Hibeesmad
04-06-2020, 08:47 AM

Makalambay

De La Cruz
Bamba
Ambrose
Boco

Agathe
Bartley
Latapy
Rougier

Malonga
Harper

Subs:

Fontaine
Doumbe
Rocastle
Andrews
Omeonga
Pinau
Donaldson

Not quoted:

Konte
Konde
Rudge
Dacquin
Hurtado
Noubissie
Jean
Antione-Curier
Thicot
Kujabi
Martis
Gattheusi
Sowumni
Palsson
Feruz
Nelom
Agogo
Agyepong
Humphrey
Haynes
Sinclair
Boateng
Bigirimana
Johnson

Isaiah Osbourne

Since452
04-06-2020, 09:28 AM

Makalambay

De La Cruz
Bamba
Ambrose
Boco

Agathe
Bartley
Latapy
Rougier

Malonga
Harper

Subs:

Fontaine
Doumbe
Rocastle
Andrews
Omeonga
Pinau
Donaldson

Not quoted:

Konte
Konde
Rudge
Dacquin
Hurtado
Noubissie
Jean
Antione-Curier
Thicot
Kujabi
Martis
Gattheusi
Sowumni
Palsson
Feruz
Nelom
Agogo
Agyepong
Humphrey
Haynes
Sinclair
Boateng
Bigirimana
Johnson

Jimmy Boco wouldn't get in my team

Scouse Hibee
04-06-2020, 09:33 AM

Makalamby wouldn’t get in mine, I would rather stick an outfield player in goals.

Andy74
04-06-2020, 09:50 AM

Left back wasn't a great list of options!

JimBHibees
04-06-2020, 10:30 AM

Kujabi :greengrin

Smartie
04-06-2020, 10:39 AM

Zarabi?

Mibbes Aye
04-06-2020, 12:13 PM
Missed out the other Showumni. Didn't both brothers play for us, at different times?

Your memory has gone. All four of them donned the green and white.

MWHIBBIES
04-06-2020, 12:14 PM
Makalamby wouldn’t get in mine, I would rather stick an outfield player in goals.

:faf:

Mibbes Aye
04-06-2020, 12:15 PM
Top marks from Hibs.

Considering the prejudice that our founders must have faced in 19th Century Scotland it’s right and proper that we as a club call out all forms of bigotry.

Waiting to see if The The Rangers make a statement?

J

In some ways, while the NHS slogan is fantastic on the top, I would love it if Hibs put a Black Lives Matter slogan on. Very much relevant to the club ethos, like you say.

Keith_M
04-06-2020, 05:37 PM
In some ways, while the NHS slogan is fantastic on the top, I would love it if Hibs put a Black Lives Matter slogan on. Very much relevant to the club ethos, like you say.

If we did that, where do you draw the line?

Do we protest against the millions of people dying due to poverty, corruption and war in Africa every year? What about the plight of the Rohingya Muslims? The oppression of the Palestinians? The Native Americans living in ridiculously poor conditions in tribal reservations in the US?

I'm not in any way criticising anyone who has sympathy for the Black Lives Matter movement, but the millions dying in Africa are also Black. Do they not matter?

Andy74
04-06-2020, 05:58 PM
Zarabi?

Boco was better than Zarabi.

SideBurns
04-06-2020, 06:04 PM
Ricky Hill.

Was just trying to remember his second name when I saw your post! Did Hibs no' bring him over from Bermuda for a trial during the cauldest winter in Scottish history? Unsurprisingly he didnae fancy it much...

CMurdoch
04-06-2020, 06:07 PM

Do we protest against the millions of people dying due to poverty, corruption and war in Africa every year? What about the plight of the Rohingya Muslims? The oppression of the Palestinians? The Native Americans living in ridiculously poor conditions in tribal reservations in the US?

I'm not in any way criticising anyone who has sympathy for the Black Lives Matter movement, but the millions dying in Africa are also Black. Do they not matter?

Good post

Keith_M
04-06-2020, 06:25 PM
Good post

Thank you.

:aok:

I hope I didn't offend anyone or give the idea that I don't care about racism, because I really do. I care about a great many things... possibly a little too strongly some times, I must admit

Bishop Hibee
04-06-2020, 06:40 PM

It would be very difficult to find a definitive figure as to how many black Africans die per year due to poverty, corruption and war. There are people who die prematurely in Edinburgh due to poverty.

On topic, well done Hibs for showing solidarity with the ‘black lives matter’ movement.

The_Sauz
05-06-2020, 01:24 AM
Lyndon Andrews :agree:

Fergos
05-06-2020, 07:43 AM
Earl Jean, around the same time as Lyndon Andrews I’m sure...?

GGTTH

we are hibs
05-06-2020, 08:04 AM
Franck Djedje. Set up El Alagui in injury time in a derby and scored a 88th minute header 1 minute after livi equalised to win it on a cold wednesday in March 2015. Think he only scored 1 other goal and that may have been Arbroath in the Scottish cup.

Keith_M
05-06-2020, 08:09 AM
Didn't Kevin Harper say that he was racially abused during an Edinburgh Derby by one of the Hearts players?

Does anybody remember who the Hearts player was?

There's also been a few incidents in recent seasons where some fans (on both sides) have racially abused players. The numbers involved have thankfully been very low but it's shocking that this still happens at all.

Peevemor
05-06-2020, 08:13 AM
Didn't Kevin Harper say that he was racially abused during an Edinburgh Derby by one of the Hearts players?

Medals Mackay - it's the only thing he'll be remembered for.

JimBHibees
05-06-2020, 08:36 AM

There's also been a few incidents in recent seasons where some fans (on both sides) have racially abused players. The numbers involved have thankfully been very low but it's shocking that this still happens at all.

He didn't just say he was it was caught on close up on scotsport showing highlights of the game. Gary full monkey mode absolutely despicable nothing was done of it both from a Hibs and authorities perspective. Was commented on by I think Graham Spiers in the programme with little or no comment from media afterwards. How times have changed in that regard when you consider the numerous ludicrous bans Leigh Griffiths got when ironically at Hibs.

Mibbes Aye
05-06-2020, 03:27 PM

You have raised an interesting point. And clearly from the debate on the Holy Ground, not everyone shares the same views about justice and injustice.

As a club we seem to be in a position where we are comfortable not to factor in commercial income from a shirt sponsor.

In keeping with our tradition as an innovative and groundbreaking club, but also one that promotes a social conscience, we could then perhaps take it a step further.

We can afford fresh strips for players and we can afford lettering, that’s not an issue. Perhaps we could change the statement on the front of players’ shirts on a regular basis, every month perhaps, to highlight something that would benefit from the publicity we would give. Domestic or international. Fans could buy unbranded tops at the usual release time and get the lettering if they wished.

Choosing the statement or cause is the tricky part as not all fans would like all the causes. I think it would have to be a fan suggestion scheme, but the final decision sits with Ron and/or Leanne, and that’s that. Probably need some dialogue with the players - I’m thinking about that Irish player, James Maclean?, who objects to wearing a poppy.

And obviously we would have to always have Movember in tribute to the legend that is Rod Petrie, king of the mouser, lord of the tache.

Keith_M
05-06-2020, 04:05 PM
Medals Mackay - it's the only thing he'll be remembered for.

Thanks.

He didn't just say he was it was caught on close up on scotsport showing highlights of the game. Gary full monkey mode absolutely despicable nothing was done of it both from a Hibs and authorities perspective. Was commented on by I think Graham Spiers in the programme with little or no comment from media afterwards. How times have changed in that regard when you consider the numerous ludicrous bans Leigh Griffiths got when ironically at Hibs.

Thankfully I think times have changed for the better in that regard, as I'd imagine he'd be the subject of a fairly long ban nowadays and also widespread condemnation.

Hibrandenburg
07-06-2020, 05:10 PM
Hibs tweet

Werder Bremen have taken it a step further.

Lago
07-06-2020, 05:36 PM
Thank you.

:aok:

I hope I didn't offend anyone or give the idea that I don't care about racism, because I really do. I care about a great many things... possibly a little too strongly some times, I must admit

No you merely highlighted some of the hypocrisy in the world & of course they're not "sexy" enough to draw peoples attention.
Good Post on your part

tamig
07-06-2020, 07:54 PM
Werder Bremen have taken it a step further.

When did SDG get transferred to Werder 🤔