PDA

View Full Version : Next season's League Cup set to be scrapped?

G B Young
22-05-2020, 11:22 AM
Doncaster says smaller clubs unlikely to be able to afford to play it behind closed doors:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-doncaster-admits-betfred-cup-22064193

04Sauzee
22-05-2020, 11:26 AM
59 years in a row

chippy
22-05-2020, 11:33 AM
59 years in a row

Time for radical change. Make the spfl only for full time clubs, no plastic pitches . Minimum no of full time players( no loanees counted). Stadia criteria. Structure the leagues relative to no of full time clubs. Have the league cup for the full time clubs behind closed doors

The 90+2
22-05-2020, 12:01 PM
Time for radical change. Make the spfl only for full time clubs, no plastic pitches . Minimum no of full time players( no loanees counted). Stadia criteria. Structure the leagues relative to no of full time clubs. Have the league cup for the full time clubs behind closed doors

How are the clubs with plastic pitches going to afford to dig up their pitches and replace them with grass, employ grounds men to work on them and then people will complain when games are called off.

greenpaper55
22-05-2020, 12:25 PM
I see the Peterhead boss wants league 1 and 2 scrapped next season if fans are unable to attend ! Seems a bit extreme but i can see why he would suggest it as teams down there could mothball themselves for a season. He said they only have 4 players right now and i assume that's part time contracts so instead of signing more players and having to pay them and no fans at the game it makes sense to shut things down.

Hibee_Dave
22-05-2020, 12:25 PM
Scrap the LC in England and Scotland and replace it next year with a ‘Thank you NHS’ cross border competition. Lower league teams might be able to sell more tickets if it’s a ‘foreign’ team rather than the usual? It would also bring some relevance and interest to a competition that in both countries is just a bit of an unnecessary headache.

danhibees1875
22-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Scrap the LC in England and Scotland and replace it next year with a ‘Thank you NHS’ cross border competition. Lower league teams might be able to sell more tickets if it’s a ‘foreign’ team rather than the usual? It would also bring some relevance and interest to a competition that in both countries is just a bit of an unnecessary headache.

I like that idea. :agree:

Even if they just made it optional so only teams who felt it would be viable entered.

The_Exile
22-05-2020, 12:41 PM
......and seed it, make the top seeds all at home, guarantee the smaller clubs a big away day with more money than they could generate in a normal cup tie.

Waxy
22-05-2020, 12:42 PM

Your Kidding?

Waxy
22-05-2020, 12:43 PM

Like it.

SquashedFrogg
22-05-2020, 12:48 PM

So a closed set of pro leagues? Sounds dull.

mjhibby
22-05-2020, 01:02 PM
I see the Peterhead boss wants league 1 and 2 scrapped next season if fans are unable to attend ! Seems a bit extreme but i can see why he would suggest it as teams down there could mothball themselves for a season. He said they only have 4 players right now and i assume that's part time contracts so instead of signing more players and having to pay them and no fans at the game it makes sense to shut things down.

Unless the govt funds the shutdown of football then they might as well shut down leagues 1 and 2. All this nonsense from hertz has sidetracked the chilling reality of the crisis the game faces. Very easy to say football can be shut down for months and months but it will not survive without a bailout. Not scaremongering just the way it is.

mjhibby
22-05-2020, 01:05 PM
I’m sure they could play the league cup with a straight knockout competition. If the lower leagues are not back playing by october then there will be massive issue for them. The quicker everybdy concerned realises the earlier we can somehow navigate our way through it. Just constantly making statements won’t help anybody.

G B Young
22-05-2020, 01:06 PM

I've long been in favour of more cross-border matches but in the midst of a pandemic where we're all being urged to travel as little as possible there's no way something like would be introduced even when we eventually get to a stage where some fans are allowed into games.

Waxy
22-05-2020, 01:10 PM
Play it as a straight knockout in the second half of the season.
Have a feeling we’ll be playing into June next season.

ScottB
22-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Play it as a straight knockout in the second half of the season.
Have a feeling we’ll be playing into June next season.

Doubtful if the Euros goes ahead. More likely next season gets cut short too.

Brightside
22-05-2020, 01:54 PM
It’s been a pointless tournament for years. I’d much rather we put a wee UK tournament together.

Ozyhibby
22-05-2020, 02:11 PM
So a closed set of pro leagues? Sounds dull.

It’s not. It happens in lots of other sports and it’s anything but dull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
22-05-2020, 02:12 PM
It’s been a pointless tournament for years. I’d much rather we put a wee UK tournament together.

There is zero appetite in England for that.

James Stephen
22-05-2020, 02:13 PM

Never understood this argument.

Football is about winning trophies, and this is 1 of only 2 trophies available to us (realistically).

Ozyhibby
22-05-2020, 02:14 PM
If the worst predictions on the damage from CV19 come about then it’s likely that we will end up in some sort of cross border league in order to save what clubs remain. Whether that is with England or further afield, I don’t know.

Pagan Hibernia
22-05-2020, 02:17 PM

Nonsense. It’s a trophy we have a chance of winning. Why would anyone give that up?

Waxy
22-05-2020, 02:21 PM
If the worst predictions on the damage from CV19 come about then it’s likely that we will end up in some sort of cross border league in order to save what clubs remain. Whether that is with England or further afield, I don’t know.

Best case scenario is we could be back playing in front of crowds buy Late summer/autumn. Guess there’s no point in guessing yet.

chippy
22-05-2020, 02:29 PM
Nonsense. It’s a trophy we have a chance of winning. Why would anyone give that up?

Just have it for the full time clubs with enough players- one off games won’t take long

davhibby
22-05-2020, 06:50 PM

Hello Ann.

ancient hibee
22-05-2020, 07:11 PM

Yep this is definitely the time to make things more difficult.

JammyDoidger
22-05-2020, 07:23 PM
Doncaster says smaller clubs unlikely to be able to afford to play it behind closed doors:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-doncaster-admits-betfred-cup-22064193

smaller clubs don't win it anyway, just put us and Celtic in the final:rolleyes:

inglisavhibs
23-05-2020, 03:02 PM
Unless the govt funds the shutdown of football then they might as well shut down leagues 1 and 2. All this nonsense from hertz has sidetracked the chilling reality of the crisis the game faces. Very easy to say football can be shut down for months and months but it will not survive without a bailout. Not scaremongering just the way it is.
Maxwell saying football in Scotland likely come August. Pretty sure Peterhead and others could get 500 fans in to their ground safely, much easier than it is for Hibs and other bigger clubs. If the number of virus cases continues to drop in Scotland, a lot of business’s including football will be re-started. The alternative is a much bigger problem with unemployment, mental health issues etc.

whiskyhibby
23-05-2020, 03:32 PM

I like the sound of that

Greencore
24-05-2020, 07:18 PM
You're talking too much sense, will never happen.

blackpoolhibs
24-05-2020, 07:26 PM
Just have it for the full time clubs with enough players- one off games won’t take long

I'd just have it for Premiership clubs, that's you and your team knackered.

04Sauzee
24-05-2020, 08:18 PM
59 in a row

Waxy
24-05-2020, 08:34 PM

How about no promotion next season to protect the current top 12?
Plus the hearts could look after all the championship clubs with Benny Factor, Foh and the other 400,000 numbskulls?

jacomo
24-05-2020, 09:13 PM

Bin Hearts, you mean?

:faf:

Joe6-2
24-05-2020, 09:35 PM
I'd just have it for Premiership clubs, that's you and your team knackered.

👍

Waxy
24-05-2020, 09:57 PM
Chippy is Ann Budge.

The 90+2
24-05-2020, 10:05 PM
Chippy is Ann Budge.

That would be crispy, surely?

jacomo
24-05-2020, 10:07 PM
Chippy is Ann Budge.

There will be chips!

Waxy
24-05-2020, 10:15 PM
It all adds up guys.
Chips will be served.Reconstruct at any cost, stuff the wee teams etc.

Centre Hawf
24-05-2020, 10:58 PM

I do think change is needed but I certainly wouldn't gate keep the league behind a financial criteria such as being able to afford Full-Time status. Team like Alloa etc have had great seasons in the Championship and provided us with tough fixtures in our spell there and it would be a shame to just get rid of them from the set up and would just limit the already fairly limited pool of teams we currently have, or worse cause those clubs to go bust with their attempts to meet the criteria just to enjoy their success of being promoted and keep teams who finish bottom in a division safe just due to their financial status.

monktonharp
24-05-2020, 11:13 PM
Like it.bolt

tamig
25-05-2020, 12:23 AM
I do think change is needed but I certainly wouldn't gate keep the league behind a financial criteria such as being able to afford Full-Time status. Team like Alloa etc have had great seasons in the Championship and provided us with tough fixtures in our spell there and it would be a shame to just get rid of them from the set up and would just limit the already fairly limited pool of teams we currently have, or worse cause those clubs to go bust with their attempts to meet the criteria just to enjoy their success of being promoted and keep teams who finish bottom in a division safe just due to their financial status.

Its a ridiculous suggestion. As you say, why should clubs suffer because they choose to operate part-time? The whole thing reeks of hertzness.

HendoDelivered
25-05-2020, 12:51 AM
I preferred the old league cup set up. Think the changed it the season after we lost to County in the final? I think that set up was a bit better.