PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Fyvie

JDT
21-05-2020, 06:29 AM
http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2020/05/20/he-was-in-tears-and-said-my-grandad-died-the-happiest-man-in-the-world-fraser-fyvie-on-hibs-2016-scottish-cup-triumph-hibs-scottish-cup-alan-stubbs-fa-cup-wigan-manchester-city-uwe-rosler/

Article from Fraser Fyvie talking about the cup victory and other footballing memories. Sorry I'm rubbish at posting links

seanshow
21-05-2020, 06:38 AM
http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2020/05/20/he-was-in-tears-and-said-my-grandad-died-the-happiest-man-in-the-world-fraser-fyvie-on-hibs-2016-scottish-cup-triumph-hibs-scottish-cup-alan-stubbs-fa-cup-wigan-manchester-city-uwe-rosler/

........£250 a week :cool2:

theonlywayisup
21-05-2020, 06:47 AM
Great read. I really enjoyed his time at Easter Road. I always maintain our form went downhill after he got injured away at Morton. He was excellent on cup final day.

oneone73
21-05-2020, 06:54 AM
Good article. Never knew Owen Coyle was a Scotsman, though. And £250 a week??

The Spaceman
21-05-2020, 06:58 AM
He was a great wee player who has had an unfortunate turn of luck since leaving Hibs. Either way though, looking back on a career with FA and Scottish Cup winners medals in your pocket is not too shabby at all. Always welcome back at ER.

tamig
21-05-2020, 06:58 AM
Good article. Never knew Owen Coyle was a Scotsman, though. And £250 a week??

Have you never heard Owen Coyle speak? He’s from the same line of “Irishmen” as McGeady and McCarthy.

Waxy
21-05-2020, 07:02 AM
Fraser Fyvie. Drove us forward from defence to attack in injury time that day.A legend.

Haymaker
21-05-2020, 07:07 AM
Fraser Fyvie. Drove us forward from defence to attack in injury time that day.A legend.

Won't lie... I was raging he didn't play Stokes in earlier...

jacomo
21-05-2020, 07:15 AM
Great interview, thanks.

I will still maintain that him and Dylan being injured had a huge impact on our season during that Feb-April spell, where our league campaign faltered and we lost the League Cup Final.

If Fyvie has been fit we would probably have beaten Ross County.

Still, as he says... everything happens for a reason.

Pretty Boy
21-05-2020, 07:18 AM
Whilst McGinn is an obvious miss I think the last couple of seasons has shown that players like Fyvie and McGeouch aren't easily replaced either. Arguably we haven't quite managed it yet.

Fyvie was a criminally underrated player. Another one who was questioned because he didn't go on mazy runs or ping 60 yard passes about the place. What he did do was vital though and he was good at it.

Pretty Boy
21-05-2020, 07:19 AM
Great interview, thanks.

I will still maintain that him and Dylan being injured had a huge impact on our season during that Feb-April spell, where our league campaign faltered and we lost the League Cup Final.

If Fyvie has been fit we would probably have beaten Ross County.

Still, as he says... everything happens for a reason.

It's a certainty for me. Look at the midfield we lined up with that day and, no disrespect to the guys that played, the 2 players you mention would have improved it massively. Add Paul Hanlon to the list as well.

SideBurns
21-05-2020, 07:40 AM
Whilst McGinn is an obvious miss I think the last couple of seasons has shown that players like Fyvie and McGeouch aren't easily replaced either. Arguably we haven't quite managed it yet.

Fyvie was a criminally underrated player. Another one who was questioned because he didn't go on mazy runs or ping 60 yard passes about the place. What he did do was vital though and he was good at it.

Agreed. What I particularly liked about Fyvie was he could be having a poor game, nothing going right for him - but, he never hid. I saw him turn performances around because of this attitude and strength of character. Rated him very highly during a period when we were spoiled for quality midfielders.

green day
21-05-2020, 07:46 AM
If anyone questions FF quality, watch the full match today and the lead up to the corner for our winner.

FF has the ball and resists the temptation to play the instant pass, holds on for a second longer and plays the pass that allows Stokes to force the save.

Very clever move, especially in a cup final and at the 90 minute mark.

lucky
21-05-2020, 07:55 AM
FF was a great player for Hibs but often got slaughtered in here after games. I doubt he was on £250 a week and I don’t recall him getting a six month contract either but the article was a good read.

B.H.F.C
21-05-2020, 07:57 AM
If anyone questions FF quality, watch the full match today and the lead up to the corner for our winner.

FF has the ball and resists the temptation to play the instant pass, holds on for a second longer and plays the pass that allows Stokes to force the save.

Very clever move, especially in a cup final and at the 90 minute mark.

I don’t think that’s the best example of his quality. The chance was there a second earlier to put Stokes properly in and he didn’t.

The corner for the equaliser, where he decided to take the corner which they’d worked on rather than smash an aimless ball in was a much better example of him being clever that day IMO.

Smartie
21-05-2020, 07:57 AM

:agree:

McGinn and McGeouch tend to get the plaudits but he was on a similar level to them for much of his time with us.

We haven't had that many midfielders better than him over the years - he was at the club at a time when we had some genuinely fantastic players in his position, at many other times he'd have stood out.

History hasn't been as kind to him as it should have, the only reason he isn't playing at a much higher level is injury (and possibly desire to base himself in the NE). From a footballing perspective he effectively called time on his own career far too soon.

MWHIBBIES
21-05-2020, 07:58 AM
Imagine the contract was heavily performance based. If he was on 250 quid it probably at least doubled with appearance fees and other stuff.

Smartie
21-05-2020, 07:59 AM
FF was a great player for Hibs but often got slaughtered in here after games. I doubt he was on £250 a week and I don’t recall him getting a six month contract either but the article was a good read.

I think he initially came in January on a short term contract until the summer, and I remember thinking it was a bit of a coup at the time. He'd gone to England with a very decent reputation, came back still at a very young age and we were in the Championship with a few high profile players.

B.H.F.C
21-05-2020, 08:00 AM

He did initially sign for six months when we were in our first championship season. Then signed for a couple of years in the summer.

JDT
21-05-2020, 08:36 AM
Our central midfielders the cup final season were ridiculous when you look back. McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, Bartley, Henderson & Thomson. All played a huge part at various points in the season and we were lucky to have them

The Modfather
21-05-2020, 08:43 AM

All about opinions etc etc, and I think the likes of McGeough has helped with a general appreciation of those who do the simple, less glamorous things, but do them well.

However I think Fyvie is as equally overrated as he is underrated. He wasn’t in the same class as McGinn or McGeough IMO. A good backup for both, and by no means a bad player. He also has lots of admirable qualities and part of that squad we all felt an affinity with. On ability though, I saw him as an excellent back up but not good enough in any one aspect or role to be a starter. Would have kept him when he left but at the same time wasn’t particularly gutted he chose to leave. The fact our subsequent recruitment has been poor is a different matter IMO.

MWHIBBIES
21-05-2020, 09:21 AM
All about opinions etc etc, and I think the likes of McGeough has helped with a general appreciation of those who do the simple, less glamorous things, but do them well.

However I think Fyvie is as equally overrated as he is underrated. He wasn’t in the same class as McGinn or McGeough IMO. A good backup for both, and by no means a bad player. He also has lots of admirable qualities and part of that squad we all felt an affinity with. On ability though, I saw him as an excellent back up but not good enough in any one aspect or role to be a starter. Would have kept him when he left but at the same time wasn’t particularly gutted he chose to leave. The fact our subsequent recruitment has been poor is a different matter IMO.

He literally started the greatest Hibs achievement in decades. He, along with everyone else that day, was more than good enough to be a starter.

O'Rourke3
21-05-2020, 09:27 AM
Still gutted he left the way he did. Brilliant attitude and a very decent footballer. Had an unfortunate error in him but we were better with him in the team.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

FilipinoHibs
21-05-2020, 09:34 AM

I think his weak points were miss placed passes to opponents, often trying the too difficult option. He worked hard and never let a poor performance get him. Pass selection improved over time. Screwed up his contract negotiations or could have still been at Hibs

The Modfather
21-05-2020, 09:53 AM
He literally started the greatest Hibs achievement in decades. He, along with everyone else that day, was more than good enough to be a starter.

So did Conrad Logan but I don’t think he was good enough, Roy of the Rovers stuff aside, to be our first choice goalkeeper. Both Logan and Fyvie were excellent that day but not sure it’s all that relevant to my whole post.

MWHIBBIES
21-05-2020, 09:58 AM
So did Conrad Logan but I don’t think he was good enough, Roy of the Rovers stuff aside, to be our first choice goalkeeper. Both Logan and Fyvie were excellent that day but not sure it’s all that relevant to my whole post.

Fyvie was excellent in the majority of games over 2.5 years. Logan is very different, not a great comparison.

Waxy
21-05-2020, 09:59 AM
Won't lie... I was raging he didn't play Stokes in earlier...

It was just meant to be.

The Modfather
21-05-2020, 10:02 AM
Fyvie was excellent in the majority of games over 2.5 years. Logan is very different, not a great comparison.

Why isn’t it a great comparison? You listed one specific game to make the point that Fyvie was good enough to be a regular starter. I countered with a player who played in that same game.

I saw Fyvie’s performances in his spell slightly differently to you which is fine as it’s all subjective

MWHIBBIES
21-05-2020, 11:16 AM
Why isn’t it a great comparison? You listed one specific game to make the point that Fyvie was good enough to be a regular starter. I countered with a player who played in that same game.

I saw Fyvie’s performances in his spell slightly differently to you which is fine as it’s all subjective

I just don't agree he wasn't good enough to start when he was starting whenever he was fit in an excellent, cup winning Hibs side.

Conrad is an awful comparison, he played about 7 games and made a few howlers. He had a brilliant semi performance but was never a long term solution.

Smartie
21-05-2020, 11:31 AM
For all I was (and still am) a huge Fyvie fan, I do remember he split the support a bit, like some players tend to do.

Whilst we had a lot of great results when he was with us (results that he played a big part in) we also had a fair number of stinkers too, poor team performances that he was a part of.

LeithMike
21-05-2020, 05:38 PM

However I think Fyvie is as equally overrated as he is underrated. He wasn’t in the same class as McGinn or McGeough IMO. A good backup for both, and by no means a bad player. He also has lots of admirable qualities and part of that squad we all felt an affinity with. On ability though, I saw him as an excellent back up but not good enough in any one aspect or role to be a starter. Would have kept him when he left but at the same time wasn’t particularly gutted he chose to leave. The fact our subsequent recruitment has been poor is a different matter IMO.Agree with this. I think Fyvie was a good functional player but we were struggling to win league games in the Championship when he was in the team. I also think his presence hampered Dylan who often got shunted out to the right of the diamond while Fyie played at the base of it.

The game that exemplified this most was the cup game at Raith where Hibs had a wretched first half. Dylan swapped positions with Fyvie and Hibs became a different team with Dylan composed on the ball deep in Hibs half and started driving us forward. Fyvie just didn't have this in his locker and didn't really have the place to play out wide either.

All that said, Dylan was injured a lot and Fyvie made huge contributions in his time at Hibs. He also spoke in glowing terms if his time at the club and the impact of the Cup final on him was clear to see. So, while he might not have been the greatest player to wear the green, he was certainly one of the most vital and a good all round guy so goes down as a legend for me.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Alfred E Newman
21-05-2020, 06:42 PM
Watching the re run of the final this aft and that great day had to be one of Fyvie's best games for Hibs. Hardly put a foot wrong and rarely wasted a pass.

weecounty hibby
21-05-2020, 06:44 PM
He had a great game that day. I watched the game today and followed twitter throughout. FF was very complimentary about Hibs today

Saint Hibee
21-05-2020, 07:34 PM
I think his weak points were miss placed passes to opponents, often trying the too difficult option. He worked hard and never let a poor performance get him. Pass selection improved over time. Screwed up his contract negotiations or could have still been at Hibs

I liked Fyvie, but I think his missplaced pass at Ibrox which basically cost us the match led to a lot of Hibs fans dismissing him, perhaps slightly prematurely.

MWHIBBIES
21-05-2020, 08:10 PM
I liked Fyvie, but I think his missplaced pass at Ibrox which basically cost us the match led to a lot of Hibs fans dismissing him, perhaps slightly prematurely.

Slightly? Guy plays a massive part in us winning the cup after 114 years and he is dismissed by some because of a bad pass?

Anyone who done that is, quite frankly, an absolute tool.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-05-2020, 09:15 PM

Article from Fraser Fyvie talking about the cup victory and other footballing memories. Sorry I'm rubbish at posting links

Good lad Fraser.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-05-2020, 09:19 PM
Watching the re run of the final this aft and that great day had to be one of Fyvie's best games for Hibs. Hardly put a foot wrong and rarely wasted a pass.

:agree: He got stuck in about them late on and helped instil the belief that we could beat them. Boy's a legend.