PDA

View Full Version : Dunfermline release 17 players due to Covid19

BlackSheep
22-05-2020, 01:20 PM
What it says on the tin... I’m betting Nisbet isn’t one of them though!

TamHibs
22-05-2020, 01:23 PM
It’s the 17 players who are out of contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoxburghHibs
22-05-2020, 01:42 PM
What it says on the tin... I’m betting Nisbet isn’t one of them though!

Does he have one year left on his contract?

Vault Boy
22-05-2020, 02:01 PM
Does he have one year left on his contract?

Yep

calumhibee1
22-05-2020, 02:04 PM
Remember Fraser wishart on sportsound saying he hoped clubs would keep these players on so they could get furlough for a few months. Must be a reason why this has happened

04Sauzee
22-05-2020, 02:12 PM
Wonder how many contracted players Dunfermline have?

Peevemor
22-05-2020, 02:15 PM
Remember Fraser wishart on sportsound saying he hoped clubs would keep these players on so they could get furlough for a few months. Must be a reason why this has happenedSorry if it's been discussed elsewhere, but are employers permitted to renew temporary contracts to keep people on furlough?

Tyler Durden
22-05-2020, 02:18 PM
Remember Fraser wishart on sportsound saying he hoped clubs would keep these players on so they could get furlough for a few months. Must be a reason why this has happened

I think clubs will simply see that as unethical and I’d agree with them

Edit - to clarify I mean the scenario that Richard Foster of Ross County mentioned where players could be re-signed for 2-3 months just to basically wait and see what happens.

calumhibee1
22-05-2020, 02:20 PM
Sorry if it's been discussed elsewhere, but are employers permitted to renew temporary contracts to keep people on furlough?

Possibly not and could be the reason they have been released. Would like to think the PFA were aware of that so they could inform players

Blaster
22-05-2020, 02:30 PM
Possibly not and could be the reason they have been released. Would like to think the PFA were aware of that so they could inform players

The Ross County owner said on his Q&A that extending someone’s contract who they have no intention of keeping goes against the spirit of the furlough scheme and he won’t be doing it.

Frazerbob
22-05-2020, 02:36 PM
https://twitter.com/Amy__Macdonald/status/1263835954667806726?s=19

sean04
22-05-2020, 02:36 PM
Bet they wish they had accepted the bids for Nesbit in January

Blaster
22-05-2020, 02:40 PM
https://twitter.com/Amy__Macdonald/status/1263835954667806726?s=19

She misses the point of furlough. It is meant for employers who intend to retain the staff going forward. If you don’t intend giving players a new contract you should not be extending them temporarily to get furlough money

Frazerbob
22-05-2020, 02:42 PM
She misses the point of furlough. It is meant for employers who intend to retain the staff going forward. If you don’t intend giving players a new contract you should not be extending them temporarily to get furlough money

I rehired someone, who hadn’t started his new job, to put him on furlough. Had I not, his family would’ve been using food banks by now.

Blaster
22-05-2020, 02:47 PM
I rehired someone, who hadn’t started his new job, to put him on furlough. Had I not, his family would’ve been using food banks by now.

And I’ve no doubt many employers have done that. I’m not saying I disagree with that happening but it’s not what furlough was really meant for. Fair play to you for doing that 👍

Tyler Durden
22-05-2020, 02:50 PM

I may well have done the same in your situation and I’m sure there will be a lot of similar stories out there.

However football teams can’t be doing that IMO. Even the likes of Dunfermline have a public profile and it would be pretty transparent that they were basically abusing the system.

Unfortunately lots of young/lower league footballers could end up on the dole or looking for alternative work. Teams extending contracts for a few months isn’t going to change that.

Brightside
22-05-2020, 02:53 PM
Sorry if it's been discussed elsewhere, but are employers permitted to renew temporary contracts to keep people on furlough?

Yes.

Brightside
22-05-2020, 02:58 PM

Yep. As have loads of companies. It’s the right thing to do. Some of these players will be on buttons. Forster I’m not fussed about as he’s had years to build up a nest egg and he will still have a decent household income.

Pretty Boy
22-05-2020, 03:02 PM

I get there is an ethical question about misusing furlough. At the same time I wouldn't be overly upset if guys at that level of football had a bit security for a couple of months whilst they tried to sort out something else for themselves, whether that be inside or outside football.

It might be morally dubious to do that I suppose, however it may allow a player to remain in the game as the situation develops and clubs have more clarity on how football is likely to be played in the coming months.

Frazerbob
22-05-2020, 03:03 PM
Yep. As have loads of companies. It’s the right thing to do. Some of these players will be on buttons. Forster I’m not fussed about as he’s had years to build up a nest egg and he will still have a decent household income.

Aye, his missus is minted lol

MWHIBBIES
22-05-2020, 03:41 PM

They released their captain. No way they planned on releasing 17 players, this is hugely driven by the crisis.

Rumble de Thump
22-05-2020, 03:51 PM
Out of contract players will be able to apply for financial support through Universal Credit and they will get it if they need it.

Billy Whizz
22-05-2020, 05:06 PM
Unfortunately this is only the start of players getting released and not being offered a new contract

CraigHibee
22-05-2020, 05:25 PM
I think there could potentially be a few gems around to pick up over the summer

Brooster
22-05-2020, 06:03 PM
And I’ve no doubt many employers have done that. I’m not saying I disagree with that happening but it’s not what furlough was really meant for. Fair play to you for doing that 👍

Spot on. The SPFL advised Dunfermline against furlough as it is a misuse of public funds keeping someone on for 3 months who will never play for the club. I agree with the SPFL.

Since452
22-05-2020, 06:22 PM
That's an expensive half million odd they turned down from us and United

Centre Hawf
22-05-2020, 10:27 PM
If it was possible they should have kept them on for 2-3 months and kept them on furlough. These guys are human beings who have all just lost their job in the middle of a pandemic and will either not get a club for a while or not find another job until then easily.

I'm not sure if this was Sports Direct or similar doing this to their people some folk would be as kind to them.

Brightside
22-05-2020, 10:39 PM
Aye, his missus is minted lol

She’s not minted but they have a decent income. These boys at Dunfermline will have nothing.

Brightside
22-05-2020, 10:40 PM
Spot on. The SPFL advised Dunfermline against furlough as it is a misuse of public funds keeping someone on for 3 months who will never play for the club. I agree with the SPFL.

Other clubs are doing it.

marinello59
23-05-2020, 05:51 AM

They are employees who may or may not have been kept on if the Pandemeic had not happened. I think the SPFL advice is wrong. There are thousands of employees being paid by firms who will already know that there will be no position remaining for them after lock down.
I think there may be a problem for clubs though when they have to start paying a portion of the furloughed wages from August 1st. I don’t think it has been clarified yet what that percentage will be.

Frazerbob
23-05-2020, 06:00 AM
She’s not minted but they have a decent income. These boys at Dunfermline will have nothing.

Net worth of around £9m.

My comment wasn’t a criticism, I’m a huge fan of hers and I think it’s great that Forster is championing the ‘little man’ (for want if a better phrase). He’s clearly not going to be struggling to put food on the table but plenty of his fellow lower league players might if released.

Brooster
23-05-2020, 07:51 AM

I'm only passing on what Dunfermline were told. What other clubs are doing it? I've not really been paying much attention.

Waxy
23-05-2020, 09:40 AM
So it isnt due to covid19.
Its Dunfermline release 17 players who were out of contract.

Speedy
23-05-2020, 10:18 AM

Doesn't mean it is right.

Also an argument there should be a support system in place regardless of furlough.

The Modfather
23-05-2020, 10:29 AM
Difficult not to feel sorry for Dunfermline over Nisbet. Rejected big money bids in January to try and get into the playoffs. Probably with the view that they could still sell him in the summer for good money. Now they will likely lose him for free. If they had sold him could have been the difference In securing their short - mid term future, but impossible to predict what was to come.

Billy Whizz
23-05-2020, 10:31 AM
Doesn't mean it is right.

Also an argument there should be a support system in place regardless of furlough.

I agree, however they must have received advice saying this was the way to go
Could have kept them on, then the government comeback to the clubs asking for the money back

where'stheslope
23-05-2020, 10:32 AM
If clubs like Dunfermline are releasing 17 players to cut costs, the writing is on the wall, clubs in the Scottish pyramid system are going to fold if they don't make drastic changes!!!
We deferred our players wages to help keep costs down, these need to be paid back when play begins, if its to empty stadiums it could be costly to our clubs coffers.
Blaming everything on Coronavirus is maybe right, but it goes to show just how fragile most of our professional teams were before it started.
Most were living week to week on gate monies, and that's why closed door games will be the deathnell to a lot of smaller clubs!!!

Billy Whizz
23-05-2020, 10:33 AM
If clubs like Dunfermline are releasing 17 players to cut costs, the writing is on the wall, clubs in the Scottish pyramid system are going to fold if they don't make drastic changes!!!
We deferred our players wages to help keep costs down, these need to be paid back when play begins, if its to empty stadiums it could be costly to our clubs coffers.
Blaming everything on Coronavirus is maybe right, but it goes to show just how fragile most of our professional teams were before it started.
Most were living week to week on gate monies, and that's why closed door games will be the deathnell to a lot of smaller clubs!!!

They’ve cut the costs to survive, as and when their league starts, there will be loads of players they can sign
They are lucky they have so many out of contract

Brightside
23-05-2020, 10:42 AM
I'm only passing on what Dunfermline were told. What other clubs are doing it? I've not really been paying much attention.

Ayr Utd have done it.

Billy Whizz
23-05-2020, 10:42 AM
Ayr Utd have done it.

Just reading that, for another month

where'stheslope
23-05-2020, 10:43 AM
They’ve cut the costs to survive, as and when their league starts, there will be loads of players they can sign
They are lucky they have so many out of contract
Yes they can sign up out of contract players, but if playing closed door games there's no money to pay them????

Billy Whizz
23-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Yes they can sign up out of contract players, but if playing closed door games there's no money to pay them????

Unless they can sell some games via Pars TV

Frazerbob
23-05-2020, 11:27 AM
With businesses expected to pick up 25% of salaries for those on furlough after July, redundancies in all walks of life will be common place.

Brooster
23-05-2020, 04:17 PM
Difficult not to feel sorry for Dunfermline over Nisbet. Rejected big money bids in January to try and get into the playoffs. Probably with the view that they could still sell him in the summer for good money. Now they will likely lose him for free. If they had sold him could have been the difference In securing their short - mid term future, but impossible to predict what was to come.

It could be argued that Dunfermline kept him to avoid the relegation play offs. He still has time left on his contract therefore I doubt he will leave for free.

Iggy Pope
23-05-2020, 04:23 PM
Net worth of around £9m.

My comment wasn’t a criticism, I’m a huge fan of hers and I think it’s great that Forster is championing the ‘little man’ (for want if a better phrase). He’s clearly not going to be struggling to put food on the table but plenty of his fellow lower league players might if released.

I’d call that minted by the way.

mjhibby
23-05-2020, 06:44 PM
Qos releasing 16 players. This is getting quite scary now. How the he’ll can they play games say September. They will require a complete new squad. The lower division standard will drop dramatically. This very worrying for our game.

James Stephen
23-05-2020, 07:10 PM
Surely all of these players will still want to play, and clubs will still need players, so it will be a case of them getting new contracts (at new or existing clubs) on much lower wages?

04Sauzee
23-05-2020, 07:11 PM
Surely all of these players will still want to play, and clubs will still need players, so it will be a case of them getting new contracts (at new or existing clubs) on much lower wages?

Problem being if most clubs are in the same boat, smaller squad as well, maybe looking at part time wages?

hibbyfraelibby
23-05-2020, 07:27 PM
So it isnt due to covid19.
Its Dunfermline release 17 players who were out of contract.

Correct. It's maybe a tad on the high side but that sort of clear out happens every summer all over Scottish football.. Normally these guys in the main would land up on the merry go round, some would retire and some would start delivering for Amazon.

Keith_M
23-05-2020, 07:35 PM
It's quite logical that clubs will be choosing not to renew players contracts, in order to survive.

Once they have some clarification of when they can expect to start playing again, I'd imagine they'll increase the size of their squads accordingly.

I can see quite a few lower paid players lost to the game, though, as they might have to take up other offers of employment just to make ends meet.

where'stheslope
24-05-2020, 11:02 AM
It's quite logical that clubs will be choosing not to renew players contracts, in order to survive.

Once they have some clarification of when they can expect to start playing again, I'd imagine they'll increase the size of their squads accordingly.

I can see quite a few lower paid players lost to the game, though, as they might have to take up other offers of employment just to make ends meet.
I can also see a lot of high paid players being out of work till clubs get back on track with money coming in.
With the culling of squads, more players will be asked to go part-time or take a massive wage cut with no signing on fee when they try to get back to football!!!

James Stephen
24-05-2020, 11:06 AM
Problem being if most clubs are in the same boat, smaller squad as well, maybe looking at part time wages?

Maybr, or just same numbers of players on much reduced wages?

There will definitely be a retraction of some sort, but i cant imagine most championship clubs going part time?

easty
24-05-2020, 11:19 AM

These players won’t make enough money from football that they can retire at the end of their playing career, maybe this is an opportunity for some to start thinking about that now? They can always come back to football as soon as an opportunity arises.

Hibby Kay-Yay
24-05-2020, 11:19 AM
Could be the time for youth to shine post COVID19

hibee-boys
24-05-2020, 12:02 PM
These players won’t make enough money from football that they can retire at the end of their playing career, maybe this is an opportunity for some to start thinking about that now? They can always come back to football as soon as an opportunity arises.

You would hope that any young footballer, or any player not destined to make a fortune from football, would use their time out of football to upskill or educate themselves to prepare for life after football. Football is one of the few full time jobs that grants you sufficient free time to commit toward this, my guess is that not use that free time as wisely as they could......might be wrong.

et_hibby
24-05-2020, 01:18 PM
You would hope that any young footballer, or any player not destined to make a fortune from football, would use their time out of football to upskill or educate themselves to prepare for life after football. Football is one of the few full time jobs that grants you sufficient free time to commit toward this, my guess is that not use that free time as wisely as they could......might be wrong.
Tattooists/body piercers do reap the benefits though.

Just_Jimmy
24-05-2020, 02:41 PM
Hopefully this crisis will bring football globally back in line with the real world.

It was getting to the point it was going up up up with absolutely no check on it.

Southampton now talking about being in bother so it's not just Scottish clubs.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

eezyrider
24-05-2020, 04:09 PM
Out of contract players will be able to apply for financial support through Universal Credit and they will get it if they need it.

No they won't. They will get it they qualify for it - there's a massive difference.

EZ

Eyrie
24-05-2020, 04:19 PM
No they won't. They will get it they qualify for it - there's a massive difference.

EZ

There will also be a large difference in how much they get.

Canon Hannan
24-05-2020, 07:40 PM
Could be the time for youth to shine post COVID19

I think many players will drop down the leagues and prevent youth players getting a chance for a while. Loanee's will not be needed due to experienced players filling the places lower down.

Rumble de Thump
24-05-2020, 08:32 PM

EZ

If they need it they will qualify for it.

lord bunberry
24-05-2020, 08:38 PM

:agree: Pretty much every player in the lower leagues who are out of contract will be released. When football restarts players will be signed back up. It’s not a sign of the apocalypse.

eezyrider
25-05-2020, 03:11 AM

No they won't, Universal Credit isn't based in need.

EZ

Ozyhibby
25-05-2020, 05:58 AM

I don’t think they will get it if they own their home? Pretty sure if you own assets you are meant to sell them first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
25-05-2020, 08:13 AM
Sorry if already been discussed..

So Hibs deferred players wages? ...so all players will get the normal salary they are due in the future - say they resume training in August (when we can also sign new players if needed) ? That’s going to be a pretty large sum of money ?

Some Scottish clubs have furloughed players and will use the government money to help ? Does anyone know which clubs have done this ? Kilmarnock / Motherwell for example. Will that give them an unfair advantage as they have saved paying players ?

I know the top English clubs were in the news as they are paid crazy money and morally it didn’t sit well.

I assume most staff are all furloughed - though LD still attending meetings so must be taking a full wage?

Community foundation staff seem to be still working going by online posts.

Keith_M
25-05-2020, 10:45 AM

Some Scottish clubs have furloughed players and will use the government money to help ? Does anyone know which clubs have done this ? Kilmarnock / Motherwell for example. Will that give them an unfair advantage as they have saved paying players ?

I think the max amount for furloughed staff is 2,500 per month, so I'd imagine it wouldn't be a particularly high amount they'll be receiving from the government.

Their budgets are already much lower than Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs, so I don't think it would give an advantage against those three clubs.

Obviously all just guess work, of course, as we don't know the exact details of the amounts saved.

where'stheslope
25-05-2020, 01:47 PM
Just looked at this on the BBC website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52789470
It does not make good reading, I feel a large amount of players will be looking for alternative employment in the near future.
If teams need to prepare for the league starting whenever, I feel most will have skeleton staff of players and have to use academy players to cover for injuries and discipline.
If the papers are right this morning, this season it may only be one league???