View Full Version : Whittaker

Billy Whizz
29-05-2020, 05:56 PM
Just heard something and thought I’d double check
He’s been released, but played in every Scottish cup tie for Hibs this season
Seems a shame he won’t be able to play in the semi and the final

1875Sean
29-05-2020, 05:58 PM
Shame he never got a proper send off, sure he will still be in the same league next season, maybe Livvy?

MWHIBBIES
29-05-2020, 05:59 PM
Shame he never got a proper send off, sure he will still be in the same league next season, maybe Livvy?

Far too much of a footballer for that mob.

Mibbes Aye
29-05-2020, 06:02 PM
I feel if this is the case then I am disappointed. Model pro as far as I understand and I thought he was brought back to gently move into more of a coaching role.

It is an eternal debate as to who was the best of his peer group, they all brought so much talent in different ways. Said it before, for me his dribbling the ball out the box from the six yard line, away to Dnipro, beating three men, was crazy and yet possibly one of my favourite moments watching Hibs.

JDT
29-05-2020, 06:05 PM
Far too much of a footballer for that mob.

Correct. I'd have given him another year, Joe Newell was waxing lyrical about him when they played together in midfield. Reading of the game in the sitting midfield role was excellent.

jacomo
29-05-2020, 06:09 PM
Correct. I'd have given him another year, Joe Newell was waxing lyrical about him when they played together in midfield. Reading of the game in the sitting midfield role was excellent.

Er, there’s no football right now, and no certainty about when or how it’s coming back.

I like Whittaker too, but in terms of Hibs priorities, giving a fresh contract to a 35 year old squad player is way down the list.

B.H.F.C
29-05-2020, 06:11 PM

We need someone to come in and play that role for 30, 35 or 40 games a season. Money is going to be tight so we need players capable of being on the pitch every week.

Shame Whittaker has left in these circumstances. A proper Hibs legend and I think that’s been a wee bit overlooked sometimes. Would have been good if he could have got some kind of send off.

Peevemor
29-05-2020, 06:16 PM
Er, there’s no football right now, and no certainty about when or how it’s coming back.

I like Whittaker too, but in terms of Hibs priorities, giving a fresh contract to a 35 year old squad player is way down the list.Finances are going to be tight so Hibs need to get the maximum return from every wage paid. We've not really had that from Whittaker this time around.

It could well be Whitty that's willing to drop down a level to try to get a game every week.

From what's been said, especially by the club, it sounds like an amicable parting and we could easily see him at ER in a coaching role at some point.

Mibbes Aye
29-05-2020, 06:18 PM
Trophy winner with Hibs, no shortage of trophies through West, got to play in the EPL and Europe, no shortage of caps for his country, a bit unlucky with injury. He will do a job for somebody if he is still interested, maybe just not what JR is looking for. As said he seems like a good role model and I suspect someone will get the benefit of his coaching input.

Captain Trips
29-05-2020, 06:24 PM
For me it is not a great loss, it is totally subjective on how well people think he played. In his time here I would be wanting over 20 games that I could say he did very well and IMO I am way short on that. Not saying he didn't have a few good games but when we start remembering exactly who they were against then that tells its own story.

MWHIBBIES
29-05-2020, 06:26 PM
For me it is not a great loss, it is totally subjective on how well people think he played. In his time here I would be wanting over 20 games that I could say he did very well and IMO I am way short on that. Not saying he didn't have a few good games but when we start remembering exactly who they were against then that tells its own story.

2 of the good ones I instantly think of are against Celtic.

oneone73
29-05-2020, 06:44 PM
2 of the good ones I instantly think of are against Celtic.

I thought he played well in the derbies. Should have played in the last one.

The Modfather
29-05-2020, 06:44 PM
A good servant. Would have probably given him another year as a utility back up, we won’t be able to afford that luxury next season unfortunately. So in those circumstances probably for the best to let him go, use his wage towards fixing the midfield and promote a youngster for a place in the squad.

Since452
29-05-2020, 07:15 PM
Some of the abuse he took this season was really sad imo. Was really no need.

MWHIBBIES
29-05-2020, 07:16 PM

Was the same for all players really. Support was utterly toxic under Hecky. Much better now but that was inexcusable.

Iggy Pope
29-05-2020, 07:19 PM

I reckon he got most of it on here but I agree.

Feed McGraw
29-05-2020, 07:34 PM
Some of the abuse he took this season was really sad imo. Was really no need. Really upset me and obviously upset a lot of people. If you abuse or boo someone like Whittaker who imo is an absolute legend and the best attacking right back since Brownlie then there really is something not right.

tamig
29-05-2020, 08:09 PM
Just heard something and thought I’d double check
He’s been released, but played in every Scottish cup tie for Hibs this season
Seems a shame he won’t be able to play in the semi and the final

An example of why I think the Cup should be scrapped. The remaining games could be played with totally different squads. A bit farcical and devalues the competition imo.

Lago
29-05-2020, 08:14 PM
Really upset me and obviously upset a lot of people. If you abuse or boo someone like Whittaker who imo is an absolute legend and the best attacking right back since Brownlie then there really is something not right.

Spot on 👍

jacomo
29-05-2020, 08:23 PM
Really upset me and obviously upset a lot of people. If you abuse or boo someone like Whittaker who imo is an absolute legend and the best attacking right back since Brownlie then there really is something not right.

:agree:

jacomo
29-05-2020, 08:26 PM
Finances are going to be tight so Hibs need to get the maximum return from every wage paid. We've not really had that from Whittaker this time around.

It could well be Whitty that's willing to drop down a level to try to get a game every week.

From what's been said, especially by the club, it sounds like an amicable parting and we could easily see him at ER in a coaching role at some point.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be an amicable parting.

He’s doing his coaching and has apparently really helped some of the kids with their development.

But... times are tough and budgets will be under pressure.

BILLYHIBS
29-05-2020, 09:19 PM
I would like to wish him all the best for the future and thank him for all his efforts on behalf of our great club both on and off the park

Hopefully we will see him back in some capacity in the future

One of the good guys!

:not worth

The 90+2
29-05-2020, 09:23 PM
I don’t see why it wouldn’t be an amicable parting.

He’s doing his coaching and has apparently really helped some of the kids with their development.

But... times are tough and budgets will be under pressure.

He wants to continue playing and focussing only on that. He will be back though. He’s close with Ross and Mathie, could call him parched 🤭

The 90+2
29-05-2020, 09:25 PM

He got very little abuse at all. Opinions on if a three year deal was right for him, hes. I’ve never heard one bit of abuse for him at the ground ever.

mim
29-05-2020, 09:32 PM
He wants to continue playing and focussing only on that. He will be back though. He’s close with Ross and Mathie, could call him parched 🤭

I'm told from a Kirkcaldy contact that Hearts are interested in Whittaker :dunno:

oneone73
29-05-2020, 09:33 PM
I'm told from a Kirkcaldy contact that Hearts are interested in Whittaker :dunno:

They were three years ago.

29-05-2020, 09:39 PM
Was on PLZ earlier today. Skip to 1hr 2mins.

https://youtu.be/28OaAPh4jP4

Best of luck Steven.

Feed McGraw
29-05-2020, 09:47 PM
He got very little abuse at all. Opinions on if a three year deal was right for him, hes. I’ve never heard one bit of abuse for him at the ground ever.Well imo he did get abuse and I was cringing when he did as I thought it was unfair and it would seem plenty others would agree that he did.There was just that feeling that as soon as he misplaced a pass or something like that a section of the crowd were right on his back.

Logie Green
29-05-2020, 09:55 PM
Well imo he did get abuse and I was cringing when he did as I thought it was unfair and it would seem plenty others would agree that he did.There was just that feeling that as soon as he misplaced a pass or something like that a section of the crowd were right on his back.

He got plenty of unjustified stick. Two clowns standing near me at Stirling Albion heckled him all match and wanted him to miss during the penalty shoot out. Complete cretins. The kind of ‘fans’ who called him a Hun b*****d but seemed oblivious that McGregor also played for them. Whittaker was a good servant for Hibs, very professional and can be proud of his career.

Robbo6-2
29-05-2020, 09:56 PM
What a player and a career.

Deserves to be placed in the list of the top 20 players to play for the club.

Had a great career and really gutted to see him go.

MWHIBBIES
29-05-2020, 10:01 PM
He got very little abuse at all. Opinions on if a three year deal was right for him, hes. I’ve never heard one bit of abuse for him at the ground ever.

Not one bit?

O'Rourke3
29-05-2020, 10:06 PM
He got very little abuse at all. Opinions on if a three year deal was right for him, hes. I’ve never heard one bit of abuse for him at the ground ever.Not at the League Cup games then

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
29-05-2020, 10:28 PM
:confused:

Remember one game he got abuse from the East the game just stopped the whole Stadium fell silent Whitts looked round at his abuser shook his head and then just carried on

Cringeworthy

IIRC 24/8/2019 HIBS 2 v 2 St Johnstone came on as a sub for SDG 56 mins treatment he received sparked off the Steven Whittaker Legend thread

Tomsk
29-05-2020, 11:41 PM
After Brownlie, the best right back I've seen at Hibs. Model pro on and off the park.

He was signed second time around as cover, filling-in for several positions, coming in to the team often having not kicked a ball in earnest for weeks and almost invariably doing a job. What more could you ask.

Hibeesmad
30-05-2020, 12:35 AM

Got abuse every time he played from folk around me.

Mibbes Aye
30-05-2020, 01:02 AM
After Brownlie, the best right back I've seen at Hibs. Model pro on and off the park.

He was signed second time around as cover, filling-in for several positions, coming in to the team often having not kicked a ball in earnest for weeks and almost invariably doing a job. What more could you ask.

I will forgive you the oversight of when Lewis was told to play on the right

Otherwise, couldn’t agree more.

The 90+2
30-05-2020, 01:40 AM
Not at the League Cup games then

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

He was a stand out and strolled the LC games. Only negatives was on social media. Never heard anything against him at games. I know him so it would have kind of stood out. Not to say it wouldn’t have happened either. Regardless what’s the point of paying tribute to a great player for the club by turning it into a negative sticking the boot into fans? Same happens all the time.

The 90+2
30-05-2020, 01:42 AM
:confused:

Remember one game he got abuse from the East the game just stopped the whole Stadium fell silent Whitts looked round at his abuser shook his head and then just carried on

Cringeworthy

IIRC 24/8/2019 HIBS 2 v 2 St Johnstone came on as a sub for SDG 56 mins treatment he received sparked off the Steven Whittaker Legend thread

Can’t remember that Bill, not good if true.

No point turning a positive into a negative though. Maybe I’m just happy I’ve got a new healthy Hibee nephew born on the day we won the cup 👍💚

Captain Trips
30-05-2020, 01:48 AM

To do it better? Your first sentence certainly refers to his first time at club. That is not the player we signed nor did I expect it to be but his 2nd stint at club was average at best. A few good games a lot average and a few poor.

The 90+2
30-05-2020, 01:53 AM
Not one bit?

Didn’t say one bit mate. I wish I knew how to multi quote. He got unfair abuse online he strolled the league cup games especially in the middle of the park and was our best right back I can remember. Miles better than Orman who he replaced and DLC who had a great career too. Agathe doesn’t count because he played as a forward when he played with us and Derek Collins and Gary Smith are the most under rated players ever.

Mibbes Aye
30-05-2020, 02:02 AM
To do it better? Your first sentence certainly refers to his first time at club. That is not the player we signed nor did I expect it to be but his 2nd stint at club was average at best. A few good games a lot average and a few poor.

Whittaker can never get it right for some folk. When I first started viewing this site many years ago, a couple of years before I properly signed up, there were constant threads about whether he was good enough to play RB (and in fairness I always thought we should have tried him at CB, especially if we were playing a back three).

He won a cup with us, won a ton of silverware with the Huns and did enough to get a good few seasons in England. He picked up a load of international caps and we got him back, injuries admittedly affecting him, and we asked him to play a bunch of different roles, often at short notice.

I am not a player, I don’t know what goes on in the changing room or at East Mains but I am certain that Whitts has been a positive influence in the squad. I am also disappointed that he isn’t being kept on to do work with the dev squad in the way that Per Mertasacker transitioned with Arsenal.

Bristolhibby
30-05-2020, 04:32 AM
An example of why I think the Cup should be scrapped. The remaining games could be played with totally different squads. A bit farcical and devalues the competition imo.

But seeing - Hibernian Scottish Cup Winners 2020 is just too tempting though.

Get them played, however not sure how Cup tied works though.

First week of the season back. Semis on the Wednesday, Final on the Saturday.

Jobs a good un.

J

Ozyhibby
30-05-2020, 06:36 AM
Wish him all the best going forward. Great servant to the club and from what I hear a very good professional.
I’m glad his contract is not being renewed though. Has struggled in his 2nd spell here and it was clear very quickly that he would not be able to play in the right back role he was signed for. His versatility meant he managed to step into different roles occasionally but on the whole a disappointing return for me.
Good luck to him with the coaching. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
30-05-2020, 06:48 AM
Defending was never his strong point even in his first spell. He pace had clearly gone and it was suicidal to play him at right back. Cost a lot of goals but blame the manager. Much better in the holding midfield role. Had a great career though and obviously attached to our club - turned Hearts down for us and probably offered more money.

Brightside
30-05-2020, 07:00 AM

He got plenty. A good footballer but very slow these days. Be interesting to see where he plays next season.

Salisbury Hibby
30-05-2020, 07:58 AM
But seeing - Hibernian Scottish Cup Winners 2020 is just too tempting though.

Get them played, however not sure how Cup tied works though.

First week of the season back. Semis on the Wednesday, Final on the Saturday.

Jobs a good un.

JI'm starting to think the SFA should scrap the cup but give the four semi finalists byes to the QFs.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

neil7908
30-05-2020, 07:59 AM
Wish him the best but the right decision letting him go. He got far too much flak but I think he became a symbol of our poor recruitment and imbalanced squad.

MWHIBBIES
30-05-2020, 08:30 AM
Didn’t say one bit mate. I wish I knew how to multi quote. He got unfair abuse online he strolled the league cup games especially in the middle of the park and was our best right back I can remember. Miles better than Orman who he replaced and DLC who had a great career too. Agathe doesn’t count because he played as a forward when he played with us and Derek Collins and Gary Smith are the most under rated players ever.

He received plenty of abuse this season and last. At the ground and online

we are hibs
30-05-2020, 08:36 AM
He wasnt good enough. I would prefer to remember him as the player we had in his 1st spell rather than 2nd.

Since452
30-05-2020, 09:42 AM
He was my MOTM on a few occasions. His team mates seemed to rave about him which says a lot.

Great career though and one most of his fellow pros could only dream of.

Tomsk
30-05-2020, 10:04 AM
]I will forgive you the oversight of when Lewis was told to play on the right [/B]

Otherwise, couldn’t agree more.

:greengrin I'll do the funnies, chap.

Tomsk
30-05-2020, 10:11 AM

We all see it differently, but I feel you're being unduly harsh on a guy who was signed to give some depth to the squad beyond the first picks and to provide cover in several positions when needed. It's the last bit that's tricky. Easy enough in theory, difficult in practice, especially when you're not playing regularly. I think he did a decent job.

Tomsk
30-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Whittaker can never get it right for some folk. When I first started viewing this site many years ago, a couple of years before I properly signed up, there were constant threads about whether he was good enough to play RB (and in fairness I always thought we should have tried him at CB, especially if we were playing a back three).

He won a cup with us, won a ton of silverware with the Huns and did enough to get a good few seasons in England. He picked up a load of international caps and we got him back, injuries admittedly affecting him, and we asked him to play a bunch of different roles, often at short notice.

I am not a player, I don’t know what goes on in the changing room or at East Mains but I am certain that Whitts has been a positive influence in the squad. I am also disappointed that he isn’t being kept on to do work with the dev squad in the way that Per Mertasacker transitioned with Arsenal.

You're not helping here. :wink:

CentreLine
30-05-2020, 10:21 AM

For me Brownlie is number one. Bobbie Duncan has to be a close second ahead of Whittaker.

Hibeesmad
30-05-2020, 10:23 AM
He got plenty. A good footballer but very slow these days. Be interesting to see where he plays next season.

I think he will still be playing in the Premiership.

Smartie
30-05-2020, 10:29 AM
He was a stand out and strolled the LC games. Only negatives was on social media. Never heard anything against him at games. I know him so it would have kind of stood out. Not to say it wouldn’t have happened either. Regardless what’s the point of paying tribute to a great player for the club by turning it into a negative sticking the boot into fans? Same happens all the time.

He actually had a very good season for us this season when called upon.

A couple of weaker performances at FB maybe, as it was becoming clear he was struggling a bit for pace but he put in some very good, consistent performances.

He was better this season than the previous 2.

Scouse Hibee
30-05-2020, 10:47 AM

You never heard it but it happened.

It’s a great pity he never got to say farewell on the pitch, a very good player who still proved his worth whenever called upon.

Ozyhibby
30-05-2020, 10:59 AM

On the last point, why would it be Whittaker that moved into that role and not Gray or McGregor.
Is Whittaker a good coach? I know he has been helping out with coaching and been doing his badges as well as some scouting work but does that put him in prime position to take the job of whoever is doing this role just now?
I would like our academy to be full of ex players helping the youngsters but they have to be top coaches.
For what it’s worth, I have heard he is decent at coaching and it’s likely he will get role.
My point is more to do with fans always asking for ageing players to be given coaching roles as if we always have vacancies. I would hope recruitment of the coaching staff is more considered than just whatever player happens to be hanging up the boots. In fact I know it is.

G B Young
30-05-2020, 11:16 AM

Agree. It's daft that there's even talk of the games being played next year. Who cares any more?

Ozyhibby
30-05-2020, 12:48 PM
Agree. It's daft that there's even talk of the games being played next year. Who cares any more?

Absolute nonsense. The cup is a major part of our football and should be played to a finish if possible. In my mind, the cup is devalued if we don’t play it.
I can understand the league being halted with about 40 games to be played but the cup has only 3 to go and should be played to a finish.
And when Hanlon lifts it, I won’t give two hoots how late it is in finishing.
Besides, all 4 clubs need the money.

Captain Trips
30-05-2020, 05:11 PM

Cannot get it right? First spell excellent player 2nd spell average at best.

Plenty of praise from me when first spell that though has nothing to do with 2nd spell and for me no great loss.

3pm
30-05-2020, 05:14 PM
Was it this season he had the great game at Centre Half v Celtic?

Captain Trips
30-05-2020, 05:15 PM
We all see it differently, but I feel you're being unduly harsh on a guy who was signed to give some depth to the squad beyond the first picks and to provide cover in several positions when needed. It's the last bit that's tricky. Easy enough in theory, difficult in practice, especially when you're not playing regularly. I think he did a decent job.

I do not think I am being harsh I do not think he was anything of note 2nd time round. Put it this way IMO we would be no higher or probably lower in league if he had played or not.

The 90+2
30-05-2020, 05:20 PM
He received plenty of abuse this season and last. At the ground and online

I didn’t hear any at all actually at the ground. I’ll take your word for it though and that’s a shame. (Not your word, the abuse).

JimBHibees
30-05-2020, 06:11 PM
Was it this season he had the great game at Centre Half v Celtic?

Yep man of the match. Was he not also mom v United at home in the cup was excellent that night.

Mibbes Aye
30-05-2020, 08:47 PM
On the last point, why would it be Whittaker that moved into that role and not Gray or McGregor.
Is Whittaker a good coach? I know he has been helping out with coaching and been doing his badges as well as some scouting work but does that put him in prime position to take the job of whoever is doing this role just now?
I would like our academy to be full of ex players helping the youngsters but they have to be top coaches.
For what it’s worth, I have heard he is decent at coaching and it’s likely he will get role.
My point is more to do with fans always asking for ageing players to be given coaching roles as if we always have vacancies. I would hope recruitment of the coaching staff is more considered than just whatever player happens to be hanging up the boots. In fact I know it is.

I agree with you I think. The impression I had was that Whittaker was brought in with the intention of a gradual transition to coaching. There was stuff on the official website and so on. I can understand that because he has a reputation for being a model pro, smart and let’s be honest, managed to progress from Hibs. It might be galling for us but going to the Huns and holding down a place and then getting his game in England in the top two tier, but especially the EPL is progress. That carries weight in terms of reputation. It maybe shouldn’t but it does.

I have read a lot of posts on here about Gray and McGregor but have no idea what their coaching credentials are. They are Hibs players who I will always love but I have no idea whether they could improve the club when they stop playing and don’t buy into the ‘job for life’ stuff that a couple of people have posted.

Peevemor
31-05-2020, 10:11 AM
Hibs have said that they hope to see Whittaker back in future. He has said he wants to continue playing.

Had Covid19 not knocked the arse out of things then maybe we would have kept him on as an occasional player making the transition to coaching but economically speaking the goalposts have shifted.