PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Strachan

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 01:38 PM
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/scottish-football/id129625085#episodeGuid=urn%3Abbc%3Apodcast%3Ap08f 3z2d

Totally agree with everything him and Broadfoot talked about here. We need to rethink how we do things in Scotland. I would have the biggest teams in the top league with no relegation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2020, 01:42 PM
No relegation is a horrible idea. If folk didn't want a 16 or 18 team league because of pointless games they really wouldn't want a league where you can literally lose every match and suffer no consequences for it.

How do you define the biggest teams as well? East fife and Queens park would be in there if its based on trophies won.

Waxy
25-05-2020, 01:45 PM
No relegation?
People are going mad.

tamig
25-05-2020, 01:45 PM
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/scottish-football/id129625085#episodeGuid=urn%3Abbc%3Apodcast%3Ap08f 3z2d

Totally agree with everything him and Broadfoot talked about here. We need to rethink how we do things in Scotland. I would have the biggest teams in the top league with no relegation.

What nonsense.

easty
25-05-2020, 01:51 PM
Couldn’t possibly agree with no relegation.

You could literally have half a season left with nothing to play for. I genuinely think I’d rather watch us fighting out a relegation battle than watch us just play games for the sake of it.

H18 SFR
25-05-2020, 01:53 PM
Strachan strikes me as someone who is building up to a Glenn Hoddle type comment after his Adam Johnston stuff and some of this nonsense.

chippy
25-05-2020, 01:53 PM

Watch out for the pile , they’ll be questioning your affiliations next

chippy
25-05-2020, 02:03 PM

You could literally have half a season left with nothing to play for. I genuinely think I’d rather watch us fighting out a relegation battle than watch us just play games for the sake of it.

Plenty to play for in a 16 or even 18 team league with splits after 30 or 34 games. No relegation doesn’t mean no expulsion. Wasn’t it in the old English 4th division , the bottom team had to get re elected by all the members?

Andy74
25-05-2020, 02:04 PM

No, it is ultimately a sport and results should dictate where teams end up, not ‘size’.

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 02:09 PM
Personally I would rather watch a Dundee derby than Livi v Hamilton. If we want to sell our game then we need to have the best product to sell to broadcasters.
You can say they have better teams but the quality of their teams is as much down to the plastic pitch as anything else. Livi rarely win on grass.
Having no relegation allows clubs to invest without the fear of the rug being pulled from under them. And I don’t mean just in players but in stadiums as well. The can concentrate fully on long term thinking rather than the short term survival stuff.
They have no relegation in American sports and people love watching. There needs to be a way of closing the gap on Celtic in order that other teams have a chance of winning.
It’s bad for the game to have the same champions every year.

Waxy
25-05-2020, 02:11 PM
Plenty to play for in a 16 or even 18 team league with splits after 30 or 34 games. No relegation doesn’t mean no expulsion. Wasn’t it in the old English 4th division , the bottom team had to get re elected by all the members?

What a great idea. Lets just ignore all our evolution and go back over 100 years. Your a mastermind you are.

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 02:11 PM
No, it is ultimately a sport and results should dictate where teams end up, not ‘size’.

Livi and Hamilton are playing a different game from the rest of us with the plastic pitches. Livi are garbage on grass but can’t be beat on their pitch. It’s gets them results but is it good for Scottish football? Have you ever seen a good game played on that pitch?

calumhibee1
25-05-2020, 02:13 PM
Absolutely agree it has to be based on sporting performance.

I think this is highlighting (may have been budge who said this before) that we have too many clubs in Scotland for the size of the country. There are too many clubs with virtually no fan base which means they are not able to build a foundation. A country the size of Scotland should probably only have 2 leagues (total of 20-24 teams.

HoboHarry
25-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Personally I would rather watch a Dundee derby than Livi v Hamilton. If we want to sell our game then we need to have the best product to sell to broadcasters.
You can say they have better teams but the quality of their teams is as much down to the plastic pitch as anything else. Livi rarely win on grass.
Having no relegation allows clubs to invest without the fear of the rug being pulled from under them. And I don’t mean just in players but in stadiums as well. The can concentrate fully on long term thinking rather than the short term survival stuff.
They have no relegation in American sports and people love watching. There needs to be a way of closing the gap on Celtic in order that other teams have a chance of winning.

You beat me to it with the American comparison - no struggling to get crowds in the door here.

Gloucester Hibs
25-05-2020, 02:17 PM
You’ve got to have relegation; there has to be some jeopardy there on you’re left with a huge chunk of matches which are effectively dead rubbers. As much as I’d like to cherry pick a top league that only includes the teams with the best history/support/rivalries.

JohnM1875
25-05-2020, 02:20 PM
No relagation is a horrendous idea. May as well just chuck the whole thing.

The Modfather
25-05-2020, 02:20 PM
What nonsense.

What a constructive reply!

I think we should welcome out the box thinking like this, despite it probably not being something I’d be in favour of (unless we start the no relegation from next season 😀).

There’s always folk moaning about teams like Livi & Hamilton being in the top flight and not better supported clubs like the Dundee clubs etc, despite Livi & Hamilton being there on sporting merit.

easty
25-05-2020, 02:21 PM
I take it that anyone advocating no relegation, just keeping the big teams in the big league, would be happy for the Champions League just to be the same teams every season? No qualification, just the same teams every year. Same with the Europa?

Why not just do that with the World Cup too? Invite the countries FIFA want there, scrap the qualifiers. That’d save players having to play too many games too.

Steve20
25-05-2020, 02:22 PM
No relegation is one of the worst ideas I've heard.

Too many on here WANT Hearts to stay up it seems. Short term memories I think.

Waxy
25-05-2020, 02:23 PM
Livi and Hamilton are playing a different game from the rest of us with the plastic pitches. Livi are garbage on grass but can’t be beat on their pitch. It’s gets them results but is it good for Scottish football? Have you ever seen a good game played on that pitch?

Rather watch a Livi v Hamilton relegation battle than Dundee derby with nothing at stake. How boring, and after years of that no one will care.

Since452
25-05-2020, 02:35 PM
No relegation is most nonsensical idea yet

delbert
25-05-2020, 03:00 PM

Livi didn’t seem to have too many problems on the grass in Edinburgh last season at either Easter Road or Tynecastle

Billy Whizz
25-05-2020, 03:04 PM
Livi didn’t seem to have too many problems on the grass in Edinburgh last season at either Easter Road or Tynecastle

You should have a look at their away record v home form
28 points at home and 11 away
Kilmarnock 23 at home and 10 away

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2020, 03:07 PM

A wonderful sample size.

Try the last 2 seasons. It is a huge difference.

blackpoolhibs
25-05-2020, 03:09 PM
You should have a look at their away record v home form
28 points at home and 11 away
Kilmarnock 23 at home and 10 away
Is that not the same for most clubs Billy?

Rather than no relegation, i'd ban plastic pitches.

Billy Whizz
25-05-2020, 03:11 PM
Is that not the same for most clubs Billy?

Rather than no relegation, i'd ban plastic pitches.

It sure is, gives them a big advantage
I’d ban them too in the top league

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 03:11 PM
Livi only won one league game on grass last season. Last August v Ross County.

JeMeSouviens
25-05-2020, 03:13 PM
I'm not exactly sure he said "no relegation". They were basically talking about a re-split of the league structure. Put the part-time teams that don't aspire to the top down into an expanded highland/lowland or whatever. It was pretty half-baked stuff as:

- the example he gave, Livi v Ross County would never be on the telly anyway
- take away the special cases of Rangers and Hearts going bust in the last decade, it's rare for "big" clubs to be in the lower leagues anyway. You get the odd relegation like ours or Hearts but having Hibs, Hearts down and Rangers replaced by Sevco all at the same time was
- it's not the lack of income that stops competition, it's the disparity
- we don't really have many big clubs

I agree about the plastic pitches though.

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 03:19 PM
I'm not exactly sure he said "no relegation". They were basically talking about a re-split of the league structure. Put the part-time teams that don't aspire to the top down into an expanded highland/lowland or whatever. It was pretty half-baked stuff as:

- the example he gave, Livi v Ross County would never be on the telly anyway
- take away the special cases of Rangers and Hearts going bust in the last decade, it's rare for "big" clubs to be in the lower leagues anyway. You get the odd relegation like ours or Hearts but having Hibs, Hearts down and Rangers replaced by Sevco all at the same time was
- it's not the lack of income that stops competition, it's the disparity
- we don't really have many big clubs

I agree about the plastic pitches though.

It was broadfoots reference to the way things are done in America that made me think that is where they were heading.
I can’t remember the last time we had all the big teams in the premiership to be able to attract sponsors and tv companies?

tamig
25-05-2020, 03:23 PM
What a constructive reply!

I think we should welcome out the box thinking like this, despite it probably not being something I’d be in favour of (unless we start the no relegation from next season 😀).

There’s always folk moaning about teams like Livi & Hamilton being in the top flight and not better supported clubs like the Dundee clubs etc, despite Livi & Hamilton being there on sporting merit.
What’s nonsense is proposing a set-up based on no relegation and trying to ensure the “big” teams are shoehorned in. I will never begrudge the Livingstons and Hamiltons their place at the top table - if was achieved on the park. Similarly, if a league exists below the top division, relegation has to exist.

JeMeSouviens
25-05-2020, 03:29 PM
It was broadfoots reference to the way things are done in America that made me think that is where they were heading.
I can’t remember the last time we had all the big teams in the premiership to be able to attract sponsors and tv companies?

Well, if we're relying on Dundee United being a gamechanger we might be in for a slight disappointment. :wink:

Clarence
25-05-2020, 03:42 PM
Strachan strikes me as someone who is building up to a Glenn Hoddle type comment after his Adam Johnston stuff and some of this nonsense.

He seems to lose the plot pretty easily. Got very agitated over the professional status of clubs, making strange references about there being several sets of goals at the sides of the pitch etc.

Strachan was very sharp and funny about 20 years ago but I think he should limit his media appearances these days before he goes full Duke of Edinburgh.

Andy74
25-05-2020, 03:44 PM

They have plastic and grass pitches in America and everyone loves to watch....

Kato
25-05-2020, 03:47 PM
They have plastic and grass pitches in America and everyone loves to watch....Livi standard plastic pitches?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

JimboHibs
25-05-2020, 03:50 PM

Wouldnt want no relegation,i do think there has to be big changes apart from Celtic & Rangers all other club's in the SPL are closer to being relegated than ever winning the League.

Andy74
25-05-2020, 03:52 PM

The teams we would prefer to watch is neither here nor there. I'm sure if you take an example from England that the likes of Leeds, Sunderland etc are preferable to Brighton, Bournemouth and so on.

You've said it is bad for the game to have the same champions over and over again - does that not apply to having the leagues made up of teams that deserve to be there based on what happens on the pitch rather than some choice on how big or successful they are at some point in time?

The American comparison is just not the same. The leagues are largely supplied from a college set up and there are drafts in place to ensure that the weakest teams in previous years get the opportunity to get the better players. There are wild cards, play offs in conferences and between conferences and a bit less chance for the same 2 or 3 teams to dominate over an extended period.

jacomo
25-05-2020, 03:54 PM
Well, if we're relying on Dundee United being a gamechanger we might be in for a slight disappointment. :wink:

Unfortunately, last time Dundee Utd were in the top flight even the Scottish Cup didn’t stop boredom setting in and attendances falling.

Not sure what the answer is, but I hope the Tannadice faithful remain more faithful this time around. Away fans outnumbering home fans is not a good look.

Kaff
25-05-2020, 04:18 PM
I'm surprised Sky haven't come to Scotland and made some proposals. They're losing sports hand over fist to other channels and we're sitting here with an underfunded 'product' where one of their largest markets (England) all have a favourite team and would watch in big numbers if they sprinkled some stardust on it.
Biggest thing i would recommend would be a pitch fund where all clubs get paid the same allowance from the pot and it has to be spent on a high grade hybrid grass pitch and equipment to look after and maintain it.
If we had top quality pitches at the highest level we would see an increase in skill and entertainment over night. I know Hearts go against that this season but Levein is the kind of dinosaur we need out of the game and these pitches would do that fairly quickly.
Look how good Motherwell are atm, pitch has been great this last while. There would be no having to plan for half the season on a heavy pitch full of divots and the other half good, well playing, grass surfaces with the added headache of 25% of the pitches being plastic with their own differences too.
Strachan is right a out some of the matches not being attractive but Darren Fletcher was also right that we downplay our game too much, there is still a uniqueness that is better than many of the aspects of English game and we need to get someone like Sky on board to really push to get this across while also putting investment into the game that is not simply increasing player wages, it has to be about the game experience improving and getting exciting kids into the league.
Better pitches make for more skillful football and the hackers slowly but surely will get left behind

Haymaker
25-05-2020, 04:21 PM
You beat me to it with the American comparison - no struggling to get crowds in the door here.

Not so sure on that one matey, have you seen Baltimore play? They've dropped nearly 50% average attendance in the last 5 baseball season from 30,000 average in 2014 to 16,000 in 2019.

While football crowds are big I'd say that the other 3 major sports are very much on a swing depending on how good and who they are playing.

Haymaker
25-05-2020, 04:24 PM
I'm surprised Sky haven't come to Scotland and made some proposals. They're losing sports hand over fist to other channels and we're sitting here with an underfunded 'product' where one of their largest markets (England) all have a favourite team and would watch in big numbers if they sprinkled some stardust on it.

Not sure if I got this right but in my experience of growing up and living in England hardly anyone has any knowledge of any scottish team other than the OF. Certainly not a favourite except Chelsea fans and a few Southampton fans.

Hibby Kay-Yay
25-05-2020, 04:25 PM
If we’re talking change then let’s look at having a European league. Is that not what was/is in discussion already?

easty
25-05-2020, 04:26 PM
If we’re talking change then let’s look at having a European league. Is that not what was/is in discussion already?

I’ve even less interest in a European league than I have in a Scottish league with no relegation.

Anyone who thinks a European league would see us playing any teams like PSG or Ajax, rather than Djurgardens or Charleroi, is off their head. Where’s the appeal?

Kaff
25-05-2020, 04:28 PM
Not sure if I got this right but in my experience of growing up and living in England hardly anyone has any knowledge of any scottish team other than the OF. Certainly not a favourite except Chelsea fans and a few Southampton fans.

Unfortunately I do mean that they generally favour one of the OF but in doing so they do have some interest in our game, we have a higher starting point of interest than if Sky suddenly thought they would pump money into an alternative league like Denmark, Norway or even Ireland (the irony).

Edit
My main point is that monetary investment is better going into many more things than just player wages. Atm we're competing at Lge1/2 level for players and doubling the wages at most clubs would probably only bring us up to small Championship clubs so chucking every penny into wages is not the answer.
I'm still surprised Sky don't try and do more with our game, it may be that this deal is the beginning of that?

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 04:29 PM
I’ve even less interest in a European league than I have in a Scottish league with no relegation.

Anyone who thinks a European league would see us playing any teams like PSG or Ajax, rather than Djurgardens or Charleroi, is off their head. Where’s the appeal?

It’s coming whether we like it or not.

easty
25-05-2020, 04:39 PM

I disagree

HIBEETILLIDIE
25-05-2020, 04:53 PM

Don’t forget Kilmarnock and that excuse for a pitch they have!

Waxy
25-05-2020, 05:03 PM

Rather just play livi than similar scandanavian teams. Whats the point.
European comps will do.

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 05:06 PM
European comps will do.

It’s all about money. Club owners will be looking at how they can make more money.

Michael
25-05-2020, 05:07 PM

On paper a European league sounds good, but we'd never get any away fans in again.

chippy
25-05-2020, 05:09 PM
What a great idea. Lets just ignore all our evolution and go back over 100 years. Your a mastermind you are.

Your a genius, great response and so constructive

easty
25-05-2020, 05:11 PM
It’s all about money. Club owners will be looking at how they can make more money.

What more money are we going to make playing against FC Honka or FC Sion? I don't imagine there are sponsors desperate to put their names to it, I don't see Sky clamouring around to give us a massive tv deal. It'll put expenses up for travelling to games, it'll mean less away fans at Easter Road.

chippy
25-05-2020, 05:17 PM

I think so too alongside a domestic league

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 05:20 PM
What more money are we going to make playing against FC Honka or FC Sion? I don't imagine there are sponsors desperate to put their names to it, I don't see Sky clamouring around to give us a massive tv deal. It'll put expenses up for travelling to games, it'll mean less away fans at Easter Road.

An Atlantic league set up puts us in a tv market of 60m people. Sponsors love that kind of thing strangely enough.

chippy
25-05-2020, 05:27 PM
European comps will do.
Really I’d rather play Norwegian, Danish or Swedish clubs with fan bases around our size or larger. Plenty would watch the away games if streamed and we’d sell plenty tickets if it was a genuine competition.

tamig
25-05-2020, 05:38 PM
Really I’d rather play Norwegian, Danish or Swedish clubs with fan bases around our size or larger. Plenty would watch the away games if streamed and we’d sell plenty tickets if it was a genuine competition.

How would this work alongside a domestic league then? How would it be funded? I’m sure costs for a Euro league of sorts would be a lot higher than for domestic games. Or is it all based on size and the individual clubs ability to pay?

easty
25-05-2020, 05:48 PM
An Atlantic league set up puts us in a tv market of 60m people. Sponsors love that kind of thing strangely enough.

Aye 60m people across Europe are desperate to watch teams they’ve barely heard of from the wee leagues in Europe right enough.

6m people watched the Europa league final last year, Chelsea v Arsenal.

I wonder how many would tune in for Motherwell v Mechelen?

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 05:52 PM
Aye 60m people across Europe are desperate to watch teams they’ve barely heard of from the wee leagues in Europe right enough.

6m people watched the Europa league final last year, Chelsea v Arsenal.

I wonder how many would tune in for Motherwell v Mechelen?

I doubt Motherwell would get an invite. I just hope Hibs do.

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 05:54 PM
Atlantic league
2/ 18 team leagues

Ajax 49,403
Feyenoord 45,419
Celtic 44,849
New Rangers 45,415
PSV 32,465
FC Twente 28,518
Hammarby (Sweden) 25,507
Club Brugge (Belguim) 24,430
Herenveen 24,314
AIK (Sweden) 20,983
Anderlecht 20,675
Genk (Belguim) 20,590
Standard Liege (Belguim) 20,415
Groningen 20,193
NAC Breda 18,112
Rosenborg (Norway) 18,039
Hibs 18,000
Hearts 18,000
Malmo (Sweden) 17,332
Vitesse 17,212
Utrecht 16,646
AZ Alkmaar 15,512
Djurgardens IF (Sweden) 15,484
FC Copenhagen (Denmark) 15,448
Brondby (Denmark) 15,143
IFK Gothenborg (Sweden) 14,350
Aberdeen 13,094
PEC Zwolle 12,213
Willem II 12,099
ADO Den Haag 11,976
IFK Norkoping (Sweden) 10,296
Viking FK (Norway) 10,272
SK Brann (Norway) 10,124
KV Mechelan (Belguim)10,160
Valerenga IF (Norway) 10,099
KAA Gent (Belguim) 10,090

Tv market
Holland 17m
Belguim 11m
Sweden 10m
Denmark 5.6m
Scotland 5.5m
Norway 5.1m
Total 52mi

A league like that would bring in a lot more sponsors and money than we could dream of just now.

tamig
25-05-2020, 06:35 PM
Atlantic league
2/ 18 team leagues

Ajax 49,403
Feyenoord 45,419
Celtic 44,849
New Rangers 45,415
PSV 32,465
FC Twente 28,518
Hammarby (Sweden) 25,507
Herenveen 24,314
AIK (Sweden) 20,983
Anderlecht 20,675
Genk (Belguim) 20,590
Groningen 20,193
NAC Breda 18,112
Hibs 18,000
Hearts 18,000
Malmo (Sweden) 17,332
Vitesse 17,212
Utrecht 16,646
AZ Alkmaar 15,512
Brondby (Denmark) 15,143
Aberdeen 13,094
PEC Zwolle 12,213
Willem II 12,099
ADO Den Haag 11,976
SK Brann (Norway) 10,124

Tv market
Holland 17m
Belguim 11m
Sweden 10m
Denmark 5.6m
Scotland 5.5m
Norway 5.1m
Total 52mi

A league like that would bring in a lot more sponsors and money than we could dream of just now.

What are the numbers after the team names meant to represent? Average attendances? If so, some are way off the mark.

MWHIBBIES
25-05-2020, 06:48 PM
Atlantic league
2/ 18 team leagues

Ajax 49,403
Feyenoord 45,419
Celtic 44,849
New Rangers 45,415
PSV 32,465
FC Twente 28,518
Hammarby (Sweden) 25,507
Herenveen 24,314
AIK (Sweden) 20,983
Anderlecht 20,675
Genk (Belguim) 20,590
Groningen 20,193
NAC Breda 18,112
Hibs 18,000
Hearts 18,000
Malmo (Sweden) 17,332
Vitesse 17,212
Utrecht 16,646
AZ Alkmaar 15,512
Brondby (Denmark) 15,143
Aberdeen 13,094
PEC Zwolle 12,213
Willem II 12,099
ADO Den Haag 11,976
SK Brann (Norway) 10,124

Tv market
Holland 17m
Belguim 11m
Sweden 10m
Denmark 5.6m
Scotland 5.5m
Norway 5.1m
Total 52mi

Buzzing for maybe 1 away game a season. Horrible idea. It would bring plenty money to another Scottish team because I'd go and watch them every second week instead of Hibs away on TV.

Utter disaster that thankfully wont happen.

Tommy75
25-05-2020, 07:00 PM
Have never bought in to the idea that an Atlantic League or something similar would be better or more enjoyable as a Hibs fan. We would end up playing the majority of our home games with probably less away fans than come now from teams like Ross County, Livingston etc. Similarly, how many Hibs fans could afford to fork out travelling across Europe to watch us play.

I also don't see why, in this day and age with a climate emergency, it would be a good idea flying squads around Europe every week just to play league matches.

chippy
25-05-2020, 07:04 PM
How would this work alongside a domestic league then? How would it be funded? I’m sure costs for a Euro league of sorts would be a lot higher than for domestic games. Or is it all based on size and the individual clubs ability to pay?

Our B teams in the domestic league

Renfrew_Hibby
25-05-2020, 07:05 PM

What if say in a decades time, after the huge global depression that is heading our way, small countries like like us and the Scandinavians might only be able to realistically support 4 or 5 pro teams.
The conditions would be ripe for regionalised euro leagues outwith the 5 major leagues.
We could have a semi pro east/west or north/south set up for remaining sides who could be attached to a senior pro club, much like US baseball where minor league clubs in smaller cities are attached to a major league club. The MLB side supports the minor league side financially and uses it like an academy side.
So Hibs would be in the euro leagues with say Stirling or Raith or even both being attached to us.

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 07:15 PM
Have never bought in to the idea that an Atlantic League or something similar would be better or more enjoyable as a Hibs fan. We would end up playing the majority of our home games with probably less away fans than come now from teams like Ross County, Livingston etc. Similarly, how many Hibs fans could afford to fork out travelling across Europe to watch us play.

I also don't see why, in this day and age with a climate emergency, it would be a good idea flying squads around Europe every week just to play league matches.

Given the TV money involved I doubt club owners would give much thought to the massive Ross County travelling support.
It’s money that will drive this.

hibbysam
25-05-2020, 07:30 PM
Given the TV money involved I doubt club owners would give much thought to the massive Ross County travelling support.

We go around the houses with this conversation every 6 weeks. There is absolutely no chance that a hibs crowd will keep up when we are trudging around the 2nd division of 18 teams (laughable if you think we’re even in the top 36 teams anyway but that’s another argument), with absolutely no prospect of anything remotely like success. In fact, what is success in that league? Zero interest to me, or anyone that goes to the games with me. Give me the Scottish game any day of the week, whether it’s *****y auld stadia, plastic pitches in a 3 sided stadium, or getting pumped by Rangers, nothing compares to it.

tamig
25-05-2020, 07:36 PM

We’re about to enter a global recession the like of which has never been seen. The TV and media firms aren’t bulletproof. Where do you think this bottomless pit of TV cash is coming from?

Pagan Hibernia
25-05-2020, 07:38 PM

Such a concept needs to be opposed and fought at every turn

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 07:41 PM
We go around the houses with this conversation every 6 weeks. There is absolutely no chance that a hibs crowd will keep up when we are trudging around the 2nd division of 18 teams (laughable if you think we’re even in the top 36 teams anyway but that’s another argument), with absolutely no prospect of anything remotely like success. In fact, what is success in that league? Zero interest to me, or anyone that goes to the games with me. Give me the Scottish game any day of the week, whether it’s *****y auld stadia, plastic pitches in a 3 sided stadium, or getting pumped by Rangers, nothing compares to it.

You don’t think we would be in the top 36 clubs of those nations?

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 07:42 PM
We’re about to enter a global recession the like of which has never been seen. The TV and media firms aren’t bulletproof. Where do you think this bottomless pit of TV cash is coming from?

It might be the very thing that drives it. We may lose clubs, or other countries lose clubs. Who knows?

PH91
25-05-2020, 07:45 PM
I'd be ok with it but I'd make a few tweaks
- it should be played alongside our domestic league
- only the best teams in each league should be invited into it
- it should be a knockout competition

weecounty hibby
25-05-2020, 07:53 PM
The Scottish League isn't as bad as is made out. The OF are freaks with ridiculously high consistent average attendances but ourselves, hearts and Aberdeen are having highest attendances in years. Clubs have won trophies that hadn't for years, us included. The product we have is pretty good but us marketed very very badly. We constantly talk it down and big up England. FFS they are ten times bigger than us. We need to stop thinking everything revolves around the OF, yes they are a draw but they are not the be all and end all. At them moment we are allowing one incredibly badly run club hold everyone else back by ****ing about thinking about themselves and making us all look stupid.

Keith_M
25-05-2020, 07:53 PM

With a population of about 320 million and only 32 NFL teams, it's not exactly a great comparison.

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 07:56 PM
With a population of about 320 million and only 32 NFL teams, it's not exactly a great comparison.

Almost like having less teams is a good thing.

Keith_M
25-05-2020, 08:01 PM
Almost like having less teams is a good thing.

So you're saying we should also have one team for every ten million people?

That's gonna work out well in Scotland

Alfred E Newman
25-05-2020, 08:05 PM
The Scottish League isn't as bad as is made out. The OF are freaks with ridiculously high consistent average attendances but ourselves, hearts and Aberdeen are having highest attendances in years. Clubs have won trophies that hadn't for years, us included. The product we have is pretty good but us marketed very very badly. We constantly talk it down and big up England. FFS they are ten times bigger than us. We need to stop thinking everything revolves around the OF, yes they are a draw but they are not the be all and end all. At them moment we are allowing one incredibly badly run club hold everyone else back by ****ing about thinking about themselves and making us all look stupid.

Correct. If Hearts had won at St Mirren in the last game before the lockdown there would be no reconstruction talks. Clubs are going to struggle for a while and some may not recover but there was no suggestion there was anything wrong with the league set up a couple of months ago.

hibbysam
25-05-2020, 08:09 PM
You don’t think we would be in the top 36 clubs of those nations?

Your capping it at nations you want to cap it at. Even at that, no I don’t, however even if we did it would have no appeal to me at all. What’s your idea of success? Top half of the second league? What are we making money for? If we make money those above us make more and we stay where we are. No Europe, so no need to try and compete in that. Your pro’s seem to base it around the owners making loads of money, and you want a closed shop in Scotland like America. Carnage.

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 08:12 PM
Your capping it at nations you want to cap it at. Even at that, no I don’t, however even if we did it would have no appeal to me at all. What’s your idea of success? Top half of the second league? What are we making money for? If we make money those above us make more and we stay where we are. No Europe, so no need to try and compete in that. Your pro’s seem to base it around the owners making loads of money, and you want a closed shop in Scotland like America. Carnage.

I personally don’t see why we need to be in 2nd div. The pros for me are being able to afford better players to watch at Easter road. Not having to sell players to smaller clubs than us in England.

The_Exile
25-05-2020, 08:14 PM
Let's be honest, Scottish fitba is ****ing ***** apart from around 20ish games a season. I agree with Strachan.

JimboHibs
25-05-2020, 08:23 PM
Suppose it comes down to what your own expectations as a fan are ? If your happy as it is say last 30 years thats fine or if your looking for competition to actually close the gap then changes are required.
My own opinion and by no means im saying this is right or wrong is a bigger league of 18 or 20 ? St Johnstone/St Mirren/Hamilton as an example would they bring a bigger away support to Us/Aberdeen/Ibrox/Celtic right through the league if they knew they only had that one away visit a season or if Rangers/Aberdeen were coming to Easter Road once a season would it be more exciting the expectation knowing you only had them once at home,would St Johnstone fill there own stands for that one home game against Rangers or Celtic other than give the old firm 3 stands each for the home games ? As it stands i can only see the gap becoming even wider and the idea of Celtic winning the treble for the next 3 years isnt that unrealistic.All my own opinion of course and i'll watch us regardless of who we are playing but i would like to see change to the current set up if possible.

weecounty hibby
25-05-2020, 08:24 PM
Let's be honest, Scottish fitba is ****ing ***** apart from around 20ish games a season. I agree with Strachan.
You have just made my point perfectly about talking down our game. Do you think that ***** games of football are unique to Scotland? One if the worst games I have ever seen was Newcastle v Chelsea about 5 years ago. I had hospitality at the game and it was the free booze and food that made it bearable. There was probably £300m worth of players in the pitch and it was dreadful. Our game is not as bad as folk make out. Hibs v Kilmarnock a couple of seasons ago was a great game, the 5-3 game. Was going to also say the 5-5 rangers game but am trying to keep the OF out of it

hibbysam
25-05-2020, 08:24 PM
Suppose it comes down to what your own expectations as a fan are ? If your happy as it is say last 30 years thats fine or if your looking for competition to actually close the gap then changes are required.
My own opinion and by no means im saying this is right or wrong is a bigger league of 18 or 20 ? St Johnstone/St Mirren/Hamilton as an example would they bring a bigger away support to Us/Aberdeen/Ibrox/Celtic right through the league if they knew they only had that one away visit a season or if Rangers/Aberdeen were coming to Easter Road once a season would it be more exciting the expectation knowing you only had them once at home,would St Johnstone fill there own stands for that one home game against Rangers or Celtic other than give the old firm 3 stands each for the home games ? As it stands i can only see the gap becoming even wider and the idea of Celtic winning the treble for the next 3 years isnt that unrealistic.All my own opinion of course and i'll watch us regardless of who we are playing but i would like to see change to the current set up if possible.

Making changes for the better within scotland is absolutely the right way to go. A bigger league with less games against each other is the only way there will be a challenge.

hibbysam
25-05-2020, 08:29 PM
I personally don’t see why we need to be in 2nd div. The pros for me are being able to afford better players to watch at Easter road. Not having to sell players to smaller clubs than us in England.

We aren’t even in the top half of Scotland, never mind the best European teams outwith the top 5 leagues. Your honestly away with the fairies if you think this league is going to bring in all this money. And what are those players going to give us? A mid table finish with no prospect of European football or cup wins within some mental ‘Atlantic league’... chuck 150 years of history away for a fantasy, fair play.

chippy
25-05-2020, 08:41 PM
Such a concept needs to be opposed and fought at every turn

Is that what was said in the 1950s when Hibs were European football pioneers

Hibs4185
25-05-2020, 08:41 PM
Personally I agree with strachan a little bit.

I think we should have

12 in the premiership (full time)
12 in the championship (full time)
20 first division (14 part time and 6 premiership B teams)

Firstly you’d have 24 full time teams which is probably better for a country our size.

Secondly you’d have an interesting division 1 with good experience for the B teams and good attendance for the part time teams with B teams bringing more fans.

Youngsters get good competitions with and division 1 gets a lot more interest.

I know people will shoot down the B team idea but for me it’s an absolute no brainer.

That’s 38 teams in total so 4 would drop out but it’s a more slimline structure with more interest across all 3 leagues.

davhibby
25-05-2020, 08:44 PM

Hate to break it to you but the broadcasters have no interest in anyone outside the OF. From next season there’s going to be something like 10 games that don’t involve Celtic or Rangers on Sky. The people involved in running the BT Scottish production had an interest in the game up here but sadly the money men didn’t, but Sky only have an interest in 4 games

Tommy75
25-05-2020, 08:57 PM

Massive Ross County travelling support? I know money will be the driver in this and that is what will probably motivate those in the boardroom to go along with this type of idea.
That is why I said 'as a fan' because I do not think an Atlantic League would enhance the supporters experience in any way.

The 90+2
25-05-2020, 09:24 PM
Strachan comes across like he knows best and is doing everyone a favour by sharing his opinion. I used to really like him and wanted him as Hibs boss but him returning to Scotland to manage Celtics really changed him.

chippy
25-05-2020, 09:34 PM
Strachan comes across like he knows best and is doing everyone a favour by sharing his opinion. I used to really like him and wanted him as Hibs boss but him returning to Scotland to manage Celtics really changed him.

Ok so you’ve gone off him , but what about his ideas and his knowledge of the game up here?

Eyrie
25-05-2020, 09:45 PM

This and your other responses sum up the appeal of any Atlantic League to me as a Hibs fan.

Eyrie
25-05-2020, 09:53 PM
Personally I agree with strachan a little bit.

I think we should have

12 in the premiership (full time)
12 in the championship (full time)
20 first division (14 part time and 6 premiership B teams)

Firstly you’d have 24 full time teams which is probably better for a country our size.

Secondly you’d have an interesting division 1 with good experience for the B teams and good attendance for the part time teams with B teams bringing more fans.

Youngsters get good competitions with and division 1 gets a lot more interest.

I know people will shoot down the B team idea but for me it’s an absolute no brainer.

That’s 38 teams in total so 4 would drop out but it’s a more slimline structure with more interest across all 3 leagues.
Every suggestion about reconstruction is open to question.

Which clubs get the B teams and the advantages that provides for player development? Could Hibs afford a competitive B team? Would it simply see Celtc and Sevco hoover up more players, weakening the other sides in the top twelve?

I'd go with 12 teams in the top two leagues but think below that it would be better to have two leagues of ten (more chance of winning something) and regionalising may help reduce costs. However I'd listen to the lower league clubs about what works for them.

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 10:17 PM
I think that people like Ron Gordon and the other new American owners in Scotland are here for a reason and I don’t think it’s because they have always loved the club. They see an opportunity. It may not be the opportunity I’ve outlined but I also don’t think they are here just to carry on the way things have always been.
I think change will come soon but I’ve no idea what shape that will be.
People often ask why is Ron Gordon here? I’m certain it’s not the jambo fantasy of turning Easter road into flats. I’m equally certain it’s not for a 25 year stint as a custodian like STF put in with us just bumbling along as always.
If I was to guess, he’s here to add value to his investment. He’s made his money in TV and knows sports broadcasting. I would think that would be how he sees himself adding value.

hibbysam
25-05-2020, 10:53 PM
I think that people like Ron Gordon and the other new American owners in Scotland are here for a reason and I don’t think it’s because they have always loved the club. They see an opportunity. It may not be the opportunity I’ve outlined but I also don’t think they are here just to carry on the way things have always been.
I think change will come soon but I’ve no idea what shape that will be.
People often ask why is Ron Gordon here? I’m certain it’s not the jambo fantasy of turning Easter road into flats. I’m equally certain it’s not for a 25 year stint as a custodian like STF put in with us just bumbling along as always.
If I was to guess, he’s here to add value to his investment. He’s made his money in TV and knows sports broadcasting. I would think that would be how he sees himself adding value.

I’d also be willing to wager a major bet that in my lifetime Hibs will not compete in some form of European league.

Michael
25-05-2020, 11:31 PM
I’d also be willing to wager a major bet that in my lifetime Hibs will not compete in some form of European league.

How can you be so confident? If Scottish clubs are to earn more money and compete with English clubs then this would be the obvious route to achieve it.

Environmental and practical issues would exist - but if the money involved was enough that would be overlooked.

The 90+2
25-05-2020, 11:40 PM
Ok so you’ve gone off him , but what about his ideas and his knowledge of the game up here?

He played and managed the majority of his career down south and has slagged the game off when he can. His ideas would have to be explained further but the only thing I agreed with was the idea of ambitious community clubs coming in and swapping them for clubs who are happy to just be in the leagues - where the money comes for that I’ve no idea.

I don’t think Strachans said he’s in favour of league reconstruction either so at least he’s happy for hearts to stay a championship club 👍

HibernianJK
26-05-2020, 02:26 AM

There’s actually a benefit for finishing bottom in American sports. Or do you want us to introduce a draft to Scottish football?

Hibs4185
26-05-2020, 03:18 AM
Every suggestion about reconstruction is open to question.

Which clubs get the B teams and the advantages that provides for player development? Could Hibs afford a competitive B team? Would it simply see Celtc and Sevco hoover up more players, weakening the other sides in the top twelve?

I'd go with 12 teams in the top two leagues but think below that it would be better to have two leagues of ten (more chance of winning something) and regionalising may help reduce costs. However I'd listen to the lower league clubs about what works for them.

Clubs with an elite academy would get a B team. They have the facilities to provide youngsters with the opportunity.

Would lead to more income for hibs, which would fund the B team. I’ve never been to watch yet development team but I’d def go and watch the B team in big games.

Rangers and celtic may clean up but the B teams couldn’t go higher than league 1. They don’t clean up in the development league so don’t see why that should change with B teams. B teams would be youth players not reserves so it would depend ok how good your youth system is and hibs youth system has always done will compared to rangers and Celtic.

Youth would have competitive, meaningful competition against a decent standard and learn the game in a different setting.

hibbysam
26-05-2020, 06:18 AM
How can you be so confident? If Scottish clubs are to earn more money and compete with English clubs then this would be the obvious route to achieve it.

Environmental and practical issues would exist - but if the money involved was enough that would be overlooked.

What would we be competing with English teams for? We won’t be playing them in Europe, and they’ll have their own league. We would never play an English club so certainly won’t be competing with them. Even if we did happen to sneak into the top 36, we would be nowhere near the top of it and splitting tv money 36 ways, by the time you get to the bottom we’d be making no more than we are today. No excitement, novelty wears off after the first year, back to playing in front of 4/5k as even the diehards wouldn’t fancy it.

Antifa Hibs
26-05-2020, 09:00 AM

What's with the fascination of us having to compete with England anymore than us having to compete with Germany or Italy? Find it very strange. The Milan and Rome clubs now struggle to compete with England. Don't worry about it.

European league is also never happening. And if it does its certainly not going to involve Hibs.

Ozyhibby
26-05-2020, 09:03 AM
What would we be competing with English teams for? We won’t be playing them in Europe, and they’ll have their own league. We would never play an English club so certainly won’t be competing with them. Even if we did happen to sneak into the top 36, we would be nowhere near the top of it and splitting tv money 36 ways, by the time you get to the bottom we’d be making no more than we are today. No excitement, novelty wears off after the first year, back to playing in front of 4/5k as even the diehards wouldn’t fancy it.

A team with the 17th highest average crowds would struggle to break into the top 36?

Ozyhibby
26-05-2020, 09:07 AM
What's with the fascination of us having to compete with England anymore than us having to compete with Germany or Italy? Find it very strange. The Milan and Rome clubs now struggle to compete with England. Don't worry about it.

European league is also never happening. And if it does its certainly not going to involve Hibs.

It’s about being able to put better players on the pitch at Easter road. Right now we are competing with League 1 and 2 clubs for players. It means the standard of football we are watching is not as good as if we do something like this. It means maybe not having to sell players like McGinn to the Championship in England.

Jones28
26-05-2020, 09:37 AM

Of course we’re competing with England, not the premier league or even the championship, but we are definitely competing with leagues 1 and 2 for players.

hibbysam
26-05-2020, 10:21 AM
A team with the 17th highest average crowds would struggle to break into the top 36?

17th highest based on countries that you have chosen. Our attendances will be nowhere near what they are now if we went down this route, plain and simple. Our attendances are what they are now because of our Scottish cup win, the route you want to go down we would never have that opportunity again.

Better players for what? I want to watch competitive football, with the prize of getting into Europe, improving and competing for cups. This route takes us into a dead end league that we would never win, players won’t be falling over themselves to play in that. You think this will allow us to compete with the likes of Villa? You seriously think our top wage earners will increase 6/7x? Mental.

Keith_M
26-05-2020, 10:24 AM
Of course we’re competing with England, not the premier league or even the championship, but we are definitely competing with leagues 1 and 2 for players.

As they're our neighbours, there is a need to be able to compete for players, at least with the lower league clubs.

The leagues in Germany, Spain, etc don't currently sign vast numbers of Scottish players but the English leagues do.

There might also be some reasonably good players in England that we would like to be able to sign but just can't afford to, because the likes of Northampton or Plymouth Argyle can offer them much higher wages.

chippy
26-05-2020, 10:29 AM
17th highest based on countries that you have chosen. Our attendances will be nowhere near what they are now if we went down this route, plain and simple. Our attendances are what they are now because of our Scottish cup win, the route you want to go down we would never have that opportunity again.

Better players for what? I want to watch competitive football, with the prize of getting into Europe, improving and competing for cups. This route takes us into a dead end league that we would never win, players won’t be falling over themselves to play in that. You think this will allow us to compete with the likes of Villa? You seriously think our top wage earners will increase 6/7x? Mental.

Don’t worry , when a version of the Atlantic league comes along as it must. If Hibs are fortunate enough to get a place in it then Hibs B team will still be in the Scottish cup

Jones28
26-05-2020, 10:34 AM
As they're our neighbours, there is a need to be able to compete for players, at least with the lower league clubs.

The leagues in Germany, Spain, etc don't currently sign vast numbers of Scottish players but the English leagues do.

There might also be some reasonably good players in England that we would like to be able to sign but just can't afford to, because the likes of Northampton or Plymouth Argyle can offer them much higher wages.

Exactly.

German teams will have more Austrian and polish players than elsewhere for the same reasons.

JimBHibees
26-05-2020, 10:46 AM

The American soccer league has loads of artificial pitches.

JimBHibees
26-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Don’t worry , when a version of the Atlantic league comes along as it must. If Hibs are fortunate enough to get a place in it then Hibs B team will still be in the Scottish cup

Sounds appalling imo. Scottish football strength is the passion of the fans and the rivalry got to said can't see any excitement at all with a European league, a midweek game v Odense or whatever yippee.

Ozyhibby
26-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Sounds appalling imo. Scottish football strength is the passion of the fans and the rivalry got to said can't see any excitement at all with a European league, a midweek game v Odense or whatever yippee.

No worse than a midweek game v Ross County.

chippy
26-05-2020, 11:13 AM

Odense would probably bring more fans

hibbysam
26-05-2020, 11:13 AM

In your opinion. It is far worse in mine. End of any competitive football for the sake of ‘a better quality of player’. I should probably just toddle off along the M8 and watch rangers and Celtic week in week out and competing against teams in Europe if that’s the be all and end all. Thankfully it’s not, and our history and traditions within Scottish football mean more than chasing a fantasy somewhere in Europe.

Would you accept us ground sharing at Straiton with Hearts if it meant a couple of extra million a year in the bank? Since it’s all about extra revenue and better players I presume you would.

Ozyhibby
26-05-2020, 11:49 AM
In your opinion. It is far worse in mine. End of any competitive football for the sake of ‘a better quality of player’. I should probably just toddle off along the M8 and watch rangers and Celtic week in week out and competing against teams in Europe if that’s the be all and end all. Thankfully it’s not, and our history and traditions within Scottish football mean more than chasing a fantasy somewhere in Europe.

Would you accept us ground sharing at Straiton with Hearts if it meant a couple of extra million a year in the bank? Since it’s all about extra revenue and better players I presume you would.

End of any competitive football? When did we last compete for the league here?[emoji23]

hibbysam
26-05-2020, 12:00 PM
End of any competitive football? When did we last compete for the league here?[emoji23]

It’s not about winning the league though, it’s the competitiveness of the league, the battling relegation, the fight for the top 6, challenging for Europe, winning trophies, trips to hampden, away days with the boys. Every single aspect of that would be gone. You have your fantasy, I’ll have my reality. Give me Ross county v Livingston over Newcastle v Chelsea any day of the week.

davhibby
26-05-2020, 03:04 PM
There’s some quite amazing levels of ignorance towards what being a football fan is here. The readiness to just throw clubs that aren’t deemed good/big enough in the bin shows no understanding of supporting a club at all. A quick read of the Mercer thread on here should be used a reminder of how we all feel about Hibs and that most of these ideas in this thread would cause thousands of fans of other teams in this country to lose the club that they love.

Ozyhibby
26-05-2020, 03:20 PM
There’s some quite amazing levels of ignorance towards what being a football fan is here. The readiness to just throw clubs that aren’t deemed good/big enough in the bin shows no understanding of supporting a club at all. A quick read of the Mercer thread on here should be used a reminder of how we all feel about Hibs and that most of these ideas in this thread would cause thousands of fans of other teams in this country to lose the club that they love.

I don’t think any club is being thrown in the bin?

hibbysam
26-05-2020, 05:04 PM

100%! Rangers Celtic hibs Aberdeen hearts all leaving the Scottish game would kill it, would kill plenty of clubs. Same as wanting to end relegation, stopping your ambitious smaller clubs the chance of the big time is incredible also. I’m sure we would all have been delighted had we ended promotion any of the seasons we were down.

davhibby
26-05-2020, 05:57 PM
I don’t think any club is being thrown in the bin?

You seriously don’t think that excluding clubs based on fanbase and stadium size etc wouldn’t result in the majority of current Championship/League 1 clubs going bust? Likewise if the top 6 sauntered off to some Atlantic league, the Scottish league would reduce to the level of Wales/NI and lose a fair few clubs in the process.

Michael
26-05-2020, 06:40 PM
Sweden: 10m
Norway: 5m
Denmark: 5m
Holland: 17m
Belgium: 11m
Scotland: 5m

Total audience: 53m

Now we have an audience that is comparable to England and we can create a much more lucrative TV deal.

I think a lot of people would be interested in buying a season ticket that lets you see a match every other week against a medium-large European club or one of our bigger domestic rivals.

I get it's not for everyone, but I think it is inevitable.

we are hibs
26-05-2020, 06:43 PM

Lower league club supporters are mostly against having colt sides in their leagues too. But some people seem to want that forced upon them.

Dashing Bob S
26-05-2020, 06:55 PM
As finances dictate Celtic are guaranteed the flag every year, no relegation would be a positive step to killing the domestic game stone head.

chippy
26-05-2020, 07:58 PM
As finances dictate Celtic are guaranteed the flag every year, no relegation would be a positive step to killing the domestic game stone head.

Exactly , the key competition in the Premier is in 11 clubs avoiding relegation. That’ll keep everyone happy then. The ideas being expressed around Euro/ Atlantic leagues and having an elite National league for fully professional clubs with no relegation are simply trying to find some longer term solutions to the problems of our game. The football and sporting world is undergoing massive change and the pandemic is just going to speed up these processes. Sure it’s a big shift no relegation but promoters of the idea suggest increased investment opportunities, enhanced youth development among others. I feel Scotland really needs to look at all the possibilities and the risks if we do nothing and just stay still. Dave Cormack predicts cross border leagues within 10 years. His point being clubs play with other clubs around their level. Meaning the likes of Hibs and Aberdeen matched with clubs our size. Similar arguments used by Strachan and Daryll Broadfoot re an elite league and semi pro league here.

Pretty Boy
26-05-2020, 08:01 PM
A European league has been 'about to happen' for at least 20 years now. The Atlantic League has been revisited several times in that time, it's the same core of teams that are receptive every time and it falls down for the same reasons every time.

If any European league does happen it will be among the teams who already dominate now and will likely take the form of some closed shop Champions League set up. The clubs that dominate the current CL format aren't renowned for welcoming increased competition so will put pressure on UEFA to make a Euro league of smaller teams difficult. I'm not sure there is any real demand for it anyway either among fans or TV companies; if the latter were keen it would have happened.

Ozyhibby
27-05-2020, 12:05 AM
A European league has been 'about to happen' for at least 20 years now. The Atlantic League has been revisited several times in that time, it's the same core of teams that are receptive every time and it falls down for the same reasons every time.

If any European league does happen it will be among the teams who already dominate now and will likely take the form of some closed shop Champions League set up. The clubs that dominate the current CL format aren't renowned for welcoming increased competition so will put pressure on UEFA to make a Euro league of smaller teams difficult. I'm not sure there is any real demand for it anyway either among fans or TV companies; if the latter were keen it would have happened.

I’m certain TV companies would be interested in an Atlantic league. It has failed previously because of opposition at Uefa to cross border leagues but that has dropped a lot recently.
Financially it would be great for every club involved, that’s why the idea never goes away.
Not saying it’s about to happen but it def could.
We know that clubs in all these countries are becoming frustrated at losing their best players.
They may just accept that and carry on but I personally don’t think so. I just hope Hibs are smart enough to be involved if/when it happens.