PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen team , the Fergie years

highland hibbee
21-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Watching this on iPlayer and had forgotten just how formidable a team they were.
Great to watch the ugly sisters getting bossed in Cup Finals and League deciders.
However at around 1hour 20 minutes, the pick of the bunch. When Fergies teams luck runs out, the 1986 Cup Final. Against the Famous. Who are just about to wrap up League and Cup double glory. Hang on, there must be something wrong with my set, this is not history as Medals Mackay would have us believe.......

EI255
21-05-2020, 03:35 PM
Remember Hibs played them in 1984(?), first game of the season. Dons were awesome back then and massive favourites to beat us. No chance. Willie Irvine (the first one and my hero back then) delivered a deadly double to sink them.

Also recall watching Meadowbank play the Fergies team around 1984 at Meadowbank in the league Cup. Think Dons won 4-1 (?) Some team back then. Bankies did well though.

Good Times

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

hibeg
21-05-2020, 05:46 PM
I know this is an age thing. Can anyone remember Pittodrie mid/ late 70s when the game was abandoned/ delayed due to fog ? In those days we were behind the goals ( at the far side) and I have had a big disagreement with a mate who said it never happened. I’m adamant he was there and on the pitch with me.
For younger readers you have to realise these were the days when you left about 9am on the supporters buses with enough bevvy to last a weekend. 😀😀

Kato
21-05-2020, 05:53 PM
I know this is an age thing. Can anyone remember Pittodrie mid/ late 70s when the game was abandoned/ delayed due to fog ? In those days we were behind the goals ( at the far side) and I have had a big disagreement with a mate who said it never happened. I’m adamant he was there and on the pitch with me.
For younger readers you have to realise these were the days when you left about 9am on the supporters buses with enough bevvy to last a weekend. [emoji3][emoji3]Totally remember that.

Was it abandoned, I thought they just played on?

We were down the front behind the goal and could just see beyond the 18 yard line. Ball came from nowhere for an Aberdeen goal.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Since452
21-05-2020, 06:07 PM
Talking about Aberdeen, their new kits look horrendous

Killiehibbie
21-05-2020, 08:56 PM
Remember Hibs played them in 1984(?), first game of the season. Dons were awesome back then and massive favourites to beat us. No chance. Willie Irvine (the first one and my hero back then) delivered a deadly double to sink them.

Also recall watching Meadowbank play the Fergies team around 1984 at Meadowbank in the league Cup. Think Dons won 4-1 (?) Some team back then. Bankies did well though.

Good Times

I think that was the record attendance for a game at Meadowbank.

Mibbes Aye
22-05-2020, 10:18 AM
This was an era when there was precious little televised football. I remember listening to them playing an English team on the radio, during a European run, Ipswich Town maybe, who were a decent side although maybe just past their peak.

My strongest memory is the 1982 Scottish Cup Final, one of the few games that were televised back in the day. Aberdeen against Rangers, 1-1 at full-time so it went to extra time and Aberdeen won 4-1.

Alex McLeish scored Aberdeen’s first, an exquisite chip from the edge of the box. He won’t have scored a better goal than that. He may not have scored another goal than that :greengrin

Hibeesmad
22-05-2020, 10:40 AM

I agree. I really liked their gold away one from the season just gone.

JeMeSouviens
22-05-2020, 10:50 AM
Ferguson obviously did a brilliant job up there but it's also one of the few times in Scottish football when a club has been rich enough to withstand Celtc or one of the Rangers buying their best players.

CMurdoch
22-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Watching this on iPlayer and had forgotten just how formidable a team they were.
Great to watch the ugly sisters getting bossed in Cup Finals and League deciders.
However at around 1hour 20 minutes, the pick of the bunch. When Fergies teams luck runs out, the 1986 Cup Final. Against the Famous. Who are just about to wrap up League and Cup double glory. Hang on, there must be something wrong with my set, this is not history as Medals Mackay would have us believe.......

Watched that a couple of nights ago on the BBC iplayer. Very near the start they showed highlights of Hibs against them near the end of the 1979/80 season and we were absolutely clueless/horrific on the defending front. Was like something out of "Gregory's Girl" Those who give Hanlon a hard time should watch it back on the BBC iplayer.

Liberal Hibby
22-05-2020, 10:53 AM
This was an era when there was precious little televised football. I remember listening to them playing an English team on the radio, during a European run, Ipswich Town maybe, who were a decent side although maybe just past their peak.

My strongest memory is the 1982 Scottish Cup Final, one of the few games that were televised back in the day. Aberdeen against Rangers, 1-1 at full-time so it went to extra time and Aberdeen won 4-1.

Alex McLeish scored Aberdeen’s first, an exquisite chip from the edge of the box. He won’t have scored a better goal than that. He may not have scored another goal than that :greengrin

And Alex Miller fell on his arse for Srachan's (I think) goal...

mjhibby
22-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Hewitt and weir won the final for them but hertz played really well and were unlucky till the third went in. Difference was the defences. Levein all over the place. Marvellous.

Brightside
22-05-2020, 11:25 AM

One of the worst I’ve seen. Beyond me why anyone wants Adidas as kit provider. Their stuff is minging.

Peevemor
22-05-2020, 11:30 AM
One of the worst I’ve seen. Beyond me why anyone wants Adidas as kit provider. Their stuff is minging.

The rounded cut thing on the front of the home top is just weird - it looks like body armour or something.

Brightside
22-05-2020, 11:36 AM
The rounded cut thing on the front of the home top is just weird - it looks like body armour or something.

And the away just has a patch on the front for the sponsor. Please Hibs never go to Adidas.

JeMeSouviens
22-05-2020, 12:14 PM
And the away just has a patch on the front for the sponsor. Please Hibs never go to Adidas.

They are honkers right enough. I think our late 80s/early 90s adidas stuff are probably about my favourite ever Hibs strips though.

Brunswickbill
22-05-2020, 12:33 PM
What’s the name of the film? I’ve not been able to find it.

Yorkshire HFC
22-05-2020, 12:57 PM
Ferguson obviously did a brilliant job up there but it's also one of the few times in Scottish football when a club has been rich enough to withstand Celtc or one of the Rangers buying their best players.

I enjoyed watching it - it was the period I went to the most games - I'm sure I was at Pittodrie for a Hibs game where they paraded the Cup Winners Cup round the ground after the game - they got a good round of applause from the fans. Is that right? I was a student up there at the time, so I may have been to a game as a neutral.

My recollection of that time isn't that Aberdeen spent a lot of money - it's just that there was less money around generally and that it was a much more even playing field. Aberdeen and Dundee United had great managers and coaches and flourished by playing good young Scottish players. It's just a shame Hibs were so dreadful at this time - another wasted opportunity, as Rangers were hopeless and Celtic were inconsistent - finishing 5th in the league one season.

G B Young
22-05-2020, 01:19 PM

Good Times

I remember that Willie Irvine game. Pretty sure it wasn't the first game of the season though, more like September/October. I think Aberdeen scored first then Willie stunned them with two late headers. Mental scenes on the terracing, particularly as we didn't have much to celebrate back then.

JeMeSouviens
22-05-2020, 01:23 PM
I enjoyed watching it - it was the period I went to the most games - I'm sure I was at Pittodrie for a Hibs game where they paraded the Cup Winners Cup round the ground after the game - they got a good round of applause from the fans. Is that right? I was a student up there at the time, so I may have been to a game as a neutral.

My recollection of that time isn't that Aberdeen spent a lot of money - it's just that there was less money around generally and that it was a much more even playing field. Aberdeen and Dundee United had great managers and coaches and flourished by playing good young Scottish players. It's just a shame Hibs were so dreadful at this time - another wasted opportunity, as Rangers were hopeless and Celtic were inconsistent - finishing 5th in the league one season.

They might not have paid out huge transfer fees but they paid big wages. The OF couldn't hoover up the likes of Leighton, Miller, McLeish because they were on just as much at the Dons as they would've got in Glasgow.

It's also true there wasn't as much money around. The Old Huns spent a lot doing up Ibrox around that time and Celtic still had their biscuit tin mentality.

tamig
22-05-2020, 01:29 PM
I hated Fergie’s team at the time as we could barely ever lay a glove on them. My biggest disappointment against them was not beating them in the Cup semi at Dens in 86. We came so close in that game. They were a fantastic side with a solid stable core and some brilliant attacking players. Even when their first choice men weren’t available they always seemed to have guys who could stand in seamlessly.

Keith_M
22-05-2020, 04:29 PM

That's right. The Hibs support joined in the round of applause... and they thanked us by beating us 5-0!

That was also the first time ever I saw a football casual, with around 30 hanging around the area where our buses were parked before the game, all wearing Argyle pattern jumpers.

I thought at at first there was a golf competition somewhere nearby, till they started throwing bricks at us.

BILLYHIBS
22-05-2020, 04:37 PM
What’s the name of the film? I’ve not been able to find it.
Sportscene Scottish Football Classics Sir Alex Ferguson’s Aberdeen

BBCiplayer

CMurdoch
22-05-2020, 06:50 PM
And Alex Miller fell on his arse for Srachan's (I think) goal...

I did chuckle at that. It was akin to the big Hearts strikers comical fall earlier this season.

Brunswickbill
22-05-2020, 07:18 PM
Sportscene Scottish Football Classics Sir Alex Ferguson’s Aberdeen

BBCiplayer

Got it thanks

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-05-2020, 10:08 PM
They were a formidable force at the time. I remember them winning the league at Easter Road. Scottish sides had decent runs in Europe when the OF were arguably at their weakest.

BILLYHIBS
23-05-2020, 09:08 AM
Removed from BBCiplayer :confused:

hibsboy07
24-05-2020, 12:00 PM
For younger readers you have to realise these were the days when you left about 9am on the supporters buses with enough bevvy to last a weekend. 😀😀

If I remember rightly it was the last game of the season and Aberdeen had to win by 2/3 goals to stay up.
Aberdeen won 3-0 but only seen 1goal as the others were at the beach end and couldn't see for the fog.

Michael
24-05-2020, 12:06 PM

Pre-bosman rules were probably pretty helpful.

Bangkok Hibby
24-05-2020, 12:27 PM
I accept I'm in the minority but I think Fergie is an utter tool. I've felt this since his interview pitchside seconds after Aberdeen beat Rangers in the Scottish cup final calling the performance a disgrace. They'd just won the Cup winners cup a couple of weeks before as well. I've heard all the arguments "that's what makes him a winner" blah blah blah...he's still a tool.

BILLYHIBS
24-05-2020, 12:38 PM
I accept I'm in the minority but I think Fergie is an utter tool. I've felt this since his interview pitchside seconds after Aberdeen beat Rangers in the Scottish cup final calling the performance a disgrace. They'd just won the Cup winners cup a couple of weeks before as well. I've heard all the arguments "that's what makes him a winner" blah blah blah...he's still a tool.
:agree:

Defo looked as though he got out of bed the wrong side that day

Needs to pack in the whisky :greengrin

Frazerbob
24-05-2020, 12:55 PM

Roy Keane agrees with you.

SideBurns
24-05-2020, 01:10 PM

Was it not just a few days after they'd won the Cup Winners Cup, rather than a couple of weeks? Which would make the outburst even worse, of course.

Imagine beating Real Madrid in a European final and Rangers in the SC Final, and then your manager publicly calls you "a disgrace" 😂

Bangkok Hibby
24-05-2020, 01:20 PM
Was it not just a few days after they'd won the Cup Winners Cup, rather than a couple of weeks? Which would make the outburst even worse, of course.

Imagine beating Real Madrid in a European final and Rangers in the SC Final, and then your manager publicly calls you "a disgrace" 😂

Yes after I posted I had a look online...it was 10 days.

HoboHarry
24-05-2020, 01:57 PM
:agree:

Defo looked as though he got out of bed the wrong side that day

Needs to pack in the whisky :greengrin
Think red wine is is tipple of choice :greengrin

Just_Jimmy
24-05-2020, 02:24 PM
I accept I'm in the minority but I think Fergie is an utter tool. I've felt this since his interview pitchside seconds after Aberdeen beat Rangers in the Scottish cup final calling the performance a disgrace. They'd just won the Cup winners cup a couple of weeks before as well. I've heard all the arguments "that's what makes him a winner" blah blah blah...he's still a tool.Wish we'd had a manager who was that much of a "tool".

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Glory Lurker
24-05-2020, 04:02 PM
I hated Fergie’s team at the time as we could barely ever lay a glove on them. My biggest disappointment against them was not beating them in the Cup semi at Dens in 86. We came so close in that game. They were a fantastic side with a solid stable core and some brilliant attacking players. Even when their first choice men weren’t available they always seemed to have guys who could stand in seamlessly.

I don't remember us being that competitive in the semi? Someone went close for us really early on, but we were easy beat?

Imagine we'd won though. Can you imagine that Final? 😂

weecounty hibby
24-05-2020, 04:19 PM
I don't remember us being that competitive in the semi? Someone went close for us really early on, but we were easy beat?

Imagine we'd won though. Can you imagine that Final? 😂
John Collins hit the bar but in truth we were never really in it. Was the same as the LC final, well beaten by a really good Aberdeen side.
Our bus broke down on the way to the game that day just outside Bridge of Allan but everyone made it to the game by hitch hiking. 4 of us got a lift from Raymond Sparkes. Summed up our day really.