PDA

View Full Version : David Duff

Carheenlea
03-06-2020, 07:12 AM
Duff speaks about take over bid.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/former-hibs-chairman-david-duff-speaks-first-time-then-hearts-owner-wallace-mercers-takeover-bid-it-wasnt-merger-it-was-destruction-2872541

Had Duff sold his shares then it would have been curtains. For that he will always have played his part in ensuring Hibernian’s survival.

BILLYHIBS
03-06-2020, 07:20 AM
Shiela Rowland was a heroine anaw!

CropleyWasGod
03-06-2020, 07:36 AM
Duff speaks about take over bid.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/former-hibs-chairman-david-duff-speaks-first-time-then-hearts-owner-wallace-mercers-takeover-bid-it-wasnt-merger-it-was-destruction-2872541

Had Duff sold his shares then it would have been curtains. For that he will always have played his part in ensuring Hibernian’s survival.

...after having got us to the point where we were vulnerable to a take-over, though.

EI255
03-06-2020, 08:12 AM
Pretty fascinating read and will definitely buy his book.

I remember Duff (and Rowland?) parading past the Hibs fans packed in at the away end at Tynecastle back in the 80s. Wasn't sure they were well received or not. Was probably just months later that the meeting with Mercer occurred. Little did we know!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

oneone73
03-06-2020, 08:13 AM
Pretty fascinating read and will definitely buy his book.

I remember Duff (and Rowland?) parading past the Hibs fans packed in at the away end at Tynecastle back in the 80s. Wasn't sure they were well received or not. Was probably just months later that the meeting with Mercer occurred. Little did we know!

Duff and Gray iirc

cocteautwin
03-06-2020, 08:21 AM
What was in it for Mercer? Just a property transaction for the stadium? I'd imagine almost not a single Hibs fan would move across to supporting a United Edinburgh Hearts side so it couldn't have been to have larger crowds at the games.

Peevemor
03-06-2020, 08:21 AM
...after having got us to the point where we were vulnerable to a take-over, though.

He didn't realise what a shark Rowland was - that was his biggest mistake.

He was far from blameless, but in the end he did right by Hibs.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-06-2020, 08:24 AM
What was in it for Mercer? Just a property transaction for the stadium? I'd imagine almost not a single Hibs fan would move across to supporting a United Edinburgh Hearts side so it couldn't have been to have larger crowds at the games.

Asset stripping - they would have kept Collins and Goram and sold the stadium.

Ozyhibby
03-06-2020, 08:29 AM

Short term no but long term Hearts would have prospered. By now they would be bigger than they are at present with the whole Edinburgh market to themselves. It would have been difficult to start a phoenix Hibs with no stadium etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since452
03-06-2020, 09:00 AM
Has anyone ever seen Duff back at Easter Road since those days?

Bostonhibby
03-06-2020, 09:19 AM
What was in it for Mercer? Just a property transaction for the stadium? I'd imagine almost not a single Hibs fan would move across to supporting a United Edinburgh Hearts side so it couldn't have been to have larger crowds at the games.Property transaction and the chance to clear Hearts considerable ongoing debt.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

GloryGlory
03-06-2020, 09:20 AM

...after getting into bed with a City spiv and mortgaging Hibs to a disaster capitalist.

Peevemor
03-06-2020, 09:22 AM
Has anyone ever seen Duff back at Easter Road since those days?

I've never seen it mentioned.

His brother-in-law Jim Gray was kept on for a while as CEO or something until the STF buy-out was 100% complete.

I think he's been back.

GloryGlory
03-06-2020, 09:22 AM
He didn't realise what a shark Rowland was - that was his biggest mistake.

He was far from blameless, but in the end he did right by Hibs.

A standard bit of due diligence into Rowland's background would have revealed exactly what a shark he was. Duff was, after all, a solicitor and should have had enough professional nous to check out what he was signing up for.

tamig
03-06-2020, 09:23 AM

If Duff had sold his shares that would have been it done.

Future17
03-06-2020, 09:27 AM
As well as being convicted of fraud, he's been involved with several organisations which have subsequently suffered financial problems, including Edinburgh University Settlement.

My experience of him suggests to me that he's a fundamentally dishonest individual and I wouldn't trust a single word he has to say.

Keith_M
03-06-2020, 09:33 AM
As well as being convicted of fraud, he's been involved with several organisations which have subsequently suffered financial problems, including Edinburgh University Settlement.

My experience of him suggests to me that he's a fundamentally dishonest individual and I wouldn't trust a single word he has to say.

Don't sit on the fence, what do you really think of him?

FilipinoHibs

Fell in love with Hibs. Maybe a statue or invite back for a game to say thanks.

Peevemor
A standard bit of due diligence into Rowland's background would have revealed exactly what a shark he was. Duff was, after all, a solicitor and should have had enough professional nous to check out what he was signing up for.

I'm honestly not looking to defend him, but once Mercer had launched his bid Duff did all he could to save Hibs.

I've posted this link loads of times, but there's some great insight as well as loads of cuttings etc. here.

https://thehiblog.wordpress.com/hiblog-season-by-season/hands-off-hibs-the-summer-of-1990/

FilipinoHibs
03-06-2020, 09:36 AM
I've never seen it mentioned.

His brother-in-law Jim Gray was kept on for a while as CEO or something until the STF buy-out was 100% complete.

I think he's been back.

Seemingly worked in an off licence near ER (1).

1. Hibs Net fact.

Yorkshire HFC
03-06-2020, 09:40 AM

I interviewed him and Gray before this all happened, for a fanzine article.

He came across as an enthusiastic fan who couldn't believe he'd been lucky enough to own Hibs (at 33 years old!) - Gray seemed to be the more level headed of the two when I met them. Duff was certainly out of his depth - I'm sure he was also very financially driven, especially later in his life, as seen by his subsequent fraud conviction.

superfurryhibby
03-06-2020, 09:41 AM
Duff and Gray borrowed money from Rowland to finance their purchase of Hibs? The Avon Inns fiasco, also purchased from Rowland, using money raised through the floatation of shares. The prick was in it from the start, he wasn’t that naive, no matter what he did once found out.

Peevemor
03-06-2020, 09:42 AM

1. Hibs Net fact.

I've seen it mentioned that he took over Fairbairns in Albert Street. I lived on Albert Street and used Fairbairns regularly up until it shut and I can't remember seeing him - that means nothing though as I rarely recognise people away from their normal (in my mind) context.

AltheHibby
03-06-2020, 09:45 AM
I see in the article that the 'big' team wouldn't let women in their Boardroom.

Mind you, that might have been a good policy to keep with Budge around!

hibstag
03-06-2020, 10:26 AM

1. Hibs Net fact.

this is the first thing I think of when his name comes up as Im pretty convinced he served me a carryout on way back to train after a game circa 1992

H18S NX
03-06-2020, 10:32 AM
Shiela Rowland was a heroine anaw!....She really was Billy :aok:

Hillsidehibby
03-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Duff and Gray borrowed money from Rowland to finance their purchase of Hibs? The Avon Inns fiasco, also purchased from Rowland, using money raised through the floatation of shares. The prick was in it from the start, he wasn’t that naive, no matter what he did once found out.

:agree:

Forza Fred
03-06-2020, 10:37 AM

1. Hibs Net fact.

Jim Gray either owned, or managed Fairbairn’s after he left Hibs.

Duff was way out his depth, but I remember after it all ended speaking to a then Hibs Director who said that he felt sorry for Gray,, and that he wasn’t a bad operator who unfortunately got caught up in his brother in law’s wake and suffered accordingly.

I had the odd dealing with him, and found him to be enthusiastic and personable.

As for Duff, I’d trust him as far as I could throw him.....as the old saying goes...if you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

erin go bragh
03-06-2020, 10:52 AM
Merger my backside . It was a hostile takeover. The FTB threw a Hibs squad list at The Hearts manager and said put a price on the players we can sell .
I can still feel the rage as I post .
Coming through the takeover and winning the cup in 91 was some feeling .
Yes Duff did the right thing in the end but he put us in that position.
Ill definitely not be buying his fin book .

Kato
03-06-2020, 10:57 AM
Merger my backside . It was a hostile takeover. The FTB threw a Hibs squad list at The Hearts manager and said put a price on the players we can sell .
I can still feel the rage as I post .
Coming through the takeover and winning the cup in 91 was some feeling .
Yes Duff did the right thing in the end but he put us in that position.
Ill definitely not be buying his fin book .

Mercer also tried to convince John Collins and Andy Goram to join his "United Edinburgh" Heart of Midlothian team. At least one of them, if not both, met with him and told him he could **** off straight to his face. IIRC a Hearts player acted as go between and attended said mettinsg, the Hearts player being one Harry Potter.

ancient hibee
03-06-2020, 10:58 AM
Despite his reputation Mercer was a poor businessman.Hibs were in such a state that we would have collapsed and Mercer would have achieved his aim without doing anything.All he did was galvanise the opposition.

Kato
03-06-2020, 11:06 AM
Despite his reputation Mercer was a poor businessman.Hibs were in such a state that we would have collapsed and Mercer would have achieved his aim without doing anything.All he did was galvanise the opposition.

True. When he announced he was withdrawing from the takeover he claimed he lost the social argument but won the business argument. He lost both. He hadn't won promises of enough shares to close Hibs down but pretended he had and was withdrawing on the social argument. He left Hearts £5million in the red having won nothing and sold out to someone who left them £19million in the red.

A complete and utter twat of a failure at football ownership.

Gloucester Hibs
03-06-2020, 11:22 AM
True. When he announced he was withdrawing from the takeover he claimed he lost the social argument but won the business argument. He lost both. He hadn't won promises of enough shares to close Hibs down but pretended he had and was withdrawing on the social argument.

And the lies and spin coming out of Tynecastle have continued ever since. Never believe a single word that comes out of that dump.

Bostonhibby
03-06-2020, 11:36 AM
True. When he announced he was withdrawing from the takeover he claimed he lost the social argument but won the business argument. He lost both. He hadn't won promises of enough shares to close Hibs down but pretended he had and was withdrawing on the social argument. He left Hearts £5million in the red having won nothing and sold out to someone who left them £19million in the red.

A complete and utter twat of a failure at football ownership.The business side was underpinned by other people's money, and when one of his backers, BOS got cold feet he started to back track.

Big respect to Sheila Rowland and no real respect to Duff who by that time was simply running scared of what he'd potentially become the fall guy for, he was in it from the start.

Callyballybe
03-06-2020, 11:38 AM
How did Duff come to be in such a position at Hibs at quite a young age? Had he ran a successful business before?

Is he from Edinburgh originally?

Bostonhibby
03-06-2020, 11:41 AM
How did Duff come to be in such a position at Hibs at quite a young age? Had he ran a successful business before?

Is he from Edinburgh originally?Convinced he was the front man for Rowland and Mercer's plot. Him and Gray were played by the two prominent Tories to some extent.

CMurdoch
03-06-2020, 11:41 AM

I think that is a really good point.
Once the supporters got the bit between their teeth they did great things to bring it back from the brink

Col L
03-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Duff should never be painted as any kind of hero in this sorry episode. He certainly deserves credit for not caving to Mercer but the guy was a disaster and a fantasist - I would take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt and his book will no doubt read more like a fiction novel.

Post-Hibs he got jailed for 2 years for his part in a major mortgage fraud and then, incredibly, was hired as an adviser by the charity Edinburgh University Settlement - who soon went bust with debts of £4m, with Duff at the centre of its demise.

He’s done more porridge than Ronnie Barker!

chippy
03-06-2020, 12:23 PM
I think that is a really good point.
Once the supporters got the bit between their teeth they did great things to bring it back from the brink

Mercer attempted to destroy Hibs because he got wind of the move to Straiton. The merger was destruction dressed up as a merger. If the Straiton deal had come off Hibs would have been well off and among the first with super duper out of town stadia plus training centre. AFAIK the aim was for Duff and Gray to pay off Rowland. Simply look at the developments up at Straiton to see what money would have been made by Hibs. Mercer was after that as well remember. STF made plenty on the land he got after taking over completely. Mercer’s intervention was mainly aimed at stopping Hibernian stealing a march on Hearts. Stop Hibs progressing at all costs and sell off the assets. It did set us back quite a few years.

Kato
03-06-2020, 12:26 PM
The business side was underpinned by other people's money, and when one of his backers, BOS got cold feet he started to back track.

I don't about the BOS angle. He needed 75% of shares in Hibernian to close the club as per the club's constitution. He was only ever promised circa 66% of the shares and therefore lost the business argument.

Bostonhibby
03-06-2020, 12:31 PM
I don't about the BOS angle. He needed 75% of shares in Hibernian to close the club as per the club's constitution. He was only ever promised circa 66% of the shares and therefore lost the business argument.Apparently a £5m facility was available should he require it to push the deal through. They may have been in it for profits from future development. There was a bit of pressure applied by Hibbies who banked with them at the time too.

Source worked with BOS corporate at the time and ended up as a director there and at RBS.

oneone73
03-06-2020, 12:31 PM
I don't about the BOS angle. He needed 75% of shares in Hibernian to close the club as per the club's constitution. He was only ever promised circa 66% of the shares and therefore lost the business argument.

That's why some of us are so upset about HSL being scuppered.

The 90+2
03-06-2020, 12:32 PM

Seems one of the better character references towards the chap 😁

Bostonhibby
03-06-2020, 12:32 PM
Seems one of the better character references towards the chap [emoji16]How did Hearts miss out on him?

BILLYHIBS
03-06-2020, 12:33 PM
If Duff had sold his shares that would have been it done.

Duff in the Scotsman today says that Shiela Rowland was the real hero.

She was pivotal in getting STF onboard and it was also her name on many of Rowland’s ‘garaged shares’ that she refused to sell along with Duff (12%) Gray and Munro

Wallet Mercenary had David Rowland and Jeremy James on board (62%) but needed a 76% swing to force the sale through as set by the Bank of Scotland.

We needed to ensure they did not lower that threshold

Just as well for us that Mr and Mrs Rowland were estranged

I suppose we will just have to buy the book. :greengrin

Wakeyhibee
03-06-2020, 12:47 PM
Think he was in a witness protection scheme in the early 2000s as well.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/murder-case-appeal-to-shed-light-on-footballs-murky-business-dq3kz2c52dv

Col L
03-06-2020, 12:56 PM
Allegedly.

Will edit accordingly m lud!:wink:

Groathillgrump
03-06-2020, 03:23 PM
There's a thread about Duff on Jambos Kickback and one of the muppets shamelessly said:

"Is he coming back to pay all the debts they left behind?"

The poppy thieves have incredibly short memories! :rolleyes:

The 90+2
03-06-2020, 04:33 PM
How did Hearts miss out on him?

Levein was otherwise erm engaged to recommend. 👍

Keith_M
03-06-2020, 04:45 PM
There's a thread about Duff on Jambos Kickback and one of the muppets shamelessly said:

"Is he coming back to pay all the debts they left behind?

The poppy thieves have incredibly short memories! :rolleyes:

They love to re-write history.

They're the ones that actually ripped people off by at least thirty million quid.

Bostonhibby
03-06-2020, 04:47 PM

They're the ones that actually ripped people off by at least thirty million quid.They even produced their very own creditors list telling everyone who they bumped and how much for.

CLASS OF 72 -73
03-06-2020, 05:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLjZC0qcUFU

The 90+2
03-06-2020, 05:20 PM

They're the ones that actually ripped people off by at least thirty million quid.

Aye, and the rest.

Baader
03-06-2020, 06:13 PM
Duff is a slippery character for sure and his post Hibs record shows as much. Basically a conman. As has been said earlier it's to his credit he didn't sell up to Mercenary.

Not seen Ramsay Dalgety for a while. He featured a bit if I recall. Former QC and Hibs fan,think he was a 50 Club regular. Last I seen he was a judge in Tonga! Some on here must have a few stories about him...

Pretty Boy
03-06-2020, 06:26 PM
Duff is a slippery character for sure and his post Hibs record shows as much. Basically a conman. As has been said earlier it's to his credit he didn't sell up to Mercenary.

Not seen Ramsay Dalgety for a while. He featured a bit if I recall. Former QC and Hibs fan,think he was a 50 Club regular. Last I seen he was a judge in Tonga! Some on here must have a few stories about him...

Dalgety featured heavily on the BBC Focal Point documentary aired at the time of the takeover attempt. I only came across that a couple of years ago and wondered about him as he wasn't someone I had heard discussed as often as the other individuals involved at the time.

With regards to Duff I had always regarded him as someone who was maybe a bit naive and easily led. Duped into dodgy deals by the loathesome Rowland (Incidentally he has ownership of the image rights of a few Man City players). The more I read of his dealings post Hibs the more I think he's a pretty shady character himself.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-06-2020, 06:37 PM
I've seen it mentioned that he took over Fairbairns in Albert Street. I lived on Albert Street and used Fairbairns regularly up until it shut and I can't remember seeing him - that means nothing though as I rarely recognise people away from their normal (in my mind) context.

He did, my mum worked there at the time.

Logie Green
03-06-2020, 06:46 PM

Ramsey Dalgety was on the committee of the Shareholders Association if I remember correctly.

One other point about the takeover was how much it cost hertz in legal fees etc - £400k rings a bell. Would’ve been worth it to them if they’d succeeded but costly as they obviously didn’t. The twats.

h1bs4life
03-06-2020, 06:55 PM

Thanks for posting. Was 27 at the time met up with my brother up at Easter Road the day it was anounced nobody couldnt believe what was happening.
We all marched around to Hibs club and Hands of Hibs was formed.
The Hibs fans rallied round and there was a lot of great people made sure we survived.
Was a member of the Hibs club at the time always thought Duff appeared after victory video confirms it .
Even in the youtube video you can see the change in the FTB from cocky to WTF have i done here. If it had gone through he would have been 6 feet under long before he actually was.
Crap businessman who pd off to france after it running scared only came back to meet his maker and is now rotting in hell with Mrs T.
They also wanted rid of him as well after he wanted to take them out of town.
Managed to get a ticket for the derby ' tribute ' to pay the FTB the 'respect 'he deserved.
From there to where we are now shows all the good work that Sir Tom did for us minmum we should be doing is naming a stand after him.
:flag::flag::flag::flag:
TELL ALL THE HEARTS YOU KNOW

sleeping giant
03-06-2020, 09:48 PM
https://youtu.be/6Ya4EqVYM1s

Sorry if already posted.
The team that wouldn't die.

1875STEVE
03-06-2020, 10:13 PM

What I want to know is who is the baby, and have they got that season ticket this year? :thumbsup:

Brizo
04-06-2020, 05:24 AM
Duff should never be painted as any kind of hero in this sorry episode. He certainly deserves credit for not caving to Mercer but the guy was a disaster and a fantasist - I would take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt and his book will no doubt read more like a fiction novel.

Post-Hibs he got jailed for 2 years for his part in a major mortgage fraud and then, incredibly, was hired as an adviser by the charity Edinburgh University Settlement - who soon went bust with debts of £4m, with Duff at the centre of its demise.

He’s done more porridge than Ronnie Barker!

Agree with this 100% and certainly wont be giving him any money by buying his book.

Him and Gray are the type of characters who if in their prime today would probably be peddling dodgy cryptocurrency.

A couple of total spivs as the late Ronnie Barker might have said :greengrin.

degenerated
04-06-2020, 06:39 AM
Has anyone ever seen Duff back at Easter Road since those days?He was in jail and was in witness protection, so probably not.

You'll find a bit about him in this.

https://thebristolcable.org/series/cornerman/episode/unmasking-the-cornerman/

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

gbhibby
04-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Mercer had plans to buy the land known as the Lochend butterfly and the the stadium would have been part of this. Thus he would have owned the land from the stadium up to London Road. He was looking to make a considerable amount of money from the deal I am sure there were plans for housing retail and business park.

CMurdoch
04-06-2020, 04:03 PM
He was in jail and was in witness protection, so probably not.

You'll find a bit about him in this.

https://thebristolcable.org/series/cornerman/episode/unmasking-the-cornerman/

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

That's all very heavy duty.
Duff lurches from disaster to disaster culminating in almost getting cement boots.

Stantons Angel
04-06-2020, 11:33 PM
like a lot of you i lived through this awful time at Hibs. The uncertainty of it all was frightening to say the least.

Ive read Duffs account of things and my take on it is that he wants to be welcomed back as a hero?

He hadnt had an invite back to Easter Road in the last 30yrs. If he had wanted to watch a game he could have paid a the turnstiles like us all?

Granted he should be thanked for not selling his shares to Mercer but if he and Grey had not used the club money to pay for a grand lifestyle with cars and houses bought
and used by themselves and family and been involved in buying pubs and hotels with Hibs money we wouldnt have been in the state we were in when the takeover was announced.

If he gets invited now after Farmer has left he will give back jerseys presented to him as chairman of Hibernian FC??? Surely these jerseys where given in good will by the players to the club and should be at the club and not kept by him?

It looks like to me he wants to come back as this hero who didnt sell his shares and has for the past 30yrs disappeared in to the blue leaving Hibs to flounder because the two of them may have been crooks.

I was at the HOH rally at the ground and say grown men cry at the thought of their club dying on its feet because people wanted to live flash lives at the expense of the football club. I say Joe Baker kiss the turf and Pat Stanton point to the Dunbar end and saying Hibs will never die. Where were duff and grey that day.

I hope Ron Gordon gets the full story and does not fall for the pitch being made today. The Evening News Scoop is more like not being able to sell the story!

erin go bragh
05-06-2020, 07:11 PM
The roasters on keek back have a thread on him .
One of them posted this . They really are a different breed .

Dumb **** Posted Wednesday at 10:59 (https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/188950-david-duff/&do=findComment&comment=7908300)

Remains the only owner of an Edinburgh top flight football club to have been jailed for fraud.

Pretty Boy
05-06-2020, 07:23 PM

Dumb **** Posted Wednesday at 10:59 (https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/188950-david-duff/&do=findComment&comment=7908300)

Remains the only owner of an Edinburgh top flight football club to have been jailed for fraud.

The letter posted on that thread sums up how limited Mercers understanding of football was.

As if any Hibs fans gave any consideration at all to the potential rental costs of Meadowbank when our biggest rivals tried to wipe our name from Scottish football.

Bostonhibby
05-06-2020, 08:51 PM

Got me thinking, have any other Edinburgh clubs knowingly employed anyone with convictions? And if so how bad were the offences?

It'll all pale into insignificance when Hearts Hearts former owner Vladimir Romanov goes on trial in his absence in Lithuania.

EI255
05-06-2020, 09:05 PM

Hmmm, let's just leave it there! Presumably the person who posted that is relatively thick?

erin go bragh
06-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Got me thinking, have any other Edinburgh clubs knowingly employed anyone with convictions? And if so how bad were the offences?

It'll all pale into insignificance when Hearts Hearts former owner Vladimir Romanov goes on trial in his absence in Lithuania.

They appointed a manager who was on the child sex register . And then kept on a player who was also put on it .

Bostonhibby
06-06-2020, 12:47 PM
They appointed a manager who was on the child sex register . And then kept on a player who was also put on it .Who also did jail time. So they beat us again. Forever in their shadow.

CMurdoch
06-06-2020, 11:46 PM
They appointed a manager who was on the child sex register . And then kept on a player who was also put on it .

You mean the sex offender register. Your version is very weird.

NAE NOOKIE
07-06-2020, 12:50 AM

I've seen Hibs fans throughout my decades following the club call Hearts all sorts of names with every expletive known to man thrown in. But without uttering a single cuss word the way Ramsay Dalgety spat out the words 'Heart of Midlowthian' in his focal point interview was just class, as if he had been asked to describe the foulest creature in the lowest depths of hell :greengrin

As for Duff ... If the truth is that he was a crook, a chancer, a spiv, whatever term you want to use then surely the fact that he turned down the chance to walk away with £700,000 says something about the guy, yes maybe he was a fool and a fantasist who lead us to the brink of disaster ..... but he must have had some feeling for the club to go against what everybody seems to think was his nature in order to ultimately thwart Mercer, so in my book he deserves some credit for that.

Wherever Sheila Rowland is now I hope she had a happy life after leaving Hibs ..... absolutely unbelievable that only 30 years ago women weren't allowed into club boardrooms ... the 70s fair enough, we thought the black & white minstrel show was entertainment back then, but the 90s? that's incredible ... no bloody wonder football struggles so badly at times to project the image it should.