PDA

View Full Version : What could Hibs have done with a 9m investment

A Hi-Bee
02-06-2020, 10:59 AM
As I wonder about the merits of someone gifting around 9million to that shower over the city, it made me think what could, Hibs have done with that amount over the past 3 or so years.
Without getting into whether that kind of investment made into a ****y club like hertz is right or wrong, its a fair whack of cash, that they have wasted. I just think that Hibs would have used it much better!

Would we have spent it on players, infrastructure, kept it in the bank, built 3 or 4 training centres.

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin

Smartie
02-06-2020, 11:05 AM
We could have signed players like Wighton, Damour and Uche and got relegated.

A Hi-Bee
02-06-2020, 11:09 AM
We could have signed players like Wighton, Damour and Uche and got relegated.

Dont be silly only the hertz could **** up with so much cash so fast.

where'stheslope
02-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Its all ifs and buts!
We could have been doing a lot better in the league, and maybe kept SJM, looking at Engish Championship players rather than lower leagues!
Luckily we've managed to get a new owner, who in time we'll see if he starts to invest in the team.

Andy74
02-06-2020, 11:16 AM
As I wonder about the merits of someone gifting around 9million to that shower over the city, it made me think what could, Hibs have done with that amount over the past 3 or so years.
Without getting into whether that kind of investment made into a ****y club like hertz is right or wrong, its a fair whack of cash, that they have wasted. I just think that Hibs would have used it much better!

Would we have spent it on players, infrastructure, kept it in the bank, built 3 or 4 training centres.

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin :greengrin:greengrin

The problem is, unless it is going on infrastructure, not a lot.

£9m would get you less than one year of wages still a lot less than Celtic and probably Rangers. £9m for a decent chance at 3rd place, once. It doesn't really add up as worthwhile.

If you spend it on infrastructure then nothing much changes in the short term other than the nicer stand or training set up.

The only way to spend £9m is across a number of years, building up the investment in player wages and hopefully building on the success that might come with it - but it is not a lot and won't guarantee even European places year in and year out.

Keith_M
02-06-2020, 11:24 AM
We could have served chips

jax67
02-06-2020, 11:27 AM
We could have served chips

We also could have built a stairway to somewhere better than a wall.

Keith_M
02-06-2020, 11:33 AM
We could have offered to donate it to the SPFL Lower league clubs to pay for testing kits, with the agreement that they tell Hearts to just shut up and accept their relegation.

Not a bribe, you understand. It would be for the good of Scottish Football.

Bostonhibby
02-06-2020, 11:34 AM
Half a single tier stand should be possible, if we get relegated we can always finish it later.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Hibs4185
02-06-2020, 11:35 AM
If SJM goes for £50 million and we have a 20% sell on then we will habe our own £10 million soon!

I know it’s likely 15% but hopefully we will get a cash boost soon. I’d much rather generate through normal business practice than a gift.

Mibbes Aye
02-06-2020, 11:37 AM
The fifth stand or the helipad would have been nice.

Being serious though, I agree with a previous post. It is incremental and best as a drip-feed and that still won’t guarantee success.

It is maybe masochistic but I like the way the club set itself right under STF and RP. Sure, we had a safety net, but we didn’t have a sugar daddy throwing stuff at us.

We slowly and steadily sorted ourselves out. It has taken a while but it feels we went the right way about it.

02-06-2020, 11:40 AM
Might still have Lennon as manager if he'd had more to spend.

04Sauzee
02-06-2020, 11:41 AM
3rd tier on the west
Corners filled in
New tannoy system
Big TV's
The most monitored pitch in Scotland
Many starewells leading nowhere

Keith_M
02-06-2020, 11:41 AM
What about buying these for every team in the league?

https://www.bubblefootballshop.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/BISC-bubble-soccer.jpg

hibbyfraelibby
02-06-2020, 11:42 AM
Filled in the corners...

BILLYHIBS
02-06-2020, 11:44 AM
Tore Andre Flo

nonshinyfinish
02-06-2020, 12:08 PM
Tore Andre Flo

He cost Oldco £12m, didn't he?

(Adjusted for inflation, that's over £20m today. Or one unfinished stand if you prefer.)

Mibbes Aye
02-06-2020, 12:17 PM
He cost Oldco £12m, didn't he?

(Adjusted for inflation, that's over £20m today. Or one unfinished stand if you prefer.)

I think you have invented a new currency.

The Tore Andre Flo, pegged against an unfinished stand in west Edinburgh.

You should get over to the Holy Ground. This would put a stop to those internecine arguments about whether an independent Scotland would use the pound, the euro or the groat. We would simply use the TAF :greengrin

Juniper Greens
02-06-2020, 12:19 PM
I'd fill in North East corner with safe standing and south east corner with a hotel and supporters bar. Big screen in the south west and above the safe standing north east.

H18 SFR
02-06-2020, 12:24 PM
When I win the Euromillions, my plan is to subsidise every seat in the ground, leaving two small sections in the away end.

20,000+ sell outs every week, stands jam packed, place bouncing.

I’ve done the figures. I will be doing it.

Tug Wilson
02-06-2020, 12:36 PM
If it is a one off £9m payment then I would suggest that it is best invested in infrastructure, eg. full sized indoor pitch at East Mains, or maybe in upgrading the corporate hospitality facilities to help bring in steady income. That would be the sensible approach.

If it is to be splurged on "better" players then the recruitment has to get it spot on. Not always easy. As our maroon chums have ably proved.

Tug Wilson
02-06-2020, 12:46 PM
I'd fill in North East corner with safe standing and south east corner with a hotel and supporters bar. Big screen in the south west and above the safe standing north east.

Like these ideas.

Think that there is more scope for a hotel and supporters bar in the North East corner though.

Convert part of the FF or East to safe standing.

Big screens in SE and SW corners so the Hibs fans can see them and the away fans can't!

brog
02-06-2020, 01:14 PM
The true amount of investment into Hearts is probably closer to £20-£25m. The £9m in donations was only in the last 3 years. Cocteau estimated total as closer to £15m & given it's now public that BG sponsored the Save The Children shirts then that's quite possible. Add in 7 years of donations from F of H & you have a staggering total spent to end up with relegation.

The_Exile
02-06-2020, 01:25 PM
Unfortuantely, even with £20 million you can't just go "great, we'll buy X, Y and Z and pay them good money" because ultimately, the money will run out unless you maintain a certain level of achievement and folk through the gate. Clubs outwith the old firm, and even them to a certain extend, can get to a certain point naturally and then that's it. Celtic will never be able to pay £50 million for a player, Bournemouth will though. Hibs will never be able to pay £10 million for a player, Celtic will though. £9 million would be able to nudge the wages up a bit in the hope of luring better quality players, but if we're spending money to get better quality players we need to hit consistent European trips and group stages at that to maintain the budget we decided to operate at. All it would take is a couple of rubbish seasons and we'd be in trouble and having to drop down a level in recruitment and get rid of players we couldn't afford anymore, which would be highly depressing!

TLDR: Nowt. Infrastructure would be the most sensible thing to spend it on rather than sporting success which should/can only really be maintained and achieved through on-field success rather than off-field donations.

greenginger
02-06-2020, 01:42 PM
Did the James Anderson fellow have any previous affiliation with Hearts ?

I see he went to Oxford uni., but don’t know where he went to school.

He is not listed as a Hearts share holder , so any ideas why he would dip into his pocket for that club.
He has certainly been resident in Edinburgh for more than 30 years so must have known of everything from Mercer to Vlad and yet he sees HoMFC as beacon of light to be bailed out of a financial hole of their own making.

where'stheslope
02-06-2020, 01:45 PM
Unfortuantely, even with £20 million you can't just go "great, we'll buy X, Y and Z and pay them good money" because ultimately, the money will run out unless you maintain a certain level of achievement and folk through the gate. Clubs outwith the old firm, and even them to a certain extend, can get to a certain point naturally and then that's it. Celtic will never be able to pay £50 million for a player, Bournemouth will though. Hibs will never be able to pay £10 million for a player, Celtic will though. £9 million would be able to nudge the wages up a bit in the hope of luring better quality players, but if we're spending money to get better quality players we need to hit consistent European trips and group stages at that to maintain the budget we decided to operate at. All it would take is a couple of rubbish seasons and we'd be in trouble and having to drop down a level in recruitment and get rid of players we couldn't afford anymore, which would be highly depressing!

TLDR: Nowt. Infrastructure would be the most sensible thing to spend it on rather than sporting success which should/can only really be maintained and achieved through on-field success rather than off-field donations.
Is that likes, building a new all purpose stand with state of the art views of the Castle!!!:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2020, 01:46 PM
Did the James Anderson fellow have any previous affiliation with Hearts ?

I see he went to Oxford uni., but don’t know where he went to school.

He is not listed as a Hearts share holder , so any ideas why he would dip into his pocket for that club.
He has certainly been resident in Edinburgh for more than 30 years so must have known of everything from Mercer to Vlad and yet he sees HoMFC as beacon of light to be bailed out of a financial hole of their own making.

Only a couple of thoughts:-

1. he sees the community value, just as STF did.

2. it may be a hands-on project for him in later years, for which he's laying the groundwork now.

greenginger
02-06-2020, 01:52 PM
Only a couple of thoughts:-

1. he sees the community value, just as STF did.

2. it may be a hands-on project for him in later years, for which he's laying the groundwork now.

Maybe, but I don’t think STF ever chucked £ 1 million at us to pay over priced has beens.

Also, this hands on project, will this be after FoH have had their turn at screwing things up. :greengrin

cocteautwin
02-06-2020, 01:58 PM
The true amount of investment into Hearts is probably closer to £20-£25m. The £9m in donations was only in the last 3 years. Cocteau estimated total as closer to £15m & given it's now public that BG sponsored the Save The Children shirts then that's quite possible. Add in 7 years of donations from F of H & you have a staggering total spent to end up with relegation.

Yes indeed. I think the recent media reporting is understating the total amount contributed by Anderson.

£9m is the correct figure if you only count the lump sum one-off contributions in the reported 3 accounting years up to 30 June 2019.

It seems he has also been responsible for the Save the Children sponsorship which stretches back 5 years now at an amount of £1m every 3 years. If you add in the current year then he’s sent close to £2m on this project.

In the current financial year (to 30 June 2020) the club was short on funding by some c£4m before the season even kicked off so with all the additional cash needed this year for new management team, January relegation rescue team etc, my opinion is that an extra £4-5m will need to have been sent by Anderson.

Part of the above is an estimate that we won’t find out if it’s true until the next accounts are published but I would be willing to bet it all adds up to some £15m by 30 June 2020.

With the £10m contributed by FoH I think the total amount blown is c£25m before we count how much Budge has spent.

I’m astonished someone so financially astute as Anderson has given the club free reign to blow through his estimated £15m and be relegated. If it was me I would be livid.

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2020, 02:03 PM
Yes indeed. I think the recent media reporting is understating the total amount contributed by Anderson.

£9m is the correct figure if you only count the lump sum one-off contributions in the reported 3 accounting years up to 30 June 2019.

It seems he has also been responsible for the Save the Children sponsorship which stretches back 5 years now at an amount of £1m every 3 years. If you add in the current year then he’s sent close to £2m on this project.

In the current financial year (to 30 June 2020) the club was short on funding by some c£4m before the season even kicked off so with all the additional cash needed this year for new management team, January relegation rescue team etc, my opinion is that an extra £4-5m will need to have been sent by Anderson.

Part of the above is an estimate that we won’t find out if it’s true until the next accounts are published but I would be willing to bet it all adds up to some £15m by 30 June 2020.

With the £10m contributed by FoH I think the total amount blown is c£25m before we count how much Budge has spent.

I’m astonished someone so financially astute as Anderson has given the club free reign to blow through his estimated £15m and be relegated. If it was me I would be livid.

It's not just him, though, according to the reports I'm reading. There are other nutters out there :greengrin

cocteautwin
02-06-2020, 02:13 PM
It's not just him, though, according to the reports I'm reading. There are other nutters out there :greengrin

When Budge mentioned donorS plural in the past I always took that to mean a husband and wife team so she could give the impression that there was indeed more than one rich lunatic out there.

CropleyWasGod
02-06-2020, 02:15 PM
When Budge mentioned donorS plural in the past I always took that to mean a husband and wife team so she could give the impression that there was indeed more than one rich lunatic out there.

The current media reports refer to him "and others". So, unless he's a Mormon........

(that's it... he travelled on the Brigham Young supporters bus when he was a lad).

The_Exile
02-06-2020, 02:24 PM
[/B][/U]Is that likes, building a new all purpose stand with state of the art views of the Castle!!!:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

I know, as soon as I posted that and read it back I started laughing :greengrin

Renfrew_Hibby
02-06-2020, 02:32 PM
£9M would possibly just about cover a full size indoor pitch over at East Mains + the upgrades to the PA and floodlighting systems that are badly needed.

Keith_M
02-06-2020, 02:41 PM
£9M would possibly just about covered a full size indoor pitch over at East Mains + the upgrades to the PA and floodlighting systems that are badly needed.

I'd agree about the PA system but... what's wrong with the floodlights?

:dunno:

Keith_M
02-06-2020, 02:42 PM
he travelled on the Brigham Young supporters bus when he was a lad....

Dunno why, but that really sounds like it would be a Rangers Supporters bus, not Hearts.

Renfrew_Hibby
02-06-2020, 02:48 PM
I'd agree about the PA system but... what's wrong with the floodlights?

:dunno:

Floodlight technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. Our system, though good, wouldn't be allowed in the top flight down south.

Its hard to describe the difference but if you compare the traditional light we have to a complete 4 sided Led system like you would have in the English Premiership or what Celtic installed a year or two back it really is like night and day!.

I think it is on Ron's to do list but it's not a top priority.

Vault Boy
02-06-2020, 03:04 PM
Donated it to Hearts and watch them still manage to finish below us and get relegated. 👇

JimBHibees
02-06-2020, 03:20 PM
If it is a one off £9m payment then I would suggest that it is best invested in infrastructure, eg. full sized indoor pitch at East Mains, or maybe in upgrading the corporate hospitality facilities to help bring in steady income. That would be the sensible approach.

If it is to be splurged on "better" players then the recruitment has to get it spot on. Not always easy. As our maroon chums have ably proved.

Full size indoor pitch would be the obvious one. Other ring fenced stadium or training centre improvements or maintenance projects would be others.

ancient hibee
02-06-2020, 03:43 PM
I think you have invented a new currency.

The Tore Andre Flo, pegged against an unfinished stand in west Edinburgh.

You should get over to the Holy Ground. This would put a stop to those internecine arguments about whether an independent Scotland would use the pound, the euro or the groat. We would simply use the TAF :greengrin
Tore Andre Flo wasn’t as mobile as an unfinished stand.

EI255
02-06-2020, 03:45 PM
We could have signed players like Wighton, Damour and Uche and got relegated.Add Naismith to that list.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Keith_M
02-06-2020, 03:53 PM
Floodlight technology has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years. Our system, though good, wouldn't be allowed in the top flight down south.

Its hard to describe the difference but if you compare the traditional light we have to a complete 4 sided Led system like you would have in the English Premiership or what Celtic installed a year or two back it really is like night and day!.

I have to be honest, it wouldn't be on my list of priorities either. I really can't see the difference between evening games at Celtc Park and ER.

Maybe my eyes are just too old to detect the difference ;-)

Could we maybe just stick to the Chips and Hot-Dogs?

The_Sauz
02-06-2020, 05:05 PM
[/B][/U]Is that likes, building a new all purpose stand with state of the art views of the Castle!!!:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin
Would that be Tynecastle school?

greenginger
02-06-2020, 05:10 PM
The current media reports refer to him "and others". So, unless he's a Mormon........

(that's it... he travelled on the Brigham Young supporters bus when he was a lad).

Brigham Young - Mormons. :greengrin I get it Crops.

brog
02-06-2020, 07:05 PM
It's extremely hard to make money in a Scottish football environment. We've enjoyed record crowds, record season tickets & record turnover, up £2.5m last year. Despite that, without the income from the sale of SJM, we would have made a loss of £.75m last year.
Meanwhile our neighbours have enjoyed at least £10m in donations from one source, ie BG, in the last 3 years. For us to match that income, our annual turnover for that 3 year period would have had to be at least 6 or 7 times last year's record total. Hearts have been given that huge financial advantage while doing nothing & the fact they've largely squandered that bonus is irrelevant.
I think we need to give our club & it's custodians huge credit for largely overcoming that imbalance & mostly leaving Hearts behind since our return to the top. There's no doubt however that the club & the fans will have to continue to step up just to remain competitive with Hearts. We can only give thanks for the incompetence of Budge, Levein, Cathro etc. We really should be struggling to compete with them, never mind ,looking back at them & I think thats why they're terrified of their upcoming spell in the Championship.

Gloucester Hibs
02-06-2020, 07:11 PM
Massive supporters bar with outside terrace area. Make it so nice it would be frequented on non-match days. Upgrade all the corporate hospitality. Fill in a couple of corners if there’s money left over.

Clarence
02-06-2020, 07:54 PM
How many wins did hearts get during the donation period? I bet the average win cost a ridiculously high amount!

Edit: They got £3.25M in 2019 and only won 6 games that calendar year so its roughly £540K per win. Good value 🤭

JohnMcM
02-06-2020, 08:07 PM
£9 Million would buy us thousands and thousands of chips, an away day trip for the family to Alloa and, unbelievably give us enough loose change to support FOH who would provide us with value for money.:greengrin

Sammy7nil
02-06-2020, 09:55 PM

Luckily we don't play in England's top flight :greengrin

Floodlights should be way down the list of priorities Hibs must concentrate on the team win games and lots of other things will take care of themselves.

G B Young
03-06-2020, 10:52 PM
How many wins did hearts get during the donation period? I bet the average win cost a ridiculously high amount!

Edit: They got £3.25M in 2019 and only won 6 games that calendar year so its roughly £540K per win. Good value 🤭

It's a good point. For all Budge's bluster about them being 'too wealthy' to go down, where has this 'wealth' got them? Their fans essentially pay to have a team to watch via the FOH donations, while their benefactors have stumped up £9 million. And all for what? An unfinished stand that was supposed to cost £10 million (which seemed excessively pricey in itself) and has so far cost £22 million - plus a team on the pitch full of expensive signings that has proved to be the worst in the league.

Could they really have done any worse if they simply lived within their means like most other clubs? Their obsession with appearing 'wealthy' has been their downfall once again. As with the mad Vlad era it's all smoke and mirrors.